• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
tks for info, ROTI. Actually, I juz want to stay long term in that area.(retire)

long term stay => retire => runroad (like many of us) . . . . wahahahaha

ok sorry jokes aside, Chonburifc had given us many good information and options on how to stay here long term, you may wish to PM him.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in Shanghai is to go to this Hunan restaurant.
KYP, you can check out this popular Lost Heaven Hunanese restaurant (with Burmese influence). Popular with "with it" and corporate crowd. Food was lost on me, but I especially liked the alfresco bar (good for pre dinner cocktails, or finger food/snappes) overlooking sights. Did this 2X, last Oct and year before in Shanghai on working trip

http://www.lostheaven.com.cn/outlets-restaurant.aspx?type=restaurant-bund

http://www.lostheaven.com.cn/location-top.aspx?type=location-bund&subactiveid=2

And we had to make commute from our (boring) Pudong hotel. Did the local KTV joint, omg .. 100+ rooms, got lost after taking a leak even.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you want to find out about another ethnic minority that's not hilltribe - then read up on the Tai Yai - or in English: Shan.

They come from Kyaingtong or Chiang Tung or Keng Tung in Burma, which is 3-4 hours drive from Tachilek, the border town opposite Mae Sai. Today, a large number of them live in Mae Sai - to the chagrin of the Thais who are slowly being pushed out.

Most of them are in Mae Sai on special visas that restrict them to living in Amphur Mae Sai only. They have a special "Mae Sai only" ID card and are not Thai citizens.

Wasn't there some type of war between the prc and burmese shan? That's all i know about the tai yai or shan.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good question. I don't know for sure but if I were to guess, border areas are like that everywhere. Fluid. Mae Sai has always had people from across the border: Myamarese, Chinese traders from Yunan etc

The Tai Yai don't stick out like a sore thumb - they speak Thai (because all TV in Keng Tung is Thai TV) from young and look Thai (they are the same stock as Thais). In Mae Sai, there are Myanmarese Nuea Thais as well that were separated when the borders were drawn.

Yes they are the same stock. They are grouped under the tai (not thai) ppls and there's also an ethnic minority in china called the dai

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_peoples

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dai_people

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, this is your Little Dragon Bun shop. Look at the queue, goodness !

ywd2p.jpg

My colleague is a 東亞病夫....had a relapse just before we entered the Exhibition Hall. I wanted to play safe and now we're back in hotel to get him some rest. It's sickness known as 自律性神經失調. I don't know the English name. Symptoms include breathlessness, numbness of the limbs, dizziness etc.

On the way back saw a nice chio bu in the train who looks 80% like this HK actress:

GetAttachment.asp

We didn't make it to the Little Dragon Bun because of the queue. Instead we went to the opposite restaurant, and he must have consumed something very salty that caused the discomfort. Had him drink lots of water to drain away the salt. That fellow is a high cholesterol guy.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Just bought 7 flower shirts from this very tight Hazard lady in Central Ranintra. For Songkran obviously.

0c05ce31.jpg

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
hey joe...if can speak english only...can survive or not? Some guys can speak teochew to assist communication but i cant.

long term stay => retire => runroad (like many of us) . . . . wahahahaha

ok sorry jokes aside, Chonburifc had given us many good information and options on how to stay here long term, you may wish to PM him.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

ywd2p.jpg

My colleague is a 東亞病夫....had a relapse just before we entered the Exhibition Hall. I wanted to play safe and now we're back in hotel to get him some rest. It's sickness known as 自律性神經失調. I don't know the English name. Symptoms include breathlessness, numbness of the limbs, dizziness etc.

On the way back saw a nice chio bu in the train who looks 80% like this HK actress:

GetAttachment.asp

We didn't make it to the Little Dragon Bun because of the queue. Instead we went to the opposite restaurant, and he must have consumed something very salty that caused the discomfort. Had him drink lots of water to drain away the salt. That fellow is a high cholesterol guy.

I believe your colleague has depression.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe your colleague has depression.

Bro, no signs of depression. In fact, quite a jovial chap.

But bringing him around, especially after a previous scare in Taipei when he was admitted by ambulance to National Taiwan University Hospital, is like carrying a time bomb with you whenever you travel.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
hey joe...if can speak english only...can survive or not? Some guys can speak teochew to assist communication but i cant.

Cannot survive la brother if only can speak ingreesh. However if you have a good lady friend all you need is teach her then she can be your translator. The short cut will be take over mind as I am thinking of changing.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bro, no signs of depression. In fact, quite a jovial chap.

But bringing him around, especially after a previous scare in Taipei when he was admitted by ambulance to National Taiwan University Hospital, is like carrying a time bomb with you whenever you travel.

Anyone can have depression and what you described seem to me like panic attack. If you google you can see bunch of things they say about this. Its nothing serious if seek attention. Most likely will be given Prozac (happy pill) for long term help. This is a common medication for mild depression and of course it helps for your friend to see a very good family doctor first and suggest this could be the problem and then get prescription. Depression is not like "siao lang" it happens to many people including myself and even my wife. Happens especially to people in business and under a lot of pressure or can even happen to people who are extremely free.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you're over 50 (I think), then the retiree visa is an option. You have to park xxx (look it up) baht in a fixed deposit or show a recurring monthly retirement income over a certain threshold.
Or be a "student". House prices have gone up quite a bit. I know someone who paid around neung lan baht (1 million) for a 2 bedroom house near the Lotus mall. Rental (khaa chao baan) is something like 2000-3000B per month.

IIRC, back in 2003, 5 rai was like 200,000 baht 15 minutes from Mae Sai.

Yes, age 50 on the date of application. Not one day earlier. And the amount required is THB800K and a letter from the bank is needed during application plus during every annual extension.

Student option is easier and faster way but there are limitation. As for 'konnections' or 'shortcuts', these are 'double edge swords', use them only as last resort.:smile:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone can have depression and what you described seem to me like panic attack. If you google you can see bunch of things they say about this. Its nothing serious if seek attention. Most likely will be given Prozac (happy pill) for long term help. This is a common medication for mild depression and of course it helps for your friend to see a very good family doctor first and suggest this could be the problem and then get prescription. Depression is not like "siao lang" it happens to many people including myself and even my wife. Happens especially to people in business and under a lot of pressure or can even happen to people who are extremely free.

Yes, it's panic attack. But is afternoon I'm quite sure it was brought upon by some salty dish, just like the previous occasion @ Taipei when he had Korean soup and complained that it was too salty.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tks for info, ROTI. Actually, I juz want to stay long term in that area.(retire)
melzp, FYI, even foreigners on retirement visa still need to do 90 day reporting OFFICIALLY with the nearest Immigration Bureau or designated police station.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.... Symptoms include breathlessness, numbness of the limbs, dizziness etc.

What's your colleague BP? Some people can get too Gan Jeong when in a crowded environment. Sometimes, old folk also kena and the usual remedy is to apply medicated oil.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cannot survive la brother if only can speak ingreesh. However if you have a good lady friend all you need is teach her then she can be your translator. The short cut will be take over mind as I am thinking of changing.
No England still can survive in LOS, or at least in Sin City. Many Russians, Koreans and PRC do not speak a word of England and Thai are long term residents in Sin City. Just that, speaking the local languages will make life easier.

Hehehe. Thanks for the 'I BA' and the mugs.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Car ride:

This one I know, this is the mosque you will see along the expressway from the airport to Rama 9 expressway. In fact, there are 2 mosque.

Added this, Turn left is Sri Nakarin and a little further, turn right to Bangkapi. Have not visited these place for 7-8 years liaoz. Is SEACON still the biggest shopping centre in BKK?

Last edited:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's your colleague BP? Some people can get too Gan Jeong when in a crowded environment. Sometimes, old folk also kena and the usual remedy is to apply medicated oil.

I asked him. He couldn't recall the exact figure. But he told me the last time he had it measured was about 2 months' ago, and it was normal according to the doctor. But you're right that he gets pretty apprehensive when in a crowded, especially a new environment very foreign to him.