• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A good pen (except Mont Blanc)

Dogsquare

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indonesian stil use Hero pen, u can easily buy one there but not in Singapore

Last edited:

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
BIC pen ? That was probably the first ball-point pen ever to advert on TV !

Anyway, I now only use pens from hotels I stayed in. Always a surprise what you may get.

Best part is FOC and new ones has some wax at the writing tip to ensure ink will not leak/dred up. Some are really very good for writing though.

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
similiar or step above mont blanc,,,, try montegrappa,,,, well balanced pen,,,,

Omas is a good brand too,,,,,

S.T Dupont Olympia series or Cartier Trinity both would be very nice

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
similiar or step above mont blanc,,,, try montegrappa,,,, well balanced pen,,,,

Omas is a good brand too,,,,,

S.T Dupont Olympia series or Cartier Trinity both would be very nice

The fact that I left Mont Blanc out means anything above Mont Blanc is beyond my humble means. I'm someone who wears good Citizen or Seiko; you're recommending to me the equivalents of Breguet or Patek Philippe.

I want something that looks like a serious writing instrument, not just another fashion spin-off. Not that those fashion pens are no good, but I simply don't have the stature to carry it.

Even for cars, I'm only looking at Nissan Tiida (5-door) or Suzuki Swift despite they're very cheap in Taiwan, where any Singaporean can easily afford a BMW 120d for less than the price of a Toyota Vios in Singapore.

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
if thats the case,,,, pelikan good writing pen,,,,,,,,,, preferably a rollerball... faber castell should be ok,,,,

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have noticed that many brands - Mont Blanc, Pelican, Faber Castell - are made in Germany. Parker ? Germany too ? The names sounds very American to me.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The fact that I left Mont Blanc out means anything above Mont Blanc is beyond my humble means. I'm someone who wears good Citizen or Seiko; you're recommending to me the equivalents of Breguet or Patek Philippe.

One advantage with Mont Blanc is that they have alot of outlets in Spore which can do servicing. My Mont Blanc pen had a problem with the open/close mechanism.

Yes you do sometimes get problems with a simple pen. :smile:

They fixed the problem for $80 & I eventually lost that pen :(.

Nowadays I don't wear a watch or carry a pen. When I do carry a pen it will be a souvenirs pen I picked up from various hotels :smile: I try to avoid those hotels which only provide pencils:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No, it's not for showing off. It must be an authentic writing instrument (not just another fashion spin-off), at the same time respectable.

The pen that was 'stolen' by the Thai custom was a Pelican.

Why I recommended square-tip to you is because your Thai handwriting would turn out classically beautiful with it.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I type Thai scripts lah. Nowadays still got people write meh ?

BTW, what is the brand ? Lamy ?

I've always used Parker, but not the high-end type, just the low-end type about S$20 for ballpoint and S$50 for fountain. Anyway, I haven't used fountain pen for years. I left my last one in Thailand as souvenir for my ex-girlfriend, for memories of those days she taught me how to write Thai.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've always used Parker, but not the high-end type, just the low-end type about S$20 for ballpoint and S$50 for fountain. Anyway, I haven't used fountain pen for years. I left my last one in Thailand as souvenir for my ex-girlfriend, for memories of those days she taught me how to write Thai.

I think Parker is a very good product. Just that they've stopped throwing bucks on marketing their products.

jw5

Loyal
I think Parker is a very good product. Just that they've stopped throwing bucks on marketing their products.
They don't need to because people will still buy it.
Parker ballpoint is a good choice, writes well, looks good, refills are easy to get and last quite long too.
It's really a hassle to use fountain pens these days, always have to worry about ink refills and ink getting on your clothes and hands.

jw5

Loyal
BIC pen ? That was probably the first ball-point pen ever to advert on TV !

Anyway, I now only use pens from hotels I stayed in. Always a surprise what you may get.

Best part is FOC and new ones has some wax at the writing tip to ensure ink will not leak/dred up. Some are really very good for writing though.
I do that too, hehehe, and some of the pens provided are of very good quality, even in 4star hotels.
Unfortunately, some hotels have wised up to people like us and are now providing pencils, and not even the mechanical type!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
It got to be so good that we used the pen as darts...

There was a time when my Dad gave me my first Parker. But because I wasnt there to test it, when he brought it home, I found it hard to use - scratchy, and had to position my hand awkwardly to write b4 the ink can flow properly. In the end, I tried to smoothen the tip by filing off the floor. Then it stopped working, that's when it came in useful for the dart board at home.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you tried Sheaffers? Or Cross?

I want something that looks like a serious writing instrument, not just another fashion spin-off. Not that those fashion pens are no good, but I simply don't have the stature to carry it.

Even for cars, I'm only looking at Nissan Tiida (5-door) or Suzuki Swift despite they're very cheap in Taiwan, where any Singaporean can easily afford a BMW 120d for less than the price of a Toyota Vios in Singapore.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It got to be so good that we used the pen as darts...

There was a time when my Dad gave me my first Parker. But because I wasnt there to test it, when he brought it home, I found it hard to use - scratchy, and had to position my hand awkwardly to write b4 the ink can flow properly. In the end, I tried to smoothen the tip by filing off the floor. Then it stopped working, that's when it came in useful for the dart board at home.

My time in Pr. Sch., there're only a few who owned fountain pens. We used them as venom-spitting snakes. Just aim it at the guy who offended you and give a hard short jerk. That guy's uniform is history. :biggrin:

But make sure that didn't have one too. Otherwise, it's an inky war! :eek:

It all stopped at Sec. Sch. Because of manuscript calligraphy lesson, all have it. It's either branded or not only.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
What abt Waterman? Too bourgeoisie for you?

Mont Blanc has some models in the lower price range.

Yes, when I was in Primary School.

Both brands don't look respectable. Cross tends to smudge, and it's too thin to provide a good grip. Sheaffers and Cross just couldn't convey that 'professional' image.