• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Drogba: I’ll be at Chelsea next season

680172_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Feb 1, 2015 12:58:00

The Ivorian wants to remain at Stamford Bridge and says he has no problem with Loic Remy starting ahead of him in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Manchester City

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba says he will remain at the club next season, despite his current deal expiring in the summer.

The 36-year-old returned to Stamford Bridge in July after stints with Shanghai Shenhua and Galatasaray, signing a one-year contract with the Blues.

Drogba has made 27 appearances, many as a substitue, in all competitions for Jose Mourinho’s men this season and says he is happy to continue in west London.

"My project for next year will be on a pitch with Chelsea," he told Telefoot.

Drogba was left out of Chelsea’s starting line-up for the clash with Manchester City on Saturday, despite Diego Costa’s suspension, featuring only as a late substitute as the Blues drew with Manuel Pellegrini's men.

Loic Remy was preferred to the Ivorian and scored the opening goal of the game, but Drogba says he has no problems with the decision to start him on the bench.

"He played a great game against City. That shows that he is resourceful," he added.

"We’ve showed that we can present a strong offensive force despite the absentees.

"It's obvious that I would like to play, but I’m not miserable."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini confident Man City can catch Chelsea

885712_heroa.jpg

By Dan Brett
Feb 1, 2015 12:50:00

The Blues boss believes the league leaders can still be caught, despite only grabbing a draw at Stamford Bridge, as five points separate the sides at the league's summit

Manuel Pellegrini remains confident Manchester City can claw back Chelsea's lead at the top of the table after Saturday's 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge.

The visitors fell behind to Loic Remy's 41st-minute strike but soon pulled things level as David Silva fired home just before the interval.

City pushed for the winner but had to settle for a share of the spoils, as Pellegrini rued a missed chance to close the gap on Jose Mourinho's men - but believes the title race is far from over.

"Of course it was important to try to close the gap," he told reporters. "We tried but we couldn't.

"We still have 45 points more to play for. I said before the game that this was a very important game but it is not a final.

"We have time to try to recover those five points and if we continue playing in the way we did it will be more easy."

City face Hull next weekend and have matches against Stoke City and Newcastle United before the end of February.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Everton can catch up with the rest - Martinez

876812_heroa.jpg

By Russell Greaves
Feb 1, 2015 12:23:00

The Spaniard hopes beating Crystal Palace will spark life into Everton's season after admitting that his side must "catch up" with rivals in the league and in Europe

Roberto Martinez hopes Everton's win at Crystal Palace will provide his side with a catalyst to improve.

Romelu Lukaku's early goal proved enough to end an eight-game winless streak for Everton, who moved up to 12th in the table and have a Europa League last-32 tie against Young Boys to look forward to, leaving Martinez optimistic for the rest of the season.

"The players are refreshed and we've got 15 games left in the league and we now want to show what we can do, and in Europe we want to enjoy a really good run of the knockout stages as well", he said.

"In the league we know that we have to catch up, but what happens is that we want to get as many wins as we can before the final third of the season.

"Once we get into the final third we'll see where we can finish and that's the approach that we are going to have now. But we all know we have the quality in the squad and that we have an incredible support."

Next up for Everton is the Merseyside derby against Liverpool at Goodison Park next weekend.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monk hails tactically astute Swansea

1 February 2015

782001header.jpg

Garry Monk was delighted with Swansea City's perfectly executed gameplan in their 1-0 Premier League win at Southampton on Sunday.

Swansea City got their tactics "spot on" in a 1-0 win at Southampton on Sunday, according to manager Garry Monk.

The Welsh outfit came into the clash at St Mary's Stadium without a victory in four Premier League outings, but ended that sequence as Jonjo Shelvey's stunning late goal saw them take all three points, while the hosts saw Ryan Bertrand sent off late on for a dangerous challenge on Modou Barrow.

Southampton dominated possession for much of the encounter, and went close through James Ward-Prowse and Sadio Mane.

However, a fine save from Lukasz Fabianski denied the former and Ashley Williams pulled off a double goal-line clearance to keep out Mane as Swansea sealed an impressive triumph.

"Tactically, I think we got it spot on," said Monk.

"We frustrated them in the first half, then we went for the three points in the second. And what a goal by Jonjo Shelvey - that's a goal worthy of winning any game.

"I'm happy with the three points in what has been a difficult month for us. We spoke about getting back to basics in the week, and we executed the plan very well.

"We've been in a difficult moment, especially in the last two games.

"We didn't show the commitment we've shown all season. But today was a very committed performance.

"There are periods in a season when you have to adapt. We've played some fantastic football this season, but you have to adapt sometimes, and we did that very well today."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Koeman confident of deadline-day addition

1 February 2015

782052header.jpg

Southampton will have at least one new player in their ranks when the transfer window shuts on Monday, according to manager Ronald Koeman.

Ronald Koeman expects to make at least one addition to his Southampton squad before the transfer window closes on Monday.

Southampton's hopes of securing a top-four finish in the Premier League were dented on Sunday when they suffered a 1-0 home defeat to Swansea City, with a fine long-range strike from Jonjo Shelvey in the 83rd minute proving decisive.

Koeman has previously revealed an interest in Feyenoord's Tonny Vilhena and Filip Djuricic, who is on loan at Mainz from Benfica.

And the Southampton manager is confident of bolstering his ranks as he seeks to guide the club towards UEFA Champions League qualification.

"We will have at least one player, I think we need that," said Koeman.

Pressed on whether Vilhena or Djuricic would be arriving at St Mary's Stadium, Koeman gave little away.

"I don't answer questions about names. But you will know it tomorrow," he said.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sandro nearing QPR return

1 February 2015

781885header.jpg

Premier League strugglers QPR could have midfielder Sandro back this month after he made good progress in his recovery from a knee injury.

Sandro hopes to return to first-team action in the coming weeks to help QPR's survival fight in the Premier League.

The Brazilian midfielder has not featured since late November when he suffered a knee injury against Newcastle United, but says he is now nearing full fitness.

Harry Redknapp bought the 25-year-old to try and bolster his midfield options but the former Tottenham man has only been able to make eight league appearances.

However, he hopes to add to those outings in the coming weeks as he returns to full training.

"I feel very good at QPR, and I will feel even better soon when I am able to help the team," he said.

"I really can't wait to be involved on the pitch again. I have been having treatment every day, twice a day, with the physios but now the difficult moments are in the past because I am starting to build my fitness.

"This week I will be training outside with the rest of the group. This will be very nice for me, it makes me feel happy.

"I will be taking part in full training, and then we will see how I feel."

QPR fell to a sixth successive game without a win in the Premier League on Saturday as they were beaten 3-1 by Stoke City, leaving Redknapp's side inside the bottom three.

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Angel Di Maria home attacked by raiders 'armed with scaffolding poles'

Manchester United forward was reportedly eating dinner inside the house when the incident occurred

Simon Rice
Monday 02 February 2015

angel-di-maria.jpg

Raiders reportedly armed with scaffolding poles allegedly tried to break into the home of Angel Di Maria whilst the Manchester United player was inside eating dinner with his family.

The offenders fled the scene empty-handed on Saturday night after the alarm was raised at the Argentina international's home in Prestbury, Cheshire.

A spokesman for Cheshire Police said: "At 7.30pm on Saturday, police received reports of a burglary at a house in the Chelford Road area of Prestbury.

"A number of offenders tried to gain access to the property by trying to smash the back door. The alarm was raised before the men got inside and they fled the scene."

According to The Sun, Di Maria was inside the home when the incident occurred, eating dinner with his wife and young daughter. It's also claimed that the would-be-burglars were trying to enter through the patio doors of the house using scaffolding poles.

Manchester United: Players who have been linked with a move to Old Trafford this month

Di Maria signed for Manchester United over the summer, joining from Real Madrid for a British record fee of £57.9m. He had played in the 3-1 win over Leicester City at Old Trafford earlier in the day on Saturday.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea complete Cuadrado capture

2 February 2015

782540header.jpg

Juan Cuadrado has completed a switch from Fiorentina to Premier League leaders Chelsea on a four-and-a-half-year deal.

Chelsea have confirmed the signing of Colombia international Juan Cuadrado from Fiorentina on a four-and-a-half-year deal.

After weeks of speculation, Chelsea announced Cuadrado's arrival on Monday, shortly after Andre Schurrle's departure to Wolfsburg.

Cuadrado spent five-and-a-half years in Italy, initially with Udinese before a move to Fiorentina in 2012 following a loan spell at Lecce.

"I am very happy and thankful for this opportunity I’ve been given," he told Chelsea's official website.

"This is a great club and honestly it is like a dream to join the Chelsea family and to know that the manager believes in me. I’m happy."

Cuadrado has five goals in 37 appearances for Colombia, and he was a key member of the side that starred at last year's World Cup in Brazil, before their quarter-final exit at the hands of the hosts.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Official: Southampton sign Djuricic

892302_heroa.jpg

Feb 2, 2015 19:46:00

The Serbia international spent the first half of the season at Mainz but will now look to boost the Saints' Champion League hopes

Southampton have completed the signing of Benfica midfielder Filip Djuricic on loan for the remainder of the campaign.

The Serbia international spent the first half of the season on loan at Mainz, making 12 appearances for the Bundesliga outfit.

But having had that deal cancelled by his parent club, the 23-year-old will now look to boost the Saint's Champions League hopes.

Having made his name at Heerenveen, he joined Benfica in 2013, but struggled to make an impact with the Portuguese outfit.

He becomes Ronald Koeman's second signing of the January window following the arrival of Eljero Elia on loan from Werder Bremen.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers expecting 'quiet' deadline day

876502_heroa.jpg

By Peter Thompson
Feb 2, 2015 17:58:00

The Liverpool manager is not planning on making any more signings and believes that his current squad are more than capable of climbing up the Premier League table

Brendan Rodgers is not expecting a late flurry of transfer activity on deadline day at Liverpool and believes he already has a squad capable of continuing their resurgence.

The Merseyside club have been linked with moves for Burnley striker Danny Ings, Real Madrid midfielder Asier Illarramendi and Marseille frontman Andre-Pierre Gignac before the window closes on Monday.

Rodgers has allowed teenager Sheyi Ojo to join Championship strugglers Wigan Athletic, but is not planning on making any high-profile additions and is not looking to offload members of his first-team squad.

He said: "You have to look for star quality but if it's not available then you press on with what you've got. I'll always look within.

"It will be very quiet for us. We're looking to keep all our players here.

"I'm happy with the team and the group, the squad is developing."

Liverpool face a trip to Bolton Wanderers for an FA Cup fourth-round replay on Wednesday, with captain Steven Gerrard poised to make his 700th appearance for the club.

Daniel Sturridge marked his long-awaited return from injury by coming off the bench to score Liverpool's second goal in Saturday's 2-0 win over West Ham.

Rodgers believes the England striker's presence has given his squad a lift, but will resist the temptation to start the former Chelsea man before he is ready.

He said: "It's clear to see that he's not at that stage to start yet.

"Daniel coming back gives the other players confidence. It improves everyone."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nasri boost for City

2 February 2015

782400header.jpg

Samir Nasri has missed Manchester City's last four games due to injury, but is poised to return against Hull City.

Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri is poised to make his comeback from injury after returning to training on Monday.

The Frenchman has not featured for the Premier League champions since the 1-1 draw at Everton last month after sustaining a calf problem.

Nasri has missed City's last four games, but could feature in Saturday's top-flight clash with struggling Hull City at the Etihad Stadium.

The former Arsenal man has been in fine form for Manuel Pellegrini's side this season and his return is a boost for the manager.

City remain second in the Premier League after holding leaders Chelsea to a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fernandes rules out QPR spree

2 February 2015

271029_heroa.jpg

Tony Fernandes has no intention of going on a spending spree on transfer deadline despite QPR's precarious position.

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes has ruled out splashing the cash on transfer deadline day and believes QPR have the quality to avoid relegation.

Fernandes has invested heavily since becoming the majority owner of the London club back in 2011 and brought in the likes of Steven Caulker, Leroy Fer, Sandro and Rio Ferdinand after returning to the Premier League by winning the Championship play-offs last season.

Harry Redknapp has been linked with a move for Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor ahead of Monday's transfer deadline as he attempts to guide Rangers out of the relegation zone.

Fernandes, though, is not expecting to be active in the transfer market.

He tweeted: "No more cheque book. We have good players. Bought all the players manager asked for in summer. Our players not mercenaries. Good guys.

"If something interesting comes up we would look at it. But I'm not optimistic. Given the right motivation, tactics and coaching we can achieve much more."

Rangers have still not picked up a point away from home this season after losing 3-1 at Stoke City on Saturday.

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Redknapp leaves QPR

3 February 2015

782952header.jpg

Harry Redknapp has tendered his resignation and left his position as QPR manager.

QPR manager Harry Redknapp has left the club after tendering his resignation.

Redknapp took over at Loftus Road in November 2012 and, after initially overseeing their relegation to the Championship, helped the club back into the Premier League in 2014.

However, Redknapp leaves the club 19th in the top flight having lost all 11 of their away matches this term.

The 67-year-old is set to undergo knee replacement surgery in the coming weeks, with Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey placed in temporary charge of the team until further notice.

