• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Dzeko: Chelsea are Manchester City's biggest threat

447172_heroa.jpg

Sep 9, 2014 15:16:00

The Bosnia-Herzegovina international striker believes the Blues are top of the group of contenders for the Premier League title as his side prepare to face Arsenal

Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko has warned of the danger posed by Arsenal ahead of the match on Saturday - though he maintains Chelsea are his side's biggest title rivals.

The Bosnian, who is set to line up for Manuel Pellegrini's men at the Emirates Stadium after the international break, sees Arsene Wenger's side as a genuine challenger for City's Premier League crown.

"[The Arsenal game] will be difficult but I'm an optimist," he told the club's official website.

"As with every season, there are several teams that will battle for the title of champions in England.

"This season Chelsea might be the most serious challenger but we mustn't ignore Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, or [Manchester] United, who will certainly be much stronger than last year. After all, everyone has got stronger and everyone wants to be first."

The 28-year-old penned a new four-year deal at the Etihad Stadium in August and says that he had no hesitation in putting pen to paper after winning the Premier League and League Cup last season.

"The past season was one of the best in my career and, in the end, we reached the title of champions of England, the second in the past three seasons," he enthused.

"We succeeded in winning the [League] Cup and I am really happy how everything played out in the past season, both for the club and for myself.

"As far as the contract, in general I had no dilemma around an extension. I am happy at City, the manager believes in me, which is certainly important, and I give my all on the pitch and altogether it means quite a lot to me because Manchester is a club with great ambitions and I easily decided to stay put."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

United set to announce record revenues

Manchester United are expected to announce record revenues on Wednesday of around £420million for last season.

453535286.jpg

Wednesday 10th September 2014

The figure includes a £25million profit helped by sales of two million replica shirts worldwide.

The annual results should also include details of pay-offs to former manager David Moyes and his coaching team, but the figures will not reflect any financial losses incurred from failing to qualify for Europe for this season.

The key results have already been flagged up in a prospectus released in August for a new release of shares on the New York Stock Exchange.

The prospectus states that total revenue is expected to be approximately £429million to £434million, an increase of 18 to 19 per cent. By comparison Real Madrid's turnover was £480million but that includes player sales.

Profit for the year is expected to be £23million to £25million - significantly down from the £146.4million for 2012-13 but that was mainly due to a one-off tax credit.

Approximately five million Manchester United-branded licensed products were sold last year including two million replica shirts.

Commercial revenue is expected to be up 25 per cent to around £190million due to pre-season tours and higher sponsorship renewals.

Operating costs are due to be up 20 per cent to £373million mainly due to expenditure on transfer fees and higher player wages.

The prospectus states: "The Manchester United jersey and training wear are completely redesigned for each season. The annual launch of the new jersey is always a much-anticipated day for our global community of followers.

"The result is a robust wholesale apparel business that sold approximately five million items of Manchester United branded licensed products, including approximately two million replica jerseys, around the world in the last year."

The debt should be confirmed as £350million, with the cost of paying off the debt a similar level to the profits.

The prospectus said: "We currently estimate that our net finance costs will be approximately £26.5million to £28.5million."

Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward will take part in a conference call with investors after the results are released.

Meanwhile, Ander Herrera, who arrived from Athletic Bilbao over the summer, is hopeful of making his comeback in the game.

The midfielder has been restricted to just one competitive United run-out so far because of an ankle complaint, but wrote on Twitter on Monday: "Training hard and looking forward to this next game at Old Trafford!"

There could also be a home Red Devils debut for Angel di Maria, the winger the club broke the British transfer record to sign last month.

United striker Robin van Persie is keen to get back working among the new signings once he finishes his international duties this week with Holland.

Speaking in the Austrian Alps, where the Dutch team have been training, 31-year-old Van Persie - who has also expressed his desire to play at the 2018 World Cup and keep his career going through to the age of 40 - said: "I can't wait to go and train and play with the world class players we have signed - wow!

"That feeling, that we are going to perform well, has only got stronger after the buying of players over the last weeks. I find it very exciting, the arrival of all those new players.

"For me personally, it's brilliant to go and play with some of the best players in the world. It's great that I can go and train and play with them every day.''

United wide man Ashley Young is also convinced the future is bright for the club.

"I definitely think things are going to turn for us and I would say to the fans there is nothing to worry about, we're going to come good," Young told Inside United magazine.

"It's just like the manager has said, just believe in the philosophy and how we're playing and keep believing that we're going to turn this round because we do."

Sir Bobby Charlton has echoed the sentiment that United supporters should not be too fearful about what lies ahead.

"We've got nothing to worry about," said the club's all-time leading goalscorer, quoted by the Manchester Evening News.

"He's got the world at his feet, the new manager.

"What we need to do now is put the players in the right places and the ball in the right place. But that's harder than it sounds."

There was further United fitness news on Tuesday, with defender Rafael writing on his Instagram account: "Back in training ready to help. Let's go."

Rafael has not featured yet this term due to a groin injury sustained in pre-season.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Jones injury to be assessed

Manchester United medical staff are expected to assess Phil Jones on Tuesday in order to discover the extent of the injury he suffered while on England duty.

Captain%20Wayne%20Rooney%20of%20England%20gives%20instructions%20to%20Phil%20Jones%20of%20England.jpg

Tuesday 9th September 2014

The 22-year-old defender limped off in the 77th minute of England’s 2-0 European Qualifiers win over Switzerland on Monday with what appeared to be a hamstring problem.

The Football Association has provided no information regarding the injury.

Manchester United’s next game is against QPR at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Manager Louis van Gaal could hand debuts to a number of players as he goes in search of his first win as United boss.

Jones’ fellow England defender Luke Shaw is understood to be ready for selection following a hamstring injury.

Shaw was criticised by Van Gaal for lacking the required fitness in pre-season.

Another defender, Marcos Rojo, has received his international clearance and will be available for Sunday’s game.

Ander Herrera, who joined United in the summer from Athletic Bilbao, is fit after suffering an ankle injury in United’s opening-game defeat by Swansea.

Herrera wrote on Twitter on Monday: "Training hard and looking forward to this next game at Old Trafford!"

Two deadline day recruits, striker Radamel Falcao and the versatile Daley Blind, will also be available to Van Gaal, who is expected to give another transfer-window signing, Angel di Maria, his home debut.

United striker Robin van Persie has spoken of his eagerness to start working with United's new signings following the international break, during which he has been with the Netherlands national side.

Speaking in the Austrian Alps, where the Dutch team have been training, 31-year-old Van Persie said: "I can't wait to go and train and play with the world-class players we have signed - wow!

"That feeling, that we are going to perform well, has only got stronger after the buying of players over the last weeks. I find it very exciting, the arrival of all those new players.

"For me personally, it's brilliant to go and play with some of the best players in the world. It's great that I can go and train and play with them every day."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

European absence to take financial toll on Manchester United

Reuters
September 10, 2014, 9:24 pm

2014_09_10t112539z_2_lynxmpea890gf_rtroptp_2_soccer_england_united_dimaria-1a10fla.jpg

Manchester United's new signing Angel Di Maria (R) speaks with manager Louis van Gaal as he arrives for a news conference at Old Trafford in Manchester, northern England August 28, 2014. REUTERS/Darren Staples

LONDON (Reuters) - Manchester United's revenue and profit is set to fall in 2014-15, the English football club said on Wednesday, paying the price for missing out on European games this season and underlying the value of a swift return to the Champions League.

United, 20 times English champions, reported revenue of 433 million pounds ($698 million) in the year to the end of June, and core profit of 130 million pounds, both record figures thanks to improved TV and sponsorship deals.

The team finished only seventh in the Premier League last season, which meant that they failed to qualify for a place in the lucrative European Champions League for this campaign.

As a consequence, United forecast a decline in revenue to 385-395 million pounds in the current year, and profit of between 90 and 95 million pounds.

United have responded to last season's poor form by recruiting Dutchman Louis van Gaal as manager and spending around 150 million pounds to improve the team.

"With Louis van Gaal at the helm as manager, and the recent signing of some of the world’s leading players to further strengthen our squad, we are very excited about the future and believe it's the start of a new chapter in the club’s history," executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward said in a statement.

United, majority owned by the American Glazer family, have signed Argentine winger Angel di Maria from Real Madrid and also recruited Colombian striker Radamel Falcao, who joined on loan from Monaco.

United have made a shaky start to the season, failing to win any of their three Premier League matches so far and being eliminated from the League Cup.

(Writing by Keith Weir, editing by Louise Heavens)

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United chief Woodward heralds new era as club announce record revenue

448061_heroa.jpg

Sep 10, 2014 13:13:00

The club announced their fiscal results on Wednesday, with profits of €29.6 million, and the Red Devils' executive vice-chairman is excited to see what the future holds

Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has predicted "the start of a new chapter" at Old Trafford after announcing the club's 2014 fiscal results.

United reported a record annual revenue of €538.4 million to June 30 2014, an increase of 19 per cent, and also revealed profits of €29.6m for the year.

The results, coupled with the signings of Radamel Falcao, Angel Di Maria, Luke Shaw, Ander Herrera, Daley Blind and Marcos Rojo - although only Herrera appeared in this year's figures - have excited Woodward, who has backed Louis van Gaal to steer the club back to the pinnacle of English football.

"We are very proud of the results achieved in fiscal year 2014 as we once again generated record revenues," he said in a statement.

"With Louis van Gaal at the helm as manager, and the recent signing of some of the world's leading players to further strengthen our squad, we are very excited about the future and believe it's the start of a new chapter in the club's history."

Van Gaal has won seven league titles in his distinguished career and Woodward has hailed the modus operandi of the Dutchman, who also guided the Netherlands to third place at the 2014 World Cup.

"Louis' footballing philosophy fits very well with Manchester United and he has an impressive track record of success throughout his career, winning league titles with every club he has managed," he added.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United paid sacked Moyes €6.5m

454267_heroa.jpg

Sep 10, 2014 16:24:00

The 51-year-old was dismissed, along with his backroom staff, in April after a disastrous season in which the Red Devils finished in seventh place in the Premier League

Manchester United's latest accounts have revealed that the club paid €6.5 million in compensation to sacked manager David Moyes and his coaching staff last season.

Moyes oversaw a dismal 2013-14 season at Old Trafford, with United finishing seventh in the Premier League and subsequently missing out on European football.

The Scot, who has been replaced by Louis van Gaal, was sacked in April, two days after a 2-0 defeat to former club Everton.

"Exceptional items for the year were €6.5m, primarily related to compensation payments on loss of office to the former manager and certain members of the coaching staff," a statement from the club announced.

"Exceptional items for the prior year were €7.75m."

Despite their poor season under Moyes, United still reported record annual revenue of €538.4m, while they also announced profits of €29.6m.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tottenham to move from White Hart Lane in 2017-18

449895_heroa.jpg

Sep 10, 2014 16:43:00

A further delay in completion of the club's new stadium means that it will not be ready before 2018-19 and they will have to find an alternative home for a year

Tottenham are set to play their home games in 2017-18 away from White Hart Lane as plans for a new stadium on the site are to go to the High Court.

A compulsory purchase order (CPO) was pushed through by the secretary of state for communities and local government, Eric Pickles, in July to allow Spurs to press ahead with construction work that was hoped to be completed by 2017.

However, landowners Archway Sheet Metal Works Ltd and the Josif family have exercised their right to challenge the CPO in the High Court, meaning that the project will now be subject to further delays.

As a result, Tottenham's hopes of continuing playing at White Hart Lane while work is carried out have now been shelved in order to speed up the construction time, leaving the Premier League club with no choice but to find a new home for the 2017-18 campaign.

A statement on the club's official website read: "The challenge proceedings will now commence and we await notification of the earliest possible date for the High Court hearing.

"We have already successfully and amicably relocated more than 70 businesses in the area to the satisfaction of all parties concerned and a number of these organisations continue to reside in the borough.

"Whilst we were able to accommodate all these other businesses' requests, in the instance of Archway, we have been unable to reach agreement over the period of the last seven years.

"That said, we remain committed to finding the earliest possible resolution and shall continue to engage with Archway regarding a possible agreement reached by private treaty.

"Given the lengthy period of time taken to reach the CPO decision in the first place, we should like to advise supporters that it is highly unlikely we shall be able to open the new stadium at the start of the 2017-18 season.

"The club has revised its construction programme in order to take the shortest possible time to construct. This now therefore involves the club moving away from the Lane during construction for a period of one season, to start at the beginning of a season in order to comply with Premier League rules.

"We are currently undertaking due diligence on alternative stadium options. Consideration needs to be given to several factors, including planning and policing and, importantly, our fans and the impact it may have on the team itself.

"Clearly all possible options have pros and cons and we are aware that we shall not be able to find one which will please all parties.

"We shall however seek to find the optimum solution for the club and our supporters and we shall be sharing our deliberations with our supporters at an appropriate time."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Radamel Falcao looks cool and composed ahead of Manchester United debut

Danny Welbeck was sold because he didn't score enough, says Louis van Gaal

PUBLISHED : Friday, 12 September, 2014, 10:19am
UPDATED : Friday, 12 September, 2014, 11:20am

Reuters

britain_soccer_falcao_blind_introduction_mjs112.jpg

Radamel Falcao says he will stay at United long-term. Photo: AP

A composed and measured Radamel Falcao made his media bow at Manchester United, showing few signs of the weight of goal-scoring expectation on his shoulders.

United, who have managed only two points in three league games under new coach Louis van Gaal so far this season, paraded Falcao and fellow new signing Daley Blind to the press and cameras before their expected debuts against Queens Park Rangers this weekend.

The club signed the Colombian striker, who has spent most of 2014 out injured, on a year’s loan from Monaco just before the transfer market closed last week with an option to buy at the end of the season, in a deal that some commentators said smacked of desperation.

But Falcao, 28, speaking in careful English, said what the fans wanted to hear – that he was looking long-term.

“I hope to stay many years at Manchester United and make history at this club.”

soccer-england_pnn01.jpg

Louis van Gaal with new signings Radamel Falcao and Daley Blind. Photo: Reuters

Falcao sidestepped questions about his short stays at Porto, Atletico Madrid and Monaco – three clubs in four years – and about talk of a transfer to Real Madrid before his last-minute move to Manchester.

He said all the right things.

“I feel good. I have had a great welcome. Any settling in period is easy when the quality of players is so good,” the Colombian, who joins Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney in United’s attacking line-up, said.

Falcao’s anterior cruciate ligament injury kept him out of the World Cup. He played some pre-season friendlies with Monaco and some 15 minutes of Colombia’s defeat by Brazil last Friday.

“I feel well,” said Falcao, who scored seven goals in his first seven games for Monaco last season. “I started to play two months ago with Monaco. I’ve improved in the last month. I’ve scored goals which is important to a striker.

“I’m confident with my physical form and I’m comfortable with my knee.”

Van Gaal, appointed after United finished in an unaccustomed seventh last season under David Moyes, has been criticised for splashing out £150 million (HK$1.88 billion) on new players.

The Dutch coach sharply answered his critics, saying the club had bought five players and taken Falcao on loan but they had shed 14, including striker Danny Welbeck who left for Arsenal.

“So how to fit in these players is not so difficult,” he said.

Van Gaal added that youth players would also get their chance. That had always been the club’s policy, he said.

“The eight vacancies left by the departures can be filled by the youths but they must know they have to step up,” he said.

He added that Welbeck had had his chance. “He did not have the same record as Van Persie or Rooney. That’s why we let him go. Because of Falcao and also the youngsters we have to come in.”

And he acknowledged the pressure the Colombian was under.

“When you can hire a player like Falcao, I don’t have doubts because he is one of the best strikers in the world. Today in training he gave one ball and it was in the goal.

“But when I say this I know I put too much pressure on him...it’s very difficult to come from another club to Manchester United in a new process.”

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United and Barcelona have to manage player egos, claims Cruyff

455058_heroa.jpg

Sep 12, 2014 15:29:00

The Dutch legend believes Louis van Gaal will find it tough to fit his side's new signings into a coherent team - something he expects Luis Enrique to struggle with, too

Former Netherlands star Johan Cruyff believes Manchester United and Barcelona face similar issues if they are to succeed under new managers.

While Luis Enrique has taken over the helm at Camp Nou and added Luis Suarez, Ivan Rakitic, Thomas Vermaelen and others to the squad, Louis van Gaal has overseen an overhaul at United, with six new faces arriving at Old Trafford before the end of the transfer window.

The signings of Radamel Falcao and Angel Di Maria have led some to question how Van Gaal will go about selecting a side from a squad that already includes Juan Mata, Robin van Persie and club captain Wayne Rooney.

And Cruyff believes his fellow countryman will find it difficult to manage the various egos in his squad as he looks to improve on a start to the campaign that has seen the Red Devils fail to win any of their four competitive fixtures.

"There should be a logic always but the big problem is to manage all these players," he told The Guardian. "It's the same thing with Barcelona. They now have Suarez, [Lionel] Messi, Neymar – how do you play them together?

"If you see them individually then, of course, they are great players. It's the same at Manchester United. Individually they are great but they have to play like a team.

"So then you get another problem. They are all famous. They earn a lot of money both on and off the field. How can you create a team and bring all these egos together?

"The main goal for Manchester United is for them to play well – and not have a player saying 'I play well, I scored two goals'. Because if I score two goals but three goals go into our net then we lose.

"They provide [Van Gaal] with a lot of good players but he has to turn them into a team. And you can't arrange the chemistry of the team in two weeks. It needs time."

Van Gaal has previously stated that he could require up to three months to mould the 20-time English champions into a side that is able to play at the required level to challenge for silverware as they look to adapt to a new 3-5-2 formation.

And Cruyff is in agreement that the former Bayern Munich coach will need time to impose himself on the team, though he does not feel that it will take a whole season to improve the side sufficiently.

"No, no [it will not take a season]. That's too long. But it doesn't mean they will win the league.

"You can see a better performance every week and you can aim for a better fit as a team in the details. And [Van Gaal] is a person of details. So it could be possible that things work.

"But, once again, can these people develop their own game for the sake of the team? It's not easy.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Diego Costa named Premier League Player of the Month for August

454822_heroa.jpg

Sep 12, 2014 13:49:00

The Chelsea striker scored four times in his first three matches in English football, while Swansea boss Garry Monk has scooped the manager prize

Chelsea striker Diego Costa has been named the Prmier League's Player of the Month for August.

The Brazilian-born Spain striker lifts the award in his first month in English football, having moved to Stamford Bridge from Atletico Madrid this summer.

Costa, 25, scored four goals in three matches at the start of the English campaign, including individual strikes against Burnley and Leicester City and a double against Everton in a 6-3 victory.

goal-plystats-6fa47ca7-fa46-4b86-86c6-5b693bb74bd6.png

The striker was criticised by Everton boss Roberto Martinez following the game at Goodison on August 30 for shouting at Seamus Coleman after the Irish right-back had scored an own goal.

"I think there are certain foreign players who, when they come to the Premier League, need to understand the ethics and it's a completely different culture," he said.

He beat off competition from Chelsea team-mate Cesc Fabregas, Swansea City duo Nathan Dyer and Gylfi Sigurdsson and Aston Villa's Andreas Weimann.

But Swansea were successful in the manager's category, with Garry Monk named Manager of the Month after guiding the Welsh side to three wins from three.

The Swans kicked off their Premier League campaign with a 2-1 win at Manchester United, before beating Burnley 1-0 and West Brom 3-0.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tottenham deny takeover claims

400740_heroa.jpg

Sep 11, 2014 16:04:00

Newspaper reports on Friday had suggested that owner Joe Lewis would be willing to sell Spurs for €1.2 billion amid delays in the club's move to a new stadium

Tottenham have rejected newspaper claims that owner Joe Lewis is preparing to sell the club.

Reports of a potential sale emerged a day after it was announced that plans for Tottenham's move to a new stadium had been held up.

A compulsory purchase order (CPO) was pushed through by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government Eric Pickles in July to allow Tottenham to press ahead with construction work that was hoped to be completed by 2017.

However, landowners Archway Sheet Metal Works Ltd and the Josif family have exercised their right to challenge the CPO in the High Court, meaning that the project will now be subject to further delays.

As a result, Tottenham's hopes of continuing to play at White Hart Lane while work is carried out have now been shelved in order to speed up the construction time, leaving the Premier League club with no choice but to find a new home for the 2017-18 campaign.

However, the north London outfit have moved to quash rumours surrounding the club's ownership following reports that a €1.2 billion sale could be in the offing.

"The stadium redevelopment plans are a significant part of the future for both our club and the local area and represent a complex infrastructure project that requires funding," read a club statement.

"This substantial construction project requires discussions with multiple providers of finance so that the optimum financing package can be achieved.

"To this end, we have appointed [financial advisors] Rothschild to advise us on those options.

"Accordingly, we are at a stage where we are starting to engage with a number of financing institutions and potential funders in respect of the new stadium development project.

"Contrary to recent press speculation, neither the club, nor its majority shareholder, are in any takeover discussions and the focus of the club is fully on delivering the new stadium project."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho is a legend and a role model - Monk

452906_heroa.jpg

Sep 11, 2014 23:54:00

The Swansea manager says he looks up to the Chelsea boss and insists there is no animosity between them after they didn't shake hands in their last meeting

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is a legend and a figure for young coaches to look up to, according to Swansea City manager Garry Monk.

The coach is one of just four coaches to win league titles in four different countries, having guided Porto, Chelsea, Inter and Real Madrid to domestic glory and winning two Champions League titles along the way with the Portuguese and Italian giants.

And Monk, who is in his first full season as a manager, says the 51-year-old is a role model to young coaches like himself and dismissed claims of animosity between the two of them after the Chelsea boss didn't shake hands with him in their last meeting.

"He didn't shake hands with me after the last game, but I am probably not the only one and it's not a big deal," he told reporters ahead of the match between the two sides on Saturday.

"I like to shake hands and finish things well at the end of a game, and of course I will shake his hand this weekend.

"He is a top manager, someone who is hugely respected in football. He has won titles at the highest level and is in the top bracket - he has legendary status as a manager.

"He is winning things on a regular basis and he has managed some of the top clubs in Europe. He is someone for someone like me to look up to."

Before his snub by Mourinho after the Blues' 1-0 win over Swansea in April, Monk had taken umbrage with the actions of Chelsea players and staff in the build-up to Chico's red card.

Explaining the situation, Monk added: "After Chico made the foul, there was a delay of around 20 or 30 seconds and it seemed the referee was not going to show the second yellow.

"Then their players surrounded the ref and their staff surrounded the fourth official and the second yellow card came.

"But Phil Dowd told me afterwards that he was just giving himself time to think and I accepted that. I have a lot of respect for him."

Swansea and Chelsea are the only two teams in the Premier League to have won all three of their opening matches.

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Louis van Gaal orders Antonio Valencia to have English lessons... despite winger having lived in England for EIGHT YEARS

• Manchester United manager wants all his players speaking in English
  • Van Gaal has ordered Spanish-speaking players to have lessons
  • Angel di Maria and Marcos Rojo will be in a beginners' together
  • Radamel Falcao, Ander Herrera and David de Gea in a intermediate class
  • Valencia moved to England in 2006 will have one-to-one tuition
By Joe Bernstein for MailOnline
Published: 17:28 EST, 13 September 2014 | Updated: 18:11 EST, 13 September 2014

Manchester United winger Antonio Valencia has been ordered by manager Louis van Gaal to take English lessons – despite having lived here for eight years.

Van Gaal is determined his current squad, which includes a number of native Spanish-speakers, should all become fluent in English to help communication on the training ground and the pitch.

Newcomers Angel Di Maria, Marcos Rojo, Radamel Falcao and Ander Herrera have all had twice-weekly lessons arranged for them alongside goalkeeper David de Gea, who is in his fourth season at the club, and Valencia, who first arrived in the Premier League to play for Wigan Athletic in 2006 before signing for United three seasons later.

1410647057111_wps_8_Manchester_United_s_Anton.jpg

Antonio Valencia has been told to have English lessons by new Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal

1410647177342_wps_17_WIGAN_ENGLAND_OCTOBER_21_.jpg
1410647175980_Image_galleryImage_PORTSMOUTH_UNITED_KINGDOM.JPG

Antonio Valencia first arrived in England eight years ago when he signed for Wigan in 2006

1410646121381_wps_3_MANCHESTER_ENGLAND_SEPTEM.jpg

Juan Mata, Anderson, Ander Herrera, David de Gea, Angel di Maria and Marcos Rojo all speak Spanish

1410646631043_wps_7_MANCHESTER_ENGLAND_SEPTEM.jpg

Louis van Gaal wants his players speaking in English around Manchester United's training complex

Di Maria and Rojo, who arrived this summer for a combined price of £75milion, barely speak a word of English and will take beginners’ classes together.

It is expected that Falcao, who spoke broken English at his formal press conference unveiling on Thursday, and Herrera will be promoted to join de Gea in intermediate classes over the coming weeks. Valencia has asked for one-to-one tuition.

It is ironic that Dutchman Van Gaal is taking a tougher attitude over United players adapting to life in England than either of his British predecessors Sir Alex Ferguson and David Moyes.

1410646175420_Image_galleryImage_MANCHESTER_ENGLAND_SEPTEM.JPG

Louis van Gaal (right) wants his Spanish speaking players, such as Radamel Falcao, to speak English

1410646276500_Image_galleryImage_BURNLEY_ENGLAND_AUGUST_30.JPG

Juan Mata's English is judged good enough to not need lessons but Angel di Maria (right) will have lessons

Valencia is by nature a shy person and has never conducted an interview in English despite coming to the country at the age of 20. He has played 282 times for Wigan and United.

Spanish international Juan Mata, who joined Chelsea in the same 2011 summer transfer window as De Gea came to England, has been judged to speak English well enough not to need additional lessons.

The instruction for De Gea to brush up on his language skills is significant. The £18m Spaniard has improved greatly from a shaky start to his career at Old Trafford but communication in the United defence has never been as strong with him in goal as it was during the eras of Peter Schmeichel and Edwin van der Sar.

Van Gaal’s move is sure to be welcomed by some United fans who are worried that the club are losing their traditional identity after spending £150m on new, predominantly foreign players this summer while letting academy graduates Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley leave.

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

455549_thumb.jpg

Rodgers: Liverpool were too slow
The Reds began their defeat to Aston Villa with Mario Balotelli, Lazar Markovic and Adam Lallana as their attacking triumvirate but lacked fluency and paid the price

455476_thumb.jpg

Mourinho tempers Costa expectations
The Brazil-born Spaniard hit a brilliant hat-trick as Chelsea defeated Swansea 4-2 at Stamford Bridge but his manager has moved to play down expectations surrounding the star

455440_thumb.jpg

Liverpool 0-1 Aston Villa: Agbonlahor pounces to secure shock Anfield win
The striker struck early in the first-half to give his side the lead and the Reds could not hit back, with Paul Lambert's side turning in a brilliant defensive performance

452620_thumb.jpg

Spurs should have won, says Pochettino
The Spurs boss was left deflated after sharing the spoils with Sunderland, and believes that his side were unlucky not to take all three points from Gus Poyet's side

455361_thumb.jpg

Wenger bemoans 'cheap' Arsenal defending & Debuchy injury
The Gunners boss was frustrated after his side conceded a late equaliser in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Manchester City while the right-back faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines

455350_thumb.jpg

Referee had a very bad day - Pellegrini
The Manchester City manager was furious with Mark Clattenburg for not awarding free-kicks in the build-up to both of Arsenal's goal in the 2-2 draw on Saturday

455395_thumb.jpg

Crystal Palace 0-0 Burnley: Speroni save earns Eagles a point
The Eagles' stopper produced a fine save from Scott Arfield's penalty to preserve a share of the points at Selhurst Park in an dogged affair of little chances for either side

455399_thumb.jpg

Player Ratings: Stoke City 0-1 Leicester City
A second-half reprieve from the Foxes saw them grab their first win of the campaign, with Leonardo Ulloa's third goal in four games against a luckless Potters side

455387_thumb.jpg

Stoke City 0-1 Leicester: Ulloa maintains Foxes’ impressive start
Leonardo Ulloa's second half strike proved enough for the Foxes to leave the Britannia Stadium with all three points to lift Nigel Pearson's men into the top half of the table

455330_thumb.jpg

West Brom 0-2 Everton: Lukaku returns to haunt Baggies
Goals from from former Baggies striker Romelu Lukaku and Kevin Mirallas gave the Toffees all three points at The Hawthorns after gifted opportunities from the home defence

455364_thumb.jpg

Chelsea 4-2 Swansea City: Costa hat-trick helps maintains Mourinho’s perfect start
The Brazil-born Spaniard continued his fine goalscoring form with a brilliant hat-trick at Stamford Bridge as the Blues continued their perfect start to the season

455328_thumb.jpg

Sunderland 2-2 Tottenham: Kane own goal gifts Black Cats late point
The striker turned a Jordi Gomez free-kick into his own net late on to ensure the home side took a share of the spoils from a clash dominated by Mauricio Pochettino's men

455329_thumb.jpg

Southampton 4-0 Newcastle United: Pardew hanging on after Pelle double
The summer signing from Feyenoord hit two goals before half-time, while Jack Cork and Morgan Schneiderlin rounded off the scoring in the second period to put the seal on the win

455290_thumb.jpg

All work and no hooray for Welbeck on Arsenal debut
The England striker was unable to mark his debut with a goal but gave a typically energetic and industrious display to provide hope he will prove a hit at the Emirates Stadium

455288_thumb.jpg

Arsenal 2-2 Manchester City: Demichelis rescues a point for the champions
The City centre-half netted a late header to seal a valuable point for Manuel Pellegrini's side after Sergio Aguero's opener was cancelled out by Jack Wilshere and Alexis Sanchez

454982_thumb.jpg

Arsenal to sign Munir
The North London club will reportedly complete the signing of the Barcelona star in January after meeting his €11 million release clause

455256_thumb.jpg

Sterling: I want to join Ronaldo as world's best
The England teenager has been in superb form since the start of 2014 for club and country and is looking to emulate the Ballon d'Or winner in the coming years

455249_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Chelsea have no fitness doubts over Remy
The France forward missed out on a move to Liverpool after failing a medical but his new boss at Stamford Bridge believes there are no problems with his most recent purchase

455259_thumb.jpg

Pellegrini: Hart and Caballero will rotate through the season
After the England goalkeeper lost his place to Costel Pantilimon for a period in the 2013-14 campaign he could again find himself on the bench for periods this term

455252_thumb.jpg

Man Utd confident of Strootman deal
The club will make a €31m bid for the Roma midfielder in January and offer him a contract worth €125,000-a-week once he completes his recovery from a serious knee injury

455247_thumb.jpg

Ferdinand: I never got to say goodbye to Man Utd
The ex-England international made over 300 appearances for the Red Devils in 12 years and is looking forward to coming up against Angel Di Maria on his return

447516_thumb.jpg

Wenger: Early kick-offs not a problem for Arsenal
The Gunners boss believes that kick-off times were not to blame for heavy defeats last season as he looks for victory against Manchester City in the opening game of the weekend

357555_thumb.jpg

My Manchester United career is over - Cleverley
The England international does not expect a return to the Old Trafford first-team after moving to Villa Park, and has lamented Red Devils' fans for negativity

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Forget it!' - Mourinho rules out Ronaldo move

444409_heroa.jpg

Sep 12, 2014 18:41:00

The forward has been linked with a move back to the Premier League but the Portuguese has poured cold water on suggestions he could join Chelsea

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has ruled out a move for Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Portuguese forward has been linked with a move back to the Premier League with one of Chelsea and Manchester United credited as his most likely destination.

However, Mourinho batted away any suggestion of the Blues moving for 29-year-old, telling assembled journalists to "forget it" when quizzed on the topic.

Mourinho overhauled a squad that finished third last season, bringing in the likes of Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa to replace the high-profile departures of David Luiz and Romelu Lukaku.

And the 51-year-old praised the club's work in the summer transfer window: "In terms of income and the players we bought, my club did a magnificent job.

"I analysed the transfer situation early on, and after that my club did an amazing job getting the right players."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Premier League clubs should have spending capped - Redknapp

455117_heroa.jpg

Sep 12, 2014 19:50:00

The Rs take on Manchester United on Sunday having spent around €190 million less than their opponents, and the former Tottenham boss does not believe this is fair

QPR manager Harry Redknapp has called on the Premier League to introduce a spending cap so teams are able to compete on a level playing field.

Redknapp takes his newly-promoted Rs side to Old Trafford to take on Manchester United on Sunday, with Louis van Gaal having overseen a spending spree in the region of €190 million since taking over in the summer.

The likes of Angel Di Maria, Ander Herrera and Radamel Falcao have all joined United and Redknapp feels the fact that the 20-time English champions can spend so much and not fall foul of Financial Fair Play rules, due to their revenue streams, is unfair on clubs like QPR.

"To make it fair, we should be able to spend as much as Manchester United," he told reporters.

"What is fair play? One team can spend €200m, another team can spend €10m?

"Fair play would be everyone having the maximum of €40m to spend on their team and then have to bring in some players from the youth team.

"Seven teams are on another planet to the rest. You don't have to be a genius to pick the top seven teams - it will be almost certainly be the same seven as last year."

The Loftus Road outfit are in danger of being fined up to €60m for breaking FFP rules during their season in the Championship last term.

QPR owner Tony Fernandes has promised to "fight" any fine from the Football League despite the club racking up huge losses of over €80m during the 2012-13 season.

Last season's figures are yet to be released but given the club played in the Championship, they are not expected to be kind on QPR.

Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey warned this week that QPR could be thrown out of professional football if they are ever relegated and refuse to pay the fine.

There has also been the suggestion that QPR could be booted from the League Cup as early as next season if they do not comply with the sanction but Harvey stressed that he hoped the issue could be resolved long before then.

Redknapp showed his faith in QPR's owners, though, and said the current rules made life difficult for sides relegated into the Championship.

"I'm sure the owners know what they are doing. If a team invests and gets relegated then what do you do?

"You can't just offload all of your players, it is very difficult to do that when they are on Premier League wages and are in the Championship.

"It's a chicken and egg situation. Do you just come up and not spend and go down again, or do you spend a bit of money try to stay up and then be in trouble for Financial Fair Play?"

Redknapp added that he expects to sign a contract extension at QPR in the coming days.

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Martinez: Lukaku fee was a bargain

Roberto Martinez branded Romelu Lukaku a £28million bargain after he fired Everton to a 2-0 win at West Brom.

Romelu%20Lukaku%20of%20Everton%20is%20challenged%20by%20Craig%20Gardner%20of%20West%20Brom%20.jpg

Sunday 14th September 2014

The Toffees' record buy scored inside two minutes at The Hawthorns for his first goal since making his loan move from Chelsea permanent.

He curled in from the edge of the box after Jonas Olsson's poor clearance before Kevin Mirallas added a second thanks to Ben Foster's mistake.

It sealed a comfortable win for Everton and Martinez believes Lukaku, who scored 16 goals on loan at Goodison Park last season, can be a steal.

"He is only a young man and I'm sure money can be spent in many ways but I didn't mind the sum because he was money well spent," he said.

"When you bring a player into the club it's always a gamble but in this case it wasn't at all because we had the advantage of working with Rom over last season.

"For us it was very important to keep him. I felt he developed a homely feeling, his relationship with the fans is quite unique and he is everything you expect in a striker. He is young, wants to win, he works extremely hard and he has everything."

It was Everton's first win of the season and Martinez felt it was deserved, although he offered support to opposite number Alan Irvine.

He said: "We scored at the right times and created chances. West Brom were fantastic though and they are in transition and trying to bed some players in. They play with a lot of energy but I felt we never looked like conceding until the last minute."

Irvine has been unable to play most of his summer signings after they arrived late in pre-season, with Joleon Lescott still out after a knee injury.

He gave debuts to substitutes Sebastian Blanco and Georgios Samaras but the Baggies were jeered off after their third blank in a row.

And Irvine knows, despite being a work in progress, they need results.

He said: "It needs to be as quick as possible, we are not in that pre-season period we would like to have been in when we were trying to build the team. We're in the season and it's important to get good results.

"What I would say is that the players are working extremely hard to get there. We are seeing some good things but some mistakes are very costly for us.

"Jonas and Ben are experienced Premier League players and don't usually make those mistakes.

"These lads are generally very consistent and they are devastated about the goals. Mistakes happen and we have to accept that and move on."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: Villa were tough defensively

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, shorn of the attacking pace of injured Daniel Sturridge, admitted his side struggled to break down Aston Villa.

Mario%20Balotelli%20of%20Liverpool%20falls%20after%20a%20heavy%20challenge%20from%20Alan%20Hutton%20of%20Aston%20Villa%20as%20Brendan%20Rodgers%20looks%20on%20during%20the%20Barclays%20Premier%20League%20match.jpg

Sunday 14th September 2014

Gabriel Agbonlahor scored from a ninth-minute corner and Villa held on to their lead as they prevented their hosts creating anything dangerous.

Rodgers opted to drop Raheem Sterling to the bench as well.

"It is disappointing. We started slowly, gave away a poor goal, picked up the tempo after that and the players gave everything but we lacked that bit of quality and the final ball," said the Northern Irishman

"You have to give Aston Villa credit, they defended well once they got the goal, kept their lines tight in a low block and we couldn't get the final pass so it was really frustrating for us.

"They defended well; the back four and midfield five were in and Agbonlahor on the counter-attack is always a threat.

"We started slowly which is unlike us. We have found a problem with Aston Villa in my time here. We lacked that bit of quality in the final third.

"It was just as a team we didn't have the intensity in our game. Everything was centralised and they were very compact, we needed to get around the sides a bit quicker.

"Second half was much better in terms of the domination but apart from Coutinho's little bit when he hit the post and worked the space well, we never created as much as we would normally do."

On the physicality of Villa, Rodgers, who claimed he had not seen the Senderos kick at Balotelli, added: "It is a man's game and I don't think they were overly aggressive at all."

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert felt his side were tactically perfect in their 1-0 win at Liverpool but denied they were over-physical in their approach at Anfield.

Defender Philippe Senderos appeared to land a kick on Reds striker Mario Balotelli, who also came in for some rough stuff from Alan Hutton in the first half, but Lambert insisted there was nothing untoward in their approach.

"Tactically it was fantastic but you have to have lads who will carry it out and right from the off we were outstanding," he said.

"We have worked a lot on training and the lads have grasped what we are trying to do.

"It is hard coming here, a club that nearly won the league last year, a club that has Champions League football and a club whose resources are massive compared to ourselves.

"Right from Gabby (Agbonlahor) to (Brad) Guzan defensively we were immense.

"There was another goal for Gabby; he signed a new deal and has started the season brilliantly. If he can keep that form, great."

Lambert said there was nothing in the Senderos-Balotelli incident but claimed something untoward had occurred between the Italy striker and Villa's other centre-back Nathan Baker.

"I saw the one before that between Balotelli and Nathan Baker and the fourth official saw that," he added.

"It is a physical game and we are not going to be shrinking violets coming here. You have to handle the occasion and playing against top players."