• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gomis will settle at Swansea - Jenkins

3 February 2015

782845header.jpg

Bafetimbi Gomis will show what he can do after committing himself to Swansea City, according to chairman Huw Jenkins.

Swansea City chairman Huw Jenkins has backed Bafetimbi Gomis to prove his worth after the previously unsettled striker reaffirmed his commitment to the club.

France international Gomis, who became frustrated at a lack of game time prior to Wilfried Bony's departure to Manchester City, sparked intense speculation last month when he spoke of the club's alleged broken promises on French television.

Crystal Palace and Schalke were among the clubs linked with a move for Gomis, but the 29-year-old took to Twitter on Monday to reassure fans of his happiness in south Wales and declare himself a 'Jack' - a name used to describe people from Swansea.

And Jenkins believes Gomis has the ability to move on from the uncertainty surrounding his future.

"I am sure he will settle here," he is quoted as saying by the South Wales Evening Post. "He is happy living here and so are his family, and he takes on board the fact that we made a big effort and commitment to bring him here last summer.

"Yes, ideally he would like to have played more in the first half of the season, but now he has the chance to do that and I expect him to show what a good player he is.

"When we signed Gomis, we felt he would be the right type for us.

"We didn't know how long Wilfried Bony would be with us and we took the decision to bring Gomis in.

"There were one or two bits of interest in him during the window, but you can understand that because there are not many strikers out there. He will always stand out as a player people will look at.

"But now he has the chance to start regularly and to show everybody what he can do."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sullivan explains transfer inactivity

3 February 2015

782943header.jpg

A deal to bring an "experienced Premier League striker" to West Ham fell through on Monday, thwarting Carlton Cole's move to West Brom.

West Ham co-chairman David Sullivan has moved to explain the reasons behind the club's deadline-day inactivity.

Carlton Cole looked to be on his way to West Bromwich Albion on Monday, but West Ham were unable to complete a deal to bring in a replacement.

The man thought to be in line to fill that void was Tottenham frontman Emmanuel Adebayor, but reports suggest an agreement to take the Togo international to Upton Park was blocked by White Hart Lane chairman Daniel Levy, who considered West Ham to be direct rivals.

"It was widely reported that Carlton Cole was in talks to join West Bromwich Albion, but we made clear he could only leave if a suitable replacement was found," Sullivan explained in a statement released on the club's website.

"We thought we had one experienced Premier League striker lined up, only for his club to pull out of the deal at the last minute.

"I think we take the reasons they gave as a backhanded compliment.

"With our improvements on the field and our increased success off it meaning we are now viewed as rivals that shouldn't be dealt with."

Sullivan also claims the club were after at least two defenders, with Winston Reid apparently reluctant to sign a new contract.

"We prioritised that position and targeted two experienced Premier League defenders but could not reach an agreement with them over the length of their deals.

"I can assure you‎ that the absence of any deals was certainly not through lack of trying but I am satisfied that doing no deadline-day business is better than doing the wrong business."

His comments come after fellow co-chairman David Gold apologised for urging the club's fans not to go to bed on deadline day.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Swansea receive mixed injury news

3 February 2015

783030header.jpg

Marvin Emnes faces three weeks on the sidelines with a hamstring strain, but Swansea City team-mate Modou Barrow has avoided a lay-off.

Swansea City have received mixed news on the injury front following Sunday's victory over Southampton, with Modou Barrow declared fit and Marvin Emnes ruled out for up to three weeks with a hamstring strain.

Emnes was forced to make an early exit through injury during the first half of his side's 1-0 win at St Mary's Stadium, with Barrow taking his place.

The latter was then taken from the field on a stretcher in the closing minutes of the match, having been the victim of a rash challenge that saw Southampton's Ryan Bertrand receive a straight red card.

Swansea confirmed on Tuesday that Emnes faces a short spell on the sidelines, but Barrow appears to have avoided a lay-off.

A short statement from Swansea read: "Barrow has recovered from the injury - on the back of his knee - and took part in training ahead of this Saturday's home clash with Sunderland."

Swansea could welcome back two central midfielders when Sunderland visit the Liberty Stadium.

Leon Britton has returned to training after recovering from a virus, while Ki Sung-yueng - who enjoyed a loan spell at Sunderland last season - is due back from Asian Cup duty with South Korea later this week.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA charges Van Gaal

4 February 2015

783595header.jpg

The Football Association charges Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal for comments he made after last month's draw at Cambridge United.

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has been charged by the Football Association for comments he made following his side's 0-0 FA Cup draw at Cambridge United last month.

Van Gaal's men were held to a 0-0 draw by their League Two opponents on January 23, prompting a replay on Tuesday that Manchester United won 3-0.

After the stalemate at the Abbey Stadium, Van Gaal told reporters: "Every aspect of the match is against us - the pitch, the referee. Everything that you can think about this is against you."

An FA statement on Wednesday read: "Louis van Gaal has been charged by The FA for media comments he made after Manchester United’s FA Cup fourth-round match against Cambridge United on Friday 23 January 2015.

"It is alleged that the Manchester United manager’s comments allege and/or imply bias on the part of the match referee and/or bring the game into disrepute.

"He has until 6pm on Monday 9 February 2015 to respond to the charge."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Adebayor: Levy blocked my Tottenham exit

25486DE400000578-0-image-a-1_1422985135107.jpg

Feb 4, 2015 18:04:00

The Togolese striker was the subject of approaches from several clubs but he has now revealed that the Spurs chairman stepped in to stop him leaving on deadline day

Emmanuel Adebayor has revealed that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy blocked his exit from the club at the end of the January transfer window.

The Togolese striker appeared set to leave White Hart Lane after falling out of favour under manager Mauricio Pochettino, making just 11 Premier League appearances in 2014-15.

West Ham made a deadline day move to sign Adebayor on loan having seen their attempt to recall Mauro Zarate from QPR fail, and the striker was understood to be keen on the prospect of joining the Hammers.

But the 30-year-old has now revealed that Levy personally intervened to stop any such switch, due to the rivalry between the two clubs.

The striker told Sky Sports News: “The club decided to send me out on loan, which I was pleased with.

"I was lucky enough to have five good clubs in my hand. I decided to go to three, and then when I decided the one I wanted to go, Mr Levy was against it, because they’re a rival.

"He decided I should stay at the club and I’m happy to stay at the club and do my job."

Adebayor has scored just two goals in all competitions this season, and has slipped behind Harry Kane - who signed a new contract on deadline day - and Roberto Soldado in the pecking order in north London.

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes: Chips banned because some United players were fat

5 February 2015

783893header.jpg

Former Manchester United manager David Moyes admitted to banning chips during his brief spell at Old Trafford.

David Moyes said he prohibited the consumption of chips at Manchester United because he felt some of the players were overweight.

Moyes came in for criticism following his sacking last April, with former United centre-back Rio Ferdinand critical of the Scot's decision to clear chips of the menu.

Eating low-fat chips had been a ritual under Alex Ferguson prior to Moyes' arrival in Manchester.

Moyes - now in charge of La Liga outfit of Real Sociedad - has opened up about the decision to scrap chips in an interview with Four Four Two magazine, claiming some of his players were fat.

"Yes, I did ban chips," said Moyes, who only lasted 10 months of his six-year contract at United.

"It was because a couple of players were overweight and I didn't think chips were good for their diet."

Moyes also admitted that he was disappointed with the reception he received when United travelled to Goodison Park in 2013-14.

After 11 years as manager at Everton, Moyes returned to a chorus of boos on Merseyside as United crashed to a 2-0 defeat against his former club.

Moyes, who was sacked just days after that loss, said: "I wasn't surprised, because I know how supporters react and I had left their club. But I was disappointed.

"I got Everton competing at the top end of the league with a mid-table budget. I gave everything I could in trying to make Everton the best I could. It was a long process but we did it - my staff, my players and others at the club.

"We had some glorious nights at Goodison and the fans were superb. I've got huge affection for Everton, it was my life for over a decade."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sherwood heavily backed as QPR move on from Redknapp regime

4 February 2015

783366header.jpg

The clear-out has continued at QPR, with two of Harry Redknapp's assistants leaving the club following his resignation.

QPR have continued the process of moving on from the Harry Redknapp era with a restructure of the backroom staff at Loftus Road.

Redknapp resigned from his post as manager on Tuesday with the club second bottom in the Premier League following a run of seven games without a win in all competitions.

Another former Tottenham boss, Tim Sherwood, is heavily favoured to take the helm in west London as QPR try to salvage their top-flight status.

And the club have seemingly cleared a path for Sherwood's arrival at the club, with first-team coach Glenn Hoddle and assistant Joe Jordan following Redknapp out of the exit door.

Additionally, Les Ferdinand has been given the title of director of football after previously serving as head of football operations.

Ferdinand will oversee Chris Ramsey and Kevin Bond, who will be assisted by goalkeeping coach Kevin Hitchcock in caretaker charge ahead of Saturday's clash with Southampton.

"Everyone knows what this club means to me and if anything the last few months have only enhanced the feelings I have for QPR," Ferdinand told the club's official website.

"Working closely with [chairman and owner] Tony [Fernandes] and the board, I can assure QPR fans that they are desperate to create a lasting legacy at Loftus Road and the role of director of football will be hugely important in terms of where we want to take this club in the future.

"Some of the management courses I've taken over the last few years were with a role like this in mind, so I couldn't be more delighted."

Fernandes added: "I've been really impressed with the job Les has done in his short time here and as such I am keen for his role to evolve, with the clear mandate of assisting us in developing and evolving the footballing department, from the academy to the first team.

"This is a new strategy for us. Our recruitment policy at QPR is changing. We want to develop a philosophy of buying young, hungry players, who can go on to forge decent careers with us.

"We've made a number of mistakes in the transfer market over the last few years and it's something we want to change. We don't want to be a buying club – we want to nurture young talent and build a young, ambitious team."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

United can never replace Ferguson, says Mendes

4 February 2015

783329header.jpg

Louis Van Gaal is starting to show signs of progress at Manchester United, but Jorge Mendes feels he is not on the level of Alex Ferguson.

Jorge Mendes believes Manchester United can never properly replace Alex Ferguson despite their recent signs of improvement under manager Louis van Gaal.

Ferguson retired from football in May 2013, with Scottish compatriot David Moyes coming in as his successor.

Moyes - now at Real Sociedad - was sacked in April last year towards the end of a season that saw United miss out on European qualification as they finished a disappointing seventh in the Premier League.

Former Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Ajax and Netherlands boss Van Gaal has enjoyed better fortune in his maiden season at Old Trafford, with United sitting third in the Premier League and progressing to the fifth round of the FA Cup.

However, agent Mendes - who represents United duo Radamel Falcao and Angel di Maria as well as the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Diego Costa - insists they would be doing much better with Ferguson still at the helm.

"It's completely impossible to find someone like Sir Alex Ferguson because he's a god, he's a genius and to find a genius is very difficult," Mendes told BBC Sport.

"You have one in England - Jose Mourinho. Having Sir Alex Ferguson ensures at this moment you have 12 or 15 points more.

"He's finished his career, but he's someone that's the difference."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ospina vows to win Arsenal starting role

4 February 2015

783589header.jpg

Arsene Wenger is adamant Wojciech Szczesny is his number one keeper, but David Ospina wants to change that.

David Ospina has vowed to continue his fight to become first-choice goalkeeper at Arsenal following his impressive recent form between the posts.

The Colombia international has kept four clean sheets since taking over from Wojciech Szczesny, who was dropped by manager Arsene Wenger for reportedly smoking in the showers following a 2-0 defeat to Southampton on New Year's Day.

Three of his clean sheets have come in the Premier League, with the other in the FA Cup third-round win over Hull City.

And, while Wenger has insisted that Szczesny is still his number one goalkeeper, Ospina is determined to win the job and showcase himself in a league filled with high-quality shot-stoppers.

"I see it as a big responsibility to come to a great club like Arsenal," Ospina explained to the club's official website.

"It is a dream come true, now it is my job to make the most of this opportunity that has come my way.

"I always watched the Premier League when I was in Colombia because that was one of the leagues they showed on television.

"At Arsenal we have very good goalkeepers in the shape of Wojciech Szczesny and Emiliano Martinez.

"The Premier League has always had top-quality goalkeepers.

"There's De Gea, Hugo Lloris, Joe Hart - they're great keepers who've proved their worth over the course of many seasons and are continuing to do so now."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Redknapp departure not down to lack of signings

3 February 2015

783117header.jpg

A lack of deadline day activity had no impact on Harry Redknapp's decision to resign as QPR manager, the 67-year-old has insisted.

Harry Redknapp insists that QPR's lack of transfer activity played no part in his decision to leave the club.

Redknapp announced on Tuesday that he would be quitting as manager of the Premier League strugglers, who failed to make a signing on deadline day.

And having cited a need for immediate knee surgery as the reason for his departure, the 67-year-old has reiterated that the club's inability to add to their squad had no impact on his resignation.

"It wasn't any factor at all in me deciding I was going to call it a day," he told Sky Sports News.

"When I told Tony [QPR chairman Tony Fernandes] I thought that we'd do it tomorrow but then it came out in one of the papers so we decided to announce it.

"I had a good relationship with the players, the owners and the fans. I've got no regrets. It's the right thing for everybody. It's right for the club."

QPR, who did draft in Mauro Zarate earlier in the window, were linked with deadline-day loan moves for Tottenham forward Emmanuel Adebayor and West Ham winger Matt Jarvis, but both deals failed to materialise.

Redknapp was adamant that the Loftus Road outfit were in no position to pay over-the-odds for signings, and believes the squad have the quality to avoid relegation.

“We tried to find players but we couldn't. Tony was non-stop until late on but it was too expensive for the club to do," Redknapp said.

"You don't want to start chasing for players. In the [Adebayor] deal, Tottenham were fine to deal with but it wasn't one to do.

"When I first went there were a lot of players that needed moving on and you can't bring players in just for the sake of it. There wasn't anyone who was going to improve us that we could get.

"We invested in the summer. We've been unlucky with one or two injuries and there's more to come from that squad – it's definitely a squad that can stay in the Premier League."

Former England coach Glenn Hoddle, part of Redknapp's coaching team at Loftus Road, also left the club on Tuesday.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Anderson blames injuries for disappointing end to United career

4 February 2015

783555header.jpg

Former Manchester United midfielder Anderson said injuries were to blame for a forgettable end to his career at Old Trafford.

After completing his return to Brazil with Internacional, Anderson told reporters that returning from a knee injury too soon led to his demise at Manchester United.

Anderson ended his eight-year association with United by signing a four-year contract at Brazilian Serie A outfit Internacional on Tuesday.

The 26-year-old midfielder arrived at Old Trafford with much fanfare in 2007 and went onto win four Premier League titles as well as the UEFA Champions League.

But Anderson struggled for form and fitness throughout his time in Manchester, featuring in just five league matches last season, while he only made one start under Louis van Gaal this term.

Now back in Brazil for the first time in nine years, Anderson revealed injuries played their part in what was a disappointing end to his United career that had promised so much.

"I played for eight years for Manchester. I would like to thank the club. In my first four years I won everything there, Champions League, Premier League and Clubs World Cup," the former Porto midfielder is quoted as saying by the Guardian.

"I had a knee injury and returned to play again too fast. I played but the knees were not equal and I got myself injured again."

Anderson, who was often criticised about his weight at United, added: "A player will always be criticised. I had injuries in the past, but I have to be quiet right now and answer in the field.

"It will be a pleasure play in a club such as Internacional. I want to be happy as I was in other clubs. I'm coming back to Porto Alegre because Inter went after me. The president gave me attention. I was training [at United] but not playing."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alexis Sanchez could play in north London derby

Arsenal forward will be given one last chance to prove his fitness ahead of Saturday's clash with Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane

alexis_3190523b.jpg

Chance: Alexis Sanchez could yet make a surprise appearance in Arsenal's clash with Tottenham Photo: AP

By Jeremy Wilson
2:55PM GMT 06 Feb 2015

Alexis Sanchez is going to be given one final chance on Friday to prove his fitness for Saturday’s north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur.

