• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

CCB poodles stopping SDP for revealing the truth about ISA!!!

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's nothing to arrest, charge or sue over speaking up for Francis, Fong Har & Co. 99.9% of Singapore either don't know who the hell are them or don't give damn. They're not vote threatening issues. VW if he wants to be in Parliament, he has to move away from SDP captive trap of such vote losing issues to vote winning issues.

Let's put it this way. People vote for their future. They don't vote to avenge the past especially for strangers.

Ramseth, you should read further at http://sg.news.yahoo.com/police-probe-sdp-forum-involving-exiled-isa-detainees.html

You can really feel the pulse of the ppl wanting the gahmen to own up! Calls for the two so-called 'fugitives' to be given a fair trial is loud and clear. These are not issues to be swept aside by you or the gahmen.

This evil PAP has to start the healing process. Be inclusive. Be open and tolerant. Ppl are now more informed of what the PAP had done to citizens who did nothing more than just stood up for democratic principles. They will not stand for more nonsense from this gahmen.

And the PAP knows it. This is why the threathening noises are out as they know no other ways to stamp the tide. Concerned citizens will express their disgust and disdain for such threats. They will stand as one for their fellow men, strangers not withstanding.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most people have a sense of fairness and justice because it is programmed into our DNA. Even if only a few people have ever been arrested in this way, more and more may start feeling their pain (and be reminded of their own pain from some other injustice, whether from foreign competition or what not - the emotional mind works strangely). The forum taps into this emotion about fairness. Elites and family have multiple homes all over the world; their adversaries cannot come home.

The court of public opinion has now become bigger because of publicity from social, MSM. The police statement and VW's add fuel to fire. VW has little to loose and some to gain from this.

This issue is going to keep popping up. Authoritarian abuses, inequalities from mid-east to america is also drawing bigger and bigger following. With economic downturn coming again, trust will drop, pain increase.

Hi Checker, Ramseth missed your piece. Or at least the gist of your message.

This is why I direct him to yahoo news to have a feel of the ground, http://sg.news.yahoo.com/police-probe-sdp-forum-involving-exiled-isa-detainees.html

Annoyed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pulse of the people? Loud and Clear? Stand as one with their fellowmen? Please tell me we're living in the same country. The Singapore I know is made up of gimme-pigs; most people can't look past their own noses.

You can really feel the pulse of the ppl wanting the gahmen to own up! Calls for the two so-called 'fugitives' to be given a fair trial is loud and clear. These are not issues to be swept aside by you or the gahmen.

Concerned citizens will express their disgust and disdain for such threats. They will stand as one for their fellow men, strangers not withstanding.

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pulse of the people? Loud and Clear? Stand as one with their fellowmen? Please tell me we're living in the same country. The Singapore I know is made up of gimme-pigs; most people can't look past their own noses.

He was referring to the forum attendants. Most Singaporeans are just interested in eating, fucking and shopping. Ask them about the ISA and they'll say, "The government says they are Marxists, so they must be Marxists."

Last edited:

Annoyed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Absolutely. And what percentage of Singaporeans do the forum attendees take up, versus those who are merely interested in eating, fucking and shopping?

When a term like "pulse of the people" is used, I take it to mean a popular movement. Which I don't suppose the forum actually qualifies as. I hope I live to see the day that Singaporeans actually are able to see past their own noses. But that day isn't here. Yet.

He was referring to the forum attendants. Most Singaporeans are just interested in eating, fucking and shopping. Ask them about the ISA and they'll say, "The government says they are Marxists, so they must be Marxists."

Last edited:

Checker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most people are materialistic, self-centred, want to be one-up because feels good. But at some point, as it gets too competitive, stressful, crowded, they become more aware how useless their efforts to get ahead are.

This is different generation from those growing up in 50s or 60s when lives got better and better. Many younger people 30-40 yrs will be 'poorer' than their parents when they were their age (taking into account different value of money eg many school teachers in the 1970s-80s easily own landed homes or large flats, fully paid in less than 10yrs - their more highly educated children can only dream of getting this now).

