• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Oxlade-Chamberlain will be fit for World Cup, says Hodgson

By Ken Ferris
MIAMI Sun Jun 8, 2014 2:55am BST

r

Arsenal's Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain celebrates after scoring a goal against Crystal Palace during their English Premier League soccer match at the Emirates stadium in London, February 2, 2014. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh

(Reuters) - England winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will be fit to play at the World Cup after damaging his medial knee ligament against Ecuador in a warmup game, according to manager Roy Hodgson.

"I think he will make the tournament without a shadow of a doubt. That's good news," Hodgson said on Saturday after his side were held to a 0-0 draw by 10-man Honduras.

A disconsolate Oxlade-Chamberlain had hobbled off during the 2-2 draw with Ecuador on Wednesday at the Sun Life stadium.

England were relieved to get through their latest test ahead of the finals in Brazil without any more injuries but captain Steven Gerrard was not happy with the Honduras tackling.

Striker Daniel Sturridge was lucky to escape without injury when Emilio Izaguirre booted the ball against his midriff having just brought him down with a reckless challenge.

"I don't understand the referee when the ball is being kicked into a player's chest," said Gerrard. "That should have been a straight red card and with 10 men it could have been different."

Fellow World Cup qualifiers Honduras were eventually reduced to 10 men in the 65th minute when right back Brayan Beckeles was shown a second yellow card for catching England's Leighton Baines in the head with his arm as they jumped for the ball.

"We're quite frustrated in the dressing room. We thought the referee was poor, they were doing some stupid fouls," added Gerrard, who was frustrated that England had failed to score.

"Maybe we could have moved the ball a bit quicker, but there were some horrific challenges. I certainly got caught by one."

Gerrard said he was withdrawn at halftime as a precaution with Hodgson not wanting to risk his skipper's fitness.

"I had a tight groin in midweek so it was always the plan for me to play just 45 minutes," he said.

(Reporting by Ken Ferris; Editing by Ian Ransom)

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

World Cup stadium delays force fans to switch tickets

RIO DIEIRO Sat Jun 7, 2014 6:10pm BST

bfaa39fc05e3ef2a450f6a706700588f.jpg

(Reuters) - More than 1,000 fans planning to attend World Cup matches in Brazil have been forced to switch seats after stadium building delays and changes to signage compelled a reconfigurement of some seating plans, local organisers said on Saturday.

Emails were sent to 1,376 fans telling them to exchange their tickets for others of the same category but in a different section of several of the 12 tournament stadiums.

The substitutions were forced upon organisers by the delay in completing the stadiums, a problem that has dogged preparations for several years and continues to do so less than a week before the opening match between Brazil and Croatia in Sao Paulo next Thursday.

A FIFA media spokesman said that officials had contacted ticketholders in advance to prevent confusion or delays on match days and that the changes affected only a tiny proportion of the 2.2 million tickets sold.

"The very nature of proactively contacting the customers about problems with seats should illustrate the extra effort that FIFA is undertaking in order to ensure that the seats exist on match day at the stadia or that alternative seats will be provided," said a FIFA spokesman.

"This was not possible for the Confederations Cup (where there were similar problems) and every effort is being taken in the World Cup to proactively communicate with the customers. It is in the best interest of the customer to get their ticket in advance of match day to avoid having any challenges at the stadium on a match day.

"Every day we are reviewing and inspecting seats as there are still temporary elements that are being installed within the stadiums. So we will continue to monitor and will proactively communicate with customers where possible," FIFA said in a statement.

(Editing by Justin Palmer)

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Portugal boosted by Ronaldo return

418860_heroa.jpg

Harry West
Jun 7, 2014 4:53:00 PM

The Real Madrid star has been hampered by injury problems since the end of his club season but now appears to have overcome those troubles

Cristiano Ronaldo is set to return to training in a massive boost to Portugal's World Cup preparations.

The 29-year-old has missed both of Portugal's pre-finals friendlies so far - a 0-0 draw with Greece and Friday's 1-0 win over Mexico.