Redknapp said in a QPR statement: "I have had such a fantastic time at QPR. I would like to thank the board, the players and all my staff, and especially the supporters who have been absolutely fantastic to me since I arrived at the club for their tremendous support.

"Sadly I need immediate surgery on my knee which is going to stop me from doing my job in the coming weeks. It means I won't be able to be out on the training pitch every day, and if I can't give 100 per-cent I feel it’s better for someone else to take over the reins.

"My relationship with [chairman] Tony Fernandes has been one of the highlights of my footballing career and I wish the club every success. I am confident they will survive in the Premier League this year."

Chairman Fernandes added: "I would like to take this opportunity to thank Harry for everything he has done for QPR during his time in charge.

"We part on good terms and I would personally like to wish him all the best for the future."

Tim Sherwood, Glenn Hoddle and Ferdinand are among the early favourites to take over from former Tottenham boss Redknapp on a permanent basis.

QPR sit a point adift of safety and visit Sunderland in the Premier League next Tuesday.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sunderland winger Johnson to undergo thumb surgery

3 February 2015

782831header.jpg

Sunderland will be without Adam Johnson for their FA Cup fourth-round replay at Fulham due to a thumb injury.

Adam Johnson will miss Sunderland's FA Cup fourth-round replay at Fulham on Tuesday to undergo surgery on a minor thumb injury.

The Championship side held Sunderland to a goalless draw at the Stadium of Light last month, meaning a replay will decide who goes on to face Bradford City in round five.

Johnson, who scored a hat-trick on his last visit to Craven Cottage, has ruled himself of the encounter, but says he will not be sidelined for long.

"Unfortunately I won't be there," he told the Sunderland Echo. "I'm getting an operation on my thumb.

"I'll be missing this one.

"I just have to get it done, it's not a serious thing.

"But I need the wound to heal. It's the risk of infection that's keeping me out.

"It's the best time to do it with the games coming up, though.

"I love playing at Craven Cottage, so I'm disappointed to miss it, but I have to have it done, so hopefully the lads can get through without me.”

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Coutinho pens extended Liverpool deal

3 February 2015

782934header.jpg

Philippe Coutinho has committed his future to Liverpool by signing a new long-term deal.

Liverpool midfielder Philippe Coutinho has agreed a new long-term contract.

Coutinho, who moved to Anfield from Inter in January 2013, was already under contract with Liverpool until 2018 but he has been rewarded with a renewed deal on the back of some impressive performances in recent weeks.

The 22-year-old laid on both goals during Saturday's 2-0 Premier League win over West Ham and declared his delight at agreeing a new contract.

"Today I've committed my future to the club and for this I'm feeling very pleased," he told the club's website. "This club is great and the fans have always supported me, so I've been eager to sign this new deal since conversations started. Today is a very happy day.

"It means so much. This club has given me the opportunity to play and believed in me even though I hadn't been playing regularly at my previous club.

"I've had a great reception since my first day here. As I always say, Liverpool is a big family and I'm a happy person here."

Manager Brendan Rodgers added: "I'm delighted that Philippe has committed his long-term future to us; he is clearly going to be a big part of our story in the years to come.

"The most exciting thing isn't just how good he is now, it's the further improvement he can make in his game. In terms of potential, he can still become even better.

"He deserves all the credit in the world for the attitude he has shown since coming to Liverpool. He arrived as a young man, in a country he'd never lived in before and joined a club where expectations are high.

"He has shown a willingness to listen, learn and improve."

Coutinho has scored twice in 31 appearances across all competitions this season.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Anderson completes Internacional move

3 February 2015

782986header.jpg

Anderson's time at Manchester United has come to an end, with Brazilian side Internacional announcing his arrival on a four-year contract.

Brazilian club Internacional have completed the signing of Anderson from Manchester United, announcing his arrival on a four-year contract.

The midfielder returns home after nine years in Europe with Porto and latterly United, where he generally failed to live up to high expectations.

After winning two Primeira Liga titles with Porto, Anderson earned a lucrative transfer to United in July 2007 and made regular first-team appearances in his first season with the club, which culminated in a UEFA Champions League triumph.

However, the 26-year-old struggled with injuries and was limited to sporadic outings for much of his time at Old Trafford.

He has featured in just five Premier League matches since the start of the 2013-14 season, and spent time out on loan with Fiorentina in Serie A last term.

A permanent move to Italy failed to materialise and, with Louis van Gaal opting to utilise alternative options at United, Anderson has now exited on a free transfer.

His only start for United in the current campaign came in a humiliating 4-0 League Cup defeat at third-tier side MK Dons.