• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP's Png Eng Huat to contest Hougang constituency?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BS aside, WP votes cannot be 55%, dont be sway by 2011GE result as it was caused by ppl worry there may not be even one opposition MP after LTK left for aljunied. i grew up there, ave 3/5/7 was my playground so i know the place better than u. I always there since 1983 and i know the teochew effect is BS, it just happen there more teochews in the area in the 90s and nowaday teochew can barely be heard in the coffeeshop as other dialect groups moved in. as for your 55% theory, how i wish it was true. even during LTK tenure as hougang MP, his highest vote only ard 58% and it one time only and the rest no more than 55%. minus away the neutral, it should be ard 45-48% only.

the only logical way wp to contest in this by election was to convince the ppl to use this opportunity as mean to "grade" the pap performance since may 2011.

You're entitled to your own estimate but my estimate is not from post-GE 2011. It's from pre-GE 2011. Without that figure, LTK wouldn't dare leave Hougang. After two decades or more, HG and PP has built up incumbency inertia as seen in PAP wards. Everywhere else, you can hear people scolding PAP but PAP still wins at the polls. In PP, many people were grumbling that CST is already semi-invalid, the party is breaking up and his wife is a blur auntie. Yet she just missed retaining it by a fraction of a percent.

Last edited:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Good reality check for WP members here. But LTK did garner over 62% in GE2006. However, that is due more to the middle ground swing rather than the growth in hardcore WP supporters.

I read somewhere on a poll done in Hougang. After Yaw-gate, the remaining hardcore support for WP dropped to 47% while other middle ground voters will just wait and see. Apparently the other 18% who had voted WP Yaw in GE2011 decided to hold back their support just yet.

Opinion poll done within a small SMC like Hougang could be pretty accurate. It seems that LTK is not that optimistic as WP Insects here, else he won't be sending flyers on his potential candidates all around Hougang. It seems that he has smelled danger in this by-election.

It is just a reflection of the reality and worries of 蜀中无大将.

Goh Meng Seng

BS aside, WP votes cannot be 55%, dont be sway by 2011GE result as it was caused by ppl worry there may not be even one opposition MP after LTK left for aljunied. i grew up there, ave 3/5/7 was my playground so i know the place better than u. I always there since 1983 and i know the teochew effect is BS, it just happen there more teochews in the area in the 90s and nowaday teochew can barely be heard in the coffeeshop as other dialect groups moved in. as for your 55% theory, how i wish it was true. even during LTK tenure as hougang MP, his highest vote only ard 58% and it one time only and the rest no more than 55%. minus away the neutral, it should be ard 45-48% only.

the only logical way wp to contest in this by election was to convince the ppl to use this opportunity as mean to "grade" the pap performance since may 2011.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Opinion poll done within a small SMC like Hougang could be pretty accurate. It seems that LTK is not that optimistic as WP Insects here, else he won't be sending flyers on his potential candidates all around Hougang. It seems that he has smelled danger in this by-election.

It is just a reflection of the reality and worries of 蜀中无大将.

I rate Png as 大将。How you rate him, that's your opinion. Distributing flyers is smelling danger? Come on. Always be prepared for danger whether you smell it or not, didn't they teach you that in OCS? That's just not to be overwhelmed by complacency. Even PAP distributes flyers in their sure-win constituencies.

Last edited:

BlueWave

Alfrescian
Loyal
蜀中无大将 is exactly the reason why the fat insect was elected as the previous nsp chief. now got 1 大将 the fat insect immediately kena replaced. LOL!

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good reality check for WP members here. But LTK did garner over 62% in GE2006. However, that is due more to the middle ground swing rather than the growth in hardcore WP supporters.

I read somewhere on a poll done in Hougang. After Yaw-gate, the remaining hardcore support for WP dropped to 47% while other middle ground voters will just wait and see. Apparently the other 18% who had voted WP Yaw in GE2011 decided to hold back their support just yet.

Goh Meng Seng

what poo u read? where? npnt lah... if there a poll, how come i dunno? izzit go blk 322 coffeeshop and ask 10 ah peks who eat hainanese curry rice on wednesday evening?

knn, u dare to comment other party no talent. look yourself in the mirror b4 comment about other ppl no talent. 40+ yo still a reservist captain and cannot MR. must be chao keng all the way...

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
gms pui insect then you this 大将 dare to go hougang and challenge wp 小将 or not? any balls? any $ to lose as deposit? none for both i suppose.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Eric did not resigned for not nominated for NCMP, he will resign for not chosen to field for Hougang by-election.

Yes, I thought about this too.

I am sure if Png is not chosen, Glenda and even the malay candidate who recently resigned will be given priority over Eric. It baffles me on how WP rewards member for seniority and leadership.

Firstly, it depends on ground and the suitability of the person to the ground rather than blindly seniority. Glenda, along with Gerald, Lilian, Choong Yong and better at Sengkang, Punggol or Pioneer grounds. Eric and JJ better at Joo Chiat or Moulmein. Secondly, I do not think Glenda and Fazli be put in Hougang without Png. It would be CY or LL, or going down the next would perhaps be Toh Hong Boon or Ng Swee Bee.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, if TCB jumps into the ring, he may fare better than 1 to 2% but still lose deposit.

No lah. TCB has too much national profile to get 2%. He will manage 10%-15%, maybe still lose deposit, but cause WP to lose with around 40%.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're entitled to your own estimate but my estimate is not from post-GE 2011. It's from pre-GE 2011. Without that figure, LTK wouldn't dare leave Hougang. After two decades or more, HG and PP has built up incumbency inertia as seen in PAP wards. Everywhere else, you can hear people scolding PAP but PAP still wins at the polls. In PP, many people were grumbling that CST is already semi-invalid, the party is breaking up and his wife is a blur auntie. Yet she just missed retaining it by a fraction of a percent.

My own rating is WP to manage 58% to 62% in a straight fight, that without any "scary news". A drop from 64%, but not too much.

Last edited:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway since the fat insect has flown away (slowly) flown away, we can have serious discussion.

I feel that even if WP loses Hougang due to a third candidate, nothing to worry. It is surrounded by Aljunied, 2016 can still win back.

The damage on the third candidate will be heavier. It will discredit the whole party if it comes from a party like NSP or SDP (which said will not go).

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Being teochew won't hurt a candidate but I think the teochew factor has been overrated.

When the PAPzis first lost Hougang, the teochew factor was an easy excuse to explain away the hard work that LTK had put into the ward. In the 20 years that WP had held Hougang, the PAPzis have thrown quite a few teochews at the ward but to no avail.

It's the party, then the candidate and of the candidate, if he/she can communicate on my terms, better.

Yeah as long as dont have the Teochew factor, and Png is as good as he sounds (his rally quite power) he should win the by election. Its good also that WP use senior candidates, dont focus too much on the younger ones..we have enough young ones now.

Eric has no electoral appeal...maybe that is why East Coast never win...

and frens..any update on Angela? Why is only YSL getting the flak and not her? it takes 2 hands to clap hor

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway since the fat insect has flown away (slowly) flown away, we can have serious discussion.

I feel that even if WP loses Hougang due to a third candidate, nothing to worry. It is surrounded by Aljunied, 2016 can still win back.

The damage on the third candidate will be heavier. It will discredit the whole party if it comes from a party like NSP or SDP (which said will not go).

If NSP decides to contest in HG, not only will they risk losing their deposit, but the moral high ground when WP contests in MP GRC, TP GRC in 2016.

My bet is NSP won't contest in HG.

Last edited:

murphy

Alfrescian
Loyal
If NSP decides to contest in HG, not only will they risk losing their deposit, but the moral high ground when WP contests in MP GRC, TP GRC in 2016.

My bet is NSP won't contest in HG.

Brother, you are wrong!. NSP will contest in Hougang, under United Opposition Banner. Candidate will be no other than, you know you..........Nicole Seah.

Muahahahahaha