• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP Eric Tan quits?

Frens

Alfrescian
Loyal
supposing if ltk dont hv the intention to kick eric tan out, maybe he could create a new 2nd asst sec-gen post for him.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I do not know much about politics but I do know a little about leading people. Hence my two cents and assumptions.

The WP puts Eric Tan in charge of the East Coast GRC because of his leadership abilities which are better than all the rest of the team. He is able to spearhead their drive into East Coast and hence the WP's confidence in him.

The WP puts Gerald Giam as an NCMP because of his ability to verbalize his thoughts and present his arguments. What the WP is doing is to increase their chances of winning the East Coast GRC in the next Election. By putting him as NCMP, the people of East Coast will see his abilities and by extension, believe in the entire East Coast team.

If I am right, then the WP will still retain Eric Tan as the leader of the East Coast GRC with Gerald Giam as the supporting member in the next Election. Both parties' strengths are utilized for the benefit of the party. The result is a win for the East Coast team.

Maybe there can be some dialogue within the WP?

hi there

1. bro, good suggestion.
2. every member has his or her strengths and weaknesses.
3. branding and strategy!

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi there

1. bro, good suggestion.
2. every member has his or her strengths and weaknesses.
3. branding and strategy!

Eric Tan

So old still so childish

Shd spend another 4 years working at the ground and get voted in as a real full mp

not so fake NCMP who can't do shit

PhuaTeKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's a mistake. many uncles and aunties in sg live past 60, and they still comprise a big part of the electorate in 5 years. gambling on youth and putting too much emphasis on age as part of a party renewable strategy can be risky with the most annoying, stubborn and misunderstood voting block... old $500 a month foggies who don't play play on the internet or die but wield tremendous voting and sticking power.

Many uncles and aunties voted for the ruling party because of the 'grow & share' package, upgrading promises and xxx millions 5-year plan, or they are afraid of changes or simply they are just die-hard supporters. The younger voters, however, are not swayed easily by carrots or threats as shown in the recent election. Many of them turned up actively for the opposition rallies and even persuaded their parents and relatives to vote for the oppositions. Isn't it quite obvious which age group of constituents the oppositions should focus more effort to win over in the next 5 years?

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many uncles and aunties voted for the ruling party because of the 'grow & share' package, upgrading promises and xxx millions 5-year plan, or they are afraid of changes or simply they are just die-hard supporters. The younger voters, however, are not swayed easily by carrots or threats as shown in the recent election. Many of them turned up actively for the opposition rallies and even persuaded their parents and relatives to vote for the oppositions. Isn't it quite obvious which age group of constituents the oppositions should focus more effort to win over in the next 5 years?

Most young people do not own homes

That's why the resentment

The SG system is retarded

Need to wait 3 years to get ur flat.. Yew

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many uncles and aunties voted for the ruling party because of the 'grow & share' package, upgrading promises and xxx millions 5-year plan, or they are afraid of changes or simply they are just die-hard supporters. The younger voters, however, are not swayed easily by carrots or threats as shown in the recent election. Many of them turned up actively for the opposition rallies and even persuaded their parents and relatives to vote for the oppositions. Isn't it quite obvious which age group of constituents the oppositions should
focus more effort to win over in the next 5 years?

not referring to really old foggies. there's a generation of 50 something's and disenfranchised (baby boomers) that would easily swing. need to stay with that swingers group.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason why PAP is so successful is because they are very discipline. Everyone toes the party line. If you disagree, you exit gracefully. WP is up and coming because they are doing the same thing.

When Eric was interviewed on TV and say that if WP is offered the NCMP seat for EC GRC he should be offered. He broke the party line first. No candidate should tell other people "YES IT SHOULD BE ME", until the party says it is who.

For someone who thinks he is bigger than the party, and let his ego take over, he cannot remain in the party like PAP or WP. He can let WP announce, say he support, then a week or a month later say he stepping down due to age or whatever and swee swee for everyone.

PhuaTeKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
not referring to really old foggies. there's a generation of 50 something's and disenfranchised (baby boomers) that would easily swing. need to stay with that swingers group.

There will be 4 WP MPs in the 40's to 50's age group to represent them. Adding Eric Tan as a ncmp will not change much to this representation. :smile:

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://youtu.be/R7R3Bh-1A8I

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R7R3Bh-1A8I" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

This was where I last saw Eric Tan on the nomination day morning, and his EC GRC team were together with his proposer seconder assentors etc few blocks from where I live, at about 8:40 in the morning. I checked with him that his nominator are all in order and have spare, so I left him there to go to Singapore Chinese Girls Sch where Tg Pagar GRC nomination was. I offered WP through Yaw Shin Leong that if they needed I can be 1 of the nominator for EC GRC, since my name is registrar of voters there. On polling day, I voted for Eric Tan, but I never saw him.:wink::rolleyes:

Then now he quited WP I guess pissed that they did not give him the NCMP.:(

Too bad he missed by not a lot or happily I would had been so happy to go meet him as my MP, meet the people session? :smile:

Like I said, always it breaks inside the party after winning some seats, it happened to Chiam in SDP in 1991/1992 after winning Ngee Soon Central Bk Gombak & PP. FengShui changed after parliamentary seats are won? What is the curse?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
This is such an odd decision. Eric Tan has worked the ground longer and is a much better speaker than Giam. Age issue aside, I would've thought he was the natural choice for NCMP. He was the only familiar face in the East Coast team for this GE, and many residents relate to him better than the rest of the team. I think the WP CEC has made a mistake. Sad.