• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any classical music lover here /.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chopin Nocturnes were composed for night listening. Mendelssohn's "Songs without words" and Paganini's works for violin and guitar too.

jw5

Loyal
For those who like opera, can try listening to Verdi's La Traviata.

Another great classical composition is Bach's Air On a G String. :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am classically trained to the nth level possible in the local Singapore context. I have come across people of similar faith including one Prof Bernard Tan of NUS. This man's elitist approach to classical music has to be heard and seen to be believed. He genuinely does not understand why the pop in music refers to popular. He does not understand why half of the people that attend SSO are there to be seen.

Despite his years in NUS, he chose not to bring classical music to the students and introduce them to a wonderful genre that has to be heard to be appreciated. I have got alot more respect for Vanessa Mae and Anliza Ching then some of these so called purists.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am classically trained to the nth level possible in the local Singapore context. I have come across people of similar faith including one Prof Bernard Tan of NUS. This man's elitist approach to classical music has to be heard and seen to be believed. He genuinely does not understand why the pop in music refers to popular. He does not understand why half of the people that attend SSO are there to be seen.

Despite his years in NUS, he chose not to bring classical music to the students and introduce them to a wonderful genre that has to be heard to be appreciated. I have got alot more respect for Vanessa Mae and Anliza Ching then some of these so called purists.

Elites chose to keep classical music to the higher echelon of society and think mere mortals don't deserve to appreciate them.

Classical music is akin to pop music in those days, technically speaking....

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Elites chose to keep classical music to the higher echelon of society and think mere mortals don't deserve to appreciate them.

Reminds me of the debate whether clapping in between movements should be frowned upon.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. I would like to see it introduced in kindergartens and primary schools for a start as part of total music.

Try listening to some of the movements in the quiet of the night with a glass of single malt - heaven.

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. I would like to see it introduced in kindergartens and primary schools for a start as part of total music.
The problem with Singaporean environment is that we have a very high percentage of kids doing classical music, but more or less "forced upon" them by parents to get that grade 8 cert by x years old. The kid might comply but quite a few would get so turned off or burnt out that it ruins it for them for a long long time.

In parts of the west, music is more pervasive because it is played in churches, choirs, family gatherings, jazz jams,.. although may not be played at a technically high level, but it is truely enjoyed by many more average people.

jw5

Loyal
caught the Singapore Lyric Opera's presentation a few years back. was not very impressed

I have a CD of the performance by the late dame Joan Sutherland and Pavarotti. That's the real thing. :smile:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm looking for a Vivaldi cello piece but just can't seem to remember the title. :(

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Can cough, can uh-hem but cannot clap until all movements over.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FHFf7NIwOHQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

these folks clap until sibey song...

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
i've never heard that combo myself. i'll keep a lookout for it. thanks bro :smile:

I have a CD of the performance by the late dame Joan Sutherland and Pavarotti. That's the real thing. :smile:

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xoBE69wdSkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

always thought this piece is SBF bros' favorite... only for the overture :p:p:p

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c7O91GDWGPU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pa9qEX5KwUc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

any thoughts when the younger generation tries to reproduce classicals with a funky fusion mix?