• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Yaccob tries to defned his children--but fails

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know very well that these are never given in writing. I was actually surprised that you asked. This forum hopes and helps to break down the wall of obscurity, obtuse policies and the great unknown to the next of one ability. If it was in writing, I would have saved my keystrokes and pasted the link.

You cite personal knowledge from a friend's personal application. The assumption is that some of us must then have pulled it out from thin air. Don't take it the wrong way. We are all doing this for the right reason. There is a body of work accumulated over the years and there are 2 forums that track this. One is SBf and the other is an Expat forum for Singaporeans.

7 years is the first time I heard about it ever. I am also aware that ICA have advised people wrongly in the past. Only CMPB has the authority to advice. ICA spends a lot time handling FTs that they mix things up. The last major policy revisions in this area occurred after the pianist affair where custodial sentence is now mandatory in the sentencing guideline but in not in the law. The other is the de-linking of passport to NS liability which occurred in April 2006 and came into effect in Aug 2006.

pls lah bro...when i said "in writing" i meant actual formal written correspondence wif respect to a formal appln...tot is was obvious, then again guess my assumption ..

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
all i can talk abt is my friend's recent case...3rd generation singaporean married to a british national...real global family as their eldest born in sin, no #2 born canada n no#3 born in the states...

the way i c it...until n unless this opaque system is transformed into a truly transparent one...those wif serious intentions to preserve their kids rights n interests sld probably make sure their kids leave sin sooner rather than later...

7 years applies to those are born to new Singapoans and PRs.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
yup Mindef/CMPB calls the shots on this one n gather my friend's formal appln/correspondence was wif Mindef/CMPB...

as for the 7 yrs cut off...since this is done on a case by case basis wif no formal public precedents available...i guess yr belief is as good as mine...

good luck to those over the age of 7...

7 years is the first time I heard about it ever. I am also aware that ICA have advised people wrongly in the past. Only CMPB has the authority to advice. ICA spends a lot time handling FTs that they mix things up. .

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if I can help. But has your friend acquired a PR VISA from any one of the western destination countries in the first place. By the way, I can guarantee you that no where in the formal correspondence does it say 7 years unless he is a new Singaporean or PR. Why don't you ask him to show you the formal correspondence.
yup Mindef/CMPB calls the shots on this one n gather my friend's formal appln/correspondence was wif Mindef/CMPB...as for the 7 yrs cut off...since this is done on a case by case basis wif no formal public precedents available...i guess yr belief is as good as mine...good luck to those over the age of 7...

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
The cut-off age has been 11 all along. If it is 7, it must have been a change since 2 years ago.

Not sure if I can help. But has your friend acquired a PR VISA from any one of the western destination countries in the first place. By the way, I can guarantee you that no where in the formal correspondence does it say 7 years unless he is a new Singaporean or PR. Why don't you ask him to show you the formal correspondence.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect that NS service centre and front life staff of CMPB have been fielding so many queries from new singaporeans and PRs that they are confused.

As a general rule CMPB will only give you clear direction and to the parent directly and not even thru lawyers when you meet the following conditions
1) You must have valid PR VISA from a western destination country in your Singapore passport.
2) You must have exercised your 1st entry requirement and thereby activating your PR Visa by paying a visit to the country. They want to see the date.
3) All this must be before the age of 11.

Once you have got all the above and only then will they give you detailed instructions on the application of exit permit at age 13 and NS registration at 16.5 and renounciation at age 21. The later parts can be done via email from you new country. Only applies to old "Singaporeans"

The cut-off age has been 11 all along. If it is 7, it must have been a change since 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
never intended to turn this into an argument...just wished to share what i know based on what i believe is accurate up to date info as of 2011...good luck to those wif kids over the age of 7 n who hv yet to leave sin...

Porfirio,

Never meant to be an argument but this is what I know. If it is 7 years old, only the foreign service will have the means to inform those staying overseas and they will need to go through that channel.

Maybe Scroobal is right, they are just incoherent in their execution and most of the time, the foreign service or even ICA gave wrong information.

As you have said, this opaque policy should be made transparent. Apparently, the rule of law is not a common practice nor habit of this government.

Goh Meng Seng

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
i must say that when i first had a chat wif him on this issue i too was v surprised to hear of this 7 yr cut off thinggy...was under the impression that the cut off was before 12 (for the record the whole family left sin when his son was abt 10, dont think the lad even had a sin passport, used his british passport to travel)...understand that in official correspondence wif Mindef/CMPB the 7 yr cut off period was mentioned...not sure abt the PR VISA situation but gather his son's case currently on appeal for what it is worth...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for additional info Bro, now it makes sense. He does not fall in the main category which is Singaporeans migrating. He falls under the other category - he is not considered an emigrant. This applies to PR, New Singaporeans, and those who have acquired citizenship of another country by descent of either or both parent or by birth. In fact this rule is has been there for a long time even before the newer rules for PRs were introduced after HK exodus.

Don't tell this to the parents but no hope in hell.Yaacob's kids are in this category. A number of scholars have gotten into this mess when they had sons born overseas while they did their post -grad. The trick is not to acquire a foreign citizenship even if you entitled to it. Only take it up when you leave as a migrant.

i must say that when i first had a chat wif him on this issue i too was v surprised to hear of this 7 yr cut off thinggy...was under the impression that the cut off was before 12 (for the record the whole family left sin when his son was abt 10, dont think the lad even had a sin passport, used his british passport to travel)...understand that in official correspondence wif Mindef/CMPB the 7 yr cut off period was mentioned...not sure abt the PR VISA situation but gather his son's case currently on appeal for what it is worth...

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
no worries...also looks like what u say makes some sense in this opaque maze?!...

anyways think my friend/wife n his son r resigned to the fact that son shall hv to serve NS barring any unforeseen change...reluctant for son to dodge NS becoz of family financial matters...anyways gather this son is the apple of the eye of his paternal grandparents so he shall be v well taken care of when he returns to sin to serve NS...

Thanks for additional info Bro, now it makes sense. He does not fall in the main category which is Singaporeans migrating. He falls under the other category - he is not considered an emigrant. This applies to PR, New Singaporeans, and those who have acquired citizenship of another country by descent of either or both parent or by birth. In fact this rule is has been there for a long time even before the newer rules for PRs were introduced after HK exodus.

Don't tell this to the parents but no hope in hell.Yaacob's kids are in this category. A number of scholars have gotten into this mess when they had sons born overseas while they did their post -grad. The trick is not to acquire a foreign citizenship even if you entitled to it. Only take it up when you leave as a migrant.