• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koeman stands firm over Mane exit rumours

20 August 2015

896588header.jpg

Ronald Koeman insists that Southampton will be selling no more key players this year, amid intense speculation linking Sadio Mane with a move to Manchester United.

The winger, who started Saints' 1-1 UEFA Europa League draw with Midtjylland on Thursday, is reportedly a target for Louis van Gaal.

Southampton have already lost Nathaniel Clyne and Morgan Schneiderlin during the close-season to Liverpool and United respectively and Koeman is keen to keep his star players at St. Mary's Stadium.

The south-coast club are desperate not to follow a similar route to the one that saw Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, Rickie Lambert, Calum Chambers and Dejan Lovren depart, meaning Mane may be forced to stay whether he likes it or not.

Koeman said: "Nobody is for sale, we will do everything to keep the best players here. We want to continue with these players and that's the most important thing.

"This is the worst situation for smaller clubs. We have to deal with the rumours from the press and maybe [leaked] from Manchester United.

"No-one talks about the best players of [Manchester] City, United or Chelsea.

"It's not nice but everybody knows we don't sell any more players. We keep going – nobody is going away from Southampton."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

1816292_thumb.jpg

Sunderland 1-1 Swansea City: Defoe secures draw after Gomis opener
The Swans striker threatened to continue the Black Cats' recent misery when he scored just before half-time but the former England international rescued a point

1815662_thumb.jpg

West Ham 3-4 Bournemouth: Wilson stars as Cherries stun 10-man Hammers
The 23-year-old forward grabbed a hat-trick at Upton Park as Slaven Bilic's side slipped to a second consecutive defeat despite scoring three goals of their own

1815812_thumb.jpg

Norwich City 1-1 Stoke City: Butland on form in tight contest
Mark Hughes's Potters remain winless in the Premier League after a closely contested draw at Carrow Road against the newly promoted Canaries on Saturday afternoon

1816592_thumb.jpg

Crystal Palace 2-1 Aston Villa: Sako the hero with late winner
The new signing from Wolves struck late on after Pape Souare's own goal had equalised Scott Dann's opener for the Eagles

1816342_thumb.jpg

Leicester City 1-1 Tottenham: Mahrez strikes again to deny Spurs
The north Londoners have picked up just two points, with a stunning goal from the dangerous Algerian cancelling out Dele Alli's opener and keeping the Foxes' unbeaten run intact

1815022_thumb.jpg

Manchester United 0-0 Newcastle United: Poor finishing costs Van Gaal's side
Tim Krul made a couple of key saves and Chris Smalling headed against the post as the Red Devils were unable to break down Steve McClaren's team at Old Trafford

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Scholes slams Man Utd: Title winners? You've got to beat teams like Newcastle

hdp-wayne-rooney-manchester-united-newcastle-premier-league-22082015_1s2k98rnee4zw1jed0orsiu9gw.jpg

By Tom Beck
Aug 22, 2015 14:48:06

The pundit was far from impressed after watching his former side fail to beat the Magpies at Old Trafford and questioned the team's title tilt after the draw

Manchester United legend Paul Scholes has slammed Louis van Gaal's side for failing to beat Newcastle on Saturday.

Aleksandar Mitrovic struck the woodwork with a header in the first-half and substitute Florian Thauvin almost snatted all three points for the visitors in the dying moments but both sides were forced to share the points.

The Red Devils dominated their opponents in possession and chances but despite back to back victories in the opening weeks of the Premier League, Scholes is unconvinced by United's title chances.

"There's a real lack of excitement - a lack of quality, more than anything," he told BT Sport.

"It's okay having pace on the pitch, which we don't tend to have, but a real sense of quality [is lacking] and a bit of urgency.

"Newcastle at home, you should be beating them. If you're going to win the league, you need to be winning these types of games."

Wayne Rooney continued his domestic goal drought, having not scored in the league since April, and retired midfielder Scholes believes Louis Van Gaal's team didn't deserve victory.

"I just don't think they did enough," the 40-year-old added.

"You have to give Tim Krul special credit for a great save from [Javier Hernandez but], really, did they have a lot to defend against? I don't think so."

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Butland braves broken finger to save Stoke

jackbutland-cropped_1v2pxj8w49ufo10cdod1psejgx.jpg

By Tom Beck
Aug 22, 2015 18:35:14

The Potters number one injured himself in the draw with the Canaries but remained on the field to help his side claim their second point of the season with an outstanding display

Stoke City manager Mark Hughes revealed goalkeeper Jack Butland produced his superb performance against Norwich City while playing with a broken finger.

The visitors took the lead in Saturday's Premier League clash at Carrow Road after 11 minutes as Mame Biram Diouf headed home debutant Xherdan Shaqiri's right-wing free-kick.

Stoke were pegged back after a low strike from Norwich captain Russell Martin shortly after and Hughes had his young stopper to thank for keeping out Cameron Jerome and Graeme Dorrans late on.

"I am happy. We had a decent amount of play in the first half, but didn't create a great deal, the conditions took the edge off our game," he said.

"In the end, we are grateful for a number of saves from Jack Butland, who was outstanding.

At the moment, Jack has a broken finger as well, so that shows the strength of character he has."

Stoke broke their transfer record this summer with the £12m signing of Switzerland international winger Shaqiri from Italian outfit Inter Milan.

And the former Manchester City boss Hughes reckons the 23-year-old, who demonstrated his creativity to provide the assist for the game's opener, will prove to be an important player for his team.

"Xherdan Shaqiri will get better the longer he is with us, but you can see that he will be a key player for us," he added.

"He hasn't played much, but the 90 minutes will do him the world of good."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea did well to sell 'crying' De Bruyne - Mourinho

kevin-de-bruyne-wolfsburg-supercup-01082015_11g08ldb5ic9i12vw2ciz8f121.jpg

By Joe Wright
Aug 22, 2015 08:54:57

The Blues boss is adamant he does not regret the decision to offload the Belgian - especially given the rise of Eden Hazard since his countryman's departure

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho insists he was right to sell Kevin De Bruyne to Wolfsburg as the player was "crying every day to leave".

The Belgium international has established himself as one of the brightest attacking talents in the Bundesliga since leaving Stamford Bridge in January 2014, and Manchester City have been pushing hard to bring the player back to the Premier League.

But Mourinho is adamant that Chelsea made the right call to allow De Bruyne to leave as he does not believe the 24-year-old would have blossomed in the same way had he been forced to stay in west London.

"With De Bruyne, if you have a player knocking on your door and crying every day he wants to leave, you have to make a decision. At that time, Chelsea did well," Mourinho told reporters.

"If De Bruyne stayed here, not happy and not motivated, and we'd sold him after a year, we'd have got less - 50 per cent less than we sold him for. So we sold him. At that moment, it was very good business.

"If somebody comes and pays for him what somebody would pay for Messi or Cristiano, it looks from the eyes of the world that it's bad business from us.

"But, if he was at Chelsea and not at Wolfsburg, he wouldn't have reached this level. It was like a wall, a block. He was not ready to compete. He was an upset kid, training very bad.

"He always said he had trained well in his life, but he needs motivation to train well by playing every game. Andre Schurrle a bit the same."

Mourinho also believes that the decision to oust De Bruyne has been vindicated by the rise of Eden Hazard, who has flourished during his three years with the Blues.

"If you think it [De Bruyne's sale] is my mistake, then it's my mistake that Eden Hazard is worth more than £100 million," he added.

"What I cannot do is bring us up to a certain level and then not play him. If I don't play Hazard and play De Bruyne or Andre Schurrle, they would have been playing for Chelsea, but Hazard wouldn't."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea on course for the treble, jokes Mourinho

1790412_heroa.jpg

Aug 22, 2015 09:30:00

The self-proclaimed 'Special One' has reminded critics that he enjoyed historic campaigns at Porto and Inter despite making disappointing starts as the Blues look for their firs...

