• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any Buddhists here?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
yes, taoism and buddhism, both.

There is this single mother that I got to know when she hired me to do a photoshoot for a whore website.

She has since retired from the whoring business and now owns a small retail shop which is doing OK.

She is a "devout" Buddhist in that she believes in all this karma stuff and she actually donates a portion of her money to charity.

She wants to send her 5 year old son to a monastery in Canada and is in the process of booking tickets so she can take him there and hand him over to some venerable master so and so who will take care of him and turn him into a fully qualified child monk.

I told her that in the 21st century with all the child protection laws in place there is no way she just drop her son off at the doorstep of a monastery. She insists that it is being done all the time.

I cannot find anything on the internet that would support her claim.

What are your thoughts?

Kee Chew

Alfrescian
Loyal
OMTF, Master Thich Nhat Hanh has just answered you. there is much Merits in what she does for the child. OmTF.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I guess nobody needs a muslim here!

If there are no muslims here I don't mind standing in to be one.

I know a lot about Islam because I had a minah girlfriend for 3 years. What was an eye opener was I learned just how much the muslims hate the value system and the practices of the Chinese community.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is this single mother that I got to know when she hired me to do a photoshoot for a whore website.

She has since retired from the whoring business and now owns a small retail shop which is doing OK.

She is a "devout" Buddhist in that she believes in all this karma stuff and she actually donates a portion of her money to charity.

She wants to send her 5 year old son to a monastery in Canada and is in the process of booking tickets so she can take him there and hand him over to some venerable master so and so who will take care of him and turn him into a fully qualified child monk.

I told her that in the 21st century with all the child protection laws in place there is no way she just drop her son off at the doorstep of a monastery. She insists that it is being done all the time.

What are your thoughts?
are you referring to the little sands monastery at prince edward island?
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-little-monks-of-little-sands/

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
If there are no muslims here I don't mind standing in to be one.

I know a lot about Islam because I had a minah girlfriend for 3 years. What was an eye opener was I learned just how much the muslims hate the value system and the practices of the Chinese community.
It really depends on who the minah mingle with at school. Chinese are seen as arrogant, loud, brash and bullies. But after watching korean movies, its probably a trait all over north east asia.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What are your thoughts?

my thoughts: a child needs to be with the mother not a monk. he can attain monkhood later in life besides there are many child abuses in a monastery. your friend is a nutcase and you need to understand that. no mother would want to send her own child away. the child is only a child and he may not be suited for monkhood. good enough to read scriptures and practise.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
It really depends on who the minah mingle with at school. Chinese are seen as arrogant, loud, brash and bullies. But after watching korean movies, its probably a trait all over north east asia.
She wasn't the main source of information it was her family. They despised the Chinese attitude towards money, lack of care for family members, lack of consideration for others etc.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
my thoughts: a child needs to be with the mother not a monk. he can attain monkhood later in life besides there are many child abuses in a monastery. your friend is a nutcase and you need to understand that. no mother would want to send her own child away. the child is only a child and he may not be suited for monkhood. good enough to read scriptures and practise.
I didn't know you've reached nirvana. Congrats!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
She said it is near Vancouver but it might be run along the same lines. How does it work? Is it like a boarding school?
canadians such as doc and charlie should know about changes in educational laws some years ago. they allow foreign children to be trained as monks and american amish kids to be schooled in "academies" and homeschools in some canadian provinces. i suppose it's like a boarding school, and for buddhism training the school is part of the monastery.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
She wasn't the main source of information it was her family. They despised the Chinese attitude towards money, lack of care for family members, lack of consideration for others etc.
In dr m's case, he studied in singapore and became even more racial.i suppose he did not mingle much.my dad on the other hand, had a great time.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
canadians such as doc and charlie should know about changes in educational laws some years ago. they allow child monks and amish kids to be schooled in "academies" and homeschools in some canadian provinces. i suppose it's like a boarding school, and for buddhism training the school is part of the monastery.

Does the state certify and oversee the operations of these places to ensure health and safety, child welfare etc? Sexual abuse is rampant in monasteries in SEA. She knows that hence the choice of Canada but she has this impression that everything is above board in Ang Moh countries.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal

What are your thoughts?
it is possible that it will be arranged as an adoption. depends on how many hoops they are jumping through.

but what's this got to do with Buddhism?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
it is possible that it will be arranged as an adoption. depends on how many hoops they are jumping through.

but what's this got to do with Buddhism?

The place in question is BUDDHIST monastery and the child is supposed to be trained to become a BUDDHIST monk all funded by donations from BUDDHISTS.

If that has not got something do to with BUDDHISM I don't know what has.