• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[YouTube] - LaoWhy86 on "Why I've Totaly Changed my Opinion on China (Sep 2019)"

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
LaoWhy86 : "Now I don't know why, but every single time a Chinese girl overtly hit on me, the Chinese girl turned out to be from Hubei province. And I wasn't even in Hubei province, I was in Guangdong province!"

LaoWhy86 : "I dated a Mongolian Chinese girl once. Even though she was Chinese, she was completely different and the polar opposite of all the Han Chinese girls I ever dated. It was a shocking eye-opening experience for me!"

Altantuya Shaariibuu image credits : http://altantuyaashaariibuu.blogspot.com/2009/05/by-now-i-believe-you-have-read-in-news.html

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats because xi jinping is a china nazi. The south china sea aggravation, big brother attitude and policing, prohibition of facebook and google etc all started with him.

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The culture shock of overseas mainlanders and why other ethnic Chinese dislike them
renderTimingPixel.png

讨论 | Discussion
I’m a mainlander living in the west. In mainland China I’ve lived for more than 20 years and experienced the whole education system, from school to university. And I’ve lived in the west more than 8 years. Today I want to share some thoughts on the culture shock of overseas mainlanders and why other ethnic Chinese dislike them (us). Of course these thoughts are based on my limited education and experience. I welcome all civil feedbacks, whether you agree with me or not.

Summary:

1. Most mainlanders used to the majority in China, a homogeneous environment with filtered information and no political freedom. When they came aboard, suddenly they’re thrown into a noisy environment with diversity and free expression. Worse, they’re the minority now.
  2. Due to the education of CCP, mainlanders have many “bottom lines” which people raised in the west can’t understand.
  3. CCP wants to control everything, even the people and the organizations aboard. It suppressed the diversity of mainlanders and polarized the opinions: if you’re not pro-CCP, you’re anti-CCP. There’s no other way.
  4. CCP has a terrible image in the west and the mainlanders are the victims. However, mainlanders dare not speak out if they have family and friends in mainland China.

Longer version:

Usually when mainlanders go to study or live in the west, the culture shock is tremendous. Besides the culture and customs difference, there’re also other reasons.
Firstly, mainland China is a pretty homogeneous. Most people speak Mandarin, write Chinese, talk about the same news, etc. You barely meet people with different skin colors or from foreign countries if you don’t live in the top tier cities. So many of them haven’t learned how to respect and get along with people from different culture backgrounds. And they don’t need to learn because most of them won’t go aboard.

Secondly, the media and Internet are all controlled by the state. The overseas websites and media are mostly blocked. Even they’re not blocked, most mainlanders are not used to read English. Thus their opinions are shaped by the state and people around them, who are also fed with the same information. And we all know that the narrative of Chinese government is quite different from the west.

Thirdly, most mainlanders are majority in mainland China. If you’re a majority in a society, you’ll have less trouble and struggle comparing to the minority. You’ll find more people sharing similar background with you. As Chinese government don’t encourage diversity, the minority groups usually don’t have a voice. So lots of mainlanders just don’t know the minority exists and think everyone lives a good life just like them.

Fourth, there is no political freedom in mainland China. The students are only encouraged to follow the CCP and to be high skilled workers. Most mainlanders think politics is taboo and don’t discuss politics much. When they do, they don’t know how to discuss politics in a civil way. They’ve only learned how to discuss politics in the CCP way, which is rude, loud, and illogical.

Suddenly they’re in the west, alone or just with few friends. They’re not majority anymore. Their native tongue is useless. They’re interacting people with different skin colors and culture backgrounds. They’re facing an environment in which politics is everyday life.

Some are scared and just stay in their small Chinese circles, continue reading the censored information from WeChat and Weibo every day. Some would try to embrace the new world, but their expect too much and tend to overact to some problems. For example, if you live long enough in a diverse society, you’ll meet good white people, bad white people, good black people, and bad black people. You won’t want to leave the country if you once encounter a racist on the street. But for lots of mainlanders, the problems in the west are new to them. And CCP always told them the west is dangerous and full of racism. So they may go extreme and generalize if they meet a racist. Then they’ll take a U-turn and become pro-China.

Some mainlanders will also try to make friends with other ethnic Chinese such as people from Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Chinese Americans. Due to the terrible image of CCP, many ethnic Chinese outside mainland China think all the mainlanders are “brainwashed mobs”. They’re wrong. They shouldn’t be against all the mainlanders. But we can’t only blame other ethnic Chinese for disliking mainlanders.

Most mainlanders, even the open-minded who anti-CCP, haven’t had the problem of identity. In China they’re just Chinese, and people around them are also Chinese, so they just identify themselves as Chinese without thought. And for them “Chinese” doesn’t only means the nationality, but also the race. If you’re ethnic Chinese, then you should identify yourself as a Chinese. Or else you’re immoral and a traitor.

However, for other ethnic Chinese, “Chinese” only means the nationality. It represents mainland China and the Chinese government. They don’t hate their root, their family, or Chinese culture. They don’t deny they’re ethnic Chinese. They just don’t want to be ruled by CCP or tied with mainland China. Some mainlanders can’t understand that. If you are anti-CCP, it’s ok, but if you say “I’m not a Chinese”, you’re hurting their feelings. That’s their “bottom line”. Some mainlanders would show unusual warmth to other ethnic Chinese when they first meet because they think “we’re all Chinese!”, and if you dare refuse that warmth, you’re an asshole who forget your root and they may call you “banana man” in the back.

If you’re an Chinese American who identify yourself as a true American and have met some mainlanders trying to “correct” your identity, you may avoid seeing mainlanders in the future.

It’s not easy to live in a whole new society. You don’t have many connections and you need a community that could help you. Lots of overseas mainlanders are pro-CCP because only the Chinese embassy would like to help them when something happens. They say local people and other ethnic Chinese don’t care about them. They can only count on CCP and CCP did helped them a lot. I won’t deny the good CCP did, but I have another question: Why there are no other groups and communities can help overseas Chinese?

In my opinion, just because CCP is too powerful and wants to control everything, it only allows pro-CCP organizations, even in foreign countries. If an org is big enough, CCP will try to control it. If it won’t corporate, CCP will treat it as an enemy. Do you have the courage to accept the help from a CCP’s enemy? What will happen to your family and friends in China then? “Only CCP can help us” is not the truth. If CCP is not such a controlling freak, lots of non-official groups which is neither anti-CCP nor pro-CCP may appear. You can get help from those groups. More, in this case, other ethnic Chinese wouldn’t dislike CCP so much and may prefer a better relationship with mainlanders.

As a mainlander, I don’t like to be discriminated just because they don’t like CCP. However, sometimes I think I deserve it because I don’t have courage to stand out. If there are no other voices of mainlanders except CCP’s propaganda, how can people from outside know that we don’t agree with CCP?
If we don’t stand out, we should be prepared for a world that is increasingly unfriendly to mainlanders.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
All Chinese have the same genetic code built in to their psyche regardless of where they originated. It's called the "obnoxious" gene.

If they cross bred with the Burmese their behaviour might improve somewhat as we Burmese are amongst the nicest and most considerate people on earth.

PretenderSam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats because xi jinping is a china nazi. The south china sea aggravation, big brother attitude and policing, prohibition of facebook and google etc all started with him.
and so ? all you can do is keep repeating the same old worthless dull criticism.
xi is china nazi and all you can do is keep sucking your own cock.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The world needs an eastern hitler to counter a yankee hitler. Let the war begin.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
LaoWhy86 : "Now I don't know why, but every single time a Chinese girl overtly hit on me, the Chinese girl turned out to be from Hubei province. And I wasn't even in Hubei province, I was in Guangdong province!"

LaoWhy86 : "I dated a Mongolian Chinese girl once. Even though she was Chinese, she was completely different and the polar opposite of all the Han Chinese girls I ever dated. It was a shocking eye-opening experience for me!"

Altantuya Shaariibuu image credits : http://altantuyaashaariibuu.blogspot.com/2009/05/by-now-i-believe-you-have-read-in-news.html
so why hubei?

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
so why hubei?

LaoWhy86 aka C-Milk aka Matthew Tye (YouTube business partner of SerpentZa aka Winston Frederick Sterzel; these 2 angmoh men both married China women, and are both full-time professional profitable YouTubers) says up till today, he has no idea why, it's one of life's (and China's) greatest mysteries.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
LaoWhy86 aka C-Milk aka Matthew Tye (YouTube business partner of SerpentZa aka Winston Frederick Sterzel; these 2 angmoh men both married China women, and are both full-time professional profitable YouTubers) says up till today, he has no idea why, it's one of life's (and China's) greatest mysteries.
thks! no attention span to watch vid. :thumbsup:

want to go to hubei with me? it's quite a bit colder than sinkieland.

mudhatter

Alfrescian
Loyal

dont see what's wrong with ban on fb google?

must develop own espionage tools lah, can't leave it all to CIA nsa mi6 five eyes mossad etc

so bodoh lah

problem with authoritarianism on tiong peasants east turkestan tibet SCS and lack of allies partnerships and such despite tremendous opportunities handed to them on a golden platter by yankees/west since 2001

tiongs really short sighted

slit eyes and all, maybe

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
thks! no attention span to watch vid. :thumbsup:

want to go to hubei with me? it's quite a bit colder than sinkieland.

Thanks for the invite. But my multiple medical conditions make any travel of any sort completely unfeasible. As it is just resting at home and surviving day to day is already somewhat of a struggle.