• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any classical music lover here /.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks bro, you gave context to a very complex situation. I did not see it in that light until I read your comments. Its makes a lot of sense.

The problem with Singaporean environment is that we have a very high percentage of kids doing classical music, but more or less "forced upon" them by parents to get that grade 8 cert by x years old. The kid might comply but quite a few would get so turned off or burnt out that it ruins it for them for a long long time.

In parts of the west, music is more pervasive because it is played in churches, choirs, family gatherings, jazz jams,.. although may not be played at a technically high level, but it is truely enjoyed by many more average people.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Thanks bro, you gave context to a very complex situation. I did not see it in that light until I read your comments. Its makes a lot of sense.

can also apply that to the education landscape... the joy of learning done in... :(:(:(

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not Musically Inclined ?

Any bro who's into classical music can recommend the best Beethoven symphonies complete cycle ?

I have never heard of this before. :biggrin: I heard he was inspired by Napoleon when he fought for democracy in Europe. He was seen as a hero by him. But, he tore up the piece upon learning that he proclaimed himself an emperor.

[video=youtube;SqDPZOtKtMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqDPZOtKtMc&noredirect=1[/video]

The funny thing is ... I was gifted with two things when I was very young. But, perhaps due to my lack of interest and I did not develop them. These two skills disappeared from me (forever). Yes, one of them is music. I can play without the score just by listening to the keys. Memory ? Maybe. :cool:

My dad failed to sway me to take up piano lessons together with my sis. I always thought music is for sissies. I preferred weapons, martial arts and the art of war.

takchenow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks bro. However I'm adverse to Bernstein for some strange reason. Always see him as the nemesis to Karajan.

For me the orchestra counts. Conductor can be anyone. Berlin Phil will always be Berlin whether it's conducted by Karajan or LHL. For the Beethoven's 9th I recommended there were a few major Euro orchestras involved, so it sounded 'grand', if you are into this sort of thing.

For the more accessible genre, try Saint Saen's Organ Symphony last movement

[video=youtube;XEocEUSVqac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEocEUSVqac[/video]

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks. I'm looking for flac versions :smile:

The site has all the famous composer with all their complete work.

http://www.classiccat.net/index.php

Welcome on Classic Cat, the index to some 6000 free classical music performances

Brass band
Cello
Chamber music
Choir
Clarinet
Flute
Guitar

Finding free classical music is easy
1. Choose a composer
2. Choose a work
3. Click a button
You are them transported to the web page where the mp3(s) can be found!

New to classical music? Try the Top-100 or choose one of the Visitor's Favorites in the right column.
Orchestra
Organ
Piano
Singer
Violin
Opera
Religious

Top 100 classical composers

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lin Yi Xin Of Taiwan

any thoughts when the younger generation tries to reproduce classicals with a funky fusion mix?

Shara Lin Yi Xin from Taiwan. She was seen in Jacky Wu's "Guess Guess Guess" variety show. She was described as a 才女 (a talented girl).

[video=youtube;TOWrkp17vvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOWrkp17vvQ[/video]

She was also seen in a show recommending Fuzhou's delicacies and the famous 'dream' temple.

Bebeque

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been an avid classical music lover for over 20 years and have a healthy classical collection in my iPod. I have the famous Harnocourt's cycle, Karajan's cycle from the 70s and Gardiner's cycle and am looking for an alternative version. Hopefully some like-minded kakis can recommend before I commence my torrent search.

So brother blackmondy, you are already in the know about classical music and so advanced. Appreciate your sharing.

Beside classical music, I guess you may have also listened to opera. Personally my favourites are Turandot, Don Giovanni and Madame Butterfly.

Cheers.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Secret 不能說的秘密

[video=youtube;7VXDwAdJgyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VXDwAdJgyY&feature=fvwrel[/video]

Secret 不能說的秘密

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can cough, can uh-hem but cannot clap until all movements over.

I think if it is exceptional playing eg after a virtuosic interpretation, it is OK to clap to show appreciation if it is not interrupting the music. Taken to the extreme, even the silence in between movements can be an important part of the music eg in some pieces, one movement follows almost without break onto another, so the duration of the break is critical to the music. Such cases there should not be interruption. For most cases, this concern for interruption is overdone. In any case, any clapping between movements, if compelling to do so, should be kept very short.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
can also apply that to the education landscape... the joy of learning done in... :(:(:(

Bro Zhihau, you also into classical music?, me just go along with my wife she like classical music, more over her sister husband use to play with the toronto symphony orchestra,he retire and giving private lessons, that is where i learned how to appreciated classical music....:biggrin::p

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In parts of the west, music is more pervasive because it is played in churches, choirs, family gatherings, jazz jams,.. although may not be played at a technically high level, but it is truely enjoyed by many more average people.

The only way to promote music, any type, is to popularize it, classical music included. To do so, more should be played in normal settings e.g. in shopping malls, exits to MRT stations, parks etc.

Because of the nature of the settings, the chosen pieces should be light, not too taxing on the intellect and not too long (not a Mahler, definitely, which is better appreciated in a concert hall). Dance hall, chamber and solo music could be more appropriate, leaving big pieces that require a fuller ensemble to large spaces like the parks.

The objective should be to train the ear to appreciate the rich sounds coming from the different instruments at close quarters. Over time, the appreciation of the tones and the colours themselves will hold the attention of the audience instead of only the melody and the beat.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks bro. However I'm adverse to Bernstein for some strange reason. Always see him as the nemesis to Karajan.

Karajan seemed more appropriate for period, Bernstein more for modern stuff. Maybe the impression came from West Side Story? Also Karajan reminds me of the Old World - Austria and Berlin. Whereas Berstein represents the New World - New York and the music of the movies.

Last edited: