• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any Buddhists here?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does the state certify and oversee the operations of these places to ensure health and safety, child welfare etc? Sexual abuse is rampant in monasteries in SEA. She knows that hence the choice of Canada but she has this impression that everything is above board in Ang Moh countries.
it's up to the provincial gov to oversee and enforce. in this case, they wanted immigrants and this is one way to do so. moreover, tuition is free, thus (poorer) parents may oblige. it's part of private school regulations, and some wannabe "schools" are not approved. thus i believe the provincial gov has a department vetting applications for school startups and hopefully checks on approved schools regularly, but i doubt inspections are thorough or even exist at all. if no kid and whistleblower report abuse, i suppose they keep their hands off. sooner or later, pedophiles get wind of these schools and will join as teachers and guardians to raid the chicken coop. i will advise caution for parents. not sure if alberta or bc has revamped private school laws such as p.e.i.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
it's up to the provincial gov to oversee and enforce. in this case, they wanted immigrants and this is one way to do so. moreover, tuition is free, thus (poorer) parents may oblige. it's part of private school regulations, and some wannabe "schools" are not approved. thus i believe the provincial gov has a department vetting applications for school startups and hopefully checks on approved schools regularly, but i doubt inspections are thorough or even exist at all. if no kid and whistleblower report abuse, i suppose they keep their hands off. sooner or later, pedophiles get wind of these schools and will join as teachers and guardians to raid the chicken coop. i will advise caution for parents. not sure if alberta or bc has revamped private school laws such as p.e.i.

Thanks for your help and everyone else's.

I now have some idea regarding what steps to take next.

This sort of assistance once in a while is what motivates me to keep this little corner of the internet going despite the fact that it can no longer pay its way.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
boss, your friend angmo or asian?

i find it disturbing that in current time still have parents decide on the child future this way. do the kid know what is going on? let the kid decide when he/she is older.

as for your friend, if she believe in karma nonsense, then it should herself to go.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
boss, your friend angmo or asian?

i find it disturbing that in current time still have parents decide on the child future this way. do the kid know what is going on? let the kid decide when he/she is older.

as for your friend, if she believe in karma nonsense, then it should herself to go.

Grew up in Cambodia.... married a Kiwi and ended up in Auckland. Husband died of cancer so ended up whoring to pay bills. She has fixed ideas about what is good for the child and she thinks that a monastery can do a better job than she can.

It's no different from Sinkie parents who decide for their kids what career they should pursue.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
monastery in angmoland? there no age advantage in being a monk as a kid. enlightenment is subjective. either get it or dont get it.

let the kid be himself. hope boss u do the right thing.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
The place in question is BUDDHIST monastery and the child is supposed to be trained to become a BUDDHIST monk all funded by donations from BUDDHISTS.

If that has not got something do to with BUDDHISM I don't know what has.
yah I get that, but it doesn't change the answer to your question. Send to ashram also same problem. don't need buddhist to answer...

it seems that you are looking for someone familiar with immigration and cross-border custodial arrangements. :smile:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
yah I get that, but it doesn't change the answer to your question. Send to ashram also same problem. don't need buddhist to answer...

it seems that you are looking for someone familiar with immigration and cross-border custodial arrangements. :smile:

I asked for a Buddhist's inputs because I have no idea whether this sort of arrangement is commonplace amongst the buddhist community nowadays.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
I asked for a Buddhist's inputs because I have no idea whether this sort of arrangement is commonplace amongst the buddhist community nowadays.

It seems to be Thai/Burmese possibly Tibetan thing. Haven't really heard of it outside the Golden Triangle.

happened to stumble across something in quora. Probably explains her motives :

Sujato Bhikkhu

Answered Dec 28 2016 · Author has 108 answers and 295.7k answer views

I can only speak from my limited experience living as a monk in Thailand for six years, so please don’t take this as an authoritative answer, or assume that it applies to other Buddhist cultures. In Thailand, boys become monks for different reasons.
  1. To make merit for their mother. This is the most common answer you’ll get if you ask such young monks why they ordain. Such ordination is temporary, lasting anywhere between a few weeks and a few months. It is a rite of passage in Thai society, and is considered to pretty much guarantee the parents, especially the mother, a place in heaven. And it doesn’t hurt that it gets the kids out of your hair for the holidays.
  2. To learn and grow. The experience of temporary ordination, ideally, is a chance for a moral education, and to have new experiences that will help the child or young man grow. Think less “abduction by creepy cult” and more “summer camp with educational fun”. Lots of kids love it, have a great time, meet new friends, learn skills, and genuinely benefit.
  3. To escape disadvantaged conditions. This is probably more getting towards permanent ordinations, or at least long term, rather than just for the holidays. Kids who are orphans, from abusive families, abandoned, disabled, and otherwise struggling can often find a welcome home in a temple. Temples fulfill many roles that in developed societies are played by orphanages, foster homes, and the like. Note that, while opportunities for girls are certainly much less than for boys, they are not entirely lacking, and some places offer similar support for girls.
  4. Spiritual vocation. This is, of course, the real reason the Sangha was set up by the Buddha. I assume in some cases boys ordain from a genuine inner desire to practice the Dhamma. But it is certainly the exception.
There’s no such thing in Buddhism (at least as practiced in Thailand) as an irrevocable vow. Any monk can disrobe whenever they like. This is very common, and there is no social stigma. Also, mostly the kids are in a local temple, and the parents can, and often do, visit every day.
While the practice can often have benefits, it is important to be careful. There are lots of bad monks and bad monasteries, and little oversight. At best, kids who ordain there will waste their time, at worst they are vulnerable to abuse. Parents should do due diligence to ensure that they send their kids to a well-run and safe temple.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
It seems to be Thai/Burmese possibly Tibetan thing. Haven't really heard of it outside the Golden Triangle.

happened to stumble across something in quora. Probably explains her motives :

Sujato Bhikkhu
Answered Dec 28 2016 · Author has 108 answers and 295.7k answer views

I can only speak from my limited experience living as a monk in Thailand for six years, so please don’t take this as an authoritative answer, or assume that it applies to other Buddhist cultures. In Thailand, boys become monks for different reasons.
  1. To make merit for their mother. This is the most common answer you’ll get if you ask such young monks why they ordain. Such ordination is temporary, lasting anywhere between a few weeks and a few months. It is a rite of passage in Thai society, and is considered to pretty much guarantee the parents, especially the mother, a place in heaven. And it doesn’t hurt that it gets the kids out of your hair for the holidays.
  2. To learn and grow. The experience of temporary ordination, ideally, is a chance for a moral education, and to have new experiences that will help the child or young man grow. Think less “abduction by creepy cult” and more “summer camp with educational fun”. Lots of kids love it, have a great time, meet new friends, learn skills, and genuinely benefit.
  3. To escape disadvantaged conditions. This is probably more getting towards permanent ordinations, or at least long term, rather than just for the holidays. Kids who are orphans, from abusive families, abandoned, disabled, and otherwise struggling can often find a welcome home in a temple. Temples fulfill many roles that in developed societies are played by orphanages, foster homes, and the like. Note that, while opportunities for girls are certainly much less than for boys, they are not entirely lacking, and some places offer similar support for girls.
  4. Spiritual vocation. This is, of course, the real reason the Sangha was set up by the Buddha. I assume in some cases boys ordain from a genuine inner desire to practice the Dhamma. But it is certainly the exception.
There’s no such thing in Buddhism (at least as practiced in Thailand) as an irrevocable vow. Any monk can disrobe whenever they like. This is very common, and there is no social stigma. Also, mostly the kids are in a local temple, and the parents can, and often do, visit every day.
While the practice can often have benefits, it is important to be careful. There are lots of bad monks and bad monasteries, and little oversight. At best, kids who ordain there will waste their time, at worst they are vulnerable to abuse. Parents should do due diligence to ensure that they send their kids to a well-run and safe temple.

The reason she gives is simply that she honestly believes that the monastery can do a better job than she can in turning the kid into an upright and honorable young man.

Right now she has no time at all for the kid... works from 9 to 6. Kid is in school till 3 pm and then goes to carer who takes care of a bunch of other latchkey kids as well... hardly a good environment given that most of them are Maori.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly if every parent can cop out like this. It ia the typical meddling asian that never ever believes in the kid. Angmoh kids leave hkme at what age? All became fucked up? All must be become monks? If the kid hates her choice in the future then what? This is not religious brainwash like mozzies and jesus lovers?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Grew up in Cambodia.... married a Kiwi and ended up in Auckland. Husband died of cancer so ended up whoring to pay bills. She has fixed ideas about what is good for the child and she thinks that a monastery can do a better job than she can.
Sending a kid to monastery is like castrating their sex life forever. Which is more cruel? Might as well send them to Nepal Monastery, they get to mingle with like-minded kids.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason she gives is simply that she honestly believes that the monastery can do a better job than she can in turning the kid into an upright and honorable young man.

Right now she has no time at all for the kid... works from 9 to 6. Kid is in school till 3 pm and then goes to carer who takes care of a bunch of other latchkey kids as well... hardly a good environment given that most of them are Maori.

I am not Buddhist but my humble 2 cents:

She's copping out and probably wants a fresh start since her husband died and she's stuck with the kid. She can still spend time with the child after work. What a child needs is the unconditional love of a parent, even for a few short hours a day.

What you described sounds like excuses and justifications rather than real reasons.

If you care for the child, don't endorse her choice. But that's probably all you can do.

Ultimately it's her life, her choice, her child.

I can only offer up the parable of the man and his horse, happy reading:

https://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/beyondblue/2010/07/the-old-man-and-his-horse-a-ma.html

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

He gets to play rugby. Except for south africa, the eventual rugby world cup winner, most of the other semi finalist have south pacific islander playing for their country.

jw5

Loyal
Are there any south pacific islanders playing for the Wales team? :confused:

He gets to play rugby. Except for south africa, the eventual rugby world cup winner, most of the other semi finalist have south pacific islander playing for their country.