• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Woman Becomes First Person to Be Fitted for Bionic Hand That Integrates Nervous and Skeletal Systems

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal

Woman Becomes First Person to Be Fitted for Bionic Hand That Integrates Nervous and Skeletal Systems​

Known as "the real bionic woman," 50-year-old Karin was fitted a few years ago with an advanced robotic limb after losing her right hand in a farming accident

By Sandra Rose Salathe
Updated on October 13, 2023 04:16PM EDT

Pictured: Karin, 50, of Sweden with her new bionic arm

Karin, 50, of Sweden photographed with her new bionic arm.
SWNS

A woman from Sweden has become the first to receive a robotic limb integrated with her nervous and skeletal systems.

Known as "the real bionic woman," 50-year-old Karin was fitted a few years ago with an advanced robotic limb after losing her right hand in a farming accident two decades ago. Karin, whose last name remains undisclosed, endured years of phantom limb pain, and prosthetic limbs provided her little comfort.

“It felt like I constantly had my hand in a meat grinder, which created a high level of stress and I had to take high doses of various painkillers,” Karin said in a news release via EurekAlert!.

Pictured: Karin, 50, of Sweden with her new bionic arm

Karin, 50, of Sweden photographed with her new bionic arm.
SWNS

A study released in Science Robotics on Wednesday reveals that Karin, who underwent surgery in December 2018, can now accomplish 80% of tasks she formerly did with both hands. She can even experiences sensations in her artificial limb.

Researchers highlight that the limb, after three years of enabling Karin to conduct tasks like turning doorknobs and cooking meals, has seamlessly integrated into her daily life.

âBionic womanâ is first to have robotic limb merged with bone â and controlled with her mind

SWNS

To craft Karin's advanced bionic limb, a collaborative team of engineers and surgeons from Sweden, Australia, and Italy pioneered what they deem a groundbreaking solution for those with limb loss, merging surgical techniques, implants and AI.

Karin’s bionic limb was fashioned by using two titanium rods that were anchored to her bone, serving as the connection between her arm and the prosthesis. This surgical method, termed osseointegration, is fundamental to the new bionic technology developed by Prensilia, an Italian prosthetics company.

Pictured: (L-R) Karin and Prof. Max Ortiz Catalan fitting Karin's bionic arm

Karin (left) and Prof. Max Ortiz Catalan photographed fitting Karin's bionic arm.
SWNS

It eliminates the requirement for a socket to connect an amputee's limb to their prosthetic, addressing issues of discomfort, poor fit and challenges in attachment and removal.

Electrodes were then implanted into her severed nerves and arm muscles, connecting them to the prosthesis. Consequently, the device can interpret signals from her motor commands, which initiate bodily movements.

To test the effectiveness of the bionic limb, actions — such as picking up a glass or closing a suitcase zip — were played out in real-time. Although Karin’s surgery took place a few ago, it is suddenly gaining traction due to its successful outcome and advancements in the medical field.

High School Students Create Robotic Hand for Their New Classmate: 'They Changed My Life'

Professor Christian Cipriani of the Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna in Pisa, Italy, emphasized the significance of the moment in the EurekAlert! news release. He explained that Karin's bionic arm represents a "fusion of the most advanced prosthetic and robotic technologies from our institutions, with potential for a profound impact on individuals' lives."

Because of Karin's successful experience, researchers are optimistic that their findings can assist other amputees.

“Karin was the first person with below-elbow amputation who received this new concept of a highly integrated bionic hand that can be used independently and reliably in daily life,” Professor Max Ortiz Catalan, head of neural prosthetics research at the Bionics Institute in Australia and founder of the Center for Bionics and Pain Research in Sweden, said, echoing Cipriani's excitement.

Since beginning the use of the bionic arm in mid-2019, Karin has attested to an improved daily life.

She describes her bionic arm as "life-changing" alleviating her phantom pain and enabling her to reclaim her independence in daily activities.

“I now have better control over my prosthesis, but above all, my pain has decreased,” Karin said. “Today, I need much less medication. For me, this research has meant a lot, as it has given me a better life.”