• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

BEWARE!!!! 5 for $2/-

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Two weeks ago, I patronized this Malay stall selling goreng pisang and other fried foods. It was their first day of business and they told me to choose 3 items for $1.00. I bought the food because 3 items for $1.00 is quite the norm and reasonable in pasar malam (night market).

Few days later, I went to the same stall to buy the same items but the lady who manned the stall told me to choose 5 items for $2.00. I asked her if I could just buy 3 items but she pretended not to understand my English. After much hand gesturing that I wanted only 3 items, she decided to charge me $1.20 quite reluctantly. So it was
20% inflation. I queried why a sudden 20% increase in her food over just one week and she mumbled something which is not relevant to my question just to shoo me away.

Out of curiosity wanting to know how this group of people conduct business in public places.. I went back again. This time, a Malay guy manned the stall and not surprisingly, he uttered 5 items for $2.00. As usual, there was no indication of food prices on the stall. I told the guy I wanted to buy 3 items but he kept putting words into my mouth that I wanted 5 and started to pack my food... I was puzzled and stopped him immediately and repeated myself several times until I uttered the word "tiga", to his amazement, before he decided to take off 2 items from the plastic bag.

I sensed much displeasure (not unusual as we all knew but have to remain tolerant to him), I paid him $2.00 expecting my change of a dollar or 0.80cts, the most, because it was the 3rd time I bought food from this stall.. He returned me 50 cts. So here it goes, 50% inflation over a span of one week. I tried to reason with him but he turned away and chatted with his own kakis behind the stall. Denial behaviour.

Personally, I am not a racist or like to criticize other religion but now I do understand why conflicts never die between different people intentionally or unintentionally and on many occassions it can be avoided if a party can be more honest and ethical whether as a businessman or individual. This incident if repeated to different host of customers every night can be quite devastating as it may carry bad implications. To me, trust has to be earned and, not just one way traffic, expecting others to give willingly. This world is not build upon self-centeredness thus my purpose is to remind forumners that such group of people do exist.

I learned my lesson from a small price paid and worth its findings because I know I will never ever, again, buy anything from pasar malam stalls that shouted: "5 for $2"!!! and more so to those who pretended not to understand simple Engish or hand gesture.

Last edited:

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
rrqlmv.jpg

"Ahh.. it means 3 for $1 is over"

Vertigo

Alfrescian
Loyal
5 for $2 doesnt mean you can buy 1 for 40 cents or 3 for $1.20..
simply no more 3 for $1, u have to buy 5 minimum to get discount..

finally, myfoot123 can simply choose not to buy but i do not see any attempt to cheat..

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
finally, myfoot123 can simply choose not to buy but i do not see any attempt to cheat..

I did not say they are cheating. They are exploiting others by feigning ignorance so that I can warn other people to avoid these kind of unethical business tactic used during the current economy situation.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time gahmen buy your land for $5 per sq foot. Now HDB "subsidise" and sell you $200 a sq foot. If you can accept this logic, why can you not accept the stall selling 5 for $2 1 week later?

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
In any case, pasar malan operators are losing money !! Why ? It is a passing fad !! In the past, it attracts illegal VCD / DVD pedlars. Now, if they were caught they would be thrown inside Changi 7-Stars hotel. Besides, the merchandise is very expensive, so longer cheap !!

The food is equally expensive and unhygenic, I wonder if NEA really check on them? So many donkey stalls selling Ramli burger, wtf !!

Previously on Hari Raya, they had a 5 days pasar malam. This year, only 3 nights. On these 3 nights, all the stall operators swat mosquitoes !!

Are these stall operators and the one you mentioned is true entrepreneur ? Fuck no !! They are just trying their luck. If I were that serious operator, I will explain my pricing structure clearly - 5 for $2, 3 for $1.50. If not, it will be strictly 5 for $2 no ambiguity and expect lesser business - too rigid.

I learned my lesson from a small price paid and worth its findings because I know I will never ever, again, buy anything from pasar malam stalls that shouted: "5 for $2"!!! and more so to those who pretended not to understand simple Engish or hand gesture.

Vertigo

Alfrescian
Loyal
"unethical business tactic used during the current economy situation" means cheating, no?

point is during the current economic situation when things are not as good, surely there are more important things to do than to nitpick or argue about 50 cents for some goreng pisang?

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another thing is pasar malam operators existed becuz dey tak boleh tahan the high rental fees of landed property. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

breakaway

Alfrescian
Loyal
Two weeks ago, I patronized this Malay stall selling goreng pisang and other fried foods. It was their first day of business and they told me to choose 3 items for $1.00. I bought the food because 3 items for $1.00 is quite the norm and reasonable in pasar malam (night market).

Few days later, I went to the same stall to buy the same items but the lady who manned the stall told me to choose 5 items for $2.00. I asked her if I could just buy 3 items but she pretended not to understand my English. After much hand gesturing that I wanted only 3 items, she decided to charge me $1.20 quite reluctantly. So it was
20% inflation. I queried why a sudden 20% increase in her food over just one week and she mumbled something which is not relevant to my question just to shoo me away.

Out of curiosity wanting to know how this group of people conduct business in public places.. I went back again. This time, a Malay guy manned the stall and not surprisingly, he uttered 5 items for $2.00. As usual, there was no indication of food prices on the stall. I told the guy I wanted to buy 3 items but he kept putting words into my mouth that I wanted 5 and started to pack my food... I was puzzled and stopped him immediately and repeated myself several times until I uttered the word "tiga", to his amazement, before he decided to take off 2 items from the plastic bag.

I sensed much displeasure (not unusual as we all knew but have to remain tolerant to him), I paid him $2.00 expecting my change of a dollar or 0.80cts, the most, because it was the 3rd time I bought food from this stall.. He returned me 50 cts. So here it goes, 50% inflation over a span of one week. I tried to reason with him but he turned away and chatted with his own kakis behind the stall. Denial behaviour.

Personally, I am not a racist or like to criticize other religion but now I do understand why conflicts never die between different people intentionally or unintentionally and on many occassions it can be avoided if a party can be more honest and ethical whether as a businessman or individual. This incident if repeated to different host of customers every night can be quite devastating as it may carry bad implications. To me, trust has to be earned and, not just one way traffic, expecting others to give willingly. This world is not build upon self-centeredness thus my purpose is to remind forumners that such group of people do exist.

you "buay paiseh!" $2 also "kao peh kao bu",simply "buah kan!":oIo:

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Probably it is not the money that is of major concern. It is the principle and integrity/credibility of these stall operators. Would you go to the stalls that are manned by thieves ?

you "buay paiseh!" $2 also "kao peh kao bu",simply "buah kan!":oIo:

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
they are not wrong to do that, SP increase the electric bills, SPH increase newspaper price, MRT,TAXI. ERP HDB everything suma increase. why cant they increase. afterall the GLC and statutory board show no compassion why should the pasar malam store show any.

tate

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I were that serious operator, I will explain my pricing structure clearly - 5 for $2, 3 for $1.50.

Go for those with price clearly displayed or avoid altogether.

After all, it's fried food, not too healthy. Why pay to be unhealthy?

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
not happy, report the matter to CASE lor.
if still not happy, report to NEA to check if they got license or not lor.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN, it's only a few pisang with a different of 20c. You can make back many times rather than complaining.

Again, it was those white scum policy that price out this pasar malam trade. The stall owner in the end might be lossing $$$ after operating.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
KNN, it's only a few pisang with a different of 20c. You can make back many times rather than complaining.

The gist of this matter is a distasteful practice of inconsistency like the way pap never acted what they preached. Thus I am never part of the 66.6% to agree with everything that people thrown at me.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... like the way pap never acted what they preached ...
有樣學樣,冇樣學和尚。

ppl taking 1 million $ salary a yr, woh! ... muz b gd, rite? ... muz b smart, rite? ... so, muz learn fr dem lor! ...

jw5

Loyal
I did not say they are cheating. They are exploiting others by feigning ignorance so that I can warn other people to avoid these kind of unethical business tactic used during the current economy situation.
There is only 1 way to deal with such hawkers.
Don't patronize their stall.
What they are doing is strictly speaking not illegal.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
pls lah ... don't patronise this type of hawkers ... they use an industrial wok to deep-fry the epok-epok inside the HDB flat, stinking up the corridor & stinking up neighbours' laundry ! its against NEA laws ... and HDB laws ... :mad:

i used to know someone (batam indonesians) who did that & his neighbours were very upset ... besides his kitchen is crawling with cockroaches ... unless u like cockroach epok-epok, don't buy from these ppl ... the epok-epok inside got no hen's egg, only cockroach egg (those little 'black pouches') ... no licence, no hygiene, no checks by authorities ... somemore wanna cheat u ?! :rolleyes: