• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can Singapore produce a Michelin fishball noodle store one day?

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Read somewhere here before about a wonton noodle store in Hong Kong achieving Michelin status so I went in search of it this morning and found it. Here is it -

362914ED-2F10-4EB7-A05A-6EE92B25E6AB-3370-00000094E479FE51_zps801cc6e9.jpg

4AAC4C7F-7F5A-476F-A0CD-95D3BD16C576-3370-000000950C04F0BB_zpsd608bb11.jpg

C2894F8B-CE38-43EF-A7F1-88BFD11A4376-3370-0000009524C3B85B_zps0e8b4e5e.jpg

Its a bloody small bowl of noodle with 4 average sized wontons. Is this worth S$5 a bowl? Probably not. The taste? I have to say the soup is really nice, light but tasty and not a hint of MSG. The noodle is like many wonton noodle store here, crunchy and thin. The wonton again is like many stores here nothing special. So finally only the soup is really different. I will probably not specially go back again because many other stores can do the same here bit for the novelty that its Michelin and also Anthony Bordain had done a write up on this store I guess its worth it.

It's back to sinkieland later. So the big question when I get home, "can one day one of our hawkers get a Michelin star or have we already done that?"

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So the big question when I get home, "can one day one of our hawkers get a Michelin star or have we already done that?"

Like all industry certifications and accreditation, the Michelin star can be "bought" as long as the panel makes some profit from it.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
even mandarin chicken rice also no bridgestone star. fishball noodle confirm no chance.

just had chatterbox chicken rice last week........now price is $27++
lousy standard dropped.....chopped pieces of wings (sans my favourite tips), rice and a bowl of soup with one piece tauhoo inside.
get better quality and value for money along hylam street.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lousy standard dropped.....chopped pieces of wings (sans my favourite tips), rice and a bowl of soup with one piece tauhoo inside.

been there a couple time but i never order chicken rice. i find it stupid to pay $30 plus tax for something that can be brought elsewhere at 10% of the price. and i bet the taste wont be less than 10% of what chatterbox can offer.

no sure my mom smoke me or not, she say her friend's hubby was the one who make the chilli for the chicken rice. so if the chilli not make by the chef, then the chef cannot claim the credits for the dish, rite?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
been there a couple time but i never order chicken rice. i find it stupid to pay $30 plus tax for something that can be brought elsewhere at 10% of the price. and i bet the taste wont be less than 10% of what chatterbox can offer.

no sure my mom smoke me or not, she say her friend's hubby was the one who make the chilli for the chicken rice. so if the chilli not make by the chef, then the chef cannot claim the credits for the dish, rite?
back then when the coffeeshop still on the ground floor.....the chicken rice was indeed one of the best (alongside swee kee)....it was also the most expensive (no change there). Once of the chefs who cooked the dish left years ago opened up stall along balestier road........strangely the business din make it.

back to the chilli...it was good but not the best.....overall in a nutshell it was a letdown. The place also have laksa and other local fare (jacked up prices).....with such prices i dun think they are targeting locals.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read somewhere here before about a wonton noodle store in Hong Kong achieving Michelin status so I went in search of it this morning and found it. Here is it -

362914ED-2F10-4EB7-A05A-6EE92B25E6AB-3370-00000094E479FE51_zps801cc6e9.jpg

4AAC4C7F-7F5A-476F-A0CD-95D3BD16C576-3370-000000950C04F0BB_zpsd608bb11.jpg

C2894F8B-CE38-43EF-A7F1-88BFD11A4376-3370-0000009524C3B85B_zps0e8b4e5e.jpg

Its a bloody small bowl of noodle with 4 average sized wontons. Is this worth S$5 a bowl? Probably not. The taste? I have to say the soup is really nice, light but tasty and not a hint of MSG. The noodle is like many wonton noodle store here, crunchy and thin. The wonton again is like many stores here nothing special. So finally only the soup is really different. I will probably not specially go back again because many other stores can do the same here bit for the novelty that its Michelin and also Anthony Bordain had done a write up on this store I guess its worth it.

It's back to sinkieland later. So the big question when I get home, "can one day one of our hawkers get a Michelin star or have we already done that?"
Of the $5 you paid, $3 goes directly into the landlord. How to give you good ingredient and good quality food?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

if you are a vegetarian, you will not need to pay so much for food.

Last edited:

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like all industry certifications and accreditation, the Michelin star can be "bought" as long as the panel makes some profit from it.

like this:

http://sra.sg/?page_id=5
About Us

Singapore Resource Association is an innovative organization that offers a full suite of marketing exposures and recognitions, to the local SMEs, helping them to expand and also, gain publicity and awareness from the public. It is made up of an experienced team which believe in delivering results with teamwork, professionalism and integrity.

Our Mission

Singapore’s Outstanding Enterprise promotes and honours our local self-determined entrepreneurs whom possess entrepreneurial spirits, operating small and medium-sized businesses. The initiative is also to inspire Singaporeans, especially our younger generation, to become entrepreneurs by capitalizing their knowledge and creativity which will be useful to our society and valuable to our country’s growth.

Who we are

Singapore Resource Association is an innovative, multi-farious organization made up of an adroit, impeccably discerning team which postulates proffering results with superlative teamwork, experienced professionalism and integrity. We perceive the reality that there are many underlying, potent Small-to-Medium Enterprises (SMEs) around. We hope to capitalize on this opportunity to redux them, to accentuate, ameliorate them, and en task fiscal boosts. We are privately-owned and not related to any governmental body or official.

What we do

Singapore Resource Association yields a full gamut of market exposures and recognition to the local SMEs, helping them to expand, culminate, and also, attain publicity and awareness from the public.

Multi-facets we effectuate:
Certifying qualified SMEs
Circulation of pertinent publications
Media endorsements
Act of charitable work

With rational thoughts and coherent actions, Singapore Resource Association, yields you and your company utmost satisfactory experience could ever peruse.

jw5

Loyal

If Michelin were to really bother trying to credit a fishball noodle stall in SG, there would be plenty of candidates.
Same for wanton noodles, SG style not HK style.
But why bother about their ratings or acrreditation? Just enjoy the noodles.

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just in case, there is another Michelin star wanton noodle place next to Times Square. Same sized wanton noodles but just as good. They have a beef brisket noodle (looks like our beef hor fun) there too which is pretty good. Its just across the road from the times sq clock tower pavilion. Cant remember the name but you can see the same Michelin star label.

There is also a Michelin star Dim Sum just right behind the streets near Ladies Market. That one have to queue for ah hour just to get in.

there is a website to search all these..

HK is the only place with affordable Michelin star restaurants :smile:

Last edited:

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Yes I agree. But I seriously don't think a small noodle shop will have the financial capability to pay to get a Michelin star or even bother to do it. Oh this shop is not crowded despite the star and for HK standard the price is not like extra expensive.

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
..........i find it stupid to pay $30 plus tax for something that can be brought elsewhere at 10% of the price. and i bet the taste wont be less than 10% of what chatterbox...........

Think about it, imagine you eating $30 chicken rice in chatterbox, some relatives or friends walked pass and saw you eating this expensive chicken rice they will be full of envy for you and your head will swell. The feeling is definitely priceless. Think about it.

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Of the $5 you paid, $3 goes directly into the landlord. How to give you good ingredient and good quality food?

Oh no, $5 a meal is normal in Hing Kong and I did mentioned that the wonton noodles tastes good.