• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP should buy SMRT/ComfortDelgro shares

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, the PAP first line of attack at every GE is the academic qualifications of the opposition candidates.

Why do folks like you think that the WP is incapable of forming the government? We got to get rid of the PAP planted idea that only the PAP has the talented people to be ministers.

The WP has the talent to form the next government.

jw5

Loyal
I recall that a forummer once referred to another forummer as being "uneducated".

60 points for the first forummer who can provide the nickname (and 5 clones) of that overbearing motherfucker.

LOL ............................... LOL

eremarf

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think I might have been wrong after reading WP's press release today.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/bus-contracting-model/1117834.html

Nationalization can also mean the government owning the facilities and infrastructure but with private companies owning and operating the buses. There are mainly 2 ways of nationalization - one operated fully by the government like a stat board and one leads to some form of competition between private companies.

A true privatized scheme would be something along today's system except without the duopoly of SBS and SMRT. A company gets a blanket approval to set up their own depots, ply certain lines, buy their own buses. This is what the NSP called for - have different companies with their own transport structure and everything.

This was actually implemented in the early 90s, but the smaller companies were squeezed out by lack of funds and could not expand. Today, you can still see a few private buses plying from Raffles Place to some town during peak hours.

Interesting - thanks! :smile:

Yet another area in which PAP might be improving. I think we should give the opposition more votes to encourage the PAP to keep doing the right thing.

sancugat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has the government done a cost analysis on subcontracting versus creating a national bus company? The bus operators could not run it profitably when they had the monopoly. So, the government is going to pay them more to run those routes. That to me is the government propping up business and a waste of our tax dollars.

That's why the new model is a win-win situation for transport operator. They get rid of the loss making portion of the business and in return get a guaranteed fixed service charges from LTA for running the operation. Didn't matter if they do well or not or if the routes are profitable. LTA still pays them the service charges. And best of all, they get to keep all the revenues from non-transport operations such as advertisement, rentals etc. Something that has always been making money. Isn't that the best of both world! This is a classic example of "privatizing the profits, socializing the cost" !!!!!!