Ronaldo has been struggling with persistent knee injuries ever since Real Madrid's Champions League final victory over Atletico at the end of May.

Fenerbahce's Raul Meireles will also make his comeback after at last overcoming a troublesome thigh problem.

A statement on the Portuguese Football Federation's website on Saturday explained that both would return to training with the rest of the squad.

But, one worry for coach Paulo Bento is the fitness of central defender Pepe, who has been troubled by a calf injury and he will continue "individual rehabilitation and specific exercises".

Portugal have one more friendly, against Republic of Ireland in New Jersey on Tuesday, before their World Cup campaign begins.

Following that game, Bento and his squad will fly out to Brazil and begin final preparations for their opening Group G fixture against Germany on June 16.

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Uzoenyi replaces Echiejile in Nigeria's World Cup squad

246258_heroa.jpg

By Shina Oludare
Jun 8, 2014 12:03:00 AM

The Enugu Rangers forward has been called back to the Super Eagles camp in the USA ahead of the World Cup in Brazil

Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi has recalled Enugu Rangers striker Ejike Uzoenyi to the Super Eagles camp for the World Cup after injury ruled out Elderson Echiejile.

Echiejile suffered a muscle tear during the friendly clash with Greece and sources have confirmed to Goal that the injury will keep him out of action for at least two weeks.

With Nigeria set to kick off their campaign in Brazil following Saturday's friendly with USA, the technical crew are not willing to risk the player's fitness and have opted to draft in a last-minute replacement.

Uzoenyi, who wept in the team bus on the way back to the hotel in Philadelphia after being informed that he did not make the initial 23-man team, will now have a chance to prove his worth.
Nigeria take on Iran on June 16 before games against Bosnia-Herzegovina on June 21 and Argentina four days later.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cameroon settle bonus row

419437_heroa.jpg

Nicholas McGee
Jun 8, 2014 4:21:00 PM

Reports claimed the squad had refused to board the plane to Brazil until a financial agreement was reached, but their coach says any dispute has now been resolved

Volker Finke has dismissed fears over Cameroon's participation at the World Cup, declaring that a row over bonuses has been ended.

French newspaper L'Equipe reported on Sunday that the squad had refused to board their plane to Brazil due to the lack of an agreement over the level of bonuses they are set to receive.

However, national coach Finke has revealed that a deal has now been reached and that they will be flying out as planned.

"It's just one of those things that these agreements can take longer in Africa," Finke told German TV station Sport1.

"That agreement was struck this morning and now we can fly to Brazil today (Sunday).

"Our fans will be pleased - Cameroon will of course be participating in the World Cup.

"The agreement is there and there's no point making such a big fuss out of the whole thing. It's really not as big as it has been made out to be in recent days."

Cameroon start their World Cup campaign against Mexico on June 13 in Natal before taking on Croatia and hosts Brazil.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lukaku injury not too bad - Wilmots

419281_heroa.jpg

Jun 8, 2014 12:20:00 PM

The 21-year-old is expected to lead the lines for the Rode Duivels at this summer's showpiece and the coach says his injury is nothing to worry about

Belgium coach Marc Wilmots played down concerns over Romelu Lukaku's ankle after limped off of their match against Tunisia on Saturday.

Wilmots' side won their friendly before the World Cup 1-0, with Dries Mertens struck the winner in the 89th minute.

The coach labelled the game 'weird', after it was suspended midway through the first half due to a severe hailstorm and did not restart for 45 minutes.

But the focus after the match was on Lukaku's right ankle, which appeared to be injured in a tackle from Tunisia's Bilel Mohsni.

Lukaku was brought off in second-half stoppage time but Wilmots claimed the Chelsea forward had suffered, at worst, a 'severe sprain' and should only miss three or four days of training.

"Romelu has problems walking," he said after the game. "His injury seems at first sight not too bad, the doctors told me.

"This is preliminary to a severe sprain but we will obviously do additional tests on Sunday.

"For the time being, Romelu will miss three to four days, hopefully it stops there."

Lukaku is expected to be his country's main striker in Brazil with the 21-year-old centre forward having scored four goals in his country's three lead-up games, on the back of 16 in all competitions on loan at Everton last season.

With Tunisia playing five men in defence, Belgium struggled to break through the visitors, although Wilmots was pleased with his team's patience.

The 45-year-old coach had set up the friendly against Tunisia to prepare for Belgium's World Cup opener against Algeria but he claimed the Algerians would attack more in Belo Horizonte on June 17.

"It was hard to play [against a team] that remained with nine men behind the ball," Wilmots said.

"This was a very good test with an eye on the World Cup and Algeria, although that team has even more talent offensively."

Mertens was less positive about Belgium's performance, although he paid tribute to Nacer Chadli and Vincent Kompany for their passes, which created his goal.

"It was not a good match," Mertens said.

"We won 1-0 and that is ultimately what it's all about but we had to play faster.

"Scoring is always good. The pass from Chadli was tailor-made, like the first pass from Kompany."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5-3-2 could undo Spain - Robben

417044_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Jun 8, 2014 5:46:00 PM

The winger believes the Oranje's tactical shift may be the perfect solution to halting the world and European champions

Arjen Robben says the Netherlands have bought into Louis van Gaal's new-look 5-3-2 system and believes it could well be the perfect formation to defeat Spain in the World Cup opener on Friday.

The Oranje are famous for their playing 4-3-3 but the 2-0 defeat to France in March prompted a change of thinking amongst the staff and players after they were overrun in that loss.

Van Gaal has since settled on a 5-3-2 system and Robben says the squad are all behind the new approach and dismissed fears it could compromise their attacking instincts.

He told De Telegraaf: "After the France match, I thought long and hard and talked it over with other players. We spent two hours discussing what was best for the team.

"The coach came up with the idea of playing 5-3-2 and I bought into it. We've always been on board with the Dutch school and intricate football and I believe our strengths still lie in positional play and going forward, but we mustn't be too open."

Reigning world and European champions Spain are Netherlands' first Group B opponents of World Cup 2014 on Friday and Robben believes their tactical shift could prove key.

"We were overrun by France and we knew we would have to be mindful of that against Spain, because otherwise we would have a problem," he added.

"If we leave big gaps against Spain we will be in trouble. We mustn't give it away at the back and we have enough training days to ensure the team stay together as a unit.

"We are working really hard on it, including using videos."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Italy must stop Sturridge and Rooney, says Zola

419404_heroa.jpg

By Dan Brett
Jun 8, 2014 6:14:00 PM

The Chelsea legend has warned his national side against complacency against Roy Hodgson's men and feels that the England defence is quicker than in previous World Cup campaigns

Gianfranco Zola has warned Italy against underestimating Wayne Rooney and Daniel Sturridge.

The pair are likely to start for England against the Azzurri in the Group D opener, with the Manchester United forward bagging a goal in the 2-2 draw with Ecuador.

Sturridge started but failed to score in both of the Three Lions' warm-up matches, but the former Chelsea talisman believes that both players can be key to success against his native side in Brazil.

"Italy has to be able to stop two stronger players like Sturridge and Rooney", he told Gazzetta dello Sport.

Zola also believes that Cesare Prandelli's strikers must up their game against Roy Hodgson's side, and believes that the England defence can stand up to the rigours of fast-paced tournament football better than in previous years.

"Italy has more expert players, England has younger player and two magnetic players like Gerrard and Lampard.

"In my opinion [Mario] Balotelli and [Antonio] Cassano could create some problems for England defenders, but unlike the past England defenders are less slow. Italy and England in general are similar squad with some certainty and more variables."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cafu: Germany will definitely reach World Cup final

411203_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 8, 2014 8:28:00 PM

The two-time champion is a huge admirer of Joachim Low's side and feels they will be the hosts' opposition at the Maracana on July 13

Cafu is in no doubt that Brazil will meet Germany in the final of this summer's World Cup.

The former Selecao skipper has the utmost respect for Joachim Low's men, who reached the semi-finals in South Africa in 2010 with a young side that drew praise for their attacking endeavour.

Cafu now believes that the Germans, with a further four years of experience under their belts, are now host nation Brazil's most likely opponents in Rio on July 13.

"Germany are a very strong team," the two-time World Cup winner told Sportinformations-Dienst.

"They are very highly rated here [in Brazil]. Germany have developed very well.

"We all believe in a final against Germany. They will definitely reach the final."

Cafu, who represented the likes of Roma and AC Milan during a stellar playing career, led Brazil to a 2-0 victory over Germany in the final of the 2002 World Cup.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Deschamps: Debuchy not out of World Cup

411962_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 8, 2014 10:44:00 PM

The Bleus boss has revealed that the full-back was only taken off as a precautionary measure against Jamaica as he was experiencing a "little discomfort" while running

France coach Didier Deschamps has played down the severity of the injury that forced Mathieu Debuchy off in Sunday's friendly against Jamaica.

The Newcastle United defender was replaced by Bacary Sagna at half-time and there were immediate reports that the full-back had fractured a bone in his foot, thus ruling him out of the World Cup.

However, Deschamps quickly dispelled those rumours, insisting that Debuchy's problem is a minor one.

"He feels a little discomfort when he runs," the Bleus coach told TF1. "But he must go have it checked."

France ran riot in their final warm-up clash, winning 8-0 courtesy of doubles from Karim Benzema, Blaise Matuidi and Antoine Griezmann, and one goal apiece from Yohan Cabaye and Olivier Giroud.

"It was [a performance] full of confidence," Deschamps enthused. "But it does not give us any insurance for the first game of the World Cup.

"I know what you [the press] are going to say: we met with a team of tourists. But I prefer to think of the performance of my players.

"But a completely different match awaits us on June 15 [against Honduras]."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Immobile: Play me against England

419680_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jun 9, 2014 8:53:00 AM

The new Borussia Dortmund striker has called on Cesare Prandelli to start him after scoring a hat-trick in a warm-up game against Fluminense on Sunday

Italy striker Ciro Immobile has called on coach Cesare Prandelli to play him alongside Mario Balotelli against England on Saturday.

The 24-year-old scored a hat trick and set up two other goals as Italy beat Brazilian club Fluminense 5-3 in World Cup warm-up game on Sunday.

Immobile, who recently joined Borussia Dortmund after finishing the season as Serie A's top scorer with Torino last season, is now hoping his rich vein of form will result in him starting Italy’s first Group D match.

"If I play on Saturday, [the coach] will exclusively decide, I accept all his choices. If we play Balotelli, it will mean that he felt it right. I can only do my best and carve out my space."

He added: "I think I can play along with Balotelli, but I do not make the decisions. Prandelli decides and his choices are not discussed.

"I'm a striker and obviously I live to score. I'm happy with my performance, it seems obvious to me [to play]."

Italy open up their World Cup campaign against England in Manaus on Saturday before facing Costa Rica and Uruguay as the Azzurri attempt to progress from one of the tournament’s toughest groups.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Beckham backs Rooney in Scholes row

412656_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Jun 9, 2014 8:26:00 AM

The Three Lions' most-capped outfield player feels opposition sides still fear the striker while he also praised Raheem Sterling ahead of the World Cup in Brazil

Ex-England captain David Beckham has backed Wayne Rooney after the Manchester United striker responded to claims from Paul Scholes that he was past his best.

Rooney insisted he was not interested in what his former team-mate had to say, with the ex-England midfielder suggesting the striker had burnt out because he started his professional career as a teenager.

But Beckham feels that Rooney is still an asset for both club and country, and is a fear for opposition sides when they see his name on the teamsheet.

"I’d always back Wazza [Rooney] because he’s a great talent and he’s a great player for England. Every time he’s stepped out in an England shirt, he always gives 110 per cent," he told the Daily Mail.

"Scholesy is a person that knows Wayne as well and has been around him for quite a few years and everyone is entitled to their opinion but not everyone is going to agree with it.

"In the games I’ve seen him play for United, he’s been the shining light. But Scholesy’s been around him more than I have.

"He has always been about more than just scoring goals, he’s a goalscorer but he works hard for the team and that is what Wayne’s game has always been about.

"If he doesn’t score goals he’s either assisting or creating something for the team and working hard for the team. I think for the opposition to see Wayne Rooney on a teamsheet, that scares them."

Beckham, who was in Miami to see Roy Hodgson's side draw 0-0 with Honduras in their final World Cup warm-up match, also praised Liverpool's Raheem Sterling ahead of the tournament in Brazil.

The 19-year-old missed out on a start against the Central American side after being sent off against Ecuador, but Beckham believes his form at club level means he could still gain a starting berth in Brazil.

"I think he’s a great talent, he plays with the flair of a kid who goes out and just plays.

"The games I’ve seen him play for Liverpool and England, he’s just stepped into a role and deserves to be here."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Adam Johnson surprised by World Cup exclusion

419939_heroa.jpg

By Sam Williams
Jun 9, 2014 11:39:00 AM

The Sunderland winger has 12 caps to his name but feels his form since the turn of the year was much better than when he last appeared for England in August 2012

Sunderland winger Adam Johnson believes his form warranted inclusion in England's World Cup squad.

The 26-year-old's form in the second half of last season was a major factor behind the Black Cats avoiding relegation, and saw him awarded the Premier League player of the month prize for January.

Johnson has 12 caps to his name but last appeared for England in August 2012 after struggling impress Roy Hodgson - and he feels his performances since the turn of the year warranted a place on the plane to Brazil.

"On the whole, since the new gaffer [Gus Poyet] came in, I've been happy with my form," he told the Sunderland Echo.

"It was then that I started scoring a few goals and getting back to my best form and from January onwards is probably the best I have played in my career.

"Everyone would be saying that I was playing really well at City when I was getting into England squads, but personally I think this is the best spell I've had as a footballer.

"I think it's the freedom I've been given; expressing myself, playing my normal game and not having to worry about playing right-back, which brought the best out in me.

"Or not getting the ball on halfway and having to run 60 yards. It's all those little things. You ask any attacker and the last thing you want to be doing is running 60 yards before you get anywhere near the goal."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Germany face tough task to get out of group - Podolski

418774_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jun 9, 2014 12:52:00 PM

The Arsenal man has highlighted the threat posed by their Group G rivals and believes the South American nations will fare well at the tournament

Germany star Lukas Podolski has admitted his side have a tough task on their hands if they are to reach the knockout stages of the World Cup in Brazil.

Joachim Low’s team have been drawn alongside Portugal, Ghana and the United States in Group G - one of the tournament’s most difficult pools.

Despite reaching the semi-finals at the last two World Cups, Podolski understands Germany will need to be at their very best to avoid being a shock early casualty.

“I think it's a tough draw because Portugal have Cristiano Ronaldo and other players who can create a lot of chances to score,” Podolski told Arsenal Player.

“United States have a German coach (Jurgen Klinsmann) so it's a special game for him. And with Ghana, African teams always fight and keep giving 110 per cent.

“It's not easy but I think we have a strong team and we want to get out of this group and play a good World Cup. We want to fight for the title.”

Current world and European champions Spain will be looking to become the first team to retain their title in Brazil this summer, while hosts Brazil will also be one of the pre-tournament favourites.

And Podolski accepts that if Germany make it through the group stages, the South American teams such as Brazil and Argentina will pose a huge threat to their chances of ending an 18-year title drought.

“It's not always easy because people think that Germany go to Brazil and win the title,” he said.

“Everyone thinks it's done [but] you have a lot of teams who want the same – especially the South American teams, who are strong.”

Germany will play Portugal in their Group G opening game in Salvador on June 16.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fred: Brazil not 100 per cent ready

418493_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jun 9, 2014 11:57:00 AM

The 30-year-old striker has admitted that the Selecao are working hard to improve ahead of their World Cup opening match against Croatia

Fred has admitted Brazil have not yet reached their full potential and are working hard to correct any weaknesses ahead of the World Cup.

Brazil will host the tournament in four days when they open up the competition against Croatia in Sao Paulo.

Luiz Felipe Scolari’s team are under huge pressure to clinch their sixth World Cup at home but to also perform well during the tournament.

Fred scored the only goal in Brazil’s nervy 1-0 friendly win over Serbia on Friday, which resulted in some fans booing the team’s performance.

However, Fred has acknowledged that while his team-mates have not yet reached their best technically or tactically, Brazil will be ready for the challenge that awaits them at the World Cup.

"We cannot deceive people and say that we are at 100 per cent. We are fine but we must evolve before our debut and then continue to improve throughout the competition," Fred told a press conference.

On his side’s preparations in Teresopolis, the Fluminense striker added: "They were two very good weeks for us because there were some errors and it is good that they happened because we have time to correct them.”

Brazil play Croatia in their opening Group A game in Sao Paulo on June 12 before facing Mexico and Cameroon.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Del Bosque: Don't label Spain favourites

418389_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jun 9, 2014 12:24:00 PM

The 63-year-old believes his players could retain the World Cup this summer but does not want the team to be burdened by expectation

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has played down his side’s chances of becoming the first team to retain the World Cup.

The world and European champions come into the tournament as one of the favourites to win it, alongside hosts Brazil.

Bit Del Bosque does not want his players to be burdened with the tag of favourites although he has no doubts that Spain can do well in the competition.

"It will be on the field where things will make themselves known. We believe we've worked hard to get things right but football is what, in the end, shows whether things have been done right or not,” Del Bosque told Marca.

“Everything that has happened to us in the last four years is down to the fact that we won [the 2010 World Cup].

"From the idea of being favourites, it is best to turn away, and it is my experience in football that tells me this. A World Cup final is far too big of an event to start sticking these kinds of labels on to.

“Obviously, Brazil are playing at home and are a great team; all the same, the pressure they are going to be under is huge, a lot more than in the Confederations Cup.”

Spain’s distinct ‘tiki-taka’ style of play has helped them achieve huge successes on the international stage over the past eight years.

However, while Del Bosque has admitted his side's possession-based football has been key, he wants his players to be more aggressive in Brazil.

"Football can be played well in many different ways. We do not possess a magic formula; we have an idea based on the players we have available,” Del Bosque said.

“This doesn't mean that there aren't other teams who are just as good and who could get excellent results. Possession without depth has no meaning.

"And that's why we are working hard on being a side which is aggressive in fighting back, compact and capable of putting the pressure on.”

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spain no rigid 'Talibans', says Del Bosque

By Tim Hanlon
BARCELONA Mon Jun 9, 2014 1:23pm BST

r

Spain's coach Vicente del Bosque (2nd R) exits their plane with player Gerard Pique (R) and others as they arrive at the international airport in Curitiba, June 8, 2014. REUTERS/Rodolfo Buhrer

(Reuters) - World Champions Spain are not soccer's rigid "Talibans" and can vary their trademark possession football if necessary, coach Vicente del Bosque has said.

Spain begin their bid to retain the trophy on Friday against the Netherlands, their rivals in the final four years ago in South Africa when the Dutch used a physical approach to try and unsettle them.

The Netherlands now have a coach in Louis van Gaal who hopes to continue the Dutch traditions of total football but has also admitted that he will look to bolster the defence against Spain with five at the back in the Group B match at Salvadore.

"We are not Talibans with just one way of playing," Del Bosque told the Marca newspaper.

"Possession without having depth doesn’t have any point. For that reason we are working so that the team can pressure to win back possession and then as a group attack.

"... football is played in many different ways and there isn't just one. We don't have a magic formula, we have a plan based on the players that we have available. That doesn't mean that there aren't others who are just as good and give results."

Del Bosque was prepared in case Spain's group rivals, that also include Chile and Australia, opt to sit back.

"It's fine if they do. It suits us best being patient and looking for the gaps against teams that are defensive rather than being in games that are end-to-end and out of control," he said.

Winners of the last two European Championships, Spain return to Brazil where they lost the Confederations Cup final last year against the home nation, in front of some hostile crowds.

"It is true that they whistled us in the stadiums but I think that there is a lot of respect with this as they see us as a dangerous threat," said Del Bosque.

"We will go out and do our best. We first face Holland who are a well-organised side, well coached and I am sure that they will cause us a lot of problems. We now have nine or ten places decided in the team and just have a couple of doubts."

The Netherlands will be led in attack by Robin van Persie, who has struggled for fitness this season with Manchester United but now says he is fine to play.

"I am improving and I am in good form. Basically for six years I have had one problem or another but I am used to that," the striker told a news conference in Rio.

"We are not used to so much heat and humidity but we are ready and acclimatising well."

Australia appear the weakest side in the group but Chile look strong opponents that play quick, attacking football inspired by Barcelona's Alexis Sanchez.

There is concern though over the fitness of midfielder Arturo Vidal who has a knee injury and is a doubt for the first match against Australia.

"Chile has a clear style of play and we are going to give our all. We will play on the attack which is our way," forward Jose Fuenzalida told a news conference in Belo Horizonte.

"We are in good form with players that have been many seasons in Europe, that have played before at a World Cup and know how to help us with the anxiety ahead of the first game."

(Editing by Amlan Chakraborty)

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Low: I enjoy the pressure of coaching Germany

419433_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jun 9, 2014 10:49:00 AM

The 54-year-old has admitted he revels in the expectation that comes with coaching the national side but played down the team's chances of winning the World Cup

Joachim Low has revealed he enjoys the pressure that comes with coaching Germany but admits that no amount of preparation will guarantee success at the World Cup.

Low will take charge for Germany’s fourth international tournament in a row as the side attempt to end their 18-year title drought in Brazil.

The 54-year-old possesses a better win-loss ratio than any of his predecessors dating back to 1978, which has resulted in Germany reaching two semi-finals and one final in their last three tournaments.

And Low has revealed that his past successes in charge of the national side have helped ease any anxieties ahead of the World Cup in Brazil.

“The closer we get to a tournament, the calmer I become because I know that we've thought of everything, and I have faith in that. I'm now able to deal with high-pressure situations very well and I even enjoy them actually,” Low told FIFA.

“I'm looking forward to our warm-up games, to every training session and to everything Brazil has in store for us. Experiencing a World Cup in the world's most football-crazy country is as good as it gets, for the players, coaches and fans.”

Despite his meticulous nature, Low admits that no amount of preparation will guarantee success for his team in Brazil.

“There are several things you can plan in advance, such as fitness levels, movement and tactics, but you can only plan for success up to a certain point. We can lay the foundations and that increases the probability of achieving something,” Low said.

“In sporting terms it [their training camp] was very good but even the best training camp cannot guarantee success, let alone guarantee that you'll win the World Cup.”

Germany have a tough opening World Cup match as they play Portugal in Salvador on June 16.

However, Low hopes his side’s commitment to the cause will help increase their chances of winning the tournament this summer – although he refused to give his team a target to achieve.

“I have absolute faith in the abilities of every one of them. I know what we're capable of and I know we've got a chance, but I'm not a prophet and it's not my job to be,” he said.

“Even if I were to promise that we'd win the title that's still no guarantee that we would do so.

“The only thing I can say is that we want to win the World Cup. We'll give everything and we want to play with heart and passion to give our fans something to cheer about.

“I can't say we will win the World Cup, though.”

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

England will struggle with World Cup heat - Espinoza

419835_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Jun 9, 2014 9:33:00 AM

Roy Hodgson's & Co. have landed in Brazil ahead of their tournament opener against Italy on Saturday, but the Honduras and Wigan midfielder feels the humidity will be a concern

England will struggle in Brazil's heat unless they keep possession at the World Cup, according to Honduras midfielder Roger Espinoza.

The Three Lions are set to kick-off their Group D campaign against four-time champions Italy in Manaus – a location known for its humid conditions – on June 15.

And Wigan midfielder Espinoza has singled out England as one of the country's that may struggle to cope in South America after they played out a goalless draw with Honduras in Miami on Saturday.

"I think [the climate] will be a big factor for England. England players are not used to it," Espinoza is quoted as saying by the Daily Mirror.

"I remember where I lived in Manchester, going to Wigan, the sun came out, but it's an artificial sun.

"We would come here to the [United] States in pre-season with Wigan and you can tell how tough it is for the English players, Scottish and Irish guys, too, to come on this side of the world.

"Not many places will be as hot in Brazil, apart from Manaus.

"If they keep the ball like they did against us, they will not get tired. They have the players to keep the ball. That will keep them fresh, stop them getting tired. They're young guys, too.

"But it will be dangerous for them if they don't keep the ball because it is going to be hot."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brazilians backing Argentina to win the World Cup

292329_heroa.jpg

Jun 9, 2014 10:12:00 AM

SPECIAL REPORT: The social disquiet surrounding the staging of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil has led to some natives supporting their arch-rivals

From Paul Macdonald in Rio de Janeiro

The World Cup is here - whether people like it or not. The political and economic undertones have left a sour taste on the local palate; so much so that there is an undercurrent that reckons the country would be better off if Argentina, not Brazil, collect the trophy.

To idealistic football fans, it might destroy their idyllic image of what a World Cup in Brazil represents. Everyone should be dancing in the streets, surely? It’s not the case. The endemic dissatisfaction for this government outweighs Neymar collecting the trophy. For now, at least.

“We have a population that believes that a victory for Brazil endorses the current administration," I was told by a local journalist, who did not want to be named.

And that seems to be the general attitude. President Dilma Rousseff’s election campaign culminates in October, and the success or failure of the Selecao is deemed to have an overwhelming bearing on her success.

418377hp2.jpg

Tension | There are fears political unrest in Brazil could spill over during the World Cup

If Neymar lives up to expectations, the knock-on effect might be another term of ignorance towards the needs of the many, with bus fares remaining an ongoing issue. Last summer, the price was raised by 9% for the local services, leading to much public dismay.

By the time the rest of the supporters and journalists arrive, the cavalcade of street vendors and opportunists might fabricate a feeling of togetherness, but this is a country unsure of whether it is comfortable hosting this event or not.

Indeed, Brazilians that I’ve spoken to in the region prefer that Argentina, and Lionel Messi, are triumphant. Firstly, it would strike a blow to Rousseff’s regime, in a country where Romario is a congressman and Ronaldo, Il Fenomeno, is looking to become a politician. It would mean a government defined by an unequivocal failure on home soil is a government that is voted out at the end of the year.

Secondly, because commentator/celebrity Galvão Bueno has long held a grudge against Argentina, to comical levels. He has decreed that this World Cup will be his swansong on the microphone, and, for the dissenters, an Argentina victory over Brazil in the final, with Messi shining, would be the ultimate gesture to the establishment.

Away from the politics, there is a feeling that Felipao, Brazil’s coach, is too loyal to certain players, and that his 2002 victory in Korea-Japan was based purely on the talents of Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho.

Away from the politics, there is a feeling that Felipao, Brazil’s coach, is too loyal to certain players, and that his 2002 victory in Korea-Japan was based purely on the talents of Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho. Indeed, in their most recent friendly, the team was booed from the pitch on the way to an agricultural 1-0 victory over Serbia.

Oscar, Hulk, Neymar, Fred. There is little desire to change that front four and it has bred a belief that Scolari’s team are functional, not full of flair. Every previous World Cup victory has been blessed with genius; Pele, Garrincha, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Romario, Ronaldo. If Neymar doesn’t produce, this team struggles to get anywhere close to previous generations. They may win matches, but it will be with substance ahead of style.

Not all Brazilians are of this mindset, of course, and a considerable number will change allegiance as soon as Brazil’s first victory is on the board. Then, a groundswell of support will likely emerge, expressing their love for the country, the team, and the colours. The key is that the streets are not yet painted, banners remain inside. Is the tournament days way? In Rio, it’s not.

But these are the floating voters that the more politically-attuned are anxious about. Political merit and football accomplishment are inextricably linked. Selecao winning their sixth World Cup might leave cities like Rio de Janeiro worse off as a result.