Jose Mourinho has jokingly predicted that Chelsea will win the treble this year, despite their disappointing start to the new campaign.

The Portuguese coach claims his side’s 2-2 draw with Swansea City in their first game of the season has mirrored similarly disappointing results in the opening game of treble-winning seasons at Porto and Inter.

But Mourinho has another, less encouraging superstition he has to deal with too: losing to managers with surnames beginning with ‘P’.

His last six Premier League defeats have come against sides managed by Tony Pulis, Gus Poyet, Alan Pardew, Mauricio Pochettino and Manuel Pellegrini – and next up is a trip to take on Pulis’ West Brom at the Hawthorns.

“I wouldn't mind to go to the superstitious side of the game: I never win against a P," he told reporters.

“And seasons where I start with a 2-2 at home, I win the treble. Porto, Inter v Bari, 2-2 against Swansea. So maybe this season... the treble?”

Contrary to Mourinho’s claim, Inter in fact drew 1-1 with Bari the year they won the treble, but Porto began their trophy-filled 2002-03 campaign with a 2-2 draw at home to Belenenses.

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pochettino frustrated as Tottenham let more points slip

mauriciopochettino-cropped_577oyd9xjhct1halpgvur2b3j.jpg

By Dom Farrell
Aug 22, 2015 18:59:04

The Argentine manager has voiced his concern after Spurs let a winning lead slip for the second time in as many matches at the King Power Stadium on Saturday

Tottenham head coach Mauricio Pochettino conceded that Saturday's 1-1 Premier League draw at Leicester City was a difficult result for him to stomach.

Dele Alli came off the bench to net his first goal for Spurs in the 81st minute with a diving header from Nacer Chadli's chipped cross, seemingly setting Pochettino's team on course for their first win of the season.

However, Leicester found an instant response following the restart as Riyad Mahrez struck his fourth goal of the early season to ensure a share of the points and spoil Pochettino's mood.

"Until we scored I think that we deserved to win but at the end we made some mistakes," the former Espanyol boss said.

"We conceded a chance and they scored.

"It is a shame because I think we dominated in the second half. In the first half it was 50/50 - a difficult game for both teams.

"It is difficult to accept that we conceded the draw."

For the second time in as many weeks, Tottenham failed to chalk up a victory from a winning position and following another late collapse, Pochettino accepts it is an issue that must be addressed.

"We need to improve and compete better because against Stoke we were 2-0 up and conceded two goals in the last few minutes - and now again," he added.

"This is now my focus and concern for the next week, to try to improve - to compete much better than today and than in the last game against Stoke City."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: United not selling De Gea

22 August 2015 05:51

897174header.jpg

Manager Louis van Gaal said Manchester United are not selling David de Gea as uncertainty continues to surround the unsettled goalkeeper.

Real Madrid want to sign De Gea - out of contract at the end of the 2015-16 season - but the La Liga giants have been unable to reach an agreement with United.

United are believed to be holding out for a fee reportedly in excess of £30million for De Gea, who is yet to feature in the squad this term.

Though, Van Gaal has no intentions of parting with the Spain international before the transfer window shuts.

"When we buy it has to be a contribution to our solution and not against any price," the Dutchman told reporters.

"I think when Manchester United wants a player he shall come, apart from when the club are not selling. Then it is the same as it us for us, like we are not selling De Gea."

Van Gaal was in a bullish mood after he was quizzed about United's perceived defeat in the race to sign Pedro, who joined Premier League rivals Chelsea instead on Thursday.

The former Netherlands manager insisted he is not under pressure to invest further, having already signed Memphis Depay, Morgan Schneiderlin, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Matteo Darmian.

"We have 28 players and I have said we have a better balanced selection, but we want to improve, we want to improve at our way and not at the way that [other] people want," added Van Gaal.

"You can see my selection and in every position we have two players, we don't have to change, but when we can improve we shall do that, but in our way."

United host Newcastle United at Old Trafford on Saturday.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool to wait on Henderson recovery

22 August 2015 11:23

897229header.jpg

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says captain Jordan Henderson will be assessed over the next two days after suffering a foot injury against Bournemouth.

Henderson was forced off at Anfield in Liverpool's 1-0 win on Monday, Rodgers later explaining the midfielder had taken painkillers to play in the match.

With the England international yet to shake off the problem with the bottom of his foot, Rodgers stated he will be given every chance to prove his fitness.

"We're just assessing Jordan day by day," Rodgers said on Saturday.

"He's obviously had the problem with his foot, but we'll see how he goes over the next 48 hours and take it from there.

"There are just one or two players that we'll assess, but hopefully we'll be otherwise unchanged."

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Official: Chelsea sign Kenedy from Fluminense

1817312_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Aug 22, 2015 20:00:00

The Premier League champions have confirmed the arrival of the 19-year-old attacker who will wear the No.16 shirt at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea have confirmed they have completed the signing of Brazilian youngster Kenedy from Fluminense.

The 19-year-old has already featured for the Blues having joined up with Jose Mourinho's side on their pre-season tour of the United States and playing in the friendly against Barcelona in Washington.

Kenedy will wear the No.16 shirt at Stamford Bridge and says he is looking forward to making at impact for the Blues.

"I am very happy to complete my transfer to Chelsea," he told the club's official website.

"It is an exciting time for me to join the English Premier League champions and I hope I can become an important player for the club.

"I very much enjoyed my time with the squad during pre-season and I am very grateful to Fluminense for allowing me this opportunity."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: Fellaini will play as a forward this season

1802462_heroa.jpg

By Kris Voakes in Bruges123
Aug 25, 2015 18:31:00

The Manchester United manager has revealed that he expects the Belgian, usually deployed as a midfielder, to spend most of his time this campaign as an attacker

Louis van Gaal says Marouane Fellaini will play as a striker for Manchester United this season.

Speaking to reporters ahead of their Champions League play-off second leg clash with Club Brugge, Van Gaal said: "He can play as a no.9 and a no.10, and he can also play as a no.6 and no.8.

"This year he wiil play more as a no.9 and no.10 rather than 6 and 8 because there we have other players."

Fellaini struggled in his first term at Old Trafford under David Moyes but bounced back to have a moderately successful 2014-15 season.

He has missed the first three league games of the current campiagn due to suspension, but snatched a crucial late goal in the first leg with Brugge at Old Trafford to give United a key 3-1 lead.

And the 27-year-old Belgian says he has no quarms about stepping in among the forward line.

"In the past I have played no.9 and no.10. I have to help the team. I can play there," he insisted.

"It's not important where I play, the most important thing is to win the game. Of course it's different but I enjoy all the positions I can play in."

And he added that he is looking forward to backing up his improvement last term with another season of key contributions.

"Everyone knows my first season was difficult, but now it's in the past. I look forward," he added.

"Last season I did quite well and I want to continue. I know my team-mates, the manager and his philosophy. I am looking to do well and score goals."

United take a two-goal lead to the Jan Breydelstadion on Wednesday, but Van Gaal insists his players cannot get ahead of themselves and agreed that this represents their biggest game of the season.

"It was our aim to participate in the Champions League. We are still not there yet, it's very important," he added.

"We have to play the game, at the end you have to have scored one goal more than the opponent. They have beaten Greek opponents [Panathinaikos] 3-0, they are capable of doing that with the suppoot of their fans."

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Martinez hopeful of completing Mori & Rodriguez signings

robertomartinez-cropped_1areqvmpmsiri1hd32li3vv564.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson0
Aug 25, 2015 18:42:09

The Toffees are keen to bolster their squad before the transfer deadline and the South American duo have been identified as potential acquisitions by the Spaniard

Everton manager Roberto Martinez is hopeful of signing South American duo Ramiro Funes Mori and Leandro Rodriguez before the transfer deadline, but has cooled speculation regarding the possible acquisition of Andriy Yarmolenko.

River Plate centre-back Mori was at Goodison Park for Sunday's 2-0 defeat to Manchester City, with the Toffees keen to lure him to England in the coming days.

The 24-year-old could be joined by River Plate Montevideo striker Rodriguez, but Martinez has remained coy on a possible move for Yarmolenko.

On Mori, Martinez told reporters: "That's the only one I can speak about because he has been with us, we have permission from River Plate.

"At the moment it hasn't been concluded but we feel positive about the outcome. We have a very good relationship with River Plate and we hope that we can get Ramiro as an Everton player over the next few hours.

"We're quite confident we can get the points needed to get the work permit.

"That's the only name I can discuss because there have been too many names that are way off the mark.

"Leandro [is a] very talented young man, from window to window we always keep an eye on those with a real potential to reach a good level with the first team.

"At the moment there is nothing to announce but he would fit into that outstanding young talent like with Mason Holgate. He's a player we'd love to get a positive outcome on."

Martinez - who did not comment on the speculation regarding Chelsea's interest in John Stones - added of Yarmolenko: "I can't get into any details or transfer speculation in players leaving or arriving.

"I'm trying to give as much clarity as I can in naming names that we have permission to speak about but anything else there is nothing to comment."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramsey calls for technology after disallowed Arsenal goal

aaronramseycropped_q9enbg0gz0j21qrznluy745mx.jpg

By Peter Thompson19
Aug 25, 2015 15:02:14

The Welshman believes the Premier League should follow the lead of rugby by introducing a video review system for contentious goals after Monday's stalemate with Liverpool

Aaron Ramsey has called for the introduction of video technology after seeing a goal disallowed for offside during Arsenal's goalless draw with Liverpool on Monday.

Ramsey thought he had put Arsene Wenger's side in front when he slotted home after only 10 minutes of Monday's Premier League encounter at the Emirates Stadium.

However, the 24-year-old's effort was ruled out despite replays showing he was onside and the Wales international believes the powers that be at the Premier League should follow the lead of rugby by utilising technology.

"I thought I held my run a bit, I thought I was onside, but I obviously took a glance over to make sure and saw the flag was up," Ramsey told reporters.

"The replays suggest I was onside; it should have stood – but obviously the linesman thought it was offside. At the end of the day we should have been 1-0 up. To look at a video for 20 seconds would have maybe changed the outcome of the game.

"I think we could take a leaf out of rugby – they do it really well. You see it on the screens, they go off for 20 seconds and they get the decision right in the end.

"We tried to push for the goal, but it didn't quite happen. A few times they went on the counterattack and you need all your players to perform on a night like that."

Arsenal have now failed to score in five of their last six Premier League matches at the Emirates Stadium and lie ninth in the table after three matches, five points adrift of early leaders Manchester City.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sakho arrested over 'threats to kill' allegations

diafrasakho-cropped_1hie0xu9o12a11c8g5uoz4cwzb.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson4
Aug 25, 2015 12:55:53

The West Ham forward has been arrested by police and bailed until October on suspicion of threats to kill and witness intimidation

West Ham striker Diafra Sakho has been arrested by police on suspicion of threats to kill and witness intimidation.

The Senegal international was arrested and bailed earlier this month on suspicion of common assault, criminal damage and malicious communication.

And the 25-year-old was apprehended again on Sunday, with officers bailing the forward until October.

A statement from the Metropolitan Police read: "On Sunday, 23 August, officers from Havering arrested a man on suspicion of threats to kill and witness intimidation.

"The 25-year-old was arrested at an address in Emerson Park, Hornchurch.

"He was taken to an east London police station and has since been bailed pending further enquires to a date in early October."

