• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anti-Mandatory Death Penalty

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Death sentences traditionally have been applied for treason and murder. The first is where the impact on society is immense and the second is basically rooted on an eye for an eye though the legal eagles will deny it.

Other crimes must have similar impact. Drugs ruin the lifes of hundreds of people and one pusher can do a lot of damage. So the impact on society is high.

The death sentence does not apply for trafficking per se but for trafficking or possession of a significant quantity. In Singapore its 15 grams for heroin. 1/3 gram is already a fatal dose. 15 grams can go all the way to 450 straws. We get high grade heroin as we are close to the source. The US addicts get about 13% purity so the addiction and deaths are no so bad as asian addicts who do much purer stuff. Occasionally we get singapore students who studied overseas and on returning home claiming very proudly to have snorted this and that. If they tried the same dosage here, they would be dead.

Some years ago, a singaporean girl and boy who were studying in OZ returned to singapore and took the opportunity to go to JB for a snort. Not realising that dosage is of a higher purity, took it. People immediately noticed 2 zombies at the causeway, high as dogshit. They were both charged in court.

The issue is further compounded by the fact that we are so close to the source and we are a regional transport hub. Naturally there is big money to traffick thru singapore. If we did not have high penalty, we might see our kids and family members involved to such an extent, that our regular annual trips US/ Europe for holidays to various themes parks may have to be changed to visit their prisons to say high to our kids who are serving sentences overseas. With the death sentence, no singaporean is mad enough to try it except for an imbecile few.

To sum it up, the death penalty will have to be introduced to cover more than drug trafficking in the future. Cos there will be crimes that have as large, if not , a worse impact, upon the general population as countries open up and triads and crime lords get more complex in their operation.

The only way to deal with them is to permannently put them out of action for good.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The other thing of interests that needs to be asked is why hang them? Why not shoot them, lethal inject them, electrocute them, etc.? These are the common and preferred means in major capital punishment countries like China and the US. The only logical conclusion that can be drawn is the accused organs are being harvested for sale or use some where else.

Oh Christ you have a conspiracy theory here! :biggrin:

The Ten Commandments

Exodus 20:16 (New International Version)

16 "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Oh Christ you have a conspiracy theory here! :biggrin:

No? Well you just look at all the recent HOTA regulations, etc. There is going to be more ususable organs than a population of this size can use. Lethal injection is universally accepted as the most humane method of death. U go to sleep and never wake up again. Hanging however, is not. That is why people use to gather at public hangings to watch the person writhe and struggle for air until he dies. If he is lucky, and the executioner is good, his neck will be broken first and he will die right away. Notice there has never been any discussion to switch to electrocution or lethal injection at all.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Papsmearer,

Actually my stand is no different from yours if you read my post again carefully. :wink:

I am not against death penalty but the MANDATORY nature of it. Yes, I agree totally with you about the cases and the possibilities of the law being applied wrongly.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh, I think that you are missing the whole point here. The death penalty is one thing. I agree with it for really heinous crimes like mass premeditated murder and what not.

But with regards to drug related death penalties, the things that spring to my mind after reading the newspaper accounts of the various trials over the years, is how flimsy the evidence is. In some cases, the victim or criminal was caught with the drugs, never committed a crime before, and in many cases could have been innocent victims who had someone put something into their luggage. Its only the word of the police officer or Customs officer that say they found the drugs in the accused luggage. It could happen to Chee Soon Juan when he comes back from overseas. U see what I mean. What is their motive? Money? Some one risks their lives for a few thousand dollars to act as a courier? A heroin user? No, most of these people are not addicts. In todays tech age, its not difficult to find out whether the package where the drug was wrapped in has the accused DNA. Was his fingerprints on the packing? Was his saliva used to seal the package? There are many ways to determine if the accused actually handled the drugs. Did the accused have the drugs in his bloodstream? I have not seen one mention of a prosecutor saying that they found traces of heroin under the accused's fingernails or something like that. In a court in the US or UK, this case would have a poor chance of a successful max penalty prosecution. I can tell you for sure that luggage at airports get broken into all the time. People steal from luggages. Its just as easy to put something in a luggage as it is to take out something. U yourself have said that the onus is onthe accused to prove his innocence, quite the opposite of what the law says.

The other thing of interests that needs to be asked is why hang them? Why not shoot them, lethal inject them, electrocute them, etc.? These are the common and preferred means in major capital punishment countries like China and the US. The only logical conclusion that can be drawn is the accused organs are being harvested for sale or use some where else.

I think you should say to keep the drug death penalty but the burden should be overwhelmingly on the state to prove their case.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
No? Well you just look at all the recent HOTA regulations, etc. There is going to be more ususable organs than a population of this size can use. Lethal injection is universally accepted as the most humane method of death. U go to sleep and never wake up again. Hanging however, is not. That is why people use to gather at public hangings to watch the person writhe and struggle for air until he dies. If he is lucky, and the executioner is good, his neck will be broken first and he will die right away. Notice there has never been any discussion to switch to electrocution or lethal injection at all.

Singapore uses the long drop which means the neck will snap (or maybe the convict even decapitated).

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually I believe they use the 'measured drop', i.e. the length of the rope (hence distance dropped) is determined by the weight of the condemned on the eve of the execution. That way, you crush the third vertebrae without too much dnager of decapitation - 'best' of both worlds.

Singapore uses the long drop which means the neck will snap (or maybe the convict even decapitated).

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I do have my reservations about the HOTA thing but to link this to Death Penalty is really a bit too far fetch.

Goh Meng Seng

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I do have my reservations about the HOTA thing but to link this to Death Penalty is really a bit too far fetch.

Goh Meng Seng

I am trying to say that the death penalty method of hanging leaves the organs to be harvested. The mindset of the PAP is to turn this country into a centre for organ trafficking and harvesting. Hence the way the HOTA rules were introduced dispite grave reservations. The organ harvesting from the death penalty is another way to traffic in organs.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why people loves to see othes die, even though they have done nothing wrong to us?

Aren't we sick to the core? Who still doesn't believe we don't have original sin!

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
why don't you ask the God of old testament which he enjoys giving out death penalties,,,,,,,,,, read Deu and Lev

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
The quickest way of execution is by hanging...thus the choice...lethal injection requires a few injections which will take quite many mins...death by electrocution takes longer than by hanging and makes ur eyeballs pop out of ur sockets. Death by hanging won't make you writhe and struggle. Weights are tied to your legs and trapdoor opens..down u go and snap..ur neck broke and u r dead...in a jiffy...

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you give a milimetre, they would ask for a meter
next to would ask for marijuana to be legalised.
The nation is getting soft.

normalsingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
In politics, you got to be practical and there are some issues that you should avoid making a stance, whatever your beliefs.

This is one of those.

I have written about this topic a couple of years ago in some internet forums. I have just realized that I didn't record it down in my blog here.

The issue of Death Penalty arises every now and then whenever there are cases concern drug traffickers being tried and the convicted are due for hanging. I am no expert in law but somehow I find it quite funny that even murder could be lessen to a crime of manslaughter which doesn't necessary warrant a mandatory death penalty but drug traffickers are dealt with a direct mandatory death penalty regardless of age and other circumstances.

The present case involving Yong Vui Kong is worth noting because the judge preceding the case has specifically asked the prosecutor and defendant lawyer into his chamber to ask the prosecutor whether the charge could be lessen in any ways. But the prosecutor refused to lessen the charge and the judge, although apparently he felt that the accused deserve a second chance in life, has no choice but to read out the verdict of death penalty just because it is the MANDATORY sentence.

This is the case whereby a law that stipulated a MANDATORY GRAVE SENTENCE of DEATH PENALTY has robbed the preceding judges of the necessary discretion that he needs. Our legal system should not be diminished into just a de-humanized system of strict and rigid rules because justice is based on two main faculties, one is the cold logic of right and wrong, the other, the consideration of human emotions and circumstances whereby crimes are committed.

Furthermore, there may be circumstances that wrong findings may result in injustice being done. In our system, when you are charged and accused of a serious crime like drug trafficking, the onus of proof lies with you, the accused, rather than the prosecutor. For example, if someone made use of your friendship to carry illegal drugs into Singapore to pass it to someone as a "Christmas Gift" and you were caught at the custom, even if you are unaware that the "gift" is actually a decoy containing illegal drugs, you will be charged as drug trafficker.

There isn't a need for any further proof of any sorts, other than the drug appears in the bag that belongs to you. Even if someone mischievously sabotage you by stuffing it into your bag without you knowing.

There is almost zero chance for you to prove your innocence. The prosecutor does not need to prove that you are a "willing" partner in the trafficking and simply by the fact that these drugs are found in your bags, you will be charged, found guilty and hung. The police and prosecutor are least interested in finding out who gave you the drugs and if you are paid to do so, who are the masterminds behind it.

This is the absurdity of the law. There are also criticisms that while our government is over zealous in hanging every small drug mules but yet they have legitimate business dealings with the biggest drug lord in Burma. If that is true, then that is really the biggest irony.

I always wonder whether there are any FRUITFUL follow up on the capture of these small drug mules, beside sending them to the gallows. I mean, shouldn't the police follow the leads from these drug mules to crack down on the drug ring leaders? Or even cooperate with foreign agencies to crack down on these international drug trafficking organizations? If what these drug mules have provided help to crack down on the bigger ring leaders, shouldn't we show some mercy and clemency over them?

Maybe in Singapore, the mindset of the authorities is that showing mercy or clemency is a sign of "weakness". It is not. It is a sign of social maturity, progress and humility if appropriate clemency is shown to those who deserve it.

Drug Trafficking is a serious offense but so is Death Penalty as a grave sentence. A serious offense like Drug Trafficking would need serious findings of guilt other than physical evidence. Just like the case of killing a person. It could well be a MURDER which is planned intent, or manslaughter in a "freak" incident. Or just basically an accident. The intent of the accused is of paramount importance. Thus I could not understand why the proof for such a serious offense like Drug Trafficking is just so simple.

Death Penalty is a serious grave sentence that could not be rectified later if the judgment is found to wrong. It is an irreversible sentence. Strange enough, such a serious sentence could be belittled by the law in making it "Mandatory" in cases like drug trafficking. Law is not at all black and white but has a big patch of gray. There are many instances where the judge could not be conclusive in the findings but just based on what he chose to believe to make his judgment. If this is the case, discretion should be given to the judge to make the necessary moderation in his sentencing.

I admire the persistency of some of the human rights activists and lawyers in continuing their fight against death penalty. I may not agree with them totally in the abolishment of death penalty because there are indeed many people who did evil things in this world who need no lesser punishment than the death penalty. But I would find that have a law that assert Death Penalty as the Mandatory sentence for Drug Trafficking or other crimes is not that appropriate at all. In fact, I do not prefer to have mandatory sentencing embedded in any law of crimes because we are a human society. Discretion should be given to the wise judges to decide on the sentence based on the severity of the case and the various circumstances surrounding it.

While many activists may feel hopeful that Yong Vui Kong may have a chance in his appeal because he has won unprecedented battle to get his execution extended twice, but I feel that as long as the law is not changed to get rid of the Mandatory nature of the Death Penalty, chances are that he will not get his second chance in life. There will be many more Yong Vui Kong in future.

For the mean time, it would be good for his family to treasure whatever time he has left in this world while we shall continue to press for a CHANGE in our law and justice to be done by getting the authorities to get the main culprits, the drug ring leaders, to proper justice.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
In politics, you got to be practical and there are some issues that you should avoid making a stance, whatever your beliefs.

This is one of those.

Although this is not something that most voters will be concerned about, but it is an important issue of justice. Social justice as well as judicial.

Goh Meng Seng

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why people loves to see othes die, even though they have done nothing wrong to us?

Aren't we sick to the core? Who still doesn't believe we don't have original sin!

your god also love to see people die ....

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is one of those.

i disagree, everyone should have their own views..

whether you agree or should not decide his eligibility to run for elections...:biggrin:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Although this is not something that most voters will be concerned about, but it is an important issue of justice. Social justice as well as judicial.

Goh Meng Seng

i vote for any candidate who support abolishment of death penalty....then we don't have more any more spaces for political prisoners...:biggrin: