• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bata

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still buy my office shoes at Bata, they are comfortable, durable and relatively cheap. I like their office shoes.

bata-black-men-formal-shoes-8546034.jpg

Yahoo :smile: I think he bought the same design as you. Gosh, there is actually a picture on the net!

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yahoo :smile: I think he bought the same design as you. Gosh, there is actually a picture on the net!

I only paid $50 for that shoes, well worth the money. Good choice by your BF, I find it comfortable and durable, very comfortable walking and even running. :smile:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomáš_Baťa

http://www.batashoemuseum.ca/

Tomáš Baťa established the organization in Zlín on 24 August 1894 with 800 Austrian gulden, some $320, inherited from his mother. His brother Antonín Baťa and sister Anna were partners in the startup firm T. & A. Bata Shoe Company. Though the organization was newly established, the family had a long history of shoemaking, spanning eight generations and over three hundred years. This heritage helped boost the popularity of his new firm very quickly. In 1904 Baťa worked on an assembly line in the United States and brought his acquaintance with the method back to Zlín.[1] With modern production and long distance retailing, Baťa modernized the shoemaking industry and the company surged ahead in production and profits right from its nascent years.

Tomáš Baťa died in a plane crash (Junkers J13 D1608) in 1932 near the Zlín airport, trying to fly to Möhlin in Switzerland on a business trip under bad weather conditions (dense local fog). After his demise, his half-brother Jan Antonín Baťa took over ownership of the Bata companies and eventually fled to the United States due to the Nazi occupation in 1939, and later settled in Brazil.
Tomas' son Thomas J. Bata anticipating the Second World War along with over 100 families from Czechoslovakia moved to Canada in 1939 to develop the Bata Shoe Company of Canada centered in a town that still bears his name, Batawa, Ontario.

When I was in primary school, there were days when my brother and I would try to save the ten cents bus fare (5 cents each for 2 different buses each way = 20 cents), we would walk home from Radin Mas School (then at the foot of Mount Faber) to Telok Blangah Road, west of the then Jardine Steps (and ferry to Pulau Brani, Pulau Blankang Mati, Pulau Bukom) [and now the link to Sentosa].

So we will walk along Kampung Bahru Road to Telok Blangah Road, and there is a Bata Shoe Factory.

Raider

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomáš_Baťa

http://www.batashoemuseum.ca/

Tomáš Baťa established the organization in Zlín on 24 August 1894 with 800 Austrian gulden, some $320, inherited from his mother. His brother Antonín Baťa and sister Anna were partners in the startup firm T. & A. Bata Shoe Company. Though the organization was newly established, the family had a long history of shoemaking, spanning eight generations and over three hundred years. This heritage helped boost the popularity of his new firm very quickly. In 1904 Baťa worked on an assembly line in the United States and brought his acquaintance with the method back to Zlín.[1] With modern production and long distance retailing, Baťa modernized the shoemaking industry and the company surged ahead in production and profits right from its nascent years.

Tomáš Baťa died in a plane crash (Junkers J13 D1608) in 1932 near the Zlín airport, trying to fly to Möhlin in Switzerland on a business trip under bad weather conditions (dense local fog). After his demise, his half-brother Jan Antonín Baťa took over ownership of the Bata companies and eventually fled to the United States due to the Nazi occupation in 1939, and later settled in Brazil.
Tomas' son Thomas J. Bata anticipating the Second World War along with over 100 families from Czechoslovakia moved to Canada in 1939 to develop the Bata Shoe Company of Canada centered in a town that still bears his name, Batawa, Ontario.

When I was in primary school, there were days when my brother and I would try to save the ten cents bus fare (5 cents each for 2 different buses each way = 20 cents), we would walk home from Radin Mas School (then at the foot of Mount Faber) to Telok Blangah Road, west of the then Jardine Steps (and ferry to Pulau Brani, Pulau Blankang Mati, Pulau Bukom) [and now the link to Sentosa].

So we will walk along Kampung Bahru Road to Telok Blangah Road, and there is a Bata Shoe Factory.

u stay in toronto dont know got bata musuem there ah. lol:biggrin:
or have not surf the web enough yet. lol:biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
good morning sister. a simple pair of shoes does tell a lot about where the heart is. consider that he's setting priorities and spending money in the right places with you in mind: solasfera (claire), condo (claire), car (he already has it but claire is now his most valuable cargo), fancy dinners (claire), luxury vacations (claire), etc. when it cums to his shoes, they don't really affect claire's happiness and well being. :wink:

for me, besides my pair of teva for ordinary wear, i experimented with 2 pairs of slip-on clarks instead of a single pair for semi-formal and formal occasions. used to wearing only a single pair of ecco shoes for all ocassions but it wore out quickly, especially the soles. 2 identical pairs interchangeably spread out the wear and tear and prolong the overall life. it's like tire rotation. instead of wearing out 1 pair in 2 years, 2 identical pairs wear out over 5 years with regular rotation (aa, ab, bb, ba), saving an extra year of life. i'm so poor i have to resort to footwear experimentation and optimization.

claire and sue can start a shoe enterprise selling 2 pairs of shoes as a minimum with a volume discount to promote better lifespan and use of shoes: claire's pairs and sue's shoes. :p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FYI, Bata sometimes carries branded shoes e.g. running shoes Depends on the branch you go to. If you want more selection go to the downtown store at Peninsula Plaza aka little Burma.

Bata had been at that corner for years, it used to be BATA Shoes Building, demolished & Peninsular Plaza was built over part of BATA Shoes building. Other than school shoes & their Badminton Master Shoes, I seldom buy any shoes from Bata over the years...sandals yes!. In school, I used an alternative to Bata School shoes , it was ARROW brand white school shoes, where you can buy them from some of the off the wall shoes shops. Arrow brand school shoes comes in brown paper bag. Like coffee mate with coffee, white school shoes comes with KIWI brand shoe polish, in my time, KIWI shoe polish come in glass bottle. Monday morning was an important day, sometime stressful too, when one forgets to 'kiwi' the school shoes & that morning is assembly & attire inspection day. In case of emergency, I carry with me, some white chalks in my school bag...to 'kiwi' the school shoes....

The tag line...." first to bata then to school" still ring in my years....BATA shoes was also famous for the Badminton Master...in which I buy, they were affordable & good to play badminton with.

There were no NIKE, ADIDAS back then.....

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When was travelling around europe, Bata boutiques can be seen everywhere... paris, vienna, prague, you name it. Never pretentious, focus on affordable and good enough shoes.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My time bata was considered branded....poor kids wear the china panda or double happiness brands
...BATA Shoes Building, demolished & Peninsular Plaza was built over part of BATA Shoes building. Other than school shoes & their Badminton Master Shoes...
KIWI brand shoe polish
Likewise, my el cheapo mom could only afford ah tiong canvas white shoes. Before progressing to badminton master in sec.
And where got kiwi polish, had to do hard labour by using white chalk (cheapest option) to white wash shoe before sunning same.:o

Btw, saw this old 2008-2011 thread on BATA. Czech origins

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread....hat-saw-you-through-the-schooling-years/page3