Sakho, who signed for West Ham from Metz in August 2014, has featured in all three of the Hammers' Premier League games this season following his initial arrest.

A spokesman for the player told The Sun on Monday: "Diafra Sakho has not been charged with any offence.

"He vigorously denies the allegations that have been made against him, and has given the police a complete explanation of events.

"He will not be making any further comment."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neil remains defiant on Bournemouth target Grabban

26 August 2015 08:58

899430header.jpg

Norwich City manager Alex Neil says Lewis Grabban will not be allowed to leave Carrow Road on the cheap, amid interest from former club Bournemouth.

Grabban's debut campaign at Norwich returned 12 goals as the Carrow Road club earned promotion via the Championship play-offs last season, but he has not been a regular in the Premier League so far this term.

Since starting Norwich's opening day defeat to Crystal Palace, Grabban has seemingly become a peripheral figure in Neil's plans, but that will not pave the way for a swift exit from Norfolk.

"I don't have any issue with any players. He might have an issue but I will quickly fix it," Neil told The Pink'Un.

"Regardless of what happens or what rumours are flying about or what others might say or do that will have absolutely no bearing on what happens with Lewis Grabban or any player at this club.

"We have rejected three bids from Bournemouth so far and the bids that we have are nowhere near the valuation of the player. Until they get to an acceptable level, Lewis Grabban will remain a Norwich City player.

"That is where we stand. Anything that happens behind closed doors will stay behind closed doors and that will always remain the case while I am manager.

"As far as I am concerned the bottom line is he is a Norwich player. Every player has got their price but it has to be our valuation, not what they think."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valencia clarifies West Ham criticism of injury treatment

26 August 2015 17:46

899664header.jpg

Enner Valencia insists he has confidence in West Ham's medical team after criticising the club's treatment of his injury.

Valencia injured his leg during the UEFA Europa League meeting with Astra Giurgiu at the start of the month and was ruled out for up to three months.

In an interview with Ecuadorian radio station La Deportiva, Valencia claimed he was not receiving the support he felt he deserved from the club and that he had been denied permission to get a second opinion on the injury.

But the Ecuador international forward has since clarified his remarks, vowing to return to action as soon as he is able.

"I have had a number of consultation meetings with specialists in London, accompanied by members of the club's medical staff, and they have always kept me updated me on my injury," he said.

"It has been a frustrating time, but I would like to make clear that I have the utmost respect and confidence in the club's medical team and the specialists I was referred to and I would like to apologise to them and the club for any issues arising from the recent press coverage.

"I will continue to work as hard as I can with them to return to help the team as quickly as possible, and continue the good start I made to the season.

"It is not possible to put an exact date on when I might be back on the pitch, but you can be rest assured that I am motivated to get fit and score more goals for West Ham United as soon as I can."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wolves reject third Norwich bid for Afobe

26 August 2015 18:05

899680header.jpg

Wolves have rejected a third bid from Norwich City for striker Benik Afobe.

The Championship club confirmed the news in a short statement on Wednesday, having rebuffed a second approach from the Premier League side last week and previously stated that none of their first-team forward players would be sold.

Manager Kenny Jackett insisted that stance had not altered after Tuesday's 2-1 League Cup win over Barnet.

Wolves' statement on the latest Afobe bid read: "Wolves can confirm that a third bid from Norwich City for Benik Afobe has been immediately rejected.

"The club's position, outlined on Wednesday, 19th August 2015, remains unchanged.

Afobe joined Wolves from Arsenal in January and has quickly become a talisman for the Midlands club, scoring 16 goals in all competitions.

After netting 13 times for Wolves last campaign, the 22-year-old scored in their opening day win at Blackburn Rovers and was also on target in a League Cup first-round success against Newport County and last Wednesday's 3-2 defeat to QPR.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Everton to reject Stones´ transfer request - Martinez

27 August 2015 00:11

899872header.jpg

Everton will reject John Stones' transfer request, with manager Roberto Martinez declaring the central defender is "a vital part" of the club's future.

Martinez hailed Stones' professionalism as the 21-year-old overcame ongoing speculation to help his team advance in the League Cup on Wednesday - Everton coming from two goals down at half-time to defeat Barnsley 5-3 in extra time.

Speaking after the second-round match, Martinez confirmed Stones had submitted a transfer request, but claimed Everton have no interest in accepting it and will reject it on Thursday.

"Today was a match day, the game was more important," said the Spaniard.

A former Barnsley youth product - Stones played his fourth straight match alongside Everton captain Phil Jagielka in central defence to begin this season.

Chelsea are reportedly Stones' main suitors, although Manchester City are also thought to be interested.

"I thought he [Stones] was incredible," Martinez told Sky Sports.

"He came through Barnsley ranks and it shows what a terrific job they do here.

"We need to protect players during this transfer window; he was a real example of how to perform under pressure.

"Our fans know that all we are doing is to try to become better and John is a massive part of that. We have a clear idea of life and in football and John is a vital part of our future."

Martinez also reserved praise for Barnsley, who led 2-0 at the interval through goals from Sam Winnall and Marley Watkins, and took the lead again at 3-2 thanks to Dan Crowley on the hour mark.

But the League One club could not hold on for a famous victory, with Romelu Lukaku notching an equaliser with 12 minutes remaining, before scoring in extra time to round off Everton's victory, following Marc Roberts' own goal.

"I thought first and foremost Barnsley were superb. They scored goals, they were dynamic, they were fantastic," Martinez said.

"In the first half we were a little bit slow. From that point on it became I really open game, a fantastic game to watch."

On Everton's comeback, Martinez added: "It was more about the attitude, the experienced players more than anyone. We knew that first half performance wasn't acceptable for our standards."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ozil defends United recruit Schweinsteiger

27 August 2015 01:59

899903header.jpg

Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil believes Germany team-mate Bastian Schweinsteiger is being unfairly judged following his move to Manchester United.

Debate has raged as to whether Schweinsteiger's 31-year-old body can hold up to the demands of the Premier League after leaving boyhood club Bayern Munich for United in July.

Schweinsteiger – yet to complete a full match as a United player - produced a classy second-half cameo as Louis van Gaal's men qualified for the UEFA Champions League group stage via a 4-0 second-leg win at Club Brugge.

Ozil is in no doubt that the Germany captain will silence his critics over the course of the season.

"The drastic interim judgment in [the] English press is not fair towards him," Ozil told Germany's Sport 1.

"He certainly needs some time to adjust to Premier League. Just allow him a bit of time.

"Basti has shown the whole world at the World Cup what a leader he is, most of all in the final.

"Whenever the English media writes about Bastian, they put a World Cup winner before his name.

"He's now the German world champion, who should make the difference for United."

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Carroll nears West Ham return

27 August 2015 04:43

899936header.jpg

West Ham striker Andy Carroll is nearing a return after resuming training with the first-team squad ahead of their Liverpool clash.

Carroll, 26, has been sidelined since February after undergoing knee surgery, with his past two Premier League seasons hit by injury.

The nine-time England international is approaching a return, with the club confirming on Wednesday that the striker was back training.

"I want to start this week with some really positive news," the club's head of medical and sports science Stijn Vandenbroucke said.

"Andy Carroll trained with the first-team squad on Tuesday and he will continue to do so as he continues to build up his match fitness ahead of a competitive return to action."

In other injury news for West Ham, who visit Anfield on Saturday, Diafra Sakho (adductor strain) is a chance to play, while Mauro Zarate (hamstring) is unlikely to feature.

Joey O'Brien (calf) will remain in rehabilitation for the next seven to 10 days.

After their impressive win at Arsenal in their opening league game, West Ham have suffered losses to Leicester City and Bournemouth to put manager Slaven Bilic under early pressure.