Arsène Wenger had said on Thursday that Sanchez would be ruled out of the game – and he remains a major doubt with his hamstring injury – but the 26-year-old believes that he can play.

“He wants to play, of course, he's very keen, he feels he can defy the medical people because he is so keen to play that he thinks he can get over strains,” said Wenger.

Asked if there was any chance of him changing his mind and selecting Sanchez, Wenger said: “I don't know yet, I need medical advice on that, and I need as well to see what he can do in training. We have enough offensive options, we are not short. I think we have enough offensive power, if all of us perform individually and collectively, we can get above that.”

Wenger also confirmed that both Francis Coquelin and Chuba Akpom have signed new four-year contracts while Danny Welbeck is back in the squad to face Tottenham.

Of Arsenal’s activity in the transfer window, Wenger said: “I am very happy because for me the target during this transfer window was on two fronts. The first was to get a defender in and we did that. The second is as well to extend the contracts of Coquelin and Akpom. That's what I did as well so we are very happy with what we did.”

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal to contest FA charge

6 February 2015

784839header.jpg

Louis van Gaal is to contest his Football Association charge for comments made after last month's goalless draw with Cambridge United.

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has confirmed he is to contest his charge for comments made in relation to match referee Chris Foy after the FA Cup draw with Cambridge United.

After his side were held to a surprise goalless draw with the League Two side at the Abbey Stadium, Van Gaal told reporters that "every aspect of the match is against us".

"The pitch, the referee. Everything that you can think about this is against you," the Dutchman, whose team won the fourth-round replay 3-0, added.

That landed him in hot water with the Football Association, who confirmed the charge in a statement that said his comments "allege and/or imply bias on the part of the match referee and/or bring the game into disrepute".

Speaking on Friday, Van Gaal was asked whether he will appeal, and answered: "Yes of course. Of course.

"You as the media have confirmed it and it's always like that so I said in front of the game, after the game, only in meaning that general feeling of everybody for the underdog.

"You can confirm as media that I never say something about the referee in all the matches I have played.

"When I say that, then I am maybe right to be charged but I don't say it.

"I am not angry, I am very disappointed. I am now for nearly 30 years a trainer-coach or manager and I have never been charged.

"Up to now I don't think I said something wrong.

"I said in the press conference the same phrases, because I know in advance that everything is in favour of the underdog."

United face a trip to Preston North End in the fifth round as they go in search of the club's first FA Cup triumph since 2004.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

I put Berahino in the naughty chair - Pulis

6 February 2015

784747header.jpg

Saido Berahino has been in the "naughty chair" following his comments about wanting to leave West Brom, according to manager Tony Pulis.

Tony Pulis says Saido Berahino has spent time in the "naughty chair" after hinting he would like to leave West Brom for one of the Premier League's leading clubs at the end of the season.

The highly rated striker stated earlier this week that he wanted to help his current club avoid relegation, but was keen to move on to "bigger things" thereafter.

Amid reported interest from Liverpool, Pulis stated there had been "no phone calls whatsoever" about Berahino's availability and urged the England under-21 international to focus on becoming a great at The Hawthorns.

"He's been in the naughty chair, but he's okay, it's not too far away from my desk," the Welshman quipped. "But I feel a bit sorry for him in some respects, speaking to him.

"The question I think was: 'Would he like to go on and play in a top-four team', and everyone wants to play in a top-four team if they can.

"Sometimes, I really do worry about young players - the advice they're getting and the people who are around them.

"With the media attention that surrounds the Premier League and young players, especially those with great talent, it's a minefield for them at times.

"They have to realise that whatever they say - if they're bring flippant or they don't think about it - they'll be jumped on.

"The most important thing Saido has to do is not to talk about what he wants to do but actually go out there and do it.

"That's what all the good players do and, if he gets to a stage where he's doing that, well then clubs will be interested. It's not got to that stage yet.

"The priority for him is to stop listening to all the kerfuffle going on and get down to what he's paid for, which is playing football for this club."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini: Jovetic can still have City future

6 February 2015

784786header.jpg

Stevan Jovetic has been left out of Manchester City's UEFA Champions League squad, but Manuel Pellegrini says he has a future.

Manuel Pellegrini insists Stevan Jovetic's days at Manchester City are not necessarily numbered, despite his UEFA Champions League omission.

The Montenegro striker was dropped from City's squad for the latter stages of Europe's premier club competition on Thursday, with January signing Wilfried Bony taking his place.

Jovetic's City career has never really taken off following his move from Fiorentina in July 2013, but Pellegrini says the 25-year-old can still have a future with the Premier League champions.

He said: "I don't think that one thing is linked with the other,

"It's very important for Stevan to try to play now until the end of the season. To try and play as much games as he can, try not to be injured and have a high performance every time he plays.

"At the end of the season we analyse, not just with Stevan, but also with the rest of the squad which will continue next year."

The City boss added: "It's always difficult to take a player out of the list, but we have restrictions this year [for breaching Financial Fair Play regulations].

"We bought Bony because we need another striker - a box player. And in the position of Jovetic maybe we have lots of other options.

"It's a difficult decision, but I think it's the best for the squad."

Jovetic started only one of City's six Champions League games so far this season and has made only 14 Premier League appearances - nine of those as a substitute.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nasri and Mangala fit for Hull clash

6 February 2015

784645header.jpg

Manchester City may be five points adrift in the Premier League title race, but they now have a fully fit squad to choose from.

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has confirmed that Samir Nasri and Eliaquim Mangala are fit for Saturday's Premier League meeting with Hull City.

Nasri has missed the last four games because of a calf complaint, while defender Mangala has been struggling with a groin injury.

However, the pair are available for this weekend's clash at the Etihad Stadium, leaving Yaya Toure and Wilfried Bony - who will play for Ivory Coast in Sunday's Africa Cup of Nations final with Ghana - as the hosts' only absentees.

"We have no injuries, we have a full squad. Mangala and Nasri are fine and will be in the squad," Pellegrini said.

"Samir Nasri is important for the team but we cannot just think that because he can play we will win."

Both of City's Premier League title wins have been secured on the final day of the season and they will need to fight back in order to claim a third, with Chelsea leading the way by five points.

But Pellegrini believes last weekend's 1-1 draw at Chelsea could be a turning point in his side's campaign.

"Other teams will drop points. The last two times this team has won the title, they’ve come from behind," Pellegrini added.

"It was not a good January but I believe that the game against Chelsea can be the switch for our performances."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Shawcross out for up to three weeks

6 February 2015

784721header.jpg

A back injury is set to keep Stoke City captain Ryan Shawcross out of action for up to three weeks, the club have confirmed.

Stoke City captain Ryan Shawcross is expected to be out for three weeks due to the back injury he sustained in last weekend's 3-1 victory over QPR.

The centre-back was brought off in the 42nd minute of Saturday's clash at the Britannia Stadium, having missed a trip to Leicester City earlier in January.

And he will now sit out Sunday's Premier League match at Newcastle United, as well as the subsequent home game against Manchester City and an FA Cup fifth-round tie with Blackburn Rovers.

"Unfortunately Ryan will be missing now for a couple of weeks," Stoke manager Mark Hughes told the club's official website.

"That is a big disappointment for us because he is obviously an important player for us and the captain, so he will be a miss.

"We do have other players who are capable of filling in though so it is a chance for them to come in and make a mark, just as they have done in the past."

Marc Muniesa replaced Shawcross against QPR and partnered Philipp Wollscheid in the heart of Stoke's defence.

Hughes - who will again be without left-back Erik Pieters this weekend - is hopeful striker Jonathan Walters will be able to feature at Newcastle despite a knee complaint.

Walters scored his first Premier League hat-trick in Saturday's triumph over QPR, but has not trained since.

"Jon hasn't trained since the game because of a little problem with his knee, which we are trying to manage at the moment," Hughes added.

"Hopefully that will have settled in time for the game on Sunday – we are hopeful of having him available to us."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kim joins Mackay at Wigan

6 February 2015

784600header.jpg

Kim Bo-kyung was at the centre of racism allegations surrounding Malky Mackay, but has decided to link up with the Scot at Wigan Athletic.

Wigan Athletic have completed the signing of the player at the centre of the racism controversy surrounding manager Malky Mackay, Kim Bo-kyung, until the end of the season.

Former Cardiff City boss Mackay - who was appointed by Wigan in November - and their ex-head of recruitment Iain Moody were reported to the Football Association (FA) in August over the exchange of alleged racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.

The pair were said to have made derogatory comments about South Korea international Kim in a text when he first signed for Cardiff in July 2012.

Kim's agent Lee Yeung-joong later insisted that the midfielder received no unfair treatment at the hands of Cardiff or Mackay, who Lee has again praised following the announcement of his client's move to the Championship club.

"When Kim Bo first joined Cardiff in 2012, Malky showed him so much warmth and understanding and helped him integrate into the British culture, on and off the field," Lee told Wigan's official website.

"This experience made the decision to come to Wigan now a very easy one."

Kim - released by Cardiff last month - added: "I am very happy to be joining up with the gaffer again. I really enjoyed working with him in the past and he helped me so much in my career.

"He gave me the chance to fulfil my dream of playing in England and I am now looking forward so much to working with him again.

"Since becoming a free agent, we had various offers but when the chance came to be with the gaffer again at Wigan, this really was the only place I wanted to come."

The FA investigation into Mackay and Moody is still ongoing, while Wigan chairman Dave Whelan was banned from football for six weeks and fined £50,000 in December for insulting comments he made about Jewish and Chinese people.

Kim joins Wigan with the club second-bottom of the Championship, seven points adrift of safety.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

916732_thumb.jpg

Everton 0-0 Liverpool: No derby joy for Gerrard after Goodison stalemate
The Reds captain's presumptive final appearance in this fixture was low on drama, with neither side able to carve out a good enough chance to decide it either way

915892_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Chelsea's title? Seven points is nothing
The Blues increased their lead over Manchester City at the top of the table but the Portuguese coach still believes his side can be caught in the race for the title

916152_thumb.jpg

QPR 0-1 Southampton: Late, great Mane sinks sorry Rangers
The Saints striker scored a late winner as the managerless R's, after Harry Redknapp left the club on Tuesday, were defeated in front of their home fans at Loftus Road

915572_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa 1-2 Chelsea: Ivanovic the hero for Mourinho's men
Jores Okore ended the Villans' goal drought just shy of 11 hours with an equaliser to Eden Hazard's opener but the Serbian defender saw them off with a powerful effort

915962_thumb.jpg

Manchester City 1-1 Hull City: Milner rescues champions from shock defeat
The Premier League title holders looked to be falling eight points behind after David Meyler's first-half goal before the England midfielder bailed them out at the death

915502_thumb.jpg

Leicester City 0-1 Crystal Palace: Ledley lifts Pardew's men to fifth win in six games
The Welshman scored the only goal of the game early in the second half to earn a crucial victory for the Eagles who continue their excellent form under their new manager

677182_thumb.jpg

Swansea City 1-1 Sunderland: Ki rescues hosts after Defoe opener
The Welsh side came from behind to earn a point against the Black Cats after the South Korean international cancelled out the former England internationals earlier effort

914122_thumb.jpg

Tottenham 2-1 Arsenal: Kane the hero as Spurs come from behind in derby thriller
Mesut Ozil gave Arsene Wenger's side the advantage early on but the young striker's 21st and 22nd goals of the season turned things around after the break at White Hart Lane

Ambulance

Alfrescian
Loyal
halo wolfsbird ho sng boh

915892_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Chelsea's title? Seven points is nothing
The Blues increased their lead over Manchester City at the top of the table but the Portuguese coach still believes his side can be caught in the race for the title