• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tottenham won't finish in top four - Sherwood

407613_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Sep 3, 2014 15:08:00

The former Spurs coach believes their failure to acquire a striker will see them fail to finish in the Champions League spots this season

Tim Sherwood says Tottenham are a striker short of securing a top-four place in the Premier League.

New manager Mauricio Pochettino strengthened significantly in the summer, acquiring goalkeeper Michel Vorm, defenders Eric Dier, Federico Fazio, DeAndre Yedlin and Ben Davies before purchasing Benjamin Stambouli from Montpellier on transfer deadline day.

But Sherwood, who was sacked at the end of last season after taking over from Andre Villas-Boas, believes the club’s failure to sign support to current striking options Emmanuel Adebayor, Harry Kane and Roberto Soldado will eventually tell.

"I’ve been encouraged with the start, obviously Daniel Levy’s backed a manager again," Sherwood told talkSPORT.

"Say what you want about Daniel Levy but he backs them in the transfer market and makes sure they get the players, and he’s gone out there and signed six players.

"I don’t know much about Stambouli, the boy from Montpellier. Fazio is an experienced Argentinian defender who won the Europa League last year with Sevilla. [Pochettino] would know him very, very well.

"I think that’s what they need, they need some cover there at centre-half just in case Younes [Kaboul] gets injured and I would say they’re probably one short of a striker to really challenge for top four."

Sherwood believes Liverpool’s emergence as genuine title contenders serves as another blow to Spurs' aspirations of qualifying for the Champions League, while he is also wary of Manchester United – who signed Angel Di Maria and Radamel Falcao in the final weeks of the transfer window.

"It doesn’t get any easier, every year, as much as you try," Sherwood added. "Obviously the emergence of Liverpool has put everybody’s nose out, because there’s another spot which looks like it’s going to be taken.

"Brendan [Rodgers] has done a great job there. Obviously he's built a philosophy there, took a step back and decided what they were going to do and they've moved forward and got the correct man to be able to apply that.

"Obviously Man United, now, are unrecognisable to any Man United side we've seen over the last 10 years. They would never, ever sell their academy players who were playing in the side but now they've decided to do that and they're going out and buying the very best players from all over the world.

"It's very exciting for the fans but, for the long-term future, of the club, I think it hurts them."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Mourinho: Fabregas form is no surprise

446283_heroa.jpg

Sep 4, 2014 20:59:00

The Spain international midfielder has slotted in seamlessly since moving to Chelsea from Barcelona and his manager explains that his Premier League experience has helped

Cesc Fabregas's excellent start to life at Chelsea is no surprise to manager Jose Mourinho.

The former Arsenal captain has hit the ground running at Stamford Bridge since making a €36 million move from Barcelona early in the summer.

The Spain international has provided four assists in Chelsea's first three Premier League games, helping them to the top of the table in the early stages of the season and Mourinho says that the midfielder's experience of the English game has come in handy.

"He doesn't need to adapt," Mourinho told Sport of Fabregas.

"This is a league that he knows, that he had played in for years [with Arsenal]. He was moulded there.

"When he came to Chelsea he was very happy to come back to this league.

"When a boy is happy, he doesn't suffer any kind of pressure, he knows that his coach trusts him, knows that his mates admire him, feels important – [his form is] not a surprise to me."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger has faith in me - Podolski

411580_heroa.jpg

Sep 4, 2014 18:57:00

The German was heavily linked with a move over the summer, with his French coach sanctioning his sale, but the forward is adamant he can still play a big role at the Emirates

Lukas Podolski is adamant that Arsene Wenger has faith in him despite reports linking him with a move away from Arsenal.

Podolski was a target for the likes of Juventus as well as Wolfsburg and Bayer Leverkusen in his native Germany, after Wenger sanctioned the sale of the forward, but no deal materialised and he subsequently remained at the Emirates following the close of the transfer window.

Olivier Giroud's fractured tibia – which will sideline him for around four months – may mean Podolski, still searching for full fitness after Germany's World Cup win, sees more game time at Arsenal, despite their deadline-day signing of Danny Welbeck.

And the 29-year-old is confident of playing a key role for Arsenal after a lengthy chat with Wenger.

"I had a very good conversation with the manager," Podolski told Bild.

"He has stressed he is putting trust in me and my qualities. I do not have to fear anyone at Arsenal. I am just back in training for two-and-a-half weeks.

"If I am at 100 per cent fitness I do not fear any competition for places in the first eleven."

Podolski also revealed that he had no offers to leave Arsenal in the transfer window, despite a number of enquiries.

"A move away from Arsenal did not fall through because I had no offers to move," he added.

"There have been enquiries from other countries, also from Bundesliga clubs, but I am from Cologne and it would have been tough for me to represent any other German club."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Welbeck keen to emulate 'idol' Henry at Arsenal

452317_heroa.jpg

Sep 4, 2014 18:01:00

The England striker joined the club in a €20 million deadline day deal and is keen to make as big an impact in north London as one of his childhood heroes

New Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck has revealed that he wants to leave an indelible mark at the Emirates by emulating his "idol" Thierry Henry.

The Gunners paid Manchester United €20 million to acquire the England international on transfer deadline day, with Welbeck set to go straight into the first-team following Olivier Giroud’s injury setback.

And the 23-year-old has now aired his determination to prove that Arsene Wenger was right to lure him to London.

“I loved watching Thierry Henry since I was a little kid,” he told Arsenal Player. “My two idols are Ryan Giggs and Thierry Henry so to come to the club where he was and had so much success at is something you can look up to and try to stamp your own print on the club.

“There's definitely competition and I think once you come to a big club, there is always going to be competition.

“Unfortunately there are a couple of injuries at the moment but I think once everyone is fighting fit, everybody will want to be on the pitch scoring goals and that's healthy competition for the squad.”

Welbeck also promised to give the fans “100 per cent in every single game” as the Gunners look to mount a title challenge this season.

“I play with my heart on my sleeve and I'm always going to give my best," he added. "I'll try to give them so many happy days in the coming future.

“I know a lot about Arsenal. I don't think there are many people in England who won't know about Arsenal and what a big club this is.

"The stadium is fantastic and the team has got a legendary manager and magnificent players who have also been brought in.

“It seems like a family club and that's something that's really enticing. I'm so glad to be here.”

Welbeck, who featured in England’s 1-0 win over Norway on Wednesday, could make his Arsenal debut against Manchester City after the international break.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: I wanted Torres to join Inter - not AC Milan

450155_heroa.jpg

Sep 4, 2014 14:02:21

The Portuguese coach says that he remains a Nerazzurri fan and was, therefore, hoping that the Spain international would link up with his former club

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has revealed that he would have preferred if Fernando Torres had joined Inter rather than AC Milan.

The Spain international joined the Rossoneri on a two-year loan deal from the Blues just before the close of the summer transfer window.

However, Mourinho has explained that even though the striker failed to nail down a regular starting berth during their time together at Stamford Bridge, he holds the 30-year-old in the highest esteem and, therefore, would have loved to have seen him join Milan's city rivals.

"I'm an Interista and I would have preferred if he'd gone to Inter," the Portuguese stated at a Uefa coaching seminar in Nyon. "However, I hope that he does equally well at Milan.

"What I can say about Fernando is that as a person and a professional, there is nothing to doubt about him.

"He's a fantastic boy and a great professional. However, he needed a change of scenery."

Torres joined Chelsea for €63 million in January 2011 but never managed to justify his transfer fee, netting just 20 goals in 110 Premier League games for the Blues.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Begovic punt sets world record

Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic's remarkable long-range goal against Southampton last season has earned a place in the Guinness World Records book.

smir%20Begovic%20of%20Stoke%20City%20takes%20a%20free-kick.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Uurj6qNnZeA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Friday 5th September 2014

Begovic scored in bizarre fashion at the Britannia Stadium last November when a long kick forward - just 13 seconds after kick-off - caught the wind and then bounced over opposite number Artur Boruc into the net.

The strike was measured at 91.9 metres (301ft 6in) and has now been registered as the 'longest goal scored in football' in the latest edition of the famous book of records.

Begovic told the club's website, www.stokecityfc.com: "I feel amazing to be honoured in this way and as a goalkeeper I didn't expect this to happen, not for this type of record anyway. I will take it though and enjoy it.

"I really do appreciate this award and the certificate will certainly take pride of place on the wall at home.

"So thank you to everyone at Guinness World Records for presenting me with this wonderful award."

Last edited:

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rojo set for United debut against QPR

Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo is in line to make his debut against QPR after finally being granted a work permit.

Marcos%20Rojo%20of%20Argentina%20celebrates%20scoring%20his%20team%27s%20third%20goal%20during%20the%202014%20FIFA%20World%20Cup%20Brazil%20Group%20F%20match%20between%20Nigeria%20and%20Argentina%20.jpg

Friday 5th September 2014

United signed Rojo from Sporting Lisbon on August 19, but he had to miss the games against Sunderland, MK Dons and Burnley as he was unable to obtain a work permit.

The Argentina international had to travel to Madrid for an interview regarding his permit because of an alleged altercation with a neighbour in his homeland four years ago.

Rojo's paperwork has now been signed off and he is therefore available to feature in United's next game, which is against QPR a week on Sunday.

United tweeted on Thursday: "The UK Border Agency has agreed to grant #mufc defender @MarcosRojo5 a visa and he will therefore be available to face QPR on 14 September."

The 24-year-old played in Argentina's 4-2 win over Germany on Wednesday night. United's record signing Angel di Maria starred in the friendly win, which was a re-run of World Cup final.

The £59.7million signing set up three goals and found the net himself in Argentina's victory over the world champions in Dusseldorf.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

PSG president makes Di Maria claims

Paris St Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has claimed Angel di Maria wanted to move to the Parc des Princes, but the Ligue 1 champions could not agree a fee with Real Madrid.

Angel%20Di%20Maria%20of%20Manchester%20United%20shows%20his%20emotions%20during%20the%20Barclays%20Premier%20League%20match%20between%20Burnley%20and%20Manchester%20United.jpg

Wednesday 3rd September 2014

The Argentinian winger sealed a British record £59.7million transfer to Manchester United last week, but Al-Khelaifi said PSG had in fact been his preferred destination.

"For two or three weeks I discussed this issue with my friend Florentino Perez, the president of Real Madrid," Al-Khelaifi said in an interview with Le Parisien.

"We met twice, we made an offer, but we did not agree on the price. For me it was too expensive. It has nothing to do with Financial Fair Play. The player wanted to come to Paris, but this was not possible."

The French side have invested hugely in players over the past couple of years, with the arrival of David Luiz from Chelsea this summer's marquee signing.

Al-Khelaifi claimed Financial Fair Play (FFP) was not a fair rule and said his club would meet with UEFA to urge them to reconsider it.

"We want to respect the rules of UEFA," he said. "But we must discuss it again in October with them to try to change the rules.

"This is very important because Financial Fair Play is not fair. It is sometimes difficult to understand, but in the end, the big clubs are big clubs and small clubs remain small. It not only represents the interests of PSG. If new investors can not invest in football, they will invest in Formula One."

PSG, along with Premier League champions Manchester City, were handed a heavy fine in May for breaching FFP regulations.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rojo 'desperate' to make Man Utd debut

446324_heroa.jpg

Sep 6, 2014 13:01:00

The 24-year-old was finally granted a UK visa this week and is eligible for selection as Louis van Gaal's struggling side prepare to take on QPR at Old Trafford

Marcos Rojo says he is "desperate" to make an impression in his Manchester United debut next week.

Argentina international Rojo signed for United from Sporting last month in a deal worth a reported €20 million, but has not yet featured for his new club due to delays in him being given a visa.

However, the UK Border Agency granted the left-sided defender permission to live and work in the country earlier in the week, meaning he is now free to play for United.

Rojo is therefore in line to make his Premier League bow when Louis van Gaal's side host QPR after the international break on September 14 and says he cannot wait to get going in England.

"I am desperate to get onto the field and play because I have not been able to step into Old Trafford yet," Rojo told Argentine media.

"I am very happy to be at Manchester United, a top team in the world, sharing a dressing room with players like Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and fellow new signings Angel Di Maria and now Radamel Falcao.

"This is a very important step in my career as a player and as a person. Everything that has happened to me since the World Cup has been a dream."

Rojo was ever-present as Argentina stormed to the final of the World Cup in Brazil this summer before being beaten in extra-time by Brazil.

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Mourinho: Chelsea are at a financial disadvantage

452906_heroa.jpg

Sep 6, 2014 14:49:00

The Blues sold David Luiz and Romelu Lukaku this summer and their Portuguese boss says this is the reality of a club with smaller incomes than Manchester United and Real Madrid

Jose Mourinho believes that Europe's elite clubs have a financial advantage over Chelsea.

The Portuguese manager claims that the Blues have to adhere to Financial Fair Play rules more stringently than the likes of Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid, citing the recent sales of David Luiz, Romelu Lukaku and Juan Mata as evidence.

Chelsea spent approximately €120,000 net from their business this summer - bringing in Cesc Fabregas, Diego Costa, Filipe Luis, Didier Drogba and Loic Remy - and Mourinho says that this is the reality of managing a club with smaller incomes.

He told Yahoo: "When Uefa decided for Financial Fair Play they were trying to do this to make every team [have] equal possibilities but the reality is that the big teams, the big clubs, the clubs with more years at the top with more fanbase around the world, with more income, are the players that keep being the big spenders.

"So Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Manchester [United] – all these huge teams, I think they have an advantage.

"But at Chelsea we are so happy with the way we are doing things, with this great balance between the income and the money we can spend. We are so happy with that profile of club we are, we don't want to change."

The Blues have shot to the top of the Premier League with three wins from three but Mourinho believes that the club are unlikely to break the British transfer record - something that they have done twice in the past - again.

When asked if the Blues could eclipse the €75 million that United spent on Angel Di Maria, Mourinho stated: "Chelsea not, for sure, because Chelsea is working in relation to the Financial Fair Play.

"We are making money to be able to spend money. In every transfer window Chelsea is losing players, is selling players. In the winter one we sold Mata; in the summer one we sold David Luiz and Lukaku.

"So Chelsea in this moment is not a spender – Chelsea in this moment is making more money in transfers than the money we spend."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Lampard: I wanted to stay at Chelsea

416369_heroa.jpg

Sep 5, 2014 09:33:00

The 36-year-old ended a 13-year stay at Stamford Bridge last season, before agreeing to join New York City FC, but admits he was keen to extend his deal before it expired

Frank Lampard has revealed he would have extended his contract with Chelsea had he been offered the chance.

The 36-year-old's 13-year spell at Stamford Bridge came to an end last season when his deal with the Blues expired, before agreeing a move to New York City FC via a loan spell at Manchester City.

But Lampard conceded that he would have jumped at the chance to extend his stay at Chelsea had the club not opted to go into another direction.

"I would have obviously stayed if Chelsea had offered me another year," he told The Sun. "There was no reason for me to leave. Yes, I wanted to play a bit more regularly but I'm not stupid.

"If Chelsea had given me a new contract it would have been mad not to take it at the time. It wasn't that I didn't think I could still do it. If I felt like that I wouldn't have gone to City on loan.

"I had a chat with Jose Mourinho and both he and the club were always great with me. The decision was made – and I don't know who made it."

Lampard has no hard feelings over his departure and is now keen to show he can still compete at the highest level with City.

He added: "Jose was brilliant about it. I didn't walk out with any bad feelings towards him or the club. I knew things were coming to a head but I'm realistic and, in football, I move on quite quickly.

"I also felt like I didn't want to be a player who faded away – with that being the last memory people had of me. So maybe it was the right time. Maybe it was right that the club took it out of my hands.

"What I really want now is to make a really positive impact in my time at Manchester City and then again in the next stage of my career."

Lampard could face the club with whom he won three Premier League titles, four FA Cups and the Champions League when City take on Chelsea at the Etihad Stadium on September 21.

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Scholes: Manchester United should not have sold Welbeck to Arsenal

452317_heroa.jpg

Sep 5, 2014 08:41:00

The former midfielder believes the England striker could have flourished at Old Trafford had he not been sold to rivals Arsenal on deadline day

Paul Scholes insists Manchester United have made a mistake by allowing Danny Welbeck to join Arsenal.

The England international completed his move to the FA Cup holders in the final moments of the transfer window with the Gunners paying €20 million for the 23-year-old, who will provide cover for Oliver Giroud who suffered an ankle injury last month that will keep him out for four months.

Welbeck’s position at Old Trafford was further undermined by the signing of Colombia superstar Radamel Falcao, also on deadline day, but Scholes believes Welbeck could still have played a significant role in United’s long-term future and that the Old Trafford giant's loss will be the Gunners' gain.

"Naturally, I was sad, as a United fan, to see Welbeck leave this week," Scholes told the Independent. "My feeling was that if he could have got through this transfer window and stayed at the club he could have been a part of United’s future over the next few years.

"It shows how highly regarded Danny is that a club as big as Arsenal signed him. He will be a good signing for Arsene Wenger. Danny will never be a 20-25 goals-a-season man but he could get Arsenal 10 to 15."

Despite Welbeck’s departure, Scholes is excited at the prospect of Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and Falcao terrorising defences this season, although he admits that, with only two spots for three players, Louis van Gaal faces a tough challenge to keep all of his superstar strikers happy.

He added: "When I watched Radamel Falcao play for Porto, Atletico Madrid and Monaco I saw a striker with excellent movement and a goalscoring record that is simply out of this world.

"At United, on loan for this season initially, Falcao creates competition in United’s forward line. There is no way that Louis van Gaal can play Rooney, Robin van Persie and Falcao together. It will have to be two from three and which two it is hard to say as yet.

"I don’t think the league title is realistic but Champions League football is the aim. Now it is over to Van Gaal to shape the team."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

De Jong blow for Toon

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has been dealt a major blow as summer signing Siem de Jong could be sidelined for months by injury.

Siem%20de%20Jong%20of%20Newcastle%20United%20looks%20on%20.jpg

Saturday 6th September 2014

The Magpies confirmed on Friday that the 25-year-old Holland international has damaged his right thigh in training and faces a lengthy recovery period.

A spokesman said: "Siem de Jong sustained an injury to his right thigh in training earlier this week and is to be assessed further at the start of next week.

"Initial indications are that he is likely to be out for a number of months."

The timing could hardly have been worse for Pardew at the end of a week during which the transfer window closed without another striker being recruited, while at the same time Hatem Ben Arfa was controversially allowed to join Hull on loan.

De Jong was seen as the man to link midfield with attack, playing behind loan frontman Emmanuel Riviere, contributing both service and goals to a team which has lost the firepower of Loic Remy and the invention of Yohan Cabaye since the turn of the year.

Newcastle have stuttered through the opening weeks of the new season, failing to score in either of their opening two Barclays Premier League games and being denied victory at the death in their third, a disappointing 3-3 home draw with Crystal Palace.

Pardew will now have to hope largely untried new recruits Ayoze Perez and Facundo Ferreyra, as well as midfielder Remy Cabella, can plug the gap.

De Jong's misfortune should perhaps not come as too much of a surprise as he missed much of last season at Ajax through injury and sat out a significant proportion of the Magpies' pre-season campaign with a foot problem.

His absence will do little to quell growing frustration among large sections of the club's support which reached new heights on Monday when the striker and defender they hoped might arrive failed to materialise and instead, Ben Arfa and central defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa departed on loan.

Ben Arfa in particular has become a cause celebre for Pardew's critics after being frozen out of the first-team squad.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Van Gaal will succeed at Manchester United

449306_heroa.jpg

Sep 8, 2014 15:54:00

The former Netherlands coach has yet to register a win since taking over the Red Devils but his former assistant is confident that the experienced Dutchman will turn it around

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho expects Louis van Gaal to recover from the poor start to his reign at Manchester United and be a success at Old Trafford.

The Dutchman is still awaiting his first competitive win as United boss since being appointed as David Moyes's successor but has signed the likes of Argentina winger Angel Di Maria and Colombia striker Radamel Falcao as he works to rebuild his squad.

Mourinho, who worked under Van Gaal at Barcelona and cites the Red Devils boss as one of his managerial influences, has no doubts that the 63-year-old will reverse United's fortunes.

"He is one of the best managers in the world so I think he is a man with great experience for the job," Mourinho told Yahoo.

"Manchester United is a big team [and] he is a big manager so I think they will do well together."

By contrast to United, Chelsea have a 100 per cent record from their first three Premier League games and have already netted 11 goals.

Mourinho has adopted a more free-flowing style of play in his second spell at Stamford Bridge, although he warns that it is likely to cost his side points during the campaign.

"It's a direction we tried to establish since the beginning of last season but our squad now is different. We have different qualities now in our players," he added.

"The second season normally is a good season for a manager because you come from one season of work and you can choose a better direction you want to go and we feel comfortable and we feel happy the way we are doing things.

"Are we going to lose matches? Obviously, yes, but in this moment we are getting results and we are enjoying our style of play."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Leaving Manchester United is not a step back, insists Nani

400369_heroa.jpg

Sep 8, 2014 17:37:00

The Portugal international winger returned to Sporting Lisbon for the season as part of the Red Devils' deal to sign Marcos Rojo but says that he had other options

Manchester United winger Nani insists that being loaned out to Sporting CP is not a "step back" for his career.

The Portugal international signed a new five-year contract at Old Trafford in September 2013 but, less than a year later, has returned to his former club as part of the deal to that takes Marcos Rojo to the Premier League.

The 27-year-old, however, claims that he chose Sporting over other teams interested in his signature.

"I do not think that it's a step back," Nani told Tutto Mercato. "I had other options but I decided to play at this club. It was my choice."

Nani initially left the Estadio Jose Alvalade for United in 2007 and made over 220 appearances in all competitions for the Red Devils.

But he played only 13 times for the English giants in 2013-14 as they finished seventh under David Moyes.

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

United unfazed by Falcao rumours

Manchester United insist there is no issue with regard to the age of their new striker Radamel Falcao.

Radamel%20Falcao%20of%20Colombia%20looks%20on%20before%20the%20International%20Friendly%20.jpg

Tuesday 9th September 2014

Falcao, who United signed on a season-long loan deal from Monaco on transfer deadline day, has denied reports he is two years older than he claims, which would make him 30 rather than 28.

Such talk has surrounded the Colombia international for some time and in 2013 he addressed the matter on Twitter, stressing the speculation was "completely ridiculous".

He has also previously released a copy of his birth certificate in a bid to prove he is the age he says he is.

United have now played down the idea of Falcao lying about how old he is, saying there has not been a problem on that front as far as the club are concerned.

"We were aware of the rumours at the time and it was never an issue," a Red Devils spokesman said.

Falcao could make his United debut in Sunday's Barclays Premier League home clash with QPR.

Meanwhile, Italian midfielder Davide Petrucci has joined Romanian club CFR Cluj after being released from his United contract by mutual consent.

The 22-year-old joined the Red Devils from hometown club Roma in 2008 but was unable to break into the first team at Old Trafford and spent time out on loan at Peterborough, Royal Antwerp and Charlton.

A United statement read: "Everyone at Manchester United would like to wish Davide well at his new club."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Everton cancel trip to Russia

Everton have cancelled a supporters' day trip package to Russian city Krasnodar after a lack of interest.

Romelu%20Lukaku%20of%20Everton%20celebrates%20his%20goal%20during%20the%20Barclays%20Premier%20League%20match%20between%20Hull%20City%20and%20Everton%20.jpg

Tuesday 9th September 2014

Roberto Martinez's team take on FC Krasnodar on October 2 in their second Europa League Group H fixture and proposals for fans wanting to go to the game were revealed last week.

But the club have now withdrawn the day trip package for the clash in Russia after numbers failed to meet the "minimum requirement".

An Everton spokesman said: "It is with regret we have had to cancel the trip. Any supporter who had applied will be written to directly to inform them that their application has failed. Please do note that no monies will be taken from your account."

The day trip packages, which are being offered in association with Everton's travel partners Thomas Cook, for the other two away games in Group H - against Lille and Wolfsburg - are going ahead as planned.

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Man United won't struggle under Van Gaal - Charlton

448375_heroa.jpg

Sep 9, 2014 10:31:00

The Dutchman is yet to see his side win a competitive fixture but the legendary former midfielder has backed the club to return to winning ways soon

Sir Bobby Charlton expects Manchester United to go on a “great adventure” under Louis van Gaal this season.

United endured a dismal season under David Moyes last term, finishing seventh and subsequently missing out on European football entirely.

But Charlton is sure the Dutchman can turn the club’s fortunes around and believes United – who acquired such stars as Angel Di Maria and Radamel Falcao in the summer – will benefit from having no Champions League commitments in 2014-15.

“It seems strange that Manchester United aren’t involved in European football for a season,” Charlton told the Daily Mail. “It’s crazy but maybe it can make things easier for us.

“We’ve started with some new players, we’ve not been playing well but we will play well. I think that it’s going to be a great adventure of how we pull ourselves back round and get back to the way it used to be.”

Van Gaal has overseen two draws in his opening three Premier League games as Red Devils manager but Charlton is sure United will soon get back to winning ways.

“He has given me and most of us fans some good news,” he added. “We won’t struggle, definitely we won’t struggle any more.

“It’s just such a strange environment the way that it’s all happened, that Manchester United is out of the news but it won’t be for very long.”