• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

McArthur plays down Pearson incident

7 February 2015

785443header.jpg

Crystal Palace's James McArthur has played down an altercation with Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson in Saturday's Premier League clash.

Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson's touchline altercation with James McArthur has been "blown out of proportion", according to the Crystal Palace midfielder.

With the pair prone on the floor after a late challenge near the touchline had sent the Palace player tumbling into the Leicester boss on Saturday, Pearson jokingly grabbed McArthur around the throat, before holding onto his shirt as he tried to walk back onto the pitch.

The incident in the 1-0 Premier League victory for the Londoners at the King Power Stadium drew plenty of attention on social media, but Pearson was keen to play it down in his post-match press conference, saying: "I have absolutely no problem today at all with the lad".

And likewise, McArthur took to Sport Lobster to add his view, posting: "Situation with me and Nigel Pearson is getting blown out of proportion".

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lambert laments ´undeserved´ loss

7 February 2015

785366header.jpg

Paul Lambert felt Aston Villa were worthy of at least a point from Saturday's Premier League loss to Chelsea.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert was disappointed to see his side lose 2-1 at home to Premier League leaders Chelsea after his players ended a near 11-hour wait for a goal.

Jores Okore brought an end to Villa's barren run to level after Eden Hazard had scored the opener, but a goal from Branislav Ivanovic earned a 2-1 victory for Jose Mourinho's side and left the hosts stuck in a relegation dogfight.

"I'm really disappointed to lose because I thought it was a game we never deserved to lose," Lambert said.

"I think there's a lot of good things came out of the game for us. There was some really good play from us and a really good tempo to the game."

Lambert was at least relieved that his players had found the target after such a long time without a goal.

He added: "I thought it was a great goal, it was no more than we deserved. Taking our chances has been the problem and today we took a chance. To get the goal is a big moment for us with the way things have been going."

The Scot believes his players have shown the sort of spirit which could help them move away from the wrong end of the table.

"I thought the performance was very good," he said. "We want to go into a run of games where if we play like that hopefully we will pick up points. It's not just about 17th, you want to go as high as you can.

"There are a lot of games still to go and if we do that in the coming weeks then we'll pick up points.

"That's a catalyst for the football club to go and pick up points."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Seven-point lead is ´nothing´

7 February 2015

785389header.jpg

Jose Mourinho dismissed Chelsea going seven points clear in the Premier League as insignificant, despite Manchester City's recent struggles.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho remains wary of Manchester City's threat in the Premier League title race, insisting a seven-point lead "is nothing".

City had to rescue a last-gasp 1-1 draw at home to Hull City on Saturday, while Chelsea increased their advantage at the top of the table with a hard-fought 2-1 win away to Aston Villa.

But Mourinho is refusing to get carried away, reminding his team that there are still 42 points left to play for and insisting that City are capable of clawing themselves back.

"In another country I would say it's fantastic, in this country I say it's nothing," he said. "Every game is difficult, anything could happen.

"Seven points means seven points but you have 14 matches to go. You are speaking about 42 points to play for, we have a lead of seven. I think it's nothing.

"When you are top of the league you don't need the other teams to lose points. If they lose, good, but we have to focus on ourselves.

"If we win the next game we have a seven-point lead with 13 matches to go.

"I am surprised with nothing in this country. Any team can take points. So no, I am not surprised by [City's result]."

Didier Drogba put in a laboured display in attack for Chelsea, appearing somewhat off the pace.

But Mourinho is content with the Ivorian's efforts, adamant that the 36-year-old did his job before being withdrawn for Loic Remy 24 minutes from time.

"Didier is giving us a lot, on the pitch and off it," he added. "Playing five minutes or more than that, we cannot expect him to be running and getting behind defenders and being very fast because as you know time flies and he is a different prolife of player now.

"He gave us what we needed today. Today we thought we were going to be dominant and that they would be defensive - we needed a target man in the middle that can give more freedom to others; he did that for us."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini calm over gap to Chelsea

7 February 2015

785388header.jpg

Manchester City remain unconcerned despite a seven-point gap to Premier League leaders Chelsea opening up, according to Manuel Pellegrini.

Manuel Pellegrini is more perturbed by his Manchester City side's stuttering form than their seven-point deficit to Premier League leaders Chelsea.

The City manager saw James Milner salvage a 1-1 draw against Hull City on Saturday as the champions' mid-season malaise continued.

Jose Mourinho's Chelsea on the other hand, moved further clear at the top with victory over Aston Villa but Pellegrini reiterated it was now more important for his side to refocus on getting back to winning ways.

"We are not concerned about the gap, we are concerned about how we return to our normal performance," the Chilean explained.

"How we can score goals again, how we can resolve problems posed by other teams, that's more important."

The champions fell behind to a first-half David Meyler strike amid chaotic home defending at the Etihad Stadium before substitute Milner produced a stoppage-time free-kick to rescue a point after dominating possession for 45 minutes.

"Once again we couldn't create the space against a team that defended with 10 men behind the ball," Pellegrini added.

"We didn't have clear chances to score because we are not playing well in attacking.

"It's very clear what we must do, because I think the team is running, has spirit, has possession, we work and we try.

"Before the game, if you say we are going to draw against Hull, we don't like it. But in the way we did it, with the free-kick, I repeat during 90 minutes that we had all the possession and we attack and we attack.

"We created one chance more - when [Sergio] Aguero hit the crossbar - but we must work and we must try to improve in that sense."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mixed feelings for Bruce after draw with the champions

7 February 2015

785309header.jpg

Steve Bruce had mixed feelings after his Hull City side were held to a 1-1 draw by Manchester City in the Premier League on Saturday.

Hull City have plenty of positives to take from Saturday's 1-1 draw with Manchester City despite conceding a late equaliser, according to Steve Bruce.

James Milner left it late to cancel out David Meyler's opener as the England international curled home a free-kick deep into injury time following relentless second-half pressure from the hosts.

However, after enduring some woeful recent form, including a 3-0 home defeat to Newcastle United last time out, Bruce was delighted to see his side climb out of the bottom three.

"I think that's five times that's happened to us this year - that we've conceded late on - but after last week the most important thing was the response," Bruce explained.

"That was a bit more like the team I've had the pleasure of managing for the last two-and-a-half years.

"They've shown [enough] resilience and determination in my opinion to hang on and win the match because my goalkeeper has made only one save.

"We got a bit deep in the second half, which is only normal, but with our first-half performance we could have gone further ahead.

"But I'm disappointed for them because they've played so well."

Hull's draw represents their first point in the Premier League since their New Year's Day victory over Everton, with Bruce also having had to contend with a lengthy injury list in recent weeks.

"It's been an awful 10 or 12 weeks for us, with one thing or another," he added.

"But hopefully that can galvanise the squad and bring the confidence and belief that has ebbed away.

"If we keep playing like that, we'll come back [to the Etihad] next season because that's the aim of the club and that's what we want to do."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Di Maria concerned for family after break-in attempt

7 February 2015

785030header.jpg

Angel Di Maria requested to play in Manchester United's win over Cambridge United a few days after an attempted break-in at his house.

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal revealed that record signing Angel Di Maria has concerns over the safety of his family following an attempted break-in at the winger's house.

It was reported last weekend that the Argentina international was having dinner when intruders attempted to smash a patio door, but fled empty-handed.

Di Maria and his family are said to have relocated to a hotel following that incident and Van Gaal expressed concerns over the former Real Madrid man's state of mind ahead of the FA Cup fourth-round replay against Cambridge United on Tuesday.

The 26-year-old requested to start the clash with the League Two side and Van Gaal was impressed with his performance following a difficult few days.

He said: "I believe in the total human being principle, so his environment is also important. He was worried about his wife and child.

"I spoke with him and he wanted to play against Cambridge United and I played him. I have decided in the past that I will never play a player in those circumstances, because of the total human being principle.

"But with him I had the feeling that I had to give him a chance to play and I was happy that I let him play. He played very well. And, of course, I have to decide on Sunday [at West Ham] again, but when you have seen his performance against Cambridge, I don't think I have any doubt."

Di Maria was replaced by Ander Herrera in that routine victory at Old Trafford and Van Gaal has urged the Spaniard to raise his game in order to secure a place in United's starting line-up.

He said: "I have to compare him with people like [Wayne] Rooney and [Juan] Mata, for example, so that's difficult, they are all at a high level - he has to improve,

"But he's a great guy, he's a very great professional also, so that's not the problem - his problem is he has to compete with high-level players and Rooney is also the captain so he has a privilege.

"So then the other places are the place of the position in this system that we are playing now with a number 10 and that's Mata and that's Di Maria. That's difficult to compete against but he did already know that at the moment that he signed for Manchester United.

"When you sign for a top club like he did he knows that he is had to fight but he is fighting.

"He is coming back, there were a lot of weeks he was down but now he is coming back."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poyet: Redknapp departure hinders us

9 February 2015

786281header.jpg

Gus Poyet believes Harry Redknapp's resignation from QPR does little to help Sunderland ahead of Tuesday's Premier League meeting.

Harry Redknapp's recent departure from QPR will hinder Sunderland's preparation for Tuesday's Premier League clash, according to Gus Poyet.

Redknapp resigned from his post at Loftus Road last week, citing knee problems as a major factor in his decision to quit.

Chris Ramsey has been placed in caretaker charge and he got off to a disappointing start with a 1-0 home defeat at the hands of Southampton on Saturday.

With QPR set to visit the Stadium of Light on Tuesday - looking for their first points on the road this season following 11 successive away defeats - Poyet thinks the change in manager disrupts his build-up.

""From my point of view, I like to analyse the opposition," he said.

"The difficulty is that I don't know how they are going to play or who is going to play.

"But the change didn't bring them a result against Southampton on Saturday so we must make sure we play our game and take advantage.

"And if they offer something new, we have to be aware of it and adapt."

QPR's top scorer Charlie Austin netted the only goal in the reverse fixture back in August, but the striker will miss the trip to Sunderland with a bruised foot, much to head coach Poyet's delight.

He added: "When you have someone like Charlie who makes a difference and wins game - like he did against us earlier this season - missing, it should be a bonus for us.

"He is an excellent player and Rangers are better with him around."

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Bruce slams Fulham rumours

9 February 2015

786211header.jpg

Steve Bruce is unhappy with reports he is to take over at Fulham, while stating Dame N'Doye may make his Hull City debut versus Aston Villa.

Hull City manager Steve Bruce has slammed speculation that he could take over as boss of Championship club Fulham.

Reports over the weekend suggested that Fulham were planning to remove Kit Symons and attempt to lure Bruce to Craven Cottage with the promise of transfer funds.

However, Bruce - who was also linked with Fulham before Symons took over permanently last October - claims the rumours are disrespectful.

"I was getting the sack [according to reports] the day before and then Fulham want me," he said.

"Unfortunately, the media today, I can't do anything about it. The unfortunate thing is there's a manager in situ at Fulham and I have respect for Kit Symons.

"I can't comment as it just fuels it. It's rubbish journalism."

Bruce saw his side come agonisingly close to beating champions Manchester City on Saturday, before James Milner scored a sublime injury-time free-kick to salvage a 1-1 draw.

The former Sunderland manager is hoping Hull - who are 18th - can take heart from that performance into Tuesday's encounter with Aston Villa – two points and two places above them.

"You hope it gives us a bit of confidence because after the run we've had and the disappointments we've had you want that confidence," he added.

"We were a minute from beating them. It's a big game tomorrow, what happened at the weekend is gone, let's hope it gives us that belief."

Bruce also confirmed that January signing Dame N'Doye may make his debut against Villa, adding: "He's in our thoughts.

"We got him here on Saturday. He's trained well and I've got a decision to make. I've been following him for a long, long time.

"He's got all the attributes, but can he do it in the Premier League? That's the million dollar question."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool to assess trio ahead of Spurs

9 February 2015

786105header.jpg

Brendan Rodgers is hopeful that key trio Raheem Sterling, Philippe Coutinho and Adam Lallana will be available to face Tottenham on Tuesday.

Liverpool are to give late fitness checks to Raheem Sterling, Philippe Coutinho and Adam Lallana ahead of Tuesday's Premier League clash against Tottenham.

Brazilian midfielder Coutinho lasted 56 minutes of Saturday's Merseyside derby against Everton before coming off with a knee injury, while winger Sterling was also substituted in the closing stages due to a foot problem.

Lallana was not included for the trip to Goodison Park, the former Southampton man having been troubled by a calf complaint recently.

However, manager Brendan Rodgers is hopeful that all three will be fit when Tottenham visit Anfield.

"Phil Coutinho had a knock on his knee and Raheem had a knock on his foot," Rodgers told the club's official website.

"We had fresh players on the bench to bring on and hopefully they will be fit for Tuesday."

On Lallana, Rodgers added: "We need to see how he is but he has a big possibility for Tuesday."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leicester deny sacking Pearson

8 February 2015

785952header.jpg

Despite reports to the contrary, Leicester City have denied that they have sacked manager Nigel Pearson.

Leicester City have moved to deny reports manager Nigel Pearson has been sacked.

Speculation on Sunday suggested Pearson had been removed from his post at the King Power Stadium, with the club sitting bottom of the Premier League.

However, the Midlands club have stressed those rumours are of no substance.

A statement on Leicester's official website read: "Leicester City Football Club would like to clarify its position relative to its manager, Nigel Pearson.

"Contrary to media speculation on Sunday evening, Nigel remains the club's first team manager. Reports to the contrary are inaccurate and without foundation.

"Nigel, his staff and the first team squad are entirely focused on Tuesday night's trip to Arsenal and our continued efforts to secure our position in the Barclays Premier League."

Leicester have struggled to adapt to the life in the top flight since winning promotion as Championship winners last season, with their fans having little to shout about aside from a 5-3 victory over Manchester United in September and a run to the fifth round of the FA Cup.

Pearson has also found himself at the centre of controversy on more than one occasion.

The 51-year-old received a touchline ban and fine from the Football Association after clashing with a supporter in the aftermath of his side's 3-1 defeat to Liverpool in December, before becoming involved in a bizarre confrontation that saw him appear to grab Crystal Palace midfielder James McArthur by the throat during a 1-0 loss on Saturday.

Pearson, who took over at Leicester in 2011 having previously held the post from 2008 to 2010, had been linked with a bid to bring McArthur to the club during the close-season.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal receive Sanchez boost

9 February 2015

786098header.jpg

After suffering derby-day defeat to Tottenham, Arsenal received good news as Alexis Sanchez is set to return against Leicester City.

Alexis Sanchez has handed Arsenal a fitness boost ahead of Tuesday's Premier League clash with bottom club Leicester City.

The Chile international has missed Arsenal's past two matches with a hamstring injury, including Saturday's 2-1 defeat to north London rivals Tottenham.

However, Sanchez - who has scored 12 goals in 21 Premier League appearances since arriving in a big-money move from Barcelona in the close-season - is back in contention for when Leicester visit the Emirates Stadium.

"Sanchez will be back in the group," manager Arsene Wenger said. "He's our best goalscorer. One of our hardest working players in the team. We missed him on Saturday, we missed his physical strength and work-rate."

The Frenchman also confirmed that midfielder Jack Wilshere has returned to training following a near three-month lay-off with an ankle injury, but stated Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (groin) will remain absent.

"We have to monitor him [Wilshere] daily and see how he develops. I don't know when he'll return," he added. "[Oxlade-Chamberlain] is not back. He's got at least two more weeks."

Arsenal's defeat at White Hart Lane came on the back of five straight wins in all competitions and just one defeat in 11 previous matches.

Wenger now sees Tuesday's match as the perfect opportunity to respond to the derby disappointment.

"We had a very strong run before Saturday so we just want to continue that. We need to respond strongly," he said.

"We have to deal with our performances. The criticism is always there. We have to focus on our performances.

"I don't take criticism personally. What I take personally is losing games. We have a good opportunity to show that we have the strength and quality to deal with pressure."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ramsey refuses to rule out permanent QPR role

9 February 2015

786144header.jpg

Tim Sherwood may be clear favourite to take the vacant QPR manager's job, but caretaker Chris Ramsey remains interested in a full-time role.

QPR's caretaker boss Chris Ramsey refused to rule himself out of contention for the permanent role, saying he would "jump at the chance" to manage a Premier League team of a full-time basis.

Ramsey was placed in joint control of the first team alongside Kevin Bond following Harry Redknapp's sudden resignation at Loftus Road last week.

Former Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood - who employed Ramsey as part of his backroom team at White Hart Lane - is the clear favourite to take control of the Premier League strugglers.

Ramsey has spoken to Sherwood regarding the vacancy, but was coy on his own chances ahead of QPR's trip to Sunderland on Tuesday.

"I'd be a liar to say I haven't [spoken to Sherwood] because you speak to lots of people you know in the game about the job," he said.

"I said this on Saturday from my personal point of view as a coach and having gone the long way round if you got offered the chance to manage a Premier League team you'd have to jump at the chance.

"[But] more importantly for me in my job as a coach is that QPR stay above that line at the end of the season whether it's me or anyone else."

QPR travel to Sunderland without top-scorer Charlie Austin, while defensive duo Richard Dunne and Nedum Onuoha are also sidelined.

That means experienced pair Bobby Zamora and Rio Ferdinand are likely to come into contention and Ramsey believes they could be crucial to QPR's hopes of beating the drop.

"Rio and Bobby are two of the older pros and they will be key with their experience," he said. "Even though I didn't pick Rio at the weekend he was always in my plans for this game, even before the injuries."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pearson bullish over Leicester future after sack rumours

9 February 2015

786259header.jpg

Nigel Pearson stayed tight-lipped on his future, following reports he had been sacked by Leicester City on Sunday.

Nigel Pearson insists it is business as usual at Leicester City after refusing to clear up reports he had been sacked as manager.

After hours of confusion on Sunday, the Premier League's bottom club issued a statement denying rumours of Pearson's departure and the manager is already looking ahead to Tuesday's clash at Arsenal.

"The club made a statement and you know I'm going to disappoint you all [the media] and not speak about it," he said.

"We have a game and it's important my focus and that of the players is what we can do against Arsenal, not talk about something I'm not really prepared to talk about.

"I am, today, managing this club as I have been for the last three and three-quarter years, and I am looking to get my team as best prepared as possible for a big game against Arsenal.

"I understand the interest and you wanting to ask questions, but I have loyalties to the people I work for, my staff and the players, which really is more important to me than trying to clarify things for a story which was based on speculation."

Pearson has found himself at the centre of controversy on more than one occasion this season.

The former Hull City boss received a touchline ban and a fine from the Football Association following a confrontation with a Leicester fan during the club's 3-1 defeat to Liverpool in December.

Pearson was also involved in a bizarre altercation with Crystal Palace's James McArthur at the weekend, appearing to grab the midfielder by the throat during a 1-0 defeat on Saturday.

The incident was subsequently played down by both men, with Pearson blaming the television pundits for subsequently "making a mountain out of a molehill".

It had been thought that Pearson's latest touchline indiscretion had drawn the Leicester board's ire.

But Pearson explained: "I've always had a good working relationship with the owners. I'm sure I will moving forwards. You're never going to have a situation at any club where things go how you want all the time.

"We're bottom of the league, there is speculation, unfortunately stories like this break sometimes. For me I have to continue to lead the players, anything that would be counterproductive to preparation for tomorrow night is going to detract from what we're doing.

"In an ideal world I'd rather the story was not out there, but it's out there and we have to deal with it."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dunne set to miss rest of season

8 February 2015

785742header.jpg

QPR defender Richard Dunne could have played his final game this season after suffering a cruciate ligament injury against Southampton.

QPR have confirmed Richard Dunne suffered a cruciate ligament injury in their Premier League defeat to Southampton, which threatens to end his season.

The veteran defender, out of contract at the end of the campaign, is expected to be out for up to three months after he was hurt in the closing stages of Saturday's match at Loftus Road.

Dunne was forced off with seven minutes, with a defensive reshuffle preceding Sadio Mane snatching an injury-time winner for Southampton in QPR's first game since the resignation of manager of Harry Redknapp.

A QPR statement on Sunday read: "Defender Richard Dunne is set for a prolonged spell on the sidelines owing to a knee injury.

"The Irishman sustained a medial cruciate ligament injury to his right knee in the R's 1-0 defeat to Southampton on Saturday and is expected to be out for up to three months."

Fellow centre-half Nedum Onuoha, the player Mane held off to score Southampton's winner, will also be unavailable for QPR in the near future.

Onuoha injured a hamstring against Southampton and is likely to be sidelined for three to four weeks.

However, there was one piece of positive news for QPR on Sunday, when it emerged that Charlie Austin's foot injury is not as serious as first feared.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pressure on Southampton´s rivals - Fonte

9 February 2015

786027header.jpg

All the "pressure in the world" for a spot in next season's UEFA Champions League is on Southampton's rivals, claims captain Jose Fonte.

Southampton captain Jose Fonte has initiated mind games as the competition for a place in the Premier League's top four intensifies, claiming the pressure is on their rivals.

Ronald Koeman's Southampton sit third in the standings through 24 matches after Saturday's late 1-0 win at QPR.

Only six points separate Southampton (45) and sixth-placed Liverpool (39), with Manchester United (44), Tottenham (43) and Arsenal (42) all in the hunt for UEFA Champions League football next season.

There is a feeling that Fonte's team-mates will struggle to maintain their top-four charge with their big-spending rivals circling but the 31-year-old Portuguese centre-back has put the pressure on the chasing pack, claiming Southampton have what it takes to be there at the pointy end of the season as they continue to defy the odds.

"Those teams have all the pressure in the world," said Fonte.

"For us, no one really believes in us, no one really thinks that we're going to get there. But we as players and the group believe in ourselves and we're going to be fighting for that.

"It's going to be like this until the end I think. As we said before the game, we just need to keep going game by game, keep digging, grinding the results out and we'll see in the end where that takes us."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lambert issues Benteke challenge

9 February 2015

786149header.jpg

Christian Benteke deserved to be dropped for his poor form and must work hard to get back in the team, says Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has challenged striker Christian Benteke to knuckle down and win back his place in the starting XI.

The Belgium international has endured a poor season in front of goal, scoring just twice in 15 Premier League appearances.

Benteke's sticky patch was a key reason for Villa enduring the fourth longest goal drought in Premier League history, Jores Okore's header in Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Chelsea ending a 659-minute wait for a goal.

Lambert refused to lay the blame solely at Benteke's feet, but the Scot conceded stated his form has not been good enough and explained that it was an easy decision to drop him to the bench against Chelsea.

"It wasn't a hard decision to leave Christian out," Lambert said.

"His form has dipped and that's by his own admission.

"I expect him to take it like any other player and fight to get back in the side.

"We shouldn't put everything on Christian though - it's not his sole responsibility to score, but his overall form wasn't up to the standard he can produce."

Villa have failed to win their past nine Premier League matches and will look to end their wait for three points at Hull City on Tuesday.

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fabregas to make Chelsea return against Everton

925592_heroa.jpg

Feb 9, 2015 11:46:00

After missing the Blues' last two matches with a hamstring injury, the Spain international is set to return for the visit of Roberto Martinez's side

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho expects Cesc Fabregas to return from a hamstring injury in time to play Everton at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

The Spain international has missed the Blues' last two matches, against Manchester City and Aston Villa, after coming off in the second leg of the League Cup semi-final against Liverpool earlier in February.

The former Barcelona midfielder was expected to come into contention for Saturday's trip to Villa Park, which Chelsea won 2-1, but Mourinho opted not to field him as a precautionary measure.

"I think Fabregas will play on Wednesday because against Villa the decision was to protect him," the Blues boss told reporters.

"I didn't want to risk two players at the same time because Willian had a minor problem from the previous game and was also a risk. To start two players who were a risk was a big gamble, so we gambled with just one.

"We didn't miss Cesc against Aston Villa because Ramires is back and he is back to his best, too. He was great against Liverpool, Manchester City and Aston Villa. He has a different profile of play to Cesc, but he gives a lot."

Fabregas has proved a hit at Stamford Bridge since signing in a big-money move from Barcelona ahead of the 2014-15, contributing 15 assists and two goals in 21 Premier League appearances.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lambert defends Cleverley

9 February 2015

786427header.jpg

Paul Lambert has come out in defence of Tom Cleverley and says Aston Villa have no agreement with Manchester United to start the midfielder.

Aston Villa do not have an agreement with Manchester United to start on-loan midfielder Tom Cleverley, insists manager Paul Lambert.

Cleverley moved to Villa Park on a season-long deal, and has appeared in 20 of the club's 24 Premier League outings so far in 2014-15.