So people getting more and more unhappy, angry as hopes and expectations not met. Start to notice inequalities, unfairness, alternatives, and act / vote on them. Aided by unstoppable free flow of information on internet/ social media. Otherwise all this ancient ISD history won't be popping up so often 20 years later.

Annoyed

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's quite a leap in logic though.

Being unhappy if you are unable to afford the landed property your parents could 30 years ago, is different from being unhappy if you are able to afford the landed property BUT feel for those who are sleeping on their streets and watching ah pors make a living from collecting paper boxes. The former is not seeing past one's nose; the latter is.

Ever wonder why there's a tendency to equate rich people as voting for the status quo, and poor people not? Because we like to assume that if the current system serves you well, there is no need to seek alternatives. Why rock the boat, most will ask. That assumption itself is very telling: it presupposes that if you are affluent, you wouldn't spare a thought for the handicapped, destitute, single mothers who receive no subsidies, uncles and aunties who have to compete with foreign workers for table-cleaning jobs, young couples who keep putting off their marriage because they cannot afford a flat.

Are people not being self-centred if they only start looking at alternative methods of governance because they sense a futility in their effort to get ahead? It's one thing to expect the establishment to fulfil its end of the social contract; it's another to want a different social contract altogether. My personal sense is that more people are voting due to the former, not the latter.

Here's an example of a person who sees past his own nose: Alex Au of Yawning Bread fame. Some of us might equate him solely with the anti-377A movement, but that cannot be further from the truth. Read his blog, and you'll see that he devotes considerable time to discussing even the plight of low-skilled foreign workers in Singapore, some of whom get very short shrift. That's a completely different ball-game from the typical anti-PAP rant that runs along the lines of, "Vote them out! They're bringing in too many cheenapoks and banglas!"

Am I expecting everyone to speak out for the same things Alex Au does? No. But I'm saying that until and unless more people are able to see past their own needs, the movement to get rid of ISA will continue to remain a marginal one. I once had a law student tell me, "I support the use of the ISA on anyone but myself." Believe me, it sent a shiver down my spine and a chill to my heart. But you know what? I can't help thinking that most Singaporeans are, somehow or another, wired this way.

Most people are materialistic, self-centred, want to be one-up because feels good. But at some point, as it gets too competitive, stressful, crowded, they become more aware how useless their efforts to get ahead are.

This is different generation from those growing up in 50s or 60s when lives got better and better. Many younger people 30-40 yrs will be 'poorer' than their parents when they were their age (taking into account different value of money eg many school teachers in the 1970s-80s easily own landed homes or large flats, fully paid in less than 10yrs - their more highly educated children can only dream of getting this now).

So people getting more and more unhappy, angry as hopes and expectations not met. Start to notice inequalities, unfairness, alternatives, and act / vote on them. Aided by unstoppable free flow of information on internet/ social media. Otherwise all this ancient ISD history won't be popping up so often 20 years later.

Last edited:

Checker

Alfrescian
Loyal
When people are annoyed and unhappy, they're irritable, MAYBE get upset with things that relate logically to them, also things that are not directly related logically to them. Emotional mind not always logical. Eg the arab spring started when a fruit seller in Tunisia made a big dramatic gesture. That reminded people of the various completely unrelated unfairness done to them, and the rest is history.

Now, I'm not saying this present issue is anywhere close. Far from it. In fact, agree it's still non-issue for most people. But there does seem a little more talk and attention about this now, 20 years later, than 10yrs ago, 15yrs ago closer to the incident. Why? Many reasons of course. But something to watch is extent to which people feel 'victimized' by authorities... put in a stressful spot but cannot do anything about it. When more and more feel this way and there's little outlet, problems and illogical thinking can happen. Nobody's going on the streets anytime soon obviously. But suspect stress and divisions in society have a part to play in all this increased attention to these seemingly ancient events.