• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester City nearing De Bruyne deal

845092_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
Aug 26, 2015 21:00:00

Reports in Germany suggest a deal is already in place, but while the saga is close to an end, it is understood that exact terms will be thrashed out at the Champions League draw

By Sam Lee and Paul Clennam

Manchester City are finally close to agreeing a deal with Wolfsburg for Kevin De Bruyne, Goal has learned.

Reports in Germany on Wednesday evening claim the terms of the transfer have already been agreed, but Goal understands that while the saga is close to an end, nothing has yet been finalised.

Wednesday, however, proved to be a decisive day in the long-running negotiations; De Bruyne's agent, Patrick De Koster, met with Wolfsburg at their training ground and requested that the matter be resolved before Friday, when the Bundesliga side take on Schalke at the Volkswagen Arena.

Klaus Allofs, the Wolfsburg sporting director, is also understood to have softened his stance in the past 24 hours and will meet his City counterpart, Txiki Begiristain, at the Champions League draw on Thursday to thrash out terms.

City, for their part, are confident that they are close to a resolution after weeks of talks, and are prepared to shell out around £54 million for last season's Bundesliga player of the year.

Goal had earlier revealed that De Bruyne had been left exhausted by the situation, enduring sleepless nights as he awaits updates from his agents.

The deal would take the Premier League leaders' summer spending past the £150m mark, following the arrivals of Raheem Sterling, Nicolas Otamendi, Fabian Delph and Patrick Roberts.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodriguez hoping for England recall

jayrodriguez-cropped_qpjvhoguqhwe1qb8vp5pfpl4n.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Aug 27, 2015 07:57:47

The Southampton forward has not played for the Three Lions since 2013 after a 16-month injury layoff, but wants an international return ahead of Euro 2016 next summer

Fit-again Southampton forward Jay Rodriguez is dreaming of a return to the England fold.

Rodriguez, 26, is back playing again after a 16-month lay-off due to a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.

The striker marked his competitive return with a goal in Southampton's 1-1 draw at home to Midtjylland in their UEFA Europa League play-off last week.

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman believes it is too soon for Rodriguez to be included in England's team for next month's Euro 2016 qualifiers against San Marino and Switzerland, warning Roy Hodgson ahead of Sunday's squad announcement.

But Rodriguez, who last played for England in 2013, is hoping an international return comes sooner rather than later.

"At the moment I'm just concentrating week by week to get as much match fitness and sharpness as I can and try and take confidence from each game. It's a case of taking it slowly and hopefully it comes," he said.

"Of course, it was the highlight of my career to go and represent my country. It's the best thing for a player to do that.

"There were times in my injury period that were really hard. If you aim high then the sky's the limit and that is what keeps you going through the tough times.

"There's no limit on what you can do. To reach the highest possible thing you can in football is a good marker."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

West Brom rule out sale of Tottenham target Berahino

1830422_heroa.jpg

Aug 27, 2015 18:17:00

The forward has been the subject of two bids from the White Hart Lane outfit but the Baggies chairman has held talks with the player to explain the club's standing

West Bromwich Albion chairman Jeremy Peace has categorically ended speculation surrounding star striker Saido Berahino.

The Baggies have turned down two bids from Tottenham for the England Under-21 international while they have also rejected a transfer request from the forward.

And Peace has spoken to the 22-year-old and informed him he will not be sold before the closure of the transfer window on September 1.

He told the club's official website: “I have informed Saido that he will not be transferred during this summer window and that he is staying at the club.

“As I have made clear from the moment Tottenham lodged their first bid for Saido on August 18, selling our top goalscorer was never on our agenda this summer.

“Our plans have always been based on Saido being part of our squad for the 2015-16 season.

“But there are two other good reasons why he will not be sold.

“Firstly, had we ever entertained the notion of selling him we have not received an offer anywhere near attractive enough from Tottenham Hotspur.

“Not only have the offers been too low as a valuation of the player, but they have been based on stage-payments and add-ons over a long period which do nothing to reflect Saido’s ability and potential."

Berahino was left out of West Brom's defeat to Chelsea on Sunday due to the issues regarding his future, with Tony Pulis bemoaning the window remaining open while the season is ongoing.

And Peace reiterated his manager's thoughts and criticised the timing of Tottenham's bids.

“I have the greatest respect for Daniel Levy but he must surely appreciate we would have needed to replace Saido had he left and no consideration of that position has been reflected by Tottenham’s strategy.

“It has contributed to our completing our last two games without a key player.

“I have spoken to Saido and of course I have sympathy for him. He has been unsettled and distracted by all this and I understand that.

“But I have strongly advised him to put this behind him and get back to what he does best which is to work hard for the team and score goals for Albion."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Advocaat targets further Sunderland signings after Toivonen arrival

advocaat-cropped_1otwh4kx9bl9uz61pbybf969h.jpg

By Patric Ridge2
Aug 28, 2015 17:35:05

The Black Cats are aiming to bring in more players before Tuesday's summer transfer deadline, but the manager ruled out a deal for Jonathan de Guzman

Dick Advocaat is still looking to add to his Sunderland squad before the transfer window closes, but he has revealed that Jonathan de Guzman will not be among the new recruits.

Sunderland confirmed the signing of Ola Toivonen on Friday - the midfielder arriving on loan from Ligue 1 side Rennes - with Advocaat delighted to have secured the Swede, who he managed at PSV.

However, De Guzman - heavily linked with a move to the Stadium of Light from Napoli - is no longer on their radar after talks over the Netherlands international came to nothing.

"I'm very happy with the signing [of Toivonen], and we're still working on one or two other players, but we'll see what happens next week," said Advocaat.

"He is a really good player with a good touch and finish who will give options behind the striker. We were looking at that area but now we know De Guzman won't happen. That's the reason we've brought in Toivonen.

"I want to maybe improve defence and up front, but in the last games of last season the defence was brilliant and I think they will get back to that level so I want to give them that chance."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Official: Lopes leaves Man City for Monaco

lopes-cropped_1pve2qejcwjwk13kwgb71hdqit.jpg

By Patric Ridge7
Aug 28, 2015 15:34:11

Having failed to make an impact at the Etihad Stadium, making just five senior outings over four years, the 20-year-old has moved to the Ligue 1 outfit on a five-year deal

Manchester City have confirmed that midfielder Marcos 'Rony' Lopes has joined Monaco.

The 20-year-old joined City from Benfica in 2011, going on to make just five senior appearances - including a goalscoring debut in the League Cup.

Lopes enjoyed a loan spell with Lille last season, scoring three goals in 27 games, and has now secured a switch to the Stade Louis II on a five-year deal.

"Sorry I couldn't say proper bye to my teammates," Lopes posted on his official Twitter account.

"I know Manchester City will win many titles, and I would like

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis on unsettled Berahino: He's not a lump of meat

saidoberahino-cropped_64nfzbab93d1w23pp8qdme76.jpg

By Jack Davies2
Aug 28, 2015 15:48:30

The manager has said the transfer saga surrounding the Tottenham target has been disruptive for West Brom but hopes to now be able to draw a line under the interest

West Brom head coach Tony Pulis has bemoaned the ongoing transfer saga involving striker Saido Berahino, stressing the player is "not just a lump of meat".

The 22-year-old is a known transfer target for Tottenham, although the arrival of Son Heung-min at White Hart Lane has thrown any potential deal into doubt.

But Pulis - who is hoping to secure the signings of Cardiff City goalkeeper David Marshall and Manchester United defender Jonny Evans before the transfer deadline - is unhappy with the disruption caused.

"The transfer window should close and then the season should start," he said. "Then we wouldn't have all this stuff going on. It's obviously been disruptive for all concerned."

Asked whether Berahino - who West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace has insisted will not be sold - would still be at the club next week, Pulis commented: "I don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

"I wasn't in the discussions that the chairman had with Saido yesterday. I've not seen Saido since. We're training this afternoon and I'll have a chat with the lad when he comes in.

"I'd never say never to anything until it's closed and factual. It's not just about football, it's about the person and it's about the lad. It's about what he's going through and what he's not going through.

"He's not just a lump of meat that people are throwing around. He's got emotions and we're trying to protect him."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho hints at referee influence after poor Chelsea start

jose-mourinho-chelsea-swansea-city-premier-league-08082015_16sis03zln4ip1vedao3c23x3h.jpg

By Eliot Rothwell97
Aug 28, 2015 15:15:24

The manager has suggested that conceding two red cards and two penalties in three games is "not normal" as he looks to close the gap on table-toppers Manchester City

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has hinted that refereeing decisions have contributed to the club's lacklustre start to their Premier League title defence.

The Blues have struggled in the opening stages of the season, failing to find a win until their third fixture, a 3-2 victory away to West Brom, following an opening day draw with Swansea and a 3-0 loss to Manchester City.

Thibaut Courtois was sent off as the Premier League champions kicked off their campaign before captain John Terry was dismissed in the recent narrow victory at the Hawthorns for a pull on Salomon Rondon.

Mourinho claimed the decisions affecting Chelsea's performances are "not normal", hacing conceded two penalties and two red cards - against Swansea and West Brom, respectively - in their first three games.

"I think the most important thing of this start to the season is that it’s not normal that, in three matches, you have two penalties against and play with 10 men twice," Mourinho said.

"That’s the thing that immediately comes to the mind of someone analysing the situation. Apart from that, one match at home, two away, four points."

Chelsea, who sit tenth in the Premier League table after three matches, host Alan Pardew's Crystal Palace on Saturday, hoping to overtake the Eagles and gain a foothold in the top five.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Markovic has Liverpool future - Rodgers

lazarmarkovic-cropped_3gc7rjjdzolh1jymdp1vgiiiq.jpg

By Jack Davies7
Aug 28, 2015 14:18:47

The Red's boss suggested that the winger is still in his plans and hinted that Daniel Sturridge may be edging closer to a return

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insists Lazar Markovic still has a future at Anfield, but will not be drawn on reports of a loan switch.

The Serbia international arrived on Merseyside ahead of the 2014-15 season, but made just 11 Premier League starts during his debut campaign.

Markovic is now said to be close to securing a temporary move to Fenerbahce, although Rodgers is keen to stress he is not closing the door on the 21-year-old.

"Markovic still has a future here," he said. "I won't be commenting on transfers, in or out."

One man to have already left Liverpool is Mario Balotelli, who completed a move back to Milan on loan on Thursday after his own disappointing first season under Rodgers.

"It's a good move for Mario," added Rodgers. "He goes to play and gets a season of playing football in his homeland."

Despite Balotelli's exit, Liverpool are not short on strikers, with Christian Benteke, Danny Ings, Fabio Borini and Divock Origi all at Rodgers' disposal.

Daniel Sturridge will hope he can soon be challenging Benteke for a first-team berth, but Rodgers says the England international, who has been out since April with a hip injury, will not be rushed back.

"There is no timeline," he explained. "He's come back from America. He looks well.

"We will take it week on week. There's no pressure."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Markovic has Liverpool future - Rodgers

klausallofs-cropped_oaotrjrrj00k14hh2th5rinx7.jpg

By Jack Davies7
Aug 28, 2015 14:18:47

The Red's boss suggested that the winger is still in his plans and hinted that Daniel Sturridge may be edging closer to a return

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insists Lazar Markovic still has a future at Anfield, but will not be drawn on reports of a loan switch.

The Serbia international arrived on Merseyside ahead of the 2014-15 season, but made just 11 Premier League starts during his debut campaign.

Markovic is now said to be close to securing a temporary move to Fenerbahce, although Rodgers is keen to stress he is not closing the door on the 21-year-old.

"Markovic still has a future here," he said. "I won't be commenting on transfers, in or out."

One man to have already left Liverpool is Mario Balotelli, who completed a move back to Milan on loan on Thursday after his own disappointing first season under Rodgers.

"It's a good move for Mario," added Rodgers. "He goes to play and gets a season of playing football in his homeland."

Despite Balotelli's exit, Liverpool are not short on strikers, with Christian Benteke, Danny Ings, Fabio Borini and Divock Origi all at Rodgers' disposal.

Daniel Sturridge will hope he can soon be challenging Benteke for a first-team berth, but Rodgers says the England international, who has been out since April with a hip injury, will not be rushed back.

"There is no timeline," he explained. "He's come back from America. He looks well.

"We will take it week on week. There's no pressure."

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

1847452_thumb.jpg

Tottenham 0-0 Everton: Kane and Spurs denied by Howard heroics
The north Londoners remain winless after four games of the new Premier League season after being forced to settle for a point at home to Everton on Saturday afternoon

1754172_thumb.jpg

Bournemouth 1-1 Leicester City: Vardy penalty denies Howe's Cherries
The Foxes striker netted a late spot-kick to ensure that Claudio Ranieri's side maintain their unbeaten start to the season, while the hosts are still without a win at Dean Court

1846592_thumb.jpg

Stoke City 0-1 West Brom: Rondon off the mark as Pulis enjoys winning Britannia return
First-half red cards for Afellay and Adam hampered the Potters as the Venezuela striker pounced to give the visitors all three points

1846562_thumb.jpg

Liverpool 0-3 West Ham: Coutinho sent off in shock defeat
The Hammers cruised to victory following the dismissal of the Brazilian playmaker, but saw captain Mark Noble also sent off in the second half

1846942_thumb.jpg

Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace: Mourinho’s champions stunned by Ward winner
Falcao got off the mark for the hosts but the Premier League champions suffered a rare defeat at Stamford Bridge, with the prospect of back-to-back titles already looking bleak

jeremainlens-cropped_7t0zcr0v7r971j16kr4r0xt10.jpg

Aston Villa 2-2 Sunderland: Lens earns a point for struggling Black Cats
The Black Cats produced an admirable performance to secure a draw after former Manchester City midfielder Scott Sinclair scored twice to give the hosts an advantage

1846822_thumb.jpg

Manchester City 2-0 Watford: Sterling stars as leaders maintain perfect start
The £49 million man opened the scoring at the Etihad before Fernandinho struck to ensure that Manuel Pellegrini's men made it four wins from four so far this season

alex-oxlade-chamberlain-premier-league-newcastle-v-arsenal-290815_ogx2xs16d22k1f3i5xvd1tfnh.jpg

Newcastle 0-1 Arsenal: Coloccini own goal enough for Gunners after Mitrovic red card
The centre-half deflected a second-half strike from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain into his own net, after his team-mate had earlier been shown a straight red for a stamp

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Newcastle wanted to stop us from playing' - Wenger

arsene-wenger-newcastle-united-arsenal-premier-league-29082015_1i8grurk3slze1v4fctk7ply1v.jpg

By Eliot Rothwell
Aug 29, 2015 15:39:29

The Frenchman suggested Steve McClaren's side adopted defensive tactics, but said that he did not see the challenge that resulted in Aleksandar Mitrovic's red card

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes Newcastle United tried to disrupt the Gunners' 1-0 win away at St James' Park.

Magpies defender Fabricio Coloccini deflected an Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain shot into his own net to give Wenger's side a narrow victory.

Newcastle, who are still searching for their first win of the season, were forced to play with ten men for much of the match, following Aleksandar Mitrovic's red card for a stamp on Francis Coquelin after 16 minutes.

