• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bata

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My time bata was considered branded....poor kids wear the china panda or double happiness brands

Yes, when I was in primary school my Bata badminton masters were considered a step up from the Made-in-China hi-top basketball canvas shoes bought from HDB shops. (Anyone know the brand of the hi-tops - white with red stripes running along the side of the soles and ridged rubber toecaps?)

It was only in upper secondary school that brands like Slazenger, Puma, Adidas, Nike started appearing on schoolboys' feet. That was when I got my first pair of Adidas Rom.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Likewise, my el cheapo mom could only afford ah tiong canvas white shoes. Before progressing to badminton master in sec.
And where got kiwi polish, had to do hard labour by using white chalk (cheapest option) to white wash shoe before sunning same.:o

Btw, saw this old 2008-2011 thread on BATA. Czech origins

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread....hat-saw-you-through-the-schooling-years/page3

Weekends were school shoes washing days. Must pre soak before scrubbing.
Every household sun dry outside the flats along corridors.
Dry already then apply kiwi. Apply too thick then you get chalk dust with every step you walked.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
I only paid $50 for that shoes, well worth the money. Good choice by your BF, I find it comfortable and durable, very comfortable walking and even running. :smile:

Just thinking about it since I'm wearing it in the office now, I shouldn't use the strong word "very" but just comfortable for me. And for only $50 for the shoes, I've no complaints. In the past, I had to run on it several times and it was quite comfortable to run on.

Looking at history, Bata has been in Singapore for a very long time and is still thriving here, maybe it's because Sinkies like wearing Bata shoes and their prices are competitive.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not easy to find an all white branded shoe for school.....only Stan Smith fits the bill

that's right. you will find the rich boys all in Stan Smiths and the discipline master will lan-lan. some of these boys will tell us it is easier that way - after school, tennis lessons, no need to change shoes.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nike tennis shoes are disappointing for me, their shoes are expensive but their soles come off quite fast and I had to glue it, and their shoes are not durable for tennis.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
When I played badminton I wore these. I thought it would make me a better player.

bata3.png

For basketball I wore these...

1_41c10d3e0e18ec11f7dc993f4ac8ac22.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Weekends were school shoes washing days. Must pre soak before scrubbing.
Every household sun dry outside the flats along corridors.
Dry already then apply kiwi. Apply too thick then you get chalk dust with every step you walked.
God help you, if you only got 1 pair. If not dry, squelch to school.
Mine had lobang, with toes peeping out ... very cham :o Close, but not so jialat here

images

Happiness was a new el cheapo pair
532fbdcbca47f5dda0b246f062b096df.jpg

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
God help you, if you only got 1 pair. If not dry, squelch to school.
Mine had lobang, with toes peeping out ... very cham :o Close, but not so jialat here

images

Happiness was a new el cheapo pair
532fbdcbca47f5dda0b246f062b096df.jpg

Nowadays Bata has other sub-brands like Power and North Star. Used to deck my kids in them when they were in primary school. Still relatively cheap.

452SAR

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I played badminton I wore these. I thought it would make me a better player.

bata3.png

nice sharing, brings back a lot of old memories. I was like you, thinking that those bata school shoes with green stripes meant I would be a good badminton player.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nice sharing, brings back a lot of old memories. I was like you, thinking that those bata school shoes with green stripes meant I would be a good badminton player.

The top model was BM2000....its was bata's equivalent to Nike's air jordans.

452SAR

Alfrescian
Loyal
The top model was BM2000....its was bata's equivalent to Nike's air jordans.

it was a craze.
yours truly's neighbourhood school ended up banning Bata school with green stripes which crashed my chances of bedding the chicks from girls' schools.

The right to wear such fashion statement was exclusively reserved for outstanding deserving elite school kids such as Mr Leong to match their school uniforms.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes, when I was in primary school my Bata badminton masters were considered a step up from the Made-in-China hi-top basketball canvas shoes bought from HDB shops. (Anyone know the brand of the hi-tops - white with red stripes running along the side of the soles and ridged rubber toecaps?)

It was only in upper secondary school that brands like Slazenger, Puma, Adidas, Nike started appearing on schoolboys' feet. That was when I got my first pair of Adidas Rom.

Panda brand??

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
good morning sister. a simple pair of shoes does tell a lot about where the heart is. consider that he's setting priorities and spending money in the right places with you in mind: solasfera (claire), condo (claire), car (he already has it but claire is now his most valuable cargo), fancy dinners (claire), luxury vacations (claire), etc. when it cums to his shoes, they don't really affect claire's happiness and well being. :wink:

for me, besides my pair of teva for ordinary wear, i experimented with 2 pairs of slip-on clarks instead of a single pair for semi-formal and formal occasions. used to wearing only a single pair of ecco shoes for all ocassions but it wore out quickly, especially the soles. 2 identical pairs interchangeably spread out the wear and tear and prolong the overall life. it's like tire rotation. instead of wearing out 1 pair in 2 years, 2 identical pairs wear out over 5 years with regular rotation (aa, ab, bb, ba), saving an extra year of life. i'm so poor i have to resort to footwear experimentation and optimization.

claire and sue can start a shoe enterprise selling 2 pairs of shoes as a minimum with a volume discount to promote better lifespan and use of shoes: claire's pairs and sue's shoes. :p

Good evening elder brother :smile:

Sorry I have not replied till now. I have been busy. :(

Also having problems searching for your post, amongst the others here.

I didn't know the bunch of guys in this forum are so "elderly", that my simple "chit-chat" (on an insignificant Bata shoe brand) seems to have triggered so many memories for them.

I agree with you that one cannot wear the same pair of shoes everyday. But buying 2 pairs of the same sounds weird. haha :smile:

Have a great weekend ahead. It's TGIF for me and him. :smile:

Ranjiao

Alfrescian
Loyal
I didn't know the bunch of guys in this forum are so "elderly", that my simple "chit-chat" (on an insignificant Bata shoe brand) seems to have triggered so many memories for them.

You mean you don't know that there are lots of lauteekos, geriatric patients and mental cases here? :rolleyes: