• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can I live in my condo and rent out my HDB?

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
The question was buy another condo and stay in it and rent out the HDB flat. You cannot buy a condo while owning a HDB flat.
hahaha,,,,wrong, you can own a HDB flat and buy any private properties...
Even if u do not own any private property, u are not allowed to sublet your entire flat unless for special reason on a case by case basis.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The question was buy another condo and stay in it and rent out the HDB flat. You cannot buy a condo while owning a HDB flat.

As per current regulation, you can't buy a HDB when you own a Condo whereas you can buy a private property if you own a HDB.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha,,,,wrong, you can own a HDB flat and buy any private properties...
Even if u do not own any private property, u are not allowed to sublet your entire flat unless for special reason on a case by case basis.

I believe you have to let go of one or the other within six months?

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe you have to let go of one or the other within six months?
hahaha.....u can Owner stay in a hdb flat without any restriction and own private properties at the same time......the English should be simple for u to understand..
But if you chose to stay in a private property, then u have to sell your HDB flat within the grace period unless there is special reason on a case by case basis.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
My Taxi Uncle Was Doing This

One of my uncles is doing this (not condo, but stay in another HDB flat with his married son). I think you need to ask HDB just to make sure you are able to do it without stepping on any landmines. Need clearance of 5 years. Now, he needs to wait for another two years.

Quite confusing.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
As per current regulation, you can't buy a HDB when you own a Condo whereas you can buy a private property if you own a HDB.

Yah, something like that. For you to upgrade by buying a condo as an investment or biz, then yes. But, for condo owners to take advantage of limited and high demand for HDB flats is probably a no. HDB is built for dwelling, not investment. Not enough hdb to go around as investment tool. If you want investment buy straight from private property developers.

Every now and then, better check the status of the policy again.

(o)(o)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. I've stayed in my HDB flat for about 8 years. I now intend to buy a condo and live in that condo. But I don't want to sell away my HDB flat since the rental value is quite high. Don't know whether I can lease out my HDB flat or not.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was curious, eventually I plan to move out of Spore & thinking of getting a cheap local address i.e. HDB: for storage, rental income, to be able to vote out the PAP, ...etc

If I stay in JB will the rules permit me to rent out the HDB unit :confused:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For answers you should rally talk to someone at HDB because they keep changing the rules.

You are right, anything to do with HDB, best check with them first, for they change their rules faster than you take down your underwear.:biggrin:

Last edited:

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes u can..Yes u can

Yes u can, if anything u do brings more money for the MIW....( they gouge u whenever possible and give u the most leegitimate reasons)

1) buy a private pty whilst owning a HDB..yes pay me the 7% for the second property.

2.) sell your property when u want to realise your profit..Share the capital gain with me if u make that fast buck..pay me 16% in the first
year (ASSD)

3) Gambling is bad..but it is ok if u pay me the $100 to do so..

4) Road congested...Pay me the money to make it more congested..Pay me the ERP so the roads can stay congested.

So,on the above few examples, u see they can leegalise their reasoning with money.

In short. MONEY TALKS.:*:

nycheong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. I've stayed in my HDB flat for about 8 years. I now intend to buy a condo and live in that condo. But I don't want to sell away my HDB flat since the rental value is quite high. Don't know whether I can lease out my HDB flat or not.
U hv to fully paid for your hdb flat b4 can take another loan to buy private condo. Same apply

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
CPF, Medi-save, Retirement fund and wat not bullshit thrown to Sinkies
just to enrich the Elites, the next Generation better wake up!

Tommyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe HDB will be changing policy soon for dual ownerships for both having private residential and HDB ownership as well. Currently, owners of HDB after residing for 5 years can purchase private residential properties, but the other way round (Private residential owners cannot buy re-sale or new HDB only after selling their property with 30 months period). As listed in the straits Times last month comment by some senior civil servant, that the policies must be fair and balance and for an average citizen and not to enrich for rental benefits.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe HDB will be changing policy soon for dual ownerships for both having private residential and HDB ownership as well. Currently, owners of HDB after residing for 5 years can purchase private residential properties, but the other way round (Private residential owners cannot buy re-sale or new HDB only after selling their property with 30 months period). As listed in the straits Times last month comment by some senior civil servant, that the policies must be fair and balance and for an average citizen and not to enrich for rental benefits.

You are saying that they may disallow HDB owners to buy Private Ppties? Quite unlikely, as they are currently charging them additional 7% ABSD. It's a cash cow for the Gabernment.