But Wenger believes that the Magpies adopted defensive tactics even before the Serbia international's red card.

"Newcastle wanted to stop us from playing and they tried that from the start," the Arsenal manager said.

"It was about patience and nerves. We needed not to rush our game and to wait for our chances and take one of them.

"Newcastle decided from the start to make the game quite physical, we had to keep our nerve and not become aggressive as well."

Asked about the red card for Mitrovic, a decision that attracted the ire of the home fans, Wenger insisted that he missed the incident during live play, but believes television replays suggest that challenge deserved a red card.

"Honestly during the game I didn’t see it," Wenger added.

"I’ve just seen it on television and he didn’t get the ball, it’s a red card.

"Did he do it on purpose? I don’t know.

"It was a strange game after that, they played 15 yards deeper with 10 against nine in the final third.

"We didn’t find the space and they defended well. We are happy in the end to win the three points."

Wenger, who dropped striker Olivier Giroud in favour of Theo Walcott, revealed that Arsenal would be in the market for an "exceptional player" as the end of the transfer wndow edges close.

"We are open if we find an exceptional player in any sector we will do it," Wenger revealed.

"Whether something will happen, I don’t know.

"I expected more space for Theo [Walcott] but after 15 minutes it was a different problem for us.

"There was no space behind their defenders."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho blames himself for Chelsea defeat

1819892_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Aug 29, 2015 17:45:00

The Blues boss says he should have made changes during his side's shock defeat to Crystal Palace but feels that, on the whole, his team did not deserve to lose the game

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says he blames himself for the champions' 2-1 defeat to Crystal Palace at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

The Blues slumped to their second Premier League loss of the season thanks to Joel Ward’s winner after Radamel Falcao had equalised Bakary Sako’s opener.

The result leaves Chelsea eight points behind Manchester City after just four games and Mourinho says he must take his share of the blame for the result.

"I cannot say I had 11 players at the same time performing. To be fair, two or three of them, individual performances were far from good,” he told reporters.

"I blame myself for not changing one of them, because I kept him in the game for 90 minutes. When I made the third change, I realised I needed a fourth."

“If a player is not performing, there are two ways: trust the player and wait for improve, or... have to change. I can go both."

Mourinho did, however, take time out to praise Crystal Palace with Alan Pardew’s side having now taken nine points from their opening four games.

“The first thought is for Palace. They come with everything. Team ready, players ready, fans ready, fantastic spirit,” added the Chelsea boss.

“They were lucky, but they deserved a lot. I think we deserved more, but not deserved to win.

“Finally, the referee, with a big mistake, a clear penalty with the result at 0-0."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers rues 'self-inflicted' Liverpool defeat

brendanrodgers-cropped_15s4fledrxi8d1qk4mdddryilt.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Aug 29, 2015 20:20:00

The Reds brought defeat on themselves during Saturday's Premier League reversal at the hands of the visiting Hammers, according to their Northern Irish manager

Brendan Rodgers felt Liverpool's 3-0 defeat to West Ham at Anfield was "self-inflicted" and lamented the sending-off of Philippe Coutinho.

The Brazilian's dismissal came early in the second half after Manuel Lanzini and Mark Noble had given the visitors a two-goal cushion at the interval, with Diafra Sakho completing the scoring late in the game.

Coutinho was shown yellow cards either side of the break, while Noble was also sent off for a late lunge on Danny Ings, and boss Rodgers felt Liverpool only had themselves to blame.

"It was the overall performance, I felt we disappointed right from the off," he said.

"Once we conceded the early goal we just couldn't get back in the game again - our overall performance with and without the ball will be much better in the future.

"Up to today, the morale and the confidence has been really high. We know today a lot was self-inflicted.

"We gave poor goals away and that was the biggest disappointment, but I'm lucky that I work with an honest group.

"At this level you have to be able to bounce back and that's our job in the next game."

