• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

3 Key Political Outcomes from this By elections.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, you are right. Beside SDP, there is enough room for another party except that the 4th party does not have a name yet.

May I humbly suggest "Golden Dawn"? This party is more likely to gain inroads to parliament than the liberal minded intellectuals in SDP for the simple reason that an anti-immigration party would have broad appeal to voter interests given today's circumstances, unlike the bold and noble aspirations of the SDP which is viewed with contempt by the lower classes.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
May I humbly suggest "Golden Dawn"? This party is more likely to gain inroads to parliament than the liberal minded intellectuals in SDP for the simple reason that an anti-immigration party would have broad appeal to voter interests given today's circumstances, unlike the bold and noble aspirations of the SDP which is viewed with contempt by the lower classes.

SDP in its current make-up will not get back into Parliament.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP in its current make-up will not get back into Parliament.

Like I said, people with nothing to lose can only benefit from the groundswell and deep resentment if they play their cards well and do not mind an albatross hanging from their necks in their professional endeavors. That is why only men of leisure or vagabonds should attempt this. The political landscape could be so much more colourful! I am not ashamed to say I would vote for such a party.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like I said, people with nothing to lose can only benefit from the groundswell and deep resentment if they play their cards well and do not mind an albatross hanging from their necks in their professional endeavors. That is why only men of leisure or vagabonds should attempt this. The political landscape could be so much more colourful! I am not ashamed to say I would vote for such a party.

Well, Singapore is not a bohemian paradise. One by-election win for a non-ruling party and people think that Heaven & Earth have moved. Really this is far too much excitement. Hope that the rest of the year passes by quietly.

alternativemediarocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
They can set-up anything but who will do the grunge work?

yes. finding good people is always a real problem isn't it . I suppose it is not much of a issue since there is still a good 3 years til 2016. manpower ( grunge work ) can come from volunteers ( look at Ang's FB ) , children of friends, even interparty , ie Nicole Seah, younger blood.
Ah but to each his own. I agree. It is too much work.

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
scroobal, you are obviously very well-connected, knowledgeable and intelligent. But you let your bias cloud your analysis.

"Outcome 2. The door is now wide open for a third political party"

Why should there be space for a significant third party?

Just because people like you aren't very happy with WP and WANT a third party, there should be space for a third party?

Many people here want to see an opposition party which is more confrontational and vocal. But this may not be what most Singaporeans want.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To answer scroobal's questions well it isn't just based on the individuals alone but on the parties that they represent. One's scholastic qualifications don't matter in other fields. In a political environment it's based on a popularity contest and having an intimate knowledge of the human colorectal anatomy doesn't put you above another candidate. This is pretty obvious. One should not follow the PAP benchmarks in selecting candidates which is based on elitism and mostly scholastic achievements.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
scroobal, you are obviously very well-connected, knowledgeable and intelligent. But you let your bias cloud your analysis.

Don't confuse "there is space for a significant third party" with "there should be a significant third party".
Don't confuse "there is space for a significant third party" with "there should be a more confrontational third party".
Don't confuse "there is space for a significant third party" with "I want a more confrontational third party".

"There is space for a significant third party" is virtually the same as "a third party has the potential to be voted into parliament". And that is up to the will of the people, not pundits like you or me. Can the Worker's Party contest all the seats in the next GE? No? Then let there be a third party. It's that simple.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't confuse "there is space for a significant third party" with "there should be a significant third party".
Don't confuse "there is space for a significant third party" with "there should be a more confrontational third party".
Don't confuse "there is space for a significant third party" with "I want a more confrontational third party".

"There is space for a significant third party" is virtually the same as "a third party has the potential to be voted into parliament". And that is up to the will of the people, not pundits like you or me. Can the Worker's Party contest all the seats in the next GE? No? Then let there be a third party. It's that simple.

in short to summarize it's all down to speculation and no one can predict the future.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To answer scroobal's questions well it isn't just based on the individuals alone but on the parties that they represent. One's scholastic qualifications don't matter in other fields. In a political environment it's based on a popularity contest and having an intimate knowledge of the human colorectal anatomy doesn't put you above another candidate. This is pretty obvious. One should not follow the PAP benchmarks in selecting candidates which is based on elitism and mostly scholastic achievements.

In fact I even venture to say that you need not be a PhD in finance to be a Finance Minister or a Masters in Biz Management to be Minister of Manpower or Trade, as long as you have good sense in these areas. Even in the USA, the most academically qualified guy in economics is in fact the Chairman of FOMC who is outside the cabinet. The cabinet has the civil service or even consultants to help them in detailed analyses and policy development. So I agree, the criteria of selecting candidates should not be based on scholastic achievements but rather on the enthusiasm, passion, political instinct and charisma of the candidate. Anyway, a PhD is only an expert in a very narrow field, otherwise not much different from any other scholar.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, don't get me wrong. WP is first class but we need depth in opposition and we also need to attract good quality candidates that can do things that WP may not be inclined to do. In 1991 we had WP and SDP under Chiam and it was great.

Just because people like you aren't very happy with WP and WANT a third party, there should be space for a third party?

Many people here want to see an opposition party which is more confrontational and vocal. But this may not be what most Singaporeans want.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
In fact I even venture to say that you need not be a PhD in finance to be a Finance Minister or a Masters in Biz Management to be Minister of Manpower or Trade, as long as you have good sense in these areas. Even in the USA, the most academically qualified guy in economics is in fact the Chairman of FOMC who is outside the cabinet. The cabinet has the civil service or even consultants to help them in detailed analyses and policy development. So I agree, the criteria of selecting candidates should not be based on scholastic achievements but rather on the enthusiasm, passion, political instinct and charisma of the candidate. Anyway, a PhD is only an expert in a very narrow field, otherwise not much different from any other scholar.

The equivalent of the Fed Chairman in Singapore is actually the boss of MAS -in other words Heng Swee Keat's old job.

You do not need a PhD in finance, but these days economics is so complex that there won't be a lot of people who can master all the details without a PhD. You need a very very good grounding in all the issues. I would say the reason why Tharman is well regarded is that he has the right grounding in Economics and he has learnt his stuff well. But even then, in the recent years, events have made a complete fool out of people who claim they know anything about economics. Anybody who says they understand economics is either exaggerating or stupid.

If you want enthusiasm and passion, one strong indicator is to have done a PhD in that subject. (Not some other irrelevant field of study, ie a medical doctor - what the fuck doees that have to do with anything). It is not necessary to have a PhD but it helps tremendously.

I have some personal experience in doing policy analysis. If the middle management is knowledgeable but the boss is a fool, then the system doesn't work either. That's why I don't believe "as long as the civil service is competent we're all right".

Last edited:

alternativemediarocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
I totally agree.The middle management or what I crudely call the machinery is basically alright. It is the drivers at the helm who seems clueless as to where to go?The paradigm and idea mill was long screwed.
And lets face it . It seems to be a certain family at the helm, the rest of them are just parts of the machinery,Things have been accelerating at a crazy pace after the PE By-elections. Now there is a crazy kamikaze style dash to get approval for a population white paper.
What this does is simply force the hand of the electorate. In Singapore , traditionally One family makes the decision, the machinery executes it. the mass are traditionally deemed too stupid to think for itself.
In any case in the next election, the effects will be unmask-able. As unhappiness on infrastructure inadequacies and such will increase. IN any case, it may be what the old man foresaw anyway, several parties in parliament, and they will be intelligent , qualified politicians. However he may be gaming to still hold the driver's seat?In any case some other party holds the driver seat. There were be difficulties in taking over the machinery. There will be poison pills planted.
Of course, taking reference from the Ajunied TC saga, the poison pills and self destruction button when the incumbent loses power may already be planted and very deep within the organizations.
Which leaves any new challengers with less savory methods to solve the problem. Jailing and freezing bank accounts and passports of revolting goons. It is not whether the challengers have a choice. They may have to prepare to build an infrastructure very quickly as a back-up plan. Of course there is no excuse to keep an incumbent in power due to self destruction buttons within the machinery.

The equivalent of the Fed Chairman in Singapore is actually the boss of MAS -in other words Heng Swee Keat's old job.

You do not need a PhD in finance, but these days economics is so complex that there won't be a lot of people who can master all the details without a PhD. You need a very very good grounding in all the issues. I would say the reason why Tharman is well regarded is that he has the right grounding in Economics and he has learnt his stuff well. But even then, in the recent years, events have made a complete fool out of people who claim they know anything about economics. Anybody who says they understand economics is either exaggerating or stupid.

