• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pardew's future hanging on by a thread

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has revealed he has not discussed his future with owner Mike Ashley following the Magpies poor start to the season.

Newcastle%20United%20fans%20hold%20a%20%27Pardew%20Is%20A%20Muppet%27%20banner%20during%20the%20Barclays%20Premier%20League%20match%20between%20Southampton%20and%20Newcastle%20United%20.jpg

Thursday 18th September 2014

Pardew's future has become the subject of fevered speculation after Newcastle's dismal start to the campaign, with the winless Magpies sitting bottom of the Barclays Premier League with just two points from their opening four fixtures.

Some Newcastle fans unfurled a 'Pardew Out' banner during Saturday's 4-0 loss at Southampton and the frustration comes not only after their stuttering start to this season, but also after a dour end to the 2013-14 campaign, when they lost 14 of their last 20 league matches.

Pardew admits that results need to improve, starting with the Premier League encounter at home against Hull on Saturday, and that discussion about his St James' Park future is not of primary concern.

He said: "I have spoken to Mike, we had a long conversation on Sunday and obviously he was disappointed with the performance, as he has a right to as the owner, and he reflected that to me.

"The one thing that we both agreed on was that we really need to focus on this Saturday and try and get a win for the football club.

"I think that's very important. Certain issues, particularly the issue regarding me, have to somewhat take a bit of a back seat for the team because it's going to be a very difficult environment."

The former West Ham, Southampton and Reading boss, who signed an eight-year deal in September 2012, expects a tough encounter when Newcastle welcome Hull to St James' Park at weekend.

He added: "Of course he (Ashley) was upset about the performance and really we focused on that, and I never asked for any reassurance, but what I do know is that I signed a long contract here for good or bad.

"We've had some great times, which seem to have been forgotten recently, and we've had some tough times as well.

"This will be one of the toughest. I have been through some tough times as manager but the environment for the players this Saturday will probably be as tough as it's ever been."

The Magpies face the Tigers for the first time since Pardew headbutted David Meyler during their Premier League encounter at the KC Stadium in March.

Pardew's touchline altercation with the Hull midfielder landed him a seven-game ban - including a three-game stadium exclusion - while earlier on Thursday Newcastle assistant boss John Carver and goalkeeping coach Andy Woodman issued apologies after clashes with fans at the weekend.

Carver confronted some of Newcastle's travelling supporters before the defeat to Southampton on Saturday after spotting the 'Pardew Out' banner in the St Mary's stands, while Woodman got himself in hot water after posting an inappropriate private message to a supporter on Twitter, which was then made public.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Solskjaer steps down as Cardiff boss

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has stepped down as manager of Cardiff, the Sky Bet Championship club have confirmed.

455571214.jpg

Thursday 18th September 2014

Solskjaer spent Wednesday in London holding talks with club officials after Tuesday night's 1-0 home defeat to Middlesbrough had left them in 17th place in the league.

The Norwegian joined Cardiff at the start of January but won only five of his 25 league games in charge as the Bluebirds were relegated from the Barclays Premier League and then made a poor start to the new season.

Solskjaer, in a statement on the club website, paid tribute to owner Vincent Tan for allowing him to manage Cardiff.

"I want to thank Vincent for giving me the opportunity to manage Cardiff City FC," Solskjaer said.

"He has my full respect and I really wish him all the best in his pursuit of making this football club successful.

"However, our difference in philosophy on how to manage the club made me decide to step aside and allow the club to move forward in the direction Vincent wants.

"I leave the club with some very talented players and want to thank them for their efforts and hope to see them challenge for promotion this season.

"I also want to thank (chairman) Mehmet Dalman for his continued and loyal support and feel I have gained a new friend."

Malaysian businessman Tan - who had fallen out spectacularly with previous manager Malky Mackay before the Scot's departure in December - said on the club's official website: "Ole was hired by Cardiff City on our understanding and belief that he would help us fight relegation from the Barclays Premier League.

"Unfortunately that did not happen. After the club was relegated many people advised me to let him go, but I decided to keep Ole on for the Championship season.

"Regrettably our recent results do not justify Ole's continued role as manager at Cardiff.

"Ole has therefore decided to step down and I have accepted this. During my short association with Ole, I have found him to be an honest and hard-working professional, but unfortunately the football results were not in his favour.

"As long as I am the owner of this club, Ole and his family will always be welcome in the Chairman's Suite as my guests.

"I wish Ole the very best in his future career in football. We now begin the process of finding his replacement and working towards giving all our stakeholders in Cardiff City the results they deserve."

Club chairman Dalman added: "Having spoken with Ole on deciding the best course of action for all parties, I'm sorry to say that we have agreed that it is in the best interest of the club for us to go our separate ways.

"Ole has been a wonderful professional to work with since his arrival at the club. Due to a difference in philosophy of approach to the game, we have decided to part company amicably.

