• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Benjamin Pwee wears slippers now!

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
some voters dont like mrs chiam so they vote for PAP and get screwed even more,,CST should have ask Pwee to contest PP and he would have won,,but CST want too much control and now,,CST legaccy is gone,,,

If Ben Pwee contested PP, then most likely he would be the only member of SPP in parliament. CST would have been toothless sec gen. That would have been unacceptable to him.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Prior to this news, Benjamin revealed 3 opposition parties approached him and SDP was not one of them.
One was called the "mega star" big party which I think it's obvious it's WP.
One was DPP.
The other was not revealed. But I'm guessing it's NSP since Benjamin Pwee was quite close to them and went for walkabout with them and Tan Jee Say last Chinese New year. I really thought he would have joined NSP.

And then this pieces of news came out that he's taking over as SG of DPP.

I can only conclude he's as power-hungry as other opposition leaders.

If he don't want to join WP, it is understandable since they would have asked him to work from the bottom up. If he don't want to join NSP, that is a very interesting thing. Maybe he understands something about NSP that would make it truly unappealing to him. I've been reading some of the press releases that Hazel Poa have put out and they don't reflect well on her level of intelligence.

Taking over DPP is almost the same as starting a new party. It's too early to judge Ben Pwee.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
That wasn't part of the grand strategy Uncle Chiam struck with Low. Both Chiam and Low pulled out of their strongholds and led A-teams into a GRC. That's why 2nd rate Yaw got Hougang instead of Show Mao or Sylvia. Can you imagine Bishan Toa-Payoh with Auntie Lina instead of Ben Pwee?

If Ben Pwee contested PP, then most likely he would be the only member of SPP in parliament. CST would have been toothless sec gen. That would have been unacceptable to him.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
That wasn't part of the grand strategy Uncle Chiam struck with Low. Both Chiam and Low pulled out of their strongholds and led A-teams into a GRC. That's why 2nd rate Yaw got Hougang instead of Show Mao or Sylvia. Can you imagine Bishan Toa-Payoh with Auntie Lina instead of Ben Pwee?

That is true. There was a real possibility that Yaw Shin Leong could have been the only opposition party member in parliament when he got caught with his pants down. Low Thia Khiang would take back Hougang on his own now, but a WP with only YSL in parliament would have been extremely weird.

The difference between the two is that there was a realistic chance that LTK and company would capture Aljunied. I estimate that a fully healthy Chiam See Tong would have narrowly lost Bishan Toa Payoh. Problem with that SPP team was that CST was a sick man. If he had to retire, then it's just Ben Pwee with 3 other newbies in parliament.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If he don't want to join WP, it is understandable since they would have asked him to work from the bottom up. If he don't want to join NSP, that is a very interesting thing. Maybe he understands something about NSP that would make it truly unappealing to him. I've been reading some of the press releases that Hazel Poa have put out and they don't reflect well on her level of intelligence.

Taking over DPP is almost the same as starting a new party. It's too early to judge Ben Pwee.

Well the WP has fast-tracked people before, obvious example is Chen Show Mao. My best guess is that Ben Pwee could be up for a fast-track too (maybe not as fast as CSM, but faster than any random new member), but the problem is with his clique, the people that followed him out the SPP doors.

I think the WP is wary about accepting a large group of people at once, especially if they want to stay together and compete in a GRC together. Like what happened with NSP in 2011. I don't think it's healthy and has the potential to create factions within the party.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well the WP has fast-tracked people before, obvious example is Chen Show Mao. My best guess is that Ben Pwee could be up for a fast-track too (maybe not as fast as CSM, but faster than any random new member), but the problem is with his clique, the people that followed him out the SPP doors.

I think the WP is wary about accepting a large group of people at once, especially if they want to stay together and compete in a GRC together. Like what happened with NSP in 2011. I don't think it's healthy and has the potential to create factions within the party.

I don't blame Ben Pwee for surrounding himself with his guys. It is what any entrepreneur would do. What you said would hint at another way of doing things.

1. Set up your own little party with your gang of people.
2. If and when your party has achieved some measure of success, propose to other people to form an alliance.
3. If and when the alliance turns out to be useful and successful, formally announce the consolidation of parties and a merger.

It would be nice if larger parties can be formed that way. SPP, DPP, RP, NSP all at one time or another have had relations with SDA. But mergers are rarely successful.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Presumably the new DPP would be looking at competing in Bishan Toa Payoh GRC in GE2016, but what kind of success can they have? They scored 43%, and that is with Mr Chiam See Tong at the helm. I just can't see them getting past stage 2, and it gets even harder for any new party that wants to join in the fun when there are no more 'spare constituencies' that they can slot in to.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Presumably the new DPP would be looking at competing in Bishan Toa Payoh GRC in GE2016, but what kind of success can they have? They scored 43%, and that is with Mr Chiam See Tong at the helm. I just can't see them getting past stage 2, and it gets even harder for any new party that wants to join in the fun when there are no more 'spare constituencies' that they can slot in to.

My hope is that there will be a natural process of evolution. If KJ doesn't do well and RP implode, then that releases another 11 seats. I think KJ knows this is his last roll of the dice. NSP grabbed their seats when Goh Meng Seng was boss, so they might not do so well at the "land grab" meeting. Or maybe NSP might go for a different strategy this time and contest fewer seats (I think they should, because I think they overstretched in 2011). Parties come and parties go, so I'm not that pessimistic that there are no "spare constituencies". Assuming that LKY is still alive in 2016, then Tanjong Pagar can be seen as a "training ground", as is Ang Mo Kio. Marine Parade is no longer a stronghold because Goh Chok Tong is no longer a big name.

The problem for the PAP is that a lot of the old cabinet stepped down, so all the GRCs are anchored by new names. Bishan Toa Payoh people thought in 2011 that they're voting out Wong Kan Seng. But then he left anyway. So that GRC becomes anchored by Ng Eng Hen in 2016. Is he easier to remove? We'll see. There's a pattern here: if you see one sitting cabinet minister and one potential minister fielded in the same GRC on the PAP side, it's a sign that the sitting one will be moving out.

And to repeat what I've said before, if people get pissed off enough with the PAP, they'll vote opposition, just as long as the opposition guys aren't obviously idiots.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
but,,where is SPP now??? Ok got lina chiam as NCMP,,but do u think if PP still around SPP can win? I dont think CST will stand for erection again,,,