If you want enthusiasm and passion, one strong indicator is to have done a PhD in that subject. (Not some other irrelevant field of study, ie a medical doctor - what the fuck doees that have to do with anything). It is not necessary to have a PhD but it helps tremendously.

I have some personal experience in doing policy analysis. If the middle management is knowledgeable but the boss is a fool, then the system doesn't work either. That's why I don't believe "as long as the civil service is competent we're all right".

Last edited:

alternativemediarocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, don't get me wrong. WP is first class but we need depth in opposition and we also need to attract good quality candidates that can do things that WP may not be inclined to do. In 1991 we had WP and SDP under Chiam and it was great.

I tend to agree there tends to be an open space for a 3rd world class political party to enter the fray. The CEC or Ex-CEC of the SDP has some amazing personas whom have worked in the various ministries. with the accelerated pace things are happening. It may be crucial that this abled talents are tapped before it is too late. I would tend to regard lame excuses as who is going to do the backbreaking work etc as lame excuses. IN 1960s , what did Singapore have? a complete team of civil services , civil servants and a nice little completed windmill? bullshit.A few clueless dudes just got lucky thats about it.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Things can start moving only when a reasonable number of MPs form part of the opposition ranks.
18-20 WP MPs would be what is required. Of course others will say that there should be space for SDP.
But what we want is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether voters in large numbers are prepared to vote in the SDP on its own. hahaha

alternativemediarocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
Things can start moving only when a reasonable number of MPs form part of the opposition ranks.
18-20 WP MPs would be what is required. Of course others will say that therTe should be space for SDP.
But what we want is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether voters in large numbers are prepared to vote in the SDP on its own. hahaha

I wouldn't be surprised looking at the way the PAP is committing political suicide. The Punggol East By Elections results were a incredible 10% differential. Apparently the people have expressed their displeasure in voting .Where municipal issues mirror national issues , things can only inevitably get worse in time to come with the seven million people living on a pebble population policy.
I won't be surprise if SDP or a splinter party takes a SMC or even a GRC in the next election. Heck the way things are pushed.Even RP can take Little India in GE2016.

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is like this:

I agree with metalmickey, civil service is ok, the mgt is fucked up.

I disagree with scroo, we have enuf political parties, we just need them to buck up and not go kamikaze and get sued

I have a grudging admiration for CSJ, anyone who saw the guy selling his book at raffles place and spoke to him will know he is a good guy, but he has been demonised. It is also not helpful that he takes some stupid decisions, I hope he stands aside, diam diam for a while and let VW run the show.

The pappies, I believe are in panic mode, are like headless chicken, all salah. They dont seem to know what they are doing. that population crap I hope is the one that knocks the wind out of them. I hope they get voted off, this cuntry needs to be cleansed, have a bunga mandi to be rid of them.

I hope harry is still alive in 2016 and his beloved tanjong pagar sees some solid competition, I would not want old man to die without tasting some form of lose.

now everyone stop cluster fucking and go pcc or sex ur wives. :oIo:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hope harry is still alive in 2016 and his beloved tanjong pagar sees some solid competition, I would not want old man to die without tasting some form of lose.

Me too. Before he goes, best for him to taste defeat. That way, he will be known as the 'father' of S'pore who lost his last GE. But, Tg Pagar voters got balls or not? Can they emulate their citizens over at Aljunied, HG and PE? I would live to see the face of LKY when his defeat is announced for all to digest.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am expecting PAP to be sacked by us on 2016,now it looks it is impossible,PAP must go now,down with fucking PAP's stupid needs to have 8 million sardin fishes in this little island,their red dot,if they do not go,then we have to go,looks like PAP refuses to give an alternative.
Down with PAP,Sack PAP!!!!!!!
人民行动党走(路)!打倒人民行动党!!!!!!!
sack PAP now,down with PAP
sako PAP ngayon, pababa ang PAP
PAP கீழே இப்போது வேலையிலிருந்து PAP,
PAP กระสอบตอนนี้ลงด้วย PAP
بوری پیپ سے پیپ، نیچے
કોથળો હવે પાપ નીચે પાપ,
karung PAP sekarang, turun dengan PAP

Last edited: