• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

YOG - A Total PR disaster for SG

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you a real volunteer or were you "volunteered" by someone above?:p

Humans are inherently resourceful. That's how the human race became the dominant species on earth. However, resourcefulness is only displayed when it results in a reward of some kind or other.

The Sinkie system does the opposite and rewards the acts of conforming and rule following. The end result is what you see around you. In fact, it could be said that Sinkies are very resourceful in pretending to conform despite the fact that they would actually like to display their creativity.

Yes, you're damn right.

But what happens if the latter part regarding Sinkie is be a pro and not a con , then their leaders have to be God, all the time and not be men.

But can such thing ever happen?:biggrin:

One thing is for sure, the Sinkie ways of conforming is set rigid by the presence of LKY. Once he is gone, the entire PAP system will start to corrode from within and collapse eventually.

But with the years of conforming and inculcated fear, the Sinkie will find that they are really lost when it comes to the final chapter. Like a sheeps without a leader, they once so endeared themselves to.

Not becos there isn't any capable leaders that will emerge but the confounded Sinkie, will deny that there are such new leaders are ever as 'trust worthy as their former LKY.

Which leaves them in the bind. More so, as many would seize the opportunity to create a 'new' type of gov with not so desired methods of approach.

It is said. it is better to start off with a mob and a mad crowd ,who has the desire to determine their own destiny thru natural selection all the time, than to artificially implement a system, to ensure that such crowds will never have their true wish expressed.

Becos ultimately, the process of natural consequences will kick in and with the latter, a very bad effect would be the end result.:p

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Food poisoning CONFIRMED!

http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/08/18/nea-moh-probe-food-poisoning-at-yog/

By Republic Polytechnic’s Michelle Weers

Close to 30 Youth Olympic Games (YOG) volunteers were reported to have suffered from food poisoning after consuming their meals in the morning of August 15.

A source told Yahoo! SEA that the volunteers, who were on duty at the triathlon competition at East Coast Park, had diarrhea.

On the same day, the National Environment Agency (NEA) and Ministry of Health (MOH) were notified and they are now investigating the case.

When contacted, the Singapore Youth Olympic Games Organising Committee (SYOGOC) also said they are currently looking into the matter and will be releasing a statement on this issue soon.

The controversy surrounding food for YOG volunteers was also mentioned on Twitter by Singapore blogger, Mr Brown.

He said, “Online forums report a #YOG competition venue with > 30 cases of food poisoning. Formal MOH investigation is allegedly underway.”

This is the second food controversy incident to hit the YOG.

A week ago, another incident on YOG volunteers’ meal packs sparked an online uproar after a volunteer uploaded a photo of their meal pack on Facebook. Netizens also raised concerns over the sub-standard food served to volunteers.

SYOGOC responded by saying: “We are aware of the feedback (on the meal) and have taken immediate action. We will work with the caterers to continually improve the meal standards.”

Over 20,000 people are volunteering in various roles for the YOG, which runs till Aug 26.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Food poisoning CONFIRMED!

Close to 30 Youth Olympic Games (YOG) volunteers were reported to have suffered from food poisoning after consuming their meals in the morning of August 15.

A source told Yahoo! SEA that the volunteers, who were on duty at the triathlon competition at East Coast Park, had diarrhea.

On the same day, the National Environment Agency (NEA) and Ministry of Health (MOH) were notified and they are now investigating the case.

When contacted, the Singapore Youth Olympic Games Organising Committee (SYOGOC) also said they are currently looking into the matter and will be releasing a statement on this issue soon.

The controversy surrounding food for YOG volunteers was also mentioned on Twitter by Singapore blogger, Mr Brown.

He said, “Online forums report a #YOG competition venue with > 30 cases of food poisoning. Formal MOH investigation is allegedly underway.”

This is the second food controversy incident to hit the YOG.

A week ago, another incident on YOG volunteers’ meal packs sparked an online uproar after a volunteer uploaded a photo of their meal pack on Facebook. Netizens also raised concerns over the sub-standard food served to volunteers.

SYOGOC responded by saying: “We are aware of the feedback (on the meal) and have taken immediate action. We will work with the caterers to continually improve the meal standards.”

Over 20,000 people are volunteering in various roles for the YOG, which runs till Aug 26.
This shows that volunteers are not only given dog food, but also stale dog food. While our 'dear' foreign athletes are treated like kings.

Singapore seems to be the only place where foreigners are treated like gods but locals treated like dogs.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This shows that volunteers are not only given dog food, but also stale dog food. While our 'dear' foreign athletes are treated like kings.

Singapore seems to be the only place where foreigners are treated like gods but locals treated like dogs.

Cpt. Goh : (Gobbling up drumsticks and prime meat cutlets at officers' mess.)

NS Pte. : Sir, can I share some, looks yummy.

Cpt. Goh : Share your head, go and eat in cookhouse.

NS Pte. : But the food there very bad.

Cpt. Goh : Bad your head, go eat and don't complain. Make you sign extra then you know.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
YOG should be used as a case study in how not to organise an event. The jokes keep piling up!

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Finally they realize Honesty is the BEST POLICY in this Internet ERA! We can not and should not become North Korea II!

But, one must ask, why do the minister only admit such happenings THREE WHOLE DAY after the food poisoning happens? AND WHERE IS THE APOLOGY?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1075888/1/.html

YOG food poisoning probe will take time: Balakrishnan
By Satish Cheney | Posted: 18 August 2010 2222 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

Dr Vivian Balakrishnan (file pic)

SINGAPORE : Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Vivian Balakrishnan said investigations into the food poisoning incident over the weekend - involving some Youth Olympic Games (YOG) volunteers - will take some time.

However, he stressed that officials have made sure that hygiene standards are in place.

Dr Balakrishnan said: "For myself, I have made it a point everyday to have my meal with the volunteers so that's my way of ensuring quality control - that the food for the volunteers is the same food that I eat.

"You have my assurance that we'll continue to do our best. In a massive operation like this, from time to time, problems will arise, but we will be completely forthright about it. We will do everything that is necessary."

On Sunday, 21 staff working for the Youth Olympic Games Organising Committee reported experiencing diarrhoea and abdominal pain.

The committee said the National Environment Agency had inspected the kitchen of the caterer and confirmed that the hygiene and cleanliness standards and processes are in order.

Prior to the YOG, NEA had imposed stringent hygiene standards on food caterers contracted for the YOG and stepped up hygiene checks at their kitchens.

The 21 affected staff have since recovered.

- CNA/al

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>Dr Balakrishnan said: "For myself, I have made it a point everyday to have my meal with the volunteers so that's my way of ensuring quality control - that the food for the volunteers is the same food that I eat. <<

Got Dua Kang Yao Siu? :oIo:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>Dr Balakrishnan said: "For myself, I have made it a point everyday to have my meal with the volunteers so that's my way of ensuring quality control - that the food for the volunteers is the same food that I eat. <<

Volunteers at a couple of YOG locations get quite good food. Vivienne, we know you better than to belive your words. And the fucker can also have additional meals if the food is not nice. The volunteers can only eat at alloted times.

This is typical hoodwinking by a born and bred PAPie.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Goh, you are right, the whole YOG is a disaster forced down our throat. The cost of $400 million does not include the lost productivity due to all the "volunteering" that is being done. In addition to the school children u mentioned, others being "volunteered" are staff of GLCs, and SAF units. Staff of the latter 2 entities have have been offered free days off or some other compensation if they attend YOG sporting events. e.g. I know one friend who is a NSmen, and his whole unit was offered 1 day off if they attended a football game. U add up all the lost productivity from all these people, and you will see the cost is much higher. In other olympic events, volunteers usually take holidays to volunteer. hence no lost to their companies' productivity. Not here

Also, the final tab will be much higher than $400 million, as many venues events are not sold out as claimed by PAP. The losses from lack of ticket sales will have to be factored in at the end.

The main thing that no one seems to mention is that NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE YOG, outside of S'pore. There is no buzz about it in malaysia, Indonesia, etc. I have travelled to this countries recently, and no media coverage at all. Only in S'pore do we have endless daily diatribe of YOG coverage on the Shit Times, and TV. Truly pathetic.

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear RandomNexus,

Wah, long time no see you around!

You have hit a strong cord in my heart which I have refrained from commenting before this YOG event ends.

The social-cultural mindset has been poisoned by greed of materialism in the guise of elitism and meritocracy. The poison is prescribed by this PAP government.

Goh Meng Seng

GMS, greetings! I don't post as I am too busy. Also the quality of this forum has dropped quite a lot since its early days. I was one of the early group of folks way back more than 12-13 years ago I think, more than a decade ago. Time has flown indeed and this forum has given me very good memories but many of the pioneering forumers are no longer around. Some of the news we got through the forum back then was far superior than 154th, and the quality of the posts back then is something you cannot see again I think. I think the novelty of the internet has now rubbed off. Nevertheless I do drop here on and off just to check if I can catch some interesting posts.

I thought I just shared some views here, and it will be just ramblings. The so-called socio-cultural mindset which we mentioned, is something which has taken root as a result of economic rationality in this country, and the power play in the political spheres. It is not something so simple that is reversible, and it has becoming a pillar within the system, whether political, social, economic and cultural.

You are a rare breed. It is the opposition politicians here that I have the greatest respect. Folks like JBJ though naive and many more of the past, are fellows who fought for a cause yet unappreciated by the majority of the people here. So I always think that opposition politicans are either fools or men of tremendous honour. Fools - not knowing what they are going after and understanding the price they have to possibly pay, and for a generation who may not appreciate you. Tang Liang Hong had this to say that he didn't realise the consequences that would follow his entry into politics. He didn't expect it all. If he did, I do wonder whether he would step into it. Men of honour - knowing the possible consequences and yet entering into politics to serve for a noble cause for fighting on behalf of many who will applaud you but will not go through your struggles.

Not all opposition politicians will be subjected to targeting by the regime for this current age. The reason is that the regime knows its precarious vulnerable state if it doesn't allow opposition at all. With no opposition, all the more, the people will feel a need for one. Hence this is why certain opposition are "allowed" to remain and they are not subjected to the harsher and possibly unjust means to kick them off.

As long as the opposition do not rise to be a significant challenge to the regime, they will be allowed to remain. Change can take place, and to me, it has to be split in PAP itself and one will never know what happens when the Old Man is gone. To date, there is unity in the political ruling party.

What about the people with their so-called socio-cultural mindset? The key mistake that Vivian did was to take for granted, about the volunteers' feelings. He forgot that this is the actual major constituency and not about how the world views Singapore or building a particular brand about Singapore. Secondly He is too concentrated on the latter goal as he didn't realise the practices and means to achieve the second goal will follow "past" habits of action once he set the directives. How would you expect the civil servants to follow your directives? You do what you have generally done that has garnered results. Fines, threats of fines, quiet coercion are common practices and so they are employed once again.

The peasants are conditioned to it, and as long as the regime delivers the economic goods, they have little to complain except to follow. Once in a way, they will rise, but when you offer them the economic incentives, they will back off ... it has happened again and again in this country of ours. Cos they have bought into appreciating the economic benefits that they could do less with less freedom and perhaps witnessing the sufferings of the minority few as long as it is not themselves - such as the fear and apathy here.

The management of economics is the primarily the biggest legitimacy that gives to this regime, and something which they do well, and hence they could afford to ply this argument of the legitimacy of the elitist structure they have created. This elitist structure is necessary as first of all, there is a need to pay when there is an absence of loyalty to humanitarian values that are 'supposed" to drive politics (BTW, I think the real-breed politician knows that there is no such thing as such values. One needs to appear to have them and that will do).

The first generation of PAP leaders and those immediately after the post WW2 generation are mostly people driven by appearing to possess these values. Up to the seventies, PAP still had this generation of people until the early eighties. LKY needed to tranfer "power" and yet wanted to maintain his sphere of influence. The group of people he targeted to transfer some of this power to, is a bunch of technocrats led by Goh Chok Tong, and LKY primarily needed to remove all his comrades of his generation such as Toh Chin Chye, Ong Pang Boon, Devan Nair etc. What tilt it? It is a decision to pay by what a person is "worth", and to increase the incentives for a generation of technocrats to enter government service and replace this generation. 1984 was the biggest entry of this group of folks. In one swipe, I think that is a pivotal event, and it is done with the argument that PAP find it hard to get Singaporeans into the politics as given its lack of economic rewards and every minister-aspiring PAP politician is subjected to tough rigours that many don't think it is worth paying for.

It is the same today and it is just today's pay is so high that many wouldn't mind going these struggles to prove their worth. Something to note, is that the civil service and political service is now so intertwined such that if you are a civil servant especially with a scholar record in the military or admin service sectors, you are expected to serve possibly at the highest levels of the government or GLCs. It is no different from the mandarin service of the China dynasties. As many GLCs now control the economy of Singapore around half of GDP, you cannot run from this point that to climb up these corporate ladders, you have to align yourself with the government, in short, PAP. There is few other choices for those who enter government service as elites.

Given the above, it emerges a system which pay for the talent, and due to it countering conventional norms in the political realm, it becomes necessary to keep using the economic legitimacy to push forward this argument that the elites needed to be paid their "worth". The dictum, repeated some many times, becomes the mantra of today's breed of peasants. This forms the basis of what you hear about the common gripes of the volunteers. If they are volunteering, knowing it is a matter of pride, why grumble the lack of good treatment for food like what the athletes are having or the long hours? Shouldn't it be about national pride and honour? The pappies use the original meaning of volunteering and they forgot what they have preached but some significant number of volunteers remember what they have been "taught". Simply that.

These values and principles are so ingrained in the political-government system that it is impossible to dislodge and every subsequent government and even if the opposition form one, will have to follow. The whole elites who run this country play by these rules. It is similar to what China is experiencing for eg, the communist elites over there have their own system for their food and even leisure space. They are even aware of the value of organic food, and they make sure their families get their supply from special farms targeted for this purpose.

I don't think it is so simple of what is right or wrong, black or white here. I steer away from moralising the wrongs of this system. I think that there are certain practices that PAP has to avoid and change, but I have no direct definite answer what is the substitute for current system. The reason is simple, and people are in general governed by impulses which could make self-interested about their own security at the expense of others. The root lies in the heart of people and it is not possible for a political system to change it. There is no point saying that politics should be about a greater call and will people heed them? The communists in China tried it, and in trying to always think for the common good instead of oneself. It resulted in hypocrisies as well. Cultural Revolution and all the mess in China of the past are created from these hypocrisies. Time was spent in looking for so-called "rightists", folks with capitalism impulses, and putting them in prison or killing them. They were forced to renounce their impulses in front of many. Such was the madness of the system. It took a pragmatic Deng Xiao Ping, following the logic of economic rationality, allowing the room for self-interest, that brings some end this the excesses of communism.

Economic rationality is what Singapore has gone through, and in itself, it has led to its problems which I raise above. But some will argue the benefits outweigh the price, yes, there is perspective in this as well.

There are more that can be said actually but I have rambled enough. I have no desires to step into the political realm as a politician, and these are key ponderings. More than that, a politician needs to fight to gain power, and these involve tactics and means which can be underhanded and cruel. What makes a good politician? One who delivers despite his methods or one with values and can't deliver .. ? Is it possible to have both? That is enough to make one think.

I have no doubt what Singaporeans have voted for.

Good luck on your political quest, and my vote is for you. Do make a better Singapore, GMS.

Last edited:

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
NS man "volunteer".....? Can dun go meh ?

Student "volunteer".....? Can dun go meh?

That is what happen if you always use punishment and reward to achieve your political goal.. U get a whole gang of uninterested "volunteer"..

The very top want YOG as a political tools that they can use it for their election that they are capable of organising internation events.
The 2nd tier fake interest to carry balls ( typical PAP style )

Lastly, the "volunteer" lan lan..

Me, i see the road sign for YOG on the road and a threat to punish those who block the YOG's vehicals just piss me off..( Why they always think of punishment )

Why dun get FTs as volunteer since they always in praise of PAP and LKY..?

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yesterday watch the YOG "live" football Sin vs Mon, PM Lee enjoyed full 90 mins there. He tried to show support and gain back some face... Lucky the boys win infront of Him!

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yesterday watch the YOG "live" football Sin vs Mon, PM Lee enjoyed full 90 mins there. He tried to show support and gain back some face... Lucky the boys win infront of Him!
r u sure u watched the game? they're kids not full-time professionals, n each half was ruled to play 40min only.

anyway, the YOG is a perfect platform for the SSC & MCYS to hunt for new sporting FTs. they realized that the previous batch of FTs they hired quickly expired & retired. now, they're aiming long term

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Volunteers at a couple of YOG locations get quite good food. Vivienne, we know you better than to belive your words. And the fucker can also have additional meals if the food is not nice. The volunteers can only eat at alloted times.

This is typical hoodwinking by a born and bred PAPie.

I guarantee u that if Vivian the Chindian was one of those who kenna lau sai after eating one of the YOG meals, he will loudly KBKB, and the investigation will be swift and painful to the contractor who supplied the food.