• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║║║║ Barclays Premier League Season 2012-13 ║║║║║

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Disappointed' Liverpool owner John W. Henry's open letter to fans in full

The 62-year-old American owner has apologised to the club's fans after they let Andy Carroll leave on deadline day, only to then fail to replace him before the window closed

Sep 3, 2012 10:25:00 AM

207299hp2.jpg

Liverpool owner John W. Henry has written an open letter to the club's fans apologising for their lack of success in the transfer market on deadline day, citing that they are still a work in progress as they look to build a long-term legacy for the future.

Brendan Rodgers admitted after the Reds' 2-0 loss to Arsenal that he would not have sanctioned Andy Carroll's departure on loan had he known an attempt to bring in a replacement would have proved unsuccessful.

Liverpool were strongly linked with a move for Clint Dempsey, only for the club to fail to agree a fee with Fulham as the United States international eventually moved to Tottenham - and Henry has move to explain the developments.

The letter, posted on the club's official website, read: "I am as disappointed as anyone connected with Liverpool football club that we were unable to add further to our strike force in this summer transfer window, but that was not through any lack of desire or effort on the part of all of those involved. They pushed hard in the final days of the transfer window on a number of forward targets and it is unfortunate that on this occasion we were unable to conclude acceptable deals to bring those targets in.

"But a summer window which brought in three young, but significantly talented starters in Joe Allen, Nuri Sahin and Fabio Borini as well as two exciting young potential stars of the future - Samed Yesil and Oussama Assaidi - could hardly be deemed a failure as we build for the future.

"Nor should anyone minimise the importance of keeping our best players during this window. We successfully retained Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and Luis Suarez. We greatly appreciate their faith and belief in the club. And we successfully negotiated new, long-term contracts with Luis and with Martin.

"No one should doubt our commitment to the club. In Brendan Rodgers we have a talented young manager and we have valued highly his judgement about the make-up of the squad. This is a work in progress. It will take time for Brendan to instill his philosophy into the squad and build exactly what he needs for the long term.

"The transfer policy was not about cutting costs. It was - and will be in the future - about getting maximum value for what is spent so that we can build quality and depth. We are avowed proponents of Uefa's Financial Fair Play agenda that was this week reiterated by Mr Platini - something we heartily applaud.

"We must comply with Financial Fair Play guidelines that ensure spending is tied to income. We have been successful in improving the commercial side of the club and the monies generated going forward will give us greater spending power in the coming years.

"We are still in the process of reversing the errors of previous regimes. It will not happen overnight. It has been compounded by our own mistakes in a difficult first two years of ownership. It has been a harsh education, but make no mistake, the club is healthier today than when we took over.

"Spending is not merely about buying talent. Our ambitions do not lie in cementing a mid-table place with expensive, short-term quick fixes that will only contribute for a couple of years. Our emphasis will be on developing our own players using the skills of an increasingly impressive coaching team. Much thought and investment already have gone into developing a self-sustaining pool of youngsters imbued in the club's traditions.

"That ethos is to win. We will invest to succeed. But we will not mortgage the future with risky spending.

"After almost two years at Anfield, we are close to having the system we need in place. The transfer window may not have been perfect but we are not just looking at the next 16 weeks until we can buy again: we are looking at the next 16 years and beyond. These are the first steps in restoring one of the world's great clubs to its proper status.

"It will not be easy, it will not be perfect, but there is a clear vision at work.

"We will build and grow from within, buy prudently and cleverly and never again waste resources on inflated transfer fees and unrealistic wages. We have no fear of spending and competing with the very best but we will not overpay for players.

"We will never place this club in the precarious position that we found it in when we took over at Anfield. This club should never again run up debts that threaten its existence.

"Most of all, we want to win. That ambition drives every decision. It is the Liverpool way. We can and will generate the revenues to achieve that aim. There will be short-term setbacks from time to time, but we believe we have the right people in place to bring more glory to Anfield.

"Finally, I can say with authority that our ownership is not about profit. Contrary to popular opinion, owners rarely get involved in sports in order to generate cash. They generally get involved with a club in order to compete and work for the benefit of their club.

"It's often difficult. In our case we work every day in order to generate revenues to improve the club. We have only one driving ambition at Liverpool and that is the quest to win the Premier League playing the kind of football our supporters want to see.

"That will only occur if we do absolutely the right things to build the club in a way that makes sense for supporters, for us and for those who will follow us. We will deliver what every long-term supporter of Liverpool Football club aches for."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Stoke still in race to sign Owen

owen_1577382a.jpg

UP FOR GRABS ... Michael Owen is yet to sign for a club after his release from Manchester United

Published: 4 hrs ago

STOKE boss Tony Pulis remains hopeful of signing free agent Michael Owen.

But the Potters boss has warned the former Manchester United striker that any deal will be appearance-based.

Stoke have been linked with the 32-year-old ever since he was released by United earlier this summer.

Pulis said: “I would love to sign Michael.

“If we can do it, we will do it, and do it on the basis that we did with Jonathan Woodgate and players like that.

“If he’s in the team he will get paid, and if he isn’t he won’t get paid so much.”

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

207013_thumb.jpg

David Gold hopeful Carroll will stay at West Ham for entire season
The chairman describes the terms of the agreement as "confidential" but is looking to keep the Liverpool man at Upton Park for the entire season after a good start

206613_thumb.jpg

Vertonghen proud to win Eredivisie Golden Boot award
The Belgian centre-back has picked up the Dutch league's trophy for the best player in the division, paying tribute to his family and former coach, Frank de Boer

207320_thumb.jpg

Manchester United skipper Vidic impressed by Van Persie
The Serbian defender praises the Dutchman for his fighting qualities and pays tribute to manager Sir Alex Ferguson after his 1000th league game in charge of the Red Devils

207066_thumb.jpg

Hazard has 'everything', says Chelsea favourite Zola
The Stamford Bridge legend labels the Blues as Premier League contenders and insists that he will be given time to bring success to Watford after being appointed Hornets boss

206898_thumb.jpg

Arnesen delighted with Van der Vaart deal
The Hamburg sporting director was happy to persuade the former Spurs midfielder to return to the club, despite the move representing a change in transfer strategy

207090_thumb.jpg

Tevez: The problem with Mancini was good for me
The Argentine hails the hard work he has had to put in after falling out with his manager for much of last season, notching four goals in his opening four games this season

204819_thumb.jpg

Fernando Torres eyes 'magical season' with Chelsea
The Spanish striker is looking for a return to his Liverpool form of old in the Blues' search for trophies and insists he is ready to improve on last campaign's goal scoring tally

143850_thumb.jpg

Chelsea may regret discarding 'Mr Expendable' Meireles
The departure of the Portuguese midfielder leaves Roberto Di Matteo's men worryingly light in the holding midfield area, with only Frank Lampard, John Obi Mikel and Oriol Romeu

203413_thumb.jpg

Lloris did not appreciate the statements of Andre Villas-Boas, reveals Deschamps
The 43-year-old former Olympique de Marseille boss is not willing to comment on the situation at the moment, but admitted that it could be a problem further down the line

207282_thumb.jpg

With Barton here, I won't be Marseille's only bad guy - Anigo
The Phoceens sporting director is happy with the arrival of the controversial Englishman, and is relishing having another edgy personality at the club

161383_thumb.jpg

Vidic unhappy with Manchester United defending against Southampton
The Serbian international was disappointed to concede two goals, but believes establishing a constant partnership in defence and improving fitness levels will be key to their form

149953_thumb.jpg

Official: Meireles leaves Chelsea for Fenerbahce
The 29-year-old has decided to leave Stamford Bridge after the club accepted a offer from the Turkish giants and has signed a four-year contract with Aykut Kocaman's side

204112_thumb.jpg

Manchester City do not fear anybody in the Champions League, claims Dzeko
The Bosnia international is unhappy that the Premier League champions have been drawn into the 'group of death' again but believes they are capable of qualifying from Group D

203735_thumb.jpg

I'm not Arsenal's new Song but more like Yaya Toure, claims Diaby
The 26-year-old believes that he is not the one to replace the Cameroonian in the Gunners' squad and that he would prefer an attacking role at the Emirates this season

207074_thumb.jpg

Sinclair and Barry feature in Manchester City reserve clash with Liverpool
The winger made his debut for the club following his deadline day move from Swansea City whilst the former Aston Villa midfielder stepped up his comeback from surgery

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sir Alex Ferguson has lost my respect, says Berbatov

The 31-year-old sealed a deadline day move to Fulham after falling out of favour with the Manchester United boss during a frustrating final year at Old Trafford

Sep 3, 2012 4:40:00 PM

By David Lynch

206339hp2.jpg

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov has revealed that Manchester United boss Sir Alex Fergusonlost his respect during a difficult final year at the club.

The Bulgarian joined the Red Devils for €38 million in 2008 after impressing at Tottenham and lifted two Premier League titles during his time at Old Trafford.

However, he began to fall out of favour toward the end of his time with the club, a situation underlined by his failure to make the squad for the 2011 Champions League final against Barcelona.

And, following his deadline day move to Fulham, the Bulgarian has underlined his unhappiness during that period.

"I don't think I deserved such treatment at United – not playing in the last year," he told reporters.

"I went more than 10, probably 15, times to ask the coach if they need me. And every time I was told that I'm an important player and should not leave, but then again I was not in the team.

"Maybe I should've gone when he [Ferguson] left me out of the squad for the Champions League final. I know he's the boss, but he has lost, to some extent, my respect because of the way he treated me."

The 2010-11 Premier League top scorer also claimed that a change of style from Ferguson led to his prolonged spell on the sidelines.

"He [Ferguson] tried to explain to me that the team will be using a more direct style, with more speed," he added. "But I've never been among the fastest players, I like to hold the ball, this is my style.

"I found it hard to accept his decision – I still have my dignity. I scored many goals, I won the league two times, and I was the league top scorer, so it's not bad.

"I'll have no problems playing against United as this already happened in my career. But there's no point to look back again. I said goodbye to the people, who deserve it. I couldn't say goodbye to Ferguson."

Berbatov had been rumoured to be close to joining Serie A giants Juventus and Fiorentina before jumping at the opportunity to work with Martin Jol again following the pair's successful spell at Spurs.

Fiorentina later slammed the 31-year-old for his indecision on deadline day, something which the Bulgarian insists is not his fault.

"I've never personally told them, 'Yes, I'll play for you'," he continued. "It's not my problem that someone is disappointed. After all, I choose where to play and be happy.

Berbatov concluded: "It's stressful. One club called, then another, and a third, and then another. A man can go crazy at one point. I'm a human being and it's normal for me to hesitate."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dempsey reveals 'relief' over Tottenham switch

The American forward is looking ahead to a new chapter in his career at White Hart Lane and thanks former club Fulham for giving him his chance in the Premier League

Sep 4, 2012 9:45:00 AM

By Andy Sixsmith

207606hp2.jpg

Tottenham's new signing Clint Dempsey has admitted he is relieved to have secured a move to White Hart Lane after a tense end to his spell at Fulham.

The American was linked with a move away from Craven Cottage throughout the summer, with Liverpool said to be his preferred destination, before agreeing a £6 million switch to Spurs on deadline day.

And Dempsey is delighted to have moved to a side where he’ll not only have the chance to play in Europe, but also without unduly unsettling his family.

Dempsey told The Guardian, "I'm very relieved and looking forward to getting back to playing.

"I think the team is a perfect fit. They qualified for a place last season for the Champions League but missed out on a technicality.

"But it's still in London. My family doesn't have to move far. My daughter, she can go to another international school and be on the same curriculum. It couldn't have worked out any better in that regard."

After netting 23 times in all competitions for Fulham last season, Dempsey had made no secret of his desire to play for a Champions League club.

And despite not being the case for Tottenham this season, he believes there is sufficient quality within the side to do so in future.

"I always wanted to play at the highest level possible. That was never a secret. That's something I always said.

"It would be a dream of mine to play Champions League and you want to play on the best team possible to try to get there.

"That's definitely a team with a lot of quality in it but now it's all about the team that I'm with."

After five years at Fulham, Dempsey concedes he was disappointed to leave on sour terms after refuting reports suggesting he refused to play but is now looking forward to his career at Tottenham.

"I'm disappointed in the way I was portrayed in the end with Fulham,” he admitted

"There were some things that were said that weren't true. That's in the past.

"It's about looking towards the future. I'm looking forward to playing with Tottenham. It's a great team, a great club.

"I want to thank the fans of Fulham. It's been five great years."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sweeper Special: Chelsea foiled in last-ditch Remy bid, Berbatov, Moutinho, Carroll & more

Goalcom reflects on the transfer window with the stories behind the deals that did - and didn't - happen last week, including Roberto Di Matteo's late move for the France striker

Sep 4, 2012 8:30:00 AM

TIDYING UP ALL THE LOOSE STORIES IN FOOTBALL THIS WEEK

<tbody>
</tbody>
199253hp2.jpg

CHELSEA MADE LATE REMY MOVE

Chelsea did make a late move for Marseille forward Loic Remy on the final day of the window but the deal fell through after Daniel Sturridge refused a loan switch to Liverpool, The Sweeperhas learned.

The Blues were willing to pay around €18.9 million for the France international and extensive talks were held while club officials were in the region for the club's European Super Cup clash against Atletico Madrid.

Chelsea's discussions with both Marseille and Remy were so advanced that the 25-year-old backed out of a move to Tottenham that looked likely on Thursday night when his agent was given permission to negotiate personal terms with the north London club.

But Sturridge held the key to his side's move for Remy and the England international did not want to leave Stamford Bridge on loan, instead pushing for a permanent switch as he searches for regular first-team football.

There was also a dispute between Liverpool and Chelsea over the loan fee due to the European champions and by mid-afternoon on Friday it became clear that both Remy and Sturridge would be staying at their clubs.
- Greg Stobart | Correspondent

HOW
THE MOUTINHO DEAL FELL THROUGH

206848_news.jpg

Tottenham's failure to sign Joao Moutinho from Porto on the final day of the window was caused by a dispute over wages and the Portuguese club's decision to raise the asking price several hours after a €27.7m deal had been agreed.

Spurs spent most of Friday afternoon in conversation with Moutinho's agent, while Andre Villas-Boas personally spoke to the playmaker as he tried to land his top summer target.

Moutinho agreed personal terms less than an hour before the 23.00BST deadline but, by then, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy was at loggerheads with Porto, who upped the asking price to €30m, citing a sell-on clause owed to Sporting Lisbon.

Desperate to sign the 25-year-old playmaker, Tottenham agreed to increase their offer but the contractual documents sent by Porto contained irregularities that were not corrected in time.

Spurs considered appealing for an extension to the deadline but gave up on their attempts to sign Moutinho, with officials at the London club furious with what they consider an unprofessional approach from Porto.

- Greg Stobart | Correspondent

SILENCE GOLDEN AS CARROLL GOES FOR A SONG

Whispers that West Ham could pull off the improbable and complete the loan signing of Andy Carroll first began to surface last Thursday afternoon.

Yet The Sweeper has learned that, even when Carroll was in a helicopter bound for the Hammers' Chadwell Heath training ground that same evening, club officials were not absolutely convinced they had got their man.

"Everyone involved in the deal was sworn to secrecy in the 24 hours before Carroll signed," a well-placed source told The Sweeper. "West Ham were terrified that Newcastle would come in and try and make a late bid if news got out that Carroll was joining them.

"They knew that Carroll's preference would have been to re-join Newcastle and did everything possible to keep things quiet.

"It wasn't until he arrived at the training ground that they felt they could relax and the deal was done."
- Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

HELICOPTER DASH SECURED BERBATOV SWITCH

Transfer deadline day appeared to pass without a marquee player making a frantic dash to a new club amid a whirr of helicopter blades.

But The Sweeper can reveal that, after Andy Carroll took his now obligatory chopper ride to complete a loan switch to West Ham United on Thursday, the final day of the window also involved an expensively adorned helicopter and a frenetic journey to a Premier League training ground.

206870_news.jpg

However, it was a well-heeled club owner rather than a player who alighted at Fulham's Motspur Park training ground on Friday.

It is understood that Mohamed Al-Fayed, the club's 79-year-old chairman, took the unusual step of personally overseeing the completion of Dimitar Berbatov's move from Manchester United.

The Fulham owner rarely gets involved in the minutiae of transfer deals but such were the figures involved in signing the Bulgarian that he flew to the club's south-west London headquarters to sign off the paperwork.

Berbatov has leapfrogged above long-serving goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer to become the highest-paid player in the club's history on a package that is believed to exceed Fulham's £50,000-a-week salary ceiling.

However, the Londoners are believed to have built in a number of safeguards to reduce the final cost of a player who is 32 in January and has little sell-on value.

Berbatov is said to have joined the west Londoners from Manchester United on a two-year contract but there are whispers that it is actually a 'one-plus-one' deal, with the agreement extending to a second year only if both ratified by both parties.

Moreover, United are believed to have been so keen to get Berbatov off their books that they agreed to make up some of the difference between the Bulgarian's six-figure weekly wage at Old Trafford and his Craven Cottage salary in the form of a one-off payment to the London club.

Al-Fayed authorised Berbatov's signing not only to bolster a squad that would be stripped of its two prize assets by the end of the window but to appease supporters with a marquee signing following the departures of Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele.

- Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zenit end €31.5m Nani pursuit after record Hulk & Witsel swoop

The Manchester United winger has been a summer target for the big-spending Russian giants but looks set to stay at Old Trafford after Luciano Spalletti spent heavily on Monday

Sep 4, 2012 8:20:00 AM

204675hp2.jpg

EXCLUSIVE
By Greg Stobart

Zenit St Petersburg are expected to drop their interest in Manchester United winger Nani after the Russian club signed Hulk from Porto and Axel Witsel from Benfica for a combined €80 million.

Zenit coach Luciano Spalletti spoke publicly earlier this month about his desire to sign Nani, who demanded showdown talks with United over his future at Old Trafford last week after slipping down the pecking order because of growing competition for wide roles at the club.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is understood to have given serious consideration to cashing in on the €31.5m-rated winger, although Nani is ready to demand a €6.3m pay-off to quit the club with talks over a new contract at a stalemate.

Former Manchester City winger Georgi Kinkladze, now a Moscow-based agent, played a key role in Zenit’s pursuit of Nani but the 25-year-old but the huge double move announced on Monday now makes a deal highly unlikely.

Zenit, winners of two consecutive Russian league titles, demonstrated their ambition and resources by bringing Hulk and Witsel to the club on five-year contracts, beating off competition from a number of European clubs.

Although Nani will stay at United until at least January, his future remains in doubt as he enters the final two years of his contract.

Ferguson has strengthened his attacking options by signing Robin van Persie, Shinji Kagawa and Nick Powell this summer, which could be ominous for Nani’s long-term future.

He started the Premier League opener against Everton but was left out of the squad completely to play Fulham, before featuring as a second-half substitute in Sunday’s win over Southampton.

Asked about his interest in Nani earlier this month, Spaletti said: “Are we interested in Hulk and Nani? Yes we are,” Spalletti said. “Everything's going to depend on how much they cost.

“There are three more players who we're holding negotiations with besides Nani and Hulk, but I won't name them. But if you want one more name, it's Afellay.”

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That didn't take long! Lloris unhappy with AVB just four days after joining Spurs

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 08:59 GMT, 4 September 2012 | UPDATED: 12:22 GMT, 4 September 2012

France manager Didier Deschamps has indicated that goalkeeper Hugo Lloris is unhappy with comments made by new club boss Andre Villas-Boas, just four days after his move to White Hart Lane.Lloris left Lyon for Tottenham in an £8million move on Friday, with the clear intention of taking the No 1 shirt from Brad Friedel.With Friedel now 41, it appeared Lloris, 16 years his junior, had been brought in with the idea of replacing the veteran American.

article-2198029-14D1D5FA000005DC-98_468x323.jpg

Fears: Hugo Lloris faces a fight with Brad Friedel for the No 1 jersey at Spurs

article-2198029-14D1D3DD000005DC-129_468x292.jpg

But Friedel responded to his arrival by producing one of the performances of his career against Norwich on Saturday.
That prompted Villas-Boas to say that Lloris would have a fight on his hands to win a starting spot.That does not appear to have gone down too well Lloris, who linked up with the national team on Monday.

Speaking at their base in Clairefontaine, Deschamps, in comments reported by L`Equipe, said: 'Hugo has not appreciated the statements of his coach.
'I am not going to create a problem that I do not need today.'But if it were to happen then it would need some consideration. I do not want Hugo to find himself in this situation.'After his side drew 1-1 with Norwich on Saturday, Villas-Boas said: 'Brad is doing extremely well and deserves to be playing and he'll continue to do so. 'He knows about the situation. We had to take this decision bearing in mind that we want to build for the future. So we decided to bring in Hugo now.

article-2198029-14D1E701000005DC-493_468x298.jpg

Concerns: France coach Didier Deschamps believes Lloris is unhappy

'We have to work with that and he will have to adapt to the Premier League.'There are players who need more time, players who need less time. But when you have a keeper who gives so much confidence to the team and is doing so well, he deserves to be in goal.'Sebastien Bassong, who returned to White Hart Lane for the first time since Villas-Boas sold him, has played with Lloris for France Under 21s.

article-2198029-14B0AC15000005DC-412_468x318.jpg

Plenty to ponder: Andre Villas-Boas has a tough decision to make in goal

He said: 'I think Hugo will learn a lot. He's a really good goalkeeper but now he's in a new competition, new country, he'll need Brad's help.'Brad's a terrific player and there's going to be a tough competition between them. The best will play.'

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo alerts mega-rich trio of Man City, Chelsea and PSG with outburst

By MATT BARLOW PUBLISHED: 22:28 GMT, 3 September 2012 | UPDATED: 22:37 GMT, 3 September 2012

Cristiano Ronaldo's unexpected declaration of sadness was widely interpreted as a cry for wealth. Ronaldo refused to celebrate his goals for Real Madrid on Sunday and revealed after the game that he was feeling sad for professional reasons, rather than personal ones. 'The people here know why,' he added, taken to be a nod towards the Real hierarchy but seemingly designed to trigger a broader debate about whether it might be the opening move of an exit strategy.

article-0-14D2554A000005DC-54_634x422.jpg

Cheer up! Cristiano Ronaldo (pictured arriving at training on Monday) has said he is 'unhappy' with the current situation at Real Madrid

article-0-14D251B4000005DC-639_634x403.jpg

Those clubs rich enough to consider paying the £100million buy-out clause to release him from a contract with three years to run and then meet wage demands likely to start at around £1m a month will certainly have had their interest pricked.

But this is a very exclusive group, consisting of those clubs bankrolled by bottomless pits of petrodollars, such as Manchester City and Paris St Germain, and possibly Chelsea, depending on which side of the bed Roman Abramovich got out of.

Jose Mourinho is not expected to stay at Real indefinitely, possibly moving on next summer, and will be keen to take Ronaldo should his next step be to a wealthy and ambitious club like City or PSG.

The Portuguese forward, bought from Manchester United for £80m in 2009, led Real to the title last season scoring 46 goals in 38 La Liga games and 60 in all competitions, a performance the 27-year-old perhaps thinks is worthy of a pay-rise.

He has raced to 150 goals for the club at the rate of more than a goal a game but continues to be eclipsed in Spain by Messi's heroics at Barcelona. Some say the Messi factor eats away at him, such is his vanity.

article-2197510-14CEA41F000005DC-360_634x370.jpg

Ouch! Ronaldo was substituted in Sunday's 3-0 win over Granada at the Bernabeu

article-2197510-14CE81B9000005DC-837_634x403.jpg

Is that it? Ronaldo failed to show much enthusiasm as he bagged two goals in the game

When he performed poorly for Portugal against Denmark in Euro 2012, Danish fans taunted him by chanting Messi's name.

Ronaldo is not cherished by Real as Messi is by Barca and one radio station reported that he has told club president Florentino Perez that he does not have the support of the dressing room. He was at pains to point out, however, that his 'professional sadness' was not simply a fickle reaction to losing out to Andres Iniesta in UEFA's Best Player in Europe award, last week.

'Money is the name of the game,' said one respected international players' agent and there was a media backlash in Madrid, where the front page of 'Marca', the pro-Real sports daily screamed: 'Enough is Enough' and criticising Ronaldo for 'unsettling' the club.

If it is simply the first move in a bid for more money, it may work. Real may feel the pressure to dig deep and deliver an eye-watering new contract for Ronaldo to stay ahead of Barcelona but, the thing is, money can't buy you happiness. Or love.

article-2197510-14CEB837000005DC-832_634x370.jpg

Unhappy chappy: Ronaldo said he was 'sad' but refused to elaborate on the reasons why

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hulk: Zenit deal came as a surprise to me

The Brazilian attacker says that he is very pleased to have moved to the Russian champions, but has admitted that the move was rather unexpected for him

Sep 4, 2012 6:20:00 PM

By Stefan Coerts

171650hp2.jpg

Hulk has voiced his delight with his transfer from Porto to Zenit St Petersburg, but added that the move came as a bit of a surprise to him.

The Brazil international had repeatedly stressed that he was happy with life at the Portuguese giants and was ready to stay at Estadio do Dragao.

However, he opted to open talks with Zenit after his agent informed him that both clubs had reached an agreement over a transfer fee.

"I wasn't expecting this. After Saturday's game I said I would help Porto win a third title in a row. Suddenly my agent rang to say a deal was done," Hulk was quoted as saying on the club's official website.

"I had no reasons to leave, but my agent called me and told that Porto and Zenit have reached a deal. This will be good for me, Porto and Zenit.

"This is another victory, yet another important step in my life. But I must say how grateful I am to Porto for opening the door to Europe. I was very happy in Portugal.

"I want to be happy at Zenit and in Russia as well. I want to keep moving in the same direction: winning matches and many titles as I did with Porto."

The 26-year-old has inked a contract with Zenit until the summer of 2017.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

206994_thumb.jpg

West Ham striker Carroll to miss the next six weeks
The England International has been forced to withdraw from Roy Hodgson's squad ahead of this month's World Cup qualifiers and could miss up to four matches for the Hammers

184996_thumb.jpg

Premier League ratify Michael Owen's move to Stoke City
The 32-year-old signed a one-year deal with Tony Pulis' side on Tuesday and is in line to make his debut for the Potters against Manchester City on September 15

177293_thumb.jpg

Balotelli may miss Stoke clash after eye surgery
The Italian recently underwent a procedure to correct Myopia following a bout of conjunctivitis and will likely return to action within two weeks, according to his surgeon

203870_thumb.jpg

Scholes believes added competition can fire Manchester United to title
The Red Devils' midfielder is certain that the club's new signings can enable the side to compete on multiple fronts, offering much needed depth to the squad

190636_thumb.jpg

Defoe: Tottenham's summer activity was 'mad'
The 29-year-old labelled the ins and outs at White Hart Lane as "mad", but he remains confident that Villas-Boas will be a success in north London despite the poor start

170422_thumb.jpg

Manchester United sign Universidad de Chile striker Angelo Henriquez
The Chile youth international has completed his move to Old Trafford and Sir Alex Ferguson believes that the 18-year-old could have a bright future with the Red Devils

176940_thumb.jpg

Ashley Young: Van Persie is a world-class striker
The England international has praised his new team-mate and believes that the Red Devils' entire strikeforce could make the difference in the Premier League this season

207299_thumb.jpg

Rodgers hopeful of swift Liverpool recovery for Cole & Assaidi
The 39-year-old suggested that the former Chelsea winger is still a "little way" off making a return, but believes the Moroccan should be in contention to feature very soon

204061_thumb.jpg

Injured Aguero set to anger Mancini by playing for Argentina
The striker was stretchered off in Manchester City's opening game of the season, and though he says his knee is sore, he insists he could be fit to face Peru next week

106238_thumb.jpg

Bertrand signs new five-year Chelsea deal
After receiving a call-up to the senior England squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers the Blues' left-back has also been rewarded for his fine club form with a new contract

204489_thumb.jpg

Rooney: I put on seven pounds over the summer
The Manchester United has stated that he returned to the training ground heavier than he expected to be after having a few "bevvies" on his holiday, but says he is naturally stocky

207678_thumb.jpg

New Manchester City signing Javi Garcia proud to join 'biggest club in England'
The 25-year-old added that he thinks they are also one of the top sides in Europe, while he is looking forward to the challenge of their tricky Champions League group

207693_thumb.jpg

Manchester United & Santos dismiss Neymar links
Both sides have denied reports that the Red Devils tabled a €48.1m offer for their young star, while the player's father also laughed off any speculation about a move

193859_thumb.jpg

Stoke can give lost talent Owen his last hurrah
A move to the Britannia Stadium highlights how far the 32-year-old has fallen from the pinnacle of the game, but it is still a deal which could benefit both parties

207606_thumb.jpg

Fulham continue action against Liverpool over Dempsey approach
The Cottagers are set to press ahead with their official objection to the Anfield club's pursuit of their former America international midfielder, despite his move to Tottenham

185913_thumb.jpg

‘Wenger’s had a bigger impact on Arsenal than Sir Alex Ferguson has on Manchester United’, claims chairman Hill-Wood
The Gunners board member has also slammed a section of the Gunners supporters who vented their anger towards the French tactician and believes it is unlikely he will leave the club

151055_thumb.jpg

Stoke City sign Michael Owen on one-year deal
The Potters have completed a deal for the 32-year-old following his release from Manchester United earlier in the summer, ending speculation linking him with a return to Liverpool

202965_thumb.jpg

Oxlade-Chamberlain ready to sign new Arsenal deal

207249_thumb.jpg

‘Arsenal have a good chance of winning the Premier League’, insists chairman Hill-Wood
The 76-year-old has backed the Gunners to challenge for the title, but admitted the club cannot compete in the transfer market with teams like Chelsea and Manchester City

207222_thumb.jpg

'When I'm on the pitch, I can win matches' - Podolski delighted after first Arsenal goal
The Germany international scored his first competitive goal for the club against Liverpool and is keen to become their latest goalscoring hero following Robin van Persie’s exit

117230_thumb.jpg

Glen Johnson encourages Liverpool squad to support Sterling
The right-back says the entire squad is eager for the 17-year-old to reach his potential, while Daniel Agger insists the team have enough talent to turn their poor start around

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There's fat chance Fergie will play me! Rooney reveals weight battles at United

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 07:58 GMT, 5 September 2012 | UPDATED: 12:22 GMT, 5 September 2012

Wayne Rooney has admitted his recent spat with Sir Alex Ferguson isn't the first occasion the pair have been at loggerheads over the striker's below-par fitness.

Ferguson was not happy with Rooney's condition when he returned for pre-season training this season and the United boss even suggested an enforced break after cutting his leg might be just what last season's top scorer needed to rediscover peak condition.

And now the England striker has admitted needing to take action when his fitness levels were below the standards required, recalling an episode in 2009.

article-2198516-14ACD90E000005DC-724_634x420.jpg

Back to basics: Rooney has conceded he was overweight when he returned to training in 2009

Rooney reveals the moment he told team-mates about his hair transplant

Before the last day of the 2010-2011, I decided to tell the rest of the United players.

I knew if I went on holiday with thinning hair and came back looking like Andy Carroll, they'll slaughter me.

After the Blackpool game, I said: 'I'm going to get a hair transplant done when I go away for the summer.'

'Oi, Wazza,' someone shouts. 'Are you going to grow a ponytail?'

'Early July: The first day back at pre-season training. I'm like most blokes, I put on a few pounds after a holiday' he said in an extract of his new book 'Wayne Rooney: My decade in the Premier League' in the Mirror, who are serialising his latest autobiography.'Even if I don’t train for a week, I put on two or three, but when I get back to Carrington for the first day of work, I’m in for a shock.

'The scales in the club gym tell me I’ve put on a few more pounds than expected – seven. Seven!'Then I remember – I drank a few bevvies while I was away. I’m stocky. I’m not like Ryan Giggs, all bone and lean muscle.

'But I gain weight quite easily. It’s not a problem though. It’s not as if the manager is leaning over my shoulder as the numbers come in, tutting and making jokes about me eating too many chip butties.
'As a striker I need to work hard all the time. I need to be sharp, which means my fitness has to be right to play well. If it isn't, it shows,'

article-2198516-14B062C6000005DC-87_634x445.jpg

Weight of responsibility: Rooney was used as a sub against Fulham and promptly injured himself

article-2198516-14B0722B000005DC-538_634x445.jpg

Rooney's injury recovery nightmares

When I'm out injured, I know I can't help the lads prepare for the next match so, typically, I get grumpy.

Still, it could be worse. Owen Hargreaves had operations on both knees and didn't play for 18 months and he was a United and England regular before then.

Players become a spare part when they're seriously injured. They become forgotten men around the club.

When I'm injured I get wound up and nervy watching games. It's so frustrating. I can't influence the game at all. I'm helpless.

'It would probably be different if I were a full-back. I could hide a bit, make fewer runs into the opposition half and get away with it.'As a centre-forward for Manchester United, there's no place to hide. I've got to work as hard as I can, otherwise the manager will haul me off the pitch or drop me for the next game.

'There's no room for failure or second best at this club.'Rooney found that out late last year after he was dropped for a match against Blackburn at Old Trafford. Ferguson was unhappy after it came to light Rooney had been out socialising after a game.

'I'm happy at Manchester United, despite the downs that sometimes take place at a football club,' he continued.'Like when we stuff Wigan 5-0 on Boxing Day.

article-2198516-0BC507CD00000578-317_634x459.jpg

All smiles: Rooney knows that one bad challenge could end his career in an instant

'I go out for dinner with a few of the lads, and our other halves, to a hotel. The next day, the manager pulls me up and tells me he's not happy and doesn't feel I've trained properly.'He fines me, but there's worse to come. I'm dropped for the next game, on New Year's Eve, against Blackburn.'At a lot of clubs, people wouldn't bat an eyelid at players having a night out six days before a game. But that's the difference at Manchester United and a mark of the high standards the manager demands.'It's a big deal, another lesson learned.'

And Rooney also knows his body is not as durable as it used to be.

'Physically I've taken a bit of a battering over the years; being lumped by Transformer-sized centre-backs or having my muscles smashed by falls, shoulder barges and last-ditch tackles, day in, day out, has left me a bit bruised,' Rooney said.

'When I get up in the morning after a game, I struggle to walk for the first half an hour. I ache a bit. It wasn't like that when I was a lad. 'I remember sometimes when I finished training or playing with Everton and United, I'd want to play some more. But football has had a massive impact on my body because my game is based on speed, power and intensity.

'Like any player I'm fearful of getting a career-ending injury. I could be in the best form of my life and then one day a bad tackle might finish my time in the sport. It's over then. 'But that's the risk I take as a player in every match. I know football is such a short career that one day, at any age, the game could be snatched from me unexpectedly. 'So I want to decide when I leave football, not a physio, or an opponent's boot.'

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real deal! Bolt to get United wish with Fergie to play sprint king against Madrid

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 06:11 GMT, 5 September 2012 | UPDATED: 08:12 GMT, 5 September 2012

Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to grant Jamaican sprint king Usain Bolt his ultimate wish and play him for Manchester United - against Real Madrid.

The 25-year-old stormed to double gold in the 100m and 200m at the London 2012 Olympics in August and immediately begged Old Trafford boss Ferguson for a trial.

article-2198501-14B35F14000005DC-770_634x482.jpg

Real deal: Sir Alex Ferguson wants to play Usain Bolt for Manchester United against Real Madrid legends

Ferguson responded by inviting the four-time Olympic gold medalist to United's 3-2 victory over Fulham last month and spent time talking to Bolt after the game, introducing to the rest of the team including new signing Robin van Persie and veteran Ryan Giggs.

Bolt - who clocked a winning 100m time of 9.63 seconds at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford - again begged Ferguson to take his request for a trial seriously and now it seems the 70-year-old Scot has.
Speaking to the club's Inside United magazine, Ferguson revealed he wants to play him in the annual charity match against Real Madrid legends where he will run the rule over his abilities.

'Usain’s a character and a big United fan,' Ferguson told Inside United. 'But it’s interesting he says he’d like to play in a charity game. 'It could be brilliant, and next year when we play Real Madrid’s Legends again, there could be opportunities to bring him up and see how he does.'Speaking after his success at the Games, Bolt said of his lifelong ambition to play for United: 'People think I am joking.'But if Alex Ferguson called me up and said, ‘OK let’s do this, come and have a trial’, it would be impossible for me to say no.

article-2198501-14B0CE7F000005DC-687_634x454.jpg

Sign him up: Bolt met Robin van Persie and Ryan Giggs after watching United beat Fulham 3-2 at Old Trafford in August

article-2198501-14B04A13000005DC-721_306x423.jpg
article-2198501-14B033E5000005DC-460_306x423.jpg

Thanks for the memories: Ferguson revealed Bolt won him money with his sprint triumphs at the Olympics

'I would not take up the challenge if I didn’t think I was good enough. I am a very accomplished player and know I could make a difference.'Ferguson also added how was also swept up in Olympic fever - and admitted he'd even cashed-in on Bolt's incredible triumphs. 'I must thank him because that was my biggest bet,' he added.

article-2198501-14C43A8F000005DC-819_634x396.jpg

On the ball: Bolt stunned locals in Uxbridge last month when he turned up for a kickabout

'Bolt was 4/5 to win each of them a week before the Olympics started. It was a brilliant bet.

'I watched all the Olympics. For us to get 29 gold medals was terrific.

'It was probably the most uplifting thing that’s happened in Britain for a long, long time.'

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Owen finally a Stoke player as Premier League ratify last-minute switch

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 14:38 GMT, 5 September 2012 | UPDATED: 15:01 GMT, 5 September 2012

article-0-14D8B02E000005DC-564_306x423.jpg

Done deal: Owen leaves Stoke's training ground after agreeing a one-year contract

Michael Owen has completed his move to Stoke City after the Premier League ratified the move. Tony Pulis’s side had already submitted their list of 25 players to the Premier League and required permission to replace one of those with the former England striker. Midfielder Michael Tonge, 29, is the player who was sacrificed.A Premier League statement read: 'The Premier League board has confirmed to Stoke City the registration of Michael Owen. Consequently he can be included in their 25-man playing squad.'Owen confirmed the news himself on Twitter moments before the club posted the decision on their official website.His Tweet read: 'It's official! Deal done. I'm a Stoke player. Can't wait to get going.'

article-2197989-14D19C47000005DC-766_468x364.jpg

Ready and waiting: Owen tweeted a picture of his boots lying idle on Monday

The transfer only just met the 5pm deadline on Tuesday to register players as Owen, 32, opted for Stoke ahead of Everton after the club tweaked their incentive-based offer. Liverpool had also shown an interest.Owen had waited until the last minute to see what deals were on the table before committing to Stoke.On Tuesday, Owen said via Twitter: ‘Delighted to have signed for Stoke. We have been in talks for a while and it was a club I was always keen to join. I’m particularly excited at the prospect of working under Tony Pulis.‘He has assembled a great squad that I look forward to joining. I’m now looking forward to contributing as much as possible to the club and can’t wait to play in front of a great set of supporters.

‘Thanks for your kind messages everyone. Can’t wait to get going again!’
Owen, who scored 40 goals in 89 England appearances, has been given a 12-month deal, with a further year’s option. It mirrors the deal signed by Jonathan Woodgate last year which triggers a further contract if the player makes a set number of appearances.Stoke chairman Peter Coates said: ‘We are very pleased. Michael is a good guy and a natural goalscorer. He is also a very proud guy. I think he feels he has been written off and I think he might have a point to prove.‘He’s always scored goals. It’s natural to him.‘We have agreed a one-year deal and then we can look at it.’

article-2198236-14D53CB4000005DC-281_468x306.jpg

Glimpses: Owen was rarely able to shine for United though injury and bad form

Owen becomes Stoke’s seventh signing this summer and arrives in the Potteries on the back of a disrupted three-year stay at Manchester United.He scored 17 goals in 52 appearances but only three successful strikes in four outings last term meant that his offers have dried up.Coates added: ‘We had talks and then Michael and his people came back to us and agreed the deal. We sent the forms off at 4pm and the deadline was 5pm, so it was a bit of a rush.’

MICHAEL OWEN FACTFILE

1996: Signs professional terms with Liverpool on 17th birthday after previously joining them as a schoolboy.
1997: May 6 - Scores on his first-team debut against Wimbledon at Selhurst Park.
1998: Finishes season joint-top scorer in the Premier League with 18 goals.

May 31 - Named in England's World Cup squad of 22.

June 22 - Scores after coming on as substitute against Romania but England lose 2-1.

June 30 - Scores a sensational goal against Argentina before England bow out of France 98 on penalties.

2001: May - Scores twice in the last seven minutes as Liverpool come back to beat Arsenal 2-1 in the FA Cup final at the Millennium Stadium.
Plays, but does not score, as Liverpool complete a cup treble when they beat Alaves 5-4 after extra-time to win the UEFA Cup.

September 1 - A hat-trick helps England to an historic 5-1 win over Germany in the World Cup qualifier in Munich.

December 17 - Named European Footballer of the Year.

2003: April 26 - Scores his 100th Premier League goal, the second of four in a 6-0 rout of West Brom.
2004: August 12 - Sources close to Real Madrid reveal the Spanish club have agreed to give Liverpool 38million and Antonio Nunez for the services of Owen.

August 13 - Passes medical with the Spanish giants.

article-2198236-14D5AA9C000005DC-248_458x318.jpg

2005:
May 23 - After scoring 16 goals in his debut season in Spain, states his intention to stay with Real Madrid despite reported interest from Newcastle.

August 30 - Signs four-year deal with Newcastle, sealing £17million permanent transfer.

December 31 - Breaks metatarsal bone in defeat at Tottenham and is ruled out for 'several months'.

2006: March 24 - Newcastle announce Owen requires surgery to tighten the screw inserted into his foot during the initial operation.

June 20 - Regains fitness to take his place at the World Cup but injures his knee in first minute of group game against Sweden in Cologne and is immediately replaced. Ruled out for at least nine months.

2009: May - Finishes the season with 10 goals as Newcastle are relegated from the Premier League on the final day.

June 22 - Confirms that he will not be renewing his contract with Newcastle.

July 1 - Becomes a free agent after his Newcastle contract runs out.

July 3 - Reports link Owen with free transfer to Manchester United and he later signs a two-year contract with the champions after passing medical tests.

August - Makes United league debut as a substitute against Birmingham, scoring a first competitive goal against Wigan six days later.

September 22 - Claims a dramatic winner in the sixth minute of injury time to seal a 4-3 win over local rivals Manchester City.

2011: May - Makes enough league appearances to claim a title winner's medal but is an unused substitute in United's Champions League Final defeat to Barcelona at Wembley.

November 2 - Substituted early in Champions League group stage match against Otelul Galati and misses the rest of the season.

2012: May 17 - Reveals on Twitter that Manchester United would not be offering him a new deal after three years with the club.

September 4 - Now a free agent, signs for Stoke on a one-year contract in a deal subject to Premier League Board approval.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool snubbed again as Del Piero completes Sydney switch

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 11:31 GMT, 5 September 2012 | UPDATED: 14:31 GMT, 5 September 2012

Alessandro Del Piero has completed his move to Australian club Sydney FC, despite reported interest from Liverpool.

The 37-year-old former Juventus striker confirmed the deal at a press conference in Turin where he announced he has joined the A-League side.'I'm happy to have signed with Sydney and for the next two years I will play with them,' Del Piero told reporters at Wednesday's press conference.

article-2198610-14D98971000005DC-668_468x286.jpg

Aussie rules: Alessandro Del Piero has signed a two-year deal with Sydney FC

article-2198610-14BABE7C000005DC-265_468x353.jpg

'A lot of clubs contacted me, Italian teams too and I thank all of them. Today my new adventure starts and my emotions are mixed.

'I thank Sydney for this opportunity and his fans that already adopted me. I will discover a fantastic city and a fantastic country. I am grateful to my family for being with me in every moment.

'I will continue to cheer Juventus. In Australia I will be able to deepen my passion for rugby. Above all I'm here to score a lot of goals and to try to improve Australian football with my experiences. I hope Australian people love football.'Del Piero's move to Sydney hit the headlines last week when completion of the deal was delayed after Liverpool and Barclays Premier League rivals Southampton both reportedly made late offers.Reds boss Brendan Rodgers admitted his frustration at failing to bring in a replacement for Andy Carroll after the striker was loaned to West Ham before Friday's transfer deadline.

Sydney chief executive Tony Pignata claimed that Liverpool had made a late attempt to hijack the deal. 'Liverpool have come in - and they're a big club, there's no denying that,' Pignata told Fox Sports Australia.In addition to Liverpool and Southampton, Sydney also have reportedly also fended off interest from Champions League clubs Celtic and Braga as well as Swiss side Sion.

article-2198610-14CDBE03000005DC-91_468x339.jpg

Plenty to ponder: Rodgers has struggled to targets in the transfer market

Del Piero, who turns 38 in November, made 91 appearances for Italy and is the all-time leading goalscorer for Juventus.

He will join a list of former stars to have joined the A-League late into their career that includes the likes of Robbie Fowler, Romario, Juninho and Dwight Yorke.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

See a shrink, Mario! City boss Mancini wants Balotelli to quit smoking habit

By CHARLES SALE PUBLISHED: 22:53 GMT, 4 September 2012 | UPDATED: 06:48 GMT, 5 September 2012

Mario Balotelli’s five-a-day smoking habit is concerning Manchester City enough for manager Roberto Mancini to have reputedly asked his Italian striker to undergo hypnosis or counselling.City believe his habit has not helped Balotelli’s eye problem for which he is undergoing minor surgery during the international break.Mancini, who made an unsuccessful plea for Balotelli to quit smoking last season, thought the player had at least cut down his cigarette reliance.

article-2198414-14BD82B2000005DC-585_468x350.jpg

Smoking: Mario Balotelli was spotted last week

So he was not pleased to see pictures of Balotelli smoking in the early hours last week after leaving a Manchester nightclub when he was due to be resting ahead of his eye operation in Italy. This followed photographs in July of the striker smoking a shisha pipe on holiday.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

More misery for Rodgers as under-fire owner Henry makes boast about Red Sox spending

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 07:54 GMT, 5 September 2012 | UPDATED: 08:17 GMT, 5 September 2012

Brendan Rodgers has been handed another blow following Liverpool owner John Henry's boast that his baseball team is among the sport's biggest spenders.

The claim comes just 48 hours after Henry penned a controversial letter to furious Liverpool supporters defending the club's transfer policy.

Manager Rodgers offloaded misfit Andy Carroll to West Ham on loan a day before the transfer deadline in the belief he would bring in top-target Clint Dempsey.

article-0-14D6C406000005DC-132_468x312.jpg

Money problems: Henry has been forced to defend Liverpool's transfer record which has left Rodgers understrength for the new season

However, the window closed with Dempsey sealing a move to Tottenham and that has led to criticism from fans, with Rodgers admitting he would not have allowed Carroll to leave had he not been very confident of bringing in someone else.But in an 800-word letter to Kop fans, Henry wrote: 'A summer window which brought in three young, but significantly talented starters in Joe Allen, Nuri Sahin and Fabio Borini as well as two exciting young potential stars of the future - Samed Yesil and Oussama Assaidi - could hardly be deemed a failure as we build for the future.'The transfer policy was not about cutting costs,' Henry added. 'It was - and will be in the future - about getting maximum value for what is spent so that we can build quality and depth.'

article-2198520-14D2D411000005DC-592_468x309.jpg

New club: Liverpool were favourites to land Dempsey but he joined Tottenham

The statement comes in stark contrast to another open letter in which Henry proclaimed to fans of the Boston Red Sox: 'We continue to have the second highest payroll among the 30 clubs. 'Baseball is a 365-days-a-year sport for us. Our commitment to winning with the Red Sox is unabated.'Liverpool are 18th in the Barclays Premier League after suffering their worst start to a top-flight season in more than 50 years, claiming only one point from their opening three games.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

New home for Chelsea's Malouda but it's next door with the youth team!

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 11:51 GMT, 5 September 2012 | UPDATED: 11:56 GMT, 5 September 2012

Florent Malouda has confirmed his Chelsea career has come to unsavoury end with the Frenchman forced to train with the youth team.

The forward was was omitted from the 22-strong Champions League squad list submitted by holders Chelsea to UEFA on Tuesday ahead of their Group fixtures with Juventus, Nordsjaelland and Shakhtar Donetsk.

article-0-13308F3F000005DC-438_468x406.jpg

Look what I won! Florent Malouda (right) celebrates Chelsea's Champions League success with Didier Drogba

article-2198615-14D8E652000005DC-306_306x423.jpg

New home: Malouda posted this to his Twitter account @realflorentm with the caption, 'This is where I'll train for my last season with the blues !!!'

Malouda was told that he could leave Stamford Bridge during the summer, but the transfer window closed without any deal being completed.And on Wednesday, Malouda took to Twitter to take a swipe at his employers.

With a picture of the entrance to the club's youth team facility next to where the seniors train in Cobham, the 32-year-old wrote: 'This is where I'll train for my last season with the blues !!!'

Malouda is understood to have dug his heels in over his wages - he is in the last year of a £70,000-a-week contract with Chelsea and wanted a similar pay packet elsewhere.The Premier League winner played no part in Chelsea's first three matches this season, the European Super Cup defeat to Atletico Madrid or the FA Community Shield loss to Manchester City.And with his omission from the Champions League squad, he has clearly been completely frozen out of manager Roberto Di Matteo's plans.

article-0-129C92DF000005DC-778_468x339.jpg

Waving Goodbye: Malouda is likely to depart Chelsea after five years at the club

A number of clubs in Brazil were interested in signing him, but were put off by his wage demands.Malouda played 49 matches for club and country last season, but has fallen right out of favour following the summer arrivals of Eden Hazard and Oscar.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Are you sure? Roy Hodson's England side remain third in FIFA world rankings

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 09:41 GMT, 5 September 2012 | UPDATED: 10:04 GMT, 5 September 2012

England remain the third best team in international football according to the latest rankings released by FIFA.

Roy Hodgson's side have played just the once since the last set of standings were released - the 2-1 victory over Italy in a friendly in Berne.

The ranking system came in for criticism after England surged up the placings, despite exiting Euro 2012 at the quarter-final stage and were placed above teams who had gone further in the competition.

article-2198572-14D26A8F000005DC-560_468x323.jpg

Stand your ground: Hodgson's men are the third best team in the world

FIFA's top ten

1 Spain
2 Germany
3 England
4 Portugal
5 Uruguay
6 Italy
7 Argentina
8 Netherlands
9 Croatia
10 Denmark

Reigning world and European champions Spain stay top, with Germany second and the Three Lions sitting pretty in third.Portugal are the only side to have made an upwards move inside the top 10 of the table, which takes into account August's internationals.

Paulo Bento's men move from fifth to fourth, with Uruguay swapping places with them.

The rest of the top 10 is made up of Italy, Argentina, Holland, Croatia and Denmark.

article-2198572-148FD8D0000005DC-317_468x318.jpg

Fired up: Defoe scored the winner for England last time out against Italy

Switzerland have broken into the top 20 with a three-place rise from 23rd, while Slovenia are big movers, up nine spots to 24th, with Belgium also making a leap from 53rd to 40th.
The Republic of Ireland remain 26th, Wales drop eight places to 45th, Scotland are 47th and Northern Ireland in the wilderness in 129th.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Romelu’s sick as a Drog

lukaku_1578676a.jpg

LUK OUT ... Romelu Lukaku has been sent out on loan to West Brom

Published: 6 hrs ago

ROMELU LUKAKU is sick to death of being compared to Didier Drogba.

The 19-year-old striker, who is currently on a season-long loan at West Brom from Chelsea, has drawn comparisons with Blues legend Drogba for his style and physical presence.

But Lukaku is hoping to shake off that tag and build a reputation for himself during his spell at The Hawthorns.

He said: “Didier and I have a similar playing style but I don’t think he would have wanted to be compared to someone when he was young.

“Every player wants to be their own person, their own personality. I don’t want to be the new anyone.

“At first it was OK — but I’m bored of it now. It isn’t necessary and I don’t like it now.

“I have my father’s surname, I am Romelu Lukaku — I’m not anybody else. This is my own name and the name I want people to remember.”