Coutinho received his second caution for a mis-timed tackle on Hammers playmaker Dimitri Payet, with his first booking from referee Kevin Friend having followed another foul on the Frenchman.

When it was put to Rodgers that Coutinho may have been booked initially for dissent, Rodgers added: "He must have really good ears, Kevin.

"He's not that type of player, if he's been booked for that I'll be surprised.

"I thought both sendings-offs were harsh, both Phil and Mark Noble."

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pochettino not concerned about goalless Kane

harrykanecropped_yv862u46yiok1hdk8nytk2a62.jpg

By Russell Greaves
Aug 29, 2015 21:34:00

After a breakthrough 2014-15, the Spurs forward has endured a stuttering start to the new campaign having failed to score in the opening four games but his coach is remaining calm

Mauricio Pochettino believes patience will pay dividends after Harry Kane drew another blank in Tottenham's goalless Premier League draw against Everton.

The England striker was prolific last season, netting 31 goals in all competitions, but he is yet to get off the mark in the early stages of the new campaign.

Tottenham are now winless in four after being held at White Hart Lane on Saturday, with Kane one of numerous players to be thwarted by the impressive Tim Howard and the Spurs coach could only rue the missed opportunities.

"We created a lot of chances. We were better, but in football you have to score. For us it was impossible [against Everton]," Pochettino told Sky Sports.

"But I'm happy with our performance because more is impossible. We are a team, a strong team."

Following the impending international break Tottenham head to Sunderland before kicking off their UEFA Europa League group stage with a home match against Qarabag and despite the lack of goals, the Argentine boss is pleased with Kane's contribution.

"We need to wait. I'm happy with him, his performance, he had two or three chances to score. He just needs to work hard and play.

"[My job] it's only to give the confidence and trusting him. We need to work hard for the next two weeks to prepare for the next game."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hughes fumes at referee Michael Oliver after Stoke defeat to West Brom

markhughes-cropped_uf4qdg35adye1f0png37fsxhe.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Aug 29, 2015 18:40:26

The Welshman was left angered by the officials after the Potters paid the price for an ill-tempered opening 45 minutes against Tony Pulis' Baggies side on Saturday

Stoke City manager Mark Hughes hit out at Michael Oliver's dismissals of Ibrahim Afellay and Charlie Adam following Saturday's 1-0 Premier League home defeat to West Brom.

Hughes' men were reduced to 10 men in the 25th minute at the Britannia Stadium when Afellay was shown a red card for slapping Craig Gardner in a coming together between the two after he had been fouled by the West Brom midfielder.

And, just six minutes later, Adam was also given his marching orders for appearing to stamp on Craig Dawson's leg before West Brom capitalised in first-half injury time as Salomon Rondon scored his first Premier League goal with a fine header from a Rickie Lambert cross.

Despite a spirited second-half showing, Stoke could not overcome the odds to claim a share of the spoils, leaving Hughes to fume at Oliver's decisions.

"I'm delighted with the performance of my team under difficult circumstances," Hughes said in quotes reported by BBC Sport.

"The first red card, Ibrahim Afellay reacted to being flicked in the face. By the letter of the law, maybe they both should have been sent off.

"With the second one, Charlie Adam ends up standing on the lad's leg after the other player had followed through on him. I think it was harsh.

"It's not a stamp, it's a step. To get anything from the game after that was difficult.

"They [the officials] also played a minute too long in the first half and they scored their goal in that time. I asked about that and he said it was because Jack Butland was wasting time. I don't agree with that."

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

No contact from United over Cillessen, claims Overmars

31 August 2015

902366header.jpg

Ajax director of football Marc Overmars says there has been no contact from Manchester United regarding a possible move for goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen.

The Netherlands international has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford in recent weeks, with Real Madrid target David de Gea still out of Louis van Gaal's first-team picture.

A questionable performance from Sergio Romero during United's 2-1 defeat to Swansea City on Sunday added to talk of a late bid from United for Cillessen.

However, Overmars says there is no dialogue between the clubs ahead of Tuesday's deadline day in England.

"There is no contact with Manchester United," he told De Telegraaf.

"I have heard nothing from Manchester United."

Three-time Eredivisie winner Cillessen was given his first international cap by Van Gaal in 2013 and formed part of the Dutch World Cup squad in Brazil last year.

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neil looking to add fresh faces

31 August 2015

902352header.jpg

Norwich City boss Alex Neil has insisted he is happy with his squad but will look to bring in more new faces before Tuesday’s deadline.

Neil, who saw his side beaten 3-0 at Southampton on Sunday, said: "I think everybody wants to try and strengthen the squad.

"We're no different. We'll try and do stuff but if we can't get people in then the squad is the squad.

"We've shown it in the other three games prior today that we're more than capable of doing well at this level.

"If we could strengthen the squad it would give us a better opportunity of doing well over the course of the rest of the season."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sherwood would consider N´Zogbia exit

31 August 2015

902478header.jpg

Tim Sherwood would consider offers for Charles N'Zogbia before the transfer deadline after the winger fell down the pecking order at Aston Villa.

N'Zogbia was part of Sherwood's Villa Park revolution in the second half of last season as the club preserved their Premier League status and reached the FA Cup final, but he has yet to feature this term.

While Sherwood is in no hurry to see the former Wigan Athletic and Newcastle United wideman leave, he admits N'Zogbia is unlikely to see regular football at Villa following a host of close-season arrivals.

"Charles is a good lad," the manager told The Birmingham Mail. "I have never had a problem with him.

"He is training with the group and he is applying himself very well. When I think it is time for him to get a place in the side he will.

"I was looking for experience from him last season and he certainly had that, he is still there and if I need him, I know I can lean on him.

"He is not going to play on a regular basis here so if something becomes attractive to him here then we can have a conversation and will talk about it."

Sherwood has rejected talk of Gabriel Agbonlahor leaving Villa Park, though, despite the striker failing to score in any of his last 11 matches - a run that stretches back to mid-March.

"He [Agbonlahor] has a huge part to play because we bought a lot of new boys into the club," Sherwood added. "The likes of him and Ciaran Clark and [Ashley] Westwood have a crucial part role to play in that dressing room this year.

"I don't underestimate the role he plays at this club and it is crucial for a manager to have some lieutenants, and he is one of them."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Borini completes Sunderland switch

31 August 2015

902596header.jpg

Liverpool striker Fabio Borini has completed a move to Sunderland on a four-year contract.

The Italy international previously spent the 2013-14 Premier League season on loan at the Stadium of Light.

"I am delighted to be back at Sunderland," he told the club's official website. "It is a club I know really well from my time here previously.

"It will be emotional for me to play at the Stadium of Light again and I can't wait to get back on the pitch as a Sunderland player."

Head coach Dick Advocaat added: "Fabio is a great addition to the squad who will make our front line stronger.

"He can play in a number of attacking positions which is a huge benefit to the team."

Borini endured a difficult time at Anfield having failed to become a first-team regular following his arrival from Roma in 2012.

The 24-year-old scored 10 goals in all competitions during his previous stint on Wearside.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Southampton recruit young goalkeeper Lewis

31 August 2015

902676header.jpg

Southampton have confirmed the signing of 17-year-old goalkeeper Harry Lewis from League One outfit Shrewsbury Town.

The England youth international will work with both the Under-18 and Under-21 sides at St Mary's Stadium after signing a three-year professional contract.

"I think just looking round the place you can see it is a fantastic football club with brilliant facilities and excellent coaching staff," he told the club's official website.

"I think it was a no-brainer really for me to make this move. I’ve been at Shrewsbury since I was eight and it is my hometown club.

"I'm always going to be close to them but when an opportunity like this comes around you don't say no.

"I'm here to get better as a footballer and get as many chances as I can. That's the most important thing for me."