• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Owen: Argentina World Cup favourites

413249_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Jun 4, 2014 5:25:00 PM

The former England international believes the likes of Sergio Aguero and Lionel Messi could make the difference for La Albiceleste in Brazil

Michael Owen has tipped Argentina as favourites to win the World Cup this summer.

Argentina have won the tournament twice before - in 1978 and 1986 - but they have failed to make it past the quarter-finals since losing to West Germany in the 1990 final in Italy.

Alejandro Sabella's side have been drawn in Group F, widely seen as one of the more favourable groups, alongside debutants Bosnia-Herzegovina, Nigeria and Iran.

Owen, who represented England at three World Cups, in 1998, 2002 and 2006, believes Sergio Aguero and Lionel Messi will help inspire Argentina to success in their home continent.

"They have good players throughout the team, but Sergio Aguero and Lionel Messi just tip it [for me]," Owen said on Sportlobster.com.

"It will be extremely difficult to stop these two players from scoring. Argentina are more or less in their own backyard and they are used to the altitude and weather.

"The team have some defensive concerns, but Argentineans are typically streetwise.

"I honestly believe they have more quality than the other nations."

Owen has also thrown his support behind Japan to surprise the world at the showpiece event.

Alberto Zaccheroni's men have been pitted against Colombia, Greece and Ivory Coast in Group C and are viewed as a dark horse for the World Cup, with many - including Owen - believing Japan could replicate South Korea's run at the 2002 tournament, which saw them reach the semi-finals.

"I believe Japan will have a good tournament," said Owen.

"They have an average World Cup group, one or two top class players, they performed well in the Olympics and are always extremely fit.

"I don't think they will progress to the semi-finals but the quarters are a possibility."

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Perez: Ronaldo should only play if he’s fit

416793_heroa.jpg

By Matt Jones
Jun 4, 2014 7:15:00 PM

Following the confirmation that the Portuguese star is suffering from tendonitis ahead of the World Cup, the Blancos president feels the forward shouldn't be risked this summer

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has stated that Cristiano Ronaldo shouldn’t play at the World Cup if he is not fully fit.

Portugal have confirmed that Ronaldo is suffering from tendonitis, leaving the side’s captain as a doubt for their World Cup opener against Germany on June 16.

"I'm concerned that a player might get injured as happened with Kaka or with [Sami]Khedira with Germany," Perez told Cadena SER's radio programme, 'El Larguero’.

"Players like Cristiano should only play when they are fit."

Perez then went on to dismiss any current Real Madrid activity in the transfer market, but did reveal that Iker Casillas is set to stay at the Santiago Bernabeu along with Alvaro Morata.

He said: “We haven't made any moves in the market as yet. We'll have a talk with Morata, but we haven't sat down together, yet. I am a friend of the Juve directors, but I haven't spoken with them. The chances of Morata going there are nil.

"I had breakfast with Casillas and his agent. He has never said anything to me about wanting to leave. Casillas has been at Real since he was 9-years-old and as far as I know wants to end his career here.

"He'll see out this year at Real Madrid. Contracts are to be honoured, he has a buy-out clause."

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villa to end Spain career after World Cup

416783_heroa.jpg

By Matt Jones
Jun 4, 2014 7:45:00 PM

The forward, who has won three major championships with La Roja, has confirmed that he will retire from international duty at the end of this summer’s tournament

David Villa has announced that he will bring an end to his international career after the World Cup.

The 32-year-old has won 95 caps for the Spanish national side and, with a move to the MLS in 2015 to New York City FC confirmed, Villa is looking to focus on his club career after the campaign in Brazil.

"I don’t like to say that I’m saying goodbye, but obviously at the World Cup I’ll be playing my last games for Spain," Villa told Channel Cuatro.

"Now I want to enjoy myself from the word go, put in a great World Cup and, why not, get another star [on the Spain shirt]."

Villa added that he feels ready to play on for several more years and is targeting success in America next year after a break from the sport following the World Cup.

He said: "It’s one of the reasons why I’ve accepted [New York City FC’s offer]: I still have a lot of football left in me.

"If not, I would have gone home, although I didn’t consider the possibility of retiring. I want to make a name for myself here and make people talk about David Villa in this part of the world.

"I’m going to train, there’ll be someone by my side the whole time. After the busy time I’ve had, it’ll be good for me. I haven’t had summer holidays for a number of years and in these months I’ll be able to recover well."

And Villa, a member of this season’s league winning Atletico Madrid side, dismissed speculation of a mass exile from the Vicente Calderon, stating that it was nothing new for a successful side to receive interest for it’s stars.

"The players are very happy at Atletico," Villa continued.

"There’s a lot of talk that a number of players are going to leave, but it’s normal that European teams want Atletico’s players. That’s something to be proud about.

"They have contracts and I’m sure that Atletico are going to perform really well for years to come."

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Low calm before World Cup kick-off

415495_heroa.jpg

By Matt Jones
Jun 4, 2014 4:54:00 PM

The Germany coach has emphasised the importance of a composed build-up to the tournament in Brazil and says everything is now in place for his side

Joachim Low has insisted that he is totally calm ahead of the World Cup and says he wants to keep emotions at a minimum as he prepares his Germany squad to travel to Brazil.

Ahead of his second World Cup as coach of Die Mannschaft, Low also said he would not be changing any of his pre-match preparations for South America.

"I even drink a cup of espresso in the changing room shortly before kick-off,” Low told reporters. “Then I go out and soak up the atmosphere.

“That's it then. I am calm at this stage, because the work is done.

“Nervousness of the coach would immediately spread to the players. Hustle and bustle can only arise if a player is injured during the warm-up.”

Germany fly to Brazil on Saturday, a week ahead of their opening fixture against Portugal in Group G, following a friendly tie against Armenia on Friday.

And Low maintained that his side would play no easy games in the World Cup and would have to do their best to cope with the extra rigours of the tournament.

"There are no walkovers in the World Cup, epecially not in this group," said the 54-year-old. "Portugal, USA and Ghana are at the top level internationally, but we will accept the role as favourites.

“You have to have respect - for the heat, high humidity and travel hardships. But complaining won't work. We cannot change these things – we can prepare for them. And we do that."

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sabella excited by attacking options

404304_heroa.jpg

By Luke Sheehan
Jun 4, 2014 4:25:00 PM

The Argentina coach has admitted that he is eager to see what his star-studded forward line can produce at the World Cup

Argentina trainer Alejandro Sabella has revealed his excitement at the prospect of seeing what his side's attacking players can do ahead of the World Cup.

Sabella's 23-man squad boasts the fearsome strikeforce of Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuain, Sergio Aguero and Angel Di Maria, and the 59-year-old can't wait to get them on the pitch in Brazil.
"There are some great players in this team, most of all the forwards," said Sabella.

"Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuain, Sergio Aguero and Angel Di Maria, with them you are enthusiastic, I can't deny that even I am.

"Every fan is excited by the prospect of watching these players when they are in form."

Following a season interrupted by injury, Sabella insisted that Lionel Messi was fit and ready to perform in Argentina's bid to win their third World Cup.

"I can see that Lionel Messi is in good shape, happy and willing to work with all of us in order to have the best World Cup," he added.

And Sabella hopes there will be a mutual respect between neighbours Brazil and Argentina if they were to meet in the tournament.

"We know the high standard of Brazilian football but they also know the worth of Argentine football," he said.

"It's a rivalry that we will keep going on a strictly sporting level.

"As Argentines we hope that it will stay at that level, because we are brothers, the engines of Latin America. We depend on each other, to live better as people."

Argentina will face Trinidad and Tobago and Slovenia in friendlies before taking on Bosnia and Herzegovina on June 15 in their opening World Cup fixture.

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho backs Germany to win Group G ahead of Portugal

398433_heroa.jpg

By Matt Jones
Jun 4, 2014 3:18:00 PM

The Chelsea coach believes Joachim Low’s side will come out on top in qualifying for the knockout stages, but still thinks his native country should finish above Ghana and the USA

Jose Mourinho has admitted that he sees Germany as favourites to win their World Cup group over Portugal.

