• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Love driving on Sunday mornings in Bangkok especially the highways. Bangkok's tollways are well built and for high speed too. On an empty highway like this, just cruise at at high speed it's exhilarating.

Sone of you may recognize some of the buildings here.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Went to this restaurant - Rimpa Lapin - just south of Jomtien. Chonburifc will most probably know.

IMG_1121_zps5cba1459.jpg

Breathtakingly beautiful. My lousy camera phone does not do it justice so here's the website:
Rimpa Lapin
Quite hiso. Owned by ch7 star. The one always act bad guys or gay.

Chances of seeing TVs stars very high here. Roti, this one view cannot fight sea sand and sun and glasshouse. All along same stretch .
But foodwise, all lose to preecha. These places for entertaining Lah. Good news for wine drinkers, all the above mentioned places has good selection of wines. For those who don't want go to far, can also try sut tang rak right at end of jomtien.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quite hiso.

Chances of seeing TVs stars very high here.

You - pen yang ngai baang? Must be very busy. Wasn't even sure you were in Pattaya so didn't call.
I didn't pick the place so I didn't know what to expect. Looked really nice and it didn't seem super expensive.
Around 200-300B per dish, and the total bill came up to maybe 2300B with 3-4 small jugs of Heineken (I didn't drink) for 4 people.
I liked the food too.

As usual, I went to Fung Pa Pow a couple of times too. The food there I like.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Its always nice to wake up with a sea view. Took this this morning. Too bad gotto leave now for office in Bangkok but family continue to stay for another 2 nights.

[video=youtube;aFC6rMC1wNw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFC6rMC1wNw[/video]

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: slice of thai mango 10/9

Thought this blog was interesting for visitors to LOS, aptly called miss tam chiak:p

http://www.misstamchiak.com/10-must-try-food-places-in-bangkok/

nice blog.

most of the stuffs i can't eat .

but i would like to try the phad thai and ask for veggie version without prawn sauce in it.

the bread i tried before , it is kaya bread style.

the bun i can only eat the salad bun

papaya salad, if i eat it, should be without the fish sauce but i just dun fit in.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: slice of thai mango 10/9

Going to try that wonton. Curious to see how it compares to the Spore version:smile:
Just note it caters to night crowd (open after 8, so says the blog). Never tried it, but put my money on this one oppsite Pratunam Mall, soi 19 Petchaburi. Mornings into afternoon, and "expanded" from kerbside do (years since I last been there). Then, you had the sino thai fat boss, with only cash register duties and khun thai kakis doing the cooking and hard work. :p

http://reviews.noobcook.com/pratunam-wonton-noodles/

http://sugarplumgal.blogspot.sg/2012/05/best-wanton-noodles-in-bangkok.html
(not of sadplumpgal infamy??:eek:)

And if you order dry version, normally soup is not by default

Last edited:

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Love driving on Sunday mornings in Bangkok especially the highways. Bangkok's tollways are well built and for high speed too. On an empty highway like this, just cruise at at high speed it's exhilarating.

Sone of you may recognize some of the buildings here.

Joe does your car have a HUD? I could see your speed off your windscreen at the bottom !!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Joe does your car have a HUD? I could see your speed off your windscreen at the bottom !!

Ha, you noticed. Ya. It tells speed and other information including GPS instruction to travel etc

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
slice of thai mango 17/9

Looks like the rubber standoff is getting out of hand...10 police trucks burnt and 70 cops injured

rubber.jpg

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sec...ers-attack-police-media-at-southern-roadblock

And this was a funny one, with thief at gold shop ran out gas for welding torch:p

Gold thief runs out of gas
Published: 16 Sep 2013 at 09.53 Online news: Local News

PHUKET - A robber who broke into a gold shop in Kathu district on Sunday left empty-handed after the welding equipment he used to try and burn a hole through the safe ran out of gas.

Shop owner Nuchapa Ketdarat, 49, found her shop had been broken into, although the safe was intact. The robber left behind a welding machine and two empty gas cylinders.

Police said the thief used the torch to cut through the wrought iron protecting the safe.

But his welding torch ran out of gas before he could finish the jub and cut through the safe.

Police said they were reviewing footage from the surveillance camera installed near the shop to identify the robber.

Last edited:

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: slice of thai mango 17/9

Looks like the rubber standoff is getting out of hand...10 police trucks burnt and 70 cops injured

View attachment 12182

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sec...ers-attack-police-media-at-southern-roadblock

And this was a funny one, with thief at gold shop ran out gas for welding torch:p

Gold thief runs out of gas
Published: 16 Sep 2013 at 09.53 Online news: Local News

PHUKET - A robber who broke into a gold shop in Kathu district on Sunday left empty-handed after the welding equipment he used to try and burn a hole through the safe ran out of gas.

Shop owner Nuchapa Ketdarat, 49, found her shop had been broken into, although the safe was intact. The robber left behind a welding machine and two empty gas cylinders.

Police said the thief used the torch to cut through the wrought iron protecting the safe.

But his welding torch ran out of gas before he could finish the jub and cut through the safe.

Police said they were reviewing footage from the surveillance camera installed near the shop to identify the robber.

Thanks for this post! Started my day off. The thief had "one of those days":biggrin:

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal

I usually don't drink in Thailand because I cannot really stand pale lagers, but the last trip I decided to drink Thai beer. Not a lot, but more than a few. I was inspired by the some recent thread here on Thai beer.

My main source was Family Mart :smile:

So over a period of a week, I drank what I could find which was Archa, Cheers, Leo, Singha and Chang (not the Export but Local version). Tiger, also found in Family Mart, is also brewed in Thailand by APB Heineken but I wisely demurred. Heineken was the other "foreign" brand widely available in Family Mart in bottle form. There's another Thai Brewer - Thai Amarit - bought over by San Miguel - but couldn't find its beers in Family Mart. And of course, ThaiBev and Boon Rawd also brew "pseudo-German" premium beers that are in essence really Thai brands e.g. Federbrau. Available at BigC but not Family Mart

In the end, only because I didn't want to balance glass bottles on shaky motosai trips (I needed both hands to balance myself), I went with bottles that were in Family Mart's cooler.

Leo and Singha are brewed by Boon Rawd. Did you know that both mean the same thing e.g. a Lion?
Archa and Chang are by ThaiBev
Cheers is brewed by APB Heineken.

It's hard to separate them: all were not great. Certainly not price, if I recall correctly, 6 baht difference between Singha and Archa for a large bottle = insignificant even for Thais.
In the end, I went with Archa; it was the easiest to drink without a bitter hoppy after-taste. Very similar to Bud Light. Both trash but easy to drink.

Next day, no "hang". Next time, back to no beer for me.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

inspired by the some recent thread here on Thai beer. Next day, no "hang". Next time, back to no beer for me.
Before you go teetoller (at least on pints), had a a good laugh from this article via Stickman.. hic :p

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Thai Beer But Were Too Drunk To Ask
By Tim Torkildson of TEFL INTERNATIONAL

Thais began enjoying the taste of real beer (or at least pretending to) in 1934, when Hans Von Piffle-Pilsner started the first brewery on a klong in Nonthaburi. Piffle-Pilsner was actually trying to manufacture liquid fertilizer from elephant dung, but the Thais took his product to be a European beverage instead. The name of that beer is lost in the mists of alcoholic memory, but since then the brewing of beer has become big business in Thailand, and today the tourist from Amsterdam or Sydney can savor a professionally brewed lager anywhere in Thailand. It comes in cans, bottles, kegs, and towers (but it always leaves the same way . . .)

Of course the Thais have been brewing rice beer in their remote villages for centuries. The recipe is simple; two parts water to one part rice, add a pound of sugar, let sit in the sun for ten days, and then drink. It takes only a pint of this stuff before you start seeing white elephants. After drinking a quart of this stuff you think you ARE a white elephant and head for the Royal Palace in Bangkok.

As an ESL teacher in Thailand, you will, of course, want to investigate the culture of the Thais, and since they guzzle a lot of beer, you should become familiar with the different national brands of the country. The following list was compiled by friends and colleagues of mine in the hopes of enlightening the teetotaler as well as the tosspot. Here’s m&d in your eye:

• Singha. This is a lager style beer, made from hops, barley, dishwater and a touch of Bristol cream. It should be served ice cold, with ham sandwiches and paid up life insurance policies. It comes in a brown bottle or white aluminum can, and those that drink it regularly say it tastes like Lady Gaga sings. The Singha company promotes a soccer team named The Blastonberry Blatherers in Bangkok, and their mascot is the Singha Lion, which entertains at half-time by telling long, pointless stories and offering to fight anyone who doesn’t like the color green. In past years the mascot has been played by mystery celebrities, like Kim Kardashian and Justin Beiber -- the mystery being how they got to be celebrities in the first place. This year (2012) the Singha Lion is being played by Margaret Thatcher.

• Chang. Old expats like to say that they used to put formaldehyde in Chang beer to keep it fresh, since ice, until recently, was a rare luxury. Whether you believe them or not, it is certainly easy to get embalmed with this brand of beer. It is made with hips, hops, hopes, and hoops, with distilled water, and filtered through layers of bougainvillea pollen. Each batch is taste tested by monkeys, who are thrown into the vat and allowed to swim freely for an hour. If none of them drown the batch is declared “Premium” and reserved for holidays. If only two or three monkeys die in the vat, the batch is labeled “What the Hell” and bottled quickly for sale throughout Thailand. It has a bouquet that reminds some people of a sunrise in Cleveland, Ohio.

• Leo. This brand is known around Thailand as “the breakfast beer”, for no other reason than that when poured over Rice Krispies it not only makes them go ‘snap, crackle and pop’ but also produces an ear-splitting Swiss yodel. Leo is unique among Thai beers because it does not use any hops; instead it gets a malty, yeasty flavor from roasted gravel. Leo beer is the official beer of the Thai Jute industry, which supplies 90% of all twine world-wide; their slogan is “Tie One On with Leo”. Recent studies indicate that Leo beer contains resins that help prevent osmosis of the sphincter. Some hospitals are now using Leo to disinfect their operating rooms, as well as unclogging drains. Leo has fewer calories than the other major Thai brands, mostly because it contains so much carbon dioxide that most bottles turn completely into foam when opened. To prevent this, beer aficionados will usually serve Leo at room temperature – they won’t drink it themselves, they’ll just serve it that way.

• Phuket (pronounced “puke it”). This is a new product from the Boombadeeboomdeeay Brewery. Using a secret formula that combines old style German brewing with the game of ‘tagraw’, the brewing company claims that Phuket beer is so smooth it can be fed to silk worms or wall geckos without harming them. It is also quite high in alcoholic content, so many auto drivers carry a six pack with them in case they run out of gas. This new brand has not caught on in the north or northeast of Thailand yet, but is very popular in Bangkok nightspots that cater to the ever-growing Tickle Me Elmo collectors expat community. Some people have called its taste ‘raw’, but most of those people are dead now anyways, so who cares?

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You - pen yang ngai baang? Must be very busy. Wasn't even sure you were in Pattaya so didn't call.
I didn't pick the place so I didn't know what to expect. Looked really nice and it didn't seem super expensive.
Around 200-300B per dish, and the total bill came up to maybe 2300B with 3-4 small jugs of Heineken (I didn't drink) for 4 people.
I liked the food too.

As usual, I went to Fung Pa Pow a couple of times too. The food there I like.
Yeah, give me fung pla pao anytime. Great food and nice nature settings. But beware. Dont go alone hor. Wait the manager sian u, then u know. But I suspect he is the real boss or major shareholder.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK, my 2 baht on local beers. All beers except Chang and Archa are 5%. Chang is still the no. 1 selling beer in Los. It's the blue collar 's drink. High alcohol content at 6.4%. The Russians favorite drink is also Chang and so do I.

Next is Leo beer. Most faring ferns prefer LEO over singha. next is Heineken. Strange, Singha is not really popular.

Overall, I prefer Chang but many high end joints dont serve Chang.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah, give me fung pla pao anytime. Great food and nice nature settings. But beware. Dont go alone hor. Wait the manager sian u, then u know. But I suspect he is the real boss or major shareholder.

How you doing bro? Baby on its way yet? Still living on the dark side? I was just at the dark side visiting a friend. Even there, got beer bar (apparently Pattaya #1 business) and fitness center (apparently Pattaya #2 business) :biggrin:

As you know, Fung Pla Pow just across the road from me so I go there pretty often. That guy(girl)'s always there - didn't know she was the boss but she always kids me "mao pepsi leaw mai?" because that's what I usually drink. I agree food good - anything also they have, khao niao they have and price is reasonable. No toilet paper in the bathroom though but good thing is nobody there to massage you as you pee.