• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Benjamin Pwee wears slippers now!

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Benjamin Pwee joins DPP leadership as acting secretary-general

SINGAPORE - Opposition politician Benjamin Pwee has joined the leadership of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) as acting secretary-general.

He was co-opted into the Central Executive Committee (CEC) at a closed-door meeting yesterday, while six other independents were officially accepted as party members and cadres.

The DPP's secretary-general, Mr Seow Khee Leng, went on leave from the party from yesterday and handed over the leadership reins to Mr Pwee.

The DPP said in a statement that Mr Pwee and his new team will prepare for the party's congress in March, where Mr Pwee will officially take over as secretary-general.

The new team also intends to reach out to other opposition parties through a joint Lunar New Year walkabout, as well as collaboration in various areas.

Mr Pwee is also discussing the possibility of an alliance leadership role to rally the opposition parties to jointly strategise and plan for the next General Election, due in 2016.

The new DPP leadership team will launch several activities, including a day-trip to Pulai and Batu Pahat for residents, monthly "happy hour" at a pub at Clarke Quay and monthly Meet-the-People sessions in selected constituencies.

Also in the CEC are Mr John Chiam (chairman), Mr Mohamad Hamim Aliyas (vice-chairman), Mr Wilfred Leung (assistant secretary-general), Mr Winston Lim (treasurer), Ms Juliana Juwahir (assistant treasurer) Mr Ting Tze Jiang (organising secretary) and Mr Sa'aban Ali (assistant organising secretary).

All, except Mr Lim, are ex-members of the Singapore People's Party.

CHANNEL NEWSASIA

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The title of the thread reminds me of MELLISSA HYAK?

She loved using the "slipperman" word on a politician.

She must be stupid to do so as she, if truly educated, ought to know that the Indian Gandhi wore slippers too.

Wonder where she is now? Hope not a full-time PAP member!

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Benjamin Pwee joins DPP leadership as acting secretary-general

SINGAPORE - Opposition politician Benjamin Pwee has joined the leadership of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) as acting secretary-general.

He was co-opted into the Central Executive Committee (CEC) at a closed-door meeting yesterday, while six other independents were officially accepted as party members and cadres.

The DPP's secretary-general, Mr Seow Khee Leng, went on leave from the party from yesterday and handed over the leadership reins to Mr Pwee.

The DPP said in a statement that Mr Pwee and his new team will prepare for the party's congress in March, where Mr Pwee will officially take over as secretary-general.

CHANNEL NEWSASIA

Everybody leaves a party wanted to be secretary-general. Why huh? If defeated will he quit and became political analysis to blame everyone except himself?

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He's definitely lacking in acumen.

There are more than enough parties to choose from and they are reviving a dormant party which is as good as forming a new one. Publicizing the pubbing event just adds to this.

I was amazed when he said someone had pledged $2 million to SPP charity and was not surprised when nothing was heard after that.

Forget about the "necessary scholar". PAP has many of them.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why are you guys going to understand that NSP follows the UMNO/MCA model rather than the PAP/WP model - in other words, the President is the leader and the Sec Gen is just a runner for the President. Steve Chia never pretended to be the leader, but General of the Armies (minus 10 ranks) Goh Meng Seng tried to be coy and said that the roles were shared - yes, the leader role was with the President and secretary role with the Sec Gen.

Everybody leaves a party wanted to be secretary-general. Why huh? If defeated will he quit and became political analysis to blame everyone except himself?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does Ben Swee know of Seow Khee Leng's background? Why touch a tainted party when he could have started a new one. Afterall, it all news office bearers.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does Ben Swee know of Seow Khee Leng's background? Why touch a tainted party when he could have started a new one. Afterall, it all news office bearers.

The newest party reform party is not doing very well at the moment. Maybe he just wanted to capitalise on existing infrastructure? Maybe taking over an existing party is less work than forming a new one? Maybe getting contacts? Maybe getting name recognition? Scholars are very busy.

Tainted parties still do pretty OK. Before 2011, SDP was a tainted party, but it still did OK during GE 2011.

He probably thought he could wrest SPP away from Chiam See Tong. At the rate that old parties are dying these days it won't be that difficult for him to recruit new members.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why are you guys going to understand that NSP follows the UMNO/MCA model rather than the PAP/WP model - in other words, the President is the leader and the Sec Gen is just a runner for the President. Steve Chia never pretended to be the leader, but General of the Armies (minus 10 ranks) Goh Meng Seng tried to be coy and said that the roles were shared - yes, the leader role was with the President and secretary role with the Sec Gen.

He knew that not before he joined NSP but after.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Frens,,I also surprise that ah pwee who has alot of potential go and join the slipper party,,but think about it,,if the trouble maker leadership resigns,,and it can recruit better candidates and use the existing system to get things done,,,and ah pwee brings in respectability to the party,,there is hope,,but DPP will have to work with all the smaller parties,,,with RP etc,,,than we will have SDP, WP and DPP gang,,sda i cant even bother to mention,,

this was wat hitler did,,he join the nazi party,,small and minor,,and in the end it became big,,,but DPP must really reform,,,its say also that Pwee could have revitalised SPP with CST as paramount leader,,but sigh,,chiam is too reluctant to hand over power,,due to that,,Chiam's legacy is all but gone now,,,he will not get any votes in the neext erection,,maybe can get PP back,,but will ppl vote for Lena Chiam,,,,??? i know i would as she will be better than the SHITO Eat Shit,,,,pap dog,,

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ben Pwee believes that he has what it takes to lead a party into power from scratch, unfortunately this doesn't happen very often in a First Past The Post system. Sure, the Nazi Party managed it, but Germany has always been using a Proportionate Representation system that gave the Nazi Party 32 out of 472 seats with just 6.55% of the total valid votes in their first ever election. In FPTP, small parties mostly have very little chance.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ben Pwee believes that he has what it takes to lead a party into power from scratch, unfortunately this doesn't happen very often in a First Past The Post system. Sure, the Nazi Party managed it, but Germany has always been using a Proportionate Representation system that gave the Nazi Party 32 out of 472 seats with just 6.55% of the total valid votes in their first ever election. In FPTP, small parties mostly have very little chance.

If Ben Pwee grows the party into a respectable size, say 10 seats, he will never form a government. But he could be a significant force in a coalition with other opposition parties. A big if, since everybody now sees him as a defector from Chiam's party.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem is with getting the first seat.
Wherever they want to compete, they not only need to beat the PAP, but they need to convince the voters to vote for them instead of the more mature opposition party.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is with getting the first seat.
Wherever they want to compete, they not only need to beat the PAP, but they need to convince the voters to vote for them instead of the more mature opposition party.

SPP made a fatal mistake. Chiam should have contested Potong Pasir, he would have won. And he would have kept his party together. The only good reason why he couldn't keep Potong Pasir was that he wouldn't have lasted the full term.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
some voters dont like mrs chiam so they vote for PAP and get screwed even more,,CST should have ask Pwee to contest PP and he would have won,,but CST want too much control and now,,CST legaccy is gone,,,

SPP made a fatal mistake. Chiam should have contested Potong Pasir, he would have won. And he would have kept his party together. The only good reason why he couldn't keep Potong Pasir was that he wouldn't have lasted the full term.

liangshan

Alfrescian
Loyal
He's definitely lacking in acumen.

There are more than enough parties to choose from and they are reviving a dormant party which is as good as forming a new one. Publicizing the pubbing event just adds to this.

I was amazed when he said someone had pledged $2 million to SPP charity and was not surprised when nothing was heard after that.

Forget about the "necessary scholar". PAP has many of them.

Prior to this news, Benjamin revealed 3 opposition parties approached him and SDP was not one of them.
One was called the "mega star" big party which I think it's obvious it's WP.
One was DPP.
The other was not revealed. But I'm guessing it's NSP since Benjamin Pwee was quite close to them and went for walkabout with them and Tan Jee Say last Chinese New year. I really thought he would have joined NSP.

And then this pieces of news came out that he's taking over as SG of DPP.

I can only conclude he's as power-hungry as other opposition leaders.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think this guy Benjamin Pwee spent some time in Hong Kong before returning to SG?

If so, he should know the importance of looking the part, for as Polonius said in Hamlet:

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy,
For the apparel oft proclaims the man,
And they in France of the best rank and station
Or of a most select and generous chief in that.

For a Cantonese version of this admonishment, please view the video :rolleyes:

[video=youtube;P5SjBwL-P4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5SjBwL-P4I[/video]

Last edited: