• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Your Fault - Over-reacting to the Train Breakdowns

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did Singaporeans overreact to MRT breakdowns?
By Shawn Lee Miller
RazorTV
Saturday, Dec 31, 2011

The recent MRT breakdowns have cast a shadow over our train system. Many complained about the way SMRT handled the situation with some even calling for SMRT chief Saw Phaik Hwa to resign.But what do foreigners staying in Singapore feel about the public sentiment to the breakdowns? Sidrah Arif, who was working in London before moving to Singapore three years ago, is used to train delays on the London tube and was surprised at the reaction.

"I do feel that peoples' reaction was over-the-top especially when there are other means to getting to places in Singapore. It's a geographically small place not like in a huge city where there's no other option. " said Ms Arif.

For more views about the MRT breakdowns, check out RazorTV.

===============================================

Our lives is their hands when travelling on the public transport system, they have a moral duty to uphold that trust. Yest, now they are doing a spin that , it is OUR FAULT.

Yes, Singapore is small place & ther are alternatives, but at the time of the disruption, there were no alternatives, for many of the bus routes that used to compliment the trains had been removed to maximise profits. What alternatives? There were chaose by the people who ran & manage the transport system, in short, there were incompetent. Doesn't the CEO who is in charge, resign for this? is it not fair?

Our lives in their hands and yet the spin is IT IS YOUR FAULT. welcome to your SINgapore!

Last edited:

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree that it is ultimately the Singaporean voter's FAULT; for did not 60% vote for the PAP?

The sentiments arise purely because the authorities have often heaped TONS of self praise on themselves to justify the over-generous remunerations paid for what is basically INCOMPETENCE masquarading as top talents!

CEOs and Ministers of other 1st world nations do not pay themselves such sky high salaries nor do they blow their own trumpets loudly over their achievements and infrastructure as Singapore does!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they are saying that they do deserve such indecently high salaries, then they had better prove their capabilities. Otherwise, go :oIo:

Anyway, I do agree that those 60.1% really deserves it. Serves them right.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just short of saying Sinkies deserve who they voted for :p:p:p

don't be morons. the operation and maintenance of the mrt have little to do with politics or any political party voted in. the ruling party does not run and provide the service. if it does, the system will run like silk with negligible to near zero downtime.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
don't be morons. the operation and maintenance of the mrt have little to do with politics or any political party voted in. the ruling party does not run and provide the service. if it does, the system will run like silk with negligible to near zero downtime.

In any other countries on planet earth I would agree with you, and even call myself a moron. :mad:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In any other countries on planet earth I would agree with you, and even call myself a moron. :mad:

show me the proof that pappies operate and maintain the mrt. i don't see mrt engineers wearing lightning bolts on their uniforms and overalls.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
show me the proof that pappies operate and maintain the mrt. i don't see mrt engineers wearing lightning bolts on their uniforms and overalls.

You moron. Don't you know that Temasek is the majority shareholder in SMRT. So, how can they prosecute their own business/management? Won't it become a laughing stock then?

Anyway, I will still always say: Those bastard 60.1% really deserve it.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bro u are wrong, SMRT is a government controlled company, like SIA like all the GLCs. If anything goes wrong, the government is at fault. There is a Minister of Tpt and a Public Transport Council,,,they oversee SMRT and what not,,so since SMRT screw up, PTC and the minister is not doing their job,,simple as that...and of course, does not the PAP to control (and they do control) everything.

techiedick

Alfrescian
Loyal
In case you did not see the other video by a true blue Singaporean reaction to MRT breakdown and not some fake angmoh comparing the London MRT to SMRT.

"why compare to a system that has a Grade F which is the London MRT?"

Compare it to a world class transport system which is the Gahmen goal in the first place. We want to achieve first class compare to a first class.

Overreacting? SMRT is reacting and not pro-active so many years of poor management finally the skeletons are walking out of the closets

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so great to compare to london underground with smrt , look great right? why no compare to JR?
let see why london underground is worse than smrt, the reason is very simple, when london have underground transport, singapore is still using buffalo cart. yeah, it is old therefore problematic.

we should compare to some more recent mrt, like taiwan and korea, well they are better than us. let us keep blaming the ceo.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree that it is ultimately the Singaporean voter's FAULT; for did not 60% vote for the PAP?

The sentiments arise purely because the authorities have often heaped TONS of self praise on themselves to justify the over-generous remunerations paid for what is basically INCOMPETENCE masquarading as top talents!

CEOs and Ministers of other 1st world nations do not pay themselves such sky high salaries nor do they blow their own trumpets loudly over their achievements and infrastructure as Singapore does!

Please ask that 60% dont complaint for transport breakdown,price increase..................until next election.
Only 40% can complaint because they dont vote for PAP.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi techiedick,

I share your view. Why compare to London which is notorious for shut down and delay. Once I was waiting at a certain platform with many others (including ang mor) wondering why there was no train after more than 10mins. Then I noticed a small white board placed at the entrance to the station with handwritten words "No service to XX station". Actually announcement has been made periodically over the PA system on the service disruption. However, I didn't catch it because of the surrounding noise, the sound quality and of course my half past six listening skill. Furthermore, the train service in the opposite direction was operating normally with the usual crowd on opposite side of the platform, giving the false impression that everything is fine.

I can't read Japanese word. However, I had managed to travel about by train there for quite a number of weeks. I planned my itinerary, jotted down the time of arrival at the station that I am suppose to alight and the time of departure of the next train that I am suppose to catch etc. I diligently followed these timings, getting off at a station purely by timing and boarding the next train the same way. I had travelled purely using the time of arrival and departure and amazingly, it was accurate to the seconds. I am sure most if not all will agree that the systems in Japan is much more complex than ours. Therefore, if we think that our system is world class, we should be comparing to Japan.

Last edited:

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PAP is not contended with replacing Singaporeans with foreigners in the workplace, it also wants to slam Singaporeans using foreigners.

First of all, why give huge publicity to foreigners who do not know Singapore and take whatever they say as gospel truth? Was there an over-reaction in the first place? Was there a mass demonstration on the streets? Was there a mass boycott of SMRT? Did Singaporeans vote the PAP out? Do this foreigner expect zero reaction as reasonable reaction? Mind you, there were already several MRT breakdowns in the past with zero reaction from Singaporeans.

Secondly, any reaction was not targeted at the MRT breakdown per se but more at the cockiness, arrogance and high-handedness of the PAP and Saw. If you boast all the time and demand huge salaries and bonuses because you boasted that you're the best, and replaced Singaporeans with your own people, expect strong reaction when you screw up. Even God could not stand arrogance and pride.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
RazorTv and that clown Arif are idiots. Arif is an idiot for comparing train delays with 7 hr train breakdowns every day. RazorTV is another media whore for publicising his views even tho it is inane.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sidrah Arif, who was working in London before moving to Singapore three years ago, is used to train delays on the London tube and was surprised at the reaction.

"I do feel that peoples' reaction was over-the-top especially when there are other means to getting to places in Singapore. It's a geographically small place not like in a huge city where there's no other option. " said Ms Arif.

Another bloody foreigner telling us off... Well done you 60% Cb kias.. :oIo:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why stop at there? Lets compare the welfare/ average worker salaries/ ministers salaries/ countryside getaways/ world class shit....etc etc between Londoners and sinkiers.. Fucking shit PAP muddefuckers only know how to take the bad to compare...The good stuff they got no fucking balls...

jw5

Loyal
Sales of bubble tea have never been better. Who cares about the trains? :rolleyes: