• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anti-Mandatory Death Penalty

normalsingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are a politician, then start thinking like one. Getting elected is your #1 priority.

If you want to be academic critic or a social activist that wants to solve all injustice in this world, then stop wanting to be a politician.

This is something that NO voter are concerned about? Your comments, if being stired up by opponents/media alike, will just stir up the hornets and you will not be able to defend yourself.

Although this is not something that most voters will be concerned about, but it is an important issue of justice. Social justice as well as judicial.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Frankly speaking, I am half a social activist and half a politician. That's my main problem now.

Goh Meng Seng

If you are a politician, then start thinking like one. Getting elected is your #1 priority.

If you want to be academic critic or a social activist that wants to solve all injustice in this world, then stop wanting to be a politician.

This is something that NO voter are concerned about? Your comments, if being stired up by opponents/media alike, will just stir up the hornets and you will not be able to defend yourself.

normalsingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Christ sake. Maybe now I understand why ISA was only used on TLH and FS. Only those two are true-blue politicians who pose a threat! Anyone got any views maybe that is why our opposition is in this current state?

Honestly, for all its worth, LTK is the cloest to the real deal in terms of being a politicians than all others that I am seeing, especially the so-call younger opposition members.

Mr Goh, if you are saying this even at this time on not knowing whether you are a politician, then you are not even the faintest ready.

I write this for all to read. Politicians no.1 priority is to get elected. All the things that you do, write, read or even breathe is to gear towards that. Anything that you do, write, read or eat that hampers you getting elected is to be eliminated. Simple as that. Else, if you want to save the world, go join the UN, Red Cross, SPCA.

Frankly speaking, I am half a social activist and half a politician. That's my main problem now.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I am not saying I don't know my position but in fact, I know fully well my position. I am both a politician as well as a social activist.

Winning as a politician is important, but conscience matters equally as well.

Goh Meng Seng

Christ sake. Maybe now I understand why ISA was only used on TLH and FS. Only those two are true-blue politicians who pose a threat! Anyone got any views maybe that is why our opposition is in this current state?

Honestly, for all its worth, LTK is the cloest to the real deal in terms of being a politicians than all others that I am seeing, especially the so-call younger opposition members.

Mr Goh, if you are saying this even at this time on not knowing whether you are a politician, then you are not even the faintest ready.

I write this for all to read. Politicians no.1 priority is to get elected. All the things that you do, write, read or even breathe is to gear towards that. Anything that you do, write, read or eat that hampers you getting elected is to be eliminated. Simple as that. Else, if you want to save the world, go join the UN, Red Cross, SPCA.

normalsingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
What on earth are you writing and thinking here? What is your priority here? My god!

Quote from a really famous person (you go check it out) " To win in politics, you need to make more friends than enemies. "

You need all the people you can win over. By stating a stance on an issue where it is basically a 50-50, how can it help you in getting elected? Another example is taking sides in the AWARE incident, does it help any politician to take sides as it basically take 50% of the people out from supporting you?

In short, a politician knows when to SHUT HIS MOUTH UP! I wonder whether you guys ever did a review of our good frend who voted a PAP guy in BP. Classic classic non-political thinking.

I posted another reply in another thread. Maybe PAP guys are better politicians after all.....sigh

normalsingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just to add that there is no such thing as a 50% social activist and 50% politician. It just makes u a damm weak and stupid politician.

Sorry for the directness but you are digging a hole that is too deep to climb.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Just to add that there is no such thing as a 50% social activist and 50% politician. It just makes u a damm weak and stupid politician.

Sorry for the directness but you are digging a hole that is too deep to climb.

Politics indeed is a number game. Social activists are not binded by the numbers but their cause while politicians have to win as many votes as possible.

But put it this way, to be a politician, you cannot possibly please everybody. Least a government could achieve that. Of course, it is good for politician to avoid touchy issues while going for populist issue, but somehow, conscience itself is simply to be truthful to our own selves.

It is difficult for many people to understand how social activist could reconcile as a politician but there are indeed many social activists that become politicians in many other places. Well, I should say they could only survive in a system that allows minority voices to be heard, via the proportional representation system.

Some may feel that it would be a weak standing for any politicians to state categorically what is right to his own conscience but unimportant or even controversial ideas to the electorates. But I believe, that is the main strength of a politician to have his own mind and beliefs instead of some opportunistic politicians that will only speak with sweet twisted tongues.

Goh Meng Seng

normalsingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
A politician will have to believe that you will need to be elected first, then you will have the power to change to suit your views. Again, I have to emphase, get elected first, then do what you can with your powers to change the world to your liking. Then, work doubly hard to stay in power to ensure you can continue to change things! Politics 101 isn't it?

I never never advocate lying, but digging holes and getting into unnecessary controversy isn't going to help.

Any lastly, don't blame the environment. IF you have the same mentality in Taiwan, it will not work for you too. From your reply, go be a social activist as you will never be a good opposition politician. There are reasons why Chiam and Low are there. This is the main one. Check out how Chiam handled his anniversary dinner tonight and how he presented his speech. I think even for simple things like that, 90% of the oppo politicians cannot do it well.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
What has happened in Chiam's anniversary dinner tonight?

Goh Meng Seng

A politician will have to believe that you will need to be elected first, then you will have the power to change to suit your views. Again, I have to emphase, get elected first, then do what you can with your powers to change the world to your liking. Then, work doubly hard to stay in power to ensure you can continue to change things! Politics 101 isn't it?

I never never advocate lying, but digging holes and getting into unnecessary controversy isn't going to help.

Any lastly, don't blame the environment. IF you have the same mentality in Taiwan, it will not work for you too. From your reply, go be a social activist as you will never be a good opposition politician. There are reasons why Chiam and Low are there. This is the main one. Check out how Chiam handled his anniversary dinner tonight and how he presented his speech. I think even for simple things like that, 90% of the oppo politicians cannot do it well.

normalsingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing extraordinary happen. Now isn't that just great? No controversy, no nothing. The media focus was all on his long-standing in PP. All positives. That, is what politicians need to keep it mind.

Mr Goh, take a leaf from your previous Chairman. I believed she mentioned that the aim of all political parties is to be the government in the future. Now, THAT is the correct attitude. All these wishy-washy and easy-way-out attitude that you are projecting is making me really disappointed.

P.S. Not posted for years......

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
There is no easy-way-out. Have I implied that?

Aim of all political parties is to be the government in the future, whether in our life time or not is really unknown.

I have talked about this before about the source of politicians and I guess I will have to talk about it again. Social activists are the backbone of political development. Traditionally in Singapore, there are quite a number of routes whereby people take to political activism, as in becoming politicians. Lawyers, teachers, etc, but little recognized part is Social activism.

I would say that my transition comes from social activism and I will always proud to acknowledge that once a social activist. always a social activist.

Maybe it is a little bit difficult for you to understand but there is really little difference between social activist vs politician except that social activists value more on altruism and guided by their very own principles in their fight on whatever cause they chose to fight.

To become a government or not, is of course least of their concerns, unlike a political party. Their only concern is about effecting change to the society to what they desire to be.

Then you may ask, what kind of social activist am I and what am I fighting for? It is a wider base of social activism which includes political change to this system. We may not even need to become the government of the day to effect certain changes but the change must come via the electoral process.

Anyway, I digress. The truth is, frankly speaking, I may not live to see the day of PAP's down fall although certain political changes in the system may be effected. Well, it may sound like a defeatist mindset but honestly speaking, there are many voters out there who may vote for opposition but are not ready for such drastic thing to happen in Singapore. The change will have to be gradual for a start.

Goh Meng Seng

Nothing extraordinary happen. Now isn't that just great? No controversy, no nothing. The media focus was all on his long-standing in PP. All positives. That, is what politicians need to keep it mind.

Mr Goh, take a leaf from your previous Chairman. I believed she mentioned that the aim of all political parties is to be the government in the future. Now, THAT is the correct attitude. All these wishy-washy and easy-way-out attitude that you are projecting is making me really disappointed.

P.S. Not posted for years......

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just be yourself lah!

Don't be fakes, the world are run by fakes...

We have so many problems now!! LOOK!

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Want to have a fighting chance in the next GE, stay out of the penalty issue! Kenneth Jeyaratnam has already disqualified himself.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the mean time, it would be good for his family to treasure whatever time he has left in this world while we shall continue to press for a CHANGE in our law and justice to be done by getting the authorities to get the main culprits, the drug ring leaders, to proper justice.

Goh Meng Seng

Talking about this subject with my relatives and friends in Sg, many seem to believe that by hanging drug offenders, the authorities are doing Sg society a favour, even the highly educated and "successful" ones. Whether this mindset came from Opium War wounds (long time eh, and for the wrong reasons) or media brainwashing, it is the norm in Sg society and up to the people to reason for themselves whether to support this "law" or not.

Cheers!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actully, its an issue that the majority of older voters would be concerned and their stand would be opposite to yours and those of the younger generation. Its something that you keep to yourself in your journey to seek greater good for the nation.

Although this is not something that most voters will be concerned about,

normalsingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. You have totally digress from our original discussion. My point is simple. If you want to be elected, act like a politician and work 100% towards it. Be focus and single-minded about it. Give yourself the maximum possibility to be elected.

However, you are you. You decide. If you want to continue to be 50% social activitist and 50% politician, please go ahead. I have nothing more to add on this topic.

There is no easy-way-out. Have I implied that?

Aim of all political parties is to be the government in the future, whether in our life time or not is really unknown.

I have talked about this before about the source of politicians and I guess I will have to talk about it again. Social activists are the backbone of political development. Traditionally in Singapore, there are quite a number of routes whereby people take to political activism, as in becoming politicians. Lawyers, teachers, etc, but little recognized part is Social activism.

I would say that my transition comes from social activism and I will always proud to acknowledge that once a social activist. always a social activist.

Maybe it is a little bit difficult for you to understand but there is really little difference between social activist vs politician except that social activists value more on altruism and guided by their very own principles in their fight on whatever cause they chose to fight.

To become a government or not, is of course least of their concerns, unlike a political party. Their only concern is about effecting change to the society to what they desire to be.

Then you may ask, what kind of social activist am I and what am I fighting for? It is a wider base of social activism which includes political change to this system. We may not even need to become the government of the day to effect certain changes but the change must come via the electoral process.

Anyway, I digress. The truth is, frankly speaking, I may not live to see the day of PAP's down fall although certain political changes in the system may be effected. Well, it may sound like a defeatist mindset but honestly speaking, there are many voters out there who may vote for opposition but are not ready for such drastic thing to happen in Singapore. The change will have to be gradual for a start.

Goh Meng Seng

normalsingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
I totally agree. It is a hornets' nest. Disturb it and you get sting.

Actully, its an issue that the majority of older voters would be concerned and their stand would be opposite to yours and those of the younger generation. Its something that you keep to yourself in your journey to seek greater good for the nation.

jw5

Loyal
I am not saying I don't know my position but in fact, I know fully well my position. I am both a politician as well as a social activist.

Winning as a politician is important, but conscience matters equally as well.

Goh Meng Seng
There's nothing wrong with being half a politician and half a social activist.
But you need to know when to be one and when to be the other.

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qxy4wvDmS3E&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qxy4wvDmS3E&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo: