• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Barclays Premier League Season 2011/2012

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Police arrest 142 fans in Amsterdam ahead of Manchester United's Europa League game against Ajax

Football fans of the Dutch giants were detained alongside supporters of Belgian side Anderlecht after they were trying to organise confrontation with travelling English fans

Feb 16, 2012 4:33:00 PM

By Jake Watson

148687hp2.jpg
Dutch police arrested 142 fans on Wednesday night in Amsterdam ahead of Manchester United’s Europa League tie with Ajax.

Fans of the travelling English side were the target of potential trouble in Amsterdam as supporters of Ajax and Belgian side Anderlecht, who were in the Netherlands ahead of their Europa League tie against AZ Alkmaar, tried to organise hostility.

The Dutch and Belgium supporters planned the confrontation together and it is believed that no United fans were arrested following a tense night in the capital.

In total, 76 Ajax and 54 Anderlecht fans were detained in the city centre, with another 12 people arrested elsewhere in Amsterdam, all related to potential trouble ahead of the fixture.

Of those held, all were released ahead of Thursday's fixture.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City to report Porto for alleged racist abuse aimed at Mario Balotelli and Yaya Toure

The Ivorian confirmed he heard offensive chanting during the Europa League clash at the Estadio Dragao with the young Italian also facing a poor reception as he was substituted

Feb 16, 2012

By Matt Scott

Porto-v-Manchester-City-Mario-Balotelli-group_2719827.jpg

Manchester City are expected to file a formal complaint with Uefa after sections of Porto fans are believed to have racially abused Mario Balotelli and Yaya Toure during the side's Europa League clash in Portugal on Thursday night.

The Italian striker was substituted late in the game to a chorus of boos and whistles from the home support and the Ivory Coast star confirmed that he heard unpleasant chanting during the game.

English football has been rocked by racism scandals involving Luis Suarez and John Terry this season, and now looks set for another unfortunate saga.

When asked about the crowd's behaviour, Toure told SkySports: "That's why we all like the Premier League, because it never happens there.

"Maybe in foreign countries they don't expect black players. I think in future it will be OK, they will change their minds and the game will become more open.

"Football is football and the fans come to enjoy the game, and we don't want things like this to happen."

The powerful midfielder also reserved praise for Balotelli, who has a history of hot-headed behaviour, for maintaining his composure in the face of abuse.

Toure continued: "Mario is now able to control things like this and that is very important for the club."

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i find this article interesting..:biggrin:..part of the whole article

Petit: Some top Arsenal players must go

Petit, who formed a formidable partnership with Patrick Vieira in his three year's in north London from 1997 to 2000, claimed the likes ofAndrei Arshavin, Tomas Rosicky and Theo Walcott were simply not good enough.

"Certain young players haven't done enough to justify the confidence that Arsene has in them. Walcott - somehow he's going to have to reach the next stage. It's been years that he's been at the same level. (Aaron) Ramsey, against Milan, I got the impression it was his (twin) brother on the pitch. In the way they behave, in their body language, we see they're not there anymore.

tat white hair bring the no football brain player for holiday.:*:

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

145146_thumb.jpg

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres: 'I cannot score'
The Spaniard has struck just three league goals since his arrival at Stamford Bridge in a £50m deal from Liverpool last January, but is determined to prove he was worth the money

134234_thumb.jpg

Official: Leeds United appoint former QPR boss Neil Warnock as new manager to replace sacked Simon Grayson
The much-travelled 63-year-old was sacked by QPR last month but has made a rapid return to management with the Yorkshire-based Championship side

157445_thumb.jpg

Nemanja Vidic could return for Manchester United's title run-in - report
The Serbian suffered knee ligament damage in his side's final Champions League group match against Basel and was expected to be out for the season

164674_thumb.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Rafael van der Vaart could miss North London derby - report
The inspirational Dutch midfielder may also not have recovered from his calf injury in time for the huge upcoming game with Manchester United

162604_thumb.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp insists he will remain at the club ... for now
The 64-year-old claims to have had no contact with the FA over the vacant national side's managerial vacancy and will focus exclusively on his club for the time being

162748_thumb.jpg

Mario Gotze representative: Links to Manchester United and Juventus are unfounded
The Germany international, seen as one of Europe's brightest prospects, had been reported to have had contact from other clubs but those close to him say that he will stay

167467_thumb.jpg

Back to business - Liverpool must move on from the Luis Suarez saga to keep their top-four chase on track
Despite all the recent furore over the racism row surrounding their Uruguayan striker and Patrice Evra, Kenny Dalglish's men find themselves four points off fourth-placed Arsenal

151310_thumb.jpg

Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke does not know much about football & prefers basketball - former Colorado Rapids boss Gary Smith
The Stevenage manager, who won the MLS Cup during his time with the Rapids in America, had limited experience of the businessman despite coaching a side owned by 'Silent Stan'

167735_thumb.jpg

Japan set to give Bolton's Ryo Miyaichi his debut national team call-up
The Japanese teenager made his Premier League debut last weekend and now he's set to be called up for his country for the first time

138795_thumb.jpg

Ravel Morrison admits FA charge over Twitter comment
The West Ham midfielder, who joined the club from Manchester United, faces a hearing after using abusive and insulting language on the social networking site

99567_thumb.jpg

AEG deny interest in buying Tottenham
The American entertainment company, which has strong links with Spurs, is not negotiating to purchase the club, according to president Timothy Leiweke

167476_thumb.jpg

Kenny Dalglish praises Liverpool for league and cup progress
The Anfield boss believes a marked improvement from last season has been made in all competitions, and anticipates a tough FA Cup tie against Championship side Brighton

166516_thumb.jpg

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas denies Gary Cahill rift
The Blues manager insists the former Bolton Wanderers defender, who arrived at Stamford Bridge in January, was ill leading up to the Everton loss which was why he did not feature

168136_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Nani wants to win 'important' Europa League
The Portuguese winger believes that although the competition does not generate as much excitement among supporters as the Champions League, winning the tournament would be huge

138731_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's Abdul Razak and Gai Assulin join Brighton on loan for Premier League promotion push
Boss Gus Poyet has insists the new arrivals are the perfect addition to squad as they push towards a play-off spot

167329_thumb.jpg

Branislav Ivanovic admits Chelsea have ‘problems’ ahead of must-win FA Cup match
The Blues defender admitted mistakes were made in last weekend’s loss to Everton but insists that the squad aim to make amends in fifth-round clash at home to Birmingham

41150_thumb.jpg

Sunderland's Martin O'Neill: Arsenal fans criticism of Wenger is unfair
The 59-year-old has backed under-fire the Gunners manager but still hopes to mount further misery in Satuday's FA Cup clash

167531_thumb.jpg

Emilio Butragueno: Jose Mourinho is happy at Real Madrid
It was claimed last month that the Portuguese had already decided to quit the club at the end of the season and he has been heavily linked with Tottenham Hotspur of late

156184_thumb.jpg

Chelsea's Fernando Torres wishes team-mate David Luiz was a Spain international
The Blues forward also hopes Yossi Benayoun comes back to Stamford Bridge from his loan at Arsenal at the end of the season to form an attacking partnership with the Spaniard

166882_thumb.jpg

Arsenal's Mertesacker sidelined for the long term, Wenger confirms
The Germany international required reconstructive surgery on his ankle, while the Gunners welcome back Gervinho for their trip to Sunderland

130739_thumb.jpg

'Antonio Valencia injury big blow for but Manchester United can cope,' says Rio Ferdinand
The defender praised midfielder Tom Cleverley after his return from injury in 2-0 win over Ajax on Thursday night but admitted the team’s performance in Amsterdam was not vintage

168175_thumb.jpg

Porto deny accusations of racist abuse towards Manchester City players
The English outfit have reported the Portuguese side to Uefa after Mario Balotelli and Yaya Toure were allegedly subjected to monkey chants over the course of the 90 minutes

168180_thumb.jpg

PFA chief Gordon Taylor demands 'larger penalties' after racism 'setback' during Manchester City's win against Porto
Following alleged racism during the Europa League clash at the Estadio Dragao, the 67-year-old has called for sanctions to be stepped up in event of recurrence

156130_thumb.jpg

Andre Villas-Boas excited by the return of 'strong' Drogba to Chelsea squad as Torres continues to misfire
The beleaguered Portuguese boss also spoke of the much talked about clear-the-air meeting he held earlier in the week with his players

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres: 'I cannot score'

The Spaniard has struck just three league goals since his arrival at Stamford Bridge in a £50m deal from Liverpool last January, but is determined to prove he was worth the money

Feb 18, 2012 11:53:00 AM

By Tom Marshall-Bailey

145146hp2.jpg
Chelsea's misfiring stiker Fernando Torres has confessed that he just "cannot score" over a year after his move from Liverpool, which smashed the British transfer record.

The 27-year-old has scored just three goals in 34 league appearances and insists that he is hell-bent on becoming a success at Stamford Bridge as fans grow tired of his misfiring performances in front of goal.

Didier Drogba has been away on Africa Cup of Nations duty for the last month, which has meant Blues' boss Andre Villas-Boas, feeling the pressure himself, has had little choice but to start Torres on a regular basis.

And Torres is the first to acknowledge that things have not gone exactly to plan.

"To be honest, after one year I was expecting things would be better than they are now," Torres told ESPN.

"It is a difficult situation because I am happy in my personal life. We really like the club and we're very happy here to be involved with the staff and the players.

"On the pitch it is a difficult time for Chelsea because we are not finding the results but we're changing things like playing a different style and still we have a young team to do it."

The Spain international knows that he must attempt to win over the fans by starting to score goals on a regular basis and improving his overall play.

"Personally I have to improve", he said. "In my time at Liverpool there were games where I would not be playing well or I would be doing nothing but every time I touched the ball I scored.

"It's such a strange feeling now because I am feeling better than ever physically. I am not finding the chances and, when I do find the chances, I cannot score."

It has been a tough opening 12 months to his Blues' career, but Torres is adamant he wants to stay at the club and inspire them to success.

"My present and my future are here. I have many things to do here and I want to do it because I always did what I wanted in every club I've been at, so this is not going to be different," he said.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

168412_thumb.jpg

Ryo Miyaichi on his first English goal: Practicing with superstars like Henry wasn't a waste
The Japanese starlet paid tribute to his former Arsenal team-mates after dazzling the crowd with an early goal in Bolton's 2-0 win against Millwall

168544_thumb.jpg

Redknapp lists injury concerns ahead of Tottenham clash with Arsenal
Emmanuel Adebayor and Benoit Assou-Ekotto are both hoping to be fit for the north London derby, while Luka Modric's illness ruled him out of the goalless draw with Stevenage

164646_thumb.jpg

Arsenal interested in Tunisia’s Youssef Msakni - report
The Tunisian winger is rumoured to be on the Gunners’ transfer radar following his impressive performances at the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations

167423_thumb.jpg

Wayne Rooney insists Manchester United can claim a Premier League and Europa League double
The England international is certain that a successful run in the second-tier European competition will do no harm to his team's's chances of domestic success

168384_thumb.jpg

Daniel Sturridge bemoans Chelsea's lack of cutting edge after FA Cup draw with Birmingham
The England international felt that his side could have offered a lot more in Saturday’s stalemate with the Championship side at Stamford Bridge

134298_thumb.jpg

FA Cup quarter-final draw: Liverpool drawn against Stoke City & Chelsea to face Leicester if big guns reach last eight
Tottenham face tie against Bolton if they win their replay against Stevenage, while Everton will meet Sunderland in an all-Premier League last eight clash

166518_thumb.jpg

Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez pleased to find form after 'difficult campaign'
The Mexican admits that he has struggled with injury in his second season at Old Trafford but is happy to be back scoring goals for Sir Alex Ferguson's side

166852_thumb.jpg

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp will consult son Jamie over England job
The White Hart Lane boss has admitted he will discuss a potential move to Wembley with his son and says he will not take the post should he not approve

99372_thumb.jpg

Jamie Carragher happy with life at Liverpool despite limited first-team opportunities
The Reds defender is remaining patient after falling down the pecking order at Anfield and is optimistic about both his and the club’s future

159641_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's Sergio Aguero receives visit from Diego Maradona
Roberto Mancini's striker has hit a bit of a rough patch recently but has welcomed the visit of his father-in-law, the Argentine legend

156245_thumb.jpg

Chelsea plan to snatch Liverpool target Lazar Markovic - report
The Blues have stepped up their interest in the Partizan Belgrade youngster with a reported fee of £14 million expected to scare off competition from the Merseyside club

153449_thumb.jpg

Didier Drogba admits 'hardest season' for Chelsea
The Ivorian striker believes the current campaign has been his toughest during his time at Stamford Bridge and has defended boss Andre Villas-Boas

93992_thumb.jpg

Manchester United defend decision to block Gary Neville's hotel plans
The Red Devils have opposed their former defender’s provisional development plans, deeming them too ambitious for the Old Trafford complex

166852_thumb.jpg

'I want to win it, that’s for sure' - Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp insists the FA Cup is still important
The Spurs boss insists the oldest cup competition in the world is still relevant and is focused on beating Stevenage and taking a step closer to lifting the trophy

105855_thumb.jpg

Manchester United winger Antonio Valencia 'angry' at latest injury
The Red Devils' Ecuadorian wideman has expressed his frustration at the timing of his hamstring problem but admits he feared more damage

162604_thumb.jpg

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp wants FA to leave him alone until the end of the season
Spurs manager has made it clear his immediate priority is to bring his season's work with the north London club to fruition, and not be distracted by Three Lions considerations

161631_thumb.jpg

Wayne Rooney says best goal of the season was against Manchester City
The Red Devils' England international striker has revealed that his favourite scoring moment in a red shirt this season was his header against Roberto Mancini's side in the FA Cup

167476_thumb.jpg

Kenny Dalglish wants Liverpool to put race row behind them
The Anfield boss has insisted that his side wipe the slate clean and forget about the racism debacle and concentrate on beating Brighton and also winning the League Cup

168178_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's Nigel de Jong says his team won't crack under pressure
The Dutch enforcer believes his side are in a good position to claim the Premier League title and denies they are feeling the heat being supplied by Manchester United

162082_thumb.jpg

Brighton boss Gus Poyet hopes compatriot Luis Suarez can stay in Premier League
The Seagulls' manager is keen to see the Liverpool striker continue to play his football in England, and has again offered his personal support to his fellow countryman

154494_thumb.jpg

Brighton manager Gus Poyet hints at Tottenham job interest
The Seagulls' boss has implied that he would consider a move back to the North London club in a managerial capacity

152214_thumb.jpg

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp confirms interest in Lille's Eden Hazard
White Hart Lane boss has revealed that he is keeping an eye on the progress of the highly rated 21-year-old and is looking to do business with his side in the summer

168075_thumb.jpg

Mazzarri: Chelsea will be a 'terrible test' for Napoli
The Italian coach is wary of the threat posed by Andre Villas-Boas' side and believes that their poor Premier League form will have little bearing on the Champions League match-up

152693_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's Yaya Toure considering retiring from international football with Cote d'Ivoire
The 28-year-old is unsure about his future with his country and says defeat at the Africa Cup of Nations has made him even more determined to win the Premier League

162520_thumb.jpg

Promising Socceroo Rhys Williams in talks with Middlesbrough about new long-term contract
The Australian has attracted interest from Newcastle, Liverpool, Bolton and West Bromwich but is in discussions on a new deal at the Riverside Stadium

168413_thumb.jpg

Owen Coyle delighted with Arsenal loanee Ryo Miyaichi after Bolton’s FA Cup win over Millwall
The Japanese winger opened the scoring for the Trotters at The Den and caused the Lions' defence a host of problems throughout his performance

163675_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's Yaya Toure hits back at Wayne Rooney: Hopefully he won't be laughing at the end of the season
The Ivory Coast international has struck back after the Manchester United striker poked fun at the 28-year-old following his country's Africa Cup of Nations final defeat to Zambia

157263_thumb.jpg

Martin O'Neill hails Arsene Wenger as 'one of the greatest' after Sunderland win over Arsenal
The Northern Irishman has defended the Gunners boss following his side's comfortable 2-0 FA Cup victory against them at the Stadium of Light on Saturday evening

167995_thumb.jpg

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger calls for focus on Tottenham after FA Cup defeat to Sunderland
The Gunners boss admitted his disappointment as Kieran Richardson's strike and an Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain own goal put his side on course for another trophyless year

54732_thumb.jpg

Roy Keane: Current Arsenal team is the worst I've seen
The former Manchester United and Republic of Ireland captain has slammed the current Gunners side and believes players should not wear gloves during a professional match

160108_thumb.jpg

'I am back in my position and I will show everyone my qualities' - Djourou ready to show Arsenal his true worth
The 25-year-old has admitted he has found playing at right-back difficult and is delighted to return to the centre of the defence for the Gunners

167920_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas slams 'ridiculous' reports that Didier Drogba gave Chelsea's half-time team talk during FA Cup draw with Birmingham
The Blues boss reacted angrily after another disappointing performance at Stamford Bridge and conceded his side's display was simply 'not good enough'

158613_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's Micah Richards: English football is 'outstanding' at dealing with racism
The right-back insists that he has not encountered many problems since he began his playing career at 17, but revealed abuse on Twitter did affect his confidence

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Transfers, tactics & treatment table trouble - Five reasons why Arsenal have gone from Invincibles to invisibles

The Gunners saw their slim hopes of a trophy collapse with a 2-0 defeat to Sunderland in the FA Cup to further highlight the club's decline under Arsene Wenger

Feb 19, 2012 9:00:00 AM

117196hp2.jpg
By Jonathan Birchall & Stephen Darwin

This week eight years ago, Arsenal beat Chelsea twice in six days and sat seven points clear at the top of the Premier League. Three months later, the title was won and the Invincibles etched their names into English football history. Arsene Wenger took top billing.Less than a decade on, with the club's pursuit of silverware all but over for another season, the Frenchman has gone from making history to clinging on to it.

Arsenal's 2-0 loss to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light has rubbed salt into a wound that was re-opened at San Siro on Tuesday, as AC Milan demolished the north Londoners 4-0 to leave the FA Cup as the Gunners' only realistic chance of securing silverware.

Wenger's men simply couldn't take it against a Black Cats outfit who, inspired by Martin O'Neill, are on an upward trajectory so steep that the result didn't come as that great a surprise - an indictment of the Emirates side regardless of the Northern Irishman's impact.

But where has it all gone wrong? From board to boot room, the factors that have led to Arsenal's disconnection from their rivals have converged, culminating in crisis point.

LACK OF INVESTMENT

<tbody>
</tbody>
144944hp2.jpg

Over the past half decade, Arsenal have spent almost £50 million less than their counterparts at the Stadium of Light on Saturday. That they have remained at the Premier League's top table over that time deserves due praise, but with Roman Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour having changed the face of football finance, Wenger, one of the English game's great innovators, has found himself stuck behind the times.

The question that remains is why Arsenal have let it happen. With a billionaire backer and pre-tax profits peaking at £56m in 2010, the Gunners have the financial might to be challenging the continent's elite in the transfer window.

Wenger insists that funds are available if required, with the caveat that the club is able to make "between £15m and £20m profit" per financial year. Such restrictions appear to have been put on the Frenchman by himself alone, with the club's wage limit of £100,000-a-week one of the hallmarks of Wenger's reign.

That said, the club's majority shareholder Stan Kroenke has endorsed the cautious stance taken by the Gunners' boss, telling stltoday.com in September: "There's a risk of going backwards if you overreact and start throwing money around in an attempt to solve your problems."

Perilously for Arsenal, those reversing wheels are already in motion on the pitch. Spending big may be the only option in putting on the brakes.
INJURY PROBLEMS

<tbody>
</tbody>
138488hp2.jpg

Managers often like to use injuries as an excuse, and are duly pilloried for doing just that, but in Wenger's case the loss of numerous key members of his squad through time out on the sidelines has proved particularly harmful.

It could be argued that a somewhat laid back approach in the transfer market to bolster his squad has resulted in injuries being far more detrimental than they should have been but, just this season, being stripped of Jack Wilshere in particular, arguably one of only two Arsenal players who would get a game at Camp Nou, has left a gaping hole - and then some.

Wenger has been forced to tinker to the extreme with a back four that has looked fragile to say the absolute least; and while they now, finally, possess a goalkeeper in Wojciech Szczesny who looks the real deal, the likes of Johan Djourou, Carl Jenkinson, Francis Coquelin, Sebastian Squillaci and Per Mertesacker are either not ready to step up, not in the right mould for Premier League football or just simply not good enough.

And it is that aforementioned list, which could have been extended with a few more names in truth, that has made the absences of injury casualties such as Bacary Sagna and Thomas Vermaelen, as well as Kieran Gibbs and Andre Santos, who are nowhere near the top of their profession, so sorely felt by Wenger and the Gunners’ faithful.

KEY PLAYERS LEAVING

<tbody>
</tbody>
140398hp2.jpg

It's turned into something of a cliché in more recent times but key player departures have certainly hurt Wenger and his ability to take Arsenal forward.

Of course the most damaging departures have been those of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri just last summer. So much, if not all, of the Gunners’ free-flowing attacking momentum was channelled through that talented duo and ripping out the main midfield fulcrum has, thus far, proved irreplaceable.

Even before that, though, Arsenal's former talisman Thierry Henry, a sometimes superhuman individual capable of winning points on his own, had been difficult to replace – not to mention a back four that has been as settled as a feverish new-born baby since the departures of the likes of Lauren, Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell.

In Henry, Freddy Ljungberg, Robert Pires and Dennis Bergkamp, Arsenal had an attacking line-up that was the envy of their Premier League peers during their 'Invincibles' season and while the likes of Theo Walcott and Gervinho have shown flashes of potential, they have more often flattered to deceive than torn up trees.

LOSS OF DAVID DEIN

<tbody>
</tbody>
168444hp2.jpg
If Arsenal's own problems weren't painful enough for die-hard Gooners, that they are being coupled with Tottenham's emergence as the strongest side in the capital will only serve to twist the knife in the red half of north London.

Led by Harry Redknapp from the dugout and Daniel Levy in the board room, Spurs are following the model under which their bitter rivals prospered for over half a decade under Wenger and David Dein, the club's former vice-chairman.

Ousted by the other members of the club's board in April 2007 due to "irreconcilable differences" - namely his support of Stan Kroenke's proposed takeover at the Emirates - Dein left after a 24-year spell which saw him pull off some of the greatest transfers in English football history.

Overseeing and securing the signatures of players such as Ian Wright, Dennis Bergkamp, Patrick Vieira and Henry, Wenger's negotiator-in-chief was arguably the shrewdest operator in English football transfers for over two decades.

"David Dein is no longer there and there is no denying the fact that this has destabilised the team and the manager," said Henry after leaving for Catalunya months after the businessman's departure. That the loss of a board member was to prove so pivotal to the club losing its greatest ever player speaks volumes over Dein's influence.

The Gunners' not-so-secret weapon at the negotiating table has never been replaced. That their transfer policy continues to suffer is surely no coincidence.
TACTICAL ISSUES

<tbody>
</tbody>
142262hp2.jpg

'Boring, boring Arsenal' is how the saying used to go during George Graham's reign but Wenger had the good fortune to inherit Graham's mean defence and the wisdom to blend it with creative flair further forward - and by gosh did it yield results for the Frenchman during his early, highly successful years at the club. As much as they despised and disagreed with that old 'boring' tag, what Gunners fans would give now for an uninspiring 1-0 win.

The likes of Tony Adams, Martin Keown and the rest of the old guard - a defensive unit so well-drilled in the art of defending a slim advantage - are long gone now, though, and the more Wenger has continued with his somewhat unsustainable philosophy of 'perfect' football, the longer Arsenal have suffered.

With the somewhat uninspiring arrivals of Mertesacker, Squillaci, Mikael Silvestre and Pascal Cygan, to name but a few in years gone by, unable to complement solid, but too-often injured, mainstays such as Sagna and Vermaelen, Arsenal have lacked a settled defensive unit capable of winning trophies.

It’s all well and good if a side has the attacking capabilities to paper over the cracks at the back, look no further than Barcelona, but the Gunners don’t, Robin van Persie aside, possess the attacking prowess to mask their defensive frailties and Wenger has been too stubborn to accept and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

149148_thumb.jpg

'This is the worst moment of Arsene Wenger's career with Arsenal' - former Gunners midfielder Emmanuel Petit
The French World Cup winner, who secured a double with the London club in 1998, criticised the current transfer policy and insists experience is needed at the Emirates

164715_thumb.jpg

Tottenham's Danny Rose happy for 'great experience' in FA Cup draw against Stevenage
Spurs were held to a goalless draw at the Lamex Stadium and the young Englishman excelled in a wing-back role despite being disappointed with the result

144037_thumb.jpg

'Tom Cleverley is phenomenal' - Former Manchester United midfielders Nicky Butt and Bryan Robson praise youngster
Butt claims that the Red Devils youngster is a better technical player than he ever was, while Robson hopes he will become "the real top player people think he is going to be"

168046_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson wants to stay with Manchester United after retiring as manager
The Scot has set his sights on another "two or three" years at the helm but would like another role at Old Trafford similar to that held by Sir Bobby Charlton

159557_thumb.jpg

'Chelsea are not a divided unit' - Daniel Sturridge defiant after disappointing draw against Birmingham
The 22-year-old has been one of the Blues' better performers this season and believes they are improving ahead of Tuesday's Napoli clash, despite not winning a match since January

167920_thumb.jpg

Chelsea could risk John Terry and drop Fernando Torres for Napoli game - report
Andre Villas-Boas could ask his captain to play through the pain in the Champions League but the team philosophy will not be altered for the misfiring striker

168544_thumb.jpg

Harry Redknapp jokes that Tottenham draw against Stevenage has not helped his chances of becoming England manager
FA Chairman David Bernstein watched Spurs fail to break down the League One side in the FA Cup but the favourite for the Three Lions job saw the funny side of the situation

159558_thumb.jpg

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas sweats on late John Terry fitness test ahead of Napoli clash
The Portuguese boss has revealed that his captain will travel to Italy despite being short of minutes on the pitch after his recovery from a knee injury

168422_thumb.jpg

Arsenal finishing fourth is like winning a trophy, says Arsene Wenger
The manager has moved to defend his team following staunch criticism in a week which saw them lose 4-0 to AC Milan and exit the FA Cup at the hands of Sunderland

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wolves Hunt for new Manager After Making a Muppet out of Mick

156330867761998c5c3ae2e59d20fb151e5bab49.jpg

Wolves Chief Executive Jez Moxey is hopeful that the club can find a new manager in time for their game against Newcastle next weekend, but has stressed the importance of spending the time needed to find the best possible candidate.

Moxey and Wolves owner Steve Morgan have interviewed a number of bookmaker’s favourites for the job over the last couple of days and are continuing interviewing potential candidates over the weekend as they try to ensure their club avoids relegation this season.

Speaking about the hunt for a new manager Moxey stated: 'Our intention has always been to have a new manager installed in time to take charge of the team for the Newcastle match and that remains the case. But, I stress, we want the right candidate, not the quick candidate.'

'Things are progressing. We are continuing to work to the timetable we indicated at the outset of this process and remain optimistic we will be able to fulfil those requirements.'

The Molineux club are without a manager following Mick McCarthy's sacking on Monday which ended his five and a half years of service for the club.

Speaking in response to McCarthy's dismissal, Moxey stated: 'We felt the team was only going one way and we needed to act. We've got time to get in a new manager and arrest the decline. We felt if we didn't do something we would almost certainly be relegated.'

Luckily Mick has his sideline work as a Muppet look-a-like to fall back on!

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: hi hi

168733_thumb.jpg

Van der Vaart aiming to make injury comeback in north London derby against Arsenal
The two sides meet in the highly anticipated fixture this weekend at the Emirates and the Dutchman is hoping to feature after missing side's last three games

168164_thumb.jpg

Man City boss Roberto Mancini refuses to be drawn on Carlos Tevez saga ahead of Europa League clash with Porto
The Italian refused to answer questions on the Argentine striker and instead wants to concentrate on his side's second leg against the Portuguese champions

140552_thumb.jpg

Stephen Keshi confirms Victor Moses’ resolve to play for Nigeria
Speculations that the Wigan forward would play for the Three Lions instead of the Super Eagles have been laid to rest by the national team trainer

149006_thumb.jpg

Arsenal defender Mertesacker not in danger of missing Euro 2012
The towering Germany international has given his assurance that he will not miss out on this summer's European Championship in Poland and Ukraine

128288_thumb.jpg

Watford sign Tomasz Kuszczak on loan from Manchester United
The Polish shot-stopper has spent over five years at Old Trafford and arrives at Vicarage Road to help the Championship outfit pull away from the relegation zone

152089_thumb.jpg

Rio Ferdinand out to silence Manchester United's 'unforgiving' critics with Europa League win
The defender insists the Red Devils are serious in their hunt of Europe's second-tier trophy and wants to prove those who have mocked the club wrong

163889_thumb.jpg

Arsenal chief tells Robin van Persie: You are going nowhere
Gunners chief executive Ivan Gazidis intervenes in Dutchman’s contract stalemate to leave the club's prize asset feeling ‘powerless’ and ‘anxious’

131207_thumb.jpg

Patrick Vieira: Manchester City remind me of Arsenal's invincibles
The former Premier League midfielder backs Roberto Mancini's men to win the league, saying they are a better team than Manchester United and are completely focussed

133743_thumb.jpg

Ajax starlet Boilesen to miss Manchester United clash
The Denmark international has sustained yet another hamstring injury and will be out of action for about three weeks, ruling him out of the trip to Old Trafford

139455_thumb.jpg

Finishing outside the top four would be a 'disaster' for Chelsea, admits John Obi Mikel
The Nigeria international believes it is imperative for the Blues to get a Champions League spot for next season so they can ease the mounting pressure on the club

167280_thumb.jpg

Black community leaders demand Liverpool apology over racism row
Luis Suarez has yet to apologise to Manchester United defender Evra after his eight-match ban for racial abuse and now his club's actions during the case are being condemned

165442_thumb.jpg

'This is the best I’ve felt since I’ve been here' - Andy Carroll delighted with Liverpool form ahead of League Cup final
The Reds' giant striker says things are finally starting to come together for him at Anfield and is feeling more confident in the lead up to his first ever cup final

157115_thumb.jpg

Arsenal fans demand answers on lack of signings at Supporters' Trust meeting
Unhappy Gunners supporters discussed a number of issues including lack of transfer activity, season ticket prices and the club's inefficient wage bill

156559_thumb.jpg

Diego Maradona claims Manchester City have become 'too defensive' & warns timid tactics could lose them the title
The Citizens have netted just 16 times in their last 11 games compared to the 39 they scored in their first 11 and the Argentine legend believes it could cost them the league

158185_thumb.jpg

Chelsea's Ramires agrees new three-year deal at Stamford Bridge - report
The Brazilian is currently in his second full season with the Blues and has scored eight goals in his 26 starts for Andre Villas-Boas' side during this campaign

24395_thumb.jpg

Former Chelsea boss Avram Grant warns Andre Villas-Boas that he could be axed at any time
The Israeli boss lasted just one season with the Blues despite the club finishing runners-up in both the league and in Europe

156551_thumb.jpg

Manchester United are the standard Ajax need to follow if they want to reach the top, says Johan Cruyff
The Dutch legend is not expecting Europa League progression and believes if the club he once starred for want to make it to the top they must use the Red Devils as an example

164539_thumb.jpg

Chelsea join race for Napoli striker Edinson Cavani as they prepare to offload Didier Drogba & Fernando Torres
Roman Abramovich is expected to sanction the purchase of a new centre-forward in the summer to fill the void left by his struggling front pair

159963_thumb.jpg

West Ham owners confirm they tried to sign Chelsea's Fernando Torres & failed with three attempts to land Carlos Tevez
David Gold and David Sullivan have revealed the Championship club attempted to bring in the Spaniard on loan as well as being knocked back after enquiries for the Argentine

159519_thumb.jpg

'Paul Gascoigne is the only world star England have produced since 1966' - Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson
The Red Devils boss also revealed that the club are yet to have drawn up a shortlist of potential candidates to replace the Scot but had words or praise for David Moyes

160656_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson: Manchester United could have signed Carlos Tevez on a permanent deal if we had acted quicker
The 70-year-old has hailed the Argentine striker as a "big game player", whilst also discussing Rio Ferdinand's need to adjust his game in recent years due to age and injury

153449_thumb.jpg

Didier Drogba rubbishes reports he gave Chelsea half-time team talk against Birmingham City
The striker was alleged to have addressed the team during the interval of Saturday's FA Cup tie although insists that "people are making a big thing out of nothing"

168164_thumb.jpg

Manchester City boss Mancini denies interest in Napoli duo Cavani and Lavezzi
It has been reported that the former Inter boss is keen to bring the South American pair to Eastlands in the summer but the Italian insists he is currently focused on the league

167920_thumb.jpg

Andre Villas-Boas: I have a three-year plan to change Chelsea & I can handle the challenge
The Blues manager, speaking ahead of the Champions League clash with Napoli, says he has set about making the necessary changes that will lead the club into a bright future

147065_thumb.jpg

Petr Cech believes victory over Napoli in the Champions League will boost Premier League performances
Blues goalkeeper is hoping that being one of the few English representatives in the Champions League will help boost confidence amongst his team mates and produce positive results

140709_thumb.jpg

Jose Enrique looking for Liverpool to continue building momentum ahead of League Cup final
The Spanish defender was one of a number of summer signings at Anfield and with the side looking more upwardly mobile, he is eyeing cup success and a place in the Champions League

138680_thumb.jpg

Arsenal's Bacary Sagna looking for reaction to recent poor form in derby against Tottenham
The right-back still holds hope that the Gunners can qualify for next season's Champions League and told his team-mates to keep their heads up ahead of the crucial Spurs clash

128730_thumb.jpg

Leeds United among 'top six sides in England' according to new boss Neil Warnock
The 63-year-old has signed an 18-month contract at Elland Road, with the objective simply to get the club back amongst the elite in the Premier League

164364_thumb.jpg

'Daniel Agger and Craig Bellamy should be fit for League Cup final' - Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish
Duo should be fit to take on Cardiff, and if the Dane returns to the starting line-up, then Jamie Carragher will have no qualms about stepping aside

144564_thumb.jpg

Ryan Giggs hoping Manchester United's past experiences will prove vital in Premier League title race
The Red Devils' title defence faces serious competition from rivals City, but the Welshman feels that their extensive knowledge of run-ins will give his team-mates the edge

168046_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson targets 'two or three more years' at Manchester United
The legendary Old Trafford boss also reveals that he turned down the opportunity to sign a 17-year-old Joe Hart from Shrewsbury Town in 2005

166418_thumb.jpg

Agent: Giovinco could become the new Zola at Chelsea
The Italian forward's representative believes that the player would be a big hit at Stamford Bridge and drew comparisons with the former West Ham coach

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal fans demand answers on lack of signings at Supporters' Trust meeting

Unhappy Gunners supporters discussed a number of issues including lack of transfer activity, season ticket prices and the club's inefficient wage bill

Feb 21, 2012 10:25:00 AM

By Daniel Cross

157115hp2.jpg
The Arsenal Supporters’ Trust (AST) have demanded answers over the club's failure to fully re-invest the £50 million they made from player sales last summer.

The 3,000 strong group held a meeting on Monday evening and will put forward their findings to the club.

Amongst other issues brought up at the meeting were the direction of the club and Arsene Wenger’s future, although the AST deny holding a vote on whether the Frenchman should remain in charge.

They also discussed the club’s wage bill and the 6.5 per cent increase on season ticket prices, despite the fact Arsenal are facing a seventh season without a trophy.

“It [the meeting] was lively, passionate and concerned,” Tim Payton, spokesman for the AST, told the Daily Mirror. “Arsenal fans are not happy and they showed a lot of spirit.

“We will ask at the end of the season if Arsene Wenger is the right man for the job but during the season we will always back the manager and support the team.

“But questions need to be asked. We had a summer profit of £50 million on player trading. [We need to] figure out whether there was money to invest and where we might be going.”

Payton revealed that the Gunners' wage bill is another concern for fans, as is the possibility of missing out on Champions League qualification this season.

He continued: “We spend so much on wages. This year we are going to spend 40% more than Spurs, it’s a £130 million wage bill. Are we overpaying a lot of players that we then can’t move on?

“A worry for the fans is that next year they will be paying for Thursday night football [in the Europe League] rather than Champions League they’ve been used to.”

The AST also want a freeze on season-ticket prices and discussed whether a change of manager would be a good move.

Payton added: “Last year there was a collapse of the four trophies, then straight after, there was a 6.5% rise on top of the most expensive tickets in the world.

"I think they will probably keep prices flat depending on what competition we are playing in next year – hopefully the Champions League.

“It’s a very legitimate question that the Arsenal Supporters’ Trust is asking – Are Arsenal’s football set-up and Arsene Wenger still right for taking the club forward?”

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

163789_thumb.jpg

Steven Gerrard looking to end Liverpool’s six-year trophy drought with League Cup win
The Anfield skipper is eager to lift the Merseyside team’s first piece of silverware since the FA Cup in 2006 when his side go to Wembley to face Cardiff City on Sunday

164932_thumb.jpg

Manchester City loanee John Guidetti earns Sweden call-up
The Stockholm-born striker has earned a first senior call-up to the national team after scoring 18 goals in 16 appearances for Feyenoord during the current campaign

165809_thumb.jpg

Gary Cahill 'ridiculously disappointed' with Chelsea's defeat to Napoli
The former Bolton man was less than impressed with his Champions League debut, but says the Blues are capable of scoring twice in the return leg at Stamford Bridge

166572_thumb.jpg

Basel's Shaqiri: Manchester United underestimated us
The Swiss side's winger has claimed that the Premier League champions did not look remotely focused in the tunnel ahead of their crunch European clash back in December

166881_thumb.jpg

Low: Mertesacker will be fit to play for Germany at Euro 2012
The former Werder Bremen defender is expected to be included in the trainer's squad this summer, but Cacau still has plenty to prove if he is to earn a spot

156741_thumb.jpg

Groningen forward David Texeira downplays Luis Suarez comparison
The Uruguayan sensation has moved to quell speculation of an impending transfer to Liverpool, stating that he is happy playing in the Netherlands for the time being

167467_thumb.jpg

Ajax deny reports Liverpool's Luis Suarez has been invited to Old Trafford for Manchester United Europa League clash
The Amsterdam outfit understand that the Uruguay international will not be making an appearance to support his former club

159504_thumb.jpg

Dion Dublin backs Manchester United's Paul Scholes for England call-up
The former Red Devils forward believes the midfielder should make the Three Lions squad for Euro 2012 after a sensational return to the Premier League

160071_thumb.jpg

'It's time we delivered a trophy' - Steven Gerrard desperate for League Cup triumph
The Anfield skipper says six years without success is not good enough and is adamant a win over Cardiff on Sunday could be the catalyst for a successful period at the club

167995_thumb.jpg

Arsenal majority shareholder Stan Kroenke set to back Arsene Wenger with £55m transfer budget
The American is set to reaffirm his faith in the Frenchman at a board meeting on Thursday, while discussions will also take place over contract negotiations with Robin van Persie

163312_thumb.jpg

Manchester United winger Nani set for talks over new four-year deal - report
The Red Devils are to open negotiations with the Portuguese attacker as they look to tie him to a contract worth a reported £130,000 a week

128288_thumb.jpg

Tomasz Kuszczak reveals he joined Watford on loan to boost Euro 2012 chances
The Manchester United goalkeeper is hoping loan spell with the Hornets could help his prospect of featuring for Poland when they co-host the European Championships

160406_thumb.jpg

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas hoping to have captain John Terry back in 'four weeks'
Stamford Bridge captain has missed the last five games with a knee injury and was originally expected to be out for up to two months but may return sooner than thought

163787_thumb.jpg

Charlie Adam warns team-mates against complacency ahead of Liverpool's League Cup clash with Cardiff City
The Merseysiders feature in a cup final for the first time since 2006 on Sunday and the Scot midfielder knows it would be dangerous to take their lower-league opponents lightly

167855_thumb.jpg

If Roberto Mancini has any sense he will tell Carlos Tevez where to shove his apology
The Manchester City striker finally apologised "sincerely and unreservedly" on Tuesday night, five months after refusing to warm-up at the Allianz Arena

139455_thumb.jpg

Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi: John Obi Mikel is like a son to me
The Super Eagles trainer debunks insinuations that the Chelsea midfielder will not be playing for Nigeria under him

164364_thumb.jpg

Liverpool's Craig Bellamy 'won't celebrate' if he scores against Cardiff City in the League Cup final at Wembley
The Welsh International is looking to win his first piece of silverware in England when the Reds take on his hometown club at the weekend

168949_thumb.jpg

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas admits Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole questioned his Napoli team selection
The Portuguese has conceded the England internationals were disappointed at his decision to leave them out, while bemoaning his side's lack of quality in the 3-1 defeat in Naples

167180_thumb.jpg

Campaigners warn David Cameron that battle against racism has 'slipped backwards' ahead of anti-discrimination summit
Show Racism the Red Card insist that football has "not gone back to the bad old days" but fear it has suffered a set-back with recent high-profile incidents in the Premier League

169040_thumb.jpg

Journeyman Zesh Rehman discusses Thailand, Pakistan and his time in England's top four divisions
Thai Football Editor Steve Thompson catches up with the Premier League defender following his recent move from Muang Thong United to Hong Kong’s Kitchee SC

156183_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's Samir Nasri: Arsenal must start winning ugly
The former Gunners midfielder believes the only way Arsene Wenger's team will be able to end their seven-year trophy drought is by combining flair with steel

160668_thumb.jpg

Sunderland's Bendtner receives 56-day driving ban for speeding
The Denmark international, on loan from Arsenal, had been travelling to Newcastle airport in December and was already late for a flight, clocking 104mph

168182_thumb.jpg

Uefa investigate Manchester City claims of racist abuse in Porto
Mario Balotelli and Yaya Toure complained about being subject to politically incorrect chants from sections of the home support at the Dragao on Thursday

168963_thumb.jpg

‘Difficult but not impossible’ – Chelsea boss Villas-Boas reserved after loss to Napoli
The young manager admitted his side could have been better at both ends at San Paolo but believes they will have plenty of chances to claw back the advantage at Stamford Bridge

168962_thumb.jpg

Cech refuses to blame Villas-Boas for Chelsea defeat to Napoli
The Blues goalkeeper admitted they allowed the hosts too many chances on the counterattack, but is determined to ‘fight to the end’ to stay in the Champions League

168075_thumb.jpg

Napoli's Mazzarri laments missed opportunity to kill off Chelsea
Christian Maggio was presented with a golden opportunity to given the Partenopei a three-goal advantage at the San Paolo but his shot was cleared off the line by Ashley Cole

164729_thumb.jpg

Chelsea confirm John Terry set to undergo knee surgery
Club captain could miss up to two months of action for the Stamford Bridge side, while he will also be unable to feature for England in a friendly against the Netherlands

165378_thumb.jpg

Tevez apologises for three-month Manchester City absence
The Argentina international has been out of the first team picture since refusing to warm up during the club's Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich back in October

159554_thumb.jpg

Emmanuel Adebayor hopeful of being fit for Tottenham's crucial derby match against Arsenal
The 27-year-old revealed on Twitter that he has returned to training following a knee injury and is targeting a return to Harry Redknapp’s starting line-up to face his old side

143551_thumb.jpg

Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez welcomes comparisons to club legend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
The Mexican has netted 10 goals in 30 substitute appearances since joining the club, and feels he is ‘living the dream’ playing at Old Trafford

159963_thumb.jpg

Ray Wilkins: Chelsea need to keep faith with misfiring Fernando Torres
The 55-year-old has urged his old side to continue handing the under-pressure Spaniard chances to impress despite the former Liverpool man failing to score in his last 20 matches

163485_thumb.jpg

Craig Bellamy: Champions League qualification is the priority over League Cup success for Liverpool
The Wales international feels both the Reds and former club Cardiff would sacrifice Wembley glory for the sake of a acheiving their respective league aims

139926_thumb.jpg

Chelsea captain John Terry ruled out for two months with knee injury - report
The defender is also set to miss England's friendly against the Netherlands next week, despite being reportedly named in Villas-Boas' team-sheet for his side's match against Napoli

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

160995_thumb.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti: The time for waiting for Fernando Torres has gone on too long
The Italian coach believes that the Spaniard may never be able to make his mark at Stamford Bridge and claims that Frank Lampard's worth is beyond doubt

112803_thumb.jpg

'Wenger is not to blame for Arsenal failures' - former player David O'Leary
Leading players at the north London club have let the manager down and they should be offloaded in the summer not the boss according to the club's record appearance holder

147438_thumb.jpg

Tottenham and Arsenal request 'positive support' during north London derby
The Premier League giants have worked together to call for calm ahead of the two sides’ highly anticipated clash at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday

168948_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo on Manchester United return: You never know
The Portugal international star is determined to break his own league goalscoring record and stated that a move back to the Premier League giants is a possibility

156396_thumb.jpg

Arsenal announce price freeze on season ticket renewals for next season
Gunners fans will not face further financial outlay to watch their team in next year's campaign after it is decided that costs will not rise

167546_thumb.jpg

Liverpool's infamous 'Anfield Cat' escapes from animal foster home
The feline ran away from a rescue centre and still suffers from sores on his neck, prompting a call for any news regarding his whereabouts

144307_thumb.jpg

Van Bommel: Van Persie would be a massive signing for Milan
The holding midfielder was full of praise for his Dutch compatriot and feels he would be an excellent addition for the Rossoneri if he were to leave London for San Siro

168949_thumb.jpg

PSG set to offer Frank Lampard a route out of Stamford Bridge - report
The Chelsea midfielder and England international has emerged as a transfer target for the French giants after enduring a frustrating spell on the bench under Andre Villas-Boas

164729_thumb.jpg

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas confirms John Terry out for 'five or six weeks'
Former England captain set for extended time on the sidelines following knee surgery, ruling him out of Stuart Pearce's squad to face Holland next week at Wembley

166239_thumb.jpg

Robin van Persie: I did not get the most out of myself during my time at Feyenoord
The Netherlands international has fond memories of his time at the Rotterdam giants, but feels he could have achieved more at De Kuip before his move to the Gunners

167995_thumb.jpg

Arsene Wenger set to be handed £100m by Arsenal board for transfers - report
The Arsenal manager has seen his ailing side struggle to compete consistently so far this term, and the club could be set to hand the Frenchman £100m in the summer to rectify that

163844_thumb.jpg

'No-one here sees Carlos as a disruption' - Joleon Lescott pleased with Tevez return to Manchester City
The England international believes the Argentine striker's return could help Roberto Mancini's men in their bid for a first Premier League title

167995_thumb.jpg

Press treatment of Wenger and AVB is shameful, Yann Sommer could become Europe's best goalkeeper & five things we learned from Champions League last 16 first legs
The initial stanza has been completed as the Champions League moves towards the return legs in the knockout phase; here are the conclusions drawn from the European stage

149006_thumb.jpg

Monchengladbach interested in signing Chelsea's Romelu Lukaku on loan - report
The Bundesliga side are looking to bring in reinforcements as they prepare for Champions League football next season, and have allegedly set their sights on the Belgian striker

126906_thumb.jpg

Rafael Benitez's agent denies Chelsea approach
The Spaniard has been out of work since leaving Inter Milan but has ruled out any contact over replacing the under-fire Andre Villas-Boas at Stamford Bridge

165910_thumb.jpg

Fraizer Campbell, Tom Cleverley and Micah Richards named in England squad for Netherlands friendly
Caretaker manager Stuart Pearce calls up two new faces but omits veterans Rio Ferdinand and Frank Lampard, as well as defender Joleon Lescott from his first senior squad

158581_thumb.jpg

Tottenham's Harry Redknapp set to watch Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen against Manchester United
The Belgian defender is Spurs' top defensive target for the summer and will line up for the Dutch club at Old Trafford on Thursday night

127882_thumb.jpg

Chelsea approach Rafael Benitez to replace Villas-Boas - report
Roman Abramovich has reportedly moved to sound out a successor for the Portuguese boss, whose dressing room authority continues to wane following Tuesday's defeat against Napoli

169111_thumb.jpg

Forget Carlos Tevez, Yaya Toure is the returning star Manchester City need to secure silverware
Two powerhouse performances from the Ivorian midfielder upon his return from international duty have sent his side to the Europa League last 16 and now focus turns to the title

157202_thumb.jpg

'It will be important to have four strikers' - Roberto Mancini hopes for boost from Carlos Tevez return
The Italian manager emphasised the importance of depth in attack during the last two months of the season and insists he does not have any problem with the Argentine forward

117213_thumb.jpg

Rule Britannia: How Tony Pulis transformed Stoke City into a side capable of exchanging blows with Europe's elite
The 54-year-old Welshman has quietly turned the Potters from Championship relegation-battlers to FA Cup finalists and Europa League competitors against the likes of Valencia

38247_thumb.jpg

Newcastle & Everton among four Premier League sides in race for £6m Olympiakos striker Kevin Mirallas
Sunderland and Fulham are also interested in securing the 24-year-old Belgium international, who is keen on a move to England during the summer transfer window

109856_thumb.jpg

Robbie Fowler backs out of India's Premier League Soccer
The Liverpool legend seemingly took a dig at the organisers in India after the fledgling league was postponed indefinitely

169112_thumb.jpg

Porto to report Manchester City to Uefa over 'improper behaviour' from fans
The Portuguese champions claim the English team's supporters behaved in an unacceptable way during Wednesday's match and have lodged a complaint to the European governing body

145941_thumb.jpg

'Result is a lie; Manchester City did not deserve to win,' says Porto's Vitor Pereira
The Portuguese coach says that his team were in the driving seat for most of the game and that the Citizens did not even deserve to come out on top

154814_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson: No one will ever match Giggs’ achievements with Manchester United
As the 38-year-old prepares to make his 900th career appearance for the Red Devils, his manager says he believes the Welshman’s quality and longevity will prove unique

169111_thumb.jpg

'It’s very important for us to win something this year' - Manchester City's Yaya Toure stresses importance of Europa League success
The Ivorian will miss the next match through suspension but hopes his team-mates can produce the goods so City can maintain their challenge for domestic and European trophies

168164_thumb.jpg

Roberto Mancini: I have accepted Carlos Tevez's apology & he could be back playing within two weeks
The City boss is set to meet with the Argentine forward on Thursday before allowing him to return to training with a view towards reinstating him to the first-team set-up

130226_thumb.jpg

Joao Moutinho: Result against Manchester City is deceiving
The Portuguese midfielder says that his team deserved a much better result against the Premier League side and insists that they were in control during some stages of the match

168202_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Ferguson would relish Europa League final against rivals City
The 70-year-old admits that neither club expected to miss out on Champions League progression but would enjoy facing each other - if the Red Devils can see off Ajax and Athletic

151043_thumb.jpg

Zenit want loan deal for Arsenal’s Andrey Arshavin
The 30-year-old Russia captain has struggled for form and been booed by his home fans this year, leading to suggestions that he could return to his former side ahead of Euro 2012

168693_thumb.jpg

Branislav Ivanovic: Chelsea players must put personal issues aside for the good of the team
The Serbia international feels that Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole should not make a fuss about being left on the bench as the Blues seek to arrest a poor run of form

160908_thumb.jpg

Jermain Defoe: Tottenham have 'a great chance' of doing derby double over Arsenal
The England striker believes that his side can build on their 2-1 home win over the Gunners in October by claiming all three points at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

127358_thumb.jpg

'I have no problem with Andy Carroll' - Stuart Pearce explains striker's England squad omission
The stand-in boss named uncapped Sunderland forward Fraizer Campbell ahead of the Reds No. 9 but says it has nothing to do with him missing last summer's European U21 Championship

108830_thumb.jpg

Manchester City defender Micah Richards claims Fabio Capello had 'favourites'
The Citizens' full-back is delighted to return to the international fold but is mystified as to why he couldn't work his way back into the squad under the Italian tactician

169477_thumb.jpg

Terry Connor appointed Wolves manager until end of the season
Mick McCarthy's former assistant is set to take charge for the remaining 13 leage games after Alan Curbishley and Walter Smith both turned down offers

169384_thumb.jpg

Faltering fledglings - Manchester United progress but defensive deficiencies prove Old Trafford youngsters have growing up to do
The defeat to Ajax, although hardly disastrous, highlighted frailties at the back, with an inexperienced defence looking shaky and complacent at the best of times

157202_thumb.jpg

Micah Richards hails return of Carlos Tevez as a 'massive boost' ahead of Manchester City's title run-in
Argentine striker apologised to Roberto Mancini earlier this week and has rejoined training but his team-mate insists he must work hard to earn forgiveness from the fans

167920_thumb.jpg

'New Tinkerman' Andre Villas-Boas must settle on a philosophy to match his Chelsea masterplan
Blues boss needs to find a happy balance between his own future plans for the club and previous successes if he wants to save his skin and ensure Champions League qualification

169374_thumb.jpg

Europa League becomes the latest front in the battle for supremacy in Manchester
United and City both booked their places in the last 16 of the competition this week as their rivalry extends beyond the fight for the Premier League title

107325_thumb.jpg

Newcastle aiming to follow Barcelona's youth academy blueprint to achieve long-term success
As they set their sights on gaining Category One status for their academy, the Magpies' youth development chief Joe Joyce talks of his admiration for Catalans' La Masia

156309_thumb.jpg

Manchester United target Luka Modric delays signing new Tottenham contract amid doubts over future of Harry Redknapp
The playmaker has agreed personal terms in principle worth around £100,000-a-week but is yet to put pen to paper on a new deal as he worries about the club's future

158889_thumb.jpg

West Brom manager Roy Hodgson says striker Peter Odemwingie will continue to keep Shane Long on the bench
The Nigeria striker will continue to start in attack with Marc-Antoine Fortune because of his three-goal salvo against Wolves that led to Mick McCarthy's sack

167420_thumb.jpg

Thierry Henry hopeful Tottenham derby clash can help Arsenal out of slump
The Frenchman's final game for the Gunners came in the 4-0 Champions League defeat in Milan, and he is optimistic his former side will get the better of their north London rivals

164877_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson admits selection errors after Manchester United defeat to Ajax
The Red Devils progressed to the Europa League last 16 to set up a clash with Athletic Bilbao, but the Scotsman admitted his defence was too inexperienced for the clash

169381_thumb.jpg

Manchester United 'nowhere near good enough' in Ajax loss, says Phil Jones
England international slammed the Red Devils' performance as they suffered a home defeat to the Dutch giants, but nevertheless managed to scrape through to the next round

168191_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Antonio Valencia could make swift return against Tottenham
Ecuador international looked set to be out for a month after suffering a hamstring injury against Ajax last week, but may be in line to feature at White Hart Lane

167920_thumb.jpg

Andre Villas-Boas reveals Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich ‘disappointed’ by Napoli defeat
The Portuguese once again insisted the 3-1 loss on Tuesday was his fault and not that of the players, while questioning the methods of the British press

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

150616_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's David Silva: Premier League glory would be 'equally important' as winning the World Cup
The Spain star says domestic achievement with the Citizens would mean as much to him as his country's success on the global stage in South Africa two years ago

114127_thumb.jpg

Middlesbrough agree loan deal for Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey - report
The talented 19-year-old has already been shipped out on loan to Blackpool this year, where he impressed, as Boro try and strengthen their chances of promotion

156685_thumb.jpg

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admits he could have signed Gareth Bale but prioritised Theo Walcott deal
The Gunners' manager has risked the wrath of the Emirates crowd by revealing that he passed up the opportunity to sign the star Welsh winger before he joined arch-rivals Tottenham

160072_thumb.jpg

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard admits own goal in 2005 League Cup final left him feeling 'suicidal'
Midfielder was unfortunate enough to score at the wrong end in the Reds' last Carling Cup final appearance, and wants to put things right in Sunday's showpiece against Cardiff

166618_thumb.jpg

Luis Suarez: Playing at Wembley for Liverpool is a dream come true
The forward says that he was a Reds supporter when growing up in Uruguay and that the League Cup final against Cardiff City on Sunday will be 'a special occasion'

158745_thumb.jpg

'Manchester United have to beat everyone in title chase' - Darren Huckerby warns Sir Alex Ferguson ahead of Norwich clash
The ex-Canaries star does not believe the Red Devils can afford to rest key personnel in the race for the Premier League title because City look unbeatable

152215_thumb.jpg

Arsenal's Bacary Sagna: It would be an error if Eden Hazard joined Tottenham
The French defender has shown his desire for the talented playmaker to join him at the Emirates and claims a move to their north London rivals would be a mistake

164364_thumb.jpg

A swansong against the Bluebirds - why Liverpool's Craig Bellamy deserves domestic cup success in the twilight of his career
The well-travelled Welshman faces his hometown club on Sunday in the League Cup final and has a chance to lift only the second major trophy of his career

159554_thumb.jpg

Emmanuel Adebayor can make Arsenal fans eat their words & confirm Tottenham as the best team in London
The rejuvenated Togolese striker will return to the Emirates Stadium on Sunday, when he celebrates his 28th birthday, wearing the white of Spurs against his former club

92130_thumb.jpg

Robbie Fowler does a U-turn, will ply his trade in India's Premier League Soccer
The former England international striker has changed his stance and now claims to be very much part of the fledgling league despite having claimed on Wednesday to be unavailable

147545_thumb.jpg

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp defends 'irreplaceable' Arsene Wenger amid Arsenal pressure
The Spurs manager insists the Frenchman has done an 'amazing' job at the Emirates through consistent Champions League qualification

158581_thumb.jpg

'Tottenham are an amazing club & I want to play in the Premier League' - Spurs target Jan Vertonghen
The Ajax defender has talked up a switch to White Hart Lane and revealed that Belgium team-mates including Vincent Kompany & Thomas Vermaelen are telling him to move to England

134536_thumb.jpg

Anzhi Makhachkala sign Blackburn Rovers defender Christopher Samba
The big-spending Russian club, who recently named Guus Hiddink as manager, have secured the services of the centre-back who request a transfer from Ewood Park last month

143216_thumb.jpg

Arsenal midfielder Andrey Arshavin joins Zenit on loan
The 30-year-old returns to his former club on the final day of the Russian transfer window after struggling for form under Arsene Wenger at the Emirates

167995_thumb.jpg

Arsene Wenger reiterates faith in Arsenal players ahead of crucial Tottenham clash
The Frenchman believes his side can triumph in the north London derby on Sunday, and has challenged his players to turn negative press surrounding club around

105264_thumb.jpg

Tom Cleverley set to withdraw from England squad following scan on fresh ankle injury
The 22-year-old was replaced after the hour mark during Manchester United's 2-1 defeat to Ajax and faces scan to see how bad injury knock will be

163485_thumb.jpg

Craig Bellamy claims his volatile days are behind him and reaffirms his Liverpool commitment
The Welshman, at times a controversial character, believes he has a more relaxed and mature approach on the pitch ahead of the Reds League Cup final against his former side

141241_thumb.jpg

Andre Villas-Boas and Gary Cahill back Chelsea to improve after recent lacklustre results
The Blues manager and his January signing defended the performances of the club during February matches and they believe their form will turn around soon

166239_thumb.jpg

‘Arsenal win is absolutely vital’ - Robin van Persie believes only a victory will suffice against Tottenham
The Dutch striker, who is top scorer in the Premier League with 22 goals, believes the Gunners need to defend their Champions League position with all three points on Sunday

162859_thumb.jpg

‘Every game is like a Champions League final’ - Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini demands focus in Premier League title race
The Citizens may be top of the division but the Italian coach insists his players must not let complacency creep in as the climax to a potentially successful season approaches

161040_thumb.jpg

PSG duo Carlo Ancelotti and Claude Makelele criticise Andre Villas-Boas’ Chelsea reign
The former Stamford Bridge pair have suggested the 34-year-old has tried to revamp too much at the club, with the French midfielder 'sad' at the west Londoners' current plight

160214_thumb.jpg

Park Ji-Sung honoured by Manchester United captaincy in Europa League despite Ajax defeat
The South Korean led the side out at Old Trafford on his 201st appearance and, after the 3-2 aggregate win, insisted the club must focus on beating rivals City in the title race

125338_thumb.jpg

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp reiterates no England approach ahead of Netherlands friendly on Wednesday
The Spurs boss is the clear favourite for the role, and hinted that midfielder Scott Parker would be a fine captain for his country, citing his professionalism on and off the pitch

139455_thumb.jpg

Anzhi Makhachkala deny interest in Chelsea's John Obi Mikel
The Russian Premier League outfit have declared that they are uninterested in the Nigerian player, who has been out of favour at Stamford Bridge this season

167983_thumb.jpg

Arsenal defender Kieran Gibbs: Tottenham clashes are special
The left-back credits Spurs for the improvements they have made this season but insists the Gunners can put a poor week behind them with a good result on Sunday

165809_thumb.jpg

Chelsea’s Gary Cahill admits facing former club Bolton will be ‘strange’
The England international has been at Stamford Bridge for a little over a month and admits it will be strange to be on the home side this weekend against Owen Coyle’s men

119599_thumb.jpg

Pepe Reina: Failure is not an option for Liverpool in League Cup final
The Anfield club face Cardiff City at Wembley on Sunday and the Spaniard, who is the only squad member to have featured in every round, has issued a rallying cry to his team

163694_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish hints at move for LA Galaxy striker Robbie Keane in the summer
The Ireland international has impressed during his loan spell, scoring three times in six games, and the 53-year-old appears keen to make the stay permanent in the future

148638_thumb.jpg

Fernando Torres left out of Spain squad for Venezuela friendly
The former Atletico Madrid and Liverpool frontman has been in disappointing form at Stamford Bridge and it has now cost him a place in the national team set-up

168018_thumb.jpg

'Pull your fingers out of your asses' - Emmanuel Petit blasts underachieving Arsenal
The French midfielder, who made 116 appearances for the Gunners in a highly successful three-year spell, believes the club's problems are psychological and fears for their future

157202_thumb.jpg

Carlos Tevez may return to action for Manchester City next week - report
Argentine striker has attended first-team training and may now make his comeback sooner than originally expected after impressing the Citizens' backroom staff with his fitness

117568_thumb.jpg

William Gallas urges Tottenham to go for the Premier League
Striker Jermain Defoe says his French team-mate wants the whole squad to believe they can win the title and 'forget about fourth place'

110351_thumb.jpg

Chelsea's John Obi Mikel confirms Anzhi Makhachkala approach
The Nigerian midfielder has not yet decided whether he will join the Russian club and says he has grown frustrated at his lack of playing time at Stamford Bridge

167476_thumb.jpg

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish: We have got a huge opportunity in front of us
Anfield legend believes a win on Sunday would go a long way to making the Reds' season a success and insists he is focused on this team's achievements rather than former glories

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

167059_thumb.jpg

Arsenal's Robin van Persie puts contract talks on hold
The Gunners' Dutch skipper has paused any potential negotiations about a new deal until the end of the season as he believes playing football for the club is more important

167469_thumb.jpg

Patrice Evra set to return to Manchester United team at Norwich after short break
The Red Devils' French skipper looks set to be recalled to the starting XI at Carrow Road, after being given a rest to mentally recuperate following the Luis Suarez affair

115276_thumb.jpg

Tottenham's Michael Dawson backs Emmanuel Adebayor to shine against Arsenal
The Spurs defender is confident the ex-Arsenal striker can cope with any hostility at the Emirates and has praised his team’s form

153269_thumb.jpg

Former Arsenal striker Eduardo calls for Arsene Wenger to be given time
The ex-Gunner has leapt to the defence of his one-time boss and says he is the best man for the job, insisting that fifth place isn't as bad as it might sound for the club

169297_thumb.jpg

Harry Redknapp has same qualities as Clough, Shankly & Ferguson, says Stuart Pearce
The Tottenham boss is favourite to land the England role, while Pearce has ruled himself out of the running to take the post on permanently

169656_thumb.jpg

Chelsea's Frank Lampard admits there has been a problem between him and Andre Villas-Boas
Blues' England international reveals that his relationship with his manager has been strained all season, but he prefers to focus on trying to improve the team's position

167995_thumb.jpg

Arsene Wenger defends Arsenal's business model, but admits difficulty in keeping players
The Frenchman believes self-sufficiency remains the best way forward for the north London club, despite a growing number of critics of his prudent transfer market strategy

169695_thumb.jpg

Carlos who? Aguero, Balotelli & Dzeko step up to prove Manchester City no longer need to worry about troublesome Tevez
The former Manchester United striker has returned to the club after his own self-imposed exile, but Roberto Mancini's men confirm they have moved on confidently without him

169653_thumb.jpg

Frank Lampard & Chelsea's old guard make winning return - now Villas-Boas must keep faith with them to save his job
Resounding victory against Bolton suggests that for Blues boss to realise his long-term plans, baby-steps that implement successful ways of old need to be taken

169693_thumb.jpg

Manchester City assistant Platt hails goalscorers Balotelli, Aguero & Dzeko after win over Blackburn
Each of the hosts' three strikers scored in the 3-0 victory over Rovers on Saturday to take Roberto Mancini's side five points clear at the top of the Premier League

168544_thumb.jpg

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp: We want to be the top club in London
The 64-year-old is looking to at least hold on to third place if they cannot push on further, while hoping the players can continue to perform at the current high level

141299_thumb.jpg

Bacary Sagna: Arsenal can handle the threat of Tottenham's Gareth Bale
The defender thinks that the Welshman is a top player but insists the Gunners' back-four are capable of dealing with attackers of his calibre week in, week out

147442_thumb.jpg

Kyle Walker believes momentum can carry Tottenham to victory at Arsenal
The hero of the last north London derby reveals his team-mates are hoping all their hard work can pay off on Sunday at the Emirates against their local rivals

167995_thumb.jpg

Wenger calls for mutual respect ahead of Arsenal's clash with Tottenham
The 62-year-old also insists that his side are concentrating on finishing in the top four, and not ahead of local rivals Spurs

169653_thumb.jpg

Andre Villas-Boas rubbishes Inter link & says he still expects to be Chelsea manager next season
Portuguese admits he is pleased the Blues put a smile on the faces of fans and praises 'unbelievable' Frank Lampard after recalled midfielder scores against Bolton

37531_thumb.jpg

Andrey Arshavin: I want to win Zenit the title
The 30-year-old sealed a loan move to his former club on Russian deadline day, and is now targeting title success

125477_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Jonny Evans prepared for a battle against Norwich City
The 24-year-old defender is wary of the threat the Canaries pose, but is full of praise for Paul Lambert's side who are enjoying life in the Premier League

163714_thumb.jpg

Dalglish feeling calm ahead of Liverpool's League Cup final against Cardiff
Reds' manager is looking forward to his visit to Wembley and urges his players to adopt a 'winning mentality' as the favourites seek to avoid an upset

156685_thumb.jpg

Bale: Tottenham deserve to be favourites to beat Arsenal
The Welsh midfielder believes Spurs are now the top side in north London, and aims to take advantage of the Gunners' defensive frailties in the derby on Sunday

167203_thumb.jpg

Hernandez: Manchester United cannot afford any more slip-ups
The 23-year-old is delighted with his current goalscoring form and is looking forward to his first trip to Carrow Road to face Norwich City

141500_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Jonny Evans believes De Gea's confidence is growing
Defender hails the young Spaniard's 'unbelievable' shot-stopping ability and feels he is starting to get used to life in the Premier League

142943_thumb.jpg

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger unconcerned over Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's England omission
Gunners' boss plays down calls for young winger to be in the latest Three Lions squad, insisting he should be focusing primarily on his own development as a club player

159558_thumb.jpg

Andre Villas-Boas pleads for time to do it his own way at Chelsea
The Portuguese manager has warned supporters that it may get worse before it gets better but he believes that the owner, players and fans alike need to be patient

169509_thumb.jpg

Freddie Ljungberg links Arsenal slump to David Dein's departure
Swedish winger admits he is anxious about Gunners' prospects ahead of north London derby with arch-rivals Tottenham but hopes victory can kick-start charge for top four places

151739_thumb.jpg

Andy Carroll eager to forge a prolific strike partnership with Luis Suarez at Liverpool
The 23-year-old Geordie has recieved much criticism since his move to Anfield, but after scoring against Brighton last week, he wants to link up more often with his fellow forward

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Freddie Ljungberg links Arsenal slump to David Dein's departure

Swedish winger admits he is anxious about Gunners' prospects ahead of north London derby with arch-rivals Tottenham but hopes victory can kick-start charge for top four places

Feb 25, 2012 11:41:00 AM

169509hp2.jpg

By Rob Stewart

Former Arsenal winger Freddie Ljungberg believes the Gunners’ fall from grace could be down to former vice-chairman's David Dein's absence from the corridors of power at the Emirates.
Dein is widely credited with being the architect of a period of success that saw Arsenal claim three Premier League titles, and for Ljungberg it is telling that his departure from the vice-chairman’s office has coincided with a downturn in fortunes that could be hastened when Tottenham pay their arch-rivals a visit on Sunday.

“If you are going to be frank you would have to say that this season is not good enough because they are 10 points behind Spurs and 17 behind the leaders [Manchester City] and that is not what Arsenal are familiar with,” Ljungberg said.

“It is difficult to say what exactly has gone wrong. It has been seven years without a trophy and so there will be lots of reasons for that. But I remember when we spoke in the dressing room and stuff like that and David Dein was almost like a link between the boardroom and Arsene.

“Mr Dein was always there and we felt there was a guy who always knew how important it was to get new players in. When he disappeared I think it shifted a little bit in how they approached things.” Dein not only hired Wenger but also sealed deals for the likes of Ian Wright, Dennis Bergkamp, Patrick Vieira, Emmanuel Petit, Marc Overmars, Thierry Henry, Robert Pires, Sol Campbell, Gilberto, Kolo Toure, Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie as well as Ljungberg himself.

“Now they develop players at a much younger age whereas before they bought players like Gilberto who had already won the World Cup and had plenty of experience and then there was Sylvain Wiltord and Robert Pires, who had made it with France,” added Ljungberg, who scored 72 goals in 328 appearances for Arsenal, and is ranked 11th in the list of all-time Gunners greats as voted for by the club's fans.

“It is good to develop young players, especially economy-wise, but maybe sometimes you need an older figure such a Patrick Vieira to lean on. That would be someone who has been there and has won the Premier League.” Dein quit Arsenal due to what were called "irreconcilable differences" with the club’s board in 2007, and now the 34-year-old Ljungberg, who spent 10 years at Arsenal, wants majority shareholder Stan Kroenke to open up to supporters.

“Arsenal fans want Stan Kroenke, the owner, to come out and speak of his vision for the club and what he wants and what he wants to spend and stuff like that and I personally think that is quite an interesting thing,” Ljungberg continued. “Maybe it would be great to have the development of young players but still have the spending power to get the player that you want regardless. But we have to wait and see but I am an Arsenal fan and I don’t think any of us is happy with not having a trophy for seven years.

“I still have faith in Arsene Wenger. Arsenal was a great club before he took over as manager but he changed the way they played and their thoughts and philosophies behind it and achieved great success with it. “It is easy to call for Arsene’s head but maybe there are other things behind it that we don’t know about. That is why it would be interesting to hear the owner speak.”

Ljungberg, who is now a free agent following his release by Japanese side Shimizu S-Pulse, helped Arsenal win two Premier League titles and three FA Cups when silverware was coming thick and fast, but the Gunners have not won a trophy in seven years. “I remember I had been at Arsenal for two days and Pat Rice told me that at Arsenal you had to win one trophy every year or otherwise it is not good enough,” Ljungberg said.

“Of course it has been great that they have been in the Champions League all the time because everyone enjoys watching it but it is always a lot more fun to win things. “The trouble is football goes up and down and hopefully soon it goes up for Arsenal again. They might not win a trophy this season but I definitely think they can still qualify for the Champions League and I hope so as well.”

Ljungberg is hoping that victory over Tottenham can prompt an upturn at Arsenal but is concerned about the threat posed by former Gunners striker Emmanuel Adebayor. “They can certainly beat Tottenham and they have home advantage so I am optimistic,” he added.

“If they do beat Spurs it will give everyone – the fans, the staff and the players - a great lift because the last couple of weeks have been so bad so and it would bring a positive spin around the club. “Harry Redknapp has developed the Spurs team really well. They play a lot more offensively than they used to and they have good players so there can be no question that they are playing fine football but I think the signing on loan of Emmanuel Adebayor has made a big difference to them.

“He has brought to Spurs a dimension that they have never had before where he is a big man up front who can get on the end of long balls, win possession and hold the ball up if they need. "But as well as being a threat in the air he is a very good footballer as well as he showed against Newcastle when he set up all their goals and scored one himself.

“He can turn and go behind the back line as well and go at players so getting him from Manchester City has made them a step better this season than they were last year. “He might not be too popular with Arsenal fans after everything that has happened but I am sure that Tottenham fans think the world of him and they will think even more of him if he manages to score the winner. But I don’t think that will happen. I think Arsenal will raise their game and win 3-1.”

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

156396_thumb.jpg

Arsenal post pre-tax profits of £49.5m thanks to sales of Fabregas and Nasri
Though they are struggling somewhat on the pitch, the Gunners' bank balance is looking healthy after the sale of two key players during the summer

108062_thumb.jpg

Silvio Berlusconi: Robin van Persie is a good player, but there are many good players out there
The Rossoneri chief was noncommittal when asked about a potential move for the Dutch ace and gave Pato a vote of confidence after he put in another lacklustre display on Saturday

169910_thumb.jpg

'It's the best feeling I ever had in football' - Liverpool defender Jose Enrique delighted with first trophy win
Spaniard describes triumph in the League Cup as his 'best feeling' in football and is targeting more success in the FA Cup for the Reds' fans

169928_thumb.jpg

Arsenal set to act on reports of fan abuse during Tottenham clash
The Gunners will review crowd footage after Spurs boss Harry Redknapp reacted angrily to a fan behind the dugout and referee Mike Dean allegedly to had a coin thrown at him

157833_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid are favourites to sign him but where next for Robin van Persie?
With talks over a contact extension stalling and the Dutch striker in red hot form for the Gunners this season, Adam Bate discusses what will be the 28-year-old's next destination

154479_thumb.jpg

Success attracting more players to 'project' at Liverpool - director of football Damien Comolli
Reds chief believes club's success under Kenny Dalglish is making them an attractive proposition in European football and is targeting more trophy wins in the future

159776_thumb.jpg

'The door is still open for David Beckham to come to Paris Saint-Germain' - sporting director Leonardo
The Brazilian believes the former England captain could still make a big contribution under manager Carlo Ancelotti and insists a move is still possible

169676_thumb.jpg

Chelsea defender David Luiz unfazed by criticism
The Brazilian international says the Blues' players were under immense pressure after going six games without a win but admits it comes with the territory of being at a big club

169964_thumb.jpg

Five things Liverpool must do if they want League Cup triumph to begin a glorious new era of success
Following their penalty shootout success, the Merseysiders must be more dynamic throughout the club and show more transfer market nous if they are to build on Wembley success

169948_thumb.jpg

Word on the Tweet: Delight for Liverpool at League Cup triumph while Arsenal players happy after derby day
With the Reds defeating Malky Mackay's men on penalties their players react to the cup win on Twitter, while Ferdinand, Wilshere and RVP have also had their say on the weekend

169889_thumb.jpg

Nine hundred and counting - record-breaking Ryan Giggs embodies & inspires Manchester United yet again
The legendary Welshman celebrated his 900th Red Devils appearance on Sunday by scoring an injury-time winner in his side's 2-1 victory over Norwich at Carrow Road

165378_thumb.jpg

Manchester City coach David Platt confirms Carlos Tevez is back in training and could feature soon
The Citizens coach believes the Argentine could return by the end of next week against Swansea but insisted there are no guarantees given the level of competition in attack

160903_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's Edin Dzeko says he does not feel under pressure from Carlos Tevez
The Bosnian international, who has netted 18 times this season, also says he respects Roberto Mancini's decisions despite feeling frustrated at not starting in the past two games

169903_thumb.jpg

Dead & buried Arsenal come back to life to trounce Tottenham & halt their own steady decline
Gunners have plumbed the depths in recent times with high profile losses of both matches and personnel but their north London derby turnaround has shown that all is not lost

147782_thumb.jpg

Liverpool owners John Henry and Tom Werner hoping to secure Champions League football after League Cup victory
The pair praised manager Kenny Dalglish after the Reds secured their first trophy in six years and outlined their ambition to get back into Europe's premier competition

168695_thumb.jpg

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas hopeful Frank Lampard will remain at the club
The Blues manager insists he won't be pressured into playing the 33-year-old England international despite him notching his 150th Premier League goal

168046_thumb.jpg

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says Ryan Giggs' appearance record will not be beaten
The Red Devils manager is confident the Welshman’s record haul of 900 games for a single club will never be overhauled

164364_thumb.jpg

Liverpool forward Craig Bellamy targets Champions League football after League Cup success
The Wales international believes his former club were a 'credit' in the final at Wembley but insists Kenny Dalglish's side must push on to secure fourth

169938_thumb.jpg

Martin Skrtel lauds Wembley atmosphere after Liverpool's League Cup win
Kenny Dalglish's man required a penalty shootout to secure victory over Cardiff City on Sunday, and the defender believes his side can secure more silverware

169944_thumb.jpg

Dirk Kuyt believes Liverpool's League Cup win could spark trophy sweep
The Dutchman was 'disappointed' with being benched for the final but maintains Kenny Dalglish's side were good value for their win

167421_thumb.jpg

Kenny Dalglish: Liverpool's League Cup triumph can be the catalyst for a glorious new era
The Anfield manager said the Wembley win over Cardiff has given the players a "flavour" of success and the club can "kick on" to bigger things

169947_thumb.jpg

League Cup-winning Liverpool winger Stewart Downing hails ‘brilliant’ Cardiff City
The winger accepted the Championship side were unlucky to come away from the game with nothing after losing out on penalties

169947_thumb.jpg

Steven Gerrard admits 'mixed emotions' after cousin's crucial penalty miss hands Liverpool League Cup victory
The midfielder admitted that the Reds 'always do it the hard way' as they beat Cardiff City in dramatic fashion after extra time to secure their first trophy since 2006

169915_thumb.jpg

'We buckled after they scored and deep down I knew Arsenal would win' - Tottenham's Harry Redknapp
Spurs boss admits that he thought his side would lose after the Gunners scored, and states that it wouldn't have mattered how they played when the hosts 'got their tails up'

169925_thumb.jpg

'Today shows Arsenal are more alive than anybody thought,' says Wenger after victory over Tottenham
The Gunners boss believes his side's stirring comeback win at home against their north London rivals proves that rumours of their demise have been greatly exaggerated

169889_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Ryan Giggs: I'm enjoying my football more than ever
The 38-year-old insists that he wants to carry on playing for the Red Devils and is already looking ahead to next season, highlighting Scholes' decision to come back as reasoning

154814_thumb.jpg

'You can only look up to him' - Ryan Giggs' Manchester United career in quotes
The Welshman makes his 900th appearance for the Old Trafford outfit against Norwich and Goal.com have compiled the greatest soundbites on English football's most decorated player

119599_thumb.jpg

Pepe Reina delighted with Liverpool's improvement
The Spanish goalkeeper explained how he almost left Anfield but is happy with the changes which have led to the club competing for honours at Wembley once again

166761_thumb.jpg

Steven Gerrard contemplates his international future, might quit England after Euro 2012 to extend Liverpool career
The Anfield skipper has revealed he is considering his future as part of the England squad, saying he might have to retire in order to prolong his useful service to his club