• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

40 apply to my restaurant in one day

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had two openings for waiter/kitchen helper and instead of the usual route of asking for referral from existing staff, I put a notice at the front window

40 people applied within one day. I asked them to fill out a simple one page sheet with contact and I will call them within a few days

Of the 40, 32 are foreigners and 8 locals.

- The youngest is 19 and the oldest 48.
- The highest education is polytechnic/da zhuan, lowest is zero education
- 28 are women, 12 men
- lowest expected salary $900 with lodging and food, highest expected $1,900!!! (lol)

- most honest answer on why they want job: i am unemployed now, i need whatever job to survive (from foreign applicant)
- most fairy tale answer: i believe that with singapore aiming to become major regional hotel and F&B hub, ground experience would stand me in good stead for a future managerial career in the booming hospitality sector (from local applicant)

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
- most fairy tale answer: i believe that with singapore aiming to become major regional hotel and F&B hub, ground experience would stand me in good stead for a future managerial career in the booming hospitality sector (from local applicant)

Local Indian? :p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I had two openings for waiter/kitchen helper and instead of the usual route of asking for referral from existing staff, I put a notice at the front window

40 people applied within one day. I asked them to fill out a simple one page sheet with contact and I will call them within a few days

Of the 40, 32 are foreigners and 8 locals.

- The youngest is 19 and the oldest 48.
- The highest education is polytechnic/da zhuan, lowest is zero education
- 28 are women, 12 men
- lowest expected salary $900 with lodging and food, highest expected $1,900!!! (lol)

- most honest answer on why they want job: i am unemployed now, i need whatever job to survive (from foreign applicant)

Do you have a:
(1)Minimum wage policy
(2)Fair & equitable benefits
(3)An employ, "Singaporean first"
(4)Old is GOld
(5)No age discrimination
(6)No sex discrimination
(7)No race discrimination

Can I apply?:biggrin:

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
retrench.jpg

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
So, do you employ the one with the honest answer? Or, do you go for Sian Tao (American Bullshit)?

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you have a:
(1)Minimum wage policy
(2)Fair & equitable benefits
(3)An employ, "Singaporean first"
(4)Old is GOld
(5)No age discrimination
(6)No sex discrimination
(7)No race discrimination

Job will go to the most willing (ie ask for the lowest pay)

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
so many damn foreigners in singapore ! 32 of them ! if these 32 hadnt applied, then u wld say 'i advertised & only 8 (locals) responded, its so hard to find good help these days *sad* ...

i know that even in times of recession, its still hard to find local staff, bcos my current workplace only hires locals (no foreigners pls) & we're always shorthanded ...

when u goto library, u see foreigners chope straitstimes ... then scan the ads, & picking up their cellphone they start to call the ads one by one ... in a loud foreign accent, they start to enquire abt the jobs disregarding silence in the library ... irritating to the core ! :biggrin:

where the hell these ppl come from ? are they on social visit pass ? their own country got no job meh ? thats why our streets appear so crowded ... irritating to the core ... :mad:

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

how come here got so many from the F&B industry?

like ERROR088?? a food court owner? :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
so many damn foreigners in singapore ! 32 of them ! if these 32 hadnt applied, then u wld say 'i advertised & only 8 (locals) responded, its so hard to find good help these days *sad* ...

i know that even in times of recession, its still hard to find local staff, bcos my current workplace only hires locals (no foreigners pls) & we're always shorthanded ...

when u goto library, u see foreigners chope straitstimes ... then scan the ads, & picking up their cellphone they start to call the ads one by one ... in a loud foreign accent, they start to enquire abt the jobs disregarding silence in the library ... irritating to the core ! :biggrin:

where the hell these ppl come from ? are they on social visit pass ? their own country got no job meh ? thats why our streets appear so crowded ... irritating to the core ... :mad:

Why don't you tell them to go outside to make their phone call? And of course to leave the newspaper behind?

Angelo

Alfrescian
Loyal
hes running a soup kitchen. even with PRCs it'll hard to sustain his operating cost. The rental will kill him b4 the end of this quarter.

sigh.

how come there are so many low grade kitchen operators-self styled 'business-men' nowadays.

etherc

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you employ the desperate for any job foreigner yes you get to work them like horses,they take punishment and are cheaper. Many of these people however could just be functional fillers. However if you hire a local with a bit of education & ambition, he/she would have most likely grown up clubbing and know something about beer and liquor. Wouldn't you be able to upgrade your waiter into something closer to a sommelier instead of an ordinary server? Besides that having a local as an employee they are usually rather familiar with dialects and tend to be bilingual. Communication is less of an issue. If properly trained, the local can be the person who ropes in more customers by way of value added services and person networking. Explore the potential of elevating your business to the next level or maintain the status quo and the bottom line? One problem is most employers are just everyman as well, unable to see beyond the porch. Honesty is bullshit. If the foreigner fails to understand well what the customer is ordering and makes it a hassle, no amount of honesty will keep you from losing future business opportunities. An employee better with words however can defuse an awkward situation with a joke for example. Just my humble opinion.

troubledtimes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Theres a good reason why sg can never take it to the next level, employers know nuts abt adding value to their business!!!

Abt the sommelier comment, it no secret in france, any chap pa lang waiter needs to go thru at least 3 levels of interview, testing his attitude, aplitude and ability to match wine and food together. You make your money in the f f n b industry by selling alcohol, not the food. N ppl pay money to eat in a restaurant for is service and staff, if the service is good ppl will identify with the waiter nd the restaurant as an establishment, not just an air conditioned place with some food to eat!

Ah well, courses for horses as they say (no pun intended)

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Theres a good reason why sg can never take it to the next level, employers know nuts abt adding value to their business!!!

Abt the sommelier comment, it no secret in france, any chap pa lang waiter needs to go thru at least 3 levels of interview, testing his attitude, aplitude and ability to match wine and food together. You make your money in the f f n b industry by selling alcohol, not the food. N ppl pay money to eat in a restaurant for is service and staff, if the service is good ppl will identify with the waiter nd the restaurant as an establishment, not just an air conditioned place with some food to eat!

Ah well, courses for horses as they say (no pun intended)

How can you compare a first world high quality individual such as those in France to some sinkie 3rd world in quality. The way sinkie treat others is terrible.

France thinks about serving, sinkies only think about themselves.

DearestGodlikeWarlord

Alfrescian
Loyal

So which answer made you wet? The hard honest one or the soft imaginary one?