With Villa struggling in 16th in the table with just 12 goals scored, it is proving a difficult campaign for Lambert and his side.

But the Scot has defended Cleverly, and says there is no truth to talk they have an arrangement with United.

"No, I don't judge whether somebody is on loan. You try and pick a team you think will win a game," he said.

"I don't pick it through anything else - that is nowhere near it.

"Tom is one of these guys who never hides from the ball. I never criticise anybody for looking for the ball if they make a mistake.

"It is the same with Carlos [Sanchez] as well and the Arsenal game.

"Tom never hides. He gives it everything he has got, everything to try and do well.

"He wants to do well here and sometimes that is part and parcel of football. It is not nice to hear."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool close to Henderson, Sterling extensions

9 February 2015

786314header.jpg

Jordan Henderson and Raheem Sterling are close to signing new Liverpool contracts, but Lucas Leiva is set for a spell on the sidelines.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that contract negotiations with Jordan Henderson and Raheem Sterling will be "resolved shortly".

Sterling's contract situation has been a particularly hot topic this season, with reports suggesting the England international had turned down fresh terms earlier this season, leading to rumours he could join Manchester City or Real Madrid.

However, it looks as though vice-captain Henderson and Sterling are ready to commit to the cause at Anfield, with Rodgers describing the latter's offer as an "incredible deal".

"It will be resolved very soon. Both have shown their worth here," he said.

"Raheem has been offered what's an incredible deal for a young player."

Pressed on Sterling's deal, Rodgers added: "I've spoken to Raheem a number of times, he's very, very happy.

"He's been granted an opportunity to play here, and they get rewarded - but we're not a club to give way, way above what a player is worth at the certain time of their career.

"I'm not talking about Raheem, but in general. We want to reward our best talents, a big part of the future.

"If young players get too much, too young, it can really sabotage their development. That's why we communicate a lot with players and advisers.

"In Raheem's case he's been outstanding but we must not forget he was a 17-year-old boy given an opportunity - in the two-and-a-half-years since he's been outstanding, but he still has a long way to go."

Meanwhile, Rodgers confirmed that midfielder Lucas Leiva is set to "miss a bit of time" with a thigh injury sustained in Saturday's 0-0 draw with Everton in the Merseyside derby.

However, he expects to have Sterling, Philippe Coutinho and Adam Lallana all available for Wednesday's Premier League clash against Tottenham.

Sterling and Coutinho both came off with knocks against Everton, while Lallana was absent altogether with a groin complaint.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Koeman will see out Southampton deal despite Barca talk

10 February 2015

786839header.jpg

Ronald Koeman refused to rule out a return to Barcelona, but insists he will fulfil his contract as Southampton boss.

Ronald Koeman has insisted he will see out his contract at Southampton despite talk of a potential reunion with Barcelona.

Koeman was quoted on Tuesday as saying that he had previously been "very close" to the Barca dugout while also revealing the presence of exit clause in his contract.

Speaking at his press conference ahead of Wednesday's meeting with West Ham, Koeman refused to rule out a future move to Barca - with whom he spent six years as a player and two as an assistant - but insisted he has no pressing desire to leave Southampton.

He said: "Always Ronald Koeman is linked to Barcelona, that was, that is and will be in the future. I can't do anything about that, I have to respect my contract, I like to respect my contract and I'm very happy in my job.

"What happens in the future? The future doesn't mean next season, the future maybe means about seven years, you never know.

"Of course because I had a great time over there [Barca], that's normal that I have that feeling with them, and they have that feeling with me. There's no reason to be afraid about that."

Asked if he will see out his Southampton contract, Koeman replied: "Yes of course."

Koeman also confirmed that forward Emmanuel Mayuka is out for the season with a groin problem, while defender Matty Targett is a doubt for the West Ham game with head and neck injuries.

But there is positive news on new signing Filip Djuricic, who is in the squad after the Serbian finally received his work permit.

"Filip Djuricic got his work permit yesterday [Monday], and he did a normal training session this morning.

"He's part of the squad for tomorrow. It's not normally good to have a player with one session in the last week but we miss eight, nine players. That means that's an exception to put Djuricic on the bench. If we need a quality player I can put Djuricic in."