• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anti-Mandatory Death Penalty

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All those supporters of Anti Death Penalty should demand for a national referendum on this issue

But they won't seek a referendum because they know they will surely lose in a direct vote against those who favor death penalty. Those supporters prefer pressuring parliament to pass no death penalty law instead of going the democratic way and let the peasants decide themselves.

It's another case of minorities imposing their wills on the majorities.

jw5

Loyal
All those supporters of Anti Death Penalty should demand for a national referendum on this issue

But they won't seek a referendum because they know they will surely lose in a direct vote against those who favor death penalty. Those supporters prefer pressuring parliament to pass no death penalty law instead of going the democratic way and let the peasants decide themselves.

It's another case of minorities imposing their wills on the majorities.
Are you referring to Taiwan or SG?
This topic is very hot in Taiwan right now, after the former Justice Minister claimed that she would not sign the warrant while she was in office and would prefer to die on behalf of those on death row. Subsequently she had to step down.
But when the new Justice Minister signed his first warrants, the former minister was nowhere to ne found. :smile:

Of course, celebrity Bai Ping Ping got herself involved as her daugher was the tragic victim of a murderer who faced the death penalty.
Do you know more about this case?

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
:smile:

Not only the mandatory DP is foul here but also their enforcements.

Do you know that even lab test can be revised for Ang Moh (German Woman) at the final stage of trial to reduce the amount of drug in the charge to let Ang Moh off the gallows?

:eek:

How many times did all Rep of Singapore Presidents ever exercised their constitutional power of pardons for especially DP? None! Elected President? After asking for 52-man-year report on reserve also lost his job.:p

And Burmese drug-lords are protected here and have huge luxury office here. SG officers attended their wedding and most likely gave Ang Pow to them.:mad:

You made a stand for this issue. That's good!

:wink: One more time this poster for you!

uc

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Uncle Yap,

I suggest that you change the graphic to reflect what they should do if they want to vote for the alternative, i.e., put a 'X' next to the party concerned. Putting a '√' spoils your vote.

You might think this is obvious - I assure you it isn't. I spoke in front of a group of 20 and asked them what they would do if they wanted to vote for a certain party. More than half said they would put a tick. I then began to wonder how many ballots were spoilt this way, especially in the more closely fought wards.

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QBWdXZJjXAs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QBWdXZJjXAs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

MIWIBDogRonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
MIW running doggie RonRon aka cass888 is so fucking dumb, he is trapped inside a row of cans...LOL :biggrin:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6zJv0gssH2s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6zJv0gssH2s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Goh Meng Seng is not anti-death penalty per se, he's anti-mandatory death penalty. What's the difference? Legislated death penalty means that the judge of the case can decide the sentence of the case according to what transpired in the trial up to death penalty, taking into consideration any mitigating factor. Mandatory death penalty means that the judge of the case must sentence the accused to death as long as the statutory definition is satifisfied.

This is executive and legislative usurpation of the power of the judiciary under the principle of seperation of powers of state between executive, legislature and judiciary.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
i don't mind the death penalty if they actually use it on the mastersminds and CEOs who cheat or steal millions of dollars from sheep and FT alike... which is fucking hell never. should depot them to china where they still shoot such scumbags.

darthboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yong Vui Kong was not sentenced in a court of law. He was sentenced in a court of equity. The only reason the authorities appear to be lawless is because the persons in trouble were NOT in a court of law.

The Supreme Court laid it all out in the public gallery. Level 1. If you don't understand the messages at the public gallery, please continue with the death penalty and constitution nonsense.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am against MANDATORY sentences in whatever criminal law as it robs the very much needed discretion from the judge in carrying out his duty.

Justice must be made from the balance between cold logic and human circumstantial considerations. It would be very de-humanizing if everything just goes by the book and rule without any inputs of human feelings. There will be no contradictions here if the change is made at the way we create our law.

Goh Meng Seng

Hah, I never thought a practical law-abiding Singaporean would never support capital punishment - whether mandatory or on the discretion of the judges. Much less from a would-be MP.

Humanizing? What a joke! If drug traffickers are "humanising", then murderers and armed robbers must be angels! Ask around and 99.9% would agree that such harsh punishment is necessary to be fair and just - because by and large Singaporeans are very law-abiding citizens.

In a country where one out of 5 is a non-citizen, and where "tourists" or visitors almost outnumber Singaporeans 3 to 1 (11 million visitors a year), Singapore must have strong laws. For the Singaporeans, obeying the laws is not an issue -whether not to cut queue waiting for taxi or buying 4-D, smoke in crowded places, eat chewing gums or throwing litter.

You get a citizen or a non-citizen defacing the MRT train or throwing red paint on someone's door, you get the rotan on your backside in return - no question about it. Everyone supports it - may be except Goh Meng Seng.

The main reason why Singapore is such a safe place is basically because of strict laws and enforcement. Remember the police slogan : Low crime does not mean no crime.

It's more reasonable to talk about increases in kindergarten school fees, rise in prices of essential goods, transport fare hikes, increases in water and electricity charges, loss of jobs to foreigners, increase in GST or ERP, high salary of ministers, etc - Goh MS or any opposition candidate may get a fighting chance.

If Goh Meng Seng is standing election on this "de-humanising" capital punishment platform, he can kiss his political ambition goodbye.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Uncle Yap,

I suggest that you change the graphic to reflect what they should do if they want to vote for the alternative, i.e., put a 'X' next to the party concerned. Putting a '√' spoils your vote.

You might think this is obvious - I assure you it isn't. I spoke in front of a group of 20 and asked them what they would do if they wanted to vote for a certain party. More than half said they would put a tick. I then began to wonder how many ballots were spoilt this way, especially in the more closely fought wards.

Hahaha, a good one. Very practical observation but don't blame him. He probably has never voted all his life - all walkovers! hehehe!

Come closer to election time, the gahment will surely come out with an educational video to show people how to vote.

Because of ageing population, there are many Ah Sohs and Ah Kongs who may have forgotten how to vote in a general election.