• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ Serie A Season 2015-16 ★

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roma complete Dzeko transfer

12 August 2015 18:04

892289header.jpg

Edin Dzeko has completed his move from Manchester City to Roma, agreeing a season-long loan deal with a view to a permanent deal.

The Bosnia and Herzegovina international will move on a temporary basis until June with Roma paying an initial €4million for the loan.

Roma are required to pay a further €11m to make the move permanent.

Speculation had been rife that Dzeko - who made just 11 Premier League starts last season - was in line for a move to the Italian capital, with first-team opportunities at City set to be limited.

Both Manuel Pellegrini and Rudi Garcia had remained coy on the rumours linking Dzeko with a switch, but on Wednesday Roma confirmed they had finally got their man.

"I came here to win titles with Roma," Dzeko told the Serie A club's official website.

"Hopefully we will win many, many trophies but first we have to work hard on the pitch and at the end, hopefully we will get where we want to be.

"I can only promise one thing and that is that I will give my best for this club in every game."

Dzeko arrives shortly after Seydou Doumbia's disappointing spell in Rome came to an end with a return to former club CSKA Moscow.

Marchisio

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roma recruit Dzeko: I´ll always be a City fan

12 August 2015 23:58

i-expect-more-from-edin-dzeko-roberto-mancini-56051.jpg

Bosnia-Herzegovina international striker Edin Dzeko said he will always be a Manchester City fan after joining Serie A outfit Roma on a season-long loan deal.

Dzeko's long-awaited transfer to Roma was completed on Wednesday, with the Bosnian moving to the Italian capital on a temporary basis until June with a view to a permanent switch.

The 29-year-old, who found playing opportunities hard to come by last season having made just 11 Premier League starts, was a key member in City's two title-winning teams in 2011-12 and 2013-14.

And Dzeko thanked the club for their support since arriving from Wolfsburg in January 2011.

"After four-and-a-half years, filled with your chants for me and my love for you, the time has come to say goodbye," he said. "I have spent some of the best moments of my career at Manchester City, moments that I will never forget.

"Five trophies and many more wins over our biggest rivals, as well as the joy on your faces are all the things a person can never forget.

"Thanks you for everything. Thank you to all the people in the club who have always been there for me.

"I owe a special thank you to my team-mates and staff who have become like family to me in these years - which is precisely how I saw Manchester City - as one big family.

"And as you know, saying goodbye to close ones is always the hardest.

"Yes, it is time to say goodbye and face new challenges. I am moving forward to a new country, to another great club with amazing fans. But the time spent with you, as well as the happiness and love I have felt there will always stay with me.

"I will continue to be a big fan of Manchester City, to whom I wish all the best and many more trophies and happiness in the future."

Doumbia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Betis swoop for Vargas

12 August 2015 17:06

892260header.jpg

Peru international Juan Manuel Vargas has signed a two-year deal with Real Betis following his release from Fiorentina last season.

The 31-year-old struggled to break into the first team at Artemio Franchi in 2014-15 and was not offered a new deal following the expiration of his contract.

Vargas' lack of club football did not stop him playing a regular part in Peru's journey to the semi-finals of the Copa America - where they lost to eventual champions Chile.

His displays for Peru were enough to convince Liga new boys Betis to offer him a contract, and he is looking forward to the challenge.

"I am very happy with this new experience in my career," he told the club's official website. "I am very calm and excited to give everything.

"I just hope to do things right and try to do my best to help Betis as much as possible. I've always given my best in my long career in Italy and I want to do that at Betis."

ACMILAN

Alfrescian
Loyal

Milan clinch TIM Trophy after shoot-out with Sassuolo

13 August 2015 00:22

892467header.jpg

Antonio Nocerino was the hero as Milan secured the TIM Trophy with victory in a penalty shoot-out against hosts Sassuolo.

Milan got the competition underway with a 2-1 win over fierce rivals Inter, despite seeing Alex sent off late in the game for bringing down Mauro Icardi when through on goal.

Close-season signings Andrea Bertolacci and Carlos Bacca gave Sinisa Mihajlovic's men a lead, which came under threat when the impressive Marcelo Brozovic pulled one back for Inter, but it proved in vain.

With games only lasting 45 minutes, Sassuolo then made it back-to-back losses for Roberto Mancini's side when Gregoire Defrel tucked home the only goal of the game past Juan Pablo Carrizo.

That set up a showdown between Milan and Sassuolo to decide the winner, and it looked as though the hosts would emerge victorious courtesy of Duncan's goal until Nocerino's equaliser earned a 1-1 draw and took the game to penalties.

In the shoot-out, it was Nocerino who tucked away the decisive kick as Milan prevailed 4-3.

Milan get their Coppa Italia campaign underway against Perugia on Monday after Sassuolo have taken on Modena on Saturday.

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dnipro confirm departure of Fiorentina-bound Kalinic

13 August 2015 04:50

892523header.jpg

Nikola Kalinic will travel to Italy and sign a contract with Serie A outfit Fiorentina, Dnipro have confirmed.

Kalinic's agent, Tomislav Erceg, this week revealed the Croatia international striker's intention to leave the Ukrainian city of Dnipropetrovsk for Florence.

And the 27-year-old is now free to link up with Paolo Sousa's men after four years at Dnipro.

"Croatian striker Nikola Kalinic has said his goodbyes to the team, coaching staff and management of FC Dnipro," the club announced via their official website on Wednesday.

"Instead of travelling to Odessa for the fifth match of the Premier League campaign against Shakhtar [Donetsk], he will instead travel to Italy to sign a contract with Florence-based club Fiorentina."

Kalinic, who opened the scoring in Dnipro's 3-2 loss to Sevilla in 2014-15 UEFA Europa League final, scored 37 goals in 86 league appearances following his arrival from Blackburn Rovers in 2011.

He had already netted three goals in four Ukrainian Premier League matches this season.

RudiGarcia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dzeko wants to mirror City success at Roma

13 August 2015 13:03

892663header.jpg

Edin Dzeko has set his sights on repeating the success of his Manchester City stint after clinching a loan move to Roma.

The Bosnia-Herzegovina international has arrived at the Stadio Olimpico on a temporary deal worth €4million, but the Serie A could make the transfer permanent for a further €11m.

"I'm immediately happy to be here, the weather is nice," Dzeko said as he was presented on Thursday. "I've followed Roma because my friend Miralem Pjanic is here. It's a great club.

"I have a good relationship with Miralem. Both he and [director of football Walter] Sabbatini told me good things about being here - the climate, the city and the fans.

"Roma have big plans for the future and I hope to help the club reach them."

Dzeko collected two Premier League titles, an FA Cup, a League Cup and a Community Shield during his time at the Etihad Stadium and remains hungry for silverware.

"I have spent four wonderful years with Manchester City," he added. "They have grown a lot over the years. I hope to repeat the same path here.

"Working hard I hope to achieve the things I did in Manchester with Roma."

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Prandelli: Juventus no longer on another level

cesare-prandelli-parma_1v71pjnw5zqz913flwne1y61cq.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Aug 13, 2015 10:12:56

The ex-Galatasaray boss is eagerly anticipating the new season and expects a tight battle between a number of title candidates

Former Italy coach Cesare Prandelli believes Juventus could face a tough task to successfully defend their Serie A title this campaign.

The Turin giants have dominated the Italian top flight in recent seasons and are once more among the favourites to win the Scudetto in 2015-16.

However, Prandelli feels the loss of Andrea Pirlo, Carlos Tevez and Arturo Vidal in combination with their rivals' activity in the transfer market has left Massimiliano Allegri's men vulnerable.

"The first word that comes to mind when talking about the Scudetto is balance," Prandelli told Corriere dello Sport.

"Juventus will have to be very alert. Napoli have strengthened, Roma as well and both AC Milan and Inter have clear ideas about returning to the top and playing Champions League football.

"And then there are clubs like Lazio and Fiorentina who are not to be underestimated either.

"Juventus have lost three players of the highest level, but have replaced them with three players of the same level."

Last year's Champions League finalists started the 2015-16 campaign in fine fashion as they beat Lazio 2-0 in the Supercoppa Italiana.

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hamsik relishing new role at Napoli

marek-hamsik-napoli_1x4a27xe75qp31acz6sgxecptm.jpg

By SW Lim
Aug 15, 2015 20:21:59

The captain believes that playing further away from goal will bring out of the best of him, after a couple of erratic seasons under Rafael Benitez

Napoli playmaker Marek Hamsik is relishing the opportunity to play in a deeper midfield role under new coach Maurizio Sarri.

The Partenopei captain had struggled as an attacking midfielder in ex-boss Rafael Benitez's favoured 4-2-3-1 formation and made no secret of his delight at the Spaniard's departure for Real Madrid at the end of last season.

However, former Empoli trainer Sarri has given the 28-year-old a more withdrawn role in pre-season and the Slovakia international now believes that he is set for a successful 2015-16 campaign.

"My new position? I feel at ease in centre midfield and want to enjoy this role,” Hamsik told Sport Mediaset after Saturday's friendly victory over Serie B side Latina.

“It was the last match before the league begins and I’m happy that we’ve finished off our preparation with a win.

"I think we’re ready for our Serie A season to start against Sassuolo [on August 23] and I hope it’s a great match."

Napoli will be looking to improve on their fifth-placed finish last term, particularly after managing to retain the services of star striker Gonzalo Higuain, who had been tipped to leave the San Paolo this summer due to the failure to secure Champions League.

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Donadoni: AC Milan & Inter spending will make Serie A great again

roberto-donadoni-parma-head-coach-serie-a_1jywrth8xct4y1h8ie2ivatjij.jpg

By SW Lim
Aug 15, 2015 15:52:46

The 51-year-old is excited by the arrival of big names in Italy once again and insists the San Siro giants must return to challenging for silverware

Roberto Donadoni is convinced AC Milan and Inter's big spending this summer can help restore Serie A to its former glory, although he maintains both sides must show the results to justify their expenditure.

The pair of fallen giants have spent heavily in a bid to reinforce their squads and return to challenging Juventus for the Scudetto following a season of disappointment in which both failed to qualify for Europe.

And Donadoni believes that the arrivals of the likes of Geoffrey Kondogbia, Miranda, Stevan Jovetic, Luiz Adriano and Carlos Bacca in Italy has raised the awareness and profile of the league.

"Italian teams are spending big on the transfer market again,” he told Corriere dello Sport. “And while this may surprise some people, it's a good thing.

"I hope this can raise the quality, because buying players of a high level raises the average quality of the championship, which had gone down a little in recent times."

Nevertheless, the ex-Parma boss, whose side were relegated to Serie D after being declared bankrupt last season, has warned of the dangers of going overboard with spending.

"Some of the prices seemed excessive to me. Milan signing Alessio Romagnoli for €30m is one example. Inter changed a lot and their expectations have gone up alongside their expenses.

“Juventus have managed to sign players of a high level without spending disproportionate amounts of money."

Milan have benefitted from new Thai shareholder Bee Taechaubol's investment in the club this summer, while San Siro neighbours Inter are bankrolled by Indonesian businessman Erick Thohir.

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lippi: Genius Pogba is Juventus' natural leader

paul-pogba-juventus-lazio-supercoppa-italiana_1tlrbxlwlbaav1e1rrhho1vhai.jpg

By SW Lim
Aug 15, 2015 14:36:08

The former Bianconeri coach says the Frenchman is worthy of the No.10 shirt, and tips Roma and AC Milan as their main challengers for the Scudetto

Marcello Lippi has hailed Paul Pogba as a genius and expects him to show that he is Juventus' natural leader after he was assigned the club's iconic No.10 shirt.

The Serie A champions are preparing to defend their fourth consecutive Scudetto without the likes of Carlos Tevez, Andrea Pirlo and Arturo Vidal who left the club this summer, prompting the club to install Pogba as the new bearer of the coveted number.

And Lippi believes the Turin giants' faith in the 22-year-old will be rewarded, backing the starlet to come of age this season and realise his full potential despite growing interest from Europe's top sides.

