• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pearson: Owners want me in charge

837762_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Feb 11, 2015 07:20:00

The Leicester boss claims his employers believe he is the right man to keep the Foxes in the top flight, despite his side sitting five points from safety with 13 games remaining

Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson insists the club's owners want him to remain at the helm despite their struggles in the Premier League.

Pearson's men suffered a 2-1 defeat to Arsenal on Tuesday, leaving them five points from safety with 13 league matches remaining and the club denied reports that he had been sacked following a touchline incident involving James McArthur in his team's loss to Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Despite the problems, particularly on the field, Pearson believes the owners want to keep him in charge.

"They don't want to get rid of me. I'm here," he told a media conference.

"I had lunch with the owners today and sat behind them in the first half, there we are."

Pearson avoided an FA charge for the incident involving McArthur, who he appeared to choke on the sideline.

Asked he would have handled the situation differently, Pearson said no – and revealed he had spoken to the Palace midfielder.

"It was jovial, things happen quickly in games. I was scythed down, we had a little bit of banter," Pearson said.

"I actually spoke to him last night - he texted me. I was composing a text back and then I thought I'll ring him. I apologised.

"It was a friendly chat and I think the lad comes out of with a lot of credit in terms of diffusing the situation.

"I suppose what it does do is further illustrate the scrutiny, the number of camera angles, you probably wouldn't get that in the divisions below."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Newcastle's De Jong suffers collapsed lung

932912_heroa.jpg

By Sam Williams
Feb 11, 2015 00:18:00

The Dutch striker has had yet another setback to his Magpies career as he has been sidelined for another two months after surgery for a recurring injury from 2013

Injury-plagued Newcastle United forward Siem de Jong is set for another two months on the sidelines after undergoing surgery on a collapsed lung.

Former Ajax captain De Jong has made just two Premier League appearances for Newcastle since arriving at St James' Park last July.

The 26-year-old has not played since August due to a persistent thigh injury, and his frustrating season has now taken another turn for the worse, with Newcastle announcing on Tuesday that he will miss another eight weeks with a collapsed lung - an issue he also suffered with in 2013.

"After four months of hard work getting back to full fitness it is such bad luck to suffer another setback," De Jong told Newcastle's official website.

"We are all hopeful that the surgery I will have this week will ensure I don't have any repeat of the condition in the future.

"It's very sad for me personally, especially since I was almost back in contention and feeling great. I'm sorry for my team-mates, the club and our fans that I'm not able to help the team for a little while longer.

"I am determined to come back stronger as soon as possible. Thank you to everyone for your support."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man City must win every game to catch Chelsea - Hughes

922172_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Feb 11, 2015 09:30:00

Manuel Pellegrini's side find themselves seven points behind the leaders before taking on the Potters on Wednesday and their former manager believes he could end their hopes

Manchester City need to win all of their remaining games if they are to beat Chelsea to the Premier League title, warns Stoke City boss Mark Hughes.

Manuel Pellegrini's side are seven points behind the leaders with 14 league games remaining, having played out a 1-1 draw with Jose Mourinho's men on January 31.

Their next test is a trip to Stoke on Wednesday and Hughes, who used to manage his opponents, believes that the Potters could end the visitors' title chances.

"City will probably need to win every game they have left to beat Chelsea," he told the press.

"It's not beyond them. They will never think it's impossible because they will always keep going."

Hughes would love to do the double over City, having claimed a surprise win at the Etihad Stadium in August.

If City were to lose at Stoke and Chelsea to beat Everton, the gap at the top would increase to 10 points - an advantage which the Welshman believes may be too big to make up.

"You get to this stage of the season and start running out of games," he continued.

"A 10-point gap before Christmas doesn't worry teams. With 12 to 14 games left, it is more difficult. The more games chalked off, the greater the difficulty City will find."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger fears lengthy Ramsey lay-off

680572_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Feb 10, 2015 23:29:00

The Frenchman suspects that the Wales international midfielder has suffered another hamstring tear and could thus be facing a significant spell on the sidelines

Arsene Wenger has admitted that he does not know how long Aaron Ramsey will be out of action for, after the midfielder was forced off during Arsenal's 2-1 win over Leicester City on Tuesday.

The Welshman limped off the pitch after coming on as a second-half substitute - lasting just nine minutes - and his French coach later revealed that the initial diagnosis "does not look good".

"It looks like another hamstring for Aaron Ramsey," the Gunners boss told reporters. "I don’t know how bad it is. Visually, when a player sits down and comes straight off, it does not look good.

"It’s a recurrence now of a few muscular injuries and it’s difficult to find out why."

Wenger rejected assertions that Ramsey was being overplayed, however, despite the midfielder featuring in 25 games in all competitions in 2014-15, and insisted that he has remained cautious with the 24-year-old due to his previous injury problems.

"I wanted to be cautious with him," he added. "I put him on because we were lacking some offensive power but it was not the greatest decision.

"Last year it was his thigh, this year it’s recurrence of hamstrings. This is his third of the year. He’s not been overplayed, Ramsey. Since he had these problems, I’m a bit more cautious with him."

Arsenal's win over Leicester moved them back into the top four, level on points with third-placed Southampton.

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho blasts FA double standards

933992_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Scott
Feb 11, 2015 11:13:00

The Chelsea manager is frustrated to see rival boss Nigel Pearson go unpunished for a tangle with James McArthur as he hints that he is singled out for harsh treatment

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes he would be hit with a stadium ban if he were involved in the kind of touchline scrap that saw Nigel Pearson appear to choke James McArthur.

The Leicester City boss escaped punishment for a bizarre tangle with the Crystal Palace midfielder and subsequently clung onto his job despite reports of his sacking at the King Power Stadium following Saturday's game.

Mourinho is no stranger to a touchline scuffle and clashed with Arsenal counterpart Arsene Wenger at Stamford Bridge earlier this season.

The Blues manager has courted controversy for much of the season with repeated claims of a "campaign" against his side perpetuated by the Football Association. A fine of over €30,000 has seemingly done little to quell the Portuguese's frustration, however, as he once again took aim at the authorities when asked for his thoughts on Pearson's indiscretions.

"I have only thoughts about myself, not about Nigel," he told the press before referring to his spat with Wenger. "If I push a manager in my technical area, you know that I will be stadium-banned. We all know. Why? We don't know.

"You can't say we don't know why but I think we all know that, if I do something like that, I would be in serious, serious trouble."

Mourinho could be set for further punishment after suggesting that Robin van Persie should have been retrospectively punished for throwing an elbow at West Ham's James Tomkins on Sunday - an incident not deemed worthy of on-field action by referee Mark Clattenburg, or post-match by the FA.

Despite having already been hit in the pocket over his comments this term, the Chelsea boss suggested that he will not look to curb his outbursts when facing the media.

He explained: "I can be very defensive and say nothing or I can be myself and say what I feel and then there is a line where you never know the way the FA analyse it and they think you can or can't say that.

"Press conferences, especially after matches, are very, very difficult for us."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Even the clowns are laughing at Van Gaal - Van Hooijdonk

806052_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Feb 11, 2015 09:41:00

The former Celtic and Nottingham Forest striker says he cannot see the impact that the Dutch coach has made so far at Old Trafford

Former Netherlands international Pierre van Hooijdonk believes that Manchester United's performances have been "awful" and that Louis van Gaal is being laughed at because of the way the team is playing.

After Sam Allardyce accused United of playing long-ball football in Sunday's 1-1 draw at Upton Park, Van Gaal issued a staunch defence of his side's style of play.

But Van Hooijdonk says the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss is "unrecognisable", adding that "even the biggest clowns" are mocking the Dutchman’s methods.

"Louis looked like a suitable successor for David Moyes but, at the moment, he is disappointing," he told Voetbal International.

"To steer away from the results, the way they are playing is awful. I can't see the touch of Van Gaal; he is unrecognisable.

"It all started in the summer. You couldn't follow their transfer policy. It looks like United just bought some great names. The result is a team of top players without any unity.