"He and his family will always be welcome at Cardiff City. I know I have gained a good friend whom I wish well and remain confident in his future success."

Wales defender Danny Gabbidon, who returned to the club as a player-coach last month, and Scott Young, another former Cardiff player now coaching in the academy, will take charge of the team for the league trip to Derby on Saturday.

Cardiff have already been linked with Dundee manager Paul Hartley and Welshman Tony Pulis, who is currently out of work after leaving Crystal Palace last month.

But both men appeared to distance themselves from the post on Thursday, with Dundee insisting that 37-year-old former Scotland midfielder Hartley would be staying at Dens Park.

"Regarding the recent speculation and reports out of England. The club would like to confirm that manager Paul Hartley has long term plans to stay at Dundee Football Club," said a Dundee statement.

"Paul is committed to the club and is looking forward and focused on the upcoming derby matches this week.

"As a club, we are not surprised that speculation linking Paul to other clubs has come up due to the fantastic job he continues to do at Dens Park.

"The club and Paul see the solid foundation which has already been put in place as the beginning of a long- term plan which will see Paul at the helm of the club for years to come."

Newport-born Pulis, by coincidence, was at a Kuala Lumpur hotel owned by Tan doing a Q&A for Malaysian TV. His interviewer, Belinda Chee, wrote on Twitter than Pulis told her "he has never been approached by Cardiff and that he would prefer to stay in the premier league".

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal announce €2.5m profit drop in latest financial figures

456897_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Sep 19, 2014 16:53:00

The club have announced a €27 million increase in turnover from 2013, but wages have risen after Theo Walcott, Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere all signed improved deals

Arsenal have announced a €6 million [£4.7m] profit in their latest financial figures, a €2.5m [£2m] drop from the club's results from 2013.

The financial results, which covered the year ending on May 31, 2014, also revealed a €27m [£21.5m] increase in turnover from 2013 to €383.5m [£301.9m] due to increased broadcasting income from the Premier League, last season’s FA Cup run and commercial deals.

Wages have also risen from €196m [£154.5m] in 2013 to €211.3m [£166.4m] and represent 55.7 per cent of Arsenal’s football revenue.

Having spent just over €95m [£75m] on Alexis Sanchez, Calum Chambers, Mathieu Debuchy, David Ospina and Danny Welbeck this summer, Arsenal confirmed that profit made on sales of player registration was reduced to €8.7m [£6.9m] from €60m [£47m].

A statement from Arsenal claimed that the club “continues to be in a robust financial position” and has a cash balance of €220m [£173.3m], an increase from €152m [£119.6m] in 2013.

“The club is in excellent shape, both on and off the pitch,” said chief executive Ivan Gazidis.

“There is always more to do and, whether investing in the team or in training facilities which will provide long-term benefit to the club, our guiding principles are the same and our focus is clear - on delivering more on-field success.

“This remains the shared ambition of our majority shareholder, Stan Kroenke, the board and everyone connected with the club.

“We are well-placed to deliver against those ambitions.”

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Assou-Ekotto fined and suspended by FA over quenelle tweets

425862_heroa.jpg

Sep 19, 2014 16:21:00

The defender, who has not featured for Tottenham this season, has been handed a three-game ban and a €63,500 fine

Benoit Assou-Ekotto has been suspended for three matches and fined €63,500 [£50,000] by the English Football Association after being found guilty of improper conduct in relation to a tweet about Nicolas Anelka's quenelle gesture.

The 30-year-old, who has not been included in Tottenham’s squad this season, has also been ordered to complete a compulsory education course.

Anelka was banned by the FA for performing the quenelle gesture after scoring against West Ham last December, and after the incident Assou-Ekotto posted on Twitter: "jte fellicite man belle keunel epaule," which, translated into English, reads: "I congratulate you on the beautiful quenelle."

Mr Peter Griffiths QC said when delivering the decision: "Even though we have found that there was an aggravated breach of FA Rule E3 we are satisfied that when the player sent the tweet on the 28th December 2013 congratulating Anelka, in his mind he believed he was congratulating Anelka on what he perceived to be an anti-establishment gesture as opposed to one associated with anti-Semitism."

Assou-Ekotto has seven days to appeal the decision.

The left-back spent last season on loan at QPR but failed to secure a move away in the summer and has yet to make an appearance for Tottenham this term.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal admits interest in Ronaldo

Louis van Gaal would be interested in bringing Cristiano Ronaldo back to Old Trafford, but he does not think Real Madrid are willing to sell him.

200514ronaldo.jpg

Saturday 20th September 2014

Speculation that Ronaldo is interested in a return to Manchester United increased this week when former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon claimed the Portuguese super star was "fed up" at the club's decision to sell a number of players, including Angel di Maria, who is now playing under Van Gaal at Old Trafford.

The United manager did little to quash those rumours at his pre-match press conference on Friday.

When asked whether he could bring Ronaldo back to United, where he enjoyed six successful years, Van Gaal said: "Yes, but it's always a discussion in the papers, and I don't think the media shall buy Ronaldo."

When pushed on the matter again, the United manager said: "It is possible.

"That's what I have said with Falcao. Players like Ronaldo give a lot of extra to a team, but I don't think Real Madrid shall sell him."

Ronaldo won eight major trophies under Sir Alex Ferguson before moving to the Bernabeu five years ago in a then world-record £80million transfer.

The current world player of the year, now 29, hinted last month he would be interested in moving back to his former club.

''I love Manchester and you never know in football. Of course I'm happy at Real Madrid; it's my home, it's my club, but United treated me unbelievably, so you never know," Ronaldo told MUTV before United played Real Madrid during their tour of the United States of America.

''I am still in contact with some people there because I had a good relationship with everybody - it was like my second family.''

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger leaps to Ozil's defence

Mesut Ozil must not be used as a "scapegoat" for Arsenal's shortcomings, manager Arsene Wenger has insisted.

Mesut%20Ozil%20of%20Arsenal.jpg

Friday 19th September 2014

The German World Cup winner, who is Arsenal's record £42million signing, has come under fire following a couple of uninspiring displays, culminating in the 2-0 Champions League defeat away to Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday night.

Wenger, though, rejected constant criticism of the 25-year-old, who remains an integral part of his plans.

"Why should he be a scapegoat? For what? We've lost one game since April 1. Let's be realistic," said Wenger, whose side travel to Aston Villa on Saturday.

"We have come out of a very difficult preparation period with decisive games. We had very difficult games against Besiktas. I don't know - a scapegoat for what?"

Wenger continued: "What is difficult to manage today is that everybody knows absolutely everything and everybody judges people definitely on one game. You have to accept that football is played by human beings who have ups and downs like you have in your life.

"You have plenty of tacticians in the world who have managed zero games. You have to accept their opinion - they might be right, they might be wrong as well. They have to accept that.

"We live in a world where everybody has an opinion and we have to live with that. At the end of the day, somebody always has to make a decision and that's the guy who is responsible."

Wenger called for Arsenal fans to get behind the German, who was signed from Real Madrid on deadline day in September 2013.

"They should not be concerned and just support him. I understand that you want your best players always to make the difference in every single game and we all go through periods where we are a bit less good," he said.

"You help. A club is a union between players, supporters and directors. You have to be united and sometimes go through periods together where it goes a bit less well."

Arsenal expect to have defender Calum Chambers and midfielder Mathieu Flamini available after missing the Dortmund game.

Jack Wilshere's ankle knock is not serious, but the club are still waiting on news of the injury to full-back Mathieu Debuchy, who was carried off against Manchester City on a stretcher.

"He has an exploration of his ankle on Friday night and they go in and look how the ligament is damaged, and after that we know if he does need surgery," said Wenger, who indicated Arsenal may yet move for a free agent defender as cover, having been linked with Nigeria international Joseph Yobo.

"If he doesn't, it'll be six weeks, if he does need surgery it'll be three months. At the moment we don't know."

Arsenal are unbeaten in the Premier League, but have now drawn three matches.

Wenger said: "We want to respond (at Villa). We had a disappointing performance more than a defeat.

"I think what was important is that we came out of Saturday's game feeling that we had a very good performance and on Tuesday night we didn't, so it's important we come back.

"We have confidence in our strengths and we want to show that we can perform in the game that is important on Saturday."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says he has 'no relationship' with Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo

Jose Mourinho says he would welcome a return to work at Real Madrid again but insists he is not in contact with his former player Cristiano Ronaldo

mou-ron-afp_3044841b.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho enjoyed a fruitful relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo at Real Madrid Photo: AFP / GETTY IMAGES

By Telegraph Sport
3:15PM BST 19 Sep 2014

Jose Mourinho has played down speculation linking Chelsea with a move for Cristiano Ronaldo, saying he has "no relationship" with the player.

There has been much talk in recent weeks of Ronaldo seeking a transfer away from Real Madrid this summer, but the Chelsea manager told Portugal's TVI there has been no contact with his former player.

"There is no relationship," Mourinho said. "He plays for Real Madrid and I am Chelsea manager. We do not tend to meet in the street."

"There is no relationship, but there are memories. I remember the good times and the bad times.

"I must remember a kid who is a goalscoring machine, who helped me to be a champion, to win the Copa del Rey and the Super Copa. Probably I also helped him

"We all helped each other, mutually, to make history, winning the title with 100 points against the best Barcelona team in history.

"Of Cristiano Ronaldo the player I keep the best memories and I wish him the best in his career, more with Portugal than with the club."

Mourinho would not rule out a return to the Bernabeu, where he endured an up and down spell as manager.

"Yes definitely," he replied when asked if he would go back to Madrid. "It was an experience as a man and as a coach that I would repeat again without thinking twice."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

458544_thumb.jpg

'Bony distraught after dismissal'
The Ivory Coast international striker was hugely upset after being shown two yellow cards in the first half of his club's loss at the Liberty Stadium

458533_thumb.jpg

Rafael: I want to stay at Manchester United forever
The Brazilian full-back has seen many of his long-time team-mates depart Old Trafford over the summer but is keen to establish himself under Louis van Gaal and stay put

458515_thumb.jpg

West Ham 3-1 Liverpool: Third Premier League defeat in four matches for the Reds
Goals from Winston Reid, Diafra Sakho and Morgan Amalfitano boost the Hammers as Brendan Rodgers' side slump to another loss seven days after Aston Villa triumphed at Anfield

458501_thumb.jpg

Wenger praises Welbeck as Arsenal cruise past Aston Villa
The Gunners boss pays tribute to his €19 million striker after his first goal for the club in a tremendous three-minute blitz and insists that Alexis Sanchez was merely rested

458439_thumb.jpg

Swansea 0-1 Southampton: Wanyama wins it after Bony red
Ronald Koeman's new-look Saints moved up to second place in the Premier League table after the Kenya international's powerful late strike ended the hosts' resistance

458454_thumb.jpg

Burnley 0-0 Sunderland: All square in low-quality clash
The two sides, both ailing at the foot of the table, struggled for chances in Saturday's clash and will have to wait a little longer to earn their first win of the campaign

458486_thumb.jpg

Newcastle 2-2 Hull City: Pardew clings on as Cisse inspires fightback
The Magpies manager was the target of protests from supporters before the game but he brought on the Senegalese striker to rescue his side from two goals down at St James's Park

458430_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Ozil stars as Welbeck bags first Gunners goal
The Germany international scored the opener before setting up his £16 million team-mate as Arsene Wenger's men blew away the hosts in a devastating three-minute flurry

458394_thumb.jpg

QPR 2-2 Stoke City: Kranjcar stunner rescues point for Rs
Peter Crouch looked to have given the Potters a deserved win at Loftus Road just after the break but the Croatian midfielder's free kick right at the death pegged them back

458324_thumb.jpg

Rodgers backs 'aggressive' Mignolet
The Belgium international has featured in all of Liverpool's matches so far this season, keeping a clean sheet only once, but he has been backed by his boss to improve

458328_thumb.jpg

Van Gaal: Falcao & Van Persie can play together
The Colombia international joined the club on a season-long loan on transfer deadline day and the Dutchman insists the two forwards will complement each other at Old Trafford

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodgers: Liverpool nowhere near good enough

458538_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
Sep 20, 2014 22:57:00

The Reds boss identified a number of issues with his side following their loss at Upton Park, and says his players are not living up the expectations placed upon them

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers admits his team are not living up to expectations after slumping to their third defeat in five Premier League matches, at West Ham.

Rodgers says the Reds were "brilliant" last season, when they finished second behind Manchester City, but says his current crop are currently struggling to reach those heights.

After watching his team go down 3-1 at Upton Park, he told reporters: "I have to look at my own team and we were nowhere near the standard. We made a really slow start and before we knew it we were 2-0 down.

"Lots of elements of our game have been very good over the last couple of seasons but for some reason it just isn’t happening for us at the moment.

"We’ve got a lot of work to do and today was very disappointing in terms of performance."

"We’ve set a new expectancy at the club that we have to deal with now. Liverpool is always a club that people want to beat but it becomes even more that way when you get into the Champions League.

"We have to deal with that. We were brilliant last season. At this point last season we weren’t playing to the level we finished last three or four months. I remember everyone asking ‘Will we get enough goals?’ and we finished with 101 goals. I look at us and think we’ve got a bit of work to do."

West Ham went 2-0 up inside the first seven minutes thanks to goals from Winston Reid and Diafra Sakho, and although Raheem Sterling pulled one back midway through the first half it was Morgan Amalfitano who got the fourth goal late on.

"They had a better intensity than us," Rodgers lamented, before identifying a number of problem areas in his squad. "We had too many long passes. Normally our passing is shorter, crisper, faster, but today we didn’t show enough composure on the ball.

"The intensity of our group wasn’t up to the level we expect, but I’m very fortunate to have a very honest group of players who know that and over the course of the season we’ll get better and better.

"When it went to 2-1 we had enough time and regained a bit of composure. I felt I had to change the system to give us a new dimension in the game.

"We need to re-focus now and get back to winning again. We need to go away and reflect honestly. We’re back on the training ground tomorrow and we know we’ll have to be better than that."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho calls on Uefa to strip titles from teams who breach FFP

457007_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock

Sep 20, 2014 11:38:00

The Portuguese does not believe the governing body are doing enough to combat teams who breach financial rules, like Manchester City, and has called for stricter punishments

Jose Mourinho has called on Uefa to remove points and titles from teams who breach Financial Fair Play, like Chelsea’s title rivals Manchester City.

The Blues travel to the Etihad Stadium on Sunday to face City, who were fined €60 million earlier this year and were also forced to cut their Champions League squad from 25 players to 21.

They were also handed a ban on increasing their wage bill but Mourinho does not believe financial penalties are enough, and suggested that clubs in the Champions League should be downgraded to the Europa League if they fail to fall in line.

"Everybody knows there are fines and, if these fines exist, control exists," said Mourinho in an interview with Portuguese website Maisfutebol.

"But, anyway, are the fines fair? I don’t think so. In my opinion the first thing to do would be to remove points and remove titles. If you have important capital which allows you to overcome financial fair play, if you win titles and then you are fined economically, you keep doing the same thing.

"They will take from you one or two players from the Champions League list [shrugs]. Then, instead of 24, you go with 22. But if you’re stating that you’ll start the next Champions League with six points fewer, or you won’t play in the next edition of the Champions League and will go into the Europa League instead, it is more serious."

Chelsea have reportedly reduced their wage bill from last season but sit atop the Premier League table, having taken maximum points from their opening four games.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lampard could be Chelsea boss after me, hints Mourinho

458313_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Sep 20, 2014 09:41:00

The former England international left Stamford Bridge last season as the club's all-time top scorer and the Portuguese has revealed the player has an open invitation to return

Jose Mourinho has hinted that Frank Lampard could be his successor as Chelsea manager, despite the player's loan move to Manchester City.

The 36-year-old left Stamford Bridge at the end of last season as the club's all-time top scorer and with two Premier League winners' medals - but soon went to the Etihad Stadium after joining New York City FC.

Mourinho has dimissed suggestions the former England international tarnished his legacy at Chelsea with the move, instead revealing that Lampard has an open invitation to "do what he wants" when the time suits.

"I still believe that what this club proposed to him, which is to be back when he wants and to do what he wants - these were the words from Mr Abramovich - I think it's not in any danger," Mourinho told reporters.

"It's just a period of his career. We thought he was going to play for New York. He decided to play for City. It was just an option, and he had that right to do that.

"His place in Chelsea's history is untouchable. I think, in the future, nothing has been lost. He can be back one day, I think so. If he wants to be a manager, he could succeed me."

Chelsea face Premier League champions City on Sunday off the back of four wins from their opening four games, and after playing down his side's title chances last season Mourinho is more confident for this term.

"I think [Manchester City] are the same team as last season, no?" he said. "We improved. We improved our squad and our team. I'm not saying we [don't] have problems - we have big space to improve.

"I want to make everything better. Everything. I'm not happy with what we have. We must improve in everything. We are in the beginning of our second season. We are far from being the perfect team.

"Are we better than last season? We believe so. Do we have more potential than before? I believe so. But we still have lots of work to do."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

City's squad is getting old, says Neville

458321_heroa.jpg

By James Willoughby
Sep 20, 2014 11:14:00

England's assistant coach believes the recently crowned Premier League champions need to lower the average age of their squad in order to avoid a steady decline

England assistant coach Gary Neville believes Manchester City could struggle to repeat their recent heroics with an ageing squad.

City have won two of the last three Premier League titles and lifted the FA Cup in 2011 and the Capital One Cup earlier this year.

They have failed to claim continental success, though, and lost their first Champions League match of the season at Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

And Neville – a former stalwart of City's arch-rivals Manchester United – claims Sunday's fixture against league leaders Chelsea could highlight the champions' need for youth.

"With great teams you can reel off most of the starting XI without thinking. With Manchester City, nine of the Premier League-winning players roll off the tongue," Neville wrote in The Telegraph.

"But I wonder if the English champions are also now rolling towards the edge of decline as they try to capture the Champions League.

"Sunday's clash between Manchester City and Chelsea in Manchester is fascinating and could tell us which of the two teams is developing in the best direction.

"Chelsea's average age is 26.9. Man City’s squad is 28.9. In modern terms, that's old.

"I think [Chelsea boss] Jose Mourinho has adapted his squad cleverly in the last 12 months, selling Juan Mata and David Luiz for big money and then using the proceeds wisely.

"His team will have two more years longevity than City. The average age of City's squad is also the highest in the Premier League."

Neville – who was quick to praise City and their ability to win the Premier League – believes the age of their squad leaves them in a potentially "dangerous position".

And according to Neville, coach Manuel Pellegrini has some key decisions to make.

"Make no mistake, City have been a great Premier League side," he added.

"The 'constants', as I call them, are easy to pick out. Joe Hart, Vincent Kompany, Pablo Zabaleta, David Silva, Yaya Toure, Samir Nasri, Sergio Aguero.

"Two championships in three years marks them out as a great English side who sit alongside the title-winning teams of Arsene Wenger, Mourinho and Sir Alex Ferguson.

"But just looking at them now, and where they are in their development, I feel this team is in a dangerous position.

"The value of those players will drop quite sharply in the next 18 months because everyone will know they are going over the edge.

"City are one of two teams who can take the Premier League title this year but Pellegrini and the board have some big decisions to make in the next 12 months if they want Europe's biggest prize."

City have taken seven points from their first four Premier League matches – five fewer than Chelsea.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini: City must win at all costs

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini sees this weekend's early-season clash with title rivals Chelsea as a 'must-win' encounter.

Manchester%20City%20Manager%20Manuel%20Pellegrini%20gives%20orders%20to%20Stevan%20Jovetic.jpg

Saturday 20th September 2014

Pellegrini's men are just four games into their Barclays Premier League title defence, but already trail leaders Chelsea by five points.

The thought of falling eight points behind by losing at the Etihad Stadium is one Pellegrini does not want to contemplate.

Recent results do not make good reading for City, who have not won in three in all competitions, but Pellegrini is focusing on turning statistics in his favour with a victory.

The Chilean said: "I always try to think of positives, so I hope we are not going to lose and we not going to go eight points behind Chelsea.

"I think we were unlucky in the last two games - against Bayern Munich in the way we lost with that goal and against Arsenal we deserved to win the three points.

"But things happen. We must win our next game at home and with that we will be two points behind the leader.

"That for me will be a very good start after playing Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. That is why it is important to win on Sunday."

City will need to find a way to halt Chelsea's in-form striker Diego Costa, who has hit the ground running at Stamford Bridge.

The £32million Spain international has scored seven in his first four Premier League appearances, including a hat-trick against Swansea last weekend.

Another summer signing, Cesc Fabregas, has also made a big impression and quickly built up a dangerous understanding with Costa.

Pellegrini said: "They have very good players and they are in a very good moment, so we have to play a very good game if we want to win.

"For me it is not a surprise. Last year it was a very strong squad with very good players and this year they have increased their squad, they have more and better players.

"But there is a long way to go, it is just four games and we play 38. We will see what happens in future.

"I think that we didn't start badly. Maybe the game we lost here against Stoke that was an unusual game, but we hope we recover here, playing at home, and get three points on Sunday."

Pellegrini, as is usually the case, refused to be drawn into speaking about Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho when he spoke to media at his press conference to preview the match.

Pellegrini and Mourinho have a rivalry dating back to when the latter succeeded the former as Real Madrid boss in 2010.

"It is nothing important," the Chilean said. "Every time you ask me the same question when we play against Mourinho.

"I don't have any problem with him. This profession - we manage in different ways and nothing more. Nothing important."

City are still without striker Stevan Jovetic and midfielder Fernando due to injury, but Pellegrini is planning to unleash Sergio Aguero.

The Argentina forward has been used only sparingly this term as he is eased back into action following a series of muscle injuries in the second half of last season, including the World Cup.

Aguero has found the net three times this season, but played only 16 minutes in the Champions League loss at Bayern Munich in midweek.

Pellegrini said: "He is very important. Maybe Sergio in this moment is not ready to play three games in one week (of) 90 minutes.

"That is why I thought it was better for him and the squad not to play 90 minutes against Bayern.

"He is fresh for Sunday and I am sure he will make a difference."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

459027_thumb.jpg

Pearson praises Leicester City spirit after victory over Manchester United
The Foxes fought back from 3-1 down to beat Louis van Gaal's side 5-3 in an amazing game on Sunday and the 51-year-old was effusive in his praise of his players afterwards

458991_thumb.jpg

Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard ends Mourinho’s perfect start
The Blues legend volleyed in James Milner's cross to pull the Premier League champions level after Andre Schurrle had broken the deadlock and Pablo Zabaleta had seen red

458986_thumb.jpg

Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Warnock up and running as Eagles edge five-goal thriller
For the second consecutive Premier League meeting between the two sides at Goodison Park, the London side have emerged victorious after produced a battling display

458901_thumb.jpg

Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Vardy and Ulloa combine to crush Van Gaal’s flops
The Red Devils led at the interval but imploded in the second half against Nigel Pearson's men, who came back from two goals down to claim a famous win

458909_thumb.jpg

Tottenham 0-1 West Brom: Morrison sinks sorry Spurs
Despite dominating possession, the hosts managed just one shot on target as they fell to defeat against a hard-working Baggies side to move off the bottom of the table

458815_thumb.jpg

Pardew: Newcastle United should not have played Cisse
The 29-year-old made his first appearance for five months but, although he scored both goals, his manager revealed he was risked despite warnings from the club's medical staff

458755_thumb.jpg

Cambiasso: We have a winning mentality
The 34-year-old is happy to be at the newly promoted club and feels their exploits in the Championship, where they won the title, will be beneficial this season

458319_thumb.jpg

Toure: I didn't demand a birthday cake from Manchester City
The Ivory Coast star appeared to back his agent over an incident surrounding his birthday last May yet the midfielder has now insisted any comments were intended as a joke

457419_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: I can’t believe Barca let Cesc leave
The manager has revealed he was surprised by the Catalan club's decision to sell the midfielder but not he didn't seal a return to former club Arsenal

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal on crushing Manchester United defeat: How is it possible?

458938_heroa.jpg

Sep 21, 2014 16:24:00

The Red Devils twice led by two goals against Leicester City but conceded four times in the second-half as Nigel Pearson's men roared back to claim a famous win

Louis van Gaal believes Manchester United’s inability to keep possession was their “main mistake” in Sunday’s 5-3 defeat to Leicester City.

United twice led by two at the King Power Stadium but four second-half strikes from Nigel Pearson's side saw them roar back to claim a famous win after an eight-goal thriller.

The result leaves the Red Devils languishing in 13th in the Premier League having taken just five points from their first five matches and after the match Van Gaal admitted his team's collapse was unacceptable.

"We had complete control,” the Dutchman told reporters.

“How is it possible that you give this game away? Leicester has proved already in former games that they have strong character. But when it's 1-3 and you can play the game with more possession until the 90 minutes, then you cannot do these kind of things.

“It's always possible in football. I have [had] a long career so I have [had] this experience in Barcelona once already. You cannot imagine [it], but it happens.

"I don't want to criticise personal errors because that happens in a game. We didn't keep the ball in possession, that was our main mistake I believe. We created a lot of chances.

“We make fantastic goals. That's a plus, but we lost the game, that's the most important thing so you cannot be happy because of the first part."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Balotelli taunts Manchester United after Leicester loss

458914_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young

Sep 21, 2014 17:32:00

The Liverpool striker, who played a key role in Manchester City's 6-1 win at Old Trafford three years ago, revelled in the Red Devils' second-half collapse on Twitter

Mario Balotelli has taunted Manchester United following Sunday's shock 5-3 loss to newly-promoted Leicester City.

Robin van Persie and Angel Di Maria gave United a 2-0 lead inside 16 minutes, with Ander Herrera restoring the margin just before the hour-mark.

However, goals from David Nugent, from the penalty-spot, and Esteban Cambiasso saw Leicester fight back before Jamie Vardy and Leonardo Ulloa's second claimed a stunning victory.

United's collapse marked the first time in Premier League history they have seen a two-goal lead slip on the way to losing a game.

And Balotelli, who recently joined Liverpool and includes Manchester City among his former sides, took to Twitter to broadcast his post-match reaction soon after the final whistle.

tXgQcTE.jpg

Unfortunately, in response, the striker received a barrage of racist abuse from a number of Twitter users. Others, in defence of Balotelli, reported a number of the messages to police.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

“I’m just doing my job” – Lampard reacts to scoring AGAINST Chelsea

459003_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Sep 21, 2014 18:33:00

The 36-year-old came on as a substitute to net his first goal for Manchester City - against his former club - to salvage a point for the Premier League champions

Frank Lampard admits he was “lost for words” after his first goal for Manchester City rescued a 1-1 draw against Chelsea.

After nearly 13 years at Stamford Bridge, Lampard left the club earlier this summer and agreed a deal with New York City FC but joined Manchester City on loan until January.

City, who were reduced to 10 men after Pablo Zabaleta's dismissal, fell behind following Andre Schurrle's second-half strike but Lampard, on as a substitute, netted with five minutes remaining to salvage a point for the Premier League champions.

"It’s a really difficult one,” Lampard told Sky Sports.

“I’d be unprofessional if I didn’t come on and do my job. I tried to get back in the box, it was a great ball from Milly [James Milner]. I had 13 amazing years with Chelsea fans. So I’m mixed [sic] with it. Obviously, I’m really pleased the team I play for got a draw, so it a really hard one for me to answer.

“I’m a bit lost for words. I didn’t expect to come on and score like that. I come on and the Chelsea fans are signing and that’s emotional, then I’m playing for this club who have taken me in brilliantly as well. So I’m really stuck in the middle here.”

“I didn’t know what I wanted from today, it was a tough one. I suppose this can be seen as a happy medium at the end. It’s a long season, and these two teams, plus others will fight on, it’ll make for an interesting Premier League.”

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Stoke in disguise: Chelsea played like a small team, claims Pellegrini

459048_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Sep 21, 2014 21:09:00

The Premier League champions went behind after Andre Schurrle's strike but were rescued by Frank Lampard, who netted against his former club to seal a point

Manuel Pellegrini has accused Chelsea of playing like a “small team” in their 1-1 draw with Manchester City on Sunday.

The reigning Premier League champions were reduced to 10 men in the second half after Pablo Zabaleta’s dismissal and went behind following Andre Schurrle’s strike from close range.

However, Frank Lampard, on as a substitute, scored against his former club with five minutes remaining to salvage a point for City.

Pellegrini has likened Chelsea's mentality to Stoke City's, despite the fact Mark Hughes' men beat the Premier League champions at the Etihad Stadium in August.

"I'm not satisfied with the result," the Chilean said. "I think we played 90 minutes against a small team just trying to defend; trying to just to keep 10 players in front of their goal.

"[We were] the team that wanted to win from the beginning, we had two or three clear chances especially in the second and after we went down to 10 players we continued trying to win.

"That is why I'm satisfied with the performance of the team but not so satisfied with the score.

"I don't want to analyse Chelsea. I think we played against the same team as we played against Stoke here.

"It was very difficult for us to score but what the other teams do - it's not my duty to analyse."

The Chilean also praised Lampard following the 36-year-old’s first goal for City since arriving on loan at the start of August.

"He's a top player,” Pellegrini said.

“When I talked with him about staying with our team before he goes to New York and he said yes, I was sure he would be a very important player for us.

“I asked him if he wants to be involved today, and of course he wants to be involved. He's a great professional. I congratulate him because it's not easy but he always wanted to be involved."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lampard spares Pellegrini’s blushes but Manchester City swagger missing again

459002_heroa.jpg

Sep 21, 2014 20:30:00

The former Blues star rescued a point against the side he served for 13 years but the champions are still failing to hit the heights they reached last season

COMMENT
By Paul Macdonald at the Etihad Stadium

The Chelsea fans chanted Frank Lampard’s name as he came on to face his former club. Those same fans should have known all too well what their former son is capable of. It looked like a Chelsea victory, and a real statement in the context of the title race. Fifteen points out of fifteen. And perhaps it should have been.

But Lampard arrived in the box in characteristic fashion, and his equaliser not only served to save Manchester City from an abject defeat but made the day about him rather than the failings of a team struggling for form and consistency.

It has been a troubling start to the season for Manuel Pellegrini’s side; defeats to Stoke and Bayern Munich have highlighted the fact that this team looks to have plateaued rather than continued a gradual progression towards excellence.

Their problems in attack appear difficult to solve. The departure of Alvaro Negredo has left them with just three strikers, and Stevan Jovetic’s injury problems are well documented. When Edin Dzeko plays like he is at the moment – always on the periphery but never actually impacting the match – it leaves City short of a genuine goal threat.

City continue to rely on the players that have made them great in order to perform, and too many of them are below par at the moment. David Silva is not as inventive and creative as he has been before, while Yaya Toure just can’t get going. He is existing in matches rather than providing any kind of positive impact and City aren’t the same team without him on top form.

Lampard’s strike five minutes from time spared City from another damaging defeat, but it shouldn’t hide the team’s failings. Seven goals in their opening seven matches including the Community Shield, when compared with 20 over the same period last season, speaks volumes. Chelsea were rarely troubled here and Jose Mourinho’s gameplan almost worked to perfection.

Indeed Mourinho would have likely taken a point before kick-off but given how the match played out he might leave disappointed that Andre Schurrle’s second-half strike, after superb play from Eden Hazard, didn’t prove to be the winner. His team were disciplined and stifled City with relative ease. They are absolutely the favourites for the title and the flaws in their side have been comprehensively solved by the arrival of Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa.

And that’s the problem for City – how many of their new signings in the past three years have taken this team to the next level? Chelsea have shown how vital a successful transfer window can be in transforming a side. City, perhaps influenced negatively by their Financial Fair Play fine, were content with the squad they have, and that could have a huge bearing on their ability to be competitive this season.

Once the matches begin to mount up and the squad is stretched by fitness and injury woes, the depth of the players available to Pellegrini may prove problematic. They are not only expected to provide a staunch defence of their title but get further in the Champions League than they have done before – not an easy task for even the most talented of teams.

An emotional Lampard accepted the acclaim of the entire stadium, doing what other City midfielders couldn’t and get into dangerous positions in the penalty area. But he is a veteran player, and can’t be the solution. Others around him need to take his lead for City to get to the level that is expected of them.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ramsey 'the one that got away' from Manchester United

454497_heroa.jpg

By Tom Davis
Sep 21, 2014 11:44:00

The 23-year-old has been in good form and, after speaking with Sir Alex Ferguson, Wales assistant Osian Roberts believes the Arsenal man "got away" from the Red Devils

Manchester United "lost out" in their failure to sign Aaron Ramsey ahead of Arsenal according to the Wales assistant manager, Osian Roberts.

Ramsey, who initially signed from Cardiff in 2008, hit fine form last season for the Gunners and was rewarded with a new contract before winning the club's Player of the Season award.

And the 23-year-old, who has previously spoken of spurning Manchester United in favour of Arsenal, has now proved United missed out, according to the Wales assistant.

Speaking after the World Cup 2014 debrief, Roberts is quoted in the Mirror as saying: "[Sir Alex Ferguson] had a strong interest in how Aaron is doing because he was very close to signing him.

"He probably looks at it now as one that he lost out on and got away from him.

"It was really nice that he spoke about Aaron."

Ramsey was influential as Arsenal overcame Aston Villa 3-0 on Saturday to push his club into the top four, and they now turn their attentions to the north London derby against Tottenham next week.