• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sawasdee krup everybody.

Today is third day of Songkran but forth day of holiday which started on Thursday. As by yesterday afternoon about 1pm road accidents had caused 114 killed, 1,668 injured in 1,154 road accidents.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sawasdee krup everybody.

Today is third day of Songkran but forth day of holiday which started on Thursday. As by yesterday afternoon about 1pm road accidents had caused 114 killed, 1,668 injured in 1,154 road accidents.
Ouch......

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Just finished breakfast - khao neow (sticky rice) ; moo-dat-deow (freshly cooled pork jerky) ; soup-ma-keua (smashed-up small egg plant)

PhotoApr1583523AM.jpg

Alamaking I think you may like this soup-ma-keua since you like vegetables so much this is the closed-up
PhotoApr1583941AM.jpg

Of course we need to continue to down all this food with home brewed satho
PhotoApr1584353AM.jpg

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alamaking I think you may like this soup-ma-keua since you like vegetables so much this is the closed-up
PhotoApr1583941AM.jpg

Was just about to ask you whether it is eggplants when I read your description above, hahaha... Looks good. Satho is rice wine?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Was just about to ask you whether it is eggplants when I read your description above, hahaha... Looks good. Satho is rice wine?

Satho is rice wine yes. Undistilled rice wine. Seriously it tastes like Japanese sake. I love it. But if served a little chilled I love it and can get lost on the amount I drink and regret later.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
For those who like to know a little about Isaan life here are some pics

PhotoApr1583045AM.jpg

A very typical Isaan house bed rooms up stairs and maybe a small living room too. But below is empty and this is where a lot of time is spent here its like the real "living room" where people gather.

PhotoApr1583118AM.jpg

But this is more common now when owners have money they will do up the bottom to become a real living room and maybe have more bed rooms. This is the house I stay.

PhotoApr1583136AM.jpg

Most houses have a storage like this to store their rice harvest. Below is use for more storage or even animal enclosure like ducks

PhotoApr1583153AM.jpg

The typical kitchen

PhotoApr1583031AM.jpg

Small garden beside the house where the spices and herbs are grown here for cooking

PhotoApr1583102AM.jpg

Finally for those who have cows

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Joe, nice insight to up country living.:biggrin: Back to basics, and with 'heart' (as you probably tried to say last night with makan).

Hmm ..what's with pi chon this morning, fighting demons from last night's long island tea??:p

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Pii Chon licking his wounds now.

Leaving for airport now about an hour from here.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sawasdee krup everybody.

And you had better keep your eyes on the vehicles around you, at least during the next few days. Refrain from posting while driving.

The pics of your moo baan reminds me of Yasathon *sigh*

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ETLX-7liLWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who like to know a little about Isaan life here are some pics

A very typical Isaan house bed rooms up stairs and maybe a small living room too. But below is empty and this is where a lot of time is spent here its like the real "living room" where people gather.

Nice pics and captions. This house is typical of any older moo ban house be it central, north, Isaan etc.
Kampung houses in Malaysia and Indon also like that.

It is a tropical climate design pattern - houses built on stilts like that primarily for heat dissipation. Flood avoidance is secondary.

Newer houses, in the baan nok, don't look like that anymore. Concrete construction and no longer with an obvious bi-level. Instead, they have a smaller hidden crawl space (again for heat reasons).
In the north, you can see these new-type houses (probably in Isaan too) - funded usually by foreign cash.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously it tastes like Japanese sake. I love it. But if served a little chilled I love it and can get lost on the amount I drink and regret later.

Japanese sake, I'm sure you know, is served at varying temperatures, depending on the brewer's recommendation. Some at room temp, some chilled, some heated.

I've never had "satho" but I've had the northern version - sounds similar, very sweet and very drinkable. Mao very fast because you lose track of what you drank. Not like lao khao (rice liquor) which is harsher and sometimes comes with all sorts of strange additions (scorpion/snake/centipedes etc) floating in it.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sawasdee krup everybody.

Joe, nice insight to up country living.:biggrin: Back to basics, and with 'heart' (as you probably tried to say last night with makan).

Hmm ..what's with pi chon this morning, fighting demons from last night's long island tea??:p

Pii Chon licking his wounds now.

Leaving for airport now about an hour from here.

Hehehe. Yeah, still recovering from buat hua. Quite bad, ummm..drink until 4am at a local HFJ and Karaoke. Will have Cup Jok and then go ZZzz again.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nice pics and captions. This house is typical of any older moo ban house be it central, north, Isaan etc.
Kampung houses in Malaysia and Indon also like that.

It is a tropical climate design pattern - houses built on stilts like that primarily for heat dissipation. Flood avoidance is secondary.

