• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Injured Castillo included for Ecuador

411737_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Jun 3, 2014 7:55:00 PM

The 32-year-old is likely to miss his side’s opening two World Cup games after picking up a knee injury in his team’s 3-1 loss to Mexico

Ecuador have announced their 23-man World Cup squad, with midfielder Segundo Castillo being included despite carrying a knee injury.

The Al-Hilal midfielder, 32, suffered the injury in his side's 3-1 loss to Mexico in a friendly on Saturday and needs up to three weeks to recover.

Castillo needs 15 to 21 days to recover from the strained ligament, ruling him out of their Group E opener against Switzerland.

He is likely to miss their second match against Honduras but could be available for the June 25 meeting with France.
Stuttgart midfielder Carlos Gruezo, 19, has been included in the squad as additional cover in the centre of the park.

Manchester United winger Antonio Valencia is the star of Reinaldo Rueda's squad, who face England in a friendly on Wednesday.

Ecuador squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Maximo Banguera (Barcelona), Adrian Bone (El Nacional), Alexander Dominguez (LDU)

Defenders: Gabriel Achilier (Emelec), Walter Ayovi (Pachuca), Oscar Bagui (Emelec), Frickson Erazo (Flamengo), Jorge Guagua (Emelec), Juan Carlos Paredes (Barcelona)

Midfielders: Michael Arroyo (Atlante), Segundo Castillo (Al Hilal), Carlos Gruezo (Stuttgart), Renato Ibarra (Vitesse), Fidel Martinez (Tijuana), Edison Mendez (Independiente Santa Fe), Christian Noboa (Dynamo Moscow), Luis Fernando Saritama (Barcelona), Antonio Valencia (Manchester United)

Forwards: Jaime Ayovi (Tijuana), Felipe Caicedo (Al Jazira), Jefferson Montero (Morelia), Joao Rojas (Cruz Azul), Enner Valencia (Pachuca)

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rogic misses out as Socceroos cut squad

AFP
June 4, 2014, 4:04 am

c101385a7561464a163ddf073273cbc36f1015f3-19os3rq.jpg

Rio de Janeiro (AFP) - Australian head coach Ange Postecoglou brought World Cup heartache to four players, including playmaker Tom Rogic, in unveiling his definitive 23-man squad, saying Tuesday all his choices were meticulously thought out.

As Monday's deadline expired, Postecoglou had broken the news to a squad captained by midfielder Mile Jedinak that Rogic, Mark Birighitti, Josh Kennedy and Luke Wilkshire would be jettisoned.

Veterans Tim Cahill, Mark Bresciano and Mark Milligan meanwhile become the first players to represent the Socceroos at three World Cup tournaments, having been involved in the 2006 and 2010 campaigns.

Of the squad, seven play in the Australian A-League.

Postecoglou said he had thought long and hard about his choices -- which were unexpected, at least in the case of Wilkshire.

On the loss for fitness reasons of Rogic and Kennedy, Postecoglou told reporters he was "obviously very disappointed for both."

"(Rogic) was obviously struggling. We thought by having him in camp for the amount of time we did we could make some progress with him -- the medical people thought he was a chance and worked awfully hard.

"I think he knew after the first minute (of Monday's win over club side Parana) that he just wasn't right. He was pretty devastated last night (but) he walks away without having put up the white flag.

"Josh is a timing thing. He was due to play yesterday and we were quite happy with the way things were going" until he pulled up with a back problem.

"With the timing of it -- could be one week, two weeks. There's too much uncertainty there," said Postecoglou regarding Kennedy.

"All decisions were thought out. It's hard to travel all this way, got so close and have to go home - but that was the situation we were in -- I wanted as much time as possible to look at everybody."

He insisted he was confident in the ability of Ivan Franjic, now the only recognised right back after the surprise omission of Dynamo Moscow's Wilkshire, veteran of 80 caps.

Franjic comes to the event on the back of recent fitness problems following a knee injury suffered last week against South Africa.

But Postecoglou insisted: "He's had a great season with Brisbane -- he's missed the last three or four days because of a knock but that's not a concern for me. I'm confident he'll be in great physical condition.

"It's no secret we're light across the whole back four but at the same time we're pretty happy with the ones we have got in there.

"Looking at the make up of our squad there are other areas of the park we're going to need more flexibilty.

"We have had to weigh up form, fitness and squad balance," he explained.

"We've selected a squad that can do Australia proud and they will walk out onto the pitch for the World Cup in the green and gold shirt and display the characteristics that define our country.

"Our stated aim is to make our country proud, show the world what Australians are made of and test ourselves against the very best football players in the world and this group of players is capable of doing that."

The Socceroos face Croatia in Salvador on Friday in their final warm-up before meeting Chile on June 14 in Cuiaba.

The countries met in the 1974 finals, playing out a goalless draw in Berlin.

Australia final squad:

Goalkeepers: Mat Ryan (Club Brugge/BEL), Mitchell Langerak (Borussia Dortmund/GER), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United).

Defenders: Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar), Jason Davidson (Heracles Almelo/NED), Matthew Spiranovic (Western Sydney Wanderers), Bailey Wright (Preston North End/ENG), Alex Wilkinson (Jeonbuk Motors/KOR), Ryan McGowan (Shandong Luneng/CHN)

Midfielders: Mile Jedinak (Crystal Palace/ENG), Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory), James Holland (Austria Vienna/AUT), Massimo Luongo (Swindon Town/ENG), Oliver Bozanic (Luzern/SUI), Matt McKay (Brisbane Roar), Mark Bresciano (Al-Gharafa/QAT)

Attackers: Tim Cahill (New York Red Bulls/USA), Dario Vidosic (Sion/SUI), Tommy Oar (FC Utrecht/NED), James Troisi (Melbourne Victory), Ben Halloran (Fortuna Dusseldorf/GER), Adam Taggart (Newcastle Jets), Mathew Leckie (FSV Frankfurt/GER).

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Balotelli will be fit to play in World Cup opener, say Italy

408941_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Jun 3, 2014 12:25:00 PM

The Azzurri team doctor insists the striker will be ready to face England on June 14 and says Giuseppe Rossi was fit enough to have gone to Brazil

Mario Balotelli will be fit and ready for the start of the World Cup, according to Italy team doctor Enrico Castellacci.

The AC Milan striker has been struggling with minor muscle complaints during the Azzurri's pre-tournament training camp and his chances of facing England on June 14 had been thrown into doubt.

However, Castellacci insists the 23-year-old had simply been struggling as a result of being overworked during the final few weeks of the season and is fully confident he will be part of Cesare Prandelli's plans in Brazil from the off.

"He can play," Castellacci was quoted as saying by Milan's official website. "He is training hard. He had an overload of work but we are managing it.

"He is at the disposal of the head coach and is ready to play."

The fitness of Balotelli has become a key topic of debate in Italy following Giuseppe Rossi's omission from the 23-man squad for Brazil.

Castellacci has now claimed the Fiorentina forward, who had battled back from a serious knee injury to be in contention for the World Cup, was physically fit enough to have been selected.

"From a medical point of view, he had recovered well enough," said Castellacci.

"It's clear, however, that Giuseppe was not in the optimal physical condition. It was a decision taken for many reasons, but not superficially."

Italy face Luxembourg in their final pre-tournament friendly before the clash with Roy Hodgson's men in Manaus on June 14.

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez does not cheat, but will do anything to beat England - Poyet

415859_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
Jun 3, 2014 11:01:00 AM

The striker was painted as the villain of the 2010 World Cup after handballing on the line against Ghana, but the Sunderland boss says that is normal behaviour for Uruguayans

Sunderland manager Gus Poyet has defended fellow Uruguayan Luis Suarez from accusations that he is a cheat, but says he will do "whatever it takes" to beat England at the World Cup.

Suarez will line up for his country against the Three Lions on June 19 in Sao Paulo, if he recovers from the knee injury which required surgery at the end of May.

The Liverpool striker's last World Cup campaign was shrouded in controversy after he was sent off for a handball on the line against Ghana in the quarter-finals of the tournament in South Africa in 2010.

But Poyet says Uruguayans do not consider such actions cheating, and warned that England will have to toughen up this summer: “In England, you thought he was the villain of the last World Cup because he handled the ball on the line in the last minute, but what I am about to say is very normal for me and I hope you take it well...

“I know that, for you, handball on the line is cheating, but it’s not for us - it’s part of the game.

"If I’m the last man and I pull your shirt as you go past me, you go down and I get sent off, is that cheating? No, it’s not - you take a red card as the last man. Fine. Our reaction is the same as Suarez’s handball.

"We don’t know what all the fuss was about. He saved it, he was sent off, it was a penalty. For us, it’s worse when you get away with something that nobody sees, like punching someone off the ball. Should Suarez say, ‘It was handball, send me off’? No, we don’t do that. Everyone saw it.

“Uruguay will do whatever it takes to beat England. If I accept you’re better than me, I lose. How can I?"

Poyet says there will be ways to stop Suarez, but insisted Roy Hodgson's men are "too nice" and that Uruguay will put up more of a fight.

“Have England got anyone who can stop Suarez? You will need to pay extra attention because he is special,” he continued.

“Are you helping me here? Are you covering me? Are you stopping them from playing? Sticking to you a little bit, grabbing you, being stronger than you. Whatever it takes to win the game - yeah, we do that, and we are proud of it.

“I think that’s a way you win more than you lose. Do you want to win the game of football more than me? You’ve got no chance, because I will do more than you to win.

“England are too nice, they need to get tougher. I don’t think that’s the only reason, but it’s a different way of suffering in the game. Running, giving it your all, being good on the ball, accepting responsibility, be together, helping each other, sorting out problems, sort it out. You’re on the pitch.

“Everybody tries different ways to stop Lionel Messi - and the one who stops him has a great chance. I’m not saying you have to kill him, or shoot him, but under the rules of the game there are things you can do to stop a special player."

The Sunderland boss, who made 26 international appearances between 1993 and 2000, also gave an insight into the Uruguayan psyche.

"You know the discussion going on all over the world that you cannot make kids of seven or eight play to win...? Well, in Uruguay you need to win at six.

“It is a way of living and learning. Players have to win games at a very early age.

"I tried to change that - I worked for two years as chairman of a big organisation governing children from five to 13 and I tried to convince them to slow down and not be so crazy about winning.

“What happened? Nothing - it is not in our culture.”

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No golden World Cup legacy for South Africa

By Mfuneko Toyana
JOHANNESBURG Tue Jun 3, 2014 5:02pm BST

r

Fireworks explode at the conclusion of the 2010 World Cup final soccer match at Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg July 11, 2010. REUTERS/Marcelo Del Pozo

(Reuters) - Four years after the World Cup, Soccer City stadium stands out against the drab skyline of south Johannesburg, a multi-coloured mosaic of steel and glass set against the yellow-dust mine dumps of a century-old city built, literally, on gold.

On many weekends, the 94,000-seater venue that hosted key games during the 2010 tournament is pumping, either with the roars of football fans or chant of concert-goers, an example of enduring, direct returns accrued by host nation South Africa.

The stadium, which underwent a 1.5 billion rand (89.53 million pounds) facelift for the event, comfortably pays its own way, according to its website, with fixtures ranging from Soweto football derbies to concerts by the likes of Lady Gaga and U2.

In December, it hosted a mass memorial for late anti-apartheid leader Nelson Mandela, and last month was the venue for a massive rally by the ruling African National Congress (ANC) to crown their election campaign.

However, Soccer City stands out in another, crucial way.

Of the nine other venues built or renovated for the World Cup to the tune of 10 billion rand - a quarter of the overall budget - all are in the red, unable to attract regular top sporting clashes or international rock stars.

The bill for their up-keep falls on cash-strapped municipalities, a salutary lesson for Brazil, where hundreds of thousands have protested, sometimes violently, against state spending on this year's tournament, which starts on June 12.

Brazil's anti-World Cup movement argues that the $11.7 billion earmarked for Cup-related spending - three times South Africa's budget, even though only $7 billion has actually been disbursed - would have been better used on hospitals, schools and public transport.

Many in South Africa, the continent's wealthiest country but still a middle income country, feel the same way.

"If 50 per cent of the collective resources deployed around the World Cup were deployed around these critical issues, I think the country would have made a big, big leap forward," said Achille Mbembe, a social scientist at Johannesburg's Wits University.

EMPTY SEATS

The Nelson Mandela Bay stadium in the decaying industrial city of Port Elizabeth supports the case.

The current tenants of the state-of-the-art 47,000-seat, 2.1 billion rand venue are the Southern Kings, a second-tier rugby side excluded last year from the lucrative Super XV competition that includes teams from Australia and New Zealand.

The Port Elizabeth region has also not had a team in the Premier Soccer League (PSL) since 2006, and even if a local side clawed its way into the big time, the turnstiles will not be overworked - the average PSL game attracts crowds of just 7,000.

Since it opened its doors, the stadium has attracted only 125,000 visitors every year, only slightly more than the record 94,700 who turned up on one day at Soccer City to watch South African rugby side Amabokoboko play New Zealand in 2010.

Its owners decline to reveal annual up-keep costs, which may be as high as 65 million rand, according to two university studies, but they concede that it runs at a loss of 13 million rand a year - a bill that the municipality has to pick up.

With so many other social demands in one of South Africa's poorest regions, turning it round is a low priority.

"Sports development competes for resources with other service delivery priorities, like sanitation, electricity, economic development and waste management," said council spokesman Mthubanzi Mniki.

'FIRE OF FAILURE'

In their final report on the 2010 tournament, FIFA and the South African Football Association (SAFA) urged people to focus on "non-tangible" benefits such as an improved national team and the rebranding of a country plagued by violent crime.

Whereas tourism numbers have boomed since the tournament, a reflection of both South Africa's burnished international image and - in the last 18 months - its weak currency, the sporting benefits are debatable.

The national football team, Bafana Bafana, failed to qualify for the 2014 World Cup and are currently languishing at 65 in the world rankings, having slid from a short-lived post-World Cup high of 38th in 2011.

Since 2010, the side has also struggled in the bi-annual African Nations Cup, qualifying for only one tournament by virtue of being the host. The under-20 and under-23 teams have also failed to get in to any major events.

There have been ructions off the pitch too, with in-fighting in the SAFA boardroom, allegations of pre-World Cup match-fixing and a scandal over the spending of 48 million rand of FIFA money.

SAFA officials say, however, that the worst is behind them.

"It's been a slow process. Last year was difficult for SAFA generally as we were going through elections and uncertainty in leadership," said SAFA development head Robin Petersen.

"It was quite clear that we weren't going from success to success. We had to go through the fire of failure."

'BUNCH OF LOSERS'

South Africa's post-World Cup development plan is nothing if not ambitious - propelling Bafana Bafana into the world top 20 by 2020 - but with a population of 53 million people and more resources than most African countries it could be achievable.

There are also signs that the 450 million rand paid by FIFA in 2012 into the World Cup Legacy Trust - the post-tournament football development fund - is kicking in to gear.

A national database that goes live in July will track all of South Africa's 2 million registered footballers and SAFA has established country-wide under-13 and under-15 leagues for boys and girls. It also plans to train 10,000 coaches a year.

For Bafana Bafana manager Gordon Igesund - the 17th coach since South Africa's admission to international football in 1992 - the changes were too long in coming.

Igesund got his marching orders as national coach this week after presiding over a string of lacklustre performances and goal-less draws that prompted sports minister Fikile Mbalula to brand the side "a bunch of losers".

(Editing by Raissa Kasolowsky)

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ribery makes France World Cup squad

414680_heroa.jpg

Jun 2, 2014 9:44:00 PM

The Bayern Munich winger has been suffering with a back injury in recent weeks but Deschamps has chosen to include him in the squad that will travel to Brazil

Concerns over Franck Ribery's fitness ahead of the World Cup have been partially allayed by the news that he has been included in Didier Deschamps' final 23-man squad.

The Bayern Munich player has been a doubt because of a persistent back injury, which kept him out of Les Bleus friendly against Paraguay on Sunday, and has plagued his preparation for the summer showpiece.

However, Deschamps has chosen to include him in his final squad for the summer showpiece in Brazil as France prepare to face Switzerland, Ecuador and Honduras in Group E.

While the winger is still not 100 per cent fit, he can be replaced at any time up to a day before their first match against Honduras on June 15.

As well as mainstays such as Ribery, Karim Benzema, Olivier Giroud, Hugo Lloris and Laurent Koscielny, Deschamps has included youngsters Lucas Digne, Raphael Varane, Lucas Digne, Antoine Griezmann and Clement Grenier.

The full squad:

Goalkeepers: Mickael Landreau, Hugo Lloris, Stephane Ruffier;

Defenders: Mathieu Debuchy, Lucas Digne, Patrice Evra, Laurent Koscielny, Eliaquim Mangala, Bacary Sagna, Mamadou Sakho, Raphael Varane;

Midfielders: Yohan Cabaye, Clement Grenier, Blaise Matuidi, Rio Antonio Mavuba, Paul Pogba, Moussa Sissoko, Mathieu Valbuena;

Forwards: Karim Benzema, Olivier Giroud, Antoine Griezmann, Loic Remy, Franck Ribery

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vieira criticises France 'structure'

415807_heroa.jpg

Jun 2, 2014 5:32:00 PM

The former Bleus international says the French Football Federation is at fault for causing divisions with national team players, ahead of the World Cup in Brazil

Patrick Vieira has criticised the France national team's 'structure', following high-profile decisions such as the omission of Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri from the national team's preliminary squad for the World Cup.

Didier Deschamps' men are currently preparing for a Group E campaign in which they will face Ecuador, Honduras and Switzerland.

"In France you are talking about Samir Nasri and some of the other players having personal issues," Vieira said at ITV's World Cup launch.

"But Samir never had a problem with Manchester City. They talk about Karim Benzema but he never had a problem with Real Madrid. Franck Ribery never had a problem at Bayern Munich.

"So I think it is the structure that creates that kind of problem. The French national team has to look at itself, how the structure is done. That is not as strong as City, Bayern or Real Madrid.

"The problem is that you need people above who dictate the rules. It is like parents. When you have kids, who are shown the rules, the kids know where to stand and what to do and what not to do.

"If there are no rules, people do what they want. The structure in the French national team in the last few years wasn't the best."

The retired midfielder said his time in the France squad, from 1997-2009, during which time he racked up 107 caps, saw him enjoy a different experience and culture.

"When I was playing it was a different structure," said the 37-year-old.

"Every player knew where they were, what they had to do and how they had to behave.

"When I was there, the majority of the players had big experience. I think the average age was around 30. This [squad] is younger. In the last few years the French team have been a bit younger."

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Banega misses out on Argentina World Cup squad

341160_heroa.jpg

Jun 2, 2014 10:59:00 PM

The 25-year-old midfielder is the highest profile player to be cut from the provisional squad as the list of 23 is unveiled

Ever Banega is the main casualty as Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella has trimmed his squad to 23 players for the World Cup.

The midfielder has been on loan at Newell's Old Boys from Valencia and the Argentina coach has deemed him surplus to requirements as he prepares for the tournament in Brazil.

Argentina head into the summer showpiece as one of the favourites and the South Americans have a whole host of high-profile players in the shape of Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain, Javier Mascherano and Pablo Zabaleta.

Sabella's team have been drawn in Group F alongside Iran, Nigeria and Bosnia and Herzegovina, against whom they begin their campaign on June 15 in Rio de Janeiro.

Full squad:

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (Sampdoria), Mariano Andujar (Catania), Agustin Orion (Boca Juniors)

Defenders: Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City), Federico Fernandez (Napoli), Ezequiel Garay (Benfica), Marcos Rojo (Sporting Lisbon), Hugo Campagnaro (Inter Milan), Martin Demichelis (Manchester City), Jose Basanta (Monterrey)

Midfielders: Javier Mascherano (Barcelona), Fernando Gago (Boca Juniors), Lucas Biglia (Lazio), Ricardo Alvarez (Inter Milan), Augusto Fernandez (Celta Vigo), Angel Di Maria (Real Madrid), Maxi Rodriguez (Newell's Old Boys), Enzo Perez (Benfica)

Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Rodrigo Palacio (Inter Milan), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Paris St Germain)

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Falcao to miss World Cup

415929_heroa.jpg

By Robin Bairner
Jun 2, 2014 11:34:00 PM

Coach Jose Peckerman has confirmed that the Monaco striker is not yet fit enough to play competitively, which Amaranto Perea also drops out because of a physical complaint

Colombia striker Radamel Falcao has failed to recover from a serious knee injury in time to make Jose Peckerman’s squad for the World Cup.

The Monaco striker sustained ligament damage in his knee while playing in a Coupe de France encounter against Monts d'Or Azergues in January, and though he was able to train with the squad, he will not be risked for the summer’s tournament.

“I don't want to say good evening because it has been such a sad day. I have to announce that Amaranto Perea, Luis Fernando Muriel and Falcao will miss the World Cup. “Perea and Falcao because of their injuries and Muriel as a technical decision,” Pekerman told the press on Sunday.

"The doctors have been very clear: now is not the time for Falcao to return to competition."

Clearly emotional, the striker added: "I do not want to take the place of a team-mate who is at 100 per cent."

The ex-Atletico Madrid attacker had been fighting a race against time from the moment he was struck down, though when he returned to training with his club in the final week of the Ligue 1 campaign there had been tentative optimism he would be fit.

However, that has not been the case, and after failing to feature in any of Colombia’s warm-up friendlies to date, he will not be amongst the playing party to travel to Brazil, where matches against Greece, Ivory Coast and Japan await.

Colombia squad in full:

Goalkeepers: David Ospina; Faryd Mondragon; Camilo Vargas.

Defenders: Juan Camilo Zuniga; Pablo Armero; Santiago Arias; Eder Alvarez Balanta; Mario Alberto Yepes; Carlos Valdes; Cristian Zapata.

Midfielders: Carlos Sanchez; Abel Aguilar; Alexander Mejia; Freddy Guarin; Juan Guillermo Cuadrado; James Rodriguez; Juan Fernando Quintero; Aldo Leao Ramirez; Victor Ibarbo.

Strikers: Jackson Martinez; Adrian Ramos; Teofilo Gutierrez; Carlos Bacca.

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bosnia announce final World Cup squad

415894_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Jun 3, 2014 12:13:00 AM

As Safet Susic had originally named a 24-man provisional squad, Ervin Zukanovic was the only casualty after he was refused a visa and missed the nation's training camp in the USA

Bosnia-Herzegovina have confirmed their final squad for the 2014 World Cup.

Ervin Zukanovic has been omitted as he was unable to travel with the to their training camp in the United States after being refused a visa.

The Gent defender was quoted as blaming the situation on the Bosnian football federation, who subsequently responded with a statement that confirmed the player would no longer be needed in Brazil.

Bosnia coach Safet Susic had originally named 24 players in his provisional squad, so the absence of Zukanovic means the other players who were originally selected have been retained.

Susic's men reached the finals after topping their qualifying group ahead of Greece, who subsequently made it to Brazil via the play-offs.

Bosnia face Mexico in their final warm-up match on Wednesday, before taking on Argentina, Nigeria and Iran in Group F at the World Cup.

Squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Asmir Avdukic (Borac Banja Luka), Asmir Begovic (Stoke City), Jasmin Fezjic (Aalen).

Defenders: Muhamed Besic (Ferencvaros), Ermin Bicakcic (Eintracht Braunschweig), Sead Kolasinac (Schalke), Emir Spahic (Bayer Leverkusen), Toni Sunjic (Zorya), Ognjen Vranjes (Elazigspor).

Midifelders: Anel Hadzic (Sturm Graz), Izet Hajrovic (Galatasaray), Senijad Ibricic (Erciyespor), Senad Lulic (Lazio), Haris Medunjanin (Gaziantepspor), Zvjezdan Misimovic (Guizhou Renhe), Mensur Mujdza (Freiburg), Miralem Pjanic (Roma), Sejad Salihovic (Hoffenheim), Tino Susic (Hajduk Split), Edin Visca (Istanbul BB), Avdija Vrsajevic (Hajduk Split).

Forwards: Edin Dzeko (Manchester City), Vedad Ibisevic (Stuttgart).

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nigeria announce World Cup squad

412895_heroa.jpg

By Shina Oludare
Jun 3, 2014 12:42:00 AM

There were no surprises in Nigeria's selection for Brazil, with the likes of Vincent Enyeama, Joseph Yobo and Echiejile making the cut

Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi has named his 23-man squad players for the World Cup in Brazil.

The Africa Cup of Nations champions will be making their fifth appearance at world football's major showpiece and have been drawn in the same group with Argentina, Iran and Bosnia.

Experienced names such as Vincent Enyeama, Austin Ejide, Joseph Yobo and Elderson Echiejile who were part of the squad to South Africa 2010 made the final list and will look to make amends for their group stage exit in their last outing.

Top scorer of the 29th Africa Cup of Nations, Emmanuel Emenike, Godfrey Oboabona, John Obi Mikel and Victor Moses will be expected to make their World Cup debut when the championship kicks off.

There are three goalkeepers, eight defenders, five midfielders and seven strikers.

Full Squad:

Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama, Austin Ejide, Chigozie Agbim

Defenders: Joseph Yobo, Elderson Echiejile, Juwon Oshaniwa, Godfrey Oboabona, Azubuike Egwuekwe, Kenneth Omeruo, Efe Ambrose, Kunle Odunlami

Midfielders: John Mikel Obi, Ogenyi Onazi, Ramon Azeez, Michael Uchebo, Reuben Gabriel

Strikers: Osaze Odemwingie, Ahmed Musa, Shola Ameobi, Emmanuel Emenike, Babatunde Michael, Victor Moses, Uche Nwofor

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Milner: There is competition for every spot in England team

415474_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Jun 3, 2014 1:00:00 AM

The Manchester City midfielder hopes to earn a start against Italy on June 14 as the Three Lions continue their preparations having arrived in Miami on Sunday

James Milner believes the competition within England's squad will prove a major benefit at the World Cup.

The versatile Manchester City midfielder is up against Adam Lallana and Raheem Sterling for a starting berth in England's Group D opener against Italy in Manaus for what will be his second appearance at the showpiece tournament.

At present he looks set to play a key role for manager Roy Hodgson from the bench with the 28-year-old keen to stress the importance of England's versatility.

As well as having plenty of options in the squad, Milner feels the squad are ready for the differing tests offered by group rivals Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica.

"The competition for places is really good all over the squad. There is great versatility, we'll have to play against teams differently," Milner told reporters.

"There is a real professional feel around the squad and everyone knows what is expected of them. Everyone is raring to go.

"Everybody's fitness is there or thereabouts. We are all raring to go. Hopefully I can be in that starting line-up against Italy.

"We are in and around the heat which is exactly why we are here. Come that first game I don't think we could be more prepared.

"You don't get many chances to play in a World Cup. It's an amazing experience and everyone is looking forward to that."

Milner could come up against former City team-mate Mario Balotelli when England face Italy while Uruguay will hope Liverpool star Luis Suarez recovers from a knee injury in time to play a part in the group stage.

However, the former Aston Villa man played down the benefits of being familiar with opposition players.

"Knowing players we are playing against helps. But we're playing against teams not just individuals. We need to concentrate on the whole team," he added.

"The weather in South America is a major difference but we're doing everything to prepare. The atmosphere won't come into it, we're used to that.

"All three games are important. We are focused on the first game now, but it may (prove to) be helpful to prepare against Latin American teams in [the] build-up."

ThosayMaureenNeo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
England the team that usually goes home early.

"Therefore, of course, you have Brazil, Spain, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Argentina…all of whom are great teams and usually do well.

"Aside from the usual suspects, I think that Uruguay and Belgium are both capable of springing a surprise."

[/COLOR]

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

All is well in Netherlands camp, insists Van Gaal

415688_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Jun 3, 2014 10:48:00 PM

The 62-year-old is happy with his relationship with his players and is looking forward to coming up against some of his former Barcelona players when his side take on Spain

Louis van Gaal is confident there will not be any internal disputes within his Netherlands squad during the World Cup.

Netherlands have developed a reputation for undermining their own shots at glory as conflicts in their own dressing room played a huge role in their capitulation at the European Championships in 1996 and 2012.

Van Gaal says the same issues in the team plagued his first spell in charge of the Oranje when they failed to qualify for the 2002 World Cup.

However, the 62-year-old feels all is well between his current group of players and says there is a greater relationship between the players and the coach.

"It's also dependent on the management, it is not only the players," he told Fifa's official website. "I think it is about the relationship between a manager and his squad.

"In my first episode there was that disruption but I have understood now. They like me now. I feel there are no problems and we have a very good relationship. But it is also dependent on the results."

Netherlands begin their World Cup campaign in Brazil against Spain, where Van Gaal will come up against some of the players he handed debuts to when in charge of Barcelona.

He continued: "I'm proud not only of Xavi and Andres Iniesta, but also Carles Puyol and Victor Valdes who are injured and not playing against us.

"I'm proud, but we can resist against these creative midfielders - even though it shall be difficult."

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo suffering from tendinosis, say Portugal

Wed Jun 4, 2014 1:24pm BST

r

Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal's National Team attends a practice session for their upcoming friendly soccer matches in the United States at the NFL New York Jets practice facility in Florham Park, New Jersey, June 3, 2014. REUTERS/Ray Stubblebine

(Reuters) - Cristiano Ronaldo is suffering from tendinosis in the region around his left kneecap, the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) said in a statement on Wednesday.

The FPF said that Real Madrid forward Ronaldo had undergone "specially adapted, individual" training on Monday but did not give any further details.

The World Player of the Year missed last Saturday's 0-0 draw at home to Greece with what the FPF described as a left thigh injury.

Portugal are training near New York and face Mexico in a friendly in Boston on Friday.

Ronaldo struggled with minor injuries during the closing weeks of Real's season before playing 120 minutes in last month's Champions League final against Atletico Madrid and scoring the final goal in their 4-1 win with a penalty.

Portugal's opening World Cup match is against Germany in Salvador on June 16.

(Reporting by Brian Homewood; editing by Martyn Herman)

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spain in same upbeat mood as 2010, Pique says

WASHINGTON Wed Jun 4, 2014 8:48pm BST

r

Spain's Gerard Pique (R) kicks a ball next to Xavi Hernandez (L) and Sergio Ramos on the sideline during a Spanish national soccer team training session at Robert F. Kennedy (RFK) Stadium in Washington June 3, 2014. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

(Reuters) - Spain are feeling in the same positive mood they were before they won their first World Cup in South Africa four years ago, defender Gerard Pique said on Wednesday as the Iberian nation gear up to defend their title.

"In 2010 we experienced something unforgettable and as far as this World Cup goes the feelings are just as good," Pique told a news conference ahead of Spain's final warm-up game against El Salvador in Washington on Saturday.

"Nothing has changed except now we have the star on our shirts," added the Barcelona centre back.

"Maybe the other teams have more respect for us as it's not the same when you come into the tournament as the holders.

"But everything depends on your feelings and they are very good, the team is at a very high level. We have a strong team and we can aim for the top."

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has retained 16 players from the squad that triumphed in South Africa, the most returned at the following World Cup by any world champion.

La Roja followed up their World Cup success with a second consecutive European Championship victory in 2012 and are among the favourites for the tournament in Brazil which starts in just over a week's time.

Pique said Brazil-born forward Diego Costa, one of the few new additions to the squad, was recovering well from a series of muscle injuries and should be back to full fitness before Spain's opening Group B game against Netherlands on June 13.

The game in Salvador is a repeat of the 2010 final, which Spain won 1-0 after extra time, and their other opponents in the group are Chile and Australia.

"He (Costa) seems in good shape to me, he has a lot of desire," Pique told reporters.

"You can tell he is going into an important competition with Spain and in Brazil, which will be special for him.

"He is motivated, recovered from his injury and he will be an important part of the team.

"In terms of muscles, he will have to be at peak fitness to perform but he seems fine to me and I expect him to be in perfect shape for the World Cup. There are many days left and there won't be any problem."

(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Justin Palmer)

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brazil in last-minute rush to be ready for World Cup

By Brad Haynes
SAO PAULO Wed Jun 4, 2014 5:07pm BST

r

(Reuters) - With just over a week to go before the World Cup kicks off, Brazil is racing to get its stadiums, airports, roads and phone networks ready before hundreds of thousands of football fans descend on the country.

Airports in nearly all 12 host cities are swarmed with construction workers laying parking lots, installing check-in counters and kicking up clouds of dust with long-delayed expansions.

Workers at several stadiums are still struggling to set up cell phone networks that can withstand tens of thousands of smartphones. Temporary bleachers in Sao Paulo's stadium, which will host the opening game on June 12, have still not been tested under the full weight of fans.

After more than 13 years of intermittent construction, trains are finally making test runs on a metro that will deliver ticket holders to the stadium in the northeastern city of Salvador.

Only about half the projects promised for the World Cup have been delivered and many of those are only partly done, souring the mood in a country obsessed with football but increasingly sceptical about the benefits of hosting the show.

The late rush means most of the critical infrastructure will be in place and few doubt that the first World Cup in Brazil since 1950 will be one to remember.

President Dilma Rousseff promises Brazil will be fully ready on time even as she recognises delays with some big projects.

"Nobody does a (subway) in two years. Well, maybe China," she said with a smile during a meeting with foreign journalists on Tuesday night, calling delays "the cost of our democracy."

Still, frustrations over broken budgets, sloppy planning and missed opportunities to build a more enduring legacy fuelled a wave of protests last year and still loom over the World Cup.

The cycle of dire warnings and a late scramble to get ready is a familiar one ahead of the World Cup and the Olympics, and host nations usually manage to silence sceptics in the end. Even by those standards, though, Brazil is cutting it close.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter said in January that Brazil was further behind than any other host country he could recall with just five months to go.

Now he and other FIFA officials are putting on their game faces and adopting a more optimistic tone.

"I am sure it will be a great, great success," Blatter said. "The Brazilian spirit of the game and the Brazilian ability to play football makes this World Cup very, very special."

Throughout the country, Brazil's flag and iconic yellow jerseys are multiplying on the streets. Blending dogged pride with defiance of sporadic protests, some Brazilians have taken to Twitter with the hashtag #VaiTerCopaSim - or "Yes, there will be a World Cup."

The Brazilian team, which has already won the World Cup a record five times, is widely favoured to win again. If it does, home fans will put on a party to remember.

NOT READY YET

For organizers, however, it is still too early to celebrate.

Workers in Sao Paulo and Natal have spent the last week installing seats in stadiums that were supposed to be ready in December.

The Sao Paulo stadium staged a weekend game to test its readiness but used about half the seating capacity and just a quarter of the temporary bleachers, some of which had not cleared safety checks.

Pick-up and drop-off areas at the airport in Belo Horizonte have been redirected around a crane. Workers in orange jumpsuits mingle with travellers in the main concourse.

In Manaus, passengers complain of the clouds of dust from the airport's ongoing expansion, while tractors are still working on new parking lots outside.

Even at new airports where the dust has settled, terminals promised for the World Cup may not be used for the tournament because they were delivered with so little time for inspection.

The second of two new terminals promised for the World Cup in the capital Brasilia was delivered last month but regulators have not yet authorized it for operation. A new airport west of Natal was only cleared for international arrivals on Tuesday.

Getting to and from some airports is also a headache as projects meant to smooth the connection to downtown areas are instead snarling traffic.

In Curitiba, 10 miles (16 km) of road to the airport is now a construction zone funnelling cars from four lanes to as few as one, doubling or tripling what had been a 30-minute ride.

A light rail project promised for the World Cup in Cuiaba won't enter service this year, but dozens of workers still swarm the work site where rails pass outside the airport. Driving from there to the city centre can now take up to two hours.

In some places workers have even reversed course, filling in trenches they had dug in order to cover up work sites with squares of grassy sod.

Determined to highlight signs of progress, Rousseff has inaugurated a series of high-profile public work projects, although construction continues on many of them

On Sunday, she celebrated the opening of a $700 million bus corridor across Rio de Janeiro, running from the airport at the north end of town to a booming beachside borough in the south. Only half the stations are open and just two of a planned seven bus lines will be ready in time for the World Cup.

At the expanded airport terminal Rousseff visited earlier in the day, construction was covered over with plywood barriers.

She played down the World Cup connection, saying they are long-term investments. "We're not making airports or projects of this scale for the World Cup. We do it for all Brazilians."

Still, the tournament offered a clear deadline for big transportation programs such as Salvador's metro, which languished for years after work first started in 2000.

Tests on the long-awaited metro line were suspended after a worker died in an accident and service is now set to begin June 11, on the eve of the tournament opener.

(Additional reporting by Stephen Eisenhammer in Rio de Janeiro, Anthony Boadle in Brasilia, Nacho Doce in Belo Horizonte, Rodolfo Buhrer in Curitiba, Bruno Kelly in Manaus and Jose Medeiros in Cuiaba; Editing by Todd Benson and Kieran Murray)

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I am behind Ronaldo injury problems, claims witch doctor

416822_heroa.jpg

Jun 4, 2014 5:06:00 PM

A Ghanaian has said that he has provoked the Portugal star to be spiritually wounded before the World Cup and will prevent him from facing the Black Stars

A traditional priest from Ghana has said that he is behind Cristiano Ronaldo’s injury problems, which “can never be cured by any medic”.

The Real Madrid and Portugal star is suffering from tendonitis and is set to miss out on his country’s pre-World Cup friendlies against Mexico and Ireland, though Nana Kwaku Bonsam, who describes himself as a traditional priest, has claimed responsibility for the Ballon d’Or winner’s plight, which he has claimed to be “spiritual”.

“I know what Cristiano Ronaldo’s injury is about, I’m working on him,” the witchdoctor told Ghanaian radio station Angel FM.

“I am very serious about it. Last week, I went around looking for four dogs and I got them to be used in manufacturing a special spirit called ‘Kahwiri Kapam’.

“I said it four months ago that I will work on Cristiano Ronaldo and rule him out of the World Cup or at least prevent him from playing against Ghana and the best thing I can do is to keep him out though injury.

“This injury can never be cured by any medic, they can never see what is causing the injury because it is spiritual. Today, it is his knee, tomorrow it is thigh, next day it is something else.”

Ghana are due to play Portugal on June 26 in Brasilia, in what will be their final match of Group G, which also includes Germany and USA.