• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

COE prices for 1,600cc cars, commercial vehicles set new records. LTA huat ah.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In 1994, nobody complained when coe reach 100k for open category ?

In 1994. Only rich can afford to drive car. Very less low pay buy car.
Now even clerk.security guard also drive car. Human nature just jealous of other better than them.
Keep on comparing house type HDB/condo/landed, type of phone.............

CheongSam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now even clerk.security guard also drive car. Human nature just jealous of other better than them.

Even though Coe was 100k, roads were not congested like today and there was no ERP..so I guess it was still cheaper.

Rambutan

Alfrescian
Loyal
When car ownership (financed or otherwise) became a status symbol, there will be no shortage of bidders even when the price is expected to be set a such exhorbitant level.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
When car ownership (financed or otherwise) became a status symbol, there will be no shortage of bidders even when the price is expected to be set a such exhorbitant level.
Let those dumb ass who crave the status symbol pay for it. Most upper middle class in hk, London and NYC don't own a car even though the car prices are relatively cheap over there. Sinkies need to grow up.

On the other hand, govt need to control immigration, else businesses will be strangled by high COE and property prices.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
And back in those days the public transport network is less extensive and user friendly. Wheelchair in mrt and bus were unheard of. Nowadays so common to see motorisd wheelchairs on buses and mrt. Yet ordinary folks are willing to pay and arm and leg for an unnecessay car? Mind boggling.

Last edited:

goondusamy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even without the taxi companies bidding in the same cat, the prices continued to go up despite the already very high priced COE. Like that, it defies my basic economics understanding. Less demand, prices should come down.

LTA got kelong or not? Got transparency?

Or the car dealer do hand leg (in canto/mandarin) or leg hand (in hokkien)?

Why garment no let private individual bid themselves and stop all the car packaging deals.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal

In 1994, I enjoyed taking public transport and I could afford property closer to the city centre.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Are you driving them? I enjoy them immensely, you like rice rockets, I like my mini.

I love driving the Mini. I've even raced them. I just don't want to own one. My neighbor has a Cooper S rocket. I've had to pick him up from the side of the road 3 times in two years because it broke down and left him strandad. The water pump gave up the ghost twice and the transmission failed when the car was 6 months old and had to be replaced. Luckily all these disasters were covered by the warranty but it's not a car you want to depend upon for day to day use.

There are even websites dedicated to Mini problems.

JD Powers gives it a below average rating too.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bad luck for him then. I've owned 2 minis so far, both cooper S. They are a thrill to drive! To each your own. May you enjoy your rice rocket like my mini.

I love driving the Mini. I've even raced them. I just don't want to own one. My neighbor has a Cooper S rocket. I've had to pick him up from the side of the road 3 times in two years because it broke down and left him strandad. The water pump gave up the ghost twice and the transmission failed when the car was 6 months old and had to be replaced. Luckily all these disasters were covered by the warranty but it's not a car you want to depend upon for day to day use.

There are even websites dedicated to Mini problems.

JD Powers gives it a below average rating too.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bad luck for him then. I've owned 2 minis so far, both cooper S. They are a thrill to drive! To each your own. May you enjoy your rice rocket like my mini.

Cult cars are for the well-heeled in Singapore and not for the ordinary folks.

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
1,600CC BELOW - SGD 78,523 = RM 196,000 (Can buy practically any cars below 1,600cc or two of each proton & perodua models with still money to spare for illegal modification)
1,600CC ABOVE - SGD 90,200 = RM 225,000 (Can but most Japanese models above 1,600cc with enough spare change again for illegal modifications)
OPEN - SGD 97,000 = RM 242,000 (Top up another RM 5,000 and you can get a VW CC or Tiguan)
COMMERCIAL VEHICLE - SGD 63,035 = RM 157,000 (All commercial vehicles with enough to buy stock & start small shop lah)
MOTORCYCLE - SGD 1,612 = RM 4,000 (Enough to buy a Japanese model scooter)

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In 1994, I enjoyed taking public transport and I could afford property closer to the city centre.

That time. Enjoy taking bus/MRT not crowded. Also taxi easy to get.
Best is get a house near to work place. Cycle to work.