Newer houses, in the baan nok, don't look like that anymore. Concrete construction and no longer with an obvious bi-level. Instead, they have a smaller hidden crawl space (again for heat reasons).
In the north, you can see these new-type houses (probably in Isaan too) - funded usually by foreign cash.
Think most want to build their house in wood if they can. The biggest problem is the price of timber. The good timber wood can cost 2-3 times more than a concrete house. It's very difficult to get good quality timber and that's why illegal timber is one big biz in LOS. For those who are not aware, you can suka suka transport timber from one province to another province.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japanese sake, I'm sure you know, is served at varying temperatures, depending on the brewer's recommendation. Some at room temp, some chilled, some heated.

I've never had "satho" but I've had the northern version - sounds similar, very sweet and very drinkable. Mao very fast because you lose track of what you drank. Not like lao khao (rice liquor) which is harsher and sometimes comes with all sorts of strange additions (scorpion/snake/centipedes etc) floating in it.
RTKS, I believe the strange additions version is call "Ya Don". You can see many of these outlets/kiosk in Sin City. Usually the customers are blue collar workers and occasionally, the Russians. Also, notice most will go with Red Bull or M150.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And you had better keep your eyes on the vehicles around you, at least during the next few days. Refrain from posting while driving.

The pics of your moo baan reminds me of Yasathon *sigh*
Think should be the pilot better keep his eyes on the cockpit. :biggrin:

Yeah, remind me of my project in Surin. Sigh!

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Casualties so far go well beyond 116 killed in same period last year

Some 144 people were killed on the first three days of the Songkran holiday with another 1,668 people injured in 1,554 road accidents from Wednesday to Friday.

The number of fatalities was well over the toll for the first three days last year, which was 116.

Phichit had the most deaths at eight persons, while Nakhon Si Thammarat had the most injuries at 85 persons, as well as the most accidents (80), the Road Safety Centre announced yesterday.

Pol Lt-General Borihan Siang-arom, the assistant National Police chief, told a press conference yesterday that only four provinces - Chaiyaphum, Yasothon, Nong Khai and Nong Bua Lamphu - had no road accidents.

On Friday, 56 people were killed and 778 others injured in 730 road accidents, he said. Most accidents resulted from drunk driving followed by speeding.

On Friday, police also arrested 196 drunk drivers aged under 20. Police would investigate these and trace the sellers of alcohol to punish them too, he added.

Drunk driving continued to be the number one cause of accidents at 41 per cent on Friday (or 38 per cent for the period from April 11-13) followed by speeding at 20 per cent. Most accidents involved motorcycles at 83 per cent and took place on a straight stretch of road (63 per cent). About 31 per cent of accident victims were youths under 20 while working-aged people (20-49 years old) accounted for 56 per cent.

Some 761,102 vehicles were stopped at 2,400 checkpoints and 108,459 traffic law violators arrested. Most were bikers who failed to wear helmets or people who failed to present a driver’s licence.

Meanwhile, an Abac Poll of 2,144 people over 18 in 17 provinces including Bangkok from April 1-13, found most of those interviewed - 78 per cent - had witnessed road accidents during the previous Songkran. They cited the cause of accidents as: speeding and reckless driving or riding at 98 per cent; a lack of police to enforce traffic laws (96 per cent); drunk driving (94 per cent); water splashing while a vehicle was moving (86 per cent) and motorists' violating traffic laws (74 per cent).

Close to 88 per cent of those interviewed urged stronger laws to punish wrongdoers, followed by stricter law-enforcement at 86 per cent, while 72 per cent said police should use speed-detecting technology and arrest offenders without discrimination.

The poll also interviewed 215 police, most of whom (88.5 per cent), cited drunk driving as the problem they mostly found. This was followed by motorists who broke the law and boasted of higher authority and influence so police had to release them (61 per cent), and a lack of support from their supervisors (59 per cent).

Respondents also suggested a campaign to get all vehicles to turn on their headlights when visibility is dim and for police to use technology and severe fines for all law-violating motorists without discrimination.

In related news, a total of 4,184 homeowners joined the police's "Leaving Houses under police's care" project from April 8-17, said deputy police chief General Pongsapat Pongcharoen. Bangkok had some 1,930 homeowners participating with Chockchai precinct having the most participants (87 houses).

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
KYP, thanks for the news.

I would like to add something. One of the most dangerous thing during Songkran is when riding a bike and entering into a water-gun zone. Strangers, usually tourists will fire their water guns and motorcyclist. Last night, I kena twice and almost lose balance of my bike when I tried to 'siam' the 'friendly water'.