• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║║║║ Barclays Premier League Season 2012-13 ║║║║║

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brazil keeper Cesar hails QPR as he confirms sensational switch from Inter Milan

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 11:43 GMT, 29 August 2012 | UPDATED: 13:45 GMT, 29 August 2012

Inter Milan goalkeeper Julio Cesar has confirmed he will sign for QPR in what will be the most surprising signing of the summer.

Sportsmail revealed The Champions League and five-time Serie A winner was in London on Monday to discuss terms ahead of completing his move, and revealed his reasons for swapping the San Siro for Loftus Road.

Cesar has been forced down the pecking order at Inter after an alarming drop in form since the departure of Jose Mourinho. And after the arrival of Samir Handanovic from Udinese this summer he knows he simply will not play.

article-2195212-14B6C931000005DC-280_468x372.jpg

High times: Julio Cesar has confirmed his shock switch from Inter Milan to QPR

'I will leave Inter, I want to thank everyone for these seven wonderful years,' he told Rete Globo. 'I would like to be on the pitch before Inter-Roma to hug all the fans. That would be a nice gesture and I don't think the president will deny me that.'I choose to join QPR because I think will play more than at Inter and Premier League is watched worldwide.

He added: 'I am a bit surprised, but I am delighted to have been given the opportunity by QPR to come to London, learn English and play in the Premier League.
'It all started during my summer vacation, when Inter suggested that I reduce my salary. No player in my situation would have done that - I am not a hypocrite and I can talk openly about this.'It became a tough situation for both parties. I then spoke to my representative and I thought this was a good choice.'

Chairman Tony Fernandes believes the signing can help Mark Hughes lift the team away from near the foot of the table. Rangers lost 5-0 at home to Swansea on the opening day, took a point from Norwich — and travel to Manchester City next.

article-2195212-14B6ABD3000005DC-384_306x423.jpg

Samba style: The keeper is regarded as one Brazil's greatest ever

Cesar, 32, had two years left on his Inter contract and the news is being greeted with surprise in Brazil, where Cesar is regarded as one of their greatest keepers. He was voted the third best in the world in 2009 as well as Serie A keeper of the year in 2009 and 2010. He may not be fit to face City, though he is said to be eager to play.The Brazilian's arrival us a bitter blow to Rob Green who only moved to the club in the summer.

Hughes said: 'I haven't had a chance to really talk to him about it. Obviously, I was concerned with the preparation for the game, but certainly I will sit down with Rob and go through it. 'It is a challenge for everybody. What we're trying to do here is improve the quality of the group and that includes the goalkeeping position as well.

'I said I wanted to have two quality keepers this window if at all possible. Sometimes, when opportunities present themselves, you want to pursue them. 'When you get an opportunity to possibly bring a player of Julio Cesar's quality, with his playing record and his mentality, then I think you have to pursue it.

article-2195212-1499EAD1000005DC-5_468x338.jpg

On the way out already: Rob Green's future is in doubt after just a few weeks

'I think when we started the process we probably never thought there was an opportunity or chance he would be able to come here. If we are able to conclude it, we'll be delighted.' Hughes is also still in the market for a centre-back, with one of his targets, Ricardo Carvalho told he has no future at Real Madrid.

The Spanish side's manager Mourinho said of the former Chelsea man: 'Ricardo is not part of our plans for the season. It is up to him whether he wants to continue playing football or stay at Real Madrid and meet his contractual obligations and practically end his sporting career.

'A lot of teams are interested in Ricardo. He is a quality player and there is interest in him. There are various teams from different leagues who have shown an interest in him.'

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

178088_thumb.jpg

Defoe signs new Tottenham deal
England international signs three-year-deal to commit his future to Spurs after being linked with a move away from Andre Villas-Boas' side this summer

200252_thumb.jpg

Walcott will stay at Arsenal, insists Wenger
The England winger is yet to pen an extension to his current contract, which expires in under 12 months, but his manager will refuse to sell him before the window closes

197310_thumb.jpg

Tottenham defender Kaboul out for four months after knee surgery
The Spurs centre-back Tweeted that although Thursday's operation was a success, he is now set to miss a large portion of the season as he begins his recovery

64246_thumb.jpg

QPR agree fee with Real Madrid for Esteban Granero
The west Londoners have been granted permission by the Spanish giants to speak to their out-of-favour midfielder, with only personal terms and a medical left to be completed

195902_thumb.jpg

Tottenham & Porto still at odds over Moutinho fee
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is not giving up on signing the Portuguese midfielder who has been identified by manager Andre Villas-Boas as the ideal replacement for Luka Modric

204504_thumb.jpg

AC Milan yet to agree fee with Manchester City for Nigel de Jong
The Rossoneri have overtaken rivals Inter in the race to sign the Dutch midfielder but differences remain regarding the two clubs' valuation of the tough-tackling player

151616_thumb.jpg

Manchester City confident of completing swoop for Swansea starlet Sinclair
The former Chelsea forward's move to Etihad Stadium stalled earlier this week but the Premier League champions are confident of getting their man

199253_thumb.jpg

Tottenham turn attentions to Marseille star Remy to solve striker dilemma
After failing to tempt Shakhtar into selling Brazilian forward Willian, the north London outfit are ready to reignite their interest in the France international

191976_thumb.jpg

Bendtner emerges as most likely Juventus striking option following Berbatov rejection
The Turin giants are desperate to add some more firepower to their squad, and are ready to make a move for the Denmark international

206449_thumb.jpg

Julio Cesar aiming for Premier League title with QPR
The goalkeeper dreams of competing in the Champions League again with his new club and believes that it is possible for the Rs to eventually progress to the top of the table

206312_thumb.jpg

Liverpool offer players in part-exchange in fresh Dempsey talks
Talks are centring on the identity of the makeweights in a deal that is expected to be worth around £7 million, with Charlie Adam and a number of fringe players discussed

128535_thumb.jpg

Rodgers will allow Carroll Liverpool exit: We're not in a position to have £35m back-up players
The Northern Irishman has stated that the club is not in a position to retain "third-choice strikers" at such a cost but praised the forward's attitude despite his limited chances

203487_thumb.jpg

Rodgers: Liverpool unlikely to make further signings due to financial position
The Reds manager is not anticipating any late swoops ahead of Friday's deadline, and admitted it would take time to build the squad he wants after Kenny Dalglish's spending

205754_thumb.jpg

Sahin & Allen can ensure Lucas injury does not stunt Rodgers' Liverpool revolution
The Brazilian midfielder has been ruled out for up to three months after tearing a thigh muscle, but his absence may not prove as difficult to overcome this time round

185906_thumb.jpg

Rooney slams 'nonsense' Manchester United exit rumours
The England striker has dismissed speculation linking him with a potential move away from Old Trafford this summer following Robin van Persie's arrival at the club

206340_thumb.jpg

Berbatov will join Fulham, reveals Juventus director Marotta
The Italian club's chief executive has confirmed that the Manchester United striker rejected his side's advances whilst Fiorentina have reacted angrily to news of the snub

206101_thumb.jpg

Dembele delighted with move to 'fantastic' Spurs
The Belgian midfielder has spoken of his happiness after he moved to White Hart Lane from fellow Premier League club Fulham following Luka Modric's transfer to Real Madrid

166099_thumb.jpg

M'Bia claims QPR move is nearly complete following months of speculation
The Cameroon international has confirmed that he is close to leaving Marseille for Loftus Road, after a summer of uncertainty surrounding his future at the club

196019_thumb.jpg

Official: Julio Cesar joins QPR on four-year deal
The Brazilian has completed his switch to Loftus Road from Inter, leaving fellow shot-stopper Rob Green's future at the club in doubt despite just joining this summer

139130_thumb.jpg

Tottenham decision rests with Lloris, say Deschamps and Lyon president Aulas
Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas and France manager Didier Deschamps have confirmed that Hugo Lloris is in advanced discussions with Tottenham over a move to White Hart Lane

186122_thumb.jpg

Barton: I must leave QPR and want to join Marseille
The midfielder admits he has no option but to leave the west London side after being frozen out by manager Mark Hughes and remains hopeful of joining Marseille on loan

192510_thumb.jpg

Ashley Cole: I wish Gerrard had signed for Chelsea
The veteran Blues defender admitted during a Q&A session on Twitter that he wishes he had got the chance to play alongside his England team-mate at Stamford Bridge

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

147752_thumb.jpg

Derek Boateng move to Fulham in doubt
Martin Jol's team had agreed a deal to bring the 29-year-old to Craven Cottage but the Ghana international has indicated that talks have broken down on his Twitter account

206325_thumb.jpg

Lyon president Aulas: Tottenham talks over Lloris my hardest in 25 years
The French side's president bemoaned the prolonged talks with Spurs, claiming their chairman has gone back on his word and revealing the player is undecided on the move

206145_thumb.jpg

Manchester City agree £18m fee for Javi Garcia
The champions will pay Benfica £15.5m up front and an additional £2.5m in add-ons, with Etihad Stadium officials unwilling to meet the Portuguese club's £24m release clause

125561_thumb.jpg

Juventus pipped Siena to Bendtner signature, says Antonelli
The Danish international was close to moving to Stadio Artemi Franchi before the Serie A Champions made their late move for the striker on Friday

206340_thumb.jpg

Official: Berbatov joins Fulham from Manchester United
The Bulgarian striker has signed a two-year deal at Craven Cottage to ensure Martin Jol's side complete one of the biggest signings of transfer deadline day

163393_thumb.jpg

Manchester City sign Inter defender Maicon
The Premier League champions have completed a move for the Brazil full-back and have also confirmed that goalkeeper Richard Wright has finalised a switch to the Etihad Stadium

204819_thumb.jpg

Torres: Being Chelsea's first-choice striker has boosted my confidence
The £50 million signing from Liverpool endured a difficult start to his Stamford Bridge career but is now finding his form again this season alongside a number of new arrivals

168733_thumb.jpg

Van der Vaart completes Hamburg move from Tottenham
The Netherlands international has sealed a deal to return to his former club in the Bundesliga, bringing to an end his two seasons in the Premier League at White Hart Lane

136160_thumb.jpg

Liverpool may have signed 'the next Drogba' in Leverkusen starlet Samed Yesil
The Reds snapped up the promising 18-year-old from Bayer Leverkusen earlier this week and he could turn out to be the summer's greatest transfer coup at just £1 million

203824_thumb.jpg

Fulham target Bastos 'still in talks with two Premier League clubs' - agent
The Brazilian has been linked with a permanent switch to Fulham from Lyon but his representative has revealed he could still sign for another English club, believed to be Liverpool

194453_thumb.jpg

Tottenham agree €15 million Lloris fee with Lyon
The France international will complete a medical with Spurs on Friday afternoon after having already agreed personal terms with the north London club

204504_thumb.jpg

I don't see what this move would bring to Nigel de Jong - Peter Staunton reacts to AC Milan's latest signing
With the Netherlands international signing for the Serie A giants, our expert provides his insight on how the 27-year-old will fare in Italy

205973_thumb.jpg

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson blasts FA for revealing Young injury
The Manchester United manager is furious with the FA for revealing that the England winger is injured after being left out of Roy Hodgson’s squad for the World Cup qualifiers

206847_thumb.jpg

Tottenham agree €27million club record Moutinho fee with Porto
The Portugal international has been identified as the preferred replacement for Luka Modric and will pave the way for Rafael van der Vaart to complete a return to Hamburg

195824_thumb.jpg

Manchester United loan out two youngsters to Royal Antwerp
Red Devils youth team duo Luke Giverin and Gyliano van Velzen have been farmed out on year-and-a-half loan deals to the Belgian second division outfit

184675_thumb.jpg

Celta Vigo sign Arsenal striker Park Chu-Young on season-long loan
The Gunners forward has sealed a move away from the north London club having found first team opportunities difficult to come by during his debut season in the Premier League

205973_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson urges caution ahead of Manchester United's Champions League campaign
The Red Devils have been handed a favourable group stage draw but, having gone out at this round last term, the boss has warned his players of the threat the competition can hold

203083_thumb.jpg

Manchester City sign Sinclair from Swansea City
The former Chelsea winger has expressed his relief at finally sealing a move to the Premier League champions following a summer-long chase from Roberto Mancini

206338_thumb.jpg

Tottenham make last-ditch attempt to hijack Berbatov Fulham move
The Cottagers remain favourites to sign the Manchester United man despite Spurs entering talks with the Bulgarian's representatives

204504_thumb.jpg

AC Milan sign De Jong from Manchester City
The Dutch enforcer has sealed his switch to the San Siro on deadline day, and is looking forward to getting starting with the Rossoneri after a frustrating time at the Etihad

178108_thumb.jpg

Liverpool prepare counter Dempsey offer as three players undergo Fulham medicals
The Reds are lining up a new bid for the American, with Aston Villa also believed to have had a bid accepted, while a trio of senior stars are close to joining Martin Jol's side

138704_thumb.jpg

Liverpool make loan offer for Chelsea striker Sturridge
The Reds are understood to have made an approach for the England forward on Thursday night as the manager looks to bolster his attacking options following Andy Carroll's departure

206733_thumb.jpg

Rodgers eyeing deadline-day arrivals at Liverpool
Reds boss hints that Andy Carroll's departure gives him the chance to sign more players while praising his side's effort after reaching the Europa League group stages

182462_thumb.jpg

Newcastle could return to transfer market after Ryan Taylor injury, reveals Pardew
The Magpies' boss has admitted that he may have to sign a replacement for the full-back after the former Wigan man suffered an injury in their win over Atromitos

206652_thumb.jpg

Official: Granero joins QPR on four-year deal
The Real Madrid academy graduate has struggled for regular action at the Bernabeu and will move to Loftus Road, becoming the ninth player signed by Mark Hughes this summer

197447_thumb.jpg

Liverpool sign Leverkusen starlet Yesil
The 18-year-old striker passed a medical on Thursday and will join the Reds' youth ranks after racking up an impressive record at Under-17 level for Germany

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson blasts FA for revealing Young injury

The Manchester United manager is furious with the FA for revealing that the England winger is injured after being left out of Roy Hodgson’s squad for the World Cup qualifiers

Aug 31, 2012 1:18:00 PM

By Tom Bradley

205973hp2.jpg

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is furious with the FA for revealing an injury to winger Ashley Young.

The 27-year-old was left out of Roy Hodgson's England squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and Ukraine in September after suffering a knee injury, and Sir Alex has taken a swipe at the FA for revealing that the England international was injured.

"It was nice of the FA to let everyone know Ashley Young was injured," Ferguson told reporters.

"There's no point in me giving any information.

"He's out, he got a knee injury last week but it's not serious and he'll be ready for a couple of weeks' time."

The winger has played a part in both of United's Premier League games this season, but didn't have the best of years for the club last term, starting well but fading as the season progressed, and also had an uninspiring Euro 2012, missing a penalty in the shootout against Italy in the quarter-finals.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Three-horse race for Dempsey as Spurs join Liverpool and Villa in chase for Fulham star

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 08:41 GMT, 31 August 2012 | UPDATED: 16:50 GMT, 31 August 2012

Tottenham have joined Liverpool and Aston Villa in the race to sign Fulham forward Clint Dempsey.

The American has been linked with Liverpool for most of the summer and has been left out of the Cottagers' opening games of the season since declaring his intention to leave.Villa leapt to the front of the queue on Friday morning when a £7million bid was accepted by the west London side.

article-2196222-14973DBA000005DC-184_468x394.jpg

Where to now? Aston Villa have entered the race for Clint Dempsey

But Spurs, who are also discussing terms with Portuguese midfielder Joao Moutinho, made their move with hours left until the transfer window slams shut.Anfield remains Dempsey's most likely destination with Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers reportedly telling fans he was 'hopeful' a deal could be done.

Sunderland are also keen on the 29-year-old but Anfield looked the most likely destination with Dempsey keen on a move to Merseyside.Villa boss Paul Lambert is looking for reinforcements to take some of the burden off striker Darren Bent.The deal was agreed on Thursday night and is cash only - with no add ons and no other players involved.

Fulham reported Liverpool to the Premier League last week claiming Dempsey had been tapped up and Craven Cottage boss Martin Jol criticised the player for not keeping quiet about his wish to move on.Fulham’s complaint was placed before the August meeting of the Premier League board and Liverpool have been asked for their observations.

The board will decide whether to take the complaint further. It could eventually go before an independent panel, who could impose fines or even suspended point sanctions on the Merseyside club.Liverpool, however, are more likely to face a four-figure fine if Fulham’s complaint is upheld. The matter would be dropped if the clubs agree a fee for Dempsey, who was Fulham’s top scorer last season.

article-2196222-14B083D7000005DC-730_468x310.jpg

In the market: Manager Paul Lambert wants Dempsey at Aston Villa

Meanwhile, Lambert received a boost as a £1m deal for 21-year-old Chesterfield striker Jordan Bowery is done.Bowery will move for an initial £400,000 with the rest due on appearances.

Lambert said: 'Potentially he is very good and I've got no worries about throwing him in, none whatsoever.'It (the signing) might have surprised a few people but it is a great opportunity for him.'He is one for the future, but if he steps up to the plate I have no fear about playing him.'Charlton midfielder Dale Stephens is another player Lambert is keen on signing.He said: 'I've not heard anything back from that one. That is in Charlton's court at the moment.'

article-2196222-14998C3D000005DC-123_468x460.jpg

Target: Dale Stephens (right) has caught the eye of Villa boss Lambert

Hopes of signing Belgium international striker Christian Benteke appear to be fading after an improved offer of around £6m was also turned down by Genk.Genk are reported to want at least double that amount and Lambert admitted Villa would not match those sort of financial demands.He said: 'The situation hasn't changed from the last few days. It is where it is at the minute. Would Villa pay £15 million? No.'

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

De Jong waves farewell to City as Dutchman joins Italian giants AC Milan

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 07:47 GMT, 31 August 2012 | UPDATED: 14:20 GMT, 31 August 2012

Nigel de Jong looks set to be the biggest name using the revolving door at Manchester City after the combative midfielder completed his move to Serie A side AC Milan.

The departure of De Jong is not a surprise. The 27-year-old Holland international is in the final year of his contract and has been linked with other clubs throughout the summer.

Mancini said: 'I am sorry because Nigel was an important player for us but if he is happy, I am happy for him.

'I am sure he will do really well in the Italian championship.'

article-2196210-14C50253000005DC-638_468x227.jpg

Welcome: Milan posted this picture of De Jong with Adriano Galliani

De Jong admitted he can't wait to test himself against Inter Milan - a club who were keen to sign him.He said: ‘Milan will be competitive — both in Italy and in Europe. It is a fascinating club with a great history.

'After having experienced the Manchester derby, I will now get to experience the Milan derby.’De Jong posted on Twitter: 'Thanks 2 @MCFC for giving me the opportunity 2 be part of their history 4 years ago. All the best 2 my former teammates and all the people. In and around the city grounds helped me and my family settled in

'Special mention 2 the fans for their love, respect and dedication they always showed. U will never be forgotten. All the best. Bless.'

On Thursday night he arrived in Milan to have dinner with the CEO Adriano Galliani and coach Massimiliano Allegri before sealing his switch.

'De Jong is on his way to Milan,' said the official Milan TV channel on Thursday night.

'The medical will be performed tomorrow [Friday].'

The switch ends the Dutchman's three-year stint at City and comes at a time when they are gearing up for a mouth-watering Champions League encounter with Real Madrid following Thursday's group stage draw.

article-0-14B461F7000005DC-428_468x324.jpg

Italian job: De Jong played his last game for City at Anfield before moving on to the San Siro

Their meeting with the Spanish giants in the Bernabeu on September 18 will represent one of the biggest European nights in their entire history, while the arrival of Cristiano Ronaldo and company at the Etihad Stadium on November 21 is a guaranteed sell-out.

More pertinently, City, who entertain Swansea on Saturday evening, have also been linked with big-money deals for Theo Walcott and Maicon, although the England winger looks set to stay at Arsenal.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fulham fight off late bid from Spurs to land Berbatov in £5m deal from Man United

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 08:49 GMT, 31 August 2012 | UPDATED: 14:45 GMT, 31 August 2012

Dimitar Berbatov has completed his £5million move to Fulham, putting pen to paper on a two-year deal at Craven Cottage.Sir Alex Ferguson had cast doubt on Berbatov's destination by suggesting on Friday morning that the frontman could be bound for former club Tottenham instead. But the 31-year-old Bulgarian striker was unveiled as the Cottagers' latest summer signing on Friday afternoon and revives a partnership with manager Martin Jol after their successful past stint together at Tottenham. In two seasons at White Hart Lane he made 102 appearances and scored 46 goals in all competitions.

article-2196228-14C546BE000005DC-367_634x425.jpg

Signing of the summer? Dimitar Berbatov says he is excited about his future after joining Fulham

Berbatov said at Fulham’s Motspur Park Training Ground: 'I’m delighted to have signed for Fulham and I look forward to playing under Martin Jol once again.

'As soon as I was aware of Fulham’s interest my decision to join was an easy one to make. I’m impressed with the set up here and the people have made me feel welcome. There is a close and personal feel around the club and I can’t wait to get started.'Jol added: 'Dimitar is a player I’ve always admired. He did well for me at Spurs and I’m sure that he will do well here at Fulham. He’s a player of great quality and technical ability who will give me the attacking option I’ve been looking for.

'When he’s not scoring goals, his ingenuity often leads chances being created for his team-mates and I’m delighted that we’ve been able to convince him to come to us, as there was a lot of attention from other clubs.'

Berbatov joined Manchester United on transfer deadline day in 2008 for a whopping £30.75m but fell out of favour with Ferguson last season.

The United manager admitted at his weekly press conference on Friday morning that he had no idea where the wantaway player was.Ferguson said: 'Dimitar was always going to be going. I said last year he'd be leaving at the end of the season. He's not gone yet, though. I don't know anything about it.

article-2196228-0E88045700000578-307_634x452.jpg

Rare start: Berbatov celebrates a goal at Aldershot in the League Cup last season, one of nine he scored last year

article-2196228-0C34893A00000578-981_634x465.jpg

Forgotten man: Berbatov featured only intermittently for Manchester United last season

'There has not been any contact from him. We thought he was in Italy, but it turned out he isn't. He could be anywhere. I really mean that.

'I wouldn't be surprised if he's at Tottenham. There are rumours going around. I do not think it's settled at Fulham, put it that way.'Jol had hailed the signing as the 'biggest in the club's history' as the Bulgarian had rejected offers from Juventus and Fiorentina to work under his former Tottenham boss.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tottenham complete audacious £6m swoop for Dempsey

USA international has signed a three-year contract at the White Hart Lane club after rejecting a move to Aston Villa

Aug 31, 2012 9:52:00 PM

200314hp2.jpg

Tottenham have completed the £6 million signing of Fulham forward Clint Dempsey on a three-year deal.

The 29-year-old arrived at the club's Spurs Lodge training ground on Friday night to finalise terms with the north London club.

Dempsey, who rejected a move to Aston Villa on Friday, has made clear his intention to leave Craven Cottage this summer, prompting Fulham boss Martin Jol to force him into training on his own for much of pre-season.

Liverpool have made their interest in Dempsey public and have been locked in negotiations with Cottagers officials over the west Londoners' asking price for the midfielder, as exclusively revealed by Goalcom.

Fulham accepted a bid of £5 million plus £2m add-ons from Villa on Thursday night but the Anfield outfit have been unwilling to match their terms due to the player's low re-sale value.

The USA international has antagonised the Cottagers with his behaviour since returning to pre-season and owner Mohamed Al-Fayed is refusing to grant him a simple passage out of Craven Cottage.

Dempsey has made it clear that his preference is to quit Craven Cottage for Liverpool, whose manager Brendan Rodgers has admitted that he has made enquiries about signing the player.

As revealed by Goal.com earlier this month, Dempsey has been training on his own after making it clear he does not want to play for the Londoners again while waiting for a move to Liverpool to materialise.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brendan Rodgers in despair as Liverpool’s owners refuse to sanction a £7 million deal for Clint Dempsey

Liverpool failed to fill the void left by Andy Carroll’s departure because the club’s owners refused to sanction a £7 million deal for the former Fulham player Clint Dempsey.

brendan-rodgers_2325848b.jpg

Hard talk: Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers could not talk the Liverpool owners into paying out £7m for Clint Dempsey Photo: REUTERS

By Chris Bascombe

12:36AM BST 01 Sep 2012

Brendan Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, spent transfer deadline day trying to convince his hierarchy of the need to secure the American international.

Fenway Sports Group were unwilling to meet the price – understood to be £1 million above that quoted to other clubs – and now Rodgers faces the improbable task of leading Liverpool back into the Champions League with Luis Suárez as the only experienced striker at the club.

As the clock ticked before the closure of the transfer window, it emerged that Rodgers was not just frantically negotiating with Dempsey’s club Fulham, but also his own board as he argued his case on the merits of signing the 29-year-old.

Dempsey had earlier rejected the chance to join Aston Villa, desperate for Liverpool to re-open negotiations, before finally holding talks with Spurs. On another difficult day in the tumultuous recent history of the Merseyside club, it became apparent that one of the main stumbling blocks to a deal was FSG’s new, restrained transfer policy and determination to enforce more prudent financial management.

Despite slashing the wage bill by millions, including offloading Carroll on the presumption it would free funds for a replacement, Rodgers was informed the fee for Dempsey was too high and that he could offer only up to £5  million. FSG were reluctant to spend significant money on a player in his late 20s entering the final year of his contract.

They have stated previously they would rather invest in young talent than those who will have no sell on value at the end of their contracts, and they are still reeling from the millions wasted by the previous management regime.

It seemed inconceivable as the deadline approached, having allowed Carroll to join West Ham on loan, that Rodgers would be left with only Suárez as a senior striker, but that is the hand he has now been dealt until January. Should Suárez suffer an injury in the next few months, Rodgers will have only Fabio Borini — signed predominantly as a wide man – as a realistic alternative.

The transfer window has provided a thorough education for the latest Anfield incumbent on the financial reality gripping the club. He may feel it has little in common with the public pronouncements when he joined Liverpool.

Chairman Tom Werner suggested last season that Liverpool could match the top clubs in Europe. “I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football,” he said on April 12.

At Rodgers’s unveiling in June, a club statement went even further, suggesting the high spending of the previous management regime would not impact on the new coach’s transfer plans. It read: “The owners are always willing to provide funds where necessary to strengthen the squad.

“There will be no requirement to sell players this summer in order to fund new purchases.”

These claims do not seem to tally with Rodgers’s failure to get the green light to sign Dempsey, particularly given the number of senior players who have left since he was appointed, many of whom he was helpless to prevent departing. Numerous high-earning players have departed since the end of last season, including Dirk Kuyt, Craig Bellamy, Alberto Aquilani, Andy Carroll and Maxi Rodriguez.

Fabio Aurelio, Charlie Adam and Jay Spearing have also been moved on, equating to a conservative estimate of £20 million slashed in wages, and yet Rodgers still found himself pleading in vain for the funds to force through the Dempsey deal.

Liverpool also held talks with Chelsea for the loan signing of Daniel Sturridge, but the England international wanted to make the transfer permanent.

Rodgers possessed neither the funds nor the inclination to bid £15 million for his services and Sturridge was a substitute in Chelsea’s Super Cup defeat in Monaco.

The early part of the day at Anfield was spent offloading players. Adam moved to Stoke for £4 million, Spearing headed to Bolton for a season’s loan and youngsters Danny Wilson and Nathan Eccleston headed to Blackpool on loan. Dani Pacheco moved to Real Valladolid.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool hunt new managing director after disastrous deadline day

Club owners Fenway Sports Group are furious over the collapse of Clint Dempsey's proposed move to Anfield, and have deemed Ian Ayre responsible

Sep 1, 2012 1:00:00 PM

206980hp2.jpg

EXCLUSIVE
By Richard Buxton

Liverpool will restart their search for a new managing director next week following a disastrous transfer deadline day at the club, Goalcom can reveal.

Owners Fenway Sports Group have revived their plans after Ayre was deemed culpable for Brendan Rodgers being left with only two recognised strikers when the transfer window closed on Friday night after their pursuit of Clint Dempsey fell through.

Ayre was charged with negotiating with Fulham for the striker, who had made no secret of his desire to move to Anfield and was greatly admired by the club's American owners, but refused to match Tottenham Hotspur's £6 million valuation which saw him move across the capital.

Rodgers was assured prior to allowing Andy Carroll to join West Ham United on a season-long loan that a deal for a replacement attacker was in place but the move for Dempsey, as well as that for Chelsea hitman Daniel Sturridge, failed to materialise.

Goal.com understands that this latest setback is the final straw for Anfield chiefs and has validated the long-standing concerns of principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner, the club's senior figureheads about the Merseyside-born businessman.

The pair both harboured misgivings about appointing Ayre to oversee the day-to-day running of the club following Christian Purslow's departure in late 2010, but were won over by his work within their commercial department, which saw him promoted in March 2011.

However, his controversial quotes on plans for Liverpool to lead a breakaway from the Premier League's overseas television rights deal prompted strong disapproval from their peers and set in motion what soon became a season-long PR blunder last term.

At the height of Luis Suarez's race row, Ayre sanctioned the publishing of a forthright statement on Liverpool's official website in response to the striker being hit with an eight-game suspension for abusing Patrice Evra, which contained several inaccuracies and was widely criticised.

His refusal to intervene in the infamous t-shirt debacle which took place before Liverpool's visit to Wigan the following night continued to plant seeds of doubt in the minds of the owners, who forced him to join Suarez and then manager Kenny Dalglish in issuing a public apology after the Uruguay international refused to shake hands with Evra ahead of a 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford.

It is currently unclear whether Ayre will be allowed to return to his original role as commercial director at Anfield, where he has been succeeded by Billy Hogan, who arrived from subsidiary Fenway Sports Management at the end of May, despite helping successfully negotiate deals for Liverpool's array of new commercial partners this summer.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

207320_thumb.jpg

Worth his weight in goals: Majestic Van Persie makes flying start to his Manchester United career
The £24 million striker's three-goal romp against Southampton, after a moment of madness from the spot, proves a dependability and temperament that more than justifies his price

207299_thumb.jpg

Desperate Liverpool now have no choice but to bring back Michael Owen
The Reds' transfer-deadline-day woes were compounded by a disappointing 2-0 home defeat to an impressive Arsenal, sealing their worst start to a league season for 50 years

203154_thumb.jpg

Schneiderlin 'gutted' after last gasp defeat to Manchester United
The 22-year-old midfielder netted his first ever Premier League goal to give Nigel Adkins' men the lead before Robin van Persie completed a hat-trick to deny the Saints

204683_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas: Dawson will come good at Tottenham
The central defender came close to leaving Spurs during the summer transfer window but has been backed to fight his way into the north London side's first team

150624_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson: De Gea lost Manchester United place for Fulham error
The Red Devils boss revealed that the Spanish goalkeeper was supplanted by Anders Lindegaard for Sunday's victory over Southampton after a notable mistake against the Cottagers

182541_thumb.jpg

Adkins rues defensive lapses as Southampton fold to Manchester United comeback
The Saints boss was disappointed to get so close to a famous win over Sir Alex Ferguson's men only for some slack play at the back to cost his side in the closing stages

207320_thumb.jpg

'He will only get better' - Sir Alex Ferguson hails Van Persie after hat-trick sees off Southampton
The Scot, who celebrated his 1000th league game in charge of Manchester United, also pinpointed Paul Scholes' contribution off the bench in the comeback victory over the Saints

189372_thumb.jpg

Rodgers confident Liverpool will improve after Arsenal defeat
The Reds boss says his side’s 2-0 defeat to the Gunners had nothing to do with the style of play he has imposed but with individuals making poor decisions

207312_thumb.jpg

'I don't know what I was thinking' - Van Persie angry at penalty miss against Southampton
The striker hit a superb hat-trick to give Manchester United a hard-fought victory at St Mary's Stadium, but he was not satisfied after seeing a chipped second-half spot kick saved

138701_thumb.jpg

Wenger: Wilshere is a month away from Arsenal return
The Gunners midfielder has been out for over a year with an ankle problem and various setbacks, but his manager says he is not far from making a return to first team football

207037_thumb.jpg

Swansea defender Taylor out for rest of the season with broken ankle
The Welsh defender has undergone surgery after the injury which he picked up in innocuous circumstances in his club’s 2-2 home draw with Sunderland

202742_thumb.jpg

Wenger delighted to see new Arsenal signings Santi Cazorla & Podolski score
The Gunners boss was happy to see his new additions score their first goals while also praising the defensive effort of his side in the victory over the Reds

207249_thumb.jpg

We will achieve great things with Santi Cazorla and Podolski - Arsenal midfielder Diaby
The Frenchman feels the Gunners will be successful with the new signings in their side, while the German international reveals his delight with his first goal

207282_thumb.jpg

Marseille is the biggest challenge of my career, reveals new signing Joey Barton
The English midfielder was presented to the media on Sunday, and insisted that he is ready to give his all for his new club, but remains in the dark over his nine-match ban

151055_thumb.jpg

Rodgers not ruling out Liverpool move for Owen
The Kop boss has refused to deny that he might look to bring the former Manchester United striker back to the club he left in 2004 on a free with Jamie Redknapp endorsing the move

174020_thumb.jpg

Welbeck excited by Manchester United's attacking options
The England and Red Devils striker is excited by the addition of talent in forward areas at Old Trafford and says the competition will help to power the club to success

206165_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex confident Rooney and Van Persie will shine as front pairing
The Manchester United boss is adamant his new Dutch signing can be part of a successful duo, and has shrugged off speculation regarding the England striker's future

24428_thumb.jpg

Yossi Benayoun 'delighted' to be back at West Ham
The Israel captain finalised a move to the Hammers on deadline day "one minute" before the end of the window, and the 32-year-old is excited about his new team

202352_thumb.jpg

Joe Allen hails his mentor Rodgers
The Liverpool midfielder has admitted he has a very close relationship with manager Brendan Rogers, and has thrived under his guidance at Swansea and now Anfield

171345_thumb.jpg

Jonny Evans’ return gives Manchester United a defensive boost
The 24-year-old is back, reckons his injured team-mates are also healing well, and says the Red Devils have the squad depth and strength to compete for every competition

206325_thumb.jpg

Lloris deserves a club of 'higher standing' than Tottenham, claims Lizarazu
The former France international feels Spurs are "not a top European club", while the goalkeeper is eager to get his "great personal challenge" underway at White Hart Lane

139426_thumb.jpg

Lescott to be offered improved contract to stay at Manchester City
The England international has two years left on his present deal but will be offered improved terms in the New Year, despite the arrival of Matija Nastasic on deadline day

205698_thumb.jpg

Arsenal boss Wenger insists he is not ready for retirement
The 62-year-old says he is excited by the prospect of rebuilding his squad after the Gunners sold star duo Robin van Persie and Alex Song this summer

205973_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson still loving the job ahead of 1000th league game in charge of Manchester United
The Red Devils' visit to Southampton represents a special milestone for their manager, but the phenomenally successful 70-year-old insists it's just another match he wants to win

207090_thumb.jpg

Back from the brink: Tevez completes turnaround to become Manchester City’s main man
The in-form Argentine striker scored a late clincher as the Premier League champions battled to a 3-1 win over QPR at the Etihad Stadium

205463_thumb.jpg

Dembele debut delight can’t hide the flaws in AVB’s Tottenham masterplan
There are plenty of issues for Andre Villas-Boas to address as the Belgian's fantastic strike fails to disguise a disjointed performance from the north London side

207032_thumb.jpg

Swansea boss Laudrup: Everything went against us
The Danish manager says that he is happy with the character that his side showed after losing Neil Taylor to a broken ankle and Chico Flores to a red card and still earning a draw

192104_thumb.jpg

Redknapp: Tottenham will finish in the top four, no danger
The former Spurs boss is confident the club have what it takes to finish in the Champions League places again this season, despite starting their campaign poorly

160477_thumb.jpg

Giroud can replace Van Persie, insists former Arsenal star Pires
The ex-Gunner is backing all of the club's new attacking talent to succeed in the Premier League, and in particular feels that the signing from Montpellier can get among the goals

204053_thumb.jpg

Manchester City must be more clinical - Mancini
The Premier League champions laboured to a 3-1 win over QPR, with their manager insisting that they must make more of their goalscoring chances if they are to have a good campaign

146934_thumb.jpg

Norwich boss Hughton disappointed not to beat Tottenham
Robert Snodgrass struck late on for the Canaries to cancel out Moussa Dembele's opener and earn a 1-1 draw, but the 53-year-old felt they deserved all three points

192724_thumb.jpg

Adkins: Ramirez signing shows Southampton ambition
The Saints concluded one of the most surprising transfer deals of the summer by bringing the Uruguayan youngster to St Mary's, and their manager was delighted with the acquisition

155897_thumb.jpg

Manchester City captain Kompany: We'll come good
The Belgian defender is confident that his side will respond after an unconvincing 3-1 win over QPR, with the Premier League champions yet to record a clean sheet

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert hit back after spending over £20m on players without Premier League experience

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has launched a fierce defence of his recruitment policy after spending more than £20 million on players with just one Premier League appearance between them.

paul-lambert_2325667b.jpg

Tough talk: Aston Villa manager has defended his recruitment policy Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By John Percy

8:22PM BST 31 Aug 2012

Lambert was on Friday night poised to complete his summer business with a double swoop for Genk striker Christian Benteke and Crewe captain Ashley Westwood, adding to the arrivals of Ron Vlaar, Joe Bennett, Matthew Lowton, Jordan Bowery and Karim El Ahmadi.

Bennett is the only player to have played in the top flight – with just one appearance as a substitute for Middlesbrough as a 19 year-old – and Lambert’s determination to buy young talent from the lower leagues has increased fears that Villa are heading for a third relegation battle.

Lambert’s attempts to sign Fulham striker Clint Dempsey collapsed but the Scot, who operated a similar policy at former club Norwich, insists Villa’s kids will not be down among the dead men this season.

He said: “I have a great belief that the young lads can do it. I have no trepidation that they won’t do it, none whatsoever. I had exactly the same question last year and the Norwich lads surpassed everything. I don’t have any fears about them. I’m trying to give them the confidence to go and play and do as well as they can. Do I have any fears about being in a relegation battle? No. There is no pressure from Randy [Lerner, Villa’s chairman] to go and target young players, the decision is mine – every football decision is mine.”

Stoke City manager Tony Pulis sealed a £4 million deal for Liverpool midfielder Charlie Adam, while former Manchester United striker Michael Owen was still a possibility ahead of the deadline.

Adam will be given the chance to rebuild his career after being told he was surplus to requirements at Anfield by Brendan Rodgers. He said: “When a new manager comes in he wants to change the way he feels he wants to play, that’s the way it goes.

“I have a lot of respect for Liverpool and the people that brought me there, Kenny Dalglish and Damien Comolli. I owe them a lot.

“I respect Brendan Rodgers and what he does, he’s a top manager. Hopefully they do well but I’m looking forward to getting a Stoke shirt on.”

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kagawa stuns Manchester United with 'bleep test' performance

The Japan international has immediately shown up his new Old Trafford team-mates by notching the most impressive 'bleep test' time since David Beckham left in 2003

Sep 2, 2012 10:44:00 AM

By Alex Young

204492hp2.jpg

If Extra Time's school days are anything to go by, it must be very daunting to join a new club.

However, it seems Shinji Kagawa had no troubles settling in when he rocked up to Old Trafford after stunning Sir Alex Ferguson and the Manchester United backroom staff with an impressive ‘bleep test’ display during training.

The new signing, who joined from Borussia Dortmund for a reported fee of around £12 million in June, was able to take the test near to its highest level - which is the most impressive display by a United player since David Beckham left in 2003.

A ‘bleep test’ asks a player to run between a set distance before the allocated time gradually decreases, causing the participant to increase their speed.

Many wondered how United would replace the industry and work rate of Park Ji-Sung, who left to join QPR in a £2.5m deal in July, but it would appear the new midfielder has exactly what it takes to go the distance for his new side.

Kagawa has now been put on a programme to increase his strength and help his adaptation to the Premier League since his aerobic capabilities are, obviously, not in question.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool’s owners have left manager Brendan Rodgers in the lurch following transfer-deadline day debacle

By sanctioning the departure of Andy Carroll and then failing to come up with the money to sign Clint Dempsey on transfer-deadline day, Liverpool’s owners have left manager Brendan Rodgers in the lurch.

rodgers_2326896b.jpg

Testing times: Brendan Rodgers is enduring a difficult start as Liverpool manager Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Alan Hansen

6:00AM BST 03 Sep 2012

Rodgers has been badly let down by his bosses and, although I am a big fan of Michael Owen, the fact that the former Liverpool forward is now being considered as an option shows that the club are desperate for reinforcements.

Liverpool are desperate, but they only have themselves to blame because they got rid of a striker - a £35 million England international at that - and failed to replace him.

If that situation had not arisen, and Liverpool had been able to sign Dempsey from Fulham after loaning Carroll to West Ham, there is no way that Rodgers would now be considering going for a free agent like Owen.

The only reason it has become an option is because the club has done a bad job of its transfer business.

Similar suggestions that Didier Drogba might become an option due to uncertainty about his situation with the Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua also reflect badly on Liverpool’s owners.

If they decided against paying a transfer fee for Dempsey because he is 29, where is the sense in paying big money in wages for somebody like Drogba, who is 33?

If Drogba signs for two years and is paid £150,000 a week, that amounts to £15 million, so while you would take him in two seconds flat, it would not sit well the club’s philosophy under their American owners.

It is all very well having a philosophy, but one of the golden rules in football is that you don’t let somebody go until you have brought somebody else in.

Whether it was the right or wrong decision, Carroll was allowed to join West Ham last Thursday.

I would have kept him at Anfield because, after the injuries he suffered last season, he showed enough in the FA Cup final against Chelsea - and in the following midweek when he was unplayable against the same team - and against Sweden at Euro 2012, to suggest he was worth persevering with, if only because he offers variety and a different option.

But having let him go, Brendan Rodgers would have known that Dempsey wanted to move to Anfield, yet the owners let him down by not coming up with the money. I’m not sure it is something that can be put down to Brendan’s inexperience as a manager.

He has obviously believed that getting Carroll out would enable him to bring Dempsey in. Maybe he has taken somebody’s word and then been let down. Dempsey is not the out-and-out centre-forward that Carroll is, but he would have given another option and another body.

What do Liverpool have without either of them? They have Luis Suárez and Fabio Borini and, while Suárez will work all day long, he is no target man. Borini, on the other hand, has not shown anything in his three league games so far since arriving from Roma, so Liverpool are now really short of attacking options.

It is all very well looking at Dempsey and judging that he would offer no re-sale value in four years’ time as a 33 year-old, but Liverpool needed to speculate to accumulate in order to close the gap from eighth to fourth in order to challenge for the Champions League.

When Liverpool won the League Cup last season, the owners came out with a statement saying that the club could compete with anybody, but they look a long way from that. Brendan has got rid of a lot of players and made big cuts to the wage bill, but the team needs investment to qualify for the Champions League.

Letting Carroll go has left Liverpool without the ability to vary their tactics when the situation demands it. It seems that Rodgers hasn’t fancied Carroll as a player from the outset, but he is probably the best header of a ball in the Premier League and he would have brought goals had he stayed.

Liverpool are obviously changing the style of play under their new manager, but if your philosophy is pass-pass-pass, what happens when you are playing against teams like Arsenal who have better passers than you?

Liverpool have the players who can pass and press opponents but with Andy Carroll in the team they would have another option. But after three league games, Liverpool are in the bottom three having collected just one point from a possible nine.

It is not panic time yet, but with Sunderland away after the international break followed by Manchester United at home, one point from nine could quickly become two from 15.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Send for Owen! Rodgers risks Kop backlash by moving for former United striker

By DOMINIC KING PUBLISHED: 21:45 GMT, 2 September 2012 | UPDATED: 08:04 GMT, 3 September 2012

article-2197282-14CEB37F000005DC-113_233x423.jpg

Target: Liverpool could sign Owen

Brendan Rodgers will consider a move for Michael Owen after seeing his goal-shy side comprehensively beaten by Arsenal at Anfield.

The Liverpool manager admitted he would never have let Andy Carroll go to West Ham on loan had he known he would not be replaced. His team looked desperately short of firepower as goals from two of Arsene Wenger’s new signings, Lukas Podolski and Santi Cazorla, won the game for Arsenal.

Rodgers is so short of options up front that he is prepared to approach Owen to discuss a controversial return to Anfield, eight years after the striker left for Real Madrid.

He scored 158 goals in 297 appearances between 1997 and 2004 but his move to Manchester United in 2009 was badly received on The Kop.

Stoke have been pursuing Owen, who is a free agent after leaving Manchester United, and have offered him a two-year deal worth in the region of £1.5million a season.

Sunderland have also shown interest but Owen, 32, wants to stay in the North West and the chance to rejoin Liverpool may be impossible to resist.

article-2197282-14CDC738000005DC-855_468x373.jpg

Plenty to ponder: Rodgers wants to sign a free agent to strengthen his squad

Rodgers needs to bolster his ranks and, after seeing Tottenham hijack the signing of Clint Dempsey, he is considering drastic measures, though there is little chance of offering Didier Drogba a return from an unhappy spell in China.

Rodgers said: ‘Any player that I believe can improve the squad, I will look at. We have got a very small group here.

‘There were 19 players training on Saturday morning, with some very young players among them. I have to look at ways to change the group. We need a reinforcement, that’s obvious.’

Liverpool lost out to Tottenham after they offered only £3m for Dempsey on deadline day and Fulham are understood to be furious with how Liverpool conducted their attempts to sign the American.

article-2197282-14CD7DDF000005DC-843_468x324.jpg

Slow start: Liverpool have not won yet in the Premier League this season

It had appeared that off-loading Carroll, as well as Charlie Adam and Jay Spearing, would clear space for Dempsey and a possible loan move for Chelsea’s Daniel Sturridge - but the club’s American owners were reluctant to pay a fee for a 29-year-old.

When asked if he would have let Carroll go on loan to West Ham, knowing what he would be left with, Rodgers simply replied: ‘No.’ A clause in the deal that took Carroll to Upton Park could see him recalled to Anfield in January but, clearly, a tense situation has developed after Fenway Sports Group refused to back Rodgers’s judgment on Dempsey.

He has spoken to John W Henry and Tom Werner since the window closed and more talks will take place this week, though there is no suggestion Rodgers would quit as Liverpool manager after just four months.

‘It’s been a big learning curve for the owners,’ said Rodgers. ‘They have come in and invested over £100m in the club. They have made big changes for whatever reason and one of the most iconic figures in Liverpool’s history (Kenny Dalglish) has left the club.

‘They have made a commitment to have me here for the long term. There are one or two things that we have to iron out. But they have been very honest and I don’t feel they have misled me in any way.

article-2197282-14C93E69000005DC-210_468x333.jpg

Out on loan: Carroll impressed on his West Ham debut on Saturday

‘I have laid out my thoughts. We have had a couple of brief conversations about what might happen in January and we will reflect on that again next week.’

Unlike last season, when Arsenal won at Anfield in fortuitous circumstances, the visitors were comfortable winners on Sunday after goals either side of half-time from Podolski and Cazorla.

Wenger said: ‘Podolski is deadly when he gets a chance. When you have good spirit and good work-rate in the team, you always have possibilities. I am very pleased with the potential of this team. We have a good feeling.’

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea slayer Falcao keen on move to Premier League in January

By DAVID KENT PUBLISHED: 21:00 GMT, 2 September 2012 | UPDATED: 21:51 GMT, 2 September 2012

article-2197278-14C77B80000005DC-571_233x423.jpg

Premier ambition: Falcao

Falcao believes he will be a Barclays Premier League player come January.

The Atletico Madrid striker reports for international duty with Colombia this week fresh from scoring a hat-trick against Chelsea in his side’s 4-1 victory in the European Super Cup on Friday night.

Falcao has already spoken to his father, Radamel, and revealed that his preference is to play for Chelsea or Manchester City.

‘There are three teams interested - Manchester City, Chelsea and a Russian team,’ said Falcao senior.

‘Falcao has always wanted to play in the Premier League.

‘Ever since he was a boy he has loved Chelsea and has always thought it would be an honour to play for a big Premier League team.’

The Colombian newspapers are reporting that a pre-contract agreement has already been agreed with Chelsea and the player. ‘I don’t want to talk about any pre-agreements,’ added Radamel.

‘I spoke to Falcao very briefly yesterday. The minimum release clause in his contract with Atletico Madrid is about 55million Euros, but Falcao doesn’t want to talk figures.’

When asked about the chances of his son playing in the Premier League by the time the next transfer window closes, his father confirmed: ‘Yes, it’s very likely.’

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Marseille unveil their 'sweet and tender hooligan' as Barton starts new challenge in France

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 15:38 GMT, 2 September 2012 | UPDATED: 16:45 GMT, 2 September 2012

Joey Barton has begun his Marseille career after being unveiled by club chiefs ahead of the Ligue 1 clash with Stade Rennais.The QPR outcast was pictured with president Vincent Labrune and sports director Jose Anigo two days after completing his switch from Loftus Road.

Barton said that he has moved to the south of France to win silverware, he told L'Equipe: 'I come to Marseille to win trophies.

article-2197144-14CD3FA3000005DC-208_634x437.jpg

New boy in town: New Marseille midfielder Joey Barton shows off his new shirt

'I don't come for holidays or as a tourist. It is a challenge for me not only on professional level but also personally, discovering a new culture.

'Did I have other contacts? Yes, I talked to Fenerbahce and Valencia. But I didn't hesitate long when Marseille came, it was a good challenge for me.'

And the Marseille fans welcomed their new midfielder by unveiling a banner with the words 'Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan' which is a reference to a song by Barton's favorite band, The Smiths.

article-2197144-14CD5E0B000005DC-772_634x361.jpg

Welcome: The fans show off their Smiths inspired banner for Barton

The banner clearly pleased Barton who tweeted: 'I already love the fans of L'OM. The Smiths banner is impressive? Non?' After finalising a temporary move to the Ligue 1 leaders while Stephane Mbia has gone in the opposite direction in a permanent deal. 'I am now a player for L'OM. What a birthday present! Cannot wait to get going. #allezL'OM,' tweeted Barton earlier in the week, who turned 30 on Sunday.

article-2197144-14CD3BD0000005DC-573_634x428.jpg

All smiles: Barton is looking forward to his new challenge

'Would like to thank (agent) Willie Mckay, (Marseille sporting director) Jose Anigo and (chairman) Vincent Lebrune aka Mr President for making it happen. #allezmarseille 'I would also like to thank (QPR owner) @tonyfernandes and (chief executive) @Amit-Bhatia99 for making this possible. Good luck to everyone at QPR for this season.

'I am happy to be playing for such a massive European club like Marseille. Bonne nuit xx'.

article-2197144-14CD2D15000005DC-617_634x401.jpg

Life through a lens: Barton attracted a lot of interest from the French press

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

206870_thumb.jpg

Tottenham attempted to sign Berbatov at the last minute, admits agent
The 31-year-old was strongly linked with Juventus and Fiorentina before choosing to join Fulham, but his representative insists no promises to the Italian clubs were broken

207297_thumb.jpg

Barton calls on Dabo to move on from 'unfortunate' spat
The 30-year-old was involved in a training ground bust-up with his former Manchester City team-mate in 2007 but has now invited him to discuss the matter over dinner

166882_thumb.jpg

Mertesacker hails Arsenal belief after win over Liverpool
The Germany international defender helped the Gunners keep a third consecutive clean sheet as they ran out 2-0 victors against Brendan Rodgers' side at Anfield on Sunday

61094_thumb.jpg

Former Tottenham coach Joe Jordan: Andre Villas-Boas needs time
Spurs' former assistant coach believes the team have been unlucky in their opening fixtures and that the new boss and his summer signings require an adjustment periods

192625_thumb.jpg

Kolo Toure hopeful of completing Galatasaray move
The 31-year-old Ivorian centre-back has been pushed down the pecking order at Manchester City and following the arrival of Matija Nastasic is seeking a move to Turkey

177463_thumb.jpg

Dabo claims 'coward' Barton lied about pair's fight
The 35-year-old former France international pressed assault charges against his former team-mate back in 2007 and refutes his claim that he instigated the incident

177011_thumb.jpg

Liverpool owner John W. Henry defends summer activity in open letter to fans
While expressing disappointment at the Reds' inability to sign another attacker, the chief insists the club are making progress with an ambitious long-term plan for the club

177248_thumb.jpg

Fenerbahce in talks to sign Chelsea midfielder Meireles
The 29-year-old Portuguese international has been linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge all summer and could be set to switch to the Turkish giants

177922_thumb.jpg

'It doesn't matter' - Kompany disregards Manchester City's poor defensive start
The Belgium international captained his side to the title last season and conceded the fewest goals of any Premier League side, but this term they have shipped seven in four games

203504_thumb.jpg

Rodgers expected to replace Carroll before agreeing West Ham loan
After the Reds' bid for Clint Dempsey collapsed, the manager explained he would not have allowed the €44 million striker's move if he had known there would be no substitute

192625_thumb.jpg

Galatasaray interested in Manchester City defender Kolo Toure
The current Turkish champions have declared that they are looking to bring in the Ivory Coast international defender before the close of their own transfer window

135168_thumb.jpg

Dempsey was concerned over his future before Tottenham switch, admits Klinsmann
The attacking midfielder's deadline-day move has taken him to the former club of his national team boss where the ex-striker is still held in high regard after two separate stints

203971_thumb.jpg

New-look Gunners up & running but Giroud must fire if Arsenal are to be contenders not pretenders
Santi Cazorla and Lukas Podolski both got off the mark in the 2-0 win at Anfield but their Robin van Persie replacement will need time and patience to break his duck

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United announce five-year Toshiba partnership

The deal will see Sir Alex Ferguson's side provided with state-of-the-art medical facilities as they continue the major redevelopment of their Carrington training ground

Sep 3, 2012 1:05:00 PM

By James McManus

203870hp2.jpg

Manchester United have announced a five-year partnership that will see Toshiba Medical Systems provide medical equipment for the club's new-look training ground.

The Carrington-based complex is currently undergoing the first stage of development since the first team moved there 12 years ago and the club are looking to profit from the many advances in medical science since, with commercial director Richard Arnold delighted at what the deal can potentially offer the club.

"Our players are at the centre of Manchester United and it is vital that we are able to offer them the best possible medical support," Arnold told the club's official website.

"Our training ground at Carrington is currently under redevelopment to make way for new improvements, including state-of-the-art medical facilities.

"Unfortunately, in today’s game some injuries can be unavoidable; however, the club now has the comfort of knowing that through its partnership with Toshiba Medical Systems it can investigate and treat any injuries with the best medical equipment available."

When it comes to the sort of equipment that the club will be looking forward to getting their hands on in the near future, Toshiba Medical Systems Europe CEO Mr Chikao Kamijima went into more detail.

"Toshiba Medical Systems will supply Manchester United with a state-of-the-art CT scanner, capable of single rotation volumetric imaging, and a state-of-the-art MRI scanner," he added.

"In addition to a total of five ultrasound systems, including the industry-leading premium Aplio 500."