• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal offer aid to Syrian refugee crisis

arsene-wenger_1v3s7dwde64m61vx33zgckfe9f.jpg

By Jamie Dunn
Sep 10, 2015 14:30:59

Arsene Wenger has called the need to help those fleeing the war-torn country for Europe "immediate" as the Gunners team up with Save the Children

Arsenal will donate £1 for every ticket sold for their Premier League meeting with Stoke City at the Emirates Stadium to Save the Children's Refugee Crisis Appeal.

A number of football clubs, including Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich have all pledged money to aid those who have fled conflict in Syria and arrived in their respective countries.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has called for other clubs to contribute in a similar way in order to offer significant help to those in need.

"The need is immediate so we decided to be immediately helpful," Wenger told the club's official website.

"You know that we are always involved with a helpful attitude, we have our own foundations and charity and this is a special case where people are in the need of special help.

"It's an exceptional circumstance and I'm very happy that our club contributes to help refugees to settle in countries where they come without anything. We'll give £1 for every ticket sold [against Stoke] and if everyone can contribute like we do then I think we can give very, very strong help."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gerrard wishes Liverpool had offered him coaching role

steven-gerrard-cropped_1c89ew0bq17og1t466dpqns7ox.jpg

Omnisport
Sep 11, 2015 00:32:00

The former Reds captain has admitted he misses playing for the club and feels he would've been the perfect man to replace assistants Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh

Steven Gerrard has revealed he would have stayed at Liverpool this season had he been offered a coaching role by manager Brendan Rodgers.

The LA Galaxy midfielder stunned Liverpool fans back in January when he announced plans to move to MLS after he became frustrated by protracted contract negotiations.

Gerrard has since spoken of his desire one day to return to Anfield, although the 35-year-old - who made 504 Premier League appearances for the club he captained with distinction - is surprised that chance was not offered before he made the decision to quit Merseyside.

"I might be contradicting myself here but what would have kept me at Liverpool into this season was the chance of shadowing Brendan Rodgers and his staff as well as playing," Gerrard told the Daily Mail.

"Those ideas were only mentioned to me after I had announced I was leaving.

"I don't know if I am going to be good enough to be a manager, or a number one, number two, number three or number four.

"Liverpool replaced coaches Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh in the summer, so they were looking for a new number two, or number three or number four. I would have been tailor-made to fill one of these roles, as well as making myself available as a squad player.

"I could have been a good squad player, a good sub, as well as getting management experience that money can't buy."

Instead, Gerrard is in America and is still experiencing mixed emotions about his Liverpool departure.

He added: "Yeah, I do miss it. I miss everything about it. When I switch on the TV and see the stadiums, with 50, 60, 70,000 people - the aggression, the intensity, the tension. I am jealous.

"I miss the build-up, competing with better players, I miss being Steven Gerrard, Liverpool captain and walking out in front of my people with that pressure and trying to get a result for them.

"As much as I am enjoying it out here with a fresh challenge, I'd like nothing better than being 25 again and with 10 years ahead of me in the Premier League, playing for Liverpool, but I've had my time."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: I bought Martial for Giggs

louis-van-gaal-ryan-giggs-manchester-united_76pwpn8vjne21fbeo082onfh5.jpg

By Stephen Creek
Sep 10, 2015 12:00:19

The Manchester United manager has admitted his marquee summer signing will be of more benefit to his successor due to his young age and expects his assistant to take over next

Louis van Gaal has revealed he expects Ryan Giggs to be the next Manchester United manager and believes the signing of Anthony Martial will be of more benefit to his successor than himself.

Martial moved from Monaco to Old Trafford in a deal reported to be worth as much as €80 million - a fee Van Gaal dubbed "ridiculous" - on transfer deadline day.

Speaking to at an event for United's executive season-ticket holders on Wednesday, the Dutchman described the money spent on the 19-year-old as evidence of "the crazy world we are in".

"I have not bought Martial for me, I have bought him for the next manager of Manchester United," Van Gaal said.

Referencing Giggs, he added: "I feel I am introducing the next manager of Manchester United."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger on Arsenal's transfer window: There was nobody worth buying

arsene-wenger-on-the-season-ahead_1wocst2dwpyky185hqvhbmzpjy.jpg

By Eliot Rothwell
Sep 10, 2015 09:27:52

The Gunners boss insists that the quality in the market failed to meet the standards required at the Emirates Stadium and backs his forward players to score goals this season

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has defended his refusal to buy any outfield players this summer, arguing that none of the available players were worth bringing in.

The Gunners signed goalkeeper Petr Cech from Chelsea early in the window, prompting widespread optimism from fans, but no further arrivals followed.

Wenger had been interested in recruiting Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema but neither the club nor player wished him to leave and Arsenal's hopes faded to nothing.

And Wenger says that the alternatives were not worth considering, telling reporters: "In the end, the solutions were not what we wanted. We looked but you have to find an efficient solution.

"Look at what happened on the transfer market and it tells you there is a shortage out there. The solutions we had were not convincing at all.

"The good news about the window shutting is that we can now focus on the football."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Martinez: No problem with Mourinho over Stones saga

roberto-martinez-everton_1qozngi4sl17016ugw6g1fopue.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Sep 11, 2015 00:01:00

The Everton manager insists that he does not hold a grudge against the Chelsea boss, who repeatedly tried to sign the England centre-half

Everton boss Roberto Martinez says he will shake the hand of Jose Mourinho at Goodison Park on Saturday, insisting that he has no problem with his Chelsea counterpart's summer pursuit of John Stones.

Martinez previously accused the Portuguese of trying to unsettle Stones, who submitted a transfer request that was promptly turned down by the Merseyside club.

However, Martinez insists that he holds no grudge against Mourinho, explaining that his only issue is the fact that the transfer window is open for an additional fortnight after the start of the Premier League season.

Indeed, when asked if he would shake Mourinho's hand before kick-off, the Spaniard replied: "Of course I will, yes.

"All I am against the window being open once the season has started and clubs being able to put in bids when the competition is on.

"I am not against clubs being interested in our players. I understand [Mourinho’s interest] 100 per cent.

“But you cannot come out and comment about another player of another club because the Premier League rules do not allow you to do it.

"We’re adult enough to understand why it happened – it can put a little bit more pressure.

"It’s not accepted by the Premier League rules but it is something that happens.

"That’s why I think it’s important that when the transfer window is open and you get these kind of situations, it shouldn’t affect the preparation for a game."

Unsurprisingly, much of the build-up to the game in Liverpool has centred on Stones, for whom Chelsea reportedly bid £30 million.

However, Martinez does not believe the media attention will put the 21-year-old centre-half off his game.

"The talk won’t affect him," the former Wigan boss added. "John has been performing at a very good level and gone from strength to strength in a period of high pressure.

"He’s taken the support of us all and performed with great composure and maturity.

"Then, you see how he performs for England in such a natural manner and that’s a sign of the player we have."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

De Bruyne a better player than at Chelsea, says Pellegrini

1843702_gallery.jpg

By George Ankers
Sep 11, 2015 16:37:44

The Belgian midfielder is in line for his debut against Crystal Palace on Saturday and his manager says that the £55 million man has learned a lot since his last spell in England

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini believes that Premier League audiences are set to see a far better Kevin De Bruyne than the man who failed to break through at Chelsea.

After completing a big-money move from Wolfsburg late in the transfer window, De Bruyne's debut was put off by the international break but could come on Saturday as they travel to Crystal Palace.

Pellegrini confirmed that the Belgian midfielder will be in the matchday squad, though did not say that he will definitely start, but is hugely optimistic about how his new signing will develop at the Etihad Stadium.

"Kevin is an important player - like Raheem Sterling, he has characteristics we need," the City boss told reporters.

"His position is easy to settle in our team. He will be a very important player for us. He's in the squad list; we'll see on Saturday whether he starts.

"He's a young player and he's improved a lot since he was last in the Premier League. I always say that, when good players arrive into a good team with good players, I think that they will continue to improve and that's why he's here.

"It's not the best way to arrive to go into international duty but these things happen; he must play for the Belgium team.

"In his position, it's easier to settle in – it's more difficult when you're a defender. It's different work.

"I spoke with him during the week, we worked for a couple of days and he's seen what the team is doing.

"I think that he can play in all three positions, on the wings or as a striker, with no problems."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal reveals showdown talks with Rooney & Carrick

louis-van-gaal-manchester-united_vzhp90lw68ee1od3kxz5s8yun.jpg

Sep 11, 2015 15:12:00

The former Barcelona coach feels that it is a positive that his players can come to him with their issues after concerns that the dressing room morale was "flat"

Louis van Gaal has confirmed that Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick have voiced their concerns about the lack of morale in the Manchester United dressing room.

Reports surfaced earlier in the week that the pair were unhappy with the former Barcelona boss' coaching methods and had approached him regarding the issue.

And though Van Gaal played down the rumours the squad was unhappy with his own training plans but admitted he had held talks with his captain and vice-captain.

“I think that I have a superb relationship with my players,” said Van Gaal.

“Maybe you have to consider how many players are coming to the manager to say something.

“In my career as a manger, I didn’t have so many players to come to the manager to say something about the atmosphere in the dressing room, or the way we train or something like that.

“So it’s very positive that players are coming to you, then you know they trust you.

“Rooney and Carrick, the captains, came to me and said ‘the dressing room is flat, we want to say that to you because we want to help you’.

“And then I’m a communicate and then I communicate not only with my captains, who tried to warn me, I go to the dressing room and talk to my players. I discussed a lot of aspects, what [they are] I cannot tell here [to you].

“But these aspects are not what you [the press] have written. I don’t know exactly who has written that because it was a ‘source’ like my friend [a journalist in the room] is saying ‘the fans are saying that’.

“Now the fans are shouting every week ‘Louis van Gaal’s army! Louis van Gaal’s army!’ so also the fans are very satisfied with Louis van Gaal. And my players are satisfied with me.”

Van Gaal also defended the fee paid by the Red Devils for teenager Anthony Martial after the teenager arrived on transfer deadline day.

The Old Trafford outfit could pay as much as €80 million for the France international, but the Van Gaal feels it is better to pay the fee now rather than see his value rise in 12 months time.

"The crazy world of football is that there is a market and a market price. We cannot have any influence on that price.

"I have said to Ed [Woodward], he is the best of his age, and we need a striker in the future.

"So we can wait a year and then he is £10m more expensive, but now we can build him up and at the right time he can enter the game."

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: Man Utd - Liverpool the biggest Premier League derby

brendan-rodgers-liverpool-premier-league-09082015_ovx5xdj3hoph1e2aq9luxmkl4.jpg

By Joe Wright
Sep 11, 2015 15:47:16

The Reds manager believes a win for his side at Old Trafford on Saturday will give them a major psychological boost over their rivals for the rest of the season

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says his side's clash with Manchester United is the biggest derby game in the Premier League.

Both teams go into Saturday's clash at Old Trafford on the back of defeats with Rodgers's side losing to West Ham and United to Swansea City last time out.

And the Reds' boss believes victory over their rivals will give the Anfield outfit a psychological boost for the rest of the season.

"United is a huge club and will always be under scrutiny," he told reporters. "The intensity of this fixture is still there. The players will feel it.

"This is the biggest derby game in the history of this league. Winning a game like this can give you psychological boost."

Rodgers admitted that a lack of preparation following the international break is a concern but is confident his team can bounce back from their shock 3-0 home defeat to West Ham.

"We've had two tough games away from home [against Arsenal and Stoke City] and performed well in terms of our organisation. We also want to be really creative.

"It's a good opportunity for us on the back of a disappointment. It's a chance to put that behind us. The players are focused and we will be ready for it."

Rodgers confirmed Daniel Sturridge is not yet ready to return to match action, with captain Jordan Henderson and Adam Lallana facing late fitness tests.

And the former Swansea boss also refused to single out defender Dejan Lovren after the centre-back made a crucial against the Irons.

"Sturridge returned to training but we've got no timeline on when he will play in games. We'll see about Henderson and Lallana over the next 24 hours.

"Our tally of goals will increase as the team improves over course of the season. Daniel coming back into the fold will help that.

"We can never say [if he has overcome his injury problems]. We'll take it day by day.

"Dejan knows we performed below our level in that game. He knows he made a mistake but it was about the collective," he added.

"In his first three games this season, Dejan showed he has the quality and the consistency to perform well."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Silva ruled out of Manchester City's trip to Crystal Palace

david-silva-sergio-aguero-manchester-city_117h3eup34sgk1nfeprn7xd804.jpg

By Chris Davie
Sep 11, 2015 13:15:51

The Spaniard is sidelined with an ankle problem but Bacary Sagna is available for the trip to Selhurst Park despite suffering a knock during France's win over Serbia

David Silva has been ruled out of Manchester City’s clash with Crystal Palace on Saturday due to an ankle injury.

The 29-year-old has started the season in fine form for Manuel Pellegrini’s side, scoring one goal and assisting four others in his opening four Premier League matches.

“Silva is out as I think it would be a risk for him to take another knock on his ankle,” Pellegrini said on Friday.

“I hope he will be OK for Juventus [on Tuesday].”

The City manager also confirmed that Bacary Sagna is available for his side’s trip to Selhurst Park despite suffering a minor ankle problem in France’s 2-1 win over Serbia on Monday.

Pablo Zabaleta, Gael Clichy and Fabian Delph are also unavailable for the match against Alan Pardew's side.

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Courtois 'out for a long time' after knee surgery, confirms Mourinho

1680065-35599857-2560-1440.jpg

Sep 11, 2015 12:10:00

The Belgium goalkeeper is set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines after being hurt in training, with Asmir Begovic set to return to the team as his replacement

Jose Mourinho has confirmed Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois will require knee surgery and believes the goalkeeper with be out “for quite a long time”.

The Belgium international was hurt during a training session and will be replaced by new signing Asmir Begovic, who featured in two games earlier this season when Courtois was sent off and subsequently suspended.

Mourinho could not confirm the exact length of time Courtois is expected to spend on the sidelines, with the final verdict of the club's medical staff still pending.

“Courtois was injured in a training session with the goalkeepers. I cannot tell you much, but he needs surgery in his right knee, he will be out for quite a long time, but I cannot be specific as to how long he will be out,” said the Chelsea boss.

Mourinho admitted losing his first-choice goalkeeper was a blow but insists Begovic, who was signed this summer to replace Arsenal-bound Petr Cech, is a capable deputy.

“It's not easy to have the best goalkeeper injured, but it's easy to have one of the best to play, and we have Begovic,” he added.

“We have a top goalkeeper and Begovic will play.”

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Official: De Gea signs new deal with Manchester United

david-de-gea-manchester-united_1rswruk3hurt71powwwdadk3cq.jpg

By Tom Beck
Sep 11, 2015 12:00:00

The Spain goalkeeper was expected to move to Real Madrid this summer but, following the bizarre breakdown of his transfer, has now signed fresh terms at Old Trafford

David de Gea has signed a new four-year contract with Manchester United, with the option to extend for a further year.

The 24-year-old Spain international, who arrived from Atletico Madrid in 2011 was expected to seal a return move to La Liga to join rival Real Madrid this summer.

However, following the move collapsing on transfer deadline day due to documents arriving late, De Gea has opted to sign fresh terms at the Premier League club.

"I am delighted to be starting this new chapter in my United career," said De Gea.

"I have always enjoyed playing with these great players in front of our fantastic fans. Manchester United is a special club and Old Trafford is an ideal place for me to continue to develop my career.

"I'm looking forward to putting a difficult summer behind me and concentrating on working hard to improve and help my teammates to be successful."

United manager Louis van Gaal, who has opted to play Argentina's Sergio Romero ahead of De Gea in all four of his side's league games this year, expects last season's first-choice stopper to enjoy a lengthy career with the club.

"I am absolutely delighted David has signed a new contract," the Dutchman enthused. "He is one of the best goalkeepers in world football. I am very pleased that he will be part of the team for many years to come.

"David made a very important contribution to our performance last season and he has been the club's Player of the Year for the last two seasons.

"He is a popular player who is keen to learn and enhance his game. At such a young age for a goalkeeper, he has many years ahead of him."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: Man Utd will beat Liverpool... but WON'T win the title!

louis-van-gaal-wayne-rooney-manchester-united_nh3bpbkvqpgj1u9k8r6ialaz4.jpg

Sep 11, 2015 08:08:18

The former Barcelona boss feels a second or third-placed finish would be more realistic for the Red Devils this season despite them spending in excess of £100 million this summer

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has ruled out winning the Premier League title this season, though he has vowed to beat Liverpool when the rivals clash on Saturday.

The Red Devils have taken seven points from their opening four domestic matches having spent in excess of £100 million over the summer on the likes of Memphis Depay, Anthony Martial and Morgan Schneiderlin.

Despite that, Van Gaal has played down the chances of the Old Trafford outfit winning a first title in three years and is instead targeting becoming English champions for the 21st time in 2016-17.

"No, maybe third or second place is realistic but I expect us to go for it next season," he said when asked whether United would win the title at a Q&A session for season ticket holders.

He added on their defeat to Swansea City last time out: "I am sorry, the defeat, was my fault. Don't worry, we will win on Saturday [against Liverpool]."

The former Netherlands manager also claimed United fans are the best supporters in world football due to them getting behind the team even if they are losing.

"At Barcelona when the team is losing fans wave their white hankies, Munich fans start whistling and at Ajax the fans call for the previous manager.

"Manchester United fans get behind their manager, they get behind their team. That is why United fans are the best in the world."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

1911272_thumb.jpg

Manchester United 3-1 Liverpool: Martial hits debut goal as Red Devils go second
The Frenchman was introduced as a second-half substitute and rounded off the scoring at Old Trafford to give Louis van Gaal's men all three points against their bitter rivals

1910302_thumb.jpg

Crystal Palace 0-1 Manchester City: Iheanacho the hero as De Bruyne makes debut
The summer signing from Wolfsburg was introduced as a first-half substitute but it was the Nigerian forward that maintained Manuel Pellegrini's side's 100 per cent record

1910022_thumb.jpg

Watford 1-0 Swansea City: Ighalo gives 10-man Hornets first win of the season
Quique Flores's men had Valon Behrami sent off soon after going in front but held off the threat of Garry Monk's high-flying Swans to take the three points at Vicarage Road

1850692_thumb.jpg

West Brom 0-0 Southampton: Berahino returns as Baggies hold Saints
The striker, who had threatened to strike after a summer move to Tottenham failed to materialise, came off the bench but could not inspire his side to a victory

1909972_thumb.jpg

Norwich 3-1 Bournemouth: Canaries pick up first home win
Matt Jarvis enjoyed a dream debut for the hosts scoring the third goal as Alex Neil's men tasted victory at Carrow Road for the first time this season in the Premier League

1909702_thumb.jpg

Arsenal 2-0 Stoke City: Walcott & Giroud return to goalscoring form
The two forwards have endured plenty of criticism this season, but both netted to finally bring the goals back to Emirates Stadium and send the Gunners up to second place

1908802_thumb.jpg

Everton 3-1 Chelsea: Naismith hat-trick piles more pressure on Mourinho
The Blues were poor as they struggled to find answers to the Scot's treble, with John Stones leading a fine defensive display despite Nemanja Matic's superb consolation goal

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: People enjoy seeing me suffer

13 September 2015 13:50

910047header.jpg

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has claimed people enjoy seeing him suffer after the Premier League champions fell to another defeat, this time against Everton on Saturday.

Roberto Martinez's men recorded a 3-1 victory at Goodison Park thanks to a Steven Naismith hat-trick and left the Portuguese manager's side sitting 16th in the table with four points from five games.

Mourinho was reluctant to blame his players after the setback and expressed confidence they would be able to turn the situation around, starting with Wednesday's UEFA Champions League game against Maccabi Tel Aviv.

But the former Real Madrid and Inter boss did say he feels some are relishing seeing him go through such a sticky spell as a manager.

Mourinho told BBC Sport: "I know that lots of people are happy that finally after so many years they find me in a situation like this so fair play, enjoy - but I will enjoy my day [on Sunday] again working hard as always and thinking we can win on Wednesday.

"It is the first time in my career that I am getting these bad results but I am coping with the situation because I am on the players' side, I am not against them. I don't feel I have any reason to be here speaking against them or against their desire or their lack of frustration at the situation so I keep believing in them.

"It is better not to look to the table, this is the first time I look and see my team in such a position.

"Obviously my career and my experience make me believe in myself and I am happy that on Wednesday we have another game and we don't have to wait 15 days like we did from the last match [the defeat to Crystal Palace].

"I am happy that in this moment the players don't have too much time to think about what is happening and a different competition is welcome when we are not behind having less points than the opponents - we are on zero like Maccabi, Porto and Dynamo Kiev.

"It is a good challenge, I cannot be here jumping or laughing because people may think I am not sad or frustrated so I cannot laugh too much, but the reality is I face this situation smiling inside because it is a good challenge."

Following the clash with Maccabi, Chelsea will return to Premier League business with a crunch clash against Arsenal on Saturday.

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Begovic: Chelsea dressing room is flat - but there are no bust-ups

14 September 2015 09:50

910538header.jpg

Chelsea goalkeeper Asmir Begovic concedes the Chelsea dressing room is currently flat, but insists there are no arguments or feuds inside Jose Mourinho's squad.

The Stamford Bridge club have made an abysmal start to the defence of their Premier League crown and are down in 17th place with just one win from their opening five games.

Mourinho was defiant over his own position after Saturday's 3-1 defeat to Everton at Goodison Park and refused to place much blame on his players for the slump.

Begovic is set for a prolonged spell between the sticks after Thibaut Courtois had to undergo knee surgery and acknowledged the players are lacking in confidence following recent results.

"That is probably a fair judgement," the 28-year-old told reporters when asked if the dressing room was flat.

"No one was kicking off in the dressing room – nothing. We had to pick ourselves up. There are lots of games to go, we cannot feel sorry for ourselves or points fingers. We will get that good feeling through the squad again.

"I think we still have good character, guys who believe in themselves, guys who can make a difference and guys who have a lot of confidence. Sometimes, that can be an issue.

"Football is like this and you have your bad spells. We will get it out of our system, kick on and get stronger and stronger as the season goes on.

"We know we can go on a big run. Once things start clicking for us, psychologically, mentally, physically, we can be a very powerful team and everyone knows that."

Begovic is hopeful Wednesday's UEFA Champions League opener against Maccabi Tel Aviv will provide the turning point for Chelsea's season.

He continued: "It is a case of getting going and the season back on track and a good result on Wednesday will get the confidence going again – we need a boost at the moment and hopefully it will come soon.

"Arsenal is a big game and one we look forward to but we cannot look past Wednesday as we want to start that game on a good note. Maccabi will be a good test and it won't be easy."

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gerrard labels Balotelli a ´spectacular waste of talent´

14 September 2015 10:40

910555header.jpg

Former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has described Milan striker Mario Balotelli as a "spectacular waste of talent", saying he will never be world-class and revealing how the Italian even claimed he did not know how to mark at corners to avoid defensive work.

Balotelli spent the 2014-15 campaighn at Anfield and started only 10 Premier League matches before being shipped back to San Siro on a season-long loan.

Gerrard, now with LA Galaxy, felt uneasy about Balotelli's arrival from the start after Jose Mourinho had branded him "unmanageable" following their dealings at Inter.

The 25-year-old failed to assuage the former England international's fears, with the alarm bells ringing from his very first training session.

Writing in his autobiography, which is being serialised in The Daily Mail, Gerrard said: "I had seen a staggering number of new signings walk into the Liverpool training ground.

"I watched every single one of their first training sessions with close attention, wondering whether we'd bought a star or another dud, a king or a prat, a Xabi Alonso or an El Hadji Diouf, a Luis Suarez or a Mario Balotelli.

"In my last season, Brendan Rodgers came to me at Melwood one day in mid-August. We had a chat on the training pitch. He said, 'You know we've missed out on a couple of signings. I'm basically left with no option but to have a bit of a gamble.'

Brendan paused before he spoke again: 'The gamble is Mario Balotelli.' My instant reaction was, 'Uh-oh.'

"I'd never met Balotelli but I'd heard all the stories about the indoor fireworks and Jose Mourinho describing him as an 'unmanageable' player. I could see that, in the right mood, he was a quality footballer but the rest of his career seemed like a spectacular waste of talent. That was my opinion of Balotelli.

"But I also had to admit that, when he played for Italy, he seemed able to switch on his gift like he was snapping on a bright light. Brendan implied that Balotelli didn't have anywhere else to go – and it seemed as if Liverpool would be Balotelli's last chance to shine at a major club. He would be offered a strict contract. Any bad behaviour would be punished.

"I reminded myself that I had always allowed every new player to come into the club with a clean slate. Balotelli's reputation tested that resolve but I tried my best to be open-minded. He made an immediate impression when we were doing work on our defensive set-pieces and Balotelli said to Brendan: 'I don't mark on corners. I can't.'

"I nearly fell into the goalpost. I was thinking, 'What are you? Six foot three, and one of the strongest men I've ever seen on a football pitch? And you can't mark on a corner?'

"Brendan was very firm. He said to Balotelli: 'Well, you can now – and if you can't then you're going to learn.' That was the first conflict between Brendan and Balotelli, on day one, but the manager stood up to Mario really well. From that point, Balotelli started marking on corners.

"I knew that Balotelli would simply not put in the work we needed from a lone striker. Away to Basel in the Champions League, Balotelli started the game and he was hopeless. After his promising debut against Tottenham he had lapsed in training and the subsequent games. His demeanour was very poor. I made up my mind pretty quickly after that about Balotelli.

"There was no friction between us but I could see Mourinho had been right when he said Balotelli is unmanageable.

"He is very talented with the potential to be world class, but he'll never get there because of his mentality and the people around him. Balotelli's always late, he always wants attention, he says the wrong things on social media.

"For me, he doesn't work hard enough on a daily basis. You're always fighting a losing battle with Balotelli. He does too many things wrong."

Gerrard also branded Real Madrid boss Rafael Benitez "stupid" for selling Alonso to the Santiago Bernabeu side while he was still in his prime.

The 35-year-old said: "It was clear Alonso was royalty after our first training session together in August 2004, and Rafa Benitez, who had been so clever to buy him in the first place, was equally stupid to sell him to Real Madrid five years later. He was, by some distance, the best central midfielder I ever played alongside.

"It was a disastrous decision to sell Alonso, and especially for just £30million – which looks a snip now when you reflect on all he has achieved subsequently, both at Real Madrid and Bayern Munich and with Spain, winning the Euros and the World Cup. I blame Rafa entirely for the loss of Alonso. He could still have been playing for Liverpool six or seven years after he left in 2009."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal preaches patience with Martial and Depay

14 September 2015 20:19

910831header.jpg

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says observers must be patient with Anthony Martial and Memphis Depay ahead of Tuesday's Champions League opener against PSV.

While 21-year-old Depay has had a mixed start to life at Old Trafford since his close-season move from the Philips Stadion, Martial marked his United debut with a goal in Saturday's 3-1 win over Liverpool.

The former Monaco striker could help fill the void left by Wayne Rooney's injury-enforced absence in Eindhoven but Van Gaal called for patience with the pair.

Asked about Martial's mood after his showing on Saturday, the former Ajax boss said: "I have only had one day of training after Liverpool, and then it was a light session.

"But [Martial's] impression was good, I can only say it's good but it's the same for Memphis. You have to give them time and that's what I am asking of the fans as well.

"He cannot change his market price. As a manager you are never satisfied but [Depay] is doing well, he's played every game.

"It's not easy, adapting to the rhythm of the Premier League but of course he has to adapt to that rhythm and there being a lot of pressure on the ball but he shall improve I think.

"I have to be patient with Memphis but also for [Jesse] Lingaard, [Andreas] Pereira, [Adnan] Januzaj - you can't demand players of 19, 20 and 21 that they are consistent. You have to accept that."

Depay will likely feature against his former club in this week's Group A clash, having come through the youth system at PSV before becoming a key part of Phillip Cocu's title-winning side last term.

"[Martial and I] are both young so we can help each other and ask questions," added the winger.

"It's the same with Luke Shaw - we talk a lot, he has played longer in the Premier League than me so I have a lot of questions for him.

"We can all help each other. I learned a lot [at PSV] but it's like what the boss is saying - it's on a different level, the competition is different so I have to learn in the Premier League and improve.

"Of course I've learned a lot from PSV but [the Premier League is] different."

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Di Maria: I didn't get on well with Van Gaal

louis-van-gaal-angel-di-maria-manchester-united_mp3oys33vujy151mj2wwxpo34.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Sep 14, 2015 16:28:00

The Argentine has confessed that he had a poor relationship with the Dutchman during a miserable season at Manchester United for him and his family

Paris Saint-Germain summer signing Angel Di Maria has admitted that he "did not get on well" with Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal and that neither he nor his family were ever truly happy in England.

The Argentina international joined the Red Devils from Real Madrid in the summer of 2014 for a British record fee of £59.7 million and he made an impressive start to his Old Trafford career.

However, Di Maria struggled for both form and fitness the longer the season went on, while his family were also shaken by a break-in at their home on January 31, with his wife refusing to return house after the burglary.

The 27-year-old has now admitted that given the problems he was facing on and off the field, he felt that he had no option but to seek a transfer to PSG.

"Honestly, we were not happy," the winger told Le Parisien. "At the beginning, we were a little. But then things became complicated.

"Life in England was a bit difficult. It is not easy for a South American. Some people get on fine, and for others it is harder to adapt.

"I didn't get on very well with the coach, so I think the decision to join Paris was the best solution.

"After [the break-in] it wasn't reasonable to stay. My family wasn't happy. My daughter was suffering. So it was important to leave.

"After the end of the Premier League, I went to the Copa America," Di Maria continued.

"It was at that moment that I started to see that the possibility of joining PSG was real.

"But even last year, before joining Manchester, I could have signed for Paris. It didn't happen for reasons you already know [Financial Fair Play restrictions on PSG].

"But I believe it was my destiny to end up at Paris.

"From the little I have seen, our life here in France resembles more the life we led in Spain or Portugal. And at the moment we are 100 percent satisfied."

Di Maria had joined United after playing a key role in Madrid winning a 10th European Cup courtesy of a 4-1 victory over Atletico Madrid in the Champions League final in May of last year.

Consequently, he found it tough being a spectator during the 2014-15 tournament and is thus looking forward excitedly to PSG's group-stage opener against Benfica on Tuesday.

"Last season was difficult for me," Di Maria admitted.

"I didn't play much and it was tough to watch the Champions League on television after winning it with Real Madrid.

"On Tuesday, I will feel the same emotion as I have every time since my first match for Benfica. It is a magnificent competition."

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fired-up Mourinho slams ´stupid´ third season critics

15 September 2015 14:25

911208header.jpg

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has issued another resolute defence of his managerial record, dismissing suggestions he always struggles in his third season.

The Blues are preparing to welcome Maccabi Tel Aviv to Stamford Bridge on Wednesday for their opening Champions League match of the 2015-16 campaign.

The competition will provide a timely reprieve from Premier League action for Chelsea, with Mourinho under pressure with his side down in 17th place after winning just once in five games to open the new season.

The 52-year-old, though, cannot understand why his performance is under scrutiny and reacted with particular emotion to a question about his record in his third season at previous clubs after critics suggested that was to blame for his team's dreadful start.

"At Porto I didn't have a third season and my third season at Inter I didn't have," Mourinho said at his pre-match press conference.

"My third season at Chelsea the first time I won FA Cup and Carling Cup and I played Champions League semi.

"Third season in Madrid I won Super Cup, lost the Cup Final, and I went to Champions League semi. These are my third seasons so click Google instead of stupid questions.

"I am the champion of England, why should I be in trouble? Why? In other clubs, you have to go back two, three, four, five years to remember good results. In our case, you have to go back three months and three months ago we were the best team in the country, the best manager, best players.

"Can you ask me why some managers can't be in difficult situations for five, six seven, 10 years? I think it’s a good question that you don't know how to answer. We are not happy, but we know what we are.

"Our start has been so bad but nobody can steal what we are, nobody can steal our trophies, nobody can steal our history. We know what we are and the fans sing it: champions of England."

Mourinho again insisted there were no major problems at the club other than the poor results and said he was still both 'The Happy One' and 'The Special One' - descriptions he has previously used about himself.

He continued: "When you are used to winning all the time, then when you don't it is a strange feeling. Some people deal well with it, others not as good.

"Every season you have some seasons where teams don’t start well, have a bad result, and it is so easy to connect that to bad luck, bad injuries. It is quite sad that people go in other directions to find problems that don't exist.

"I am still special and happy. I am adapting to the challenge."