"Even the biggest clowns are laughing about Van Gaal. During my spell at Nottingham Forest I've worked with them: Dave Bassett and Ron Atkinson. In England they're respected coaches, but I know they are just really bad actors, men that had no idea how to improve a team. These guys and [Sam] Allardyce as well."

United currently sit fifth in the Premier League but have the chance to move into third by beating Burnley at home on Wednesday evening.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Laudrup not considering QPR job

11 February 2015

787340header.jpg

QPR's search for a new manager remains ongoing, with former Swansea City boss Michael Laudrup distancing himself from the job.

Michael Laudrup has ruled himself out of the running to take the vacant managerial role at Premier League strugglers QPR.

The London club have been searching for a replacement for Harry Redknapp, who resigning earlier this month citing the need for knee surgery as the reason for his departure.

Former Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood was quickly installed as favourite to take over at Loftus Road, while caretaker manager Chris Ramsey - who worked with Sherwood at White Hart Lane - refused to rule himself out of the running.

Ex-Swansea manager Laudrup has also been touted with the role in recent days, as well as the vacant Japan coach's job, but the former Denmark international stated he is content with current employers Lekhwiya - who are top of the Qatar Stars League.

"It is always positive to be linked with big jobs and taking over one of the biggest teams in Asia [Japan] or QPR are big jobs," Laudrup told Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten.

"But, having said that, I would also like to say that I have no intention to leave Lekhwiya at the moment.

"We are top of the league and are starting the group phase of the Champions League in two weeks."

QPR moved out the relegation zone with a 2-0 win at Sunderland on Tuesday, their first away points of the season.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Poyet takes aim at Sunderland fans

10 February 2015

787069header.jpg

After a 2-0 home defeat by QPR on Tuesday, Sunderland coach Gus Poyet criticised the attitude of the club's supporters.

Sunderland head coach Gus Poyet launched a scathing attacking upon the club's supporters for encouraging a "desperate" style of play in Tuesday's 2-0 defeat by QPR.

QPR had lost all 11 away matches in the Premier League prior to their trip to the Stadium of Light and Poyet was left fuming by the result at full-time, venting his frustration at the fans.

Poyet had been previously made aware of the supporters' desire to see a more direct style of play employed, with the set-up from the Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips era referenced.

And, although the Uruguayan seemingly caved in to their demands in the second half, he was left unimpressed by the crowd's lack of pride towards the players and he ultimately dismissed such tactics as "craziness".

"That is what people want in the second half," he told reporters. "That is what they want, and they have been asking for a while, so maybe they need to be a little bit more proud of the team. But that craziness of the second half didn't give us points either.

"I don't know if that was football. I don't define that as football. It was a desperate team running about and trying to be nice with the fans.

"You can't analyse about passing the ball because nobody wanted to pass the ball here. Everybody wanted the players to play the ball forward – to let it bounce and get corners. It was more important to get a corner than make a pass.

"I learned that if you give your team-mate an angle and pass the ball forwards you've a better chance.

"I think it is time for everybody to sit down, reflect and learn. Then maybe we can make a big step forwards.

"If we keep trying to sort out problems by asking the team to do things we are not capable of doing, we are going to have this problem for years. I would like to be the one who changes things, but I cannot see it happening in a short period of time."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allardyce: No one better than me in Premier League

11 February 2015

787098header.jpg

West Ham coach Sam Allardyce claimed he is just as good as any another manager in the Premier League.

Sam Allardyce has come in for his fair share of criticism throughout his time in the Premier League but the West Ham coach claimed there is no other manager "more sophisticated" in England's top flight.

Allardyce has overseen a remarkable transformation at Upton Park this season, with West Ham flying high in eighth position following Sunday's 1-1 draw against Manchester United.

The 60-year-old was on the verge of being sacked last season amid unrest from the stands due to his long-ball tactics, but with West Ham now playing a more attacking brand of football, Allardyce is the toast of East London.

Speaking ahead of Wednesday's trip to Southampton, Allardyce said there is no one better than him in the Premier League.

"I don't think there is any coach more sophisticated than me anymore," said Allardyce. "That's not trying to criticise any other coaches but there is only Arsene [Wenger] who has done it longer than me.

"They may well have gained more experience by managing abroad like Louis van Gaal, Ronald Koeman and people like that but in this country, with the experience they've got I don't think there is any coach that would be in that position [more sophisticated]. I'm just as good as everybody at this stage.

"That comes from the amount of time you do the job, how much experience you gain in the job and how much knowledge you strive for on a regular basis to keep the cutting edge.

"The cutting edge is what's new in football, what's the next level, where is it going to be, how can you find it, how can you implement it into your club.

"I've always been that way inclined. I've never stood still and it's probably why I am still here managing in the Premier League for the last 13-14 years."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: I would have been banned if I was Pearson

11 February 2015

787146header.jpg

The Football Association is once again Jose Mourinho's target after the Chelsea boss blasted perceived evidence of double standards.

Jose Mourinho believes he would be hit with a stadium ban if he were involved in the kind of touchline scrap that saw Nigel Pearson appear to choke James McArthur.

Leicester City boss Pearson escaped punishment for a bizarre tangle with the Crystal Palace midfielder, and subsequently clung onto his job despite intense reports of his sacking at the King Power Stadium over the weekend.

Mourinho is no stranger to a touchline scuffle and clashed with Arsenal counterpart Arsene Wenger at Stamford Bridge earlier this season.

The Chelsea boss has courted controversy for much of the season with repeated claims of a "campaign" against his side perpetuated by the Football Association.

A £25,000 fine has seemingly done little to quell the Portuguese's frustration, however, as he once again took aim at the authorities when asked for his thoughts on Pearson's indiscretions.

"I have only thoughts about myself, not about Nigel," he said, before referring to his spat with Wenger.

"If I push a manager in my technical area, you know that I will be stadium banned," Mourinho said.

"We all know. Why? We don't know. You can't say we don't know why, but I think we all know that if I do something like that I would be in serious, serious trouble."

Mourinho could be set for further punishment after suggesting Robin van Persie should have been retrospectively punished for throwing an elbow at West Ham's James Tomkins on Sunday - an incident not deemed worthy of on-field action by referee Mark Clattenburg, or post-match by the FA.

Despite having already been hit in the pocket over his comments this term, Mourinho suggested he will not look to curb his outbursts when facing the media.

He explained: "I can be very defensive and say nothing, or I can be myself and say what I feel.

"And then there is a line where you never know the way they [the FA] analyse it and they think you can or can't say that.

"Press conferences, especially after matches, are very, very difficult for us."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramsey appointed QPR boss until end of the season

940912_heroa.jpg

Feb 13, 2015 19:46:00

The caretaker coach has been handed the reins at Loftus Road until the summer, with chairman Tony Fernandes admitting that he missed out on his "dream" appointment

Chris Ramsey has been named as QPR's head coach until the end of the season, with chairman Tony Fernandes admitting that he has missed out on his "dream" manager and will defer the appointment of a permanent boss until the summer.

The 52-year-old Ramsey has been working in a caretaker capacity following Harry Redknapp's departure, but has been entrusted with the task of keeping the struggling London outfit in the Premier League - ahead of hot favourite Tim Sherwood, who Ramsey was assistant to at Spurs.

“In the wake of Harry Redknapp’s resignation, it was my desire to identify the right individual for the job and at this time, we believe Chris is the ideal candidate," Fernandes told the club's official website.

“He has impressed everyone here in his short time in charge and I firmly believe he is the right man – working closely with Les [Ferdinand] – to lead us until the end of the season.

“Chris has an opportunity now to stamp his authority and class on the position. He is part of our long-term plans at QPR.”

Fernandes added: “A lot has been written and said about the position, including by myself, but the decision has been taken to defer the permanent appointment until the end of the season.

“We spoke to many individuals who were interested in the role, one of whom I was quoted on as being a dream, but none of them were right to take the club forward at this time for a variety of reasons, whereas we firmly believe Chris is.

“We are keen for the position to be a long-term appointment that will play a major role in shaping the future on-field progression of QPR. For that reason, it is vitally important that we get the right individual.

“As a Board of Directors, we are determined to make the right appointment in the best interests of the club.

“Premier League survival is our priority in the short term, but in the medium and long term we want to make sure everything is in place, from the Academy upwards, to create a lasting legacy and philosophy at QPR.”

And Ramsey, who oversaw the R's first away win of the season against Sunderland in midweek, has expressed his own delight at being handed the position.

“This is a great privilege and an honour for me. I am excited about leading the club between now and the end of the season," he told the club's official website.

“I believe in this group of players, the staff, and everyone working at the club.

“I’d like to thank the QPR supporters for their support so far and with their backing, I am confident that we can build on Tuesday’s win at Sunderland and start to climb the table.

“During this period, I will still be involved in the running of the Academy for the rest of this season and beyond. Continuity is very important when it comes to the development of young players, which is something I am very mindful of.”

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Andy Carroll out for rest of season

884282_heroa.jpg

Feb 13, 2015 17:45:00

The former Liverpool forward only made a return from a heel injury in November but is now set for an operation and another prolonged period on the sidelines

West Ham striker Andy Carroll will miss the rest of the 2014-15 Premier League season after undergoing surgery on a knee injury.

The England international pulled up in the closing stages of Wednesday's 0-0 draw with Southampton, though manager Sam Allardyce was originally hopeful it would not prove to be too serious.

But after meeting with a specialist on Friday, it was confirmed the former Liverpool forward will require surgery.

And the recovery period required will mean it is unlikely he will feature for the Irons again this term.

"Andy Carroll will have surgery on his injured knee on Tuesday following assessment by a specialist on Friday afternoon," a statement on the club's official website read.

"The England international injured his left knee during the second half of Wednesday night's 0-0 Barclays Premier League draw at Southampton.

"The recovery phase is expected to keep Carroll out for the remainder of the 2014-15 season."

Carroll has scored five Premier League goals so far this campaign having missed the first three months with a heel injury.

ThosayMaureenNeo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He is having a good season with West Ham but I don't think Big Sam could manage a big BPL club and get consistently good results. I do like this guy though.

"I don't think there is any coach more sophisticated than me anymore," said Allardyce. "That's not trying to criticise any other coaches but there is only Arsene [Wenger] who has done it longer than me.

"I've always been that way inclined. I've never stood still and it's probably why I am still here managing in the Premier League for the last 13-14 years."

[/COLOR]

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Premier League finances putting La Liga at risk of ´exodus´

13 February 2015

788355header.jpg

Premier League clubs are counting the money after a record-breaking TV deal, but it has struck fear into rival European leagues.

Spanish football chief Javier Tebas is concerned La Liga could suffer an "exodus" of talent to the Premier League in the wake of English football's money-spinning TV deal.

Premier League rights were auctioned off for an astonishing £5.136billion this week, averaging at £10million per game.

The Liga de Futbol Profesional is currently negotiating fresh terms on La Liga's new TV deal, though delays have frustrated its president Tebas.

And he is concerned that stellar names plying their trade in Spain could be drawn to the riches on offer in England.

"We've done all we have to do and we can only hope that the decision is for the good of football fans and Spanish sport," he told EFE.

"[The delays] could result in a very important loss, hundreds of millions of Euros, which would mean a very complicated future for Spanish football.

"There will be a new exodus of players. The current model stops us keeping our stars.

"Our game is going to be devalued."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger may be one of those looking to take advantage of further financial clout in the market, having recently signed La Liga stars Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez in big-money moves.

"It makes the clubs in a bigger, stronger financial position all over Europe," he said.

"It will contribute to get the best players all over the world to come to England. The movement of the players is always linked with the economical and financial power in the countries.

"When I was a coach in Monaco we bought the English players because we were the first to have the television money. Today the biggest financial power is in England and the best players come to England."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal dismisses Scholes criticism

938252_heroa.jpg

Feb 13, 2015 18:25:00

The former Red Devils midfielder branded the current side's play as being "miserable" but the veteran coach is not concerned by opinions of his team

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has dismissed criticism from Paul Scholes after the former midfielder branded their football "miserable".

In his column for The Independent, former United midfielder Scholes hit out at the lack of attacking football being played by Van Gaal's side this season.

He added that the Red Devils have not taken enough risks since the veteran coach took over at the start of the campaign despite them sitting third in the Premier League table.

And ahead of Monday's FA Cup tie with Preston North End, Van Gaal admitted he is not affected by comments made regarding his side.

“I don't worry about it, it's not so interesting I think because he is one of the fans, I hope, and fans can criticise," he told reporters.

"That's what I have to say about that. I am used to it and I think all the players are used to it because they are not first time professional football players.

"Most of the time it does not affect me or the players."

The former Barcelona coach has faced questions regarding his tactics since his arrival at Old Trafford, with many supporters and pundits questioning his frequent change in formation.

Having pledged to play 3-5-2 when he first took over, Van Gaal has since reverted to a 4-1-2-1-2 system in recent weeks while he has also experimented with playing just one striker.

And though he revealed he is relatively happy with how his team is playing, he admits he is still looking to find the right balance.

"I have played now already five or six systems and I am looking still for the balance. This system is more balanced than normally and I can play with more attacking players.

"In spite of the fact that we are looking for the balance, our results are not bad and our defensive organisation is not bad, we also score a lot of goals. So, I cannot say that I am very disappointed about that."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Prince William asked me to manage Aston Villa, claims Avram Grant

919352_heroa.jpg

By Kent Mensah
Feb 13, 2015 17:05:00

The 60-year-old says he wants to continue with the Black Stars despite being approached by English royalty to succeed the sacked Paul Lambert at Villa Park

Avram Grant claims Prince William has asked him to become the new manager of Aston Villa - but insists he has no intention of leaving his current job as Ghana coach.

The former Chelsea, Portsmouth and West Ham manager has been linked with a return to the Premier League after leading the Black Stars to the final of the Africa Cup of Nations, eventually losing to Ivory Coast on penalties.

But while Grant reveals he has been approached by royalty to succeed the sacked Paul Lambert at Villa Park, he is adamant he will see out his contract with the African giants.

"Aston Villa is a great club, with great fans and it is an honour to have my name mentioned with them, but I want to continue with Ghana for the next two years, until the end of my contract. I enjoy managing Ghana very much," the 60-year-old told Sky Sports.

"I met Prince William and he asked me ‘why don’t you come to Aston Villa?’. I said ‘when you become the chairman, I will come’. As long as my name is mentioned, I feel good with this, but not more than that. I want to continue with Ghana."

Grant then looked back at the Afcon tournament, praising his side for making it until the end.

"The Cup of Nations was a great experience. Great people, very passionate about football. High quality players, many of whom are playing here in the Premier League. I enjoyed it very much.

"Ghana have not won the cup since 1982 and no one expected us to reach the final, because it is a completely new team.

"Half of the squad were different to the squad who went to the World Cup just half a year ago. We changed it from players who were stars of the team to players who I think will be stars of the team.

"In the final, we were the better side and lost after 11 penalties each. We are happy and the Ghanaian people are very happy.

"I have just come from three days of celebrations and it was like we took the World Cup. But we did lose by the last penalty so I cannot be completely happy.”

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Villa is no place for a novice, warns Marshall

13 February 2015

788580header.jpg

Paul Lambert's successor at Aston Villa must be an experienced manager who can handle the pressure, says caretaker boss Scott Marshall.

Aston Villa need an experienced manager to replace Paul Lambert if they are to survive in the Premier League this season, according to caretaker boss Scott Marshall.

Villa's place in the top flight is under threat this season as they struggle to score goals, and as a result find it difficult to win games - they have only won five so far.

Lambert was dismissed on Wednesday after Villa slipped into the bottom three following a 2-0 defeat to Hull City.

Banners and chants during Tuesday's defeat called for Lambert to leave the club - they got their wish 24 hours later.

Following his departure Lambert released a statement saying leading Villa was the "toughest challenge" of his career, and Marshall agrees, saying a novice would struggle under the pressure.

"This is not a job for someone to cut their teeth on," said Marshall. "This is all new to me, but I'm happy to do it while things are being sorted.

"It's a big job."

The likes of Tim Sherwood and Sean Dyche have been linked with the vacancy at Villa Park, although no move has been made to replace Lambert heading into this weekend's FA Cup clash with Leicester City.

Marshall prepared the team to face Leicester on Sunday, and has seen a determination from the players to turn their fortunes around.

"I don't think the players have a point to prove," he added. "They want to go out and win the game because they are good professionals and there is a quarter-final place at stake."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal still searching for right balance

13 February 2015

788552header.jpg

Manchester United's formation continues to pose headaches for manager Louis van Gaal despite seven months of trying.

Louis van Gaal admits he is still searching for the right balance at Manchester United despite seven months in the Old Trafford hot seat.

The Dutchman has tinkered with his formation on numerous occasions throughout the season with three and four at the back both tried, while he has also rotated his midfield options.

As a result United have struggled with fluidity during the campaign, which has seen fans call for the team to attack during matches and brought criticism from legend Paul Scholes.

A less-than convincing 3-1 win over Burnley on Wednesday was the latest instalment of United failing to meet their undoubted potential, and Van Gaal says he is still searching for the right set-up.

"I have played now already five or six systems and I am looking still for the balance," he said.

"This system is more balanced than normally and I can play with more attacking players.

"In spite of the fact that we are looking for the balance, our results are not bad and our defensive organisation is not bad, we also score a lot of goals.

"So, I cannot say that I am very disappointed about that.

"Next match we can show that we are still in our process and positive, when you see that it's not bad I think."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Beard resigns as QPR CEO

13 February 2015

788512header.jpg

Premier League strugglers QPR have announced a change behind the scenes after Philip Beard resigned as the club's CEO.

Philip Beard has resigned his post as chief executive officer of Premier League side QPR, continuing a reshuffle of staff at Loftus Road.

Beard will depart in March after over three-and-a-half years of service, following fomer manager Harry Redknapp out of the door.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank Phil for his contribution to QPR and wish him well for the future," owner Tony Fernandes told QPR's official website.

"In the short term we will continue to liaise with Phil regarding our long-term projects, ensuring a smooth transitional period prior to making a new appointment.

"I have high regard for Phil and he will always be welcome back at Loftus Road in the future."

Beard added: "The role of the CEO at QPR has changed in the wake of the recent senior management changes, especially on the football side of the club.

"Whilst the changes have been positive, the decision-making process is evolving all the time at the club and I felt now was a sensible time to move on to other opportunities.

"QPR is a wonderful club and I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the directors and incredible management team and staff at QPR.

"Most of all I want to thank the fans. The passion and loyalty of the Rangers supporters is second to none and I will never forget being one of 40,000-plus R's fans celebrating our play-off final victory at Wembley in May.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at QPR and I wish the club all the best for a bright future."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

West Ham win Adrian appeal

13 February 2015

788509header.jpg

The Football Association has overturned West Ham goalkeeper Adrian's red card for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Adrian has had his red card against Southampton rescinded, but West Ham have been charged by the Football Association (FA) for failing to control their players in the reaction to the incident.

Referee Craig Pawson produced a straight red card for the West Ham goalkeeper in the 61st minute of Wednesday's 0-0 Premier League draw at St Mary's Stadium.

The dismissal came after Adrian handled the ball outside of the penalty area following a tangle with Southampton forward Sadio Mane, but manager Sam Allardyce stated the club would challenge the decision.

The FA has subsequently reviewed the incident and upheld the appeal for wrongful dismissal.

"An Independent Regulatory Commission has today upheld a claim of wrongful dismissal in relation to Adrian San Miguel Del Castillo," read an FA statement.

"The West Ham United goalkeeper was dismissed in the game against Southampton on Wednesday 11 February 2015 for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

"His one-match suspension has, therefore, been withdrawn with immediate effect.

"Meanwhile, West Ham have been charged by The FA for failing to ensure that its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion in or around the 61st minute of this game.

"The club have until 6pm on 18 February 2015 to respond to the charge."