"Pogba is a born leader, and he deserves the No.10," the former World Cup-winning boss told Tuttosport. "By choosing to stay at Juventus, he showed his character.

"Now he must confirm his leadership skills along with his genius, by dispensing with parts of his game that are needless, such as tricks that he does in some areas of the pitch."

Despite the summer exits of the Bianconeri's key players, Lippi does not expect their title credentials to have taken too much of a setback, although he acknolwedged the renewed threat coming from Roma and AC Milan.

"Juventus have a clear direction and have made the right signings so they are still the favourites," he continued. "They have been winning for four years so must be considered favourites.

"Paulo Dybala is a player who combines technical brilliance with fantasy, and will be a perfect player once he strengthens from a physical aspect.

"Still, Roma have substantially closed the gap with forwards like Edin Dzeko, Mohamed Salah to play alongside Francesco Totti and Juan Iturbe. Right behind Juve and Roma are Milan.

"Their team has been strengthened and they look more motivated under a coach like Sinisa Mihajlovic."

The new Serie A season kicks off on August 23, with Juventus beginning their title defence at home against Udinese.

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Norwich boss Neil confirms Destro interest

14 August 2015 12:16

893155header.jpg

Italy striker Mattia Destro is the subject of interest from Premier League newcomers Norwich City, Alex Neil has confirmed.

Roma man Destro spent the second half of last season on loan at Milan, scoring three goals in 15 Serie A appearances.

Destro has featured in Roma's pre-season friendlies, but could be in line for a switch to Carrow Road if manager Neil has his way.

When questioned on a possible swoop for the 24-year-old on Friday, Neil replied: "I didn't know you knew about that one. He's a player that has been discussed.

"There are ongoing negotiations with quite a few players, not just players but clubs and agent and different things like that.

"I have said before I won't just go and sign players, I will wait to the end if I have to.

"I need to sign players I think are going to add to the group and make us stronger and better. That is probably why it is taking so long."

Neil also stressed that he is in no rush to see the back of the likes of Gary Hooper and Ricky van Wolfswinkel, who have seen first-team opportunities limited since he arrived at the club.

"Gary came on at the weekend and I have to make sure my bench is balanced," he added. "If we are playing one up front then there is no point having three strikers on the bench.

"In that respect Ricky was unfortunate to find himself not involved. If something came up for him to maybe go out somewhere then of course we will have a look at it - if it suits him and the group as well."

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lyon land Roma´s Yanga-Mbiwa

14 August 2015 23:06

893496header.jpg

Lyon have completed the signing of Roma centre-back Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa in a deal that could eventually be worth €10million.

The France defender moves to the Stade de Gerland on a five-year deal, with Lyon paying €8million up front and a possible €2m in add-ons.

Yanga-Mbiwa, who started his career in Ligue 1 with Montpellier, only made his move to Roma permanent in January, having initially moved to the Italian capital on loan from Newcastle United in September 2014.

The 26-year-old made 28 Serie A appearances last term and joins a Lyon team that have added the likes of full-back Rafael and France winger Mathieu Valbuena to their ranks ahead of a season that will see them play in the UEFA Champions League.

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fiorentina sign Kalinic from Dnipro

15 August 2015 06:19

893626header.jpg

Fiorentina have confirmed the acquisition of Croatia international striker Nikola Kalinic.

Kalinic completed his move to Fiorentina on Friday, after Dnipro revealed the Croatian was bound for Florence to sign a contract two days earlier.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed by Fiorentina, but the 27-year-old is believed to have agreed to a four-year contract with the Serie A outfit.

"He's a good player, who will have to compete with the others," said coach Paolo Sousa following Fiorentina's 3-0 friendly win over Lucchese.

"He'll bring us something different, and I'm happy about that."

Kalinic, who opened the scoring in Dnipro's 3-2 loss to Sevilla in 2014-15 UEFA Europa League final, scored 37 goals in 86 league appearances for the Ukrainian club, following his arrival from Blackburn Rovers in 2011.

He had already netted three goals in four Ukrainian Premier League matches this season.

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roma coach Garcia wants three more signings

15 August 2015 06:44

893629header.jpg

Rudi Garcia is hoping to add three defenders to Roma's squad following the departure of Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and amid reports of Ashley Cole's premature departure.

Yanga-Mbiwa returned to his homeland of France on Friday after Lyon signed the central defender on a five-year deal, while full-back Cole had his Roma contract terminated with a year remaining according to the Guardian.

Roma have already recruited Edin Dzeko, Mohamed Salah and Wojciech Szczesny on loan deals but Garcia wants defensive reinforcements after watching Roma concede four goals in a 6-4 friendly win over Sevilla.

"There's work to be done, I'm waiting for two central defenders since Yanga-Mbiwa has left," the Frenchman told Roma TV.

"Then we need a full-back, although [Vasilis] Torosidis had a great game. It was a great evening for the fans, but from the coach's point of view it's never good to concede four goals.

"Now we have eight days to prepare for Verona, so we're ready to go for the start of the season. The team's play makes chances, and individual quality makes the difference.

"The attack and midfield are fine, but I don't have much time to work on the defence as the new buys are arriving late.

"That’s OK though, we did it last year with [Kostas] Manolas and [Jose] Holebas, we'll do it again this year."

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini confirms Kovacic exit

17 August 2015 03:51

894633header.jpg

Inter midfielder Mateo Kovacic is set to join Real Madrid, the Serie A club's coach Roberto Mancini confirmed.

The Croatia international, 21, appears certain to make a €35million move to the La Liga giants in the coming days.

Mancini confirmed as much on Sunday and said financial fair play rules were the reason for both the exits of Kovacic and Xherdan Shaqiri, who left for Stoke City.

Asked about Kovacic's reported move to Real, Mancini said: "There are rules that have to be respected. I don't think anyone wanted this to happen but we have the financial fair play regulations to follow.

"We're all sorry about it: myself, the president, the management and the players themselves.

"He and Shaqiri both left for the same reason, but now we'll try to bring in the sort of players we need and hopefully we'll be able to do it quickly because the league starts next week.

"We'll see what we can do in the transfer market."

Doumbia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini still wants title challenge

17 August 2015 04:18

894641header.jpg

Inter coach Roberto Mancini remains hopeful of building a side capable of a Serie A title challenge despite another poor friendly result on Sunday.

Mancini's side were held to a 0-0 draw by AEK Athens, extending their winless run to five matches ahead of their league opener against Atalanta.

The 50-year-old Italian, who confirmed the departure of midfielder Mateo Kovacic, was upbeat despite seeing his team fail to win again.

Mancini said there were positives to take from the draw and still feels Inter can be a title threat in 2015-16.

"We can't expect much to change in three days," he said.

"We were a bit brighter in the second half than in the first. We kept a clean sheet and that's important. We had our chances too.

"We need a bit more speed to our play but it will take a bit of time.

"We'll try to put together a side capable of challenging in the league."

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Medel: Inter can fight for Scudetto

18 August 2015 05:48

895157header.jpg

Gary Medel believes Inter can return to the glory days by winning the Scudetto in 2015-16, though the tenacious midfielder would be happy with a UEFA Champions League berth.

Inter have watched from afar as Juventus have dominated Serie A, failing to finish better than fifth in the past four seasons after struggling to eighth last term.

The Milan club ended the campaign 32 points adrift of Juve but Chile international Medel feels Inter can win their first league title since 2009-10 following the arrivals of Geoffrey Kondogbia, Miranda, Jeison Murillo and Stevan Jovetic.

"I hope it will be a great year," Medel told Inter Channel.

"Great players have come in, top players, and we hope we can finish in the top three in the league. The team is very strong, and we can fight for the title.

"If we don't manage that, the aim is to get into the top three and get back into the Champions League."

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nasri not joining Inter - agent

18 August 2015 06:08

895158header.jpg

Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri will not be moving to Inter, according to his agent Jean-Pierre Bernes.

Nasri struggled for regular game time at City last season and he has emerged as a transfer target for former manager Roberto Mancini and Inter, who are set to sell Mateo Kovacic.

Mancini brought out the best in Nasri during City's Premier League-winning campaign in 2011-12, but the 28-year-old France international has no plans for a reunion.

"I've heard rumours in Italy about Inter and Samir," Bernes told FCInterNews. "However, there's absolutely nothing concrete with the Nerazzurri.

"Will he stay in Manchester? I can say that there's nothing with Inter."

Nasri has been named among the substitutes for City's opening two league victories this season, coming off the bench in matches against West Brom and Chelsea.

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lavezzi agent denies Inter rumours

19 August 2015 12:17

895732header.jpg

Inter have not made a move for Paris Saint-Germain forward Ezequiel Lavezzi, according to the player's agent.

The Argentina international scored eight league goals for the French champions last season, but only 19 of his 31 Ligue 1 appearances were as part of the starting XI.

Lavezzi is rumoured to be interested in a return to Serie A, where he used to play for Napoli, and reports in Italy suggested Inter are interested in striking a deal.

However, the 30-year-old's representative - Alejandro Mazzoni - said he is unaware of any interest from San Siro.

"I don't know anything of Inter asking [about] or looking at Lavezzi," he told FCInternews.it.

"I haven't read what the Italian tabloids wrote in the last few days. I'll say this again, I know nothing of Lavezzi going to Inter."

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

New-look Juve out to maintain Serie A dominance

19 August 2015 14:35

895805header.jpg

The Juventus side that starts against Udinese on Sunday will be markedly different to recent seasons as the champions go in search of a fifth successive Serie A title.

Massimiliano Allegri's men were unable to add European success to recent their domestic dominance when they were beaten by Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League final in May and there have been wholesale changes at the Turin club since then.

Alongside established Serie A prospects such as Roberto Pereyra and Paulo Dybala, Allegri has brought in Mario Mandzukic and Sami Khedira while also fending off interest in Paul Pogba - for the time being at least.

Allegri has lost Andrea Pirlo, Carlos Tevez and Arturo Vidal, so the new faces will be under pressure to fill the void left by such a key trio.

Tevez - who completed an emotional return to Boca Juniors in the close-season - weighed in with more Serie A goals for Juve than any other player between 2011 and 2015, despite only arriving in 2013.

With 39 strikes, his occasional absences were felt by Allegri, whose side won only 60 per cent of games without him compared to 80.3 per cent when he was in the side.

While Vidal did not have the best of seasons last term prior to joining Bayern Munich, the Chile international chipped in with 20 assists over the last four seasons - trailing only Pirlo.

The veteran midfielder added 31 of his own in that time although, at 36, his exit is perhaps the most understandable of Juve's summer exodus.

New York City supporters will now get to enjoy his sublime range of passing first hand as Allegri's focus will turn to moulding new recruits into a unit that can carry on the work of previous years.

Mandzukic's physical presence and eye for goal could have a big say in whether the Scudetto stays at the Juventus Stadium.

"Mandzukic has scored everywhere he has played," Allegri said after the Croatia striker's arrival and the Juve boss will hope that trend continues - having registered 114 league goals during spells with Wolfsburg, Bayern and Atletico Madrid.

The burly frontman is sure to ruffle some opposition feathers and it will be up to the likes of Dybala and Simone Zaza - as well as Alvaro Morata - to play off the 29-year-old.

Zaza scored 20 times in two seasons for Sassuolo - including twice against Juve - to earn his move, while Dybala has also caught the eye during recent seasons with 16 goals and 10 assists for Palermo.

Allegri knows what he will get from Pereyra, having impressed on loan from Udinese last term, while Khedira will be entrusted with taking on Pirlo's mantle of dictating the tempo in midfield.

The Germany international is set to miss the opening stages of Juve's season with a thigh injury but should offer a calming presence in midfield, allowing a platform for the likes of Pogba to roam forward.

Such an en-masse turnover in personnel would usually prove a headache, but the arrival of younger replacements boasting such quality would suggest that Juve are again the team to beat.

A repeat of Juve's European adventure? That serves as the bigger challenge for Allegri's new-look side.