• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║║║║ Barclays Premier League Season 2012-13 ║║║║║

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mod Will be sold

lukamodric_1571583a.jpg

RIC PICKINGS ... Real will finally get their man

By ANTONY KASTRINAKIS
Published: 23rd August 2012

ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS wants Spurs to wrap up the £35million deal with Real Madrid for Luka Modric so he can bring in Willian.

The Tottenham boss admitted: “It has been dragging on for quite some time but we are very patient.” AVB wants Daniel Levy to step in and deal with the Modric saga. He added: “The chairman has to be very astute as you know he is.

“I thought it would be done in a few days and I will continue to think that way.”

Shakhtar Donetsk’s £20million-rated Willian, 24, is the No 1 choice to replace Modric.Villas-Boas added: “He is a player that I was interested in last year — extremely talented.”But the Spurs chief will only buy another striker if Jermain Defoe asks for a move. He has been linked with Leandro Damiao.

willian_28_620x413_1571584a.jpg

WILL POWER ... AVB wants Willian

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Big cuts in Nani state

150538067_1571415a.jpg

NAN'S BREAD ... winger is asking for less

Exclusive
By NEIL CUSTIS

Published: 23rd August 2012

NANI is offering to drop his wage demands in an attempt to save his future at Manchester United.

The Portuguese winger and his advisors are willing to accept his basic wage stays the same while the rest is made up by bonuses.

SunSport revealed on Wednesday how his prospects are in the balance at Old Trafford. He will be axed for tomorrow’s home game against Fulham after his poor showing in the 1-0 defeat by Everton at Goodison Park on Monday night.

That came on the back of a bad end to last season for Nani, which was why initial demands for a new contract were rejected out of hand by United.

Nani has two years left on his £90,000-a-week deal but wanted that boosted by nearly 50 per cent to more than £130,000.

United told the player’s representatives to forget it and have not gone back with an offer.

Now nervous Nani is ready to drop the demands.

He wants to keep his basic the same and accept around £30,000 for each appearance.

Those close to Nani fear the contract dispute may be affecting his form and he has thought about a move.

But the club would not sell unless they were offered more than £25million.

Nani needs to get back to the form that made him one of manager Alex Ferguson’s favourites.

Fergie chose him ahead of Ashley Young on Monday.

Again he disappointed, getting booked early, failing to create a decent chance and being subbed by Young with 12 minutes left.

Young will start against Fulham tomorrow.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nervous times as the clock ticks for four of football's unwanted

The last week in August brings anxiety for players seeking a new club, whether they be millionaires or honest toilers trying to earn a living wherever they can.

michael-owen_2318321b.jpg

Rarity: Michael Owen drills home his second goal for Manchester United in the Carling Cup tie against Leeds last September. He has scored only once for the club since
Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Mark Ogden and Luke Edwards

10:00PM BST 23 Aug 2012

The frozen-out star

Dimitar Berbatov
Age 31

berb_2318319a.jpg

Situation Under contract at Manchester United, where he has one year remaining on a £100,000-a-week deal.

Why is he unwanted? The great enigma of Old Trafford, Berbatov is adored as a maverick by one section of United’s fan base and dismissed as a work-shy £30.75 million flop by the rest. Sir Alex Ferguson has yet to disclose his personal opinion on United’s club record signing, but Berbatov’s fall from grace over the past 18 months suggests that he has long since lost patience. Having been left out of the squad for the 2011 Champions League final against Barcelona, Berbatov then started just five league games for United last season as Ferguson attempted to reshape his team by injecting more pace and movement in the form of Danny Welbeck and Javier Hernandez.

Berbatov’s presence up front has often slowed the team down and made them too predictable, so Ferguson has rarely selected him to start in the blue riband games against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City. Berbatov shares the same goals-per-match ratio for United as George Best - 0.38 a game - but few have come against major rivals or in key fixtures. And with Robin van Persie’s arrival at Old Trafford, Berbatov’s chances of featuring are bleaker than ever.

What are his prospects? United could have allowed Berbatov to leave Old Trafford on a free transfer during the summer due to his contract expiring in June, but the club triggered a clause to extend his deal by a further 12 months in an effort to secure a transfer fee for his services. It was a sensible business decision by United to protect the value of their asset, but they have since been surprised by the lack of interest in the player and, with just over a week to go before the transfer deadline, they now face the prospect of being left with an unwanted fringe player draining the wage bill to the tune of £100,000-a-week.

Berbatov’s wages are the biggest obstacle for United to overcome in terms of finding a buyer as no club will be prepared to fund a similar pay deal. Fiorentina, Dynamo Kiev and Juventus are showing signs of interest in Berbatov, with Galatasaray and Zenit St Petersburg shifting their sights elsewhere after earlier moves to entice him away from Old Trafford, but United may have to drop their £5 million valuation to strike a deal.

The fallen giant

Michael Owen
Age 32

owen_2318704a.jpg

Situation
Unattached following his free transfer from Manchester United, where he earned a basic salary of £15,000 a week.

Why is he unwanted? Stoke City have led the way in attempts to sign Owen this summer after the former England forward was released by United at the end of last season, but agreeing financial terms have proved problematic. The sad reality for Owen is that very few managers appear prepared to agree with his insistence that he remains fit enough and young enough to perform in the Premier League. The statistics suggest that Owen is not only yesterday’s man, but a player whose best days are perhaps a decade behind him. During his three seasons at Old Trafford, Owen started just six Premier League games.

In total, he scored 17 goals in 52 appearances for United, but the high point - an injury-time winner against Manchester City - was almost three years ago. Long-term absences due to hamstring and thigh injuries saw him become United’s forgotten man, but Owen maintains that he can still deliver goals in the Premier League.

What are his prospects? Having built-up a glittering CV during a career that includes stints at Liverpool, Real Madrid and Manchester United, Owen is accustomed to performing for the biggest and best, but he risks disappointment by sticking to his insistence that he will only sign for a Premier League club. “I know I can still play in the Premier League and can still score goals,” he said this week. “Obviously the question mark for any potential buyers is injuries but I just need a run of games.”

Interest from the Middle East, which would have been more lucrative than anything on offer in England, has waned, so he has few cards on the table. Stoke continue to show an interest, but links with Everton are understood to be wide of the mark, with manager David Moyes preferring to target younger and fitter forwards. The danger for Owen is that, having missed out on a pre-season, he is already way off the pace and not worth the risk for most Premier League clubs. Unless he takes a reality check in the coming days, he might be left without a club.

The journeyman

Colin Larkin
Age 30

larkin_2318383a.jpg

Situation
Released by League One club Hartlepool United at the end of last season and currently unattached.

Why is he unwanted? Larkin is just one of dozens of players who find themselves scrambling to keep their careers alive as lower league clubs attempt to keep their wage bills under control. The Irish forward, a regular for Hartlepool in the 2010-11 season, suffered a series of fitness problems last season, going over on his ankle in the summer and then injuring his knee. After a string of failed attempts to return, he was forced to undergo surgery which brought his season to a premature end. To compound his problems, Hartlepool sacked their manager Mick Wadsworth midway through the season and his replacement, Neale Cooper, decided Larkin was surplus to requirements.

“The new manager had never seen me play,” Larkin said. “My three-year contract finished in June, but rather than offer me a new one I was on trial over the summer and nothing came of it. When you’ve missed a year, managers just don’t think you’re fit. “It has been a worry because I’ve not been on mega bucks and I’ve got a nine-year-old daughter to support.”

What are his prospects? Uncertain. Larkin’s fitness record and age means he has few suitors and he is now considering dropping into non-league to keep his career going. He is currently in talks with Blue Square Premier club Lincoln City but it is not a move without complications. “If I’m going to sign for Lincoln, we’ll have to leave Durham and that means finding a new home and a new school for my daughter,” he said.

“My partner will have to quit her job. It’s not just about me at my age, so that is added stress.
"I’d like to think I can carry on playing until 35, but I’m looking into starting a physiotherapy course. It can take four or five years and I just wish I’d started sooner. If I have any advice to young players it is get something else under your belt.”

The youngster

Jordan Lavender
Age 19

jordan_2318703a.jpg

Situation Released by Sunderland at the end of last season.

Why is he unwanted? A year ago, Lavender was captaining the likes of Jordan Henderson and Jack Colback in Sunderland’s highly-rated under-18 team; now, while his former team-mates flourish in the Premier League, he finds himself without a club and with an uncertain future, like many other young players who just fail to make the grade. “I was called into the office of the academy director Ged McNamee at the end of last season and he told me it was bad news,” Lavender said. “I wasn’t going to be offered an extension to my contract. He did give me reasons, but I wasn’t listening by that stage. I was so disappointed and dejected.”

What are his prospects? Despite receiving offers of trials with Football League clubs, Lavender has decided his future lies away from England and has taken up a scholarship at Charlestown in West Virginia. “The lack of security in English football was a big factor,” he explained. “If I can get set up in America at university there are opportunities to play in the lower leagues and that’s a footstep into the MLS [Major League Soccer].

“At the minute, though, that isn’t the priority. I want to get an education, set myself up in a job and things like that. I want the life experience and there are so many opportunities over there. "I’ve loved the last 10 years at Sunderland and I’d still love to make it as a professional, but the reality is I’ll have to see how things go over the next few years at university.”

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hail Cesar
Blues sign Azpilicueta

cesar_1571865a.jpg

ROB AZ HIS MAN ... Blues have grabbed Cesar

Published: 43 minutes ago

ROBERTO DI MATTEO’S amazing summer spree has continued after Chelsea landed Cesar Azpilicueta.

Spain defender Azpilicueta has today become Di Matteo’s FIFTH signing after he joined from Marseille in a deal worth £6m.
The Blues had already shelled out on £72million Eden Hazard, Marko Marin, Oscar and Victor Moses.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Unfinished business: Wenger keeps cheque book out after missing out on Sahin

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 08:00 GMT, 24 August 2012 | UPDATED: 08:00 GMT, 24 August 2012

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed he could spend again before the transfer window closes - but looks set to miss out on Nuri Sahin. The Real Madrid midfielder is heading for a season-long loan move to Anfield with Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers taking advantage of his special relationship with Jose Mourinho.

While he rearranges his targets, there may also be further departures from the Emirates Stadium, the Frenchman said, prior to next Friday's 11pm deadline.

article-2192926-14A11D75000005DC-654_468x326.jpg

Unfinished business: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is hopeful of adding more players to his squad before the transfer window slams shut

Wenger has lost Robin van Persie to Manchester United and Alex Song to Barcelona, but he has added Santi Cazorla, Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud to the ranks. And if the right player becomes available, Wenger is not ruling out another plunge into the market. 'Some things can still happen,' Wenger told the club's official website. 'I don't want make a promise that I cannot keep. It does not only depend on me. But there still could be some action on the transfer market - ins and outs. 'We are working [in the market]. We'll see what we can do.

article-2192926-14A9138A000005DC-231_468x306.jpg

Missing out: Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin looks set to join Liverpool on a season-long loan

'The transfer market is open for two months and yet for one month and three weeks it is nearly closed. It wakes up completely in the last week and then every minute becomes important. 'Everybody has played for time for seven or eight weeks and now suddenly everyone is in a hurry. And that is when the most intense activity happens.' Wenger, whose side drew 0-0 at home with Sunderland on the opening day of the Barclays Premier League season, is happy with the state of his squad. As he remarks, there could be a shuffling of some personnel in and out, but Wenger stresses there is no urgent need. 'We have a good, stable, focused squad. We just have to show how good we are in the season,' he said.

article-2192926-149D0A4B000005DC-183_468x286.jpg

Centre of attention: Arsenal are interested in signing Rennes midfielder Yann M'Vila (R)

'We have (Abou) Diaby and (Alex) Oxlade-Chamberlain back now while (Tomas) Rosicky and (Jack) Wilshere are coming back. 'They are all international-stature players. I focus highly on that. If we get these players back in good shape then we have a very, very strong squad.' An obvious target for Wenger would be a like-for-like replacement for defensive midfielder Song, who was a £15million departure. Rennes midfielder Yann M'Vila and Sevilla winger Jesus Navas have both been mooted. The Gunners head to Stoke on Sunday, when England midfielder Oxlade-Chamberlain is expected to be available following an ankle problem, but defender Laurent Koscielny (calf) is still not match fit.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

204752_thumb.jpg

Manchester United coach hails Buttner potential
Rene Meulensteen has praised the Dutch defender following his arrival from Vitesse but has backed Patrice Evra to put up a fight in order to keep his spot at left-back

176489_thumb.jpg

Arsenal move for Sahin is 'not alive', says Wenger
The Gunners boss has conceded that a move for the Real Madrid midfielder is unlikely with Liverpool now favourites to seal a season-long loan deal for his services

140552_thumb.jpg

Official: Chelsea confirm Moses signing
The Blues have finally captured the 21-year-old Wigan attacker after a summer-long pursuit of the player, with the Latics accepting a bid believed to be in the region of £10m

201865_thumb.jpg

Official: Adam Johnson joins Sunderland
The Englishman has signed a four-year deal with the Mackems, ending a spell at Manchester City in which he struggled to truly break through into the first team

175174_thumb.jpg

O'Neill: Steven Fletcher will be terrific for Sunderland
After completing the signing of the 25-year-old forward on a four-year deal on Friday, the Northern Irishman enthused about his latest acquisition's qualities

204396_thumb.jpg

Official: Swansea sign Ki from Celtic for club record fee
The Korean has completed his transfer to the Liberty Stadium, putting an end to the Swans' drawn-out pursuit of the midfielder, as he looks to fill the boots vacated by Joe Allen

135243_thumb.jpg

Manchester United chief Gill nominated for Uefa role
Following the news that Geoff Thompson, who has represented the FA in the role since 2009, will step down next May, the governing body has nominated the Red Devils boardmember

204434_thumb.jpg

Di Matteo looking forward to working with Moses at Chelsea
With the Blues closing in on the signing of the 21-year-old, the Italian has praised the guidance Latics boss Roberto Martinez has given the Nigeria international

173733_thumb.jpg

Sahin on brink of completing Liverpool move
The Real Madrid midfielder is due to undergo a medical at the club's Melwood training ground on Friday after manager Brendan Rodgers revealed the paperwork has been finalised

201865_thumb.jpg

Adam Johnson due for Sunderland medical ahead of €19m move
The England international is close to completing a switch from Manchester City in a deal worth €12.6m plus up to €6.3m of add-ons after falling out of favour at the Etihad

204752_thumb.jpg

Manchester United new-boy Buttner can't wait to show fans what he can do
After making the switch to Old Trafford from Vitesse Arnhem, the 23-year-old full-back could feature against Fulham on Saturday as the Red Devils contend with defensive injuries

169509_thumb.jpg

Former Arsenal star Ljungberg announces retirement
The former Sweden captain, who won two Premier League titles and three FA Cups during his time with the Gunners, has decided to call time on his 18-year career

204819_thumb.jpg

Chelsea must replicate Manchester City, says Torres
The Spain international is targeting maximum points from the Blues' opening Premier League fixtures and wants to get off to a good start, as Roberto Mancini's side did last term

198544_thumb.jpg

Maicon wanted by Manchester City, Chelsea and Real Madrid, claims agent
The 31-year-old Brazilian defender has been the subject of much interest this summer as he seeks a move away from the San Siro, with the three clubs in the frame for his signature

204320_thumb.jpg

Mancini surprised and confused by Aguero call-up to Argentina squad
After injuring his knee in the Premier League opener the City boss expects the 24-year-old striker to be out for a month, but he is due to fly to Argentina in a fortnight

131552_thumb.jpg

Sunderland confirm Steven Fletcher signing from Wolves
The Black Cats' boss reveals the Scottish striker has been brought in from Wolves, with only paperwork left to complete before he is signed on a four-year deal

185965_thumb.jpg

Mancini expects tough Liverpool trip
The Italian boss is anticipating an even contest at Anfield and says an early-season thrashing, like his side's 5-1 win over Spurs last season, is unlikely

172618_thumb.jpg

Swansea holding out for substantial Manchester City offer for Sinclair
The 23-year-old's contract runs out next year, and he put the champions on alert when he said he will not renew, but the club will only let him go for the right price

204053_thumb.jpg

Javi Martinez costs too much for Manchester City, laments Mancini
The Italian coach believes the Basque club are asking for too big a sum for their Spain international, but hinted at winger Scott Sinclair being brought in from Swansea City

202965_thumb.jpg

Oxlade-Chamberlain set for Arsenal return at Stoke, but Koscielny remains sidelined
The youngster missed the opening-day draw with Sunderland but will resume full training on Friday as Arsene Wenger's men aim to get their season up and running in the Midlands

190472_thumb.jpg

Lambert bans mobile phones from Aston Villa dressing room
Players will also be unable to use electronic devices at training as the former Norwich boss looks to bring an added concentraion and professionalism to the Villans preparations

196856_thumb.jpg

Azpilicueta completes Chelsea switch
The 22-year-old defender, who represented Spain at this summer's Olympic Games, has moved to Stamford Bridge to bolster Roberto Di Matteo's defensive ranks

0_thumb.jpg

Brooking: FA must make sure National Football Centre inspires coaching revolution
The governing body's director of development insists the St George's Park complex must be used to drastically improve the quality and quantity of English coaches

203731_thumb.jpg

Manchester United 'definitely won't be buying anyone else', says Sir Alex Ferguson
The 70-year-old Scottish boss has stated that the club's transfer business for this summer is at an end as they clinched their fifth signing of the transfer window

203971_thumb.jpg

Giroud not interested in being Van Persie's replacement at Arsenal
The 25-year-old French striker believes that despite not having as many resources at their disposal, the club can still compete for the title with both Manchester teams this term

140552_thumb.jpg

Promising Moses could get lost in the crowd at Chelsea
The Nigerian is widely expected to move to Stamford Bridge this week after Wigan accepted a bid from the Blues, but could face stiff competition for first-team football

137979_thumb.jpg

'It doesn't have to be a slow process' - Carragher sure Liverpool can adopt Rodgers' style quickly
The Reds looked far from comfortable in their 1-0 win against Hearts, but the defender, who also labelled Raheem Sterling as one to watch, thinks they will improve soon

203973_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas calls for transfer window rethink
The Portuguese has insisted clubs should not be able to sign players once the season has begun and revealed the idea has been discussed at a Premier League managers' meeting

202742_thumb.jpg

Wenger: Revamp of youth set-up is better for young footballers
The Gunners boss has hailed the introduction of the Under-21 League and the club's first year in the NextGen Series, which he says will help to create an elite group of players

204683_thumb.jpg

Tottenham will not struggle without Dawson, insists Villas-Boas
The Tottenham boss confirms that he is willing to let the 28-year-old leave White Hart Lane, insisting that he has enough defenders to cover the expected departure

203917_thumb.jpg

Newcastle boss Pardew accepts misconduct charge
The Magpies manager has pleaded guilty to the FA disciplinary charge after pushing assistant referee Peter Kirkup in his side's 2-1 win over Tottenham on Sunday

198335_thumb.jpg

Kane looking to score 'plenty of goals' for Tottenham
The 19-year-old, who scored crucial goals to help Millwall secure their Championship status last season, is hoping to make a big impression on his return to White Hart Lane

198243_thumb.jpg

Standard Liege beat Tottenham to signing of Zeki Fryers from Manchester United
The 19-year-old left-back was set for a move to Spurs after agreeing terms but, following complications between the two clubs, he has instead joined the Belgian side

188878_thumb.jpg

'Of course I'd go' - Hector Herrera eager for Manchester United chance after 'official interest' lodged
The 22-year-old midfielder admits that it would be hard to turn down a move to the Premier League outfit but has not been contacted by the Red Devils yet

203791_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas plays down Tottenham moves for Damiao & Willian
The Spurs boss says he is a fan of both players but does not think the club will recruit any more forwards before the end of the month following the arrival of Emmanuel Adebayor

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Former Arsenal star Ljungberg announces retirement

The former Sweden captain, who won two Premier League titles and three FA Cups during his time with the Gunners, has decided to call time on his 18-year career

Aug 24, 2012 1:35:00 PM

By Tom Dunn

169509hp2.jpg

Former Arsenal star Freddie Ljungberg has announced his retirement from professional football.

The 35-year-old spent nine years at the north London outfit, winning two Premier League titles and three FA Cups between 1998 and 2007.

Ljungberg represented Sweden 75 times over a 10-year association and captained his side throughout the Euro 2008 qualification process before retiring following the conclusion of the tournament.

"It is with a bittersweet feeling that I now choose to end my football career. A decision that has emerged after six months of thinking about it,” Ljungberg said in a statement.

"During my football career I have had the opportunity to play with some of the top football players in the world, as well as teams in the world elite.

"I am grateful for everything football has given me and all the amazing people I met through my career. "

Ljungberg’s most successful season at Arsenal was the 2001-02 season, where his return of 17 goals from midfield aided his team to a Premier League and FA Cup double, before he played a key role in the ‘Invincibles’ team the following season.

However, a succession of injuries hampered his progress following a 2007 exit from the Gunners – leading to a multitude of short spells at the likes of West Ham, Celtic and MLS side Seattle Sounders.

Ljunberg’s last competitive appearance was for Japanese side Shimizu S-Pulse, who terminated his contract by mutual consent in February.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo insists defender David Luiz will not join Barcelona at any price

Roberto Di Matteo, the Chelsea manager, has stressed that David Luiz was not for sale at any price and bullishly outlined his confidence in the club’s ability to keep their star players amid interest from Barcelona.

david-luiza_2319569b.jpg

Target: Barcelona are expected to make a £30m offer for Chelsea's David Luiz before the transfer window closes Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Jeremy Wilson

11:00PM BST 24 Aug 2012

Having prised Alex Song and Cesc Fabregas away from Arsenal over the past year, Barcelona are considering a formal £30 million bid for Luiz before the transfer window closes next Friday.

Chelsea have heard nothing from Barcelona so far this summer and the clear message on Friday from Di Matteo was that they would be wasting their time.

“I don’t feel any pressure in that sense,” said Di Matteo. “This club has been very, very successful in the past and I don’t see why any player should want to leave us to go anywhere else.

“We always compete for trophies, it is a very ambitious club with an ambitious owner. A great group of players that over the years have won a lot but still have the hunger to win more. Competition is hot, we have great facilities, everything.

“David Luiz is part of our long-term future here. It’s normal that he gets interest. It doesn’t concern me. I think the player will be here in the long term.”

A further statement of intent was made yesterday by Chelsea in the £6.5 million signing of Marseille right-back César Azpilicueta.

With Victor Moses also undergoing a medical ahead of his £10 million move from Wigan, Chelsea have spent £80 million this summer and almost £100 million on transfer fees during 2012.

Even with only Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge competing to start as the main central striker, Di Matteo does not expect any further transfer activity at Stamford Bridge this summer, whether incoming or outgoing.

In pointing out that he has only started with one new signing – Eden Hazard – in the opening two Premier League games, Di Matteo also argued that recent spending was geared towards the long-term evolution of the squad. “I’m happy with the way the squad is,” said Di Matteo.

“If you look at the profile of the players that come in you are looking at players who will be here for the next four or five years.

“They are all very young players. You are looking for them to be the platform for the future of this club. I don’t expect a revolution or anything like that. It’s a slow process to try and get the players slowly into the team and try and build a team for the future. You are looking at investment in the next cycle for four or five years.”

The main focus has been to improve their midfield creativity and so provide Di Matteo with the personnel to introduce a more fluid, passing style of football. The arrival of Azpilicueta, who trained with the squad yesterday, will enhance their defensive options and potentially allow Branislav Ivanovic, who has been starting at right back, to compete for a place in central defence.

Chelsea are almost certain to be without captain John Terry against Newcastle this evening following a neck injury that was sustained when he fell during Wednesday’s 4-2 win against Reading.

Even a draw would keep Chelsea at the top of the Premier League but, even after spending £80 million on a squad that was already good enough to win the European Cup, Di Matteo regards Manchester City and Manchester United as the clear favourites this season.

An improvement on last year’s inconsistency is Di Matteo’s relatively modest aim in the Premier League, publicly at least.

“We need to make up 25 points and I don’t think any team has done that in the history of the Premier League,” said Di Matteo. “City haven’t lost any key players. United had the same points and they have signed Robin van Persie. They are still the two teams you need to beat.”

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sunderland-Reading called off due to heavy rain

Saturday's Premier League clash between Sunderland and Reading at the Stadium of Light has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

<cite class="byline vcard" style="font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: rgb(119, 119, 119); font-size: 12px; display: block; font-family: Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif; vertical-align: middle; ">Eurosport – <abbr title="2012-08-25T12:55:48Z" style="border: 0px; font-variant: normal; ">2 hours 47 minutes ago</abbr></cite>
879696-14792125-640-360.jpg

Eurosport - Sunderland's Stadium of Light in the rain

The torrential rain which has covered much of England has led to the rare occurrence of a match being called off because of it in the summer.

A Sunderland club statement said: "Torrential rain across Wearside overnight and throughout Saturday in the build up to the game led to an inspection from Match Officials.

"Despite attempts from club staff and the officials to get the game to go ahead, the postponement was announced by referee Neil Swarbrick after thorough checks on the Stadium of Light pitch.

"An announcement for the rearranged fixture will be made in due course and all tickets purchased will still be valid."

Sunderland were expected to give new striker Steven Fletcher a debut following his £14 million move from Wolverhampton Wanderers on Friday.

Another new addition to the club's ranks, Adam Johnson, was scheduled to be welcomed by the club's fans after he also completed his £11 million move from Manchester City on Friday, but did not do so in time to be eligible for the match.

The Black Cats were hoping to build on last weekend's creditable 0-0 draw at Arsenal, while newly-promoted Reading were looking for their first win back in the top flight after drawing with Stoke City on the opening day and then losing 4-2 at Chelsea on Wednesday.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

204449_thumb.jpg

Song: I wanted to stay at Arsenal but when the Barcelona train comes, you can't miss it
The Cameroonian reveals that he was frustrated by the Gunners' unwillingness to talk about a new long-term deal and hurt by accusations that he was lazy and late for training

205524_thumb.jpg

Torres masterclass hints at greatness of old to cap a perfect start for Chelsea
The Spaniard's impressive all-round display against Newcastle, including a brilliant goal, suggests that he is capable of once again scaling the heights that he did at Liverpool

205502_thumb.jpg

Van Persie and Kagawa show marks fork in the road for injured Rooney
Manchester United's two headline summer signings both scored in the 3-2 victory over Fulham to compound a dreadful day for the out-of-sorts Old Trafford talisman

205468_thumb.jpg

Kagawa: No time to celebrate after debut goal at Old Trafford
Manchester United's summer signing has expressed his relief after scoring his first Premier League goal in front of a jubilant home crowd in a tense 3-2 victory over Fulham

179163_thumb.jpg

Hart talks up 'great asset' Carroll ahead of Manchester City's trip to Liverpool
The goalkeeper feels his England team-mate, who is thought to be out of favour at the Reds, can pose a threat to any team ahead of the Premier League champions' trip to Anfield

197842_thumb.jpg

I almost joined the Manchester City backroom staff, reveals Liverpool boss Rodgers
The Ulsterman flew to Milan to discuss a possible move into Roberto Mancini's team at the Etihad Stadium following his dismissal as Reading manager three years ago

117213_thumb.jpg

Pulis: People call Stoke a dirty team... what about Arsenal?
The Potters boss pointed out that his squad boasted a better disciplinary record than the Gunners last season, with Wenger countering with the Fair Play table results

204819_thumb.jpg

'His workrate is immense' - Di Matteo hails Torres after starring display
The Blues boss was delighted with the attacking prowess on show from both his striker and new-boy Eden Hazard after another convincing victory in the Premier League

188032_thumb.jpg

Wigan players ready to fill void left by Moses, says Martinez
The Latics began life without the young winger with a convincing victory in front of a near-capacity crowd away at St. Mary's, with the Spaniard praising his players' attitudes

203504_thumb.jpg

Newcastle unlikely to bid again for Liverpool striker Carroll, says Pardew
The Toon Army have already had an offer to re-sign their former striker rejected, and now their manager has moved to quash rumours of a second approach before the window shuts

179664_thumb.jpg

Liverpool sign Sahin on season-long loan from Real Madrid
The Turkey international, who has found first-team opportunities limited with the Spanish giants, has moved to Anfield for the rest of the campaign after passing a medical

205524_thumb.jpg

Ashley Cole hails Torres & 'phenomenal' Hazard after Chelsea beat Newcastle
The former Lille man put Roberto Di Matteo's side ahead from the penalty spot after the striker was fouled, before the pair combined to allow the Spaniard to double the lead

205508_thumb.jpg

Chelsea 2-0 Newcastle: Hazard & Torres goals keep Blues top of Premier League
The attacking duo shone again and combined twice for first half strikes that saw off the Magpies and made it three top flight wins out of three for Roberto Di Matteo's side

205463_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas: Tottenham deserved to beat West Brom
The former Chelsea coach was disappointed that his side were unable to pick up their first win of the season, insisting that their first-half showing should have earned a win

203083_thumb.jpg

Michael Laudrup confirms Sinclair wants to leave Swansea
The Swans manager has admitted the 23-year-old has told the club he does not want to sign a new contract with the Welsh outfit, with a move to Manchester City likely

205469_thumb.jpg

Van Persie: I feel at home at Manchester United
The Dutch striker made his home debut and scored a breathtaking goal in the 3-2 win over Fulham, and says he still needs to get used to how his team-mates play - but it will happen

205469_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson hails 'fantastic' Van Persie finish
The 29-year-old netted his first goal for Manchester United on his Old Trafford debut as the Red Devils secured a hard-fought 3-2 victory over Fulham on Sunday

205502_thumb.jpg

Rooney 'out for four weeks' after being hospitalised with horror thigh gash
The striker was brought on in the second half as Sir Alex Ferguson's side secured a 3-2 win but was withdrawn in the closing stages with a nasty-looking cut to his right leg

205450_thumb.jpg

Manchester United 3-2 Fulham: Van Persie & Kagawa score as hosts secure first win of season
The Netherlands international struck a sensational goal on his full debut as the Red Devils came from behind to secure victory, but saw Wayne Rooney stretchered off late on

205474_thumb.jpg

Tottenham 1-1 West Brom: Last-gasp Morrison equaliser denies Villas-Boas a first victory
Benoit Assou-Ekotto gave Spurs the lead at White Hart Lane but they were denied victory by a late strike as Steve Clarke's men picked up another impressive result

204393_thumb.jpg

Van Persie must bring something to Manchester United - Sir Alex Ferguson
The Dutchman is set to make his first start for the Red Devils on Saturday afternoon as Fulham visit Old Trafford, and the 70-year-old is eyeing an improvement from his front line

152089_thumb.jpg

Rio Ferdinand could soon return for Manchester United, reveals Sir Alex Fergsuon
The Red Devils have started their Premier League campaign with a makeshift defence, but the Old Trafford boss is confident that his squad will be at full strength soon enough

202967_thumb.jpg

Hazard can be one of the best, says Cabaye
The Newcastle midfielder claims he always knew his former Lille team-mate would settle quickly at Chelsea, after he helped convince the Belgian to come to the Premier League

203439_thumb.jpg

Van Persie will be the difference as Manchester United look to regain the Premier League title, says Carrick
The 31-year-old believes the Dutchman will help bridge the gap between the Red Devils and their city rivals to restore their status as champions

168696_thumb.jpg

Chelsea boss Di Matteo inists David Luiz is not for sale amid Barcelona rumours
The coach believes the Brazilian defender is essential to the club’s future, while also reiterating that Manchester United & Manchester City are the teams to beat this year

161717_thumb.jpg

Manchester City outcast Santa Cruz willing to sacrifice €8m so he can re-join Betis
The Paraguayan is prepared to reject big-money offers from China and Dubai so he can return to the Spanish club where he spent last season on loan

185861_thumb.jpg

Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas backs Lukaku to shine at West Brom
The Spurs manager believes the Belgian striker whom he signed for £18m during his spell at Chelsea, is now ready to make his mark on the Premier League on-loan with the Baggies

202965_thumb.jpg

I can fill Song's role at Arsenal, says Oxlade-Chamberlain
The 19-year-old insists he is ready to fill the void left by the Cameroonian, while Arsene Wenger hasn't ruled out a signing despite claiming he has adequate cover in the position

188897_thumb.jpg

Suarez: I came to the Premier League because of Carlos Tevez
Ahead of their sides' clash at Anfield on Sunday, the Uruguayan has revealed that the success of the Manchester City forward motivated his move to England

139637_thumb.jpg

Makoun joins Rennes on loan from Aston Villa
The Midlands side have opted to send the Cameroonian midfielder away on a temporary deal for the second consecutive season following a spell at Olympiacos last term

161378_thumb.jpg

Sahin's arrival could provide Liverpool with their belated Xabi Alonso replacement
With the midfielder on the verge of joining the Anfield outfit on a temporary basis, the Premier League club appear to have eventually found their next midfield maestro

137399_thumb.jpg

Neville: Everton start helped by stable summer
The Toffees captain believes that uncertainty over the future of certain squad members has caused the Merseyside outfit to begin the campaign in poor form in the past

203733_thumb.jpg

Arsenal winger Oxlade-Chamberlain praises 'brilliant' Cazorla
The Gunners youngster, who is expected to make his comeback from injury this Sunday against Stoke City, has spoken highly of one of the club's summer recruits

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United 3 Fulham 2: Van Persie opens account with stunner but Fergie loses Rooney for four weeks

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 15:58 GMT, 25 August 2012 | UPDATED: 16:33 GMT, 25 August 2012

Sir Alex Ferguson's brave decision to drop Wayne Rooney from his starting line-up paid off as new boys Robin van Persie and Shinji Kagawa scored in Manchester United's come-from-behind victory over Fulham. Rooney paid the price for a below-par performance in the defeat at Everton on Monday.

And whilst it is viewed as a reminder from Ferguson that standards have to be higher, the respective performances of Van Persie and Kagawa were such that Rooney would not have been guaranteed a recall at Southampton next week.

article-2193427-14B01540000005DC-722_634x444.jpg

Pick that out: Robin van Persie scores his first goal for Manchester United

MATCH FACTS

Manchester United: De Gea, Da Silva, Carrick, Vidic, Evra, Cleverley, Anderson (Giggs 81), Valencia, Kagawa (Rooney 68), Young (Welbeck 68), Van Persie
Subs not used: Lindegaard, Evans, Hernandez,Scholes
Goals: Van Persie 10, Kagawa 35, Rafael 41

Fulham: Schwarzer, Riether, Hughes, Hangeland, Briggs, Duff, Diarra (Baird 81), Dembele, Kacaniklic (Sidwell 62), Ruiz, Petric (Rodallega 72)
Subs not used: Stockdale, Kelly, Kasami, Halliche
Goals: Duff 3, Vidic (og) 64

Booked: Hangeland
Referee: Kevin Friend (Leicestershire)
Attendance: 75,352

But that is no longer an issue as the England striker was ruled out for four weeks after suffering a nasty gash on his leg in a clash with Hugo Rodallega. Before then a week of frenzied transfer activity is due, with Rooney's name doubtless being mentioned, in addition to Nani, who did not even merit a place on the bench.

Ferguson is more concerned about points, which were collected as the first-half response of Van Persie, Kagawa and Rafael to Damien Duff's second-minute effort proved enough despite a Nemanja Vidic own goal.

Rumours swept Old Trafford that Rooney had been axed long before official confirmation was received an hour before kick-off.It is not the first time the England striker has suffered such a fate. On New Year's Eve last season, Ferguson omitted the 26-year-old for disciplinary reasons against Blackburn - a decision that proved very costly as the Red Devils suffered a home defeat against a team that went on to get relegated.

article-2193427-14B016D1000005DC-536_634x423.jpg

United front: Van Persie is mobbed by his team-mates after scoring for Manchester United

Yet there was never any suggestion Rooney would be left out for the long term. However, as he made his way to the home dressing room after witnessing a powerful first-half display from the hosts, in which Ferguson's two big summer signings both opened their United accounts, Rooney must have had a worry or two.

For in addition to their goals, Van Persie and Kagawa in particular caught the eye with how easily they fitted into the system. Kagawa excelled in the hole behind the main striker.

article-2193427-14B0387A000005DC-915_634x414.jpg

Slide rule: Robin van Persie enjoys his big moment after scoring his first goal in a Manchester United shirt

His movement, speed and passing kept Fulham on the back foot. And this, shrewd judges from Japan insist, is his best position. So to where in that, would Rooney fit? It gave a different view to Ferguson's programme notes, in which he said that anyone who had 'fallen out of love' with the club he would 'invariably help them on their way out'.

That is not to say such a fate awaits Rooney. However, it is worth noting Jaap Stam featured in United's first game of the 2001-02 season, against Fulham of all teams, and was promptly shown the door.

article-2193427-14B0722B000005DC-54_634x534.jpg

Cut up: Wayne Rooney suffered a gash to his leg late in the game

article-2193427-14B07850000005DC-168_634x371.jpg

Stitched up: Wayne Rooney needed treatment on the pitch

article-2193427-14B0785B000005DC-615_634x400.jpg

Sad ending: Wayne Rooney left the pitch on a stretcher after suffering a cut to his leg

Not that Ferguson's brave move had a particularly impressive start as Bryan Ruiz rolled a free-kick into Duff's path which the Irishman turned home before guest of honour Usain Bolt had even taken his seat. Coming so soon after that loss at Everton, it was a major test of character for United which they came through with flying colours.

article-2193427-14B016F3000005DC-536_634x375.jpg

Jumping for joy: Damien Duff shocked United with an early opener for Fulham at Old Trafford

Van Persie levelled with the clinical efficiency you would expect of a Golden Boot winner. Meeting Patrice Evra's left-wing cross perfectly, the Dutchman flashed a shot wide of Mark Schwarzer before turning to receive the acclaim of his team-mates.From that point on it was a case of when, rather than if, the hosts would gain the initiative. As Kagawa prompted and cajoled, Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia both went close.

article-2193427-14B013E8000005DC-909_634x394.jpg

Show us your medals: Usain Bolt was on the pitch at Old Trafford before Manchester United played Fulham

article-2193427-14B01C53000005DC-39_634x424.jpg

Get shirty: Olympic sprint king Usain Bolt with a special United shirt at Old Trafford

But when Van Persie's corner was half-cleared to Tom Cleverley, Schwarzer could only turn the midfielder's shot into the path of Kagawa, who - profiting from Sascha Riether's failure to get out of the six-yard box quickly - swept home from close range. Restored to the starting line-up following his Olympic campaign with Brazil, Rafael provided additional defensive security.

article-2193427-14B0428B000005DC-368_634x408.jpg

You don't miss from there: Shinji Kagawa pounces to score for United after Tom Cleverley's shot was saved

article-2193427-14B0358B000005DC-779_634x421.jpg

On top: Shinji Kagawa celebrates after firing Manchester United in front against Fulham

He also had a goal correctly ruled out for offside before nodding home Young's chip to the far post just before the break. Yet, for all United's attacking endeavours, there remain serious flaws at the back amid a massive injury list.

article-2193427-14B03864000005DC-505_634x365.jpg

Head boy: Rafael (No 2) was on target to put Manchester United 3-1 up just before the break

article-2193427-14B039DC000005DC-1000_634x409.jpg

Here we go again: Rafael peels away after scoring his goal

Once again pressed into service as an emergency centre-half, Michael Carrick came far too close to turning the ball into his own net for comfort. And when United conceded a second, it was almost laughable as David De Gea came to punch Matthew Briggs' cross, got nowhere near it and the ball eventually bounced off Vidic and rolled in.

De Gea redeemed himself with two brilliant saves to deny the excellent Mousa Dembele as Rooney was introduced for Kagawa. And then, on Fulham's last attack, De Gea denied Ruiz, who had been set up by Dembele.

article-2193427-14B07E83000005DC-954_634x516.jpg

Blunder: the ball ends up in the United net as Nemanja Vidic and David De Gea make a mess of things

article-2193427-14B03D2F000005DC-163_634x421.jpg

Pitch invasion: Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer had enough to worry about without a bird in his box

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho encouraged Liverpool switch, reveals Sahin

The Merseyside club's new loan signing says that 'The Special One' encouraged him to join up with Brendan Rodgers after witnessing the Northern Irishman's qualities at Chelsea

Aug 26, 2012 9:35:00 AM

By Tom J Doyle

152601hp2.jpg

New Liverpool loan signing Nuri Sahin has revealed that Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinhoencouraged him to join the side after revealing that Brendan Rodgers would be a 'great person' for the promising player to work with.

The 23-year-old Turkish midfielder was the subject of a tug of war between the Reds and Arsenal but eventually decided to join Rodgers' team for the season following discussions with his Madrid coach.

"We talked and he [Mourinho] told me English football, especially Premier League, is the best to enjoy as a player. You can enjoy football every weekend," Sahin told reporters.

"He also told me Rodgers and him worked together at Chelsea and he is not only a good coach but also a great person. That's important for me. It was not only football. I wanted someone to speak with as well."

After speaking with Rodgers about how the Northern Irishman intends to set out his side, Sahin was convinced to make the switch to Anfield.

"To be honest, I hadn't thought of playing for Liverpool before talking to Brendan Rodgers, as we didn't have any previous contact. But just after the first conversation, I felt impressed," revealed the former Borussia Dortmund man.

"He told me how he wants to play football and what his objectives with Liverpool are. From that moment, I started thinking I could make that step.

"I feel proud to play for a great team, as Liverpool is. I'm the first Turkish [player] here and it's my turn to make Turkish people feel proud now."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Luka Modric to join Real Madrid after £33m deal is done for Croatia international

Luka Modric will finally leave Tottenham Hotspur this week after a deal worth up to €42 million (£33.3 million) was on Saturday agreed with Real Madrid to spark a frantic final few days of the transfer window.

Luka_Modric_2320203b.jpg

On the move: Luka Modric appears poised to join Real Madrid Photo: AP

By Jason Burt, Football Correspondent

11:44PM BST 25 Aug 2012

Spurs will now push ahead to sign a replacement for the Croatian midfielder and are in advanced talks to acquire Willian from the Ukrainian club Shakhtar Donetsk, who want £20 million for the Brazilian.

Spurs have decided against bidding for Porto’s Joao Moutinho, and have also considered Rennes’ Yann M’Vila, but it is not certain that Willian, a 24 year-old attacking midfielder, will sign. They retain an interest in Fulham’s Moussa Dembele.

The Modric deal falls short of the £40 million demanded by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy but the club have decided it is in everyone’s interests for him to leave. He is expected to sign a five-year contract at Real with part of the fee made up of bonuses and money to be received from exhibition matches opening up the prospect of a friendly between the two clubs.

Michael Dawson is now expected to stay at White Hart Lane after QPR balked at the defender’s wages demands despite a £9 million fee being agreed.

Dawson has insisted he wants to stay at Spurs and although Villas-Boas sanctioned the sale – because he has four other central defenders and there is a desire to give opportunities to Steven Caulker – he will not attempt to force the 28 year-old to leave.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spurs on alert as Man United prepare to offload Nani and Anderson

By JOE BERNSTEIN PUBLISHED: 22:10 GMT, 25 August 2012 | UPDATED: 22:10 GMT, 25 August 2012

Manchester United are prepared to consider offers of £15million for Brazil midfielder Anderson and winger Nani as they seek to recoup some money after a summer of heavy spending.Tottenham are among the clubs who could be interested in the 24-year-old Anderson should they fail to land top target Joao Moutinho from Porto.

article-2193603-14B0400F000005DC-696_468x418.jpg

Market value: United would consider offers for Anderson (left)

Sir Alex Ferguson has splashed out £45m on five players, including Robin van Persie, and club owners the Glazers are keen to trim the squad. With so many options in midfield, Anderson is considered disposable.

Nani is also vulnerable, having failed to agree a new contract with two years left on his deal. The Portugal winger was left out of the win over Fulham. Anderson, an £18m signing from Porto in 2007, has netted only four Premier League goals.

Benfica have expressed an interest but United would be prepared to sell him to a Premier League rival and Spurs are monitoring the situation, even though they also have other targets, with manager Andre Villas-Boas making a top-quality midfielder his priority.

article-2193603-14A0EF74000005DC-37_468x425.jpg

Missing: Nani was left out of Fulham clash

Blackburn and Sheffield Wednesday have asked about a loan deal for QPR striker Jay Bothroyd, although his £40,000-a-week wages may be a problem.Crystal Palace are also possibilities but they would prefer to take his team-mate, DJ Campbell.Blackpool are bracing themselves to lose Scotland winger Matt Phillips, who is wanted by Everton.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Washed out in August! Sunderland's match with Reading postponed after deluge

By BOB CASS PUBLISHED: 12:50 GMT, 25 August 2012 | UPDATED: 20:59 GMT, 25 August 2012

Sunderland's £10million signing Adam Johnson was denied his big introduction to his new fans on Saturday after a waterlogged pitch forced the postponement of the match against Reading.
Referee Neil Swarbrick was forced call it off after hours of torrential rain made the pitch unplayable, with the downpour forecast to contiue for hours.

article-2193380-14AFE197000005DC-795_634x468.jpg

Debate: Reading manager Brian McDermott and Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill discuss the situation

article-2193380-14AFDA4C000005DC-148_634x360.jpg

Washed out: Sunderland's match with Reading has been called off

‘When we arrived at the ground, straight away we were told there were concerns about the pitch,’ he said. ‘We went out two hours before kick-off and there was standing water on both flanks. We took a ball with us and tried to roll it but it held up in the water.‘Our next step was to look at the weather forecasts, and they said it would continue to rain. We talked to the managers when they arrived at 1.30. We went on the pitch and straight away and they could understand our concerns and issues with the pitch.

The pools were getting larger and wider and they agreed it should be called off. It was down to the safety of the players and the spectacle of the game and it would have been a farce. Never before have I had to call off a game in August.’
Similar sentiments were expressed by Sunderland manager Martin O’Neill. ‘It’s unheard of to have a game called off in August because of the weather,’ he said.Reading boss Brian McDermott said: ‘We performed well at Chelsea, so we were looking forward to playing. It’s a disappointment.‘We flew up — no hardship — and we will get a coach home. It’s a nice coach, beautiful, no problem. We will probably watch the TV on the way back.’

article-2193380-14AFF40C000005DC-58_634x405.jpg

Flood alert: There was nowhere for the rain water to go

article-2193380-14AFFC31000005DC-31_634x388.jpg

Johnson, signed too late to play if the match had gone ahead, is likely to make his debut in Tuesday’s home Capital One Cup match against Morecambe, with O’Neill looking forward to the impact he can make in his native North-East.‘To get Adam, it’s really, really big news for us. It’s a real coup,’ he said.

‘He’s a fantastic footballer and he’s really exciting. I just think if he stays clear of serious injury, he will be great for us, really great.
‘At Manchester City, he might not have been playing all the time there and maybe it seemed as if he might be leaving.‘But to come to us instead of a number of other teams who were definitely in for him, I was just very, very pleased; pleased for everyone.’

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Raging Mancini may quit champions City over lack of summer signings

By MARK RYAN
PUBLISHED: 22:02 GMT, 25 August 2012 | UPDATED: 22:06 GMT, 25 August 2012

Roberto Mancini could quit as Manchester City boss inside a year if he doesn’t receive the backing he requires.Sportsmail understands he is unlikely to see out his recently-signed contract if he continues to be left high and dry over new signings. A source close to Mancini said: ‘He has three targets before the window closes — Daniele De Rossi, Maicon and Stevan Jovetic.

article-2193642-14AFD94F000005DC-768_468x419.jpg

Furious: Roberto Mancini (left) is not happy with City's transfer policy

article-2193642-149D15BF000005DC-296_468x322.jpg

Lone signing: Jack Rodwell (left) is the only player to have joined City

'We will see what happens in the next few days. He feels there is no one at the club doing the transfer dealing for him and he has been left with just 19 players for the new season. He is angry, as you can imagine.‘He is ambitious, he has just won the Premier League and wants to win the Champions League. But he can’t do that without the right support.

article-2193642-14A70971000005DC-88_468x301.jpg

Target: Roma midfielder Daniele De Rossi is wanted by City

article-2193642-14AB6DD8000005DC-896_468x295.jpg

England bound? Inter Milan's Maicon (right) is also on City's wishlist

‘He isn’t about to walk out on City but if nothing else happens before the transfer window closes this could be his last season at City. I wouldn’t rule out a move elsewhere next season.’There is still tension between Mancini and City chief executive Brian Marwood. The Italian will want to see some of his targets realised in the next five days if he is to be pacified.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger and Pulis get down and dirty in a war of words

By ROB DRAPER PUBLISHED: 21:32 GMT, 25 August 2012 | UPDATED: 21:49 GMT, 25 August 2012

Arsene Wenger has defended his team's disciplinary record after Stoke manager Tony Pulis accused Arsenal of being a dirtier team than his. Pulis made his claim based on the number of yellow and red cards each side received last season, with Arsenal receiving four red cards to Stoke's two and 64 yellow cards to Stoke's 60.

article-2193630-1499E52C000005DC-447_224x423.jpg
article-2193630-1499A688000005DC-281_224x423.jpg

Head to head: Tony Pulis (left) and Arsene Wenger

'People talk about us being a dirty team, yet we haven’t had as many red cards or I haven’t had as many red cards as a manager as Arsene Wenger has had as a manager,' said Pulis.
'People always talk about me and Stoke City. Nobody ever talks about the situation with Wenger.

'There was a situation not so long ago when a lot of red cards were being dished out to Arsenal. Everybody seems to have forgotten about that.'All we want is fairness and a balance. It is frustrating when you get labelled for this or that and people don’t look at the other side of the coin.'But Wenger in turn drew attention to the Premier League's Fair Play table, which also takes account of players' attitudes to officials, which had Arsenal in seventh and Stoke bottom.Wenger said: 'I think we did quite well in the Fair Play table. I don't know how they did. But we did quite well. It's not only about red cards, it's the number of fouls.'

And Wenger says he will not make a special point of briefing his players on the more physical challenge that Stoke will pose today, even though Lukas Podolski, Olivier Giroud and Santi Cazorla are new to the Premier League.'It will give them a good image [of English football],' said Wenger. 'But usually they are quite well informed. We will focus on playing our game and we do not make too much of it. Stoke have fewer yellow cards than us, so we do not need to be briefed too much.

We just have to play our game and Stoke play theirs.'
And Wenger believes that, despite the departures of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri and Robin van Persie, Arsenal have a side that will challenge for the title and that will stay together.Wenger said: 'The team were there and we were close to four trophies. We start again because we lost all these players in two years.'Now we build again and this time we have an English core.'

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rory’s missiles make me laugh

Exclusive
By GRAEME BRYCE

Published: 14 hrs ago

16_rors_1572600a.jpg

BOMBS AWAY ... Rory Delap about to send in a throw

PETER CROUCH admits he sometimes laughs out loud during Stoke City games.

It’s usually when Rory Delap reaches for his towel — and he sees rival strikers throw in the towel! Crouch has heard the critics say Stoke’s long-ball tactics do not intimidate opponents like they used to.

The Potters hurled in a staggering 980 throw-ins last season but only scored from two — even Manchester United did better than that. But Crouch claims boss Tony Pulis would be crazy to scrap Stoke’s infamous tactic because he reckons opponents still visibly wilt when his mates win a throw.

That’s why he will be watching Arsenal’s new signings Olivier Giroud, Santi Cazorla and Lukas Podolski closely today — to see if they get in a flap over Delap!

Crouch confessed: “I still love it whenever we get a throw-in.

“I see forwards who have to come back to defend our set-pieces and it genuinely makes me laugh.

“I’ve been in that situation myself so I know what’s going through their heads.

“As a striker, when your opponents win a throw-in you usually have to get back and help defend it.

“You’re whole body language is saying: ‘Oh no, I’ve got to get all the way back and defend now’.

“It’s bad enough having to come back and defend corners.

“But when it’s every throw-in too, mentally it makes teams HATE coming to play Stoke City. It’s been the strongest weapon in our armoury.

“I see teams who would rather give away a free-kick or corner than concede a throw-in to us!

“But I think we’re dangerous from all set pieces.”

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has been the fiercest critic of Stoke’s tactic over the years. He once famously said he would like to see throw-ins outlawed and replaced by kicking the ball in from the touchline. Crouch says the Frenchman can expect the same old, same old at the Britannia today. He added: “We’ve got a big team and good players like Matt Etherington and Jermaine Pennant with the ability to whip the ball in at set-pieces.

“We’ve also got Rory and Ryan Shotton on throw-ins, so we’d be crazy not to use their ability.

“When Rory can put the ball in flatter and faster than a corner then it’s a trick worth using.

“Whenever Rory’s on the pitch it’s a tactic we’ll definitely use.”

Arsenal may be the polar opposite to Stoke when it comes to launching balls forward. But Crouch says there is too much snobbery from some teams who pick and choose when they ditch their principles.

He said: “Listen, I’ve watched so-called ‘football’ teams who are losing with a minute to go and what do they do?

“They start slinging the ball it into the box! I’ve seen great teams who need a goal in the last minute and they suddenly play like us! Manchester United are brilliant at it.

“Manchester City won the title last year but against Sporting Lisbon didn’t they have Joe Hart up HEADING the ball in the dying seconds?

“People don’t give us enough credit for the fact we can play. We scored some phenomenal goals last season. Good team goals, some good individual goals.

“You’ve got to have that to your game in the Premier League otherwise you’ve no chance.”

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Owen, going, gone

owen_1572954a.jpg

FREE AGENT ... Michael Owen

Published: 26th August 2012

MICHAEL OWEN remains confident he will find a new club before the end of the transfer window.

The 32-year-old was released by Manchester United at the end of last season after three years at Old Trafford.

The former Liverpool and Newcastle forward is confident he will find a new team before the window closes on Friday and indicated he will be returning to the Premier League.

When asked if he expects to have a new club by the end of the week, Owen said: “I do, yeah.

“As with a lot of these situations, transfer windows and things like that, a lot of things happen later on in the window when people are refreshing their squads and things like that.

“So, yes, I have been in contact with quite a few teams and I definitely expect to be donning a new shirt quite soon.”

He added: “I’ve spoken to quite a few teams and it’s a case of picking the best which is going to suit me and my family.

“I’ve said before I’d prefer that to be in the Premier League and that remains the case.

“Different things will form the basis of making the right choice: location - it would be great if I could stay at home but if not then so be it.

“The quality of the team, the manager — everything really so hopefully I shall pick the right one.”

Owen insists he will not get further involved in horse racing when his playing career ends but instead would like to stay in football.

He added: “Horse racing is something I am passionate about and enjoy but is certainly something I want to keep as enjoyment, even though I have got a business interest in it I don’t want to go any further.

“Football is what I know and what I do best and I will certainly stay in the football world.

“I have done my first few coaching badges but I am still not sure whether I want to pursue that or not.

“There are other things you can do in football and I wouldn’t mind exploring them.”