• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Adapt or 'Quit' ?

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was having lunch with a buddy. We were colleagues in China and came back about the same time. He's a member of Mensa, had an IQ of more than 140, came back to marry a Malay and became a Muslim. I always admire his intelligence, positive attitude and his guts for going after the things he want.

We often had the usual conversations of how Singapore had changed so much over such a short time, influx of FT etc. and of course all the good times we had in China. We share the same views on a lot of things except for one thing.

I've mentioned that I had a 'culture shock' when I came back and didn't expect that after spending just a few years overseas. I'm sick of working with so many useless FTs esp the ah nehs. Sometimes I feel like a foreigner myself, which is a total contrast when I was in China, where the people treat me like one of them. Of course I'm also fed up with the govt, the high costs of living..........etc. I'm disillusioned and don't think things will get better in the future in Singapore. I'm planning to go back to China. Its similar to what my dad did more than half a decade ago but in my case, its the other way round.

My buddy said that although he did not agree with the FT policy, he still thought that its inevitable and this is not going to change. Its just like the HDB prices or COE - don't expect them to drop to historical lows cause its not going to happen However, he thought that since this is the way its gonna be, we should learn to adapt and be that change agent, if we are not happy with the things in our life. In a nutshell, he thinks we should learn to adapt and not just run away from here. This is afterall, our home. During my dad's time, its either he leave or starve to death in China but we are not in that kind of situation now.

So what do you think? Who is right? Is this a pessimist vs a optimist views of Singapore? Is this a high IQ vs low IQ peoples' points of views? Am I a quiter and an escapist who don't have the guts to adapt and be that change agent in his homeland?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
we should learn to adapt and be that change agent, if we are not happy with the things in our life. In a nutshell, he thinks we should learn to adapt and not just run away from here. This is afterall, our home.

i cannot disagree with what your buddy say.

but can you enlightened me on how a sinkie who is so used to bend down and let his govt screw his ass and adapted to become someone to protest and demand his rights from the govt.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
don't let yourself be mentally affected by all these stereotype labels.

If you have difficulty adjusting here, and believe that happiness is in another country - just go.

If you think you want to try and adapt and make it here, just do it.

Why worry what others think what is right or wrong? There is not right or wrong. It's you and how you want to live. Believe in yourself, no matter where you live. Nothing to do with high/low IQ, pessimist/optimist, quitter or queer.... your dad didn't worry about all this when he made the big move; he did what was best for himself and his family.

Follow in your father's footsteps and go where happiness is. You have the advantage of having lived in both China and Singapore, so you know the pros and cons already - no need to ask others whether grass is greener on which side.

Search your feelings and do the right thing for yourself and your family.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

I would suggest heading to the first world. Work and develop in an environment where the the future is made.

You should never adapt when it means to a lower quality of life.

Was having lunch with a buddy. We were colleagues in China and came back about the same time. He's a member of Mensa, had an IQ of more than 140, came back to marry a Malay and became a Muslim. I always admire his intelligence, positive attitude and his guts for going after the things he want.

So what do you think? Who is right? Is this a pessimist vs a optimist views of Singapore? Is this a high IQ vs low IQ peoples' points of views? Am I a quiter and an escapist who don't have the guts to adapt and be that change agent in his homeland?

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go to a place where one can lead a productive and fruitful life, in relation to the amount of effort one expends.

Ask your buddy, what is a "home"? I also like to know what a "highly" intelligent being thinks:o

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
This one is good, wise and objctive adviCe:o

don't let yourself be mentally affected by all these stereotype labels.

If you have difficulty adjusting here, and believe that happiness is in another country - just go.

If you think you want to try and adapt and make it here, just do it.

Why worry what others think what is right or wrong? There is not right or wrong. It's you and how you want to live. Believe in yourself, no matter where you live. Nothing to do with high/low IQ, pessimist/optimist, quitter or queer.... your dad didn't worry about all this when he made the big move; he did what was best for himself and his family.

Follow in your father's footsteps and go where happiness is. You have the advantage of having lived in both China and Singapore, so you know the pros and cons already - no need to ask others whether grass is greener on which side.

Search your feelings and do the right thing for yourself and your family.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The equation is simple. Like it or not, jobs are moving from Developed to Developing countries en mass. US, EU, Japan are all struggling to keep jobs in their own countries. PAP adopted the tactic of pulling in FTs so that those same jobs that are going to other countries stays within our shores. The plus is obviously keeping those jobs here and having some of them occupied by locals. The down side, well U know better then I do. With the impact of globalization, country borders means little nowadays. What's most important to big corporate org is the buttom line and with Wages in SG comparable to first world nations, it' hard to justify having your company remain in the country. We can chase the FTs out of SG but there is no stopping having to compete with FTs in working in other countries. Someone posted this article on Nokia, it tells the entire story

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_20339634/nokia-town-faces-dim-future-jobs-shift-asia

Here is another nice article on Apple
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html?pagewanted=all

U can curse and swear at PAP or FT policy all U want but the truth of the matter remains, FT here or competing with Foreigners in their own country. Either way U will still be competing with FTs

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was having lunch with a buddy ...

... I'm sick of working with so many useless FTs esp the ah nehs. Sometimes I feel like a foreigner myself, which is a total contrast when I was in China, where the people treat me like one of them ...

My buddy ... thinks we should learn to adapt and not just run away from here. This is afterall, our home ...
u shud haf lunch wif ur buddy again ...

tel him 2 tel u strongly dat he cooden stand life in sinkieland any mor n want 2 leave 4 goot ... n u shud argue wif him dat u wanna stay put as u wanna adapt tis ur home ...

both of u muz haf strong conviction in ur argumens ... :cool:

breaknews

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usually if you are bored living in one country, you should try another.

It will give you a different perspective and new understanding of life.

Especially attitudes to Singaporeans from outside.

Don't be a frog in a well complaining everyday.

When you can jump out of the well and see the world in different perspectives.

Last edited: