• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

40 apply to my restaurant in one day

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finished phone interview all of them, except two who could not be reached and two who changed their mind.

Narrowed down to eight. Seven foreigners and one local. Tomorrow and Wednesday will see all of them.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
wah piang, no wonder we are becoming a nation of weaklings over run by foreigners
when even we dun support our own...:(:(:(:(

Try running a business and you'll soon realise that "supporting your own" isn't a factor when it comes to hiring.

Hiring is all about finding an employee who offers the best value for money and very few sinkies provide any value whatsoever at ANY PRICE! They're too spoilt, too lazy, too fussy and are least able to handle hardship when things get tough. They've been mollycoddled by their mothers and their govt for far too long. This guy is a typical example of the sort of wussies the country produces. Imagine taking ones own life over a filthy PRC slut!:eek: It boggles the mind!:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
After face to face interviews a woman from Shandong won hands down. She has relevant F&B experience and had deep knowledge about Chinese cuisine. I walked her through the kitchen and she even demo to me her ability to handle various implements. I was very impressed how skilfully she handled the knife when deboned and fillet the fish. Even my tao chiu respect. She has basic grasp of English.

She will fly back to China for Chinese New Year on Friday but the job will be waiting for her when she returns two weeks later. I am very lucky to get this good catch. I have a Chinese guy on standby if I need extra help - from Jilin, quite a big muscular guy and good for heavy work.

The others were all okay but too bad, only one vacancy perhaps two. Food business is still going strong despite economicdownturn becuase people still need to eat. And my restaurant is low to middle priced, not high end, so volume should hold.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
After face to face interviews a woman from Shandong won hands down.

Well done! An excellent choice. I was worried you'd select one of those "empty vessels make the most noise" sinkies who talk through their ass and who think they are God's gift to all employers. :p

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
After face to face interviews a woman from Shandong won hands down. She has relevant F&B experience and had deep knowledge about Chinese cuisine. I walked her through the kitchen and she even demo to me her ability to handle various implements. I was very impressed how skilfully she handled the knife when deboned and fillet the fish. Even my tao chiu respect. She has basic grasp of English.
Thanks for sharing. I kept watch of this thread from the beginning. Good to give others an understanding of the challenges that you face and the context that you have to make decisions in. Very methodical.

Also goes to show that skills do play a part.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Also goes to show that skills do play a part.

Many sinkies still don't get it. They have this impression that FT are hired because they're cheaper and nothing else.

Years of brainwashing have lead them to believe that they actually are better at doing a job compared to any dumb foreigner from an "inferior" country and they can't understand why nobody wants to hire them.

The fact of the matter is that many FT are cheaper AND BETTER than most locals. If it wasn't for their presence, Singapore would be in far worse shape than it is today. :rolleyes:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Many sinkies still don't get it. They have this impression that FT are hired because they're cheaper and nothing else.

Years of brainwashing have lead them to believe that they actually are better at doing a job compared to any dumb foreigner from an "inferior" country and they can't understand why nobody wants to hire them.

The fact of the matter is that many FT are cheaper AND BETTER than most locals. If it wasn't for their presence, Singapore would be in far worse shape than it is today. :rolleyes:

So we must Thank the PAP for that lah...

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

She will fly back to China for Chinese New Year on Friday but the job will be waiting for her when she returns two weeks later. I am very lucky to get this good catch. I have a Chinese guy on standby if I need extra help - from Jilin, quite a big muscular guy and good for heavy work.

The others were all okay but too bad, only one vacancy perhaps two. Food business is still going strong despite economicdownturn becuase people still need to eat. And my restaurant is low to middle priced, not high end, so volume should hold.

Care to tell us how much you pay her?

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Congrats. Are you paying her market rate wages?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am curious to know who ask for the $1900 pay as he mentioned before, i wonder is it a local sinkie.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, its a common perception. I am looking for such cases to see the balance. I am also aware that rentals are a major concern and if you can't nip that, then cheaper staff are the way to go to survive.

Overall the FT policy can only work if Singaporeans are gainfully employed and not displaced for the wrong reasons.

Hopefully other employers can share their views so a better picture can be created.