While predicting which sides would progress from the group stage, the Portuguese coach favoured Joachim Low’s men over his own national team, but still predicted them to overcome Ghana and the USA and reach the knockout stages in Brazil.

"I apologize deeply, but I opt for Germany as group winners and Portugal in second place,” said Mourinho to Yahoo Sport.

The 51-year-old added that while the two group favourites should both go through, he expected no team to finish with zero points in Group G.

Mourinho’s compatriots will play their first game in the tournament against Germany on June 16, before facing Jurgen Klinsmann’s USA side on June 22 and Ghana on June 26.

In his other predictions, the Chelsea coach gave notable mentions to "talented" Belgium and suggested that France would fare better than in their troubled campaign in South Africa in 2010.

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Di Maria: Brazil under more pressure than Argentina to win World Cup

412892_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jun 4, 2014 11:19:00 AM

The Real Madrid winger says he and his team-mates will be able to relax more than the Selecao, around whom there is a great sense of expectancy

Argentina ace Angel di Maria has piled the pressure on Brazil ahead of the World Cup stating the hosts will be under a heavier burden than his team to win the competition.

The Selecao – who have lifted the trophy a record five times – are pre-tournament favourites along with reigning champions, Spain.

Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has previously stated that his team need to win football’s biggest competition on home soil – a feat that two-time winners Argentina achieved by clinching their first title in 1978.

And Di Maria has said that the Albiceleste will benefit from lack of expectation surrounding them this summer - unlike hosts Brazil.

"Brazil won the Confederations Cup against Spain, the defending world champions, so they should be confident, but they have more pressure than us,” Di Maria told Fox Sports.

"Everyone knows it's not easy to win [the World Cup] and that, for many years, Argentina haven't been champions nor reached a final.

“They are things we have to be relaxed about, knowing we can do it because we have great players, the best in the world at the best clubs in the world."

The 26-year-old enjoyed a successful season with his club side Madrid last term as he helped Los Blancos capture the Champions League title and Copa del Rey.

Di Maria now hopes he can replicate his impressive club form for Argentina at the World Cup.

"It was a very good year, I'm happy. Now I'm thinking about the national team and hopefully things will go the same way,” he said.

“I assisted the most goals in the League and in the Copa del Rey and was the best player in the Champions League final. I think it was the best year in my career.”

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Winning warm-up games isn't Brazil's priority, says Dani Alves

416619_heroa.jpg

Jun 4, 2014 10:26:00 AM

The Barcelona full-back claims it is more important for the Selecao recapture their style rather than rack up victories in friendly fixtures

Dani Alves insists that simply winning World Cup warm-up matches is not Brazil's priority, explaining that they are more concerned with performances than final scores.

The Barcelona defender was on target as Luiz Felipe Scolari's men romped to a 4-0 win over Panama on Tuesday, with Neymar, Hulk and Willian also netting.

Scolari had been less than impressed with Brazil's performances during training sessions over the weekend and Dani Alves admits he is more concerned with the side recapturing their best form rather than securing wins in their warm-up games.

"I think the result today matters less," the 31-year-old told Globo. "The important thing is to get back to playing the way we want to, rather than results.

"Everyone took part and that's what makes our group strong. Everyone is available to help.

"I don't usually score, I usually help the team in other ways. But everyone's happy when you're able to get a goal."

Striker Fred admits he was relieved at the result against Panama as the Confederations Cup holders had been "feeling the pressure" in recent days.

"This match was an important part of our preparation, and we were feeling the pressure a little," the Fluminense front man said after the game.

"The atmosphere was immense and it was very hot and the other team was playing very defensive. Panama sat behind the halfway line and this made our life more difficult.

"I think we need to have a good mentality for the tournament, we know the responsibility to play a World Cup at home and what it means to wear this shirt."

Fred added: "We need to understand that our hard work is very important. We can't react to the extra pressure placed on us by the fans because it can be even worse during the games.

"We already have this pressure, but we need to change this into a positive, we need to distract from this focus and start the matches without pressure, just as we did in the Confederations Cup."

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Persie 'not yet at 100 per cent' - Van Gaal

416603_heroa.jpg

Jun 4, 2014 9:23:00 AM

The Oranje boss insists that the striker will be fine for Brazil 2014, saying the Manchester United ace benefited from David Moyes allowing him to continue his recovery in Holland

Netherlands captain Robin van Persie is not yet "100 per cent" fit but will be fully recovered in time for the World Cup, according to coach Louis van Gaal.

Van Persie has been working his way back to full fitness after spraining his knee during Manchester United's Champions round-of-16 tie against Olympiakos in March.

The 30-year-old was ruled out for six weeks and returned to Holland to undergo rehabilitation, though he came back for the final three Premier League games of the season, scoring against Hull City.

Van Persie has played no more than 80 minutes in each of the Netherland's past two international friendlies against Ecuador and Ghana but he has scored in both games and Van Gaal is confident his star man will be fully fit for the World Cup finals.

"He is not 100 per cent, but we have two weeks to go. I think he will be 100 per cent," the Oranje boss said ahead of Wednesday's clash with Wales.

"He is coming out of injury but we built him already up in our federation, our medical department.

"It was under the permission of David Moyes, so we could control him. He has worked very hard.

"Then he played two matches of 20 or 30 minutes and the last match 70 minutes.

"We did not expect that as the injury was bad."

Netherlands will come up against defending champions Spain, Chile and Australia in Group B at the showpiece event, which kicks off on June 12.

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

England will practice penalties, promises Gerrard

328878_heroa.jpg

By Jay Jaffa
Jun 4, 2014 8:12:00 AM

The Three Lions skipper is determined to avoid another spot-kick nightmare following losses from 12 yards in six previous international tournaments and says the squad will be ready

England captain Steven Gerrard says that the squad will be practicing penalties ahead of the World Cup in the hope of avoiding another shoot-out heartbreak.

Roy Hodgson's side take on Ecuador in their second warm-up fixture on Wednesday evening in Miami and Gerrard offered a glimpse into the preparation that the Three Lions are undertaking.

England were eliminated by Italy on penalties at Euro 2012 and have suffered spot-kick defeats in three World Cups (1990, 1998 and 2006) and another two European Championships (1996 and 2004).

The Liverpool star told the BBC: "It's difficult to describe what it is like. Unfortunately for me I failed in that situation when I took a penalty in a World Cup environment and it was a difficult atmosphere to be in.

"I learned my lessons from that and, a couple of years ago, I scored the penalty I was asked to take. We are going to practice penalties a lot but it is a difficult situation to put into words and describe it. There is a lot of pressure.

"You have an awful lot more time to think about your penalty and what is at stake is a lot bigger and it is a pressure situation. A penalty shootout is a more pressurised situation than any one penalty in a league game.

"I can understand the fixation because we have failed in quite a few shootouts but I would say don't get carried away with it because it might never come about.

"As players, hopefully we perform well enough in 90 minutes or 120 minutes to prevent it going to a shootout but we will be ready for a shootout if it comes around."

Gerrard is unlikely to start Tuesday's friendly at the Sun Life Stadium as Hodgson gives chances to the rest of the squad, though Wayne Rooney is expected to feature from the left wing.

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rooney will play where I tell him, says Hodgson

414435_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Jun 4, 2014 7:29:00 AM

The Three Lions boss rejects says that there is too much hype surrounding where the forward is positioned as he prepares to deploy him on the left flank against Ecuador in Miami

England manager Roy Hodgson says that he is willing to deploy Wayne Rooney in multiple positions but rejects what he sees as "an obsession" with the Manchester United star.

After playing up front with Daniel Sturridge against Peru on Friday, the Three Lions forward is set to start on the left flank in a World Cup warm-up match against Ecuador in Miami.

Much has been made about the finals in Brazil being a chance for Rooney to do himself justice at a major international tournament but Hodgson is reluctant to get sucked into a debate on just how good his player is.

"I decide how I want to use Wayne Rooney," he told the press. "There is an obsession with Wayne Rooney which I don't really share.

"I'm not saying if he’s exceptional or not. I have picked him because he is a very good player. If I say 'yes, he is exceptional' or 'no, I don't think he's exceptional', I'm wrong either way. He's a football player.

"He can play centre forward, behind the centre forward and wide. If he's done all that with Manchester United, there is no reason why I can't use him in those positions as well.

"I look at the players at my disposal and decide what they need and what we need. Then I expect them to do it."

With Rooney expected to be the only player who started on Friday to begin the game against Ecuador, Hodgson explained that a desire to get the forward back up to full fitness was behind the move.

"The thinking behind Wayne starting a second game is that he only played 60 minutes against Peru," said the manager, who is anticipated to deploy new Liverpool striker Rickie Lambert at centre forward. "He's recovering his match fitness. It will be to his advantage to play another game."

James Milner, Hodgson confirmed, will take a less familiar role at right-back in a makeshift defence also due to feature Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Luke Shaw but the boss is confident in the Manchester City man's adaptability.

Hodgson remarked of Milner: "He's got the qualities to play there and there may be moments at the World Cup when we would like to use him there.

"He's in the squad as a midfield player and that's where we see him mostly but it will be interesting to see how he gets on at right-back."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

New protests hit Brazil eight days from World Cup

AFP
June 5, 2014, 9:45 am

76e8a3a6c0639f126482d91b7ff9ae395bc6bd08-19ovb7a.jpg

Sao Paulo (AFP) - Sao Paulo underground workers announced an open-ended strike amid fresh protests Wednesday, hitting World Cup preparations as Brazil defended itself against criticism over chronic delays and soaring costs.

Subway workers in Brazil's business hub of 20 million people voted for an open-ended strike from midnight (0300 GMT) that could strand 4.5 million passengers and unleash commuter chaos.

Brazil has been hit by a wave of strikes and protests ahead of the World Cup and elections in October.

Calling for higher pensions, about 400 retired military police and their relatives earlier rallied outside Sao Paulo's Corinthians Arena, the stadium that will host the World Cup opening match on June 12.

They blocked roads in the area with 15 buses and several smaller vehicles and caused traffic jams stretching several kilometers (miles).

Another 4,000 protesters rallied by the Homeless Workers' Movement (MTST), a mainstay of the anti-World Cup protests that have gripped the country over the past year, were marching toward the same area.

Protesters say the more than $11 billion being spent on the tournament should have been used to help address urgent needs in education, health care and transport.

A year ago, a million protesters flooded the streets during the Confederations Cup, a World Cup dress rehearsal.

The protests turned violent at times, overshadowing the tournament and raising fears of a repeat this year.

The government has also faced criticism for chronic delays and cost overruns.

Workers are still scrambling to finish five of the 12 host stadiums, including Corinthians Arena, which has not had all its seats installed.

Organizers have shelved much of the other infrastructure they had originally promised, from roadworks to a high-speed train to subway and monorail lines.

- Blame game with FIFA -

The latest protests came after Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff defended her government's preparations for the tournament and said FIFA bore part of the blame for the spiralling public bill.

The leftist leader, who plans to seek re-election in October, said the sport's global governing body had assured Brazil that host stadiums would be built with private money.

But the government eventually realized private sector investment would not even cover "half a stadium," and provided most of the financing itself, Rousseff told journalists at a dinner Tuesday at the presidential residence in Brasilia.

She insisted that the vast majority of public spending related to the tournament was "for Brazil" over the long-term and not limited to the World Cup.

Hosting the tournament spurred many cities to undertake badly needed public transport projects -- though Rousseff acknowledged many of them would not be completed before the World Cup.

- Neymar in to win -

In a sign of enthusiasm for the global football showcase, fans in Sao Paulo jostled for tickets Wednesday after FIFA put a final 180,000 on sale online and at ticketing centers in the host cities.

But disappointed fans who turned up in the early hours and stood in long lines in the economic capital went away empty-handed after online buyers snatched up all remaining tickets for matches in both Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.

Four previous sales windows had seen 2.57 million tickets sold.

With just over a week to go, teams continue trickling into Brazil. Chile are due to arrive Thursday, joining Australia, Croatia and Iran.

Whatever the problems off the pitch, Brazil were looking ready for the World Cup when they routed Panama 4-0 in a Tuesday friendly.

Star striker Neymar, who scored the first goal and set up two others -- including one with a cheeky back-heel -- said Wednesday that Brazil were more interested in claiming their sixth world title than in their famed "jogo bonito."

"Beautiful football is the last thing we are concerned about -- what we want to do is to win," he said.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Persie calms fresh injury fears

416989_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Jun 4, 2014 10:53:00 PM

The striker didn't emerge for the second half of his side's match with Wales because of an injury but he and Louis van Gaal insist it was merely a precaution

Robin van Persie has allayed fears of an injury after he was substituted at half-time in Netherlands' 2-0 win over Wales on Wednesday night.

The striker appeared to be struggling towards the end of the first half of the meeting in Amsterdam and didn't emerge for the second half having been replaced by Jeremain Lens.

Van Persie admitted after the game that he felt some pain in his groin but insists the replacement was merely a precaution and he will be fit to play in his side's first World Cup game against Spain.

"You don't have to worry. I have a little pain in my groin," he told NOS.

"I don't even call it an injury though. It was more of a precaution as the game next week is a lot more important."

Coach Louis van Gaal reiterated Van Persie's point before going on to discuss his tactics in the game, having started with a 4-4-2 against Wales despite playing with a 5-3-2 against Ghana.

The Oranje boss insists he will line up with a more attacking formation when they face Spain and Chile in the World Cup.

"It was a precaution with Van Persie, but he didn't come off for no reason," Van Gaal told SBS6. "I have many attackers in the team.

"I knew Wales would sit back, but I did not expect them to play so deep. I just have to say that we are in a process and we are preparing for better opponents.

"I could have played 4-3-3 from the first minute to make it more attractive. But I wanted to see the implementation of this system [4-4-2].

"Against Spain and Chile we will go back to the other system [5-3-2]. It sure looks that way. We will now focus on Spain, for which the 4-4-2 system is not possible."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hodgson 'fears Oxlade-Chamberlain ligament damage'

417058_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Jun 4, 2014 10:30:00 PM

The Three Lions' coach is worried the Arsenal midfielder could have suffered a serious injury after a clash with Carlos Gruezo during England's 2-2 draw with Ecuador in Miami

England manager Roy Hodgson is fearful Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has damaged the ligaments in his right knee, and could be a doubt for the World Cup.

The Arsenal midfielder impressed during the Three Lions' 2-2 draw with Ecuador in Miami on Wednesday, but was forced from the field after 63 minutes following a challenge from Carlos Gruezo.

Oxlade-Chamberlain's ankle was caught by the South American midfielder, but it was the way in which he landed on his knee that caused his withdrawl - and Hodgson admits the 20-year-old faces an anxious wait to discover whether he has sustained what could be a serious injury.

"We have our fears there might be some ligament damage," Hodgson told reporters.

"Oxlade-Chamberlain is the one that bothers. His knee buckled under the challenge as the player turned into him. He'll have a scan tomorrow, I'd imagine. When we've had the scan, we'll know more.

"My hope is that Oxlade-Chamberlain will not be seriously injured. He did every so well tonight and looked really, really sharp.

"It would be an enormous blow if we were to lose him, so I'd prefer to concentrate on the satisfaction and positivity I can take from the game."

The Emirates starlet has only just recovered from a groin injury that saw him miss the end of the Gunners' Premier League season, and will be sent for the scan on Thursday prior to England's final pre-World Cup friendly against Honduras on Saturday.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA confirms Oxlade-Chamberlain knee injury

417058_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Jun 5, 2014 5:49:00 PM

The youngster landed awkwardly on his knee following a challenge by Ecuador midfielder Carlos Gruezo and is now a doubt for England's three group games at the World Cup

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's World Cup is in doubt after damaging his knee ligaments during England's 2-2 draw with Ecuador.

The Arsenal man's ankle was caught by midfielder Carlos Gruezo, but it was the way in which the youngster landed on his knee that caused his withdrawal on 63 minutes.

The 20-year-old was scheduled to undergo a scan following the game to assess the damage, but the Football Association have not confirmed an injury timescale for the player.

"Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain sustained a medial knee ligament injury during the World Cup warm-up game against Ecuador in Miami on Wednesday," an official Football Association statement read.

"The England medical team are continuing to monitor and treat the injury."

England kick-off their World Cup campaign against Italy on June 14 before facing Uruguay five days later and a final group game against Costa Rica on June 24.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Argentina 'strong and unified' - Messi

417464_heroa.jpg

By James Willoughby
Jun 5, 2014 3:16:00 PM

The Barcelona star is confident of his nation's chances at this summer's World Cup in Brazil, ahead of their final warm-up match against Slovenia on Saturday

Argentina star Lionel Messi says his side are 'strong and unified' ahead of the World Cup.

Only hosts Brazil are more favoured to win the tournament and Messi feels his team's serious approach to warm-up matches can hold them in good stead.

Argentina play a final friendly against Slovenia on Saturday before opening their World Cup campaign with a Group F clash against Bosnia-Herzegovina on June 15.

"Yes, it is just a friendly and we are very close to our trip [to Brazil] but we are going to play with all we have," said the 26-year-old.

"No one wants any [injury to] occur, we are all being very careful of that, but we still all want to win, do our best, play seriously and I believe we have done that.

"I believe we have a very strong team, very unified and more than that we also have really great players."

Meanwhile, Messi's Barcelona and Argentina team-mate Javier Mascherano echoed his thoughts and said that coach Alejandro Sabella had drummed into the squad the importance of gaining pre-tournament rhythm.

"Our minds are on the World Cup, but you have to keep playing," he said.

"The team has to function well together… if not we will play poorly in our first game."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Low: Germany can stop Ronaldo

414981_heroa.jpg

By John-Paul Tooth
Jun 5, 2014 2:14:00 PM

The coach is confident his team can keep the Ballon d'Or winner quiet in their opening World Cup match on June 16

Germany trainer Joachim Low says his side can nullify the threat of Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo when the two sides face off at this summer's World Cup in Brazil.

Die Mannschaft take on Paulo Bento's men on June 16 before fixtures against Ghana and USA in a tough-looking Group G.

"Portugal are a great team and Cristiano's a fantastic player, but we've got the players and methods to stop him," the 54-year-old told reporters.

Low also explained his side's decision to play Armenia in their final warm-up match before the World Cup, as well as giving some team news ahead of the fixture.

"We deliberately chose to play Armenia as they play a similar counter-attacking style to Portugal," he added.

"Roman Weidenfeller will be playing. Manuel Neuer will not play ... but he will be fit to face Portugal in Brazil."

"[Philipp] Lahm and [Bastian] Schweinsteiger will be given some playing time. Both have trained individually over the last few days."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

England must shackle 'world's greatest playmaker' Pirlo, warns Scholes

379728_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Jun 5, 2014 12:34:00 PM

The Manchester United legend recalls Park Ji-Sung's effective marking of the Italy star in the Champions League in 2010 and sees Danny Welbeck as a useful option for such a role

Former England star Paul Scholes warns that the Three Lions must put pressure on Andrea Pirlo in their World Cup opener against Italy.

Hailing the Juventus midfielder as "the world's greatest playmaker", the Manchester United legend feels that Roy Hodgson's side must learn from their mistakes in the quarter-finals of Euro 2012, when the Azzurri progressed on penalties.

Scholes sees Danny Welbeck as a good candidate to start the game in Manaus in order to make life difficult for Cesare Prandelli's key man.

Writing for the Paddy Power Blog, the 39-year-old said of Pirlo: "He's the world's greatest playmaker – the complete footballer.

"Give him time and space and he will destroy you. He's such a clever player and is so composed. If surrounded he'll lay it off. If he's got room he's devastating.

"Even though England's Euro 2012 game against Italy finished 0-0, we paid nowhere near enough attention to him. Roy Hodgson seems to have underestimated him, which surprised me given Alex Ferguson's tactics against Pirlo previously.

"In 2010, before United played AC Milan in the Champions League, Sir Alex gave very specific instructions on how to take care of Pirlo.

"Man-marking him was a huge part of our pre-game plan - I played against Pirlo when Milan beat us 3-0 at San Siro in 2007. We didn't man-mark him. He destroyed us. We learned and it was painful. Park Ji-Sung was the perfect man for Pirlo in 2010 and never gave him a kick [as United beat Milan 7-2 on aggregate].

"For Manaus, we need an English Park Ji-Sung - one England player designated to man-mark him. Looking at the squad, Danny Welbeck (a good defender who can nick the ball well) could be an option and would be a bold decision, one which gives England a creative outlet and saddles Pirlo with defensive work."

Being vexed by Park in 2010 left a mark on Pirlo, who wrote in his 2013 autobiography that Ferguson's tactic caused him to lose respect for the Scottish great.

"Even Sir Alex Ferguson, the purple-nosed manager who turned Manchester United into a fearsome battleship, couldn't resist the temptation," fumed the Italy international.

"He's essentially a man without blemish but he ruined that purity just for a moment when it came to me. A fleeting shabbiness came over the legend that night.

"The midfielder must have been the first nuclear-powered South Korean in history. Even though he was already a famous player in his own right, he consented to being used as a guard dog, willfully limiting his own potential."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Japan can win the World Cup, insists Honda

404080_heroa.jpg

Jun 5, 2014 12:21:00 PM

The AC Milan attacker says he will not allow his belief in the side to waver as they prepare for their final warm-up friendly with Zambia on Friday

Japan star Keisuke Honda is adamant his team can cause an upset by winning the upcoming World Cup in Brazil.

Alberto Zaccheroni's side were drawn against Colombia, Greece and Cote d'Ivoire in Group C, with former England striker Michael Owen just one of many who are tipping the Samurai Blue to challenge in the latter stages of the tournament.

And Honda is fully confident Japan can challenge tournament favourites Brazil and Spain and even go all the way in the finals.

"I have kept saying about the aim to win the World Cup and it does not matter how other people think about it," the AC Milan attacker told reporters ahead of Japan's final warm-up match against Zambia on Friday.

"I could not be happier as a football player if there are more people to expect us to win it than before, as a result of having said that.

"I will never give up and persist in my belief."

The 27-year-old scored twice at the World Cup finals in South Africa and guided the Asian giants to the 2011 Asian Cup, though he has not found the net in his past three international appearances.

Honda also managed to score just one goal in 17 Serie A appearances for Milan following his switch from CSKA Moscow in January but he is hopeful of putting on a good show against Zambia in Florida.

"The game will be about how much we can replicate the actual first game against Cote d'Ivoire," he said.

"Of course it is different to the actual first game, but I want to make sure of adjusting in details and we want it to be convincing one for us."

Japan kick-off their World Cup campaign against the Elephants on June 14.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chile boss Sampaoli buoyed by 'bold' Vidal return

415964_heroa.jpg

Jun 5, 2014 9:52:00 AM

The Juventus midfielder made a late appearance as a substitute in Valparaiso and is back in contention to face Australia in his country's World Cup opener on June 13

Chile coach Jorge Sampaoli acknowledged the importance of Arturo Vidal returning to action in Wednesday's friendly with Northern Ireland.

The Juventus midfielder, who underwent knee surgery in early May, came on as a late substitute and was involved in his side's opening goal as the South Americans concluded their World Cup preparations with a 2-0 win in Valparaiso.

It remains to be seen whether Vidal will be considered ready to play a part in Chile's opening game in Brazil, against Australia on June 13, but Sampaoli offered a positive update on the 27-year-old's progress.

"The decision to let him play was agreed with both the medical team and Arturo. It was important to let him play some minutes and we got a chance to see him again," Sampaoli told reporters.

"Arturo had a very short recovery and he came where we need him to, thanks to his boldness. He always wanted to play this game, and although we had some doubts, he cleared them all.

"Tomorrow (Thursday) he'll have to get into the rhythm of things so he can be in the opener.

"It no longer depends on his knee, but on the level for competition."

Chile have been drawn in Group B for the World Cup, with games against Spain and the Netherlands - the 2010 finalists - to